Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djturbo12345

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2011
hi new to the forum here. i just bought my first mac. its a G5 power mac dual 2.0 ghz and 4 gb of ram. it says in the auction i got it from that it has a ATI Radeon 9600 PRO. the card has one apple display port and one dvi port. i had intended on hooking the mac up to a hd tv using a dvi to hdmi adapter. how ever the screen is just blank when hooking it up. when hooking up a regular hp computer display the mac works fine from the dvi. i went to several places and tryed out different adapters/cables and even different tvs in the stores but still i could get no hd tv to work. ive been searching around on the net and found that several people have there g5's hooked up to hd tvs and they are working fine, and people i have found that are having the same problem as me never get a solution. so my question is.... do i need a different video card??? is there an update for this video card??? also is there a way for me to double check what video card is actually installed in this mac and driver version ( sorry new to macs only had it for a few hours)

also for those of you with a g5 hooked up to a hd tv and working what card are you using.

thanks for any help:)

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
I've never had a G5 to know, but I do know some HDTV inputs can be very picky about the source. Have you checked your TV manual to make sure there isn't a specific HDTV input that favors a computer connection? Some HDTV's won't show a computer's picture if they're hooked up to input 2, instead of input 1, for example.

Also, is your G5 resolution set to whatever the HDTV's maximum resolution is? If it's anything other than the HDTV's resolution, the TV could be having a problem and not displaying it. So set it to 1920x1080 or 1280x720 and see if the TV will display something.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
To check what video card is installed, click on the Apple logo in the top left of your screen, then "About This Mac", a popup box comes up and click on, "More Info." The System Profiler will open, in the left column click on Graphics/Displays and it will tell you about the video card.

djturbo12345

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2011
ok yea i found out how to check the video card details a little after posting and it is correct. it is only 64 mb but im still running over 1080p on this hp monitor so i dont think that is a problem. i have tryed all 6 hdmi inputs on my hd tv in several resolutions and still nothing(i even tryed my brand new yamaha recever as a jumper for all six inputs with all connections and still got nothing). i even tryed an old vga connection and that still wont work hooked up to the tv. kinda stuck .... wanna know what the people that have theres working on theres have?

oh the same connections do work on my PC i made and its running three 46" hd tvs at 1080p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.