PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Previews Windows 8 with Cues from iPad and App Store

Pages : [1] 2 3

MacRumors
Jun 1, 2011, 06:54 PM
http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/01/microsoft-previews-windows-8-with-cues-from-ipad-and-app-store/)

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/Windows-8-start-menu-500x281.png

(http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/Windows-8-start-menu.png)
At AllThingsD, Microsoft previewed (http://allthingsd.com/20110601/exclusive-making-sense-of-what-we-just-learned-about-windows-8/) Windows 8 for the first time. The early look at the upcoming operating system shows some drastic changes.At the heart of the new interface is a new start screen that draws heavily on the tile-based interface that Microsoft has used with Windows Phone 7. All of a user’s programs can be viewed as tiles and clicked on with a touch of a finger.The shown Windows 8 screenshot carries over the tile-based appearance of the Windows Mobile phone, but the new operating system is said to support two types of applications. One is the classic Windows application which will run in the familiar desktop interface, while the second type are HTML5/Javascript applications that look more like a full screen mobile application.

Windows 8 is said to have been influenced by the iPad and is meant to scale from touch screen devices to desktop. The prominent "Store" link seems to suggest that Microsoft will be offering a Windows App Store, much like Apple's Mac App Store. Microsoft promises that while the interface is optimized for touch, it should also work equally well with a mouse and keyboard.

Microsoft details (http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2011/jun11/06-01corporatenews.aspx) many of the changes they demoed:• Fast launching of apps from a tile-based Start screen, which replaces the Windows Start menu with a customizable, scalable full-screen view of apps.
• Live tiles with notifications, showing always up-to-date information from your apps.
• Fluid, natural switching between running apps.
• Convenient ability to snap and resize an app to the side of the screen, so you can really multitask using the capabilities of Windows.
• Web-connected and Web-powered apps built using HTML5 and JavaScript that have access to the full power of the PC.
• Fully touch-optimized browsing, with all the power of hardware-accelerated Internet Explorer 10.Microsoft has not yet announced a timeframe for Windows 8's launch.

Apple, of course, is also reintegrating iOS mobile inspired changes into their next major operating system. Mac OS X Lion has been billed as taking "our best thinking from iPad" and bringing it all to the Mac. These features include full screen apps, the Mac App Store, and more. Apple will be presenting more on Mac OS X Lion at next week's WWDC.

tev-bBF2N-4

Article Link: Microsoft Previews Windows 8 with Cues from iPad and App Store (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/01/microsoft-previews-windows-8-with-cues-from-ipad-and-app-store/)

abhimat.gautam
Jun 1, 2011, 06:58 PM
Good effort, but seems too conflicted…

TechDudeGeorge
Jun 1, 2011, 06:59 PM
I love this, it'll even work on Desktops :D I can't wait :)

tablo13
Good effort, but seems too conflicted…

Yeah, too conflicted for desktop.

Eduardo1971
Seems cluttered (judging from the screen capture) for my own taste. I'm sure it is a work in progress.

On a side note: it seems like people might have to upgrade to 'touch'-enabled PC's; it looks as though Windows 8 seems to be pushing a 'touch-centric' interface with those interactive tiles. Pretty much a paradigm shift away from icons.

Can't wait to see Lion next week!

Slix
Windows is at it again, stealing ideas from Apple. :rolleyes:

Bat6111
Jun 1, 2011, 07:00 PM

as Steave Jobs said "Copy Cat Year"

Les Kern
Pathetic UI. Needs work. But then of course so does OS X.

japanime
Too me, it looks like a children's game, not a robust operating system. Sometimes eye candy gets in the way of getting things done.

roadbloc
Jun 1, 2011, 07:02 PM

How? That looks nothing like OS X. :rolleyes:

bkj216
Jun 1, 2011, 07:03 PM

This looks nothing like iOS. It makes iOS4 look like a child's toy OS. Apple better bring some heat next week or they're about to be leapfrogged in terms of software.

mrmarts
its pretty ironic that Microsoft is turning to ipad and its flawless touch screen interface, I guess they are very envious about the tablet they could had it. Since i left windows from vista I have never used windows 7 and I doubt i will taint my macbook and imac with windows 8, looking forward to the new os x though.

BornAgainMac
I wouldn't touch that....

Couldn't resist. ;)

Michael Scrip
Jun 1, 2011, 07:04 PM
It's a good solid effort for making Windows more tablet/finger friendly.

But 90% of Windows systems will be desktops/laptops with keyboards/mice... running "normal" Windows software.

The touch interface is great... until you launch a regular windows program. Then it turns into the same ol' Windows.

Bat6111
Jun 1, 2011, 07:04 PM

up there at the article "influences by the iPad :apple:

roadbloc
Jun 1, 2011, 07:06 PM
up there at the article "influences by the iPad :apple:
Sorry if I'm being dumb here... but that to me looks nothing like iOS. It looks like WP7, which works in a much different way (and what looks like a more innovative way might I add) than iOS.

Dr Kevorkian94
this is pretty cool, but lets hope for people who use windows its all its cracked up to be. i mean it was all supposed be nice and fluid and applications were supposed to open up quick in every other version of windows, and look how that turned out lol. but it does look pretty cool lets just hope it works.

swb1192
It just looks like a layer on top of the OS, not the OS itself...

iSimx
Jun 1, 2011, 07:07 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

I applaud Microsoft! it's a good effort. Sure there are improvements to be made but this is a huge change to the ui

wankey
I think the UI is great. The multi colors help a user read instantly that each part does and creates color memory.

However, i was disgusted when they went to the regular Windows 7 UI, it feels like Windows 8 is merely another layer on top of an already ridiculously overweight OS. THey need to lightening it a little bit or at least make the UI feel similar

All in all the touch based UI is great, the mouse based UI is ridiculously old.

neko girl
Windows just jumped the shark. Can't wait for ChromeOS to eat into its marketshare.

neiltc13
this is pretty cool, but lets hope for people who use windows its all its cracked up to be. i mean it was all supposed be nice and fluid and applications were supposed to open up quick in every other version of windows, and look how that turned out lol. but it does look pretty cool lets just hope it works.

You clearly haven't used Windows Phone 7. It's at least as fast as shown in this video on a weak mobile phone processor. A full desktop processor will have no problems doing what is shown here.

Mattsasa
Well not that we didn't already know this but jeez,

The rise of the tablet is sooner than I thought,

full-screen apps, multi-touch, app-store, html5, onscreen keyboards!

This also means that this will prolly be able to be hacked onto the ipad once its launched

This will prolly kill android tablets

Gonky
Jun 1, 2011, 07:08 PM
Much as I love OSX and will be using Lion, I think that looks pretty good. Microsoft have made some pretty brave design choices in the past year!

jonnysods
Jun 1, 2011, 07:09 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

Interesting.

I'd like to hear more of under the hood changes. Take some more bloat out of Windows.

Laird Knox
Jun 1, 2011, 07:10 PM
I like a lot of the features they demonstrated, however that interface would be hideous with a mouse. Looks like a good start to a tablet OS though.

ArtOfWarfare
Jun 1, 2011, 07:10 PM
Everything looked so confusing...

tiles look pretty awful. He started talking about how the weather panel could tell him the weather, but it took me several seconds (basically until he tapped it,) for me to be able to find the tile... whereas if it were just an icon, I'd instantly recognize it. Maybe they just need more distinctive artwork for apps.

Other than that, a lot of gestures seemed unintuitive. He was seriously grabbing apps from out of nowhere, and it seemed like he had no idea which apps he was going to get when he reached.

And finally... regarding changing the size of split screen apps... that isn't live updating? Seriously? We still have stupid lines being drawn saying "This is where the bounds of the windows will be, but I don't feel like actually drawing the window until you let go." Lazy and ugly.

I'm scared of what Lion is going to look like.

cycomiko
Jun 1, 2011, 07:11 PM
Windows 8 is said to have been influenced by the iPad

Said? by who?

Because I want to find out who their dealer is.

kjjnk
Jun 1, 2011, 07:11 PM
And people were worried about Lion? Lol...

DTphonehome
Jun 1, 2011, 07:12 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Definitely a new approach for MS, but I don't see that touch interface working well with mouse and keyboard, or the standard interface working well with touch. This whole touch interface just looks like a skin to me.

Grimer4
Jun 1, 2011, 07:12 PM
I have to hand it to Microsoft... It actually looks pretty good. I have a few concerns over the integration of touch sensitivity on a desktop screen. I'd say this looks more "Sophisticated" than the "Corporate-machine" they are trying to get away from. Sophistication is a good move to take, Apple-hardcore-fanboys Might* flame me and say Microsoft is trying to be Apple... But in all honesty, All Technology companies want to be Apple, ASUS for example had that keynote where they wanted to a give an 'Apple feel'. and we all have to remember Windows is Microsoft's flagship product, They are not playing catch-up (anymore) to OS X unlike the Mobile Windows to iOS.

Laird Knox
Jun 1, 2011, 07:13 PM
This looks nothing like iOS. It makes iOS4 look like a child's toy OS. Apple better bring some heat next week or they're about to be leapfrogged in terms of software.

About to? Win 8 doesn't even have a release date. :rolleyes:

DustinT
Man, this feels so much like Window ME, also known as the worst version of Windows evar.

*LTD*
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Good god. :rolleyes:

Thats one ugly UI.

na1577
Jun 1, 2011, 07:14 PM
However, i was disgusted when they went to the regular Windows 7 UI, it feels like Windows 8 is merely another layer on top of an already ridiculously overweight OS.

I somewhat agree. I don't think Windows 7 is bloated, but it is excessive for a tablet.

What Microsoft should be doing is designing a form of Windows Phone 7 for tablets, not stuffing Windows Phone 7 pieces into their desktop OS.

I'm disappointed because I think they have two great things here (touch and traditional interfaces), but they don't belong together.

rorschach
Jun 1, 2011, 07:15 PM
Wow, that "tile" interface is awful. And before anyone says it — yes, the rows of icons on iOS aren't the greatest either. But it's pretty easy to quickly pick out one icon from the rest. It's difficult to instantly tell which tile is which — they're solid colored rectangles with some text.

darkplanets
Jun 1, 2011, 07:15 PM
Am I the only one that hates the "tiles" look? I think it looks like crap, quite frankly.

nagromme
Jun 1, 2011, 07:17 PM
They may get it badly wrong (and even if they don’t, people hate change)... but it’s too early to say that, and I’m glad to see them taking risks and DOING something significantly new and different.

I hope what eventually ships is truly a break from Windows' past. One is needed. And I’d rather see OS X competing against that than against yet-another-bloated-evolution-of-the-same-old-Windows.

P.S. I like the look :) Much like Windows Phone 7 for Mobile, I wouldn’t want to USE the interface I see, but as an image to look at... I do like it.

S.Jobs
Jun 1, 2011, 07:17 PM
this actually looks really good. time to invest in Microsoft.

DustinT
Jun 1, 2011, 07:18 PM
Sorry if I'm being dumb here... but that to me looks nothing like iOS. It looks like WP7, which works in a much different way (and what looks like a more innovative way might I add) than iOS.

I basically agree with the above comments. I've used Windows since 3.0 and this just looks like a UI shell to simplify the pc for those too stupid to use one now. Ok, I get that the touch interface is perfect for phone and even tablets. Simply giving that idea a couple of vitamins and upsizing it for a pc will not make it work. There's a completely different way of working with a computer this I'm not really sure this adresses.

Honestly, both Lion and Windows 8 touch interfaces look pretty gimmicky to me. I really hope there's more than meets the eye.

*LTD*
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

That whole Courier idea would have been interesting.

But a concept video isn't a product.

WiiDSmoker
How can anyone troll this? This looks truly amazing.

coder12
... HTML 5 belongs in my browser. C++ belongs on my desktop. I'm gonna have to pass I guess, even Apple saw the limits in the tablet area with Lion...

DustinT
They may get it badly wrong (and even if they don’t, people hate change)... but it’s too early to say that, and I’m glad to see them taking risks and DOING something significantly new and different.

I hope what eventually ships is truly a break from Windows' past. One is needed. And I’d rather see OS X competing against that than against yet-another-bloated-evolution-of-the-same-old-Windows.Yup, I hope you are right. There's a lot of stagnation around at the moment.

Eidorian
Jun 1, 2011, 07:19 PM
I did not like the tiles for the phone but it appears to work quite well on a larger display. The classic Windows 7 desktop seemed almost out of place. This is x86 operating system. I expect the ARM not to have the desktop at all but strictly tiles.

The Start page appears to bring a news feed like attitude to the login screen and just post-login. Flip in for what you need to know and put the machine back to sleep. That behavior is already being shown on the Windows Phone 7.

AppleScruff1
Jun 1, 2011, 07:20 PM

To a fanboy, any os is copying Apple.

Windows just jumped the shark. Can't wait for ChromeOS to eat into its marketshare.

And Apples too.

Everything looked so confusing...

tiles look pretty awful. He started talking about how the weather panel could tell him the weather, but it took me several seconds (basically until he tapped it,) for me to be able to find the tile... whereas if it were just an icon, I'd instantly recognize it. Maybe they just need more distinctive artwork for apps.

Other than that, a lot of gestures seemed unintuitive. He was seriously grabbing apps from out of nowhere, and it seemed like he had no idea which apps he was going to get when he reached.

And finally... regarding changing the size of split screen apps... that isn't live updating? Seriously? We still have stupid lines being drawn saying "This is where the bounds of the windows will be, but I don't feel like actually drawing the window until you let go." Lazy and ugly.

I'm scared of what Lion is going to look like.

I'm sure anything is too complex for someone used to a Mac.

Man, this feels so much like Window ME, also known as the worst version of Windows evar.

How much time have you had using Windows 8? Could you give us some hands on information? I'd love to hear how it stacks up to Windows 7.

Good god. :rolleyes:

Thats one ugly UI.

Of course it is. Only something from Uncle Steve looks good to Apple clouded eyes.

I somewhat agree. I don't think Windows 7 is bloated, but it is excessive for a tablet.

What Microsoft should be doing is designing a form of Windows Phone 7 for tablets, not stuffing Windows Phone 7 pieces into their desktop OS.

I'm disappointed because I think they have two great things here (touch and traditional interfaces), but they don't belong together.

Have you considered that powerful tablets running a real os may take the place of notebooks?

Nishi100
Jun 1, 2011, 07:21 PM
Now that's what I call inconsistent; the first UI seems great for tablets, but NOT for desktops, the second UI is basically normal windows, which is what you'll need for doing power things. Even browsing the web with a mouse on the new UI would be terrible.

All they've done is add an extra UI ("but underneath it all, it's still windows"), which isn't good for touch screen desktops - you want to use that screen space, not waste it on 1 and a 1/2 apps, and, more so, for desktops with a mouse, and laptops. The only useful thing for the new UI would be good for is tablets, and Netbooks, because of their lack of processor power, and small screens.

If I was forced to use this I would go straight back to 'classical' view. Apple has done it right: one operating system for tablets (iPads) and one for computers, even if Lion is a bit dumbed down, you can choose (launchpad or stacks or desktop).

Microsoft take some of Apple's advice, sure add elements from mobile to desktop (widget tiles, maybe), but don't combine a tablet and a desktop OS.

I not even going to try to use a mouse with that new UI; when I need to use windows, it will not be Windows 8's new UI, it'll be the old: Win 7 UI beneath it all; so what's the point in upgrading, if I wont use the new features; I don't have / plan on buying a touchscreen Window's tablet or a touch screen desktop - I like my trackpad, and my mouse.

braintumor
Jun 1, 2011, 07:21 PM
Windows 8 looks like Windows 7 with a secondary touch GUI, just like you use the Windows Media Center on existing Windows versions for remote control.

If that is all, I'm pretty sure it will be a fail on notebooks and desktops, because nearly everybody would prefer to work with keyboard and mouse.

And in case this is just a secondary GUI, I'm looking forward how this will perform on tablet devices when the core of the OS is basically a full fledged Windows operation system.

boss.king
Jun 1, 2011, 07:22 PM
I'm actually impressed. as long as I can still get my basic laptop functionality out of this, I'd use it. If I can get it completely integrated with a Window 7(8?) phone I'd be pretty impressed... darn it, too many impressive choices these days

InsanelyApple
Jun 1, 2011, 07:23 PM
I was wanting Windows 8 to be built completely from scratch and drop the 20+ years of legacy support. Sometimes a fresh start is good. Apple figured that out during the Intel transition. Also hopefully it won't cost $199, something like $99 would be better.

Aniday
Jun 1, 2011, 07:23 PM
The whole Start Screen touch thing jumps over 9000 sharks.

It's waaay too touch oriented for what's supposed to be a hardware-universal OS. I can't imagine any computer-savvy Windows user ever using the silly Start Screen tile thing. It's a toy appealing to the most casual air-headed users.

They took the idea of mobile touch OS integration from Apple and went waaaay overboard.

winterspan
Jun 1, 2011, 07:24 PM
I wouldn't touch that....

Couldn't resist. ;)

there is a double-pun in that one...

bitsoda
Gotta hand it to Microsoft, Windows 8 looks quite innovative. That thumb keyboard layout is very welcome. While this video may have left viewers with unanswered questions, there's no denying this is one of the more exciting Microsoft product demos in recent memory. It's good to know Apple will have some competition which equates to a better product for consumers everywhere.

Michael Scrip
this actually looks really good. time to invest in Microsoft.

It should have always been a good time to invest in Microsoft... they are the world's largest software company.

Their secret is that when someone buys "a computer" there's a 90% chance it's running Windows. Windows machines tend to sell themselves.

I'm not sure Windows 8 will cause a huge jump in Windows adoption or Microsoft's stock price... but it certainly can't hurt.

Viva La Progress

AppleScruff1
Am I the only one that hates the "tiles" look? I think it looks like crap, quite frankly.

Of course you hate it, but if Uncle Steve made it it would be great, wouldn't it?

Wow, that "tile" interface is awful. And before anyone says it — yes, the rows of icons on iOS aren't the greatest either. But it's pretty easy to quickly pick out one icon from the rest. It's difficult to instantly tell which tile is which — they're solid colored rectangles with some text.

Yea, those iOS icons are works of art.

I've used Windows since 3.0 and this just looks like a UI shell to simplify the pc for those too stupid to use one now.

So it should really appeal to Mac users.

WiiDSmoker

You're so delusional it's not even funny.

Jason Beck
I would love to see a complete overhaul and new OS from Microsoft. This looks like it could be pretty snappy. Windows 7 is great, using it right now in fact. I think this will be something good for Microsoft. They are taking elements from the best of UI's and putting in what people want.

People want snappy interfaces on tablets as much as they do for their desktop. I really hope it works. The UI right now doesn't look bad. I like the grid system. I am sure they won't get rid of some sort of taskbar though. Meh, I would change the background black and the tiles would look great. Purple sucks : ). Or put a picture as the background and have the tiles/widgets in front.

The main thing I am stoked about is the scalable interface. Going from tablet to desktop with apps seems to be a priority for Microsoft right now and streamlining the computing experience. I wouldn't dismiss this Windows 8 as hooplah till we are trying betas. Like it or not Windows 7 is the best Windows since XP. Microsoft knows this, and they know what makes it good. Good job guys, can't wait. I think this will be either an epic fail or epic win for them. I don't see them releasing another incarnation of what we have now.

It's time for something different as the computer experience is changing.

Grimer4
Jun 1, 2011, 07:25 PM
On the matter of Tiles

In my own un-proffessional opinion, they look a lot better than rows and rows of icons... How many of you seen a cluttered desktop like this (http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs27/i/2009/249/1/6/Cluttered_Desktop_space_by_calcipher.png). Yeah... this is what Microsoft is improving upon and I say it looks a lot better. The tiles thing is a part of pretty much all Microsoft products now from Xbox and Mobile, Microsoft is attempting to build/(Change from the old) a certain Character within it's products that are recognisably Microsoft, much like how all McDonald's food anywhere distinctively tastes like McDonald's food. I definitely could see this working on a tablet device for once, Windows 7 looks pretty much un-useable on a tablet device.

InsanelyApple
It is.
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/06/windows8-d9-demo-17.jpg

Yamcha
Very impressive, honestly you guys got to admit Microsoft got this right!! I love it, but yeah clearly the experience will be much much better on touch devices, still you know this may get me back on Windows.. :P

This clip has impressed me more the OSX Lion, but thats just me, not that I don't love OSX Lion :P, but it'll be interesting to see the final product

flopticalcube
I always seem to skip a version of a MS OS but I'll wait to see what the public beta looks like.

Michael Scrip
Jun 1, 2011, 07:26 PM
Have you considered that powerful tablets running a real os may take the place of notebooks?

As long as companies still offer traditional laptops... I'll be happy.

You can pry my keyboard and wireless mouse out of my cold, dead hands :)

InsanelyApple

Couldn't agree more!

From one of my later posts:

Come on guys. What's with the thumbing down? What's wrong with wanting ChromeOS to succeed?

1) I had a Cr-48. It was great. One of the best laptops I ever owned. I bricked it though so I'm going to buy a Chromebook when they are released June 15th.
2) Competition is good for the consumers, so you all should be cheering for ChromeOS and MeeGo to get some market share, so Microsoft and Apple will have to do more and not get lazy.
3) Is it because Google makes Android?

S.Jobs
It should have always been a good time to invest in Microsoft... they are the world's largest software company.

Their secret is that when someone buys "a computer" there's a 90% chance it's running Windows. Windows machines tend to sell themselves.

I'm not sure Windows 8 will cause a huge jump in Windows adoption or Microsoft's stock price... but it certainly can't hurt.

Viva La Progress
yes but i see this competing in the tablet market. also college students might give this a shot if lion isnt any good. but i am liking what i am seeing in windows 8

skidog1111
Jun 1, 2011, 07:27 PM
Competition is good for consumers. Whether you are mac or pc, iphone or android or windows.

oliversl
Ugly
Or the PC is really dead

yodachen
Microsoft still can't get rid of the idea of selling more operating system = generating more income. That UI looks good, but that is just something developed under this logic, "selling more OS." They try to fit windows in any devices that need OS or whatever devices they think the windows can fits into. It is a good attempt, but it will end up like the current windows phone. Just get the "Surface" to the market as quickly as possible since this windows phone like UI would need the companion of the "Surface."

Dr Kevorkian94
Jun 1, 2011, 07:29 PM
You clearly haven't used Windows Phone 7. It's at least as fast as shown in this video on a weak mobile phone processor. A full desktop processor will have no problems doing what is shown here.

actually i have, friends month old laptop and same old windows. ill give it its not that bad but like i said still slow and also programs dont open snappy.

roadbloc
Jun 1, 2011, 07:31 PM
It is.
Image (http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/06/windows8-d9-demo-17.jpg)

I'm pretty sure that microsoft will come up with a more elegant solution than that between now and whenever it is planned to be released.

Nishi100
The new UI is fantastic for a tablet; Windows 7 was too much for a tablet.

The new UI is fantastic for small touchscreen netbooks; not for a desktop with a mouse, or a 15+ inch laptop.

It's Ok for a desktop touchscreen; but they've put too much mobile into their desktop OS; MS here's an idea: widget tiles, that don't cover the whole fricken screen.

All it seems like is an add-on pack, to go on top of the old UI.

InsanelyApple
How much time have you had using Windows 8? Could you give us some hands on information? I'd love to hear how it stacks up to Windows 7.

Microsoft has a curse where every other OS is failed to be doomed. Windows ME and Vista are good examples because 98>Me>XP>Vista>7>8. ;)

neiltc13
Jun 1, 2011, 07:32 PM
actually i have, friends month old laptop and same old windows. ill give it its not that bad but like i said still slow and also programs dont open snappy.

Windows Phone 7, not Windows 7:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_xODgVRIsPR8/TIj81v0kBFI/AAAAAAAAByU/Dt3tk6WK-ts/s1600/WindowsPhone7.jpg

D4F
Jun 1, 2011, 07:33 PM
Oooohhh I'm loving it.

iDisk
Jun 1, 2011, 07:33 PM
APPLAUSE TO MS!!!!!!

This is by far the best implementation of Technologies I've seen, they actually have created a viable alternative for those who don't wish to be apart of Apple's eco-system... Windows 8 looks fresh, and somewhat innovative... Can't wait to see what Apple does monday though.

lilcosco08
Jun 1, 2011, 07:35 PM
Can't wait for the iPad to be making this shift.

VenusianSky
From how I interpreted the demo, the tile/mobile mode is optional. You can use the classic desktop interface with keyboard/mouse computers.

More like Apple and Microsoft stealing from the open source community (but isn't that what open source is for?) There have been open source desktop managers that OS X and Windows Vista/7 resemble for 12+ years.

DotComName
Now that's awesome!!!

BUT: I HATE HOW LEGACY APPS LOOK... BRINING UP THE OLD TASKBAR AND SUCH. HOPEFULLY BEFORE THIS GOES MAINSTREAM, MICROSOFT WILL LET LEGACY APPS RUN IN A MORE WINDOWS 8 LOOKING WAY..

Besides that though, this is awesome! Touch is the future baby! I hope Apple says **** you to Mac OS soon and just creates a desktop variant of iOS.. That's what everyone wants anyways.

Michael Scrip
Jun 1, 2011, 07:36 PM
yes but i see this competing in the tablet market. also college students might give this a shot if lion isnt any good. but i am liking what i am seeing in windows 8

Good point.

It's still gonna take a lot of work from developers to make "finger friendly" versions of their software.

What we've seen so far from Microsoft is the launcher. It still runs legacy Windows applications underneath... none of which are very tablet friendly.

Plus... most people with tablets also have a laptop or desktop.

It's gonna be a while before a tablet... even running Windows... will be a primary machine. In my opinion...

AppleScruff1
I would love to see a complete overhaul and new OS from Microsoft. This looks like it could be pretty snappy. Windows 7 is great, using it right now in fact. I think this will be something good for Microsoft. They are taking elements from the best of UI's and putting in what people want.

People want snappy interfaces on tablets as much as they do for their desktop. I really hope it works. The UI right now doesn't look bad. I like the grid system. I am sure they won't get rid of some sort of taskbar though. Meh, I would change the background black and the tiles would look great. Purple sucks : ). Or put a picture as the background and have the tiles/widgets in front.

The main thing I am stoked about is the scalable interface. Going from tablet to desktop with apps seems to be a priority for Microsoft right now and streamlining the computing experience. I wouldn't dismiss this Windows 8 as hooplah till we are trying betas. Like it or not Windows 7 is the best Windows since XP. Microsoft knows this, and they know what makes it good. Good job guys, can't wait. I think this will be either an epic fail or epic win for them. I don't see them releasing another incarnation of what we have now.

It's time for something different as the computer experience is changing.

Hopefully they will allow anyone to download the beta like they did for Windows 7. They really listened to the users input and made many changes in the final release. They should do this again with all future releases. Give the people what they want, not what you think they should want.

Competition is good for consumers. Whether you are mac or pc, iphone or android or windows.

Obviously you're not a real Apple fan. Real Apple fans don't want competition or choices. They want all companies to fail except for Apple. And they want Uncle Steve to rule the world.

Microsoft still can't get rid of the idea of selling more operating system = generating more income. That UI looks good, but that is just something developed under this logic, "selling more OS." They try to fit windows in any devices that need OS or whatever devices they think the windows can fits into. It is a good attempt, but it will end up like the current windows phone. Just get the "Surface" to the market as quickly as possible since this windows phone like UI would need the companion of the "Surface."

If you didn't sell hardware, and only sold software, what would be your strategy for making money, selling it on a limited number of products or manufacturers? And why wouldn't you want your product to be similar across all platforms? Can you think of a company that has done that?

gco212
Great job to Microsoft, I think they identified that there is a very real possibility of tablet PC's and desktop/laptops merging as the tablet with dock sold separately concept takes hold. In that instance, both the touch and traditional interfaces are needed and this takes care of that issue.

AppleScruff1
Jun 1, 2011, 07:39 PM
Microsoft has a curse where every other OS is failed to be doomed. Windows ME and Vista are good examples because 98>Me>XP>Vista>7>8. ;)

I'd like to hear about your personal experience with Windows 8.

phpmaven
The whole Start Screen touch thing jumps over 9000 sharks.

It's waaay too touch oriented for what's supposed to be a hardware-universal OS. I can't imagine any computer-savvy Windows user ever using the silly Start Screen tile thing. It's a toy appealing to the most casual air-headed users.

They took the idea of mobile touch OS integration from Apple and went waaaay overboard.

I would imagine that you would see a quite different startup screen and a desktop/laptop. I'm also quite impressed. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

Originally Posted by neko girl

ChromeOS? Are you serious? It's a complete joke at this point. Have you tried running it? It's basically the Chrome browser with a few addons.

tekker
-Buy iPad 2
-Get Windows 8
-VNC Client
-???
-PROFIT!!!

Apple...
Jun 1, 2011, 07:40 PM
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.13548/24.871; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

If Apple locks down Mac OS X someday, will Windows be offered through the Mac App Store? Kinda off-topic, but hey.

InsanelyApple
Jun 1, 2011, 07:40 PM
Couldn't agree more!

Come on guys. What's with the thumbing down? What's wrong with wanting ChromeOS to succeed?

1) I had a Cr-48. It was great. One of the best laptops I ever owned. I bricked it though so I'm going to buy a Chromebook when they are released June 15th.
2) Competition is good for the consumers, so you all should be cheering for ChromeOS and MeeGo to get some market share, so Microsoft and Apple will have to do more and not get lazy.

Dagless
Jun 1, 2011, 07:41 PM
That looks quite good I think. I'm quite excited for Windows 8. Recently bought Win 7 for my new iMac and even that is a superb OS.

But yeah. I like how folk are comparing it to the iPad. It's as if the Wii UI doesn't predate iOS.

Jeaz
I must say, I'm quite impressed by what I saw. Looks like MS has put quite some thought into it, although, I am a bit reluctant how well it'll work in a mouse and keyboard environment. Still, interesting that MS are finally getting what you should have on a tablet OS and they are bringing back more to the desktop that Apple actually dared for Lion.

I really do feel the normal desktop/laptop OS need a revolution, rather than tiny evolution so this is gonna be fun to follow.

CarlHeanerd
Seems like a Metro UI dashboard program slapped on top of Windows 7. While I liked the convenience displayed by this Metro stuff, it just doesn't seem integrated at all. It's like Microsoft is scared of changing the way that users interact with their computers. How will this be useful for a desktop user with mouse and keyboard? I just don't see this taking off unless they revamp the entire UI to be something more like this.

a.phoenicis
Jun 1, 2011, 07:42 PM
I like the idea of the Tile-based UI for a mobile device, where the device's purpose is various quick-scan information-based apps.

I'm not sure I see where a Tile-based UI for a desktop environment makes any sense. My day-to-day computer usage is roughly divided between the following applications:

Textmate
XCode
Photoshop
Aperture
Email
MS Office
OmniGraffle
Web Browser (where I regularly browse between roughly a dozen different sites, plus occasional surfing).

Other than email, how are "Tiles" going to help me with any of those applications? What kind of "live information" would an "Aperture" or "Photoshop" tile usefully be able to tell me?

Granted, most of these are Mac applications, but substitute the above applications for Windows-centric apps, and I still fail to see how my work day is in any way improved by a "Live Tiles" UI.

Apple...
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.13548/24.871; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

I'd like to hear about your personal experience with Windows 8.

Do you not understand what he's trying to get at?

punchwalk
I hope this will be as good in reality as it looks here. MS may have finally shown a spark of innovation after all these years of being stagnant.

scottsjack
It looks pretty nice, and it's early in the planning cycle. The tiles could be useful down the side of a large display.

As a Windows 7 user I hope MS concentrates on two things; First changing settings is still confusing. Even understanding that Windows offers a lot more buttons to push than OS X it's still hard to find some things. As an example my Macs keep plugging along faithfully on my network whereas W7 is always connected to the Internet but only occationally shows up on the other computers. The more I fiddle with the problem and go on line the more confused I get. To me Windows 7 is definitely not "simpler" than XP.

Secondly W7 works great with Photoshop and Canon DPP but it's really ugly to look at. From those light-blue icons and their text to the too-wide border around each window it's not something I want to look at very much. I've adjusted the colors to more grays and darker blues but I can't do much with the icons.

I'm using Windows 7 Pro 64-bit on a late 2009 mini 2.66GHz C2D and it really does perform well. It's snappier than SL was so the basic qualities are there. Since there is always discussions about whether Apple is going to keep supporting pro equipment or just concentrate on iOS keeping Windows around is a very good thing.

apolloa
I only see this as an epic Fail!? Seriously, you want a tile based OS on your DESKTOP?? And a MS OS at that!!! No, keep the tiles for mobiles and tablets, at a push laptops, but please lets keep the mouse and keyboard as STILL the primary input device??

Actually, this could also mean Apple have a chance to steal even more sales from MS!! :D:apple:

ablack774
Am I the only one who feels that this is a bad move?

It seems perfect for a tablet or media touch computer but I really can't see it being used by corporations in a work environment. It seems like they are aiming it more at the Home User rather than a work environment.

Maybe I am just reluctant of change, but I cant see myself sitting down and using that.

AppleScruff1
Jun 1, 2011, 07:43 PM

Real Apple fans don't like competition. They envision a world where Apple is the only company on earth, selling all products and making record products.

kresh
As long as companies still offer traditional laptops... I'll be happy.

You can pry my keyboard and wireless mouse out of my cold, dead hands :)

Amen

InsanelyApple

If Apple locks down Mac OS X someday, will Windows be offered through the Mac App Store? Kinda off-topic, but hey.

Good question I'm curious about that now too!

Apple...
Jun 1, 2011, 07:44 PM

Real Apple fans don't like competition. They envision a world where Apple is the only company on earth, selling all products and making record products.

Proof? Ha! You have none. :D

AppleScruff1
Jun 1, 2011, 07:44 PM

Do you not understand what I am trying to get at?

TomP80
Jun 1, 2011, 07:45 PM
Very interesting.

If 2011 is year of the copycat with the flood of sub-standard Android tablets, it could well be that 2012 is the year of real competition to iOS.

If implemented correctly, Apple's "app-dominance" will really be challenged by this. Apple's trump card with iOS has always been its app-store and its ecosystem.

If a theoretical Windows 8 device could run the millions of windows apps, this really would blow Apple's 350k-app iOS app store out of the water. And if we are talking ecosystems, having seemless integration (and full networking capability) with 85% of all computing devices means you are starting from a pretty strong position.

As others have said - it definately looks like the touch-based OS is really just a shell running over the top of Windows 7, however this is not necessarily a bad thing. It might well end up giving users the best of both worlds. Intuitive and fun touch-based apps for home, and the ability to run real business applications, with real networking, real multitasking and real file systems when required.

This actually really highlights the problem that Apple has with its split operating systems (iOS and OSX). Will make the upcoming iOS5/Lion launch very interesting.

Don't forget - competition is a good thing.

ten-oak-druid
In the US 1/3 of Windows users are on Windows 7 and 1/3 are still on XP. The rest are using Vista and other OS. I wonder if Windows 8 will grab Windows 7 users first or the XP and older people?

Snow leopard is the dominate OS X used. OS X overall is around 15% market share last I heard.

Apple...

It was a joke, but all I'm seeing from you is... trolling? Hmm. :rolleyes:

AppleScruff1
Jun 1, 2011, 07:46 PM

I read the Apple forums. I know what they want. :D:D

rorschach
Yea, those iOS icons are works of art.

I never said they were "works of art"...but icons are a lot easier to distinguish than big blocks of white text on solid-colored backgrounds.

InsanelyApple

One of the downfalls of a Mac forum...

Claefer
Jun 1, 2011, 07:47 PM
Is the new Start screen and tiles concept different from Dashboard and widgets?

InsanelyApple
Jun 1, 2011, 07:48 PM

I'm just going on trends. Like the new iPhone every summer.

Apple...
Jun 1, 2011, 07:49 PM

I read the Apple forums. I know what they want. :D:D

Gotcha. BUT it doesn't have to be that way. Am I not a fanboy then? :(

InsanelyApple
Jun 1, 2011, 07:50 PM
ChromeOS? Are you serious? It's a complete joke at this point. Have you tried running it? It's basically the Chrome browser with a few addons.

See my previous post.

AppleScruff1
Jun 1, 2011, 07:50 PM

It was a joke, but all I'm seeing from you is... trolling? Hmm.

I'm trolling by asking someone who says an operating system that is under development sucks about their experience with it? If he knows how bad it is, he should share the knowledge here.

I never said they were "works of art"...but icons are a lot easier to distinguish than big blocks of white text on solid-colored backgrounds.

You could learn them by color code so you don't have to read anything. Like those toys for infants to teach shapes and colors. This is even simpler than iOS, I thought the Apple guys would be all over it.

Michael Scrip
Jun 1, 2011, 07:51 PM
I'm not sure I see where a Tile-based UI for a desktop environment makes any sense. My day-to-day computer usage is roughly divided between the following applications:

Textmate
XCode
Photoshop
Aperture
Email
MS Office
OmniGraffle
Web Browser (where I regularly browse between roughly a dozen different sites, plus occasional surfing).

Other than email, how are "Tiles" going to help me with any of those applications? What kind of "live information" would an "Aperture" or "Photoshop" tile usefully be able to tell me?

I think the same thing. But not just with tiles... with the touch interface in general.

1. I will probably never buy a Windows tablet... I'm just too efficient with a mouse and keyboard.

2. See #1

The Windows 8 launcher-thingy looks cool... but the underlying applications aren't built for fingers.

scottsjack
Jun 1, 2011, 07:52 PM
Don't forget - competition is a good thing.

Exactly. The fact that most desktop computers, including the Mac Pro look very similar and that most mice (except for goofy gaming ones) look similar is just because there is usually a design concept that works best. Copying has nothing to do with it.

More competition has always produced great results for computer users.

Eso
I use Windows but wow, does this look unappealing :(

AppleScruff1

Nope, you can't be a fanboy if you think that way. Sorry.

nunes013
Jun 1, 2011, 07:53 PM
i feel this is where Apple is going in a few years. Lion is the beginning. Like Windows 8 being a mobile, tablet, and desktop OS, Apple will soon combine iOS and OS X to make an OS for phone, tablet, and desktop. I think in a few years when technology is even more advanced, Apple will implement it. That means maybe there will be Mac os x 10.8 and finally OS 11. Or maybe Lion will be the last iteration of the cats. I dont see them going past 10.9 as an extreme anyway as 10.10 sounds just weird. :eek:

InsanelyApple
Jun 1, 2011, 07:53 PM
I'm trolling by asking someone who says an operating system that is under development sucks about their experience with it? If he knows how bad it is, he should share the knowledge here.

It was like 60% joke and 40% serious. The problem with the interwebs is that jokes have a hard time being transmitted.

Apple...
Jun 1, 2011, 07:55 PM

Nope, you can't be a fanboy if you think that way. Sorry.

Dang. What's your definition then?

rorschach
You could learn them by color code so you don't have to read anything. Like those toys for infants to teach shapes and colors. This is even simpler than iOS, I thought the Apple guys would be all over it.

No, but the Microsoft fanboys sure are. "toys for infants" indeed.

Mr Fusion
Interesting stuff! I welcome evolution, no matter who it is. I'm sure we'll see a lot of the same type of evolution from Apple next week. :)

The desktop/laptop OS is the last piece of the puzzle, moving from the mouse to the touch interface. The keyboard isn't going anywhere on a desktop, but the mouse will probably be replaced with a Magic Trackpad type interface to better navigate a touch tablet-oriented OS. I think laptops will disappear in favor of tablets, and if a keyboard is needed it'll be a bluetooth accessory.

I particularly liked the part in the video where they showed a "thumb" keyboard for holding the tablet at the corners and typing with thumbs. I remember seeing concept ideas similar to that before the iPad was introduced, looks convenient! :)

Reach9
Jun 1, 2011, 07:56 PM
I use Windows but wow, does this look unappealing :(

Agreed.

I've used Windows upto 7, and i was so confused when i saw the video. It looks nothing like the Windows i know. It looks like a clash between 2 types of UI when he dragged an Excel spreadsheet onto the screen while 'snapping' with a Windows 8 UI. Hopefully the finished product will be better.

MacFly123
Jun 1, 2011, 07:56 PM
It has some cool ideas but the transition to legacy Windows apps is VERY harsh and there is one thing I know for sure about Windows users.... THEY DO NOT LIKE CHANGE!!!

This is a VERY risky move even if it is better!

Nice to see Microsoft finally try to unify things though.

costmo
Jun 1, 2011, 07:57 PM
I, for one, am very glad to see Microsoft attempting to innovate their UI. I'm not going to get into a war about who stole which ideas from whom. I am just happy to see that MS is really trying to do something different with its UI -- really the first major change since Windows 95. The old one isn't working any more, and it's been time to move on for 10 years.

However, it may be too much, too fast. Doing a complete and total paradigm shift in one step is likely to offend many Windows users. I don't think that even Apple would have gotten away with that in the switch from OS 9 to OSX if it weren't for the fact that their user base was both small and fanatic at the time.

I expect for Lion to be a step in the direction of a new UI paradigm (one that is more touch friendly), but I think that the entire transition to the new way of doing things should happen in several steps so as to not be too jarring for the less adventurous.

My hunch is that many will jump to Mac OS if such a radical change is made to Windows in one step because Windows will no longer be familiar territory for those who are hanging onto it for only that reason.

Mattsasa
Jun 1, 2011, 07:57 PM
-Buy iPad 2
-Get Windows 8
-VNC Client
-???
-PROFIT!!!

NO!!!!!

1. buy ipad 3
2. buy windows 8 for ARM
3. jailbreak ipad 3
4. install some hacks and bootloaders and ****
5. install windows 8 natively on ipad 3
6. (optional) dual-boot with ios 6

wickedking94
Jun 1, 2011, 07:58 PM
Glad to see Microsoft is trying. However I do see a bit of copying from apple, mainly the fact that apple is bringing iOS features to Mac OS, and now MS is bringing Phone 7 features to Windows. Also the fact that they're now using the term Apps, where as in previous versions they used the word programs, and the "windows App store" idea. The new interface could be good to reduce the high amount of graphics capability needed to run vista/7.

That being said, If I were a windows user, I probably wouldn't upgrade to Windows 8 purely because I cannot stand that kind of UI.

And Mac OS 10.6 still has my favorite UI, at least until Lion is released :)

Eidorian
Jun 1, 2011, 07:59 PM
I like the idea of the Tile-based UI for a mobile device, where the device's purpose is various quick-scan information-based apps.

Textmate
XCode
Photoshop
Aperture
Email
MS Office
OmniGraffle

Granted, most of these are Mac applications, but substitute the above applications for Windows-centric apps, and I still fail to see how my work day is in any way improved by a "Live Tiles" UI.You will not use the tiles at all and get on with your life.

It makes sense for frequently updated information. That narrows it down to e-mail.

powers74
Jun 1, 2011, 07:59 PM
L.O.L.

MSFT's New OS drawing inspiration from the mobile OS.

It just never gets old.

acslater017
Jun 1, 2011, 08:00 PM
I am simultaneously impressed and underwhelmed. :confused:

Impressed:
-Being able to run both touch interfaces and traditional Windows 7-style UI is pretty neat. Touch-designed apps for Windows 8, cool.

-It's true, tiles can show much more information than a simple app-launching icon. We'll see Apple's progress next Monday, but until then, both Honeycomb and WP7/Windows 8 have advantages in at-a-glance information.

-The style is bold and futuristic, but I can see how some might call it tacky. At least it's better than just a touch version of Vista/7. Can't blame them for lack of ambition.

-The side-by-side panels thing looks useful. Multitasking on an iPad is currently pretty poor (again, we'll all revisit this next Monday). Being able to go back and forth between mobile apps and full-Windows looks cool.

-full file system

-The thumb keyboard is cool. I'm faster at thumb-typing than full-size touchscreen typing...

-Some of the graphics look neat (e.g. homescreen). Much more modern/subtle than iOS lockscreen....

-unified OS across all devices

Underwhelmed
-integration looks pretty bad. More of an overlay/skin than true integration. The two styles clash very badly.

-traditional Windows looks completely unoptimized for touch.

-multitasking blindly?! swipe in and go through your apps one at a time? "Bird's eye view", whether Expose-style or Honeycomb-style, is much more useful...

-Will that actually run on a phone? That's the one device he glossed over...

-come on, those scrollbars are soooo iOS...

Prediction: Apple will be the last to unify its OSs. But it will be the best implementation, and completely seamless...

InsanelyApple
Jun 1, 2011, 08:00 PM
NO!!!!!

1. buy ipad 3
2. buy windows 8 for ARM
3. jailbreak ipad 3

You forgot steps 7 & 8.

7. ???
8. PROFIT!!!

Alaerian
Jun 1, 2011, 08:01 PM
If the next iteration looks ANYTHING like this, I'll be sticking with 7 for a long, long time.

AppleScruff1
Jun 1, 2011, 08:02 PM
It was like 60% joke and 40% serious. The problem with the interwebs is that jokes have a hard time being transmitted.

Quite true. No offense meant or taken.

You must eat, sleep and drink Apple. You must worship Steve. You must brag to all of your friends and co-workers about how much money Apple makes. Even if Apple makes something less than stellar, attack anyone that doesn't think it is great. If anyone makes a suggestion for an improvement to an Apple product, accuse them of being a hater, or better yet, a troll. Hope that all other companies go bankrupt. Wish horrible fates upon Microsoft, Google, Sony, HP, etc. Laugh when the competion comes out with a product intended to compete with Apple. If said product is pretty good, accuse them of copying Apple. Start with these basics and then I can give you pointers from there.. Oh, and don't forget to give negative ratings to every post if it doesn't glorify Apple in a proper manner.

I only read Apple fanboys bragging about how simple something is to use.

kdarling
Jun 1, 2011, 08:03 PM
Windows 8 is said to have been influenced by the iPad and is meant to scale from touch screen devices to desktop.

And this is said by whom? A MS rep? Someone in a men's bathroom? :)

Unattributed comments like that will get repeated all over for no good reason.

Especially since the influence seems to be more WP7 Metro than iPad.

heynsmd2
Jun 1, 2011, 08:04 PM
Looks good. For a first time in a while I actually look forward to a MS product! Good job, hope it works as 'advertised'.

caspersoong
Jun 1, 2011, 08:04 PM
Copying again... The tiles look extremely confusing. I wouldn't like that.

AppleScruff1
Jun 1, 2011, 08:05 PM
Copying again... The tiles look extremely confusing. I wouldn't like that.

Did they copy the tiles from Apple?

krye
Jun 1, 2011, 08:07 PM
Looks like ass. I can't decide if it looks more like a site from 10 years ago, or a kids magazine. I think the whole look and feel of this new theme MS is going for looks cheap and amateur. You'd think by the unpopularity of Win 7 mobile that they'd get a clue that it's not working. But I guess that's just typical of MS. They're always 10 years behind.

It's at the point now where MS isn't even good at ripping anyone off. And that used to be their strong point.

Sorry guys. Keep trying.

Apple...
Jun 1, 2011, 08:08 PM

You must eat, sleep and drink Apple. You must worship Steve. You must brag to all of your friends and co-workers about how much money Apple makes. Even if Apple makes something less than stellar, attack anyone that doesn't think it is great. If anyone makes a suggestion for an improvement to an Apple product, accuse them of being a hater, or better yet, a troll. Hope that all other companies go bankrupt. Wish horrible fates upon Microsoft, Google, Sony, HP, etc. Laugh when the competion comes out with a product intended to compete with Apple. If said product is pretty good, accuse them of copying Apple. Start with these basics and then I can give you pointers from there.. Oh, and don't forget to give negative ratings to every post if it doesn't glorify Apple in a proper manner.

I only read Apple fanboys bragging about how simple something is to use.

Yeah, sorry - I'll never fit that profile. ;)

ph00ny
Jun 1, 2011, 08:08 PM
Lot of you guys are talking about tablets vs desktop but there were quite a few touchscreen based desktops released in the last few years for pc market.

Overall, this is probably the most logical step in the evolution of windows and it actually looks great.

boss.king
Jun 1, 2011, 08:10 PM
It has some cool ideas but the transition to legacy Windows apps is VERY harsh and there is one thing I know for sure about Windows users.... THEY DO NOT LIKE CHANGE!!!

Wrong, Windows user happily accept change, as long as the change brings an improvement. The taskbar in Windows 7 works very differently to the taskbar in all previous versions, but it was happily accepted because it works better.

Hopefully this is the right type of change.

Michael Scrip
Jun 1, 2011, 08:11 PM
You'd think by the unpopularity of Win 7 mobile that they'd get a clue that it's not working.

Is WP7 not doing well because of how it looks?

Or because Android and the iPhone are just too good to resist?

I think Windows 8 will do well because... well... it's Windows.

I WAS the one
Jun 1, 2011, 08:12 PM
You know what? I like it. Probably never buy it but to tell you the truth is a good start for MS

Funkymonk
Jun 1, 2011, 08:13 PM
This looks very very nice. As a fan of windows in can't wait, looks like my next tablet will be a Thinkpad convertible tablet. Can't wait!

Eidorian
Jun 1, 2011, 08:14 PM
Lot of you guys are talking about tablets vs desktop but there were quite a few touchscreen based desktops released in the last few years for pc market.

Overall, this is probably the most logical step in the evolution of windows and it actually looks great.I am not terribly fond of touchscreen desktops. What we do have here the chance to have a consistent touch/tile environment on the desktop and tablets though. This is just the beginning. Nothing really defined what their demo machine was going to be. I will agree that the feeling of an overlay layer is disheartening.

However they have been doing that for years under Windows Media Center. Windows Media Center is one of the stronger features on Windows right now and greatly improved under Windows 7 compared to Vista.

bushido
Jun 1, 2011, 08:16 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

now iOS looks even more dated than it already did. please give us widgets on monday. the lockscreen has been useless for too many years already ...

AppleScruff1
Jun 1, 2011, 08:16 PM

:D:D Then I look forward to reading your posts in the future. Being sensible it good.

MacNewsFix
Jun 1, 2011, 08:17 PM
I think there is something prophetic with the guy jumping off a cliff in the video demo.

InsanelyApple

Same here but, that should be Apple's next project.

One more thing... This is the iThink. It will tell people what you mean on the internet. A joke is so hard to put out there because people can't tell if you are being serious or not. This will scan your brain and tell people what you were intending that to be. We think that this will change the way people interact on the internet. *applause*

/V\acpower
The big question is, will they be able to run Windows 8, which is a Touch UI over a Desktop OS on a tablet and get more than like 2 hours of autonomy out of it ?

Yes having lots of apps open at the same time is pretty cool, but it also does drain the battery. iPad is able to achieve incredible battery autonomy on a very small and light device.

AppleScruff1
Jun 1, 2011, 08:19 PM
Snow leopard is the dominate OS X used. OS X overall is around 15% market share last I heard.

Source?

InsanelyApple
Jun 1, 2011, 08:19 PM

Coming from the person with Stevus as his avatar. (Stevus = Steve + Jesus)

Stridder44
Jun 1, 2011, 08:21 PM
So...what will it do for desktops again?

MacFly123
Jun 1, 2011, 08:21 PM
Wrong, Windows user happily accept change, as long as the change brings an improvement. The taskbar in Windows 7 works very differently to the taskbar in all previous versions, but it was happily accepted because it works better.

I'd love to agree with you but I simply can't lol! Do you have any background knowledge of Microsoft and Windows and computing in the tech industry and how notorious Microsoft is to never ditch legacy because their users are so archaic? Do you know how many people still use Windows XP or how many years Microsoft had to extend its existence because people still wanted to use what they were familiar with? The biggest reason Windows 7 is starting to proliferate is because people have been forced into it when buying new PCs. Funny, that is the same way Windows got its monopoly and OEM lock-in to begin with lol! :rolleyes:

thedarkhorse
Jun 1, 2011, 08:23 PM
I think it looks great, if windows PC is to transition to touch screen input then they need to have some sort of stop gap OS that does both like this. I think to unify the experience a bit more they should add the metro UI into the start menu and explorer rather than the windows 7 look they have going on there(still maintaining same function and overall dimensions).

Randyrat
I was actually excited about this prospect until about 2:30 into the video...

radiohead14
did i miss something? i saw nothing iOS like there :confused:

but of course.. there will be some that will claim this is also copying apple. sad place this forum has become

jap1198
Jun 1, 2011, 08:24 PM
I'm loving that new interface. :D

InsanelyApple
Jun 1, 2011, 08:25 PM
Source?

http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-ww-monthly-201005-201105

Worldwide: 6.35%
North America: 13.78%
Europe: 6.52%
United States: 15.08%
Canada: 14.06%
United Kingdom: 9.72%
Australia: 15.41%

nunes013
Jun 1, 2011, 08:25 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

now iOS looks even more dated than it already did. please give us widgets on monday. the lockscreen has been useless for too many years already ...

I feel something big coming Monday. Apple has invited all these journalists and pre announced what they are showcasing. Lion has already been pretty much announced. People know what it looks like and its features. I like Steve will start with sales, figures, and numbers. Then get into iOS 5, bring the cloud into it, finish with how they interact with Lion, close with when they will all be available. Maybe just maybe, there will be a one more thing.

Monday will not disappoint. Its gonna be disappointing having to wait till Monday though :D

AppleScruff1
Jun 1, 2011, 08:31 PM

So OSX has 6.35% of the world market, and the 15% quoted in the post I replied to was a bit deceiving. And by the graph you posted, Windows 7 sales are up substantially while OSX sales are quite flat.

ph00ny
Jun 1, 2011, 08:32 PM

Hahaha. Windows users are all about customizing the crap out of their OS

Is WP7 not doing well because of how it looks?

Or because Android and the iPhone are just too good to resist?

I think Windows 8 will do well because... well... it's Windows.

pretty much sums it up

ChrisTX
Jun 1, 2011, 08:32 PM
Honestly, I hate the way they fit oversized bits on the screen, it should all be scaled to size. It's like on the home screen, you also see part of screen 2 when they should just make the tiles on the home screen larger. Much in the same way the fonts are oversized on the mobile UI so it only fits parts of the word. Just horribly done in my opinion.

Blakeasd
Jun 1, 2011, 08:33 PM
Can't wait to use this! I love using my keyboard and mouse with a cramped tablet OS. All apps designed for a tablet. The business and the creative market as well as most of the consumer market won't buy this.
:apple:

Astro7x
Jun 1, 2011, 08:34 PM
I have to give it to Microsoft though, the interface is very different than what Apple is doing. I am so tired of seeing near identical clones of iOS, so the fact that it's so radically different is appreciated.

That said, it looks like a great interface for a tablet! Now I just don't see it being a practical desktop OS. I think it will work great as an overlay type deal to make the laptop/slate/desktop a unified experience. My mom loves her iPhone, but my Mac still confuses her...

I love how you can snap things to the side of the screen for multitasking, and the keyboard that's doesn't cover the entire bottom half of the screen. Even the scrolling sideways through pictures is a refreshing change.

LagunaSol
Jun 1, 2011, 08:40 PM
Sweet, a tablet OS where the Marketplace icon takes up a full 1/9th of the screen. :rolleyes:

As always, Microsoft is following Apple's contrail. And doing so badly.

tekker
Jun 1, 2011, 08:42 PM
NO!!!!!

1. buy ipad 3
2. buy windows 8 for ARM
3. jailbreak ipad 3
7. ???
8. PROFIT!!!

Never thought of that, LOL. Maybe it'll be possible, but for the time being, only in my dreams.

InsanelyApple
Jun 1, 2011, 08:43 PM
So OSX has 6.35% of the world market, and the 15% quoted in the post I replied to was a bit deceiving. And by the graph you posted, Windows 7 sales are up substantially while OSX sales are quite flat.

People manipulate reports to their likings, but I'll be interested in the stats in 3 years because of...

1) Halo effect with Macs and iPads
2) Chrome OS and MeeGo (Both look/are very promising)
3) Tablets vs. Traditional devices

Funkymonk
Jun 1, 2011, 08:44 PM
Sweet, a tablet OS where the Marketplace icon takes up a full 1/9th of the screen. :rolleyes:

As always, Microsoft is following Apple's contrail. And doing so badly.
:rolleyes: because it won't be customizable at all...

RichardBeer
Jun 1, 2011, 08:44 PM
Wow! I can't wait for Windows Lion! Wait.. what?!

NT1440
Jun 1, 2011, 08:51 PM
While I definitely don't like it (not a fan of their approach to WP7 UI-wise) it's nice to see them actually making a change for once.

wickedking94
The tiles interface just doesn't seem very good to me, its too simple. And before someone tells me Mac OS has a simple interface, I know its simple, but its on the balance of simple yet usable. and also, I have to agree that the tiles interface seems way too tablet oriented, and tablet have a limited market as people who do video, photography, gaming, and other stuff like that (like me) will want the larger screen, keyboard, and more hardware that fit into a traditional laptop style.

Also, it seems once again that MS is just building onto its previous OS.
I think its time they start over from scratch. new code, new file system, new everything.

I love my MacBook, and no Windows UI gimmick is going to get me to go back to the hell of Windows.

ABernardoJr
AppleScruff1 you seem to have an immense hatred for all things Apple... I mean it's perfectly fine to dislike something and reasonably voice your opinion but why do you seem so hell bent on attacking every person supporting Apple (with very stale, canned responses to boot)? To be honest your demeanor (or poor attempts at sarcasm) has ironically shown to be far worse than the "fanboys" you seem to mock, and it's not even close. I'm guessing you've had bad Apple experiences in the past? Either way, the attacks are unwarranted, from anyone really. And I'm also interested in how each of your posts are voted up while virtually every person you attack is conveniently voted down. Coincidence? I think not.

---

Anyway, I actually kind of like the way the tiles looked with WP7, they aren't that bad. Probably wouldn't use switch to it myself but the interface is a lot better than what I'd expect from MS.

AppleScruff1
Jun 1, 2011, 08:52 PM
People manipulate reports to their likings, but I'll be interested in the stats in 3 years because of...

1) Halo effect with Macs.
2) Chrome OS and MeeGo (Both look/are very promising)
3) Tablets vs. Traditional devices

Windows won't keep 90% of the market much longer, it has nowhere to go except down. It will be the dominant full os for some time to come, Chrome may get a share of the market similar to OSX as time goes on, but as you said, as tablets get more popular things will get mixed around a bit. Obviously this is why Windows 8 is being designed this way. It will cover all bases.

grmatt
Jun 1, 2011, 08:54 PM
I must admit, I'm a sucker for that "Phone 7" look with the tiles. I think they're really onto something there.

The problem is, however, this is obviously two separate interfaces smashed together. As much as they don't like to admit it, the touch interface is not going to work nearly as well with a mouse, and the standard "Windows-looking" interface is not going to work well with touch.

AshkanP
Jun 1, 2011, 08:57 PM
I don't think iOS (iPad) will get any less popular any time soon, however I think Windows 8 will take over Honeycomb or Ice-cream soon after its release. I'm just hoping we don't get the overlay on computers as I think its kinda stupid unless they redesign it for PCs. Also I really hope that Microsoft don't use the same OS on both PCs and tablets. They should make them separate for sure. Hopefully a redesign of Windows 8. I don't want windows 8 to be some new things + windows 7 under the hood.
Anyway, I applaud Microsoft for their work so far and I'm really looking forward to windows 8. Will be getting my hands on the developers beta as soon as they are publicly available.

AppleScruff1
Jun 1, 2011, 08:57 PM
I must admit, I'm a sucker for that "Phone 7" look with the tiles. I think they're really onto something there.

The problem is, however, this is obviously two separate interfaces smashed together. As much as they don't like to admit it, the touch interface is not going to work nearly as well with a mouse, and the standard "Windows-looking" interface is not going to work well with touch.

So touch will be used with tablets and phones and the standard interface will be used with desktops and notebooks. No problem at all.

w00t951
Jun 1, 2011, 09:06 PM
So they updated window snapping and they also added a special theme for tablet computers. What's new from Windows 7 for the rest of us business/work centered users? Nothing? As of now it seems that my $400 will stay in my pocket.

iEvolution
Jun 1, 2011, 09:09 PM
If that becomes the primary interface for desktop computers count me out, keyboard + mouse shortcuts will still beat the hell out of touching everything speed and productivity wise.

Though definitely looks like a good operating system for the tablet market.

ademuth93
Jun 1, 2011, 09:10 PM

Textmate
XCode
Photoshop
Aperture
Email
MS Office
OmniGraffle

Granted, most of these are Mac applications, but substitute the above applications for Windows-centric apps, and I still fail to see how my work day is in any way improved by a "Live Tiles" UI.

Quoted because I fully agree. The interface is fine and dandy, but it doesn't seem to have much function. We'll see, and I'll stick with my W7 laptop and an iPad.

brandnewfunk
Jun 1, 2011, 09:18 PM

Exactly. Y'all act like some weak-minded religious zealots! Y'all act like a parent who always tells his child he's the best at everything, even on those occasions when he's not. Y'all own ZERO STOCK in Apple! GET. OFF. APPLE'S. D*CK! Y'all got this team mentality for a CORPORATION when the only "team" you should be on is THE BEST USER EXPERIENCE TEAM! In other words, be impartial! Hell, Apple doesn't give two *****s about you, but y'all fight tooth and nail for IT! a COMPANY! Somehow taking credit for your "son" (Apple, Inc.) when he loses and another child wins: "It's okay, Little Andy... Little Mike may have the built a nice new house, but he copied from your house because his has a roof, too!" GTFOH!

The impartial truth is: Apple makes SUPERIOR hardware (e.g., screens on iMac and iPhone kick as$!), but beginning with Windows PHONE 7 and ESPECIALLY NOW with this new Windows 8 OS... WINDOWS HAS RE-CAPTURED THE OS CROWN.

That said, I'll be Boot-Campin' Win8 on an iMac...

In the meantime, GROW. THE. *****. UP!

Blakeco123
Jun 1, 2011, 09:19 PM
i don't know, it looks like that would be a great tablet interface, but i like a desktop with icons and windows for a computer (the entire time im using that computer), however because it says you could turn the interface on and off, so you could go Tiles-> Aero, or something, that would be great! To be honest it looks like Microsoft did a real good job on this.

Alphaeus47
Jun 1, 2011, 09:19 PM
A good concept to be fair, but poorly executed.
It's like someone put windows 7 and windows phone 7 into a blender.
I mean others have said it, but I'm compelled to follow suit; It looks like something that could work on a tablet if cleaned up appropriately.

I liked XP, 7, and even a few things in vista… but for the most part this is hindering the functionality of the OS. In all honesty I'd rather be using windows 98 than this interface. (fyi, I still genuinely love windows 98).

The thing that irritates me the most is how rather than redesigning windows explorer (and other things) with the new interface, they just switch to using the old UI… It just seems so schizophrenic. If they integrated the 2 better then maybe I could like it… but as it is it all just looks so untidy.

*LTD*
Jun 1, 2011, 09:27 PM

Same old MS says hi @ 2:20.

Watch for it.

twoodcc
Jun 1, 2011, 09:30 PM
haha, so now m$ is admitting that they are copying apple. i must say that it does look interesting. lion better be good

FlameofAnor
Jun 1, 2011, 09:31 PM
As a designer, I'd have to grade their color and icon choices as a meh. :rolleyes:

erzhik
Jun 1, 2011, 09:32 PM
This is for people who said that tiles look complicated and it would take time to find appropriate app to launch, compared to how easy it is to find an icon.

The reason why it is easy for you to find appropriate icon is because you are used to it. Every single iOS is the same, it's icons. Of course after 3 years of having same icons over and over the screen, you will get used to it. I am sure if you are to have tiles on a device for that long, it would be easy to located needed app too.

And where are the cues from ipad? There is nothing, absolutely nothing that is similar to the iPad. How the hell can tiles and icons look the same? I wish some people would just put their fanboyism aside and see that Microsoft did a fantastic job on it. And being able to snap on different windows to side of the screen is the best feature on Windows and absolutely blows away anything other companies offer. Win 8's type of snapping looks even more fantastic. I can't wait to try this one out, although I will replace my Xoom only after Win 8 and MeeGo hits tablets.

And it's pretty clear that this type of UI will be for tablets, while old school Win UI will stay on desktops. Why would a giant like Microsoft shoot themselves in the legs by substituting good old desktop UI for tiles on full machines.

faroZ06
Jun 1, 2011, 09:35 PM
And people were worried about Lion? Lol...

I want to see what a virus looks like on Windows 8 :eek:

faroZ06
Jun 1, 2011, 09:36 PM
Exactly. Y'all act like some weak-minded religious zealots! Y'all act like a parent who always tells his child he's the best at everything, even on those occasions when he's not. Y'all own ZERO STOCK in Apple! GET. OFF. APPLE'S. D*CK! Y'all got this team mentality for a CORPORATION when the only "team" you should be on is THE BEST USER EXPERIENCE TEAM! In other words, be impartial! ****, Apple doesn't give two *****s about you, but y'all fight tooth and nail for IT! a COMPANY! Somehow taking credit for your "son" (Apple, Inc.) when he loses and another child wins: "It's okay, Little Andy... Little Mike may have the built a nice new house, but he copied from your house because his has a roof, too!" GTFOH!

The impartial truth is: Apple makes SUPERIOR hardware (e.g., screens on iMac and iPhone kick as$!), but beginning with Windows PHONE 7 and ESPECIALLY NOW with this new Windows 8 OS... WINDOWS HAS RE-CAPTURED THE OS CROWN.

You're right, I sold my AAPL stock a while back for a nice gain :D
loser :rolleyes:
or troll?
As an owner of an iMac 2006 with a failing GPU, I cannot call Apple hardware "superior", at least under the hood. However, I'd take my computer with REALLY horrible parts if it can run the superior Mac OS.

dustinsc
Jun 1, 2011, 09:37 PM
This seems like a fundamental change in philosophy, and the first major UI change since Windows 95 made Windows so taskbar-centric. It also seems like a lot has changed under the hood as the demo implied that Windows 7 apps work differently. Maybe it's as fundamental a change as OS X was.

boss.king
Jun 1, 2011, 09:38 PM
I'd love to agree with you but I simply can't lol! Do you have any background knowledge of Microsoft and Windows and computing in the tech industry and how notorious Microsoft is to never ditch legacy because their users are so archaic?

Not quite sure what you mean with this.

Do you know how many people still use Windows XP or how many years Microsoft had to extend its existence because people still wanted to use what they were familiar with?

That's because Vista was a terrible operating system. It was bloated and demanding. Also, many of people who use XP do so at work, where it is not necessary to upgrade yet. You don't need Windows 7 to use excel and word. Lastly, Win7 is still very familiar and easy to use for XP users.

The biggest reason Windows 7 is starting to proliferate is because people have been forced into it when buying new PCs. Funny, that is the same way Windows got its monopoly and OEM lock-in to begin with lol! :rolleyes:

People are not forced to buy it, it is already installed. Are you telling me Apple give's you the option of buying OS9? No? So you could say the same thing, people are being forced into buying that too. Your point is bad and you should feel bad for making it. Windows became a monopoly because it appealed to businesses could run on relatively cheap hardware, thus reducing cost.

Final tip: you don't need to double space after every sentence.

faroZ06
Jun 1, 2011, 09:40 PM
Not quite sure what you mean with this.

That's because Vista was a terrible operating system. It was bloated and demanding. Also, many of people who use XP do so at work, where it is not necessary to upgrade yet. You don't need Windows 7 to use excel and word. Lastly, Win7 is still very familiar and easy to use for XP users.

People are not forced to buy it, it is already installed. Are you telling me Apple give's you the option of buying OS9? No? So you could say the same thing, people are being forced into buying that too. Your point is bad and you should feel bad for making it. Windows became a monopoly because it appealed to businesses could run on relatively cheap hardware, thus reducing cost.

Final tip: you don't need to double space after every sentence.

Nice, I agree ;)
I'd still take XP over 7 because everyone still supports it, and it demands way less RAM. MS hasn't really changed their OS much over the years, they only added more useless/buggy "features" like the information bar. Vista is just a piece of @#$%. I had a Vista that kept opening IE every 5 minutes and giving me a popup about the information bar. I was doing something on it, and a popup said that I needed to install updates, download? I said no, but it installed them anyway. 5 minutes later, it restarted immediately without saving my work. Well, I didn't let it restart, and I installed XP on it :D

spotlight07
Jun 1, 2011, 09:41 PM
Microsoft is basically repeating the same mistake they made with Windows Mobile. This is basically Windows Mobile 6.5 all over again. A really old, old legacy system with a “pretty” skin on top.

How can you run two UI subsystems on top of ARM? It needs to be featherweight, and this looks like it's heavier than what they already have with Windows 7.

I do think that the UI is very beautiful (but a little bit Fisherprice like XP was), just like I think that Windows Phone 7 UI is very nice. This will work fine on the tablet but I see no point for fancy tiles and touch UI in an office environment. I think going from a tablet UI to a spreadsheet is just too much of a shock to the system.

In the next year or two, Microsoft will probably have to start over again, from scratch this time. I wish they had started from scratch this time.

Yamcha
Jun 1, 2011, 09:42 PM
I actually really like what Microsoft came up with, I wouldn't mind using it with my mouse and keyboard either, although it is clearly optimized for touch, I think they did a great job..

I don't think some of the comments made are fair, It's no secret a lot of people in Macrumors are hardcore Apple fans :P and so the comments will be fairly biased..

faroZ06
Jun 1, 2011, 09:45 PM
I actually really like what Microsoft came up with, I wouldn't mind using it with my mouse and keyboard either, although it is clearly optimized for touch, I think they did a great job..

I don't think some of the comments made are fair, It's no secret a lot of people in Macrumors are hardcore Apple fans :P and so the comments will be fairly biased..

Yeah, there are a lot of annoying fanboys here. By the way, you have the developer release of Lion? :eek: How is it?

boss.king
Jun 1, 2011, 09:45 PM
I want to see what a virus looks like on Windows 8 :eek:

I don't know why people bring up the virus thing over and over. It's a dumb argument. The last time I got a virus was on XP. As long as you don't go clicking on "Click h3ar 4 ur Free Ipod touch phone!!!11!1`!" links then it's actually pretty hard to get a virus on Windows.

kikuchiyo
Jun 1, 2011, 09:46 PM
Good for MS! This is the most original UI design I've seen from them since Microsoft BOB. While this isn't my cup of tea, it's a bold new direction for Windows and I'm glad Microsoft is innovating - hopefully it'll spur Apple on as well.

faroZ06
Jun 1, 2011, 09:47 PM
I don't know why people bring up the virus thing over and over. It's a dumb argument. The last time I got a virus was on XP. As long as you don't go clicking on "Click h3ar 4 ur Free Ipod touch phone!!!11!1`!" links then it's actually pretty hard to get a virus on Windows.

I know, I just wanted to see what one looked like, and I know it CAN get one. I don't really know how many viruses Windows gets at this moment since I dropped Windows a while ago, but Windows Vista Home Premium was worse than most viruses!

Scarrus
Jun 1, 2011, 09:49 PM
And I'm also interested in how each of your posts are voted up while virtually every person you attack is conveniently voted down. Coincidence? I think not.

This also caught my attention!

jwhite878
Jun 1, 2011, 09:50 PM
I actually really like Windows 8. Let's see what Lion looks like at WWDC.

macdragonfl
Jun 1, 2011, 09:50 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_7; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.21.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.5 Safari/533.21.1)

I think that Windows 8 is great! It is a fresh new look and concept. I have played with Windows phone 7 and was impressed with how easy it is to use and it is a true alternative to IOS. Sorry Android fanboys but Android is a piss poor copy with some gimmicks thrown in. The hardware is great. It the constant fixing and changing the stuff Google should have done before it was released. It's the OS itself that is flawed. The Android market should have sold music, video and movies and it should have all been in place for both the Mac and the PC users. Android does not offer a complete package and user experience. Microsoft has a winner here if it offers a ecosystem that works like Apples but in a different way. I am no fan of Microsoft but I think in the long run they may be able to deliver something that Android cannot. Most users want to take their device out of the box plug it in and have all work with the things they already have. Apple knows this, that is why they are the best at it. But it looks like Microsoft can and will deliver this to their users in a way Google seems not to understand.

sketdansu
Jun 1, 2011, 09:52 PM
Exactly. Y'all act like some weak-minded religious zealots! Y'all act like a parent who always tells his child he's the best at everything, even on those occasions when he's not. Y'all own ZERO STOCK in Apple! GET. OFF. APPLE'S. D*CK! Y'all got this team mentality for a CORPORATION when the only "team" you should be on is THE BEST USER EXPERIENCE TEAM! In other words, be impartial! Hell, Apple doesn't give two *****s about you, but y'all fight tooth and nail for IT! a COMPANY! Somehow taking credit for your "son" (Apple, Inc.) when he loses and another child wins: "It's okay, Little Andy... Little Mike may have the built a nice new house, but he copied from your house because his has a roof, too!" GTFOH!

umm...U Mad?

Starship77
Jun 1, 2011, 09:57 PM
Man... I was LOVING it until I saw the windows 7 interface underneath... :/ I wish microsoft was brave enough to simply abandon all that old windows 3.x icon-based paradigm and shift to a completely new interface based on this "tiles" thing. It would be AWESOME... sigh...

Too bad apple is not doing that either... I mean, Lion is cool, but is not that big of a change from Snow Leopard as it could be. Maybe in 10.8 :rolleyes:

kiljoy616
Jun 1, 2011, 10:00 PM
Looks good can't wait to see it in real team to see if it really works just as they demo'd it.

Nice to see Microsoft finally doing more than just copying. :rolleyes:

*LTD*
Jun 1, 2011, 10:01 PM

It's just a layer, folks.

ArchaicRevival
Jun 1, 2011, 10:03 PM
I'm glad to see Windows branching out and making something a little more original, but at the same time, I never liked the UI of the Windows Phone 7 and I just couldn't figure out how to use it by simply taking the device and playing around with it. I found myself having to google how to do this, how to do that, etc...

I definitely like iOS better and OS X a lot better because things are simple, and when you hold any Apple device the UI is so friendly that it really doesn't take a genius to operate. And I've only had a Mac since 2009-2010 so not even 2 years just yet, but it was the best switch that I made, and I don't think I'll ever find myself using a Windows computer anymore. I'm too used to Mac, and for the things that I do on a computer, it's enough for me...

But I guess everything is subjective!

Jason Beck
Jun 1, 2011, 10:05 PM
I like this idea because I would shoot tethered to my tablet and dump RAW images onto the tablet and be able to have fully functional Lightroom on the tablet if I need to do editing on the spot. The ability to also have a mirrored setup on the home computer is nice too.

I have been waiting for a fully functional desktop replacement tablet that actually performs well. I know you won't be doing more than 2 threads on it in Lightroom, but I think a Windows 8 Tablet would be good for in-field editing. I need something like this. An iPad with eye-fi is an option, but I also jumped ship from Apple to get more bang for the buck in a processing station I built. (See sig)

I am 100% behind MS for giving me a fully functional OS on a tablet. I can shoot with eye-fi to the tablet and then do some Lightroom work or Photoshop Full even. None of this express crap. This is just my two cents as to what I would need a fully functional tablet for.

I understand Apple in why they made the iPad. I don't understand why they didn't put complete OSX on it to compete in the netbook market as well as the tablet market. People still buy netbooks for the full OS functionality on the go. I see Apple releasing an iPad or something in the future with desktop/tablet OS for both, mirroring eachother. Makes app switching, file transfer, device communications, everything, all that much easier.

Saying that the iPad cannot handle OSX is foolish. I hackintoshed a Dell Mini to run OSX and it was very snappy. Especially with an SSD. The iPad has a dual core cpu? I am sure they could have slimmed OSX down and made an iPad version. OSX on the go is amazing on a Dell Mini. Cramped at times, but was worth it when I had it. There is a niche there to be filled Apple, get on it before MS beats you there : ).

kiljoy616
Jun 1, 2011, 10:05 PM

And exactly which Phone 7 are you using? Please do tell us. :rolleyes:

Jason Beck
Jun 1, 2011, 10:06 PM
Granted they have fully functional Windows 7 tablets now that I can do this on. But, the UI is crappy. A pain to use. Next gen Windows 8 Tablets look promising.

sporadicMotion
Jun 1, 2011, 10:12 PM
Pretty interesting... the windows UI looks out of place in a tablet environment. Clean that up and I think it's pretty good.

NAG
Jun 1, 2011, 10:12 PM

And if Kinect interface on the Xbox 360 is any indication it will be a very thin one. I think Microsoft should be praised for at least trying a new direction. I really like the promise of things like Kinect but the execution was completely lame (e.g. Netflix Kinect interface).

At the end of the day Windows will probably still have things like the registry and the touch mode will be a thin facade to sell tablets to people who purchase using a check list instead of actually using the device (e.g. I want touch and Adobe Lightroom but won't bother to see if the result is me pulling my hair out). And don't be fooled, putting a touch interface on a keyboard and mouse computer is almost as foolish as the other way around. Apple can get away with gestures because they've shipped computers that can read them for years. Microsoft? Not so much.

Lightey
Jun 1, 2011, 10:18 PM
*Facepalm*.

Microsoft.

Windows is not a mobile OS. DO NOT MAKE IT ONE.

I hate companies that do this, like seriously, I'd rather we just have flip phones and regular computers than this crap, I'm sticking with Windows 7.

Congrats on your new Vista, Microsoft.

SeattleMoose
Jun 1, 2011, 10:20 PM
It can predicted with 99% certainty that Windoze 8 will be.....AN EPIC FAIL!!! :cool:

*LTD*

Remember Aston Shell for XP?

It's the first thing that came to mind once the video hit 2:20.

jprocha
Looks interesting. I'm imagining this paired with Xbox Live and Kinnect when it comes out. Voice commands will probably be a big part of this OS. It's fun for companies to be daring and try something. It will be funny to see how Apple's OS is in comparison at WWDC. Seems like all tech companies are really working on innovation these days.

And for those who hate touch interfaces... it is pretty much guaranteed to replace traditional input devices. I'm thinking a combination of touch, voice, and motion controls with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse for certain tasks when needed. :cool:

kockgunner
Jun 1, 2011, 10:21 PM
This is for people who said that tiles look complicated and it would take time to find appropriate app to launch, compared to how easy it is to find an icon.

The reason why it is easy for you to find appropriate icon is because you are used to it. Every single iOS is the same, it's icons. Of course after 3 years of having same icons over and over the screen, you will get used to it. I am sure if you are to have tiles on a device for that long, it would be easy to located needed app too.

And where are the cues from ipad? There is nothing, absolutely nothing that is similar to the iPad. How the hell can tiles and icons look the same? I wish some people would just put their fanboyism aside and see that Microsoft did a fantastic job on it. And being able to snap on different windows to side of the screen is the best feature on Windows and absolutely blows away anything other companies offer. Win 8's type of snapping looks even more fantastic. I can't wait to try this one out, although I will replace my Xoom only after Win 8 and MeeGo hits tablets.

And it's pretty clear that this type of UI will be for tablets, while old school Win UI will stay on desktops. Why would a giant like Microsoft shoot themselves in the legs by substituting good old desktop UI for tiles on full machines.

I completely agree. I'm really surprised at all the anti-Microsoftism in this thread and even in other blogs. This interface looks really neat and I like how Microsoft isn't afraid to do something completely different. It really shows something to those who say "how else are you going to design a tablet interface with many apps?", doesn't it? The snap feature is really intuitive and the animations are extremely fast (granted, they are running it on a desktop right now). The only thing that's jarring is how it resumes to Windows 7 and how they haven't really rethought that part of the OS. But this is a very fresh, but powerful approach to a tablet interface.

mr_matalino
Jun 1, 2011, 10:21 PM
Looks forced. It appears that microsoft is pushing touch too hard on non-mobile devices. This is exactly what Steve Jobs said wouldn't work...touching the screen on your computer.

Perhaps some promise for mobile devices...

NAG
Jun 1, 2011, 10:22 PM
*Facepalm*.

Microsoft.

Windows is not a mobile OS. DO NOT MAKE IT ONE.

I hate companies that do this, like seriously, I'd rather we just have flip phones and regular computers than this crap, I'm sticking with Windows 7.

Congrats on your new Vista, Microsoft.

This is part of Ballmer's Windows everywhere initiative. He wants full Windows on tablets even though such devices really aren't able to run a full OS. So they seem to be fixing it by putting a thin veneer over the top so the tablet experience isn't like driving nails into your fingers.

*LTD*
Jun 1, 2011, 10:24 PM

I completely agree. I'm really surprised at all the anti-Microsoftism in this thread and even in other blogs. This interface looks really neat and I like how Microsoft isn't afraid to do something completely different. It really shows something to those who say "how else are you going to design a tablet interface with many apps?", doesn't it? The snap feature is really intuitive and the animations are extremely fast (granted, they are running it on a desktop right now). The only thing that's jarring is how it resumes to Windows 7 and how they haven't really rethought that part of the OS. But this is a very fresh, but powerful approach to a tablet interface.

Until 2:20 when it all falls apart, and you see that nothing's really changed.

Different for the sake of different (or purely as a "me too" reaction) is a waste.

Rodimus Prime
Jun 1, 2011, 10:26 PM
Looks forced. It appears that microsoft is pushing touch too hard on non-mobile devices. This is exactly what Steve Jobs said wouldn't work...touching the screen on your computer.

I really hope they do not force that layout on the desktop version.

For a tablet lay out I think the design is great. It gives the full power desktop for when you convert lets say a tablet to laptop mode and you have tablet mode while it is in a tablet lay out. Gives you truly the best of bother worlds in terms of an OS lay out.

faroZ06
Jun 1, 2011, 10:27 PM
Looks forced. It appears that microsoft is pushing touch too **** non-mobile devices. This is exactly what Steve Jobs said wouldn't work...touching the screen on your computer.

Yeah, aren't there already those epic fail Touchsmart things out there?

NAG
Jun 1, 2011, 10:29 PM

Until 2:20 when it all falls apart, and you see that nothing's really changed.

Different for the sake of different is a waste.

I completely agree. The instant they started showing off how "oh look you can run old Windows applications" meant the death of it. Notice how they never used the old Windows environment, such as closing a window. We will have to see what is required for an application to be able to use the new Windows 8 UI and not the older one, but I'm not holding my breath for it being easy.

SolRayz
Jun 1, 2011, 10:31 PM

I agree on this point. Apple better bring some fire soon. I think all of us who have been using iOS since the 2g iPhone revolution would begin to agree that iOS UI is a little dated cosmetically. However, Microsoft has yet to prove that it can master stability, efficiency, and design considering their abysmal track record. And is Win7 really all that exciting to use?

LagunaSol
Jun 1, 2011, 10:33 PM
AppleScruff1 you seem to have an immense hatred for all things Apple... I mean it's perfectly fine to dislike something and reasonably voice your opinion but why do you seem so hell bent on attacking every person supporting Apple (with very stale, canned responses to boot)? To be honest your demeanor (or poor attempts at sarcasm) has ironically shown to be far worse than the "fanboys" you seem to mock, and it's not even close. I'm guessing you've had bad Apple experiences in the past? Either way, the attacks are unwarranted, from anyone really. And I'm also interested in how each of your posts are voted up while virtually every person you attack is conveniently voted down. Coincidence? I think not.

Yet amazingly the mods let him (and others like him) carry on with their intentional agitation month after month after month after month...

I don't get it.

Justinf79
Jun 1, 2011, 10:34 PM
I don't like it much. It looks like you have to click through a bunch of bloated tiles to get anywhere. And what about running a bunch of apps side-by-side on the screen to look at? Talk about a step backwards in desktop UI's.

I don't know, maybe I have to play around with it first. :p

darkplanets
Jun 1, 2011, 10:37 PM
Of course you hate it, but if Uncle Steve made it it would be great, wouldn't it?

I think if you looked at my posting history you would realize that I am neither an apple apologist or a zealot. Perhaps you shouldn't be so rash as to stereotype others so quickly, especially based on a rather sardonic attitude that screams ineptitude.

Rodimus Prime
Jun 1, 2011, 10:38 PM
I completely agree. The instant they started showing off how "oh look you can run old Windows applications" meant the death of it. Notice how they never used the old Windows environment, such as closing a window. We will have to see what is required for an application to be able to use the new Windows 8 UI and not the older one, but I'm not holding my breath for it being easy.

I think it is fine for a tablet but if it is forced on a desktop then we have problems. Tiles do not work for a mouse based OS. Tiles are great for touch so for a tablet it is fine as a lot of stuff will not support the new format.

It gives tablet huge amount of legacy support right off the bat.

LagunaSol
Jun 1, 2011, 10:39 PM

NEWSFLASH: Windows 8 isn't out yet. Nor does anyone know when it will be.

Kinda hard to win a race when your car isn't even at the track.

Oh, and you may want to work on the anger issues.

P.S. I do own Apple stock.

jca666us
Jun 1, 2011, 10:42 PM
I understand Apple in why they made the iPad. I don't understand why they didn't put complete OSX on it to compete in the netbook market as well as the tablet market. People still buy netbooks for the full OS functionality on the go. I see Apple releasing an iPad or something in the future with desktop/tablet OS for both, mirroring eachother. Makes app switching, file transfer, device communications, everything, all that much easier.

Saying that the iPad cannot handle OSX is foolish. I hackintoshed a Dell Mini to run OSX and it was very snappy. Especially with an SSD. The iPad has a dual core cpu? I am sure they could have slimmed OSX down and made an iPad version. OSX on the go is amazing on a Dell Mini. Cramped at times, but was worth it when I had it. There is a niche there to be filled Apple, get on it before MS beats you there : ).

I think Apple and Microsoft are taking two different approaches to developing a complete tablet os - IMHO:

Apple's approach is incremental and iterative, increasing capabilities as the mobile hardware can handle it - with a greater emphasis on user experience.

Microsoft doesn't appear to be as agile as apple - microsoft continues to go for big releases where they shoehorn everything in, and worry about fine-tuning, fixing bugs and usability issues after the fact.

I'm not impressed with windows 8's UI - calling it innovative because it's different doesn't mean it's very good at all.

NAG
Jun 1, 2011, 10:43 PM
I think it is fine for a tablet but if it is forced on a desktop then we have problems. Tiles do not work for a mouse based OS. Tiles are great for touch so for a tablet it is fine as a lot of stuff will not support the new format.

It gives tablet huge amount of legacy support right off the bat.

Which is a great selling point because it isn't like the iPad has outsold every Windows tablet combined. Oh...

The problem is this combination is a contradiction. You have a UI that is touch optimized (this is nothing like 10.7 going gesture heavy, those buttons are finger sized) and the standard Windows 7 UI (which does not work on tablets unless you hate yourself or have surgically modified your fingers to have stylus tips). The two UIs should not exist at the same time. It would be like if 10.7 suddenly popped into iPad mode with huge buttons (imagine iOS on a 24 inch screen...yeah).

Microsoft doesn't appear to be as agile as apple - microsoft continues to go for big releases where they shoehorn everything in, and worry about fine-tuning, fixing bugs and usability issues after the fact.

Yeah, like how they got all those features into Longhorn.

Microsoft makes great tech demos. They haven't actually delivered in years, though. Microsoft better watch out or they'll hit their Copland and they won't have a Steve Jobs to pull their rear out of the ditch they drove themselves into.

LLIBSETAG
Jun 1, 2011, 10:52 PM
WHAT! Microsoft Windows 8 will be HTML5 based? NO FLASH Programs & games support? WHAT! With all the PC Babies crying about Apple & iPads not running FLASH so they can play their widdle games with all the other widdle kiddies WAA WAA! NOW Microsoft is siding with Steve Jobs & his NO FLASH support announcement? HAHAHAHAHA!

A little based on iPad iOS? WOW! That's an understatement. ZunieTunes GUI + iOS = WIN8Slate OS.

What? NO stylus support from Bill Gate's demands for stylus with his Faux Tab Flip-top Laptop Tablet to be easy to take hand written notes via hand writing recognition software aka Apple NEWTON PDA Tablet software from 1990's?

MS VAPORWARE for the AT8 Conference to upstage Apple at next Tuesday's WWDC on June 6, 2011...I will believe this from Microsoft when I see it up & running for sale on a real Slate in 2012? 2013? By then Lion OSX & iPad3 / iPhone5 iOS will be upgraded once again to still be lightyears ahead of MS. PURE PR BS to save face & keep millions of PC people from jumping ship to Apple & Google.

Thunderbird
Jun 1, 2011, 10:54 PM
In the US 1/3 of Windows users are on Windows 7 and 1/3 are still on XP. The rest are using Vista and other OS. I wonder if Windows 8 will grab Windows 7 users first or the XP and older people?

Source?

The StatCounter uses only one metric, a clicky web analytics. Try this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

It uses multiple sources and methodologies, including clicky web analytics and Global Stats, and comes to different figures. The median figure for Apple OS X is 7.54%

But no one knows for sure, as reliable data (especially controlling for desktop OS only) is difficult to get and to analyze.

bkap16

It's always just a layer. You want to see what Mac OS X looks like without all the layers on top, hold down command-S at startup. That's not an alternate version of start-up, that is Mac OS X starting up normally and then stopping before it finishes loading all the layers.

gkarris
I was at the MS Store today...

Was wondering why they are now showcasing the Sony, Dell, and HP Touchscreen All-In-One Desktops... :eek:

Well, hopefully they'll load them with Windows 8 Previews... ;)

NoNothing
Jun 1, 2011, 10:56 PM
The effort is solid and there are some great concepts that will be matured in the next year or so.

Sardonick007
Jun 1, 2011, 10:56 PM

Yea, because Apple (and everybody) NEVER takes ideas and makes them their own. Please. Get off the Apple cart, this is the business. Everybody uses popular ideas and incorporates them, makes them better, or attempts to adopt them in some way. If nobody did that we'd have one car, one store, pretty much one of everything. Welcome to Stepford.

LagunaSol
Jun 1, 2011, 10:57 PM
MS VAPORWARE for the AT8 Conference to upstage Apple at next Tuesday's WWDC on June 6, 2011

It is amazing how Microsoft always has a little "sneak peak" for some product (launch date unknown) right before a major Apple event.

It smells of desperation. And melancholy.

Rodimus Prime
Jun 1, 2011, 10:59 PM
Which is a great selling point because it isn't like the iPad has outsold every Windows tablet combined. Oh...

The problem is this combination is a contradiction. You have a UI that is touch optimized (this is nothing like 10.7 going gesture heavy, those buttons are finger sized) and the standard Windows 7 UI (which does not work on tablets unless you hate yourself or have surgically modified your fingers to have stylus tips). The two UIs should not exist at the same time. It would be like if 10.7 suddenly popped into iPad mode with huge buttons (imagine iOS on a 24 inch screen...yeah).

I can think of multiple cases were it would be nice to have both UI.
that tile based US for when you are working on it as a tablet but hook it up to a keyboard and mouse you will want to use the Windows 7 UI.
That kind of shows you giving it both.
It could replace having to carry around a laptop and a tablet because lets face it something like the iPad can not replace your computer. It supplemental it but stilll there is just a lot of things you need a computer for. Big time if you need to do something that requires a lot of typing.
I sure as hell would not want to write more than a few sentences on a touch screen.

It nice that it gives the windows 7 UI for those few older apps you might need access too so it makes it easier to replace it.

It is amazing how Microsoft always has a little "sneak peak" for some product (launch date unknown) right before a major Apple event.

It smells of desperation. And melancholy.
So doing something like this at a major conferences means they are doing it right before an Apple event....

Apple does not really go to any events unless it is an Apple run event. Other wise they do not seem to touch it. I willing to bet no matter if WWDC was next week or not this would of happen. AllthingsD was this week and MS chances are planned to make this preview months ago. Long before WWDC date was even known.

NAG
Jun 1, 2011, 11:06 PM
I can think of multiple cases were it would be nice to have both UI.
that tile based US for when you are working on it as a tablet but hook it up to a keyboard and mouse you will want to use the Windows 7 UI.
That kind of shows you giving it both.
It could replace having to carry around a laptop and a tablet because lets face it something like the iPad can not replace your computer. It supplemental it but stilll there is just a lot of things you need a computer for. Big time if you need to do something that requires a lot of typing.
I sure as hell would not want to write more than a few sentences on a touch screen.

So you're basically arguing that the only important thing about the iPad is the fact that it has a touch screen? That nothing else matters? I don't want to put words in your mouth here so I'm asking.

slffl
Jun 1, 2011, 11:07 PM
One thing they are good at, and that's wasting space. Whether it's the right border of windows phone 7 or the huge border all around in windows 8.

johncarync
Jun 1, 2011, 11:07 PM
I used my time machine and I just got back from June 1st, 2013--2 years in the future--and here's an article I brought back with me...

Microsoft Pushing to Get Windows 8 Out by End of June -- June 1, 2013
In 2011, Microsoft gave many creative demonstrations of Windows 8 and a proposed release date in 2012. After a couple of promising months, Microsoft then went silent on the features and release date of Windows 8. Now they hope to have it out by the end of this month. Unfortunately the version of Windows we will get looks very little like what we saw two years ago in 2011.

Complaints from users, government agencies, software designers, and computer manufacturers (plus a few law suits) caused Microsoft to rethink their new operating system. Now what we will get is something that looks strikingly like Windows 7 with a few added bells and whistles. Sure you can set your computer to have the neat tile interface they demoed but now it's just an app, it doesn't load by default, and there aren't very many plugins that will work with it. Compatibility issues also took their toll on the new features--many PCs just didn't have the processor power necessary to run all the neat features that were originally promised. There are 16 versions of Windows 8 ranging in price from $149 to $325.

It appears the company that will benefit the most from this botched release will be Apple. They are now at 14% market share but, after seeing Windows 8, many analysts feel Windows users will switch to Macs and push Apple's share to between 20-25%. Apple stock was up 3% today at a price of around $557.

mosx
Jun 1, 2011, 11:08 PM
It's amazing how many people are making comments without watching the video or reading about Windows 8.

The "new" UI is touch based, yes. But Windows 8 STILL has the Windows 7 Aero interface. Switching between the two is instant and MS said that Windows 8 requirements (go to Engadget if you don't believe me), will be the same as Windows 7 or lower.

Windows 8 ARM is designed for ARM processors. It WILL run on ARM processors. Don't forget that Windows 8 won't be out until around the end of next year, and in that time, ARM processors should be taking a HUGE jump, especially if nvidia sticks to their release schedule. nvidia's Kal-El then Wayne updates will take their performance above a 2GHz Core 2 Duo.

Microsoft also announced that "Windows 8 Development Platform" is cross platform, x86 and ARM.

As another poster on this forum put it awhile ago, "Apple is the enemy of RAM". Other companies are not. So Windows 8 with this new UI on an iPad like device should run great. Granted, you're not going to be playing Crysis on it, but it'll be significantly more capable than the locked down and artificially limited iPad.

faroZ06
Jun 1, 2011, 11:08 PM
NEWSFLASH: Windows 8 isn't out yet. Nor does anyone know when it will be.

Kinda hard to win a race when your car isn't even at the track.

Oh, and you may want to work on the anger issues.

P.S. I do own Apple stock.

I think the guy you're responding to is trolling. And I had Apple stock but sold it (a bit before the peak :()

coolfactor
Jun 1, 2011, 11:09 PM
WHAT! Microsoft Windows 8 will be HTML5 based? NO FLASH Programs & games support? WHAT! With all the PC Babies crying about Apple & iPads not running FLASH so they can play their widdle games with all the other widdle kiddies WAA WAA! NOW Microsoft is siding with Steve Jobs & his NO FLASH support announcement? HAHAHAHAHA!

I'm sure a ton of people have already corrected you, but it sure sounds like you're saying that HMTL5 means No Flash. That's not the case at all. They are mutually exclusive technologies. It just so happens there's overlap in capabilities.

TMar
Jun 1, 2011, 11:10 PM
Yep, stole it from Apple. In that OS X is moving more towards iOS and windows is taking a lot from the 360 dashboard. This preview looks like it would feel a lot like the kinect dashboard.

coolfactor
Jun 1, 2011, 11:12 PM
I do admit that Windows Phone 7 and this new Windows 8 touch interface are refreshing new takes on the user interface. Apple went with lots of gradients and transparency... MS came along and flattened and simplified the look. It's actually quite a profound move. I'm impressed.

faroZ06
Jun 1, 2011, 11:12 PM
I'm sure a ton of people have already corrected you, but it sure sounds like you're saying that HMTL5 means No Flash. That's not the case at all. They are mutually exclusive technologies. It just so happens there's overlap in capabilities.

Yeah, that guy's probably a severe Apple fanboy. What, Safari can't have Flash because it supports HTML5?

Well, I barely use Flash actually and hope Flash dies (it's really laggy), so I'd be glad if MS didn't use Flash. Still, they probably will.

NAG
Jun 1, 2011, 11:14 PM
The "new" UI is touch based, yes. But Windows 8 STILL has the Windows 7 Aero interface. Switching between the two is instant and MS said that Windows 8 requirements (go to Engadget if you don't believe me), will be the same as Windows 7 or lower.

I can't speak for everyone else but the problem is that the touch UI so far looks like a thin facade and everything will just default to the standard Windows UI as it has every other time Microsoft has tried something like this. It is a fear that Microsoft will do the same thing yet again (over promise, under deliver). It feels like they're making fancier widgets.

Oh, regarding ARM processors, the main argument for the old UI seems to be to run apps like Photoshop or Excel or something similar. I'll be seriously impressed if an ARM processor can run those apps satisfactorily. Again, Microsoft is long on promises and short on actual delivery. We'll see how this turns out when they release it, but I'm not holding my breath.

faroZ06
Jun 1, 2011, 11:14 PM
Yep, stole it from Apple. In that OS X is moving more towards iOS and windows is taking a lot from the 360 dashboard. This preview looks like it would feel a lot like the kinect dashboard.

I wouldn't call it a copy. Just because Apple is making a similar move -- putting mobile GUI stuff in the OS -- doesn't mean MS is "stealing". Otherwise, Apple would be "stealing" from Blackberry by making smartphones and from MS for making iWork.

But MS stole other things, such as the entire Mac OS in 1984 :mad:

benthewraith
Jun 1, 2011, 11:15 PM

God forbid a user of a different OS can't comment on a rival OS without being considered biased. The tile system on a desktop computer is a terrible idea. Particularly since it appears to be a layer on top of another layer. Apple is making this same stupid move in incorporating elements of iOS in Lion.

TMar
Jun 1, 2011, 11:16 PM
I wouldn't call it a copy. Just because Apple is making a similar move -- putting mobile GUI stuff in the OS -- doesn't mean MS is "stealing". Otherwise, Apple would be "stealing" from Blackberry by making smartphones and from MS for making iWork.

Apparently you miss the sarcasm...

benthewraith
Jun 1, 2011, 11:23 PM

And Apple stole from Xerox...

PaulFitz
Jun 1, 2011, 11:23 PM
I'm a pretty big fan of macs, but this windows UI looks innovative and exciting.

I was hoping the OS X after Snow Leopard would bring some revolutionary changes to what is quickly become a stale area of UI design for Apple. They have neglected OS X for years as the iPhone took off.

OS X Lion looks to have yanked a few average ideas from iPad. Windows 8 looks to be a new ballpark and heading towards the OS of the future.

Jobs better have some thing good up his sleeve.