PDA

View Full Version : Apple's Retail Stores Running Dry of AirPort and Time Capsule Stocks?

MacRumors
Jun 1, 2011, 08:01 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/01/apples-retail-stores-running-dry-of-airport-and-time-capsule-stocks/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/timecap.jpg (http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/timecap.jpg)
We've received several reports today indicating that Apple's retail stores are quickly running out of stock of the various AirPort and Time Capsule wireless networking products, hinting that a full refresh for the line could take place as part of the company's Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) keynote next Monday.

One source has indicated that his local Apple retail store has completely sold out of both Time Capsule models, as well as the AirPort Extreme and AirPort Express base stations. A second source reported that Time Capsules are sold out at a different location, with Apple sales reps indicating that no new shipments appeared to be planned. There was no word on the status of AirPort Extreme and AirPort Express stocks at that location.

It seems now that TUAW (http://www.tuaw.com/2011/06/01/airport-devices-out-of-stock-in-many-apple-stores-refresh-immin/) has been hearing similar reports. They too have heard that several Apple Stores across the US are low or out of stock of AirPort devices.A reader let us know that all of the Apple Stores in his area are out of AirPort Express models, and one of our sources confirmed the Apple Store in his area is out of stock on not just the Express, but the AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule as well. Another source says supplies at one store are not constrained and never have been, but the store "may have" received a notice to send its AirPort device inventory back.TUAW acknowledges that WWDC is expected to be a software only event, but also raises the possibility that updates could come somehow be tied to Apple's iCloud offering.

Article Link: Apple's Retail Stores Running Dry of AirPort and Time Capsule Stocks? (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/01/apples-retail-stores-running-dry-of-airport-and-time-capsule-stocks/)

budafied
Jun 1, 2011, 08:05 PM
A new Airport Extreme would be nice, along with AT LEAST a $50 price cut. $180 for that thing is ridiculous, especially with similar routers going for well under $100 (sometimes under $50) from other manufacturers...

tarproductions
Jun 1, 2011, 08:07 PM
Wonder if they'll add some kind of iCloud functionality? What else would they add?

Craiger
Jun 1, 2011, 08:10 PM
I'm sure they will release a new one since I just decided last month to finally get an extreme. :rolleyes:

But really, what feature of icloud would require new hardware as opposed to a firmware upgrade?

sm.wilson
Jun 1, 2011, 08:12 PM
A new Airport Extreme would be nice, along with AT LEAST a $50 price cut. $180 for that thing is ridiculous, especially with similar routers going for well under $100 (sometimes under $50) from other manufacturers...

Good luck keeping a high load multiple connection on your Linksys. There is a good reason the Airport Extreme costs as much as it does: it works.

wackymacky
Jun 1, 2011, 08:13 PM
I sure has hell don't want to back my HD only up to the icloud. I use TC to do the hourly backups and back up the HD on a separate disk kept away from the office monthly.

Yes I have some files on iDisk, but this is just for ready mobile access, not for safe and secure backup.

Apple...
Jun 1, 2011, 08:14 PM
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.13548/24.871; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Hmm... something's rather fishy. :D

Nermal
Jun 1, 2011, 08:14 PM
I hope this is a lacklustre upgrade if true, since I just bought one yesterday...

Edit: The retailer I bought from has a 30-day return policy. Let's see what WWDC brings.

jdogg836
Jun 1, 2011, 08:15 PM
Haha. DD-WRT on my Linksys? I'm all about Apple products, but you know... I don't drink the Kool-Aid.

LoganT
Jun 1, 2011, 08:15 PM
I hope this is a lacklustre upgrade if true, since I just bought one yesterday...

Then return it...

labrats5
Jun 1, 2011, 08:16 PM
Just yesterday I was thinking how Apple could differentiate their cloud services with a simple NAS solution. Imagine having a centralized backup of all your files in your home, with an itunes media server that can be accessed remotely from anywhere you have an internet connection, all for no subcription fee because you own the storage and the bandwidth. Apple has all the piece. All they need to do now is make it easy.

$179 for the airport extreme is actually pretty competitive. A simultaneous dual-band router with gigabit ethernet and usb NAS support will run you at least $149 from linksys (namely the E3200), and they don't give you usb printing. Apple also gives you a much better setup experience as well as simple integration with the best network bridge available (the airport express), which costs the same as linksys' bridge and has more features.

Apple...
Jun 1, 2011, 08:17 PM
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.13548/24.871; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

I actually forgot that they sold these until now.

halhiker
Jun 1, 2011, 08:17 PM
My local Best Buy has the 1TB $299 Time Capsule available for $359.99. That's their regular price. No wonder they have some left.

Hberg
Jun 1, 2011, 08:18 PM
Good luck keeping a high load multiple connection on your Linksys. There is a good reason the Airport Extreme costs as much as it does: it works.

Ditto!

saving107
Jun 1, 2011, 08:20 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wonder if they'll add some kind of iCloud functionality? What else would they add?

Time Capsul that now backs up your iOS devices.

Nielsenius
Jun 1, 2011, 08:21 PM

Edit: The retailer I bought from has a 30-day return policy. Let's see what WWDC brings.
Same here. But, hey, it's a router. What could they possibly be upgrading?

icemantx
Jun 1, 2011, 08:22 PM
Just received my Airport Extreme today from Amazon, but they have a good return policy should Apple release a new one on Monday...

Even if I keep it, it works great!

bit density
Thunderbird and SD would be nice, and a direct integration with Apple TV.

Stridder44
I'm sure it has nothing to do with iCloud. :rolleyes:

alectheking
Jun 1, 2011, 08:23 PM
sweet, i can still return my airports. I hope they update the express to dual band and make them have a thunderbolt/ usb port across the board for local backups.

dawnrazor
Jun 1, 2011, 08:24 PM
What interesting timing, my Airport Extreme has been acting very odd recently, and no amount of rebooting or resetting to factory was improving it's range and signal strength, was considering looking for a new wifi solution, and I might just have one presented to me next week by the sounds of it....

zedsdead
Jun 1, 2011, 08:24 PM
Very good news. I have been waiting at the sideline for an update, and it seems likely it could be tied into the iCloud streaming media locker.

basesloaded190
Jun 1, 2011, 08:25 PM
Thunderbolt and SD would be nice, and a direct integration with Apple TV.

Don't think Apple wants to add cars to their routers ;)

MagnusVonMagnum
Jun 1, 2011, 08:26 PM

I don't know about Linksys, but my Netgear WNDR3700 dual-radio works like a charm. Airport Express is purposely bandwidth limited for making a network, so that's a put-off on Apple products right there, IMO.

I'm not exactly sure what else they can do to the Airport Extreme to make it better at this point, though. There is no 802.11X or anything to move to. I suppose a high speed NAS option (maybe using Thunderbolt) would be sweet. Time Capsule could always be improved with dual hard drive options or something plus Thunderbolt hard connections. They could also offer a way to run a full blown iTunes server that works with movies/tv shows to serve the new AppleTV units. It would probably be custom, though since Apple doesn't like anyone buying 3rd party products and a standardized way to do it like UPnP/NAS would ruin that.

I doubt it would just be lower prices. They wouldn't have to pull the lines to lower the price.

Lesser Evets
Jun 1, 2011, 08:27 PM

I wish they'd combine the AirPort Express, Time Capsule, and Apple TV to make an all-in-one you prop by your TV screen.... aw, who am I kidding, aside from myself?

Stella
Jun 1, 2011, 08:29 PM
Although Time Capsule provides good functionality they are very overpriced - the price point / hard disk capacity hasn't changed in a while.

Hopefully the refreshed models will be more competitive.

2GB is $500+, very expensive, given how cheap hard disks are at today's prices, even at retail- though Apple will be getting disks at wholesale prices. I'd hate to think of the profit each device reaps Apple.

Jacquesass
Jun 1, 2011, 08:29 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/28/the-next-apple-tv-revealed-cloud-storage-and-iphone-os-on-tap/

Almost a year ago to the day, Engadget reported on the rumored specs of the 2nd gen AppleTV - a post that almost completely came true except for two things: 1080p streaming on the ATV and Time Capsule streaming of local media.

Not only will this be priced to sell (like hotcakes), it seems that Apple is moving away from the model of local storage, and will be focusing the new ATV on cloud-based storage (not unlike Amazon's streaming scheme, though we're talking instant-on 1080p, a la Microsoft). For those still interested in keeping their content close, there will be an option to utilize a Time Capsule as an external storage component, but the main course will be all about streaming

Let's hope the iTunes server is finally here.

twoodcc
Jun 1, 2011, 08:32 PM
this has iCloud update written all over it. looking forward to it!

JavaTheHut
Jun 1, 2011, 08:32 PM
How about a nice apple NAS device with Mac OSX Lion Server, Thunderbolt etc... But as mentioned by others any attempt from apple to create/include a robust enough raid card has been short. Just a thought!

AppleScruff1
Jun 1, 2011, 08:33 PM

And the other routers perform better for less money. But the Airport looks better.

ipedro
Jun 1, 2011, 08:33 PM
If the Airport kept an ongoing updated copy of your Mac, it would allow for instant access to all your files via iCloud without requiring that you keep your laptop running.

BTW
Jun 1, 2011, 08:34 PM
Perfect! I am in the market for a Time Capsule and just in time for Father's Day. Hopefully something with many terabytes and lower price points. A 4TB Time Capsule at $199 would be sweet but probably a pipe dream. A 2TB one at that price might be more realistic.

MagnusVonMagnum
Jun 1, 2011, 08:35 PM
Let's hope the iTunes server is finally here.

That might be ok if you only get your media from Apple. And forget uploading one's own data. I've got over 2.5TB of media here. I'm not uploading that anywhere. I'd rather just see an NAS or UPnP option to serve AppleTV directly so I don't have to keep a computer running 24/7 to serve AppleTV its media. I've got a perfectly functional Netgear router here that could do the job if only AppleTV had the option.

toddybody
Jun 1, 2011, 08:36 PM
Id love to see a unibody aluminum Time Capsule with a SATA III bay (user accessible)...starting at $100.00 ...that would be stellar

puckhead193
Jun 1, 2011, 08:39 PM
I'm sure they will release a new one since I just decided last month to finally get an extreme. :rolleyes:

me too!!!!

FroMann
Jun 1, 2011, 08:42 PM
They definitely need a refresh.

Primejimbo
Jun 1, 2011, 08:43 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It does now if you think about it. My Mac backs up my iPhone and the Time Capsule backs up my Mac

labrats5
Jun 1, 2011, 08:44 PM
That might be ok if you only get your media from Apple. And forget uploading one's own data. I've got over 2.5TB of media here. I'm not uploading that anywhere. I'd rather just see an NAS or UPnP option to serve AppleTV directly so I don't have to keep a computer running 24/7 to serve AppleTV its media. I've got a perfectly functional Netgear router here that could do the job if only AppleTV had the option.

Yeah, that's the big thing that's keeping me from the Apple TV. The Boxee box seems to be the best option right now for cheap streaming from your home NAS, but the spotty support and ridiculous form factor has kept me away from that as well.

AriX
Jun 1, 2011, 08:44 PM
Of note: In Lion, AirPort is branded as "Wi-Fi." You don't see AirPort anywhere. Maybe they're rebranding the base stations as well?

flopticalcube
Jun 1, 2011, 08:49 PM
And the other routers perform better for less money. But the Airport looks better.

Not always. For some situations like "quick setup and leave it" the AEBS is tough to beat at any price. Its also one of the more robust units I've used. It is expensive in retail form, however.

mstrze
Jun 1, 2011, 08:50 PM
Perfect! I am in the market for a Time Capsule and just in time for Father's Day. Hopefully something with many terabytes and lower price points. A 4TB Time Capsule at $199 would be sweet but probably a pipe dream. A 2TB one at that price might be more realistic.

Not really. The cheapest I have seen a 2TB external HDD is just under $100. There's no way Apple would offer a 2TB drive with an Extreme thrown in (which is essentially a TC), for just $100 more. Heck, a 2TB external from Apple without AEBS capability might cost you 200...then throw in the AEBS circuitry for an extra $100? :(

My speculation...and it's just that....is that a plain old AEBS will cease to exist and all will get HDDs added, so essentially they will only sell Time Capsules...starting at $200 for a 1TB. $300 for 2TB? $350-400 for 4TB?

It goes along with the whole cloud aspect...as someone said...although limited to your home network. BUT...Apple will allow the TC to behave like an NAS and serve items up to your AppleTV. :)

And I am only saying this cause AEBSs are disappearing off the shelves and like others, I cannot for the life of me think of what they could be doing to improve the product. Leads me to believe it's a wholesale change into a TC...you'll get an internal drive for just a few bucks more than you'd pay for the current AEBS.

We'll see what happens.

farmermac
Jun 1, 2011, 08:50 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Also Wondering what apple could add to the aex and time capsule

I love my aex, first router I've ever had that doesnt drop connections. Also shares a hard drive to the Internet, shares printers, with no hassles.

Blake the Great
Jun 1, 2011, 08:51 PM
I hope that this allows the printer you share over the Airport to be used for Airprint.

Nermal
Jun 1, 2011, 08:53 PM
Then return it...

If it's a worthwhile upgrade then I will. On the other hand, it still does the things that I bought it for, and I can't think what Apple could possibly upgrade (it already uses the latest 802.11 standard) unless it's "cloud" integration which is probably not going to be of any interest to me.

Icaras
Jun 1, 2011, 08:54 PM
Id love to see a unibody aluminum Time Capsule with a SATA III bay (user accessible)...starting at $100.00 ...that would be stellar

No thank you! I love the white color as is. :)

paulyras
Jun 1, 2011, 08:55 PM
I wish they'd combine the AirPort Express, Time Capsule, and Apple TV to make an all-in-one you prop by your TV screen.... aw, who am I kidding, aside from myself?

I've been waiting for AAPL to take on the cable companies head to head for a long time. They could easily do so with something like this (I'm going to beg for streaming networks as well).

AppleScruff1
Jun 1, 2011, 08:55 PM
Not always. For some situations like "quick setup and leave it" the AEBS is tough to beat at any price. Its also one of the more robust units I've used. It is expensive in retail form, however.

No doubt the Airport is easier to set up with a Mac, but the others aren't difficult at all either for an average home set up. But you do pay more for the Airport for a bit less performance.

flopticalcube
Jun 1, 2011, 08:59 PM
No doubt the Airport is easier to set up with a Mac, but the others aren't difficult at all either for an average home set up. But you do pay more for the Airport for a bit less performance.

It's easy on a PC as well since you can use Airport Utility there too. I find it's been the fastest and most reliable router I've owned of the dozen or so ones from Netgear, Linksys, D-Link. It's biggest flaw is lack of QoS, IMO.

spillproof
Jun 1, 2011, 09:01 PM
I'm hoping for an AirPort Express update. In exactly 2 months I will need to buy a wireless router and a redesign (flat against the wall?) would be great.

Icaras
Jun 1, 2011, 09:04 PM
I'm hoping for an AirPort Express update. In exactly 2 months I will need to buy a wireless router and a redesign (flat against the wall?) would be great.

H-Squared: Air Mount (http://h-sq.com/products/airmount/index.html)

iRobby
I really hope there is a refresh for the time capsule that improves all the faults I keep reading about because when i get my iMac this summer I want the Time Capsule as well.

AppleScruff1
It's easy on a PC as well since you can use Airport Utility there too. I find it's been the fastest and most reliable router I've owned of the dozen or so ones from Netgear, Linksys, D-Link. It's biggest flaw is lack of QoS, IMO.

I've gotten good performance results with a D-Link Extreme N, but I had a few instances where I had to reset it. I'm using a FIOS router now and I haven't had any issues with it at all. Knock wood. :D

saving107
Jun 1, 2011, 09:05 PM
It does now if you think about it. My Mac backs up my iPhone and the Time Capsule backs up my Mac

This is probably just wishful thinking on my part, but what if for example: my nephew were to delete an app from my iPad, rather than have to plug in my device to a computer and have to restore from a back-up to not only get the app back but also it's data, I could just activate Time Machine on my iOS device and bring back this one app within seconds.

nunes013
Jun 1, 2011, 09:07 PM
Of note: In Lion, AirPort is branded as "Wi-Fi." You don't see AirPort anywhere. Maybe they're rebranding the base stations as well?

good observation.

maybe the time capsule will work now :D

but they must be updating the express to wear the extreme is now. (usb works with disks and not draft n). the extreme and time capsule will get thunderbolt and some cloud integration. this way if gives people a reason to upgrade to the better router. maybe we will see a new airport utility as well.
if true, must resist temptation to spend more money :p

abhimat.gautam
Jun 1, 2011, 09:08 PM
Hope this isnít a sign of a discontinuation. The Airport Extreme has been the best router Iíve ever used.

Edit: Never mind. Didnít fully read the article. Probably some exciting added features for iCloud. :D

biallystock
Jun 1, 2011, 09:09 PM
Just yesterday I was thinking how Apple could differentiate their cloud services with a simple NAS solution. Imagine having a centralized backup of all your files in your home, with an itunes media server that can be accessed remotely from anywhere you have an internet connection, all for no subcription fee because you own the storage and the bandwidth. Apple has all the piece. All they need to do now is make it easy.

$179 for the airport extreme is actually pretty competitive. A simultaneous dual-band router with gigabit ethernet and usb NAS support will run you at least $149 from linksys (namely the E3200), and they don't give you usb printing. Apple also gives you a much better setup experience as well as simple integration with the best network bridge available (the airport express), which costs the same as linksys' bridge and has more features.

I was under the impression that a HD attached to the Airport Extreme would be visible to all the network, not just the one Mac that sets it up. More fool me.

The question is why did Apple suggest to me that it would do all that when I bought it and more emphatically, why is it taking so long to make the obvious work?

gramirez2012
Jun 1, 2011, 09:10 PM
The last update to the AirPort line was almost 2 years ago, so an update seems pretty likely at this point. I'm speculating that there will be more iOS functionality, i.e. access to AirPort disks (backup with Time Capsule) and printers. It would also be really cool to access content on the AirDisk/Time Capsule directly from an Apple TV, without having to go through a computer running iTunes.

If they do indeed update, I will definitely be buying it.

abhimat.gautam
Jun 1, 2011, 09:12 PM
I was under the impression that a HD attached to the Airport Extreme would be visible to all the network, not just the one Mac that sets it up. More fool me.

It should. Our Airport Extreme currently has a large hard drive attached to it which backs up all the Macs in the house with Time Machine.

charlituna
Jun 1, 2011, 09:12 PM

while it is very possible that they are doing some kind of revamp to these devices, it is unlikely that it has anything to do with WWDC and will be more than maybe a blip in the discussion.

Like the BtS promotion it will just quietly happen, perhaps at the same time if they are going to launch Lion or some other product directly after the keynote. But perhaps not

TheUndertow
Jun 1, 2011, 09:15 PM
I couldn't get the Time Capsule or Extreme to "play nice" with my work VPN and went with the high end D-Link (855 I think)....works well enough, but the range and stability could be better...

Icaras
Jun 1, 2011, 09:17 PM
while it is very possible that they are doing some kind of revamp to these devices, it is unlikely that it has anything to do with WWDC and will be more than maybe a blip in the discussion.

Like the BtS promotion it will just quietly happen, perhaps at the same time if they are going to launch Lion or some other product directly after the keynote. But perhaps not

I think it's absolutely feasible they'll announce these updates at WWDC, only because of the exciting possibilities of integration with iCloud. It makes perfect sense to take advantage of Apple's new service with new hardware.

Yamcha
Jun 1, 2011, 09:21 PM
Time Capsule has been horrible, I say that because I was considering to get one, but found that a lot of people were reporting it dying within 6-12months.. I don't know if Apple fixed the issues or not..

iRobby
Jun 1, 2011, 09:22 PM

So are you saying they are discontinuing the Airport Base and Time Capsule? I hope not!!

MattInOz
Jun 1, 2011, 09:28 PM

If they do that and add Apps support to AppleTV so that services outside of the US could use the device then I'm there.

Who am kidding if they update TimeCapsule so that the Australian pricing gets updated for currency rates I'd still consider it.

Icaras
Jun 1, 2011, 09:30 PM
So are you saying they are discontinuing the Airport Base and Time Capsule? I hope not!!

It's odd that they'd remove the Airport branding. doesn't make sense seeing as how much effort Apple has gone through to push services with names such as "AirPlay" and "AirPrint".

mrfoof82
Jun 1, 2011, 09:30 PM
The AEBS is hard to argue for how ridiculously easy they are to set up.

Stellar IPv6 support including 6to4 (which Comcast actually has working).
Dual-band.
MIMO/Wide Channels.
Guest VLAN.

And pretty pants-on-head retarded range which forces me to knock transmit power to 10% so all 180 units in my building (and the subway station across the street) can't see my access point. Right now I've a few devices kicking around my 2TB dual-band Time Capsule and it has no problem saturating its 50Mbps connection (large game update right now) while kicking media for AirPlay around the house. I know I get about 120-130Mbps between hosts (in which MIMO is not yet enabled) over wireless as well.

kazmac
Jun 1, 2011, 09:32 PM
if they update Airport Extreme, I'll get the updated one and give my sister this one. I'd prefer it if I don't have to but...we'll see what happens.

dhjapple89
Jun 1, 2011, 09:35 PM
How about a full system backup via iCloud. Throw out the Time Capsule and have backups to the web. There are some of these online backup services, maybe Apple wants a piece of that pie.

MartiNZ
Jun 1, 2011, 09:35 PM
Smaller, SSD option for time capsule? Better heat management / external power brick so they don't fry?

Rebranding thoughts are interesting, I had not heard that the word Airport was going in Lion. Just thinking ... Wi-Fi is used in iOS so it kind of makes sense as this is after all the iOSification of OS X.

ciTiger
Jun 1, 2011, 09:38 PM
AH! This would be very nice, it's still to expensive for my budget but a refresh is always nice!

Icaras
Jun 1, 2011, 09:41 PM
Smaller, SSD option for time capsule? Better heat management / external power brick so they don't fry?

Shoot. That would be awesome. As quiet as the HDD is in my third gen TC, a completely silent TC would be awesome.

However, I personally need at least a 500GB TC for total backups of every Mac in my household, and a 500GB SSD is what? Around $1000? And that's just for an internal SSD. Externals will run by even more :eek:

I like the idea of an SSD TC though. Hopefully, it eventually happens.

AndyR
Jun 1, 2011, 09:41 PM
LOL, iCloud gets lauched for free, but ONLY if you buy the new iCloud compatiable AirPort Express at $199 :D

kikuchiyo
Jun 1, 2011, 09:43 PM
The Airport Extreme was one of the nicest routers I've owned...except it couldn't handle torrents AT ALL. It would keel over and die with a little bit of torrent traffic, so sadly I had to give it back to the store and get a $50 buffalo router.

If the new ones can handle torrenting, I'm in.

HobeSoundDarryl
Jun 1, 2011, 09:44 PM
I've been waiting for AAPL to take on the cable companies head to head for a long time. They could easily do so with something like this (I'm going to beg for streaming networks as well).

Think! Through whose pipes would the Apple replacement service have to flow? Why would the owners of the pipes allow an Apple replacement service to erode their cable monopoly/duopolies? Think!

Menge
Jun 1, 2011, 09:47 PM
Aw man! I just bought an AirPort Extreme Base Station! Not that it'll rot if it's updated... But it'll be a shame if I don't have the latest thing :P

Jef11245
Jun 1, 2011, 10:02 PM
Can't believe no one else mentioned this. Isn't it possible that Apple will just try to move people away from the time capsule, and move it to the cloud. Economy of scale makes it much cheaper for them to just own massive hardrives and sell us space.

This is definitely the future of backups. I already store my pics and music on Amazon's cloud drive, and my documents on Google Documents.

jbh001
Jun 1, 2011, 10:04 PM
Also Wondering what apple could add to the aex and time capsuleHere is a thought: how about adding femtocell tech to the airport?

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Articles/2011/05/25/51126/ubiquisys-puts-intel-atom-into-4g-basestations.htm
http://www.deadzones.com/2010/08/how-to-get-free-sprint-3g-femtocell.html
http://www.broadbandreports.com/shownews/TMobile-To-Offer-Femtocell-This-Year-112293
http://www.verizonfemtocell.com/
http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/3gmicrocell.jsp?fbid=04pfQ0vOLKM

mdriftmeyer
Jun 1, 2011, 10:04 PM

Similar routers? I've test those similar routers and their simply piles of crap.

kdimitt
Jun 1, 2011, 10:12 PM
Can't believe no one else mentioned this. Isn't it possible that Apple will just try to move people away from the time capsule, and move it to the cloud. Economy of scale makes it much cheaper for them to just own massive hardrives and sell us space.

This is definitely the future of backups. I already store my pics and music on Amazon's cloud drive, and my documents on Google Documents.

It is definitely possible. I back up a lot of my things on Google and Amazon as well, but certain information people don't want backed up on some companies massive storage network. They will definitely stress the cloud but it will be a long time (if ever) before they get rid of personal storage (or time capsule).

caspersoong
Jun 1, 2011, 10:12 PM
Nice. Hope the new products can blow us away. Was starting to think the upcoming WWDC would be extremely boring.

labrats5
Jun 1, 2011, 10:17 PM

The question is why did Apple suggest to me that it would do all that when I bought it and more emphatically, why is it taking so long to make the obvious work?

It is available to all computers on your local network, apple didn't lie to you. But there is no easy way to access the files on your NAS via the internet. Such software does exist, but it is far from seamless. Imagine going on a road trip with your ipad and have access to 2 tb of your data whenever you have an internet connection.

On a more down to earth level, being able to set up a networked drive to automatically back up all your computers and ios devices automatically and wirelessly over your network is very possible and arguably long overdue.

TallManNY
Jun 1, 2011, 10:32 PM
Hmmm, I tried to buy a Time Capsule last week from 5th Avenue Store. Sales clerk pointed to me the wall where they were for sale, then quickly noted that there were no more there and speculated that maybe we were due for something good. Hmmm. I thought it rank speculation on her part at the time, but I didn't buy an Extreme as I could hold off (this is a backup/"girlfriend using Hulu while I game" router in my setup, so I can wait). Checked rumors when I got home, but didn't see anything on this topic. Now I'm officially waiting until next Tuesday. Maybe Apple needs to have some sort of hardware to announce. Better routers would fit with the iCloud announcement.

acslater017
Jun 1, 2011, 10:32 PM
Man, I can very easily imagine Time Capsule acting as an iCloud access point to your entire Mac hard drive.

Time Capsule:
-Is wirelessly connected to your computer
-Is always on, always connected to the internet (even when your Mac is asleep)
-By nature, has an exact copy of your computer on it!

Ooooh this could be reeeeaally cool. It would immediately make the Time Capsule a much more worthy proposition. But something like that doesn't account for the new data center. Maybe pay a subscription fee (included in MobileMe or not, I dunno) to store all your stuff on iCloud? Or choose to get it as a free service with the purchase of a Time Machine?

Very neat stuff going on this year! :apple::D

Bear
Jun 1, 2011, 10:43 PM
But really, what feature of icloud would require new hardware as opposed to a firmware upgrade?More firmware memory? More ram to run things? Faster processor to run things?

Any of the above? Some of the above?

Icaras
Jun 1, 2011, 10:45 PM

It is definitely possible. I back up a lot of my things on Google and Amazon as well, but certain information people don't want backed up on some companies massive storage network. They will definitely stress the cloud but it will be a long time (if ever) before they get rid of personal storage (or time capsule).

I would love for this to happen, but they've gotta do one thing first to make this possible. Make it a LOT faster than it currently is. With how slow MobileMe currently is, it's simply not practical.

I also have about 400GB to backup so unless they offer some mass storage options (hopefully, as the rumor of tiered options have been mentioned already), plus signficantly faster bandwidth speeds on Apple's end, then I don't think TC is going anywhere.

By the way, actually, MobileMe already offers cloud backup for it's users: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3991

But like I said before, for large amounts of data, it's absolutely impractical.

trip1ex
Jun 1, 2011, 10:47 PM
The 2 tb time capsule is way overpriced. Apple charges $200 to go from 1TB to 2TB? ABsurd when 2TB drives cost $80 alone.

marc11
Jun 1, 2011, 10:50 PM
The problem with moving the back ups to the cloud is the bandwidth. Upload bandwidth from a lot of companies blows, like in the area of 256k, that isn't going to fly when you need to back up gigs of data, as in your first initial back up. Even megs of data would take hours with bandwidth like that.

trip1ex
Jun 1, 2011, 10:51 PM

doubt it. I think you still should backup locally. If you ever need to restore you'll be glad you have a local backup.

Not to mention the trust and privacy issue of a backup service.

Supa_Fly
Jun 1, 2011, 10:58 PM

I can purchase a $229 Synology NAS system with 2 USB 2.0 ports supporting external drives, USB Printing, and E-SATA (powered) port, with 2-HDD SATAII bay. No WLAN is there but with getting DualBand 802.11N on a DLINK which is quite solid a range of models from $50-100 shipping with 2TB still undercuts the 2TB TimeCapsule unit. Prices are current Canadian dollar.

^ NOW we're talking ... put the power supply internally like the current Mac Mini and I'm set. Having iCloud auto sync in the background with iOS and Mac OS X SL+Li access remotely is just pure icing on the cake that I WOULD pay $500 for with $50/yr for the iCloud sync.

mKizzo
Jun 1, 2011, 11:03 PM
Happy about this one. I've been holding off a purchase for AEB for a few months now but managed to get by with the Express. Looking forward to an extended network again :)

syedzaidi.nyc
Jun 1, 2011, 11:22 PM

As much as I would like to agree with you, I have huge issues trying to make it do simple things like NAT and execute specific firewall rules. I bought a secure router that does not let me do as I need to it. I had to downgrade the firmware to get it to follow my rules, and AppleCare had little to say. Furthermore, getting my Airports to be compatible with Verizon's PPPOE (which is nothing out of the ordinary) was an adventure. As much as I LOVE Apple products, they have been really lacking in some of the basic functionality to innovate new technologies. I say, perfect what you already have. Build and keep building new technologies without breaking something else. Airport, again, works for the simple stuff: create a secure network that can handle many connections. Add a couple of more things, and it falls apart.

Rad99004
Jun 1, 2011, 11:32 PM
wonder if they'll add some kind of icloud functionality? What else would they add?

How about something as crazy as LTE built in to the Airport Extreme.

Scottsdale
Jun 1, 2011, 11:37 PM
The AEBS and TC do work with MobileMe. I suspect something that does backup connected HDDs to the iCloud service.

They definitely could switch to black plastic like the AppleTV. I would think both could be smaller too. I would really like to see Apple use the same footprint of the Mac mini across all of these devices so they would pair up and even stack nicely. However there is no reason for the AEBS to be that large. It could probably be a similar size to the AppleTV and still get it all in there.

Should be interesting. I wonder if Apple will do the update Monday morning before the keynote then not even mention it at WWDC? That way people would still talk about it? It would be nice to see where Apple is going with the MacBook too? It has really been left out while MBP and MBA get all of the attention.

iLilana
Jun 1, 2011, 11:53 PM
and i'm not happy with it.

would have liked a full featured base station for 99 dollars. i'm betting the update will include air print or somethign.

HMFIC03
Jun 1, 2011, 11:54 PM
What better way to get an apple TV in every house than to integrate a wireless router into it.

I could see 1, 2 and 4 TB models that can AirPrint, use iCloud, AirTunes and backup iOS and macs. A least I would like to see it :D

HMFIC03
Jun 1, 2011, 11:56 PM
What better way to get an apple TV in every house than to integrate a wireless router into it.

I could see 1, 2 and 4 TB models that can AirPrint, use iCloud, AirTunes and backup iOS and macs. A least I would like to see it :D

P.S. Not everyone uses a wireless router and apple tv is worrthless without one. It makes too much sense.

pancakedrawer
Jun 2, 2011, 12:01 AM
Same here. But, hey, it's a router. What could they possibly be upgrading?

ThunderBolt?

Michael383
Jun 2, 2011, 12:15 AM
Since my Linksys router has been acting up I've been considering Apple. Looking forward to seeing the new products.

MikhailT
Jun 2, 2011, 12:22 AM
Why would anybody want a smaller SSD option for the Time Capsule, you can't saturate the HD speed from the outgoing connection on your computer. Even if you can get sustained 100MBps transfer from your computer, it's still slower than the latest high capacity hard drives (can do 100MBps+).

I rather have 3TB drive in the TC than 80GB SSD for the same cost.

We're not going to see SSDs in setups like this for a while, 120GB SSDs still cost $250.

The only exception to this is that Apple decides to store your data on the cloud, in this case, a small 80GB SSD might make sense but not everybody have fast upload speed, so it makes no sense to do this now.

The average upload speed is around 512Kbps in US, it's not fast enough for the cloud storage to be used by default for everybody.

The good news is that Apple can take advantage of the Time Machine to backup only the differences. So for new users, it's going to rock. For people with 1TB+ of storage, it's going to suck in the beginning.

Documents, pictures and music are tiny files most of the time. Movies, apps and many other files that people tend to back up are huge. I have a family video collection that's over 8TB.

But really, what feature of icloud would require new hardware as opposed to a firmware upgrade?

How about stronger antennas for better range and faster performance with more features? How about thunderbolt support or even USB 3.0 ports? If you connect any hard drive over USB2.0, the most speed you can get to that hard drive is 20Mbps at most. If Apple can produce external thunderbolt drives that you can connect to TC/Extreme, itíll be an awesome little NAS.

I doubt the new hardware is just because of iCloud but it has more to do with the fact that Apple postponed the refresh until they get the iCloud service ready. The hardware hasn't been updated in 2 years.

bigwig
Jun 2, 2011, 12:22 AM
I heard a rumor of an upgrade to additional MIMO channels. I'm not sure how many AEBS supports now. An improvement to wired routing performance would also be welcome.

JKColo22
Jun 2, 2011, 01:09 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Great. 6 months after I finally get my home VPN running, Apple comes out with iCloud connected airport.

r00fus
Jun 2, 2011, 01:17 AM

They have way too much brand "Air" pollution (Airport Extreme, Airport Express, Airport Extreme Base Station, Airplay, Airdrop, Air Tunes, Macbook Air, etc.)

Dropping "Airport" from what is actually a wifi radio (name didn't make sense to me on the Macs) would make sense. I see the "airport" as the router/hub, not the laptop/planes connecting.

MattInOz
Jun 2, 2011, 01:39 AM

A better concept to me at least would to for Apple to move to a system that is as much in the cloud as it's here with me. So your Time capsule is part of a storage system not unlike Amazon's Elastic, but it has one box ie. Time Capsule that has a least one copy of everything including previous versions but only has your stuff, while the wider cloud might have a copy bits and pieces everywhere and has lots of peoples stuff. As this box is low power it would always be no and generally accessible.

rikscha
Jun 2, 2011, 02:16 AM

As I said before, I've been waiting for a time capsule nas iTunes streaming icloud server.

mex4eric
Jun 2, 2011, 02:22 AM
Hope it will be A5 powered. My Airport Extremes have always run very hot. My first one failed by becoming erratic in use of USB port, never provable to Apple, so I replaced it at full price and have been happy since and bought another for another location, also running perfectly. Excess heat is not good for some electronics.

Have also recommended to others having problems with their non-Apple routers.

nutmac
Jun 2, 2011, 02:28 AM

I don't think so. iOS devices have called Wi-Fi as "Wi-Fi" from day 1. It's all about consistency.

Cydonia
Jun 2, 2011, 02:31 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

The app store already does this for you. If you have paid for an app, you can download it again for free as long as you use the same account on tje app store. This also works across multiple devices using the same account ;-)

RalfTheDog
Jun 2, 2011, 02:35 AM

RAID. I have been pushing for Apple to include RAID on Time Capsule for years. Sometimes you need to backup more than one HD can fit, and what good is a backup if you don't have redundancy on your backup device. I am hoping for 0+1 at a minimum. It does not need to be fast, just big and safe.

Say thank you to the tons of Airport RAM.

This is probably just wishful thinking on my part, but what if for example: my nephew were to delete an app from my iPad, rather than have to plug in my device to a computer and have to restore from a back-up to not only get the app back but also it's data, I could just activate Time Machine on my iOS device and bring back this one app within seconds.

++ That is brilliant! I like the idea of being able to roll back to previous versions of documents.

That sounds like you are having sharing issues. Check passwords.

Time Capsule has been horrible, I say that because I was considering to get one, but found that a lot of people were reporting it dying within 6-12months.. I don't know if Apple fixed the issues or not..

I have had several running for quite some time. My big issue is, running a HD 24/7. It would be nice if it had a flash drive for buffering and only started up the main drives when it needed to. Unfortunately, that would cost too much.

The app store already does this for you. If you have paid for an app, you can download it again for free as long as you use the same account on tje app store. This also works across multiple devices using the same account

That only works for apps, not data stored in apps.

mrkramer
Jun 2, 2011, 02:39 AM

I think you can do that already. Just make sure you are logged in to the same account you bought it from and you can download it again from the app store. It works on my iPad at least.

Nightarchaon
Jun 2, 2011, 02:43 AM
Here is hoping for a time capsule that's actual got adequate cooling and doesn't fry itself after 18months of use.

RalfTheDog
Jun 2, 2011, 02:43 AM
I think you can do that already. Just make sure you are logged in to the same account you bought it from and you can download it again from the app store. It works on my iPad at least.

As I said above, that works great for the app, however, the data related to the app is what has real value.

linked.account
Jun 2, 2011, 02:51 AM
I guess the new version of those products is going to support iCloud in some way.... So the refresh seems reasonable.

CplBadboy
Jun 2, 2011, 02:52 AM
Yes! Hopefully everyones predictions about it incorporating an iTunes server are true. Only yesterday I was thinking that as leaving my computer on just doesnt seem the best option.

And please whatever they do get away from the horrible white. Nice aluminium / black combo please like the Macmini and a nice black for the AEX! White id for washing machines and dishwashers.

Palad1
Jun 2, 2011, 03:32 AM
Makes perfect sense, I bought an airport extreme base station two weeks ago...

The curse of :apple:

Nomadski
Jun 2, 2011, 03:33 AM
Heres hoping a new AE has better firmware than the current crappy one. Ive never had a product before where firmware updates actually makes the product WORSE.

For some reason Apple decided from the previous FW to the current one to make Time Machine backups to a QNAP NAS completely fail time after time.

Ubuntu
Jun 2, 2011, 03:42 AM

Pretty certain that not everyone on these forums has it and their internet still works.:rolleyes:

macsmurf
Jun 2, 2011, 03:45 AM
RAID. I have been pushing for Apple to include RAID on Time Capsule for years. Sometimes you need to backup more than one HD can fit, and what good is a backup if you don't have redundancy on your backup device. I am hoping for 0+1 at a minimum. It does not need to be fast, just big and safe.

I just have a Linux server in the closet running Raid and LVM. That means i cn just add new hard drives on the fly if one fails or if need more space.

It has two 1 TB hard disks mirrored and it cost about half of an Time Capsule. ...And of course it works with Time Machine

It's not as pretty, though.

old-school
Jun 2, 2011, 03:52 AM
Just bought one of these last weekend. Do they have a returns policy for these like they do the macbooks?!

Well worth the money though, they're really robust.

carl62
Jun 2, 2011, 04:02 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

They could be adding an ADSL router so it works better around the globe. In Europe at least ADSL is the still the most common connection method. The only thing that has put me and many people off an AEBS so far is the lack of modem meaning we have to use a separate modem (and have 2 pieces of equipment).

GoodWatch
Jun 2, 2011, 04:26 AM
What I would like is an Apple engineered and designed 'all-in-one' NAS-like device, comparable with e.g. Synology's offerings. With perhaps a simplified OSX server edition running it. To provide for plug-and-play home server functionality, TimeCapsule and an access point. Sculpted from aluminium of course. Awww.

macnisse
Jun 2, 2011, 04:49 AM
I wouldn't mind having all my docs, pics, vids and backups (incl bootable hds?) in one place in the cloud. Having to rely on several servies today, too scattered... hoping that Apple may add a twist that can outperform google/chrome, ms skydrive, dropbox et al. Perhaps steve will shed some light for us on Monday :)

WickedStealthy
Jun 2, 2011, 04:49 AM
Waiting to see the airport express being updated for dual band support sim.
Being able to use vlans.
Current ones are very nice when used as ap in my gigabit nw.
Timecapsule is nice but will probably not support gigabit trunking like the synologys. Itunes server however would be nice and not only for streaming but it would be nice to sync your ipad etc to it. So no need to connect it to your pc or mac

plumosa
Jun 2, 2011, 05:07 AM
My AEBS has always run *extremely* hot. So I predict that, if they keep all the product lines separate, the AEBS will been smaller and in aluminum.

Ideally they would integrate all three, keep the same size, but put it in metal. This, of course, would be lots of money; but I think the ease of it all would be worth it.

animatedude
Jun 2, 2011, 05:23 AM
i don't want to use a DSL router from my ISP AND Time Capsule...i want to use only one.they should release a Time Capsule with a DSL modem built in..which will never happen i think.

ajyates
Jun 2, 2011, 05:35 AM
I would really love an update to the Airport Express adapter. It seems like one of the products in the Apple range that has been most ignored, despite a big push towards AirPlay functionality. If they created a new, smaller, cheaper audio-only AirPlay plug, and heavily marketed it, I think they could make a killing! So many people have iOS devises now, to be able to throw audio around the house would be fabulous. And while I know you can already do this with the current model, £83 is way too high a price to pay, especially when the Apple TV is only £18 more.

rdlink
Jun 2, 2011, 05:45 AM
Reality check:

All the complaining about how overpriced the Airport Extreme is, and how ridiculous it is that Apple make a profit needs to be debunked a little here.

Someone earlier in the post threw out misinformation that comparable routers from other manufacturers were selling for under $100. Not true. Fact is, Newegg is selling a Linksys E series, dual band router for $160. It has a USB port, although I didn't see any reference to it supporting a networked printer.

Now, as someone who has owned multiple routers over the years, including Linksys and Netgear, and has configured well over 50 routers for different networks, I can tell you that I have never owned or worked on a more consistently reliable router than an Airport Extreme/Time Capsule. Mine has been connected to my network for months with no reboots necessary. Never had that with any Linksys or Netgear.

Also, Linksys and Netgear have issues from a usability standpoint. Every time I log into a Linksys router I have to pick my way around because they seem to change their configuration interface every three weeks, so that every nuance of a model that they sell has a slightly different configuration interface. Not to mention that their attempts to make the router easy to set up out of the box usually end up causing more frustration and aggravation than anything else.

I find any cost difference between the Apple router and routers that share similar feature sets to be well worth the reliability, consistency of experience and ease of set up. If the ~$30 or so more that the Apple router costs is too much for you, then fine. Buy a competing brand. But don't spread FUD about the cost being way more than comparable routers, because it just ain't true.

bergmef
Jun 2, 2011, 05:47 AM
I wouldn't mind an itunes server, maybe throw an hdmi connection for people close to a tv and add the apple tv software. Throw in nightly scheduled backups to the iclound from the time machine backup, better vpn for a new back to my mac app on ipad. And what the heck, make it a voice over ip call center for all iphones, ipads and ipod touches using ivoice, apples new competitor to google voice.

Did I miss anything? ... oh, thunderbolt port and wireless sinking to the itunes running on this box.

Makes toast in the morning too ;-)

ShaunC
Jun 2, 2011, 06:18 AM
Airport Express is one of Apple's most under-rated products.

For a basic router to include wireless printing and music sharing, yet still being easy to set up, yet being priced under £90 is still impressive.

In terms of appearance this product hasn't changed in nearly 7 years, which for an Apple product is again pretty impressive, however I still wouldn't say no to an iCloud update.

I think the Airplay feature will be rolled out across the board of Apple's routers, they've invested too much time pushing it in IOS4 to just leave it solely in the Express.

gorjan
Jun 2, 2011, 06:31 AM
Now, as someone who has owned multiple routers over the years, including Linksys and Netgear, and has configured well over 50 routers for different networks, I can tell you that I have never owned or worked on a more consistently reliable router than an Airport Extreme/Time Capsule. Mine has been connected to my network for months with no reboots necessary. Never had that with any Linksys or Netgear.

Also, Linksys and Netgear have issues from a usability standpoint. Every time I log into a Linksys router I have to pick my way around because they seem to change their configuration interface every three weeks, so that every nuance of a model that they sell has a slightly different configuration interface. Not to mention that their attempts to make the router easy to set up out of the box usually end up causing more frustration and aggravation than anything else.

Well my Linksys 610N has been on for a year without a reboot, and that was because I moved. Before that it was turned on for two years with no reboot. And my parents' wrt54gc has also been on for a year or two now with no problems. Also the interface is quite similar. I'm not saying anything bad about the Airport extreme, but from my experience the Linksys router are top notch.

Bear
Jun 2, 2011, 06:34 AM
I wouldn't mind them adding an iTunes server to the Airport Base. This means taht the person watching AppleTV doesn't lose what they're watching because the Mac user either logged out or put the system to sleep.

My Airport Extreme (b/g) is over 7 years old at this point. Adding an iTunes server to it would be one feature that would make me want to get a new one.

andiwm2003
Jun 2, 2011, 06:39 AM
i think the AE is well worth its money. I have the model beforethe current one and it's been fast, reliable and easy to set up. the current model in addition has the "guest mode" which is a nice feature.

I hope apple doesn't try to change the router too much and make it worse in the process. In any case I will check for deals on the current AE as soon as the new one is announced. I got my AE for $100 at best buy when they released the new model.

winglet69
Jun 2, 2011, 06:44 AM

Well, no. Sorry. I tried every router out there and the only that punches through all the concrete in my condo turned out to be the AEBS. It's been rock-solid for two years, full signal strength. Not so the Linksys/Buffalo units I tried...and they're weren't less money (the high-end models not the the ticky-tack entry level ones.)

KALLT
Jun 2, 2011, 06:47 AM
Wow, this is very exciting news. I am currently looking into buying an AirPort Express, but am too hesitant to buy one, as I only need a decent WiFi connection for which there are cheaper solutions. Perhaps an updated version will finally convince me.

BeachChair
Jun 2, 2011, 06:55 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; da-dk) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm very excited about this. I'm in the market for a NAS and I'm not impressed by the offerings. They lack that Apple finesse. It's hard to find one that gets performance, noise, power consumption, price, software and looks right.
Apple could with their economies of scale couple a powerful low power cpu with an optimized os (maybe even iOS). And wrap it all up in a well designed box with some Apple exclusive integration (iCloud) and stuff like Thunderbolt.

bowlerman625
Jun 2, 2011, 06:57 AM

Now that would be nice!

gorgeousninja
Jun 2, 2011, 06:59 AM
Wow, this is very exciting news. I am currently looking into buying an AirPort Express, but am too hesitant to buy one, as I only need a decent WiFi connection for which there are cheaper solutions. Perhaps an updated version will finally convince me.

Airplay should have already done that. One press of a button and 'voila' wireless music streaming... makes me smile every time.

WiBu
Jun 2, 2011, 07:02 AM
I might be completely wrong, but I am going to guess that the new Airport will involve some sort of cloud caching feature.

bruinsrme
Reality check:

All the complaining about how overpriced the Airport Extreme is, and how ridiculous it is that Apple make a profit needs to be debunked a little here.

Someone earlier in the post threw out misinformation that comparable routers from other manufacturers were selling for under $100. Not true. Fact is, Newegg is selling a Linksys E series, dual band router for $160. It has a USB port, although I didn't see any reference to it supporting a networked printer.

Now, as someone who has owned multiple routers over the years, including Linksys and Netgear, and has configured well over 50 routers for different networks, I can tell you that I have never owned or worked on more consistently reliable router than an Airport Extreme/Time Capsule. Mine has been connected to my network for months with no reboots necessary. Never had that with any Linksys or Netgear.

I find any cost difference between the Apple router and routers that share similar feature sets to be well worth the reliability, consistency of experience and ease of set up. If the ~$30 or so more that the Apple router costs is too much for you, then fine. Buy a competing brand. But don't spread FUD about the cost being way more than comparable routers, because it just ain't true.

Linksys has served my family members very well. I have bought linkage and the Aebs. Firmware is easily navigated on both.
Labeled differently sure but the features are pretty standard.
Well I can't speak of not having to reboot since I do cycle power on the 7 computers, 3 xboxes, 2 Ps3s, 2 wiis and the printers once a month.
aEBS is just as good as my link sys. The linksys has better coverage but the Aebs has the USB printer support which I no longer need since the printers are network ready.
Aebs is nice, $50 bucks cheaper it would be real nice.

The Wedge
I'm not exactly sure what else they can do to the Airport Extreme to make it better at this point, though.

They can start by adding more ethernet ports.

axboi87
Jun 2, 2011, 07:03 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Finally! The extreme was (for the most part) the fastest router on the market until the new Linksys E4200 came out. I will say however nothing matches the Extreme's reliability. It's the only router ive seen that can sit on a UPS and have a 1.5 year uptime without a reset while it handles a very large house full of people constantly accessing an iomega NAS attached to it and several AppleTVs etc etc

Eduardo1971
Jun 2, 2011, 07:04 AM

Thunderbird is awesome, but I prefer Nighttrain or Cisco.
:cool:

Neodym
Jun 2, 2011, 07:07 AM
Reality check:
[...] I have never owned or worked on a more consistently reliable router than an Airport Extreme/Time Capsule. Mine has been connected to my network for months with no reboots necessary. Never had that with any Linksys or Netgear.[...]

Funny that people always reference Netgear and Linksys nearly exclusively - try Draytek Vigor instead!

Rock-solid routers with lots of features. My 6 year old 2900VG already offers 32 VPN channels, USB print server, VoIP, 16 Guest VLan's, QoS, support for RADIUS, DynDNS, etc. etc. - and i never had a problem with it (that includes no forced reboots). It's also barely warm to the touch. Extensive configuration possible via browser interface.

Granted - Apple's design is nicer, but the Vigor works as flawlessly as Cupertinos devices while offering better configuration options...

biggy52
Jun 2, 2011, 07:10 AM
is there any hopes of getting support for 3G modems via the USB port OR integrating a 3G modem so we could just pop in the sim card. I would love that feature!

williedigital
Jun 2, 2011, 07:17 AM
I'm not exactly sure what else they can do to the Airport Extreme to make it better at this point, though. There is no 802.11X or anything to move to.

They have that 3*3 MIMO stuff. Bumps 802.11n to 450 BM.

Jun 2, 2011, 07:28 AM

TimeMachine backup to the iCloud ...

colinmack
Jun 2, 2011, 07:29 AM
Hopefully, this is tied to wireless iTunes syncing - an iTunes server on the Time Capsule so Apple TV and other iOS devices can access content without your computer running (your own personal internal cloud), as well as the ability to wireless sync your devices (for backup, syncing of content, etc.)...use a bit of Flash memory in the wireless routers for storing the iTunes catalog, and if you have the Time Capsule you get the additional disk storage as well.

...your iTunes catalog would then also be synced to iCloud, so you can access cloud-stored content from anywhere.

Easily doable, has been rumoured to be happening, and ties perfectly into an iOS update and cloud capability.

One can hope...

Sodner
Jun 2, 2011, 07:30 AM
Humm... If there is an upgrade and it includes anything cool my existing TC goes up on eBay and I'll be picking up a 2TB TC this time. :)

WorkingDead
Jun 2, 2011, 07:37 AM
They better have fixed the cooling issue with TC. The things run seriously hot because of the wishful passive cooling scheme. They really need to add a fan to keep the temps down. I'm on my third one of these because they keep burning their power supply up right around the one year mark.

OllyW
Jun 2, 2011, 07:47 AM
They better have fixed the cooling issue with TC. The things run seriously hot because of the wishful passive cooling scheme. They really need to add a fan to keep the temps down. I'm on my third one of these because they keep burning their power supply up right around the one year mark.

There's already a fan in there but because of the poor case design all it ever does is recirculate hot air if and when it eventually spins up.

The internal fan has no air input, is pointing the wrong way and does not turn on so some people have modified the case and fan so it works properly.

http://www.fackrell.me.uk/page8/page2/files/dscf6680.jpg

DoubleWah
Jun 2, 2011, 07:52 AM

Exactly. There is only one technical hurdle to overcome to "untether" the ipad and iphone from the mac and that is backup. If Time Capsule is able to backup iOS, then they can finally break the umbilical cord with desktop itunes.

S

tlinford
Jun 2, 2011, 07:58 AM

This comment deserves a 'daft' award. I agree that the price does seem high, BUT, these devices work like no other I've yet to come across.

The ease of setting up an extended network is unbealiebaly good. I started with an express device in our apartment, it was driving two USB printers wirelessly. Faultless performance...

When we moves into a bigger house, I got an extreme set this up as the network hub and bridged my express... I also set up a hard drive onto the extreme.. The whole network was a doodle to set-up and I have had over a year of faultiness performance. With many devices attached to it at the same time, 2 laptops, 2 iPhones and now an iPad... Networked printers and hard drives for time machine for two laptops.... Configured in minutes....

My only complain might be that Apple might be offering me something I can't resist.... And I cannot justify replacing the network hardware!!!!!

mstrze
Jun 2, 2011, 08:00 AM
They have way too much brand "Air" pollution (Airport Extreme, Airport Express, Airport Extreme Base Station, Airplay, Airdrop, Air Tunes, Macbook Air, etc.)

Dropping "Airport" from what is actually a wifi radio (name didn't make sense to me on the Macs) would make sense. I see the "airport" as the router/hub, not the laptop/planes connecting.

Although the Airport name has been around for more than a decade. It's a legacy, well-known item and dropping that wouldn;t make a ton of sense honestly.

And as for other comments...I would hate to see a combined ATV and Airport, since my internet does not feed into my home near my TV, so I would have to do some re-wiring.

Someone brought up a 3G (or LTE) modem inside the Extreme...that's a very good suggestion and with Apple's recent history of stand-along modems (iPhone, iPad) this seems the most likely to me and would be a perfect reason to update the Extreme. Maybe allowing 3G as an option, but still allowing the usual Ethernet-connected modem internet connection as well. Boy, it would be nice to still have an internet connection if my cable internet ever goes out.

SBeardsl
Jun 2, 2011, 08:05 AM
I hope that this allows the printer you share over the Airport to be used for Airprint.There were patent issues with AirPrint over Wi-Fi to things other than HP printers. (I assume but can't confirm the patents belong to HP and HP didn't want to license away a competitive advantage from their printer line). Apple might be able to program around them, or not, but that was why it was pulled when almost working.

maroontiger2k9
Jun 2, 2011, 08:31 AM
this is a really exciting opportunity for Apple to add more value to the iOS devices and :apple:TV

(probably wont happen but..) i wish they could add HOME SHARING functionality where you can stream to your iOS devices w/o having to have a computer running with itunes open... and for apple tv, to be able to stream to the apple tv at will w/o having a computer open with home sharing on

PLEASE ADD A 7200RPM HDD.. and RAM upgrade please!!!!

if apple could make the time capsule into a device that supported HDD upgrades, that would be great as well

id also like to see some 3GB, 4GB options available to allow RAID backup options..

i just hope that apple doesnt drop the ball and release a time capsule this year with mediocre updates

revelated
Jun 2, 2011, 08:33 AM
And the other routers perform better for less money.

Not with Apple computers and portables, they don't. Apple's hardware plays extremely nice with the Airports/Time Capsules. They don't do so hot on non-Apple routers. Not only my own experience, but numerous discussions on the issue.

I do agree that a price drop is warranted though. $149 at the most for the Extreme. $79 at the most for the Express. Time Capsule is the worst offender of them all - with drive prices and given it's nothing more than an Extreme with a basic hard drive in it the Time Capsule should be no more than $200 for the 1TB version, $229 for the 2TB version. I'm serious.

onetoescape
Jun 2, 2011, 08:35 AM
Could it be a buffer and or cache being added to it for the icloud?

bradkrischel
Jun 2, 2011, 08:46 AM
Wouldn't be surprised to see a Thunderbolt port on it

doctor-don
Jun 2, 2011, 08:58 AM
Not really. The cheapest I have seen a 2TB external HDD is just under $100. There's no way Apple would offer a 2TB drive with an Extreme thrown in (which is essentially a TC), for just $100 more. Heck, a 2TB external from Apple without AEBS capability might cost you 200...then throw in the AEBS circuitry for an extra $100? :(

My speculation...and it's just that....is that a plain old AEBS will cease to exist and all will get HDDs added, so essentially they will only sell Time Capsules...starting at $200 for a 1TB. $300 for 2TB? $350-400 for 4TB?

And I am only saying this cause AEBSs are disappearing off the shelves and like others, I cannot for the life of me think of what they could be doing to improve the product. Leads me to believe it's a wholesale change into a TC...you'll get an internal drive for just a few bucks more than you'd pay for the current AEBS.

My ONLY complaint about my AEBS is the heat it generates. That's why I raised it off the surface with a stand that allows air to circulate under it.

Including any HDD in the AEBS will only lead to a shortened life as the HDD life is finite.

theOtherGeoff
Jun 2, 2011, 09:00 AM
Could it be a buffer and or cache being added to the icloud?

I see all airports getting several GB of RAM storage... and all time capsules being multi-TB plus a a couple GB of RAM. Then they become part of a staged storage system.

This has been my theory for at least a year (iOS 4). time capsule and airport extremes are 'near line' caching of your data... upstream (backups) and downstream (same, and purchased content). Now each device only really needs to store a few % of the media, allowing the rest to stream from a local caching server.

Long term... I can see P2P caching of common data (the patent on 'partial' content delivery... think a licensed torrent... apple seeds a new movie... all the Airport Extreme's TimeCapsule that get it then are part of the torrent to supplement the download to other nearby (same ISP) users), to both offload Apple's data center and pipes, and keeps most traffic to your iDevice low latency in your home.

How does this help. I definitely see stuff like Facetime being able to expand to 'conference calling' (my router is part of the traffic management, minimally handling the multicasting of my signal out, and ideally, doing the buffering of all the inbound information (IP packet buffering is better the closer it is to the core and to the core transport speeds)

Finally, getting this to the edge allows for your domicile to better participate in the cloud services. Your laptop can now sleep. Your iPad can now be turned off. your local data services are just part of your network... always on (if you want them to be), and when you get to podunk ohio, you can click on 'my folder' and get 'your stuff,' either from the Apple iCloud, or from your personal server back home... or both.

toddybody
Jun 2, 2011, 09:01 AM
Although the Airport name has been around for more than a decade. It's a legacy, well-known item and dropping that wouldn;t make a ton of sense honestly.

And as for other comments...I would hate to see a combined ATV and Airport, since my internet does not feed into my home near my TV, so I would have to do some re-wiring.

Someone brought up a 3G (or LTE) modem inside the Extreme...that's a very good suggestion and with Apple's recent history of stand-along modems (iPhone, iPad) this seems the most likely to me and would be a perfect reason to update the Extreme. Maybe allowing 3G as an option, but still allowing the usual Ethernet-connected modem internet connection as well. Boy, it would be nice to still have an internet connection if my cable internet ever goes out.

It would have to have a MAJOR size reduction and internal battery for that to be useful.

Whats the point of a mifi station that isnt portable? Chances are, if you have 3G reception in your area...youve got high speed internet as well (much less DSL).

...Are you going to pay $30.00+ a month for capped data, just for occasions when "cable internet ever goes out"?

mingoglia
Jun 2, 2011, 09:02 AM
It figures since I just bought 2 Extreme's like 2 or 3 weeks ago. One for home, and one for the office since I was tired of all the Linksys routers that would fail every few months.

toddybody
Jun 2, 2011, 09:03 AM
I see all airports getting several GB of RAM storage... and all time capsules being multi-TB plus a a couple GB of RAM.

Sorry, but Apple beat you to it. Its called a Mac Mini;)

rdlink
Jun 2, 2011, 09:08 AM
Well my Linksys 610N has been on for a year without a reboot, and that was because I moved. Before that it was turned on for two years with no reboot. And my parents' wrt54gc has also been on for a year or two now with no problems. Also the interface is quite similar. I'm not saying anything bad about the Airport extreme, but from my experience the Linksys router are top notch.

Never said Linksys doesn't make good routers. As I said, I've owned several myself. But my post was referring to the statements that the AEBS is overpriced compared to similarly featured devices.

And I'm not calling you a liar, but I have owned/configured/supported enough Linksys routers to know that two years without a reboot makes you a very rare exception. In fact, there is a 610N sitting outside of my office right now that generally gets rebooted once every month or two.

And your statement that the "interface is quite similar" makes my point exactly. Looking for "interface is identical."

extradryny
Jun 2, 2011, 09:11 AM
If I could have one wish for my AE, it would be an upgrade to its poor D/A converter. Haven't seen that mentioned. Love the functionality and ease of use of Airtunes but the sound quality is.. ugh.

I have a Gen 1 TC, so I'll assume my position on TC upgrades needs no clarification, i.e. "yes please". Although surprisingly enough, mine is still chugging along (at approx. 8,000 degrees and with quite a racket, but chugging nonetheless).

flopticalcube
Jun 2, 2011, 09:13 AM
They have that 3*3 MIMO stuff. Bumps 802.11n to 450 BM.

AEBS and TC already do this. Have done for the past 2 years.

If I could have one wish for my AE, it would be an upgrade to its poor D/A converter. Haven't seen that mentioned. Love the functionality and ease of use of Airtunes but the sound quality is.. ugh.

Use the optical output to an outboard DAC. I'd rather Apple kept the cost down.

DJinTX
Jun 2, 2011, 09:17 AM
Yes! Hopefully everyones predictions about it incorporating an iTunes server are true. Only yesterday I was thinking that as leaving my computer on just doesnt seem the best option.

And please whatever they do get away from the horrible white. Nice aluminium / black combo please like the Macmini and a nice black for the AEX! White id for washing machines and dishwashers.

Between white and black I choose white. Most people have white walls in their houses, which makes the Airport much easier to hide or blend into surroundings. Ultimately I like aluminum, but this isn't so great for wi-fi signals. Although, I guess Apple could punch a ton of micro sized holes in the aluminum for the signal to get through.

Tup
Jun 2, 2011, 09:17 AM
The addition of PPoA would be helpful. As it is though stuck with another modem bridging PPoE to PPoA.

bigwig
Jun 2, 2011, 09:44 AM
Funny that people always reference Netgear and Linksys nearly exclusively - try Draytek Vigor instead!
I've never heard of them before.

grapefruitx
Jun 2, 2011, 10:04 AM
It is difficult to guess were there going with this, sort of stuff i would like, USB 3 Firewire, is unlikely. Apple will want to add services, My guess would be some sort of IOS device, for serving up stuff they can sell from Steve's Cloud. with networking thrown in for "free" cos it has to do that stuff anyway

old-school
Jun 2, 2011, 10:08 AM
I bought one of these (Airport Extreme) at the weekend.

Any chance they will let me take it back so I can get the new one they bring out?

kingtj
Jun 2, 2011, 10:20 AM
I have to agree that the Airport Extremes are VERY good wi-fi routers, all in all. They do justify paying a premium price. I've tried a LOT of different makes and models of wireless routers over the years (especially since I have a side business where I do a lot of these installations for other people), and few are better made and more reliable than the Airport Extremes.

On the flip-side though? If you want to do really advanced things with your router, you'll have far more configuration options and flexibility with something like a Linksys that's been custom re-flashed with the "dd-wrt" firmware. But for 98% of the people out there, Apple covered the features they'd ever want to use.

The device I think needs to go away is the "Time Capsule". The fact that it only holds one hard drive is a major weak spot, IMO. After all, you can pretty easily throw a USB or firewire external drive on any Mac in your house and do your Time Machine backups directly to it -- and those have gotten dirt cheap. (I've seen 2TB external USB drives going for as little as $79-99 on sale occasionally at retail stores in town.) They're going to back up and restore far faster than a Time Capsule too, since they're attached directly to the machine.

If Apple wants to offer a centralized network backup solution, they need to make a *real* NAS box out of the thing! How about a little cube-shaped box that holds 4 hot-swappable SATA drives in trays? Better yet? How about a web-based control panel for it where you can enable a feature to make it act like another Mac on your LAN sharing a video/music library stored on it in a special folder - so even your AppleTV can play from it? Now THAT I'd buy real fast!

This comment deserves a 'daft' award. I agree that the price does seem high, BUT, these devices work like no other I've yet to come across.

The ease of setting up an extended network is unbealiebaly good. I started with an express device in our apartment, it was driving two USB printers wirelessly. Faultless performance...

When we moves into a bigger house, I got an extreme set this up as the network hub and bridged my express... I also set up a hard drive onto the extreme.. The whole network was a doodle to set-up and I have had over a year of faultiness performance. With many devices attached to it at the same time, 2 laptops, 2 iPhones and now an iPad... Networked printers and hard drives for time machine for two laptops.... Configured in minutes....

My only complain might be that Apple might be offering me something I can't resist.... And I cannot justify replacing the network hardware!!!!!

mstrze
Jun 2, 2011, 10:25 AM
My ONLY complaint about my AEBS is the heat it generates. That's why I raised it off the surface with a stand that allows air to circulate under it.

Has this been a problem for you? My AEBS and older ATV1 were hot, I agree with you there, but it never affected performance. In fact, since the outside was so hot I felt confident that the inside was being cooled due to conduction of the heat from inside to the outer casing.

It's not like I ever needed to hold these items or put them on my lap. They are on desktops or in entertainment system furniture and they have just worked without issue for me and for millions of other folk. My ATV1 was just replaced last month, but worked perfectly (and still does for its new owner) for 3 years and my AEBS is still going strong at just shy of 4 years. I had not done anything special to dissipate the heat that is supposedly causing it major damage.

4nNtt
Jun 2, 2011, 10:34 AM
New A5 based airports? iPhone app for configuring? Better support for airplay? Built-in AppleTV? Maybe a new home server version of time capsule? iTunes Library on time capsule?

BeachChair
Jun 2, 2011, 10:40 AM
I could see it become like a local iCloud server. Host all your media locally for wifi speed advantages when you're at home, supplemented by Apple's servers hosting your iCloud when you're on the go.

iCloud Home, $199.

A local repeater of whatever you have in your iCloud, syncing automatically with Apple, and backing up iPhones, iPads, Macs and everything.

asr
Jun 2, 2011, 10:41 AM

I posit that the aluminum unibody design would be a poor choice for a wireless router. The aluminum would block the wireless radios' signals pretty effectively. The unibody design works with the MacBook Pros because the antennas are in the black (plastic) hinge cover. However, while cutting a hole in the aluminum (Š la iPod Touch antenna) works for an iPod or MacBook, the AirPort Extreme is intended to support up to 50 wireless clients simultaneously, so one would want maximum throughput. A plastic-covered hole in the unibody might be enough to allow a percentage of the wireless signal to pass through, but not nearly as high of a percentage as if the entire case was plastic (hence the current design). Aesthetically speaking, I would suspect a change to black plastic (think: Apple TV) before aluminum.

extradryny
Jun 2, 2011, 11:07 AM
Use the optical output to an outboard DAC. I'd rather Apple kept the cost down.

If one has the cash to drop outboard D/A converters against every AE in their house, then I agree that's the way to go. But for now I'm not looking for an audiophile quality D/A converter -- just one that's as good as, say, the $40 DVD player sitting in my rack system. I have to think that with Apple's scale, the D/A converter could be much improved with little impact to cost.

mrzeigler
Jun 2, 2011, 12:27 PM
It's odd that they'd remove the Airport branding. doesn't make sense seeing as how much effort Apple has gone through to push services with names such as "AirPlay" and "AirPrint".

And how are we supposed to soar into the cloud without an Airport?

The name is a natural addition to cloud-related computer vocabulary. I don't see it being phased out just when Apple announces a new cloud-based venture.

biggy52
Jun 2, 2011, 01:05 PM
It would have to have a MAJOR size reduction and internal battery for that to be useful.

Whats the point of a mifi station that isnt portable? Chances are, if you have 3G reception in your area...youve got high speed internet as well (much less DSL).

...Are you going to pay $30.00+ a month for capped data, just for occasions when "cable internet ever goes out"?

I agree no one would pay for capped data. But you are taking America and all the 1st world countries into consideration ONLY. Most of Africa and India, the cable connection is very slow. For us to get good , fast access to internet, we have to rely on 3G provided by the cellphone operators. Hence the 3G dongles are 90% of the internet market in my country (Tanzania). Currently i have my home network running with the Airport Extreme, but to get the 3G functionality i have to add another 3G router (which is not reliable and hangs often) So the hassle free network i have created gets crippled only when i rely on internet from a junk dlink or huawei 3G router.

quik
Jun 2, 2011, 03:29 PM
Bought one Airport Extreme base station 2 weeks ago. Will get it back on Monday night if there is something new from Apple.

Krovem
Jun 2, 2011, 04:23 PM
They need to make the airport function better with PCs.

mstrze
Jun 2, 2011, 04:57 PM

They don't? My Lenovo work laptop has absolutely no issues joining my Airport network...nor do I have an issue with my Wii. My in-laws have brought their PC laptops over too several times and have had no issues connecting.:confused:

doctor-don
Jun 2, 2011, 06:22 PM
Has this been a problem for you? My AEBS and older ATV1 were hot, I agree with you there, but it never affected performance. In fact, since the outside was so hot I felt confident that the inside was being cooled due to conduction of the heat from inside to the outer casing.

It's not like I ever needed to hold these items or put them on my lap. They are on desktops or in entertainment system furniture and they have just worked without issue for me and for millions of other folk. My ATV1 was just replaced last month, but worked perfectly (and still does for its new owner) for 3 years and my AEBS is still going strong at just shy of 4 years. I had not done anything special to dissipate the heat that is supposedly causing it major damage.

Considering the fact that Comcast cable has had service interruptions due to parts breaking down due to high temperatures in this area - maybe other areas as well, I believe hot electronics can shorten the lives of internal parts. Perhaps some additional cooling is needed.

doctor-don
Jun 2, 2011, 06:25 PM
They don't? My Lenovo work laptop has absolutely no issues joining my Airport network...nor do I have an issue with my Wii. My in-laws have brought their PC laptops over too several times and have had no issues connecting.:confused:

My older Compaq notebook has always been able to connect to the internet via my AEBS.

gramirez2012
Jun 2, 2011, 06:30 PM

How so? 802.11b/g/n is 802.11b/g/n. Nothing proprietary about it.

LightSpeed1
Jun 2, 2011, 06:38 PM
They would change it the year I purchase one.

Applepi
Jun 2, 2011, 06:58 PM
Whatever comes next, I'll be getting. My airport needs a refresh.

MattInOz
Jun 2, 2011, 07:28 PM
If Apple wants to offer a centralized network backup solution, they need to make a *real* NAS box out of the thing! How about a little cube-shaped box that holds 4 hot-swappable SATA drives in trays? Better yet? How about a web-based control panel for it where you can enable a feature to make it act like another Mac on your LAN sharing a video/music library stored on it in a special folder - so even your AppleTV can play from it? Now THAT I'd buy real fast!

What if they used 2.5 drives?
If you take an AppleTV and extrude it out you could get 5x2.5 drives into that case. That way as people change to laptops with SSD they could drop their old drive into one of the slots. Build as a bunch of disks so you could add or change a disk. To me that would be a perfect little home or small office NAS.

MacNewbie03
Jun 2, 2011, 10:40 PM
I bought an Airport Extreme in January and loved how it performed. Last week a big lightening storm knocked out bunch of electronics in my house, including my Airport. I had resort to getting my old wireless router out again, its a Wireless-B so its really SLOW!! I guess that I will wait till after the WWDC keynote and see if anything new gets released.

ConnorTurnbull
Jun 2, 2011, 10:47 PM
They would change it the year I purchase one.

To be fair, they've changed it every year since they released it.

German
Jun 2, 2011, 10:58 PM
Time Capsule:
Swappable hdd please!
iTunes Server please!

mstrze
Jun 3, 2011, 07:05 AM
Considering the fact that Comcast cable has had service interruptions due to parts breaking down due to high temperatures in this area - maybe other areas as well, I believe hot electronics can shorten the lives of internal parts. Perhaps some additional cooling is needed.

Well, those of us with functioning AEBSs that are 3-5+ years old and going strong would tend to disagree with your assumptions.

The Comcast disruptions are likely from failed cooling systems in regional and local switchers that aren't built for the type of heat you have been experiencing (assuming you are somewhere in the NE/Mid Atlantic.) Here in Texas, we just had our earliest 100 in Houston and I hadn't heard any failures of local phone or internet services.

Sure, extreme heat is bad for electronics. But the failure rates of the AEBS are ridiculously low despite the fact they 'feel' hot. What feels hot to you may not really be hot for electronics.

animatedude
Jun 3, 2011, 07:11 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

They could be adding an ADSL router so it works better around the globe. In Europe at least ADSL is the still the most common connection method. The only thing that has put me and many people off an AEBS so far is the lack of modem meaning we have to use a separate modem (and have 2 pieces of equipment).

agree 100%.

DJHack
Jun 3, 2011, 07:51 AM
Time Capsule:
Swappable hdd please!
iTunes Server please!

+ 1

And also Thunderbolt so that I can hardwire my iMac and speed up backups.

Come on ... someone has got to release a Thunderbolt product one day so why not :apple: first :p

mstrze
Jun 3, 2011, 08:31 AM
I don't think that they would add a DSL modem to the unit unless they could also add a cable modem to it. It needs to be a universal product, allowing it to work with any set-up, as it does right now. I use my current AEBS with my cable modem. It's not a big deal to me having two boxes, but I can see how some would want only one.

I can see them adding a 3G modem internally, since this could be used globally.

skate71290
Jun 3, 2011, 08:50 AM
would love a Drobo type Time Capsule

Texran
Jun 13, 2011, 08:32 PM
Today I returned the airport extreme I purchased 14 days ago from my local Apple Store. I was worried they might come out with some kind of refresh.
Sure enough while there I looked around and they no longer have any on the shelves. They had plenty back when I purchased mine, but now no Extremes, or Time Capsules.

srf4real
Jun 13, 2011, 08:42 PM
Today I returned the airport extreme I purchased 14 days ago from my local Apple Store. I was worried they might come out with some kind of refresh.
Sure enough while there I looked around and they no longer have any on the shelves. They had plenty back when I purchased mine, but now no Extremes, or Time Capsules.

Did you notice any minis? I am holding out in hopes of an ultimate small profile set-up.. a 4 core mini server and TB time capsule/ wireless router in one.. that would be the bomb!:p

haruhiko
Jun 13, 2011, 08:51 PM
So when can I buy a new Airport Express which can be configured by my iPhone? I have been holding off since the rumor of constrained supply.

davidwarren
Jun 13, 2011, 08:54 PM
So when can I buy a new Airport Express which can be configured by my iPhone? I have been holding off since the rumor of constrained supply.

That's a feature of iOS 5.

Texran
Jun 13, 2011, 08:56 PM
Did you notice any minis? I am holding out in hopes of an ultimate small profile set-up.. a 4 core mini server and TB time capsule/ wireless router in one.. that would be the bomb!:p

No, but I wasn't looking around for those either.

haruhiko
Jun 13, 2011, 09:03 PM
That's a feature of iOS 5.

Yes, but now iOS 5 only supports the initial set up of the AirPort routers, after that you won't be able to see the router again in the WiFi settings page. I hope that this will be changed with later builds of iOS 5......