PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for PowerMac G5 DC 2.3GHz...

Nameci
Jun 1, 2011, 10:09 PM
Hello PowerPC people!

Finally, I have satisfied my urge for a PowerMac G5. I have just received a bare PM G5. It is bare, Nvidia 6600, no HDD, 512MB of memory, no airport extreme and bluetooth and no power cable. I can rate it cosmetically to be within 95 to 98% mint.

After dusted it off, I have checked the physical conditions of the innards and they seem to look like new. I have not powered it on yet, since the power cable is still on transit.

I need your opinions so I can weigh in my selections for the hard drive. I am planning to max the RAM at 16GB. Right now I have shoved in a 2 x 2GB PC2 6400 in there. I will be learning FCS2 on this baby, so I wanted it to be at decent speed encoding medias. I am not expecting any speed comparing to early base mac pros.

Is it worth installing a Velociraptor as boot? Or I would just stick to 7200rpm drive with 16 to 32mb cache? Would it be faster if I do a software raid?

Which is more favorable to store the media on a FW external or to an internal drive?

Thanks in advance.

Next project... Aluminum ACD... :)

alust2013
Jun 1, 2011, 10:17 PM
I'd pass on a velociraptor, they're pretty noisy and hot. A good 7200 RPM HDD should be fine, and a soft RAID will make it faster with another drive or 2.

Nameci
Jun 1, 2011, 10:37 PM
It's not going to be my main computer. I fell in love with my dual processor 1.42ghz MDD. Love at first sight, lol. So I more into looking for the best bang for the buck. WD Caviar Blk is I think too much, I am looking into a Hitachi Deskstar, would it be a wise choice?

VanneDC
Jun 1, 2011, 11:18 PM
the WB black would be my prefered option... fast and reliable.

Nameci
Jun 3, 2011, 08:57 PM
Got my power cable today. Opened it up cleaned by blowing compressed air. This baby is a beauty in and out. Well designed, much better designed than the PowerMac G4. The only let down is that you can only put 2 HDD.

Connected a 24" monitor on DVI-1 and powered up the baby. It booted without any errors. The folder with question mark appears, so I know that I need to have a boot drive.

Shoved in an 80GB SATA HDD for testing, opened up the superdrive and I have put a Leopard retail disk in. It continued to boot on the install DVD.

I have successfully installed Leopard, updated it to 10.5.8. It runs fluid on the NVidia 6600. Safari opens with just a bounce. CPU temps were at 38c idle. RAM was listed as 4.5GB, 1 pair of 256MB PC4200 and 1 pair of 2GB PC6400, the PC6400 was listed as PC3200-288?. :(

I have ordered an ATI Radeon X1900 Mac Edition to replace the standard NVidia 6600. Might buy 2 x 500GB SATA drives tomorrow, would like to do a software raid0.

Next on the list;
1. Upgrade memory to max out 16GB for FCS2...
2. A pair of 20" Aluminum Cinema Display
3. Airport Extreme

Anymore suggestions?

brycemason
Jun 3, 2011, 10:22 PM
Throw a SSD in there and forget the raid! Use externals for the editing host.

Nameci
Jun 3, 2011, 10:49 PM
Or i can have SSD for boot and 1TB for the 2nd HDD? The thing is really fast for a machine that is more than 5 years old, probably it is because of the fsb?

666sheep
Jun 4, 2011, 08:09 AM
Congrats, you've got the best G5 ever made :)

Give it SSD instead of RAID, it's a lot better idea.

Power Mac
Jun 4, 2011, 10:14 AM
Is it worth installing a Velociraptor as boot?
Hard drives suck as boot drives. Get any SSD and any $75 1TB hard drive for data.

Nameci
Jun 4, 2011, 10:17 AM
Do you have any recommendations? OWC is a bit pricey, and I am not willing to spend 500 bucks more for the drive. Intel? OCZ Vertex? Kingston?

Power Mac
Jun 4, 2011, 11:51 AM
Any SSD will be better than even the best hard drives.

Transporteur
Jun 4, 2011, 01:38 PM
Any SSD will be better than even the best hard drives.

Nope. There is a variety of low (and I mean really low) end SSDs (mostly from no-name companies) that perform quite horrible. Worse than a decent 7200RPM drive in fact.

Anyhow, my recommendation as usual, Intel. Rock solid drives with very good performance (not the best to be true, but the differences are indistinguishable).

That being said, I wouldn't invest too much into the machine (SSD is fine since you can re-use them in later machines). The CPU performance is very limited and 16GB seems a waste, especially considering the prices for DDR2 memory these days.
I've had the same machine (the 2.0 DC, though) and was always limited by the CPU. It had 8GB which was sufficient and should be in your case as well since FC is still 32bit, hence can't utilise more than 3GB of RAM.
So I'd recommend testing if you're fine with 8GB first (4x2GB) and upgrade later if necessary.

VanneDC
Jun 4, 2011, 02:59 PM
That gt card is great, you will love it. I had the same card in my quad g5 before upgrading to the fx quadro. It runs great and not much noise. Highly recommended. Good box you have there. I am looking at buying a similar machine here for fun. Cheers

Nameci
Jun 4, 2011, 04:30 PM
I don't have the 7800GT card, it's an ATI X1900 that is coming.

I have a 32GB SSD on my hack, I am thinking of putting it on the G5 as a boot drive. I will be self learning FCS2, considering it, although my boot and program launch will be fast, if it is just 32GB I can't use it as a scratch disk am I correct?

I want my experience with FCS2 to be decent at a minimum cost. This Mac will have nothing of other apps but only FCS. I have my G4 as my main Mac and I love it to death.

If I will do a software raid0, I can be a little faster than the current 1.5G the G5 supports, boot and scratch on the same drive. Or other option, 32GB SSD boot, 750GB internal storage and a 500GB FW800 scratch disk. Doing this setup, there is no need for me to spend a penny since I already have these parts, well except maybe for the SSD 2.5" to 3.5" adaptor.

Thanks guys for the replies. What do you think?

Power Mac
Jun 4, 2011, 08:20 PM
There is a variety of low (and I mean really low) end SSDs (mostly from no-name companies) that perform quite horrible. Worse than a decent 7200RPM drive in fact.
Thank you for demonstrating you know nothing about SSDs.
Data transfer rates mean nothing. The entire point of an SSD is seek latency. Even the absolute fastest hard drives have a 1ms seek time, even the crappiest SSDs have a 0.1ms seek time.
OSX has nearly 100,000 files across the 3 Library folders across 4.5GB, that means an average size of less than 25kb. Seeking large numbers of small files is what hard drives suck donkey dongs at doing and SSDs excel at.

That being said, even the crappiest SSD will greatly increase the responsiveness of a computer over a fast hard drive.

I've had the same machine (the 2.0 DC, though) and was always limited by the CPU.
No. The DC 2.0's limitation is the very weak GeForce 6600LE.

Power Mac
Jun 4, 2011, 08:27 PM
I don't have the 7800GT card, it's an ATI X1900 that is coming.
Good. The X1900 is a much superior card.

I have a 32GB SSD on my hack, I am thinking of putting it on the G5 as a boot drive. I will be self learning FCS2, considering it, although my boot and program launch will be fast, if it is just 32GB I can't use it as a scratch disk am I correct?
32GB is ample. OSX and all applications only occupy 12.9GB, so you will still have more than half the drive empty. And if you're working with scratch files larger than 19GB, you will very likely need a computer MUCH more powerful than any G5.

You can also create RAM disks as large as you want using the terminal's software RAID command, which will be even faster than a scratch disk and there is no 2.2GB 32-bit limit.
Though if you have enough ram you won't need a scratch disk.

Or other option, 32GB SSD boot, 750GB internal storage and a 500GB FW800 scratch disk.
FW800 is much slower than SATA.

well except maybe for the SSD 2.5" to 3.5" adaptor.
An SSD does not need an adapter. Just let it rest on top of the hard drive or on the floorboard of the drive compartment.

Nameci
Jun 4, 2011, 09:06 PM
I bought an adaptor bracket for cheap, 7 bucks. I am now updating the install to 10.5.8.

I am not looking for boot speed I am looking for app launching speed. I will let you all how did it go.

Paired it with an aluminum wireless keyboard and magic mouse, and a 24" LCD Display. Res at 1920x1200.

Thank you all for the much needed advises and information.

Nameci
Jun 4, 2011, 10:25 PM
Update!

Woohoo! 6.5 secs loading FCP... I am more than satisfied.

Now I am getting excited. Next 23" Al Cinema Display.

VanneDC
Jun 4, 2011, 10:52 PM
The card your getting/got is actually an x1900gt thus I called it a gt card. At any rate it's a great card. :D

Nameci
Jun 4, 2011, 11:41 PM
Oh I see, is it a GT? I thought GT's were for NVidia's?

Anyhow, here's the picture. Bear with me, I have taken this with a crappy samsung mobile phone.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/SilverS3/th_Photo-0046.jpg

Geekbench score for those of you who wanted to know.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/SilverS3/th_GeekbenchscorePowerMacG5.png

XBench Score;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/SilverS3/Picture1-3.png

Transporteur
Jun 5, 2011, 05:51 AM
Thank you for demonstrating you know nothing about SSDs.
Data transfer rates mean nothing. The entire point of an SSD is seek latency. Even the absolute fastest hard drives have a 1ms seek time, even the crappiest SSDs have a 0.1ms seek time.
OSX has nearly 100,000 files across the 3 Library folders across 4.5GB, that means an average size of less than 25kb. Seeking large numbers of small files is what hard drives suck donkey dongs at doing and SSDs excel at.

That being said, even the crappiest SSD will greatly increase the responsiveness of a computer over a fast hard drive.

Just FYI, there are SSDs out there that have lower IOPS (read 4k random reads/writes, which is what the OS benefits from) than mechanical hard drives. The fasted access time means nothing if the drive can't supply the required data (read IOPS).
There are really horrible drives out there, but again, no-name and really cheap.

No. The DC 2.0's limitation is the very weak GeForce 6600LE.

My system never came with the 6600LE. I've had 200% CPU utilisation almost all the time.

Oh BTW; Hello 300D again. Wondering how long it takes the mods this time to ban you. I give it two weeks, tops!

Power Mac
Jun 5, 2011, 07:57 PM
Just FYI, there are SSDs out there that have lower IOPS (read 4k random reads/writes, which is what the OS benefits from) than mechanical hard drives.
That is false information. Even an ancient 512MB USB2 stick performs better in 4k read performance. see attachment.

My system never came with the 6600LE.
If yous was a 2.0 as described, yes it did.

Oh BTW; Hello 300D again. Wondering how long it takes the mods this time to ban you. I give it two weeks, tops!
Your ignorance is astonishing. Go troll a different forum where people are less educated than yourself (if thats possible)

Power Mac
Jun 5, 2011, 07:59 PM
The card your getting/got is actually an x1900gt

X1900GTO actually. There was no GT for the G5 machines, only the MacPro.

Nameci
Jun 5, 2011, 08:24 PM
Yes, with much googling i found it out to be an ATI Radeon X1900GTO. You are right.

adcx64
Jun 5, 2011, 09:54 PM
Congrats on the new G5! I was thinking about picking one of these guys up, sometime in the future, if my parents decide to buy it for my graduation. I'm going for the 2.0 ghz dual core 2005 model.

Electricidad
Jun 5, 2011, 11:41 PM
I'm going for the 2.0 ghz dual core 2005 model.

Why? For a negligible price difference the 2.3 is significantly more powerful.

brycemason
Jun 6, 2011, 12:51 AM
I'm writing to back up Trans on his post about SSDs. I did a lot of reading about SSD and he's right, the first-generation SSD drives are so bad at random writes that they make the OS stutter. You can read about it at Anandtech. Or you can yell loudly that Anand knows nothing about his research.

For the unlearned about SSD, his two articles are epic and will give you a great intro to the technology.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2738

Just make sure you don't throw any old JMicron controller SSD in there or else you'll be dissatisfied.

VanneDC
Jun 6, 2011, 01:43 AM
lol, i know its a GTO, however system profiler (from memory) reports it as the X1900GT. :D

at any rate, it truely is a great card and only marginally slower than the Nvidia Quadro. /Runs for cover/ :eek:

boy, nice system your throwing together there Nameci, esp with the alu screen mate. You will love it.

Since ive sold my Quad G5, ive always missed the humm of the G5.

Nameci
Jun 6, 2011, 04:08 AM
Congrats on the new G5! I was thinking about picking one of these guys up, sometime in the future, if my parents decide to buy it for my graduation. I'm going for the 2.0 ghz dual core 2005 model.

Thanks.

With 2.0 DC or 2.3 DC you can't go wrong. They are still a workhorse. I am thinking for a quad rather than the dual core previously, but maintenance wise, an air-cooled system is much easier to maintain than a liquid cooled one, in my opinion.

Electricidad
Jun 6, 2011, 11:46 AM
the first-generation SSD drives are so bad at random writes that they make the OS stutter.

The likelihood of somebody buying such a drive is very small.

lol, i know its a GTO, however system profiler (from memory) reports it as the X1900GT.
No, its reported as...
ATI Radeon X1900 XT:

Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1900
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
Slot: SLOT-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x7240
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-A52070-109

Nameci
Jun 6, 2011, 01:09 PM
Now, I am getting excited. I can't wait to receive the card. It will be here on Thursday.

For the meantime I am contemplating on getting the 23" Al ACD or 2 x Acer 21" for cheap. With 23" ACD I will 1920 x 1200 single screen, with the Acer I will have 1920 x 1080 but twice the screen.

What d'ya think?

brycemason
Jun 6, 2011, 01:13 PM
The likelihood of somebody buying such a drive is very small.

Not if they are buying a PATA drive or are overly concerned with cost, which given the age of the machine, is a possibility. I do not know if the towers of the era were SATA/PATA, but please take care to get something that has a second-generation controller.

Nameci
Jun 6, 2011, 01:16 PM
Don't ya worry folks, I got my SSD with Sandforce 1222 controller on it. The one with the JMicron is on my "hack".

Transporteur
Jun 6, 2011, 02:15 PM
That is false information. Even an ancient 512MB USB2 stick performs better in 4k read performance. see attachment.

XBench. Nothing to add here! Just read anandtech (as recommended above).

If yous was a 2.0 as described, yes it did.

It came with the 256MB 6600. Horrible card btw If connected to a 30". It was later upgraded to an ATI 1900, which performed much better. Still, CPU performance was lousy.

Your ignorance is astonishing. Go troll a different forum where people are less educated than yourself (if thats possible)

Wow, didn't even take them an hour. Talking about trolls, welcome back as Electricidad...

Bloodstar
Jun 6, 2011, 03:39 PM
Now, I am getting excited. I can't wait to receive the card. It will be here on Thursday.

For the meantime I am contemplating on getting the 23" Al ACD or 2 x Acer 21" for cheap. With 23" ACD I will 1920 x 1200 single screen, with the Acer I will have 1920 x 1080 but twice the screen.

What d'ya think?

If you can use both of the 1920x1080 screens, go for them if you need the space. I've generally been told that Acer displays are decent.

Electricidad
Jun 6, 2011, 05:05 PM
Not if they are buying a PATA drive or are overly concerned with cost, which given the age of the machine, is a possibility.
No G5 has PATA unless you delete the optical drive.

XBench. Nothing to add here!
I'm happy you handle being disproved so easily.

It came with the 128MB 6600LE.
Thats correct.

Nameci
Jun 6, 2011, 10:57 PM
I have emailed the seller of the X1900 card, since it did not cross my mind that it should have the supply cable for the cooling fans. And I am right it shipped without the cable, great! Can I find it easily on the computer part shops?

666sheep
Jun 6, 2011, 11:41 PM
Can I find it easily on the computer part shops?

Rather on eBay (http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=pcie+power+cable+g5&_sacat=0&_odkw=pcie+power+cable&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313).

Electricidad
Jun 7, 2011, 12:10 AM
Can I find it easily on the computer part shops?

Yes, very cheaply. Its known as a "PCIe power cable".
The cables 666sheep shows are very expensive. A computer shop will have it for under $5.

VanneDC
Jun 7, 2011, 01:27 AM
the one Sheepy linked is actually the one you need, unless you wanna rob power from the dvd slot with a splitter cable and then a pcie power cable..

the one Sheepy linked is the way to go. imo anyways...

Nameci
Jun 7, 2011, 07:32 AM
This one I got, bought it last night.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160550367709&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_1156

VanneDC
Jun 7, 2011, 11:09 PM
Perfect mate!! :D

Nameci
Jul 1, 2011, 06:59 PM
Hey guys, finally I got to install the card.

Man, it is noisy. I can hear the whine from the fans of the vid card.

Does it need a driver for the system to recognize it? It is not outputting any video and it is not identified on the system profiler.

System profiler says; pci1002,b12...

I have a feeling it is a flashed card but the part number says it is a mac edition. P/N 102A5202250. Can somebody confirm it?

Nameci
Jul 5, 2011, 12:06 AM
First, I want to extend much deserve thanks to zen.state on his replies to my pm's.

And to add, I have decided on getting a couple of 21.5" Acer G215H instead of bidding a 23" Al ACD on ebay. More screen real estate for less the price and it is brand new.

As for my ATI x1900, I figured that I don't have to put too much effort on this not functioning x1900 that I bought from ebay. Life is like a box full of chocolates, you will never know what you will get.

Is the x1900 cooling fan that loud? I really like a quite system. I am looking into an nVidia GeForce 7800 GTX 512MB for this DC 2.3GHz G5. Since these cards have coolings fans in them, it would not guarantee a quite operation am I right? If it will be louder than x1900, then I would stick with the former.

VanneDC
Jul 5, 2011, 04:52 AM
matey, its been a while, but my 1900 came with an ati driver disk that was required to get it to work properly... cant remeber if it was super loud without the disk, but its possible.

cheers

cocacolakid
Jul 5, 2011, 01:50 PM
Nameci, I did some Googling for you, ATI's website says, "AMD Radeon™ graphics drivers are included as part of the Apple Mac OS X installation. Please update or restore your Mac OS X installation to ensure you have the latest available drivers."

When you installed Leopard you had an NVidia card in, it likely didn't install ATI drivers.

Here is the ATI support page, once you select Mac Graphics and run through all the options for your system/GPU, that's the answer they give...

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

Scarrus
Jul 5, 2011, 03:29 PM
Not meaning to offend you or anybody else, but dudes, the upcoming refreshed 11" base model MBA will smoke that thing and run circles around it at the same time

cocacolakid
Jul 5, 2011, 03:50 PM
Not meaning to offend you or anybody else, but dudes, the upcoming refreshed 11" base model MBA will smoke that thing and run circles around it at the same time

And your point is?

Hey, let's compare a $1000+ new computer with a $200 5-6 year old computer.

Everyone is aware of the differences.

A lot of people on this forum, especially the people who post regularly in the PowerPC forum either are trying to get a nice Mac experience on a budget due to limited finances, or love the PowerPC machines, which have a different character/feel than the new Macs. For many people, it's both.

VanneDC
Jul 5, 2011, 04:27 PM
I love the PPC PM :) would rather have one of them than those crappy flimsy MBA's anyday.

Nameci
Jul 5, 2011, 04:49 PM
Your are right cocacolakid. Thanks for the PM.

With due respect to the poster before you. I can well afford the greatest and the latest. But why would I? There is no thrill in it.

It is more fun tinkering things and make it work.

Nameci
Jul 5, 2011, 05:39 PM
Now I got 8.5GB on it, and the extra 4gb did make it feel like it is fast. Opening apps on just a bounce.

I wonder what improvement will additional 8GB do the system performance. It seems more fluid at 8.5 gb.

chrismacguy
Jul 5, 2011, 05:41 PM
I love the PPC PM :) would rather have one of them than those crappy flimsy MBA's anyday.

I agree with this statement, and I own an 11" MacBook Air (along with you know like 12 PPC Macs). The G5 is much more useful for everything apart from my bad back than my MacBook Air, and I will hold the same view with the next generation, especially given my MacBook Air cant exactly host a Music Studio for instance, or be used to edit video, whereas G5s can do both of those with ease with a little effort.

Tucom
Jul 8, 2011, 09:18 PM
Did you ever get the X1900XT working? I doubt it came DOA and is a working card. Is it installed in the bottom most slot on the machine? If I'm right then it can't be installed in any other slot, as they're only 4x and 8x PCIe lanes, and the 16x lane is that high for power too, so try that and let us know?

And props on that BEAUTIFUL, "CRAPPY(can't be serious there ofcourse..can I have it? :D lol )" AWESOME, STILL EXCELLENT G5. Having a Mac Mini C2D myself I miss the G5's, such elegant PPC machines.

Eventually life moves on and the G5's will become relatively unuseable I'd imagine, but I think for even another 5 years even for certain heavy lifting they'll be killer and that Dual Core model(s) really are the best, looking to actually trade an Intel Core 1 Duo mac mini for one right now :cool:

Nameci
Jul 8, 2011, 09:28 PM
Nope, I never did get it to work. I put it in slot 1 which is 16x first and it never did send any video signal to the monitor. Cooling fans full blast on boot. The computer boots because I can hear the boot chime. It seems that based on my research it was not an original X1900 mac edition, but probably a flashed pc or an unflashed pc card.

Anyway, charge that to experience. I am more happy with my setup.

This is what I got right now;
2 21" Acer monitors with 1920 x 1080 res
Nvidia 6600 gfx
64 GB SSD as boot drive
1 TB as Internal Data Storage
8.5 GB of ram and counting, target is to have a full 16gb on it.

Things planning to put on;
Apple Airport runway card, since i already have the Airport Extreme card
Aluminum Wireless Keyboard
Magic Mouse
A couple of Apple Cinema Display 23" or a massive 30" ACD

This is just a hobby folks, like putting together an old 'stang.

Tucom
Jul 8, 2011, 10:05 PM
Dude, the G5's are still epic machines I think, solid workhourses and I couldn't agree more that there's that spirit of putting together the beautiful machines the G5's still are, esp. since they have some advantages vs. Intel Macs; 1.) PPC, meaning no Intel mac viruses that if any do come out lol, 2.) Compatible w/ older Mac software 3.) vs. like the Mac Mini I have which screams, the G5 can take PCIe cards, faster GPU, and multiple full size HDDs.

And 4.) Seriously, are they not just drop dead in the GORGEOUS area?

And seriously, props on that EPIC G5, one of the best models ever made :) The DC's are really the only G5 I'd buy for serious work due to the improvements all around internally (and to a degree, externally)

Nameci
Jul 8, 2011, 10:30 PM
Yes they are gorgeous, but not drop dead though... lol.

It scores low on geekbench, but geekbench is geekbench. I don't think they are reliable.

I have used a Mac Proc 2x2.66 Xeon, and I am more satisfied and excited by the performance of the PM G5 2.3DC.

Tucom
Jul 8, 2011, 10:33 PM
Yes they are gorgeous, but not drop dead though... lol.

It scores low on geekbench, but geekbench is geekbench. I don't think they are reliable.

I have used a Mac Proc 2x2.66 Xeon, and I am more satisfied and excited by the performance of the PM G5 2.3DC.

Yeah, idk to me though I'd say drop dead just because there's a certain elegance I think that the G5 still possess that no other Apple product does IMO. Lian Li (maker of excellent quality PC cases) even copied the G5 case as faithfully as PC possible for what I think are obvious reasons: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/185491-28-does-lian-produce-apple-case

Then again, it's possibly Lian Li even produced the Apple case, but I have doubts.

EDIT: Yeah bummer for the ATI card, but yeah chalk it up to lack of research eh? That happens sometimes.

Nameci
Jul 8, 2011, 10:46 PM
Yes, I agree, ***** happens and it was one of those instances.

dontwalkhand
Jul 8, 2011, 11:11 PM
I LOVE MY DC 2.3!! I use it over my Intel machines, it is definitely worth the money that I paid for it. it is my main mac. :).

Nameci
Jul 14, 2011, 01:05 AM
Will I achieve performance if I put another SSD and make a software RAID0 out of two SSD's as boot? Would it be justifiable? I would delegate all data storage on a fw800 external drive. Boot up and app loading times would be fast I suppose.

Any comments on this?

Heavertron
Jul 14, 2011, 03:34 AM
Will I achieve performance if I put another SSD and make a software RAID0 out of two SSD's as boot? Would it be justifiable? I would delegate all data storage on a fw800 external drive. Boot up and app loading times would be fast I suppose.

Any comments on this?

I would not trust software raid at all. Plus, the SATAI interface is likely to be the bottleneck anyway.

Nameci
Jul 14, 2011, 08:35 AM
I have done software raid0 previously and I find them stable enough, never had a single issue. This is not a mission critical computer.

Will putting in a PCI-e SATA card improve the performance?

Nameci
Jul 23, 2011, 12:44 AM
Probably be buying and upgrading gfx card this week; what would you guys recommend? Quadro FX 4500 or GeForce 7800 GTX? Both are 512 MB i suppose.

Which is more noisy? And which is more faster?

Found the comparison for speed, my worries now is on the noise.

http://www.barefeats.com/mutant4.html

California
Jul 23, 2011, 02:15 AM
Probably be buying and upgrading gfx card this week; what would you guys recommend? Quadro FX 4500 or GeForce 7800 GTX? Both are 512 MB i suppose.

Which is more noisy? And which is more faster?

Found the comparison for speed, my worries now is on the noise.

http://www.barefeats.com/mutant4.html

Wow I didn't realize the 7800 was faster than the Quadro. I've owned both.
Quadro is silent almost, 7800 annoying with it's oem fan. You have to put a new fan on it. google around.

Nameci
Jul 23, 2011, 03:46 AM
I will be running CAD applications on this machine aside from learning Final Cut, so it seems the quadro is a better choice than the geforce 7800 gtx evethough the latter is faster.

And besides I really wanted a quieter machine.

VanneDC
Jul 23, 2011, 05:01 AM
Lol THE fx 4500 and THE 7800gtx are exactly THE Same card.

Speaking if which I just received my fx in the mail last week and now just gotta flash it to Mac, then finally get rid of that crappy 6600 that's in there ATM.

Tucom
Jul 23, 2011, 05:17 AM
I will be running CAD applications on this machine aside from learning Final Cut, so it seems the quadro is a better choice than the geforce 7800 gtx evethough the latter is faster.

And besides I really wanted a quieter machine.

I think he was talking about the 7800GT, which has that tiny, dinky single slot fan that blows the air back in the case, and was the only 7800 that was officially licensed and made by Apple.

He probably hasn't owned the 7800GTX, which AFAIK is the same exact cooler as the Quadro, so would be just as quiet and appreciably faster, and can only be obtained in the form of a flashed PC card, unless that's incorrect? But that's the cheapest way to get them and work just as well as any that would have been (or maybe were) made or licensed by Apple.

Either way, the 7800GT *X* would be, by far, the best choice IMO, unless you find the Quadro for a far better price than what the GTX can be had for.

And VanneDC, you have a G5? It's not in your sig.

Nameci
Jul 23, 2011, 08:48 AM
Van had a quad previously, sold it and bought a dual core 2.3ghz.

If the QFX 4500 and GF 7800GTX are one and the same why the link below says the latter is faster? The QFX is a work station card and the GF is a consumer card, if my understanding is right?

Got my 4GB RAM today from mail, installed and to my frustration it doesn't work. Was not recognized by system profiler. Guess this pair goes to trash.

VanneDC
Jul 23, 2011, 02:31 PM
Namci your right mate, the clocks do differ, but the 7800gtx was never offered by apple and is a modded bios based off a mixture of the 7800gt and THE quadro. This 7800gtx rom isn't available anywhere as I searched around a year ago for it when I had a quadro in my quad.

I think it may even b an urban legend ;)

Hehe at any rate the fx4500 and the gtx7800 are exactly the same card, but just the rom differs and thus different clock and mem speeds.

I'd still love to get my hands-on that 7800gtx rom and flash it to the fx4500, but can't see it ever turning up.

Also there are quite a few quadro cards on eBay, but hardly any 7800gtx's.

Oh and don't be confused about the 7900gtx as it's a complete different core even though the card looks the same :)

Nameci
Jul 23, 2011, 05:02 PM
I had a bad experience with my ATI x1900 bought from the bay. It never had a video output although the fan is working no LED indicators on the board. A hard lesson for me, I have taken the risk.

So I was apprehensive about buying a flashed card with 7800GTX. I have my sights locked on a QFX 4500. It is claimed to be original taken out from a working PMQ 2.5. The price is stiff, but hey it doesn't matter to a hobbyist and collector.

I am now running Final Cut on it for learning, Adobe CS4, and CAD softwares both elex and mechanical. I think anti-aliasing with QFX would help me a lot. I don't play games on the computer. I am already too old for it.

VanneDC
Jul 23, 2011, 06:56 PM
mate, the fx4500 should be pretty cheap now adays anyways... i just got mine for just under 80 aus and 20 bucks shipping to Un-Zed. :)
easy to flash mate, ive done 2 already, you just need a x86 mobo with pcie slot available and a dos disk.. very easy..

Pm me if you wantt help with flashing a card mate as if you grab a mac fx4500, i can only shudder to think how much that would be :)

cheers

Nameci
Jul 23, 2011, 07:07 PM
What would I need?

1. PC pcie power cable
2. PCie slot on a pc
3. boot disk, a usb thumb drive should work, am i right?
4. a pc QFX 4500
5. QFX 4500 rom

VanneDC
Jul 23, 2011, 07:24 PM
Spot on mAte, that's all u need.

Nameci
Jul 23, 2011, 07:29 PM
The hardest part is the PC... I don't have a pc... :D

VanneDC
Jul 23, 2011, 08:42 PM
noted mate, maybe you can borrow one for a couple of hours? :)

Nameci
Jul 23, 2011, 08:58 PM
Thanks mate, I will send you pm once I found a good deal for the QFX 4500 and got myself a hold of a working windows box.

Nameci
Jul 29, 2011, 01:47 PM
Just an update, got myself a cheap SSD identical to my previous SSD, replaced my HDD on the bottom slot and did a software Raid0. I don't have a gauge how fast it is since I have lost my former bench mark results, but it seems that it made the system slower.

I have also bought a 1TB External Drive with quad interface for TM and data disk. It is now connected to FW800. Would it be better if I use eSATA instead?

ljonesj
Jul 29, 2011, 09:47 PM
nice machine you have there and yea i can understand the want of a powerpc mac i have a 700 mhz g4 imac lampshade model that i am using for some of my older blizzard games that run to fast on my windows and newer macbookpro 13 mid 2010 and late 09 mac mini that are running lion still cant get diablo one to work and my win 7 machine is to much for the game as u run to fast in the game so i am pulling out an old dell 800 mhz p3 and installing win xp to play that one lol i have way to many computers

Nameci
Jul 31, 2011, 11:53 AM
Xbench result with 2 x 60gb SSD on Software RAID0;

Results 136.17
System Info
Xbench Version 1.3
System Version 10.5.8 (9L31a)
Physical RAM 8704 MB
Model PowerMac11,2
Processor PowerPC G5x2 @ 2.30 GHz
L1 Cache 64K (instruction), 32K (data)
L2 Cache 1024K @ 2.30 GHz
Bus Frequency 1 GHz
Drive Type MacSSD RAid0
CPU Test 137.51
GCD Loop 105.01 5.54 Mops/sec
Floating Point Basic 152.89 3.63 Gflop/sec
AltiVec Basic 299.50 11.94 Gflop/sec
vecLib FFT 117.89 3.89 Gflop/sec
Floating Point Library 117.96 20.54 Mops/sec
Thread Test 100.36
Computation 116.16 2.35 Mops/sec, 4 threads
Lock Contention 88.33 3.80 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads
Memory Test 147.58
System 154.16
Allocate 215.24 790.42 Kalloc/sec
Fill 216.67 10534.81 MB/sec
Copy 98.05 2025.17 MB/sec
Stream 141.53
Copy 140.37 2899.37 MB/sec [G5]
Scale 137.67 2844.20 MB/sec [G5]
Add 143.19 3050.31 MB/sec [G5]
Triad 145.11 3104.35 MB/sec [G5]
Quartz Graphics Test 155.73
Line 125.46 8.35 Klines/sec [50% alpha]
Rectangle 148.47 44.33 Krects/sec [50% alpha]
Circle 132.55 10.80 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]
Bezier 138.77 3.50 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]
Text 377.32 23.60 Kchars/sec
OpenGL Graphics Test 97.50
Spinning Squares 97.50 123.68 frames/sec
User Interface Test 139.08
Elements 139.08 638.30 refresh/sec
Disk Test 283.55
Sequential 183.52
Uncached Write 301.70 185.24 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 275.25 155.74 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 83.20 24.35 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 353.45 177.64 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Random 623.30
Uncached Write 352.05 37.27 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 482.08 154.33 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 2307.30 16.35 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 935.34 173.56 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Nameci
Aug 5, 2011, 02:47 PM
Update...

Apple airport runway card came in today. Put my spare PBook Airport extreme card in it. Pulled out BT USB dongle.

Voila! BT and AX working natively. The powermac can now wake up from sleep with the magic mouse and wireless keyboard. Sweet!

csiguy
Aug 5, 2011, 04:12 PM
I'd pass on a velociraptor, they're pretty noisy and hot.

This is false information.
I recommend at least reading some reviews to get the facts straight before posting.

Hot may have been true of the Raptor drives, but not (http://www.anandtech.com/show/2508/4) of the Velociraptor.
I have VR 300GB drives (or SSDs) as boot drives in almost all of my systems, including my Mac. The VR temperatures are within 1C of my WD Green drives.

Regarding noise (http://www.anandtech.com/show/2508/4), they are typically no louder than many of my other WD Blue and Black drives, except during high-random seek periods where they are marginally louder.

And regarding the performance difference, a VR 300 or VR 600 will outperform even a WD Black 1TB overall due to the higher IO (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/16043-western-digital-caviar-black-1tb-hard-drive-review-10.html) and lower seek (thanks to 10k RPM).
I noticed a measurable performance increase for IO and seek, 4K and large files when I upgraded my systems to VR's. And even moreso when upgrading the slow 250GB drive in my Mac G5.
SSD is of course faster, but you can get VR 300GB drives for considerably less than 320GB SSDs.

VanneDC
Aug 5, 2011, 04:24 PM
Update...

Apple airport runway card came in today. Put my spare PBook Airport extreme card in it. Pulled out BT USB dongle.

Voila! BT and AX working natively. The powermac can now wake up from sleep with the magic mouse and wireless keyboard. Sweet!

Very nice mate, ---Jelous now--- :D

Nameci
Aug 5, 2011, 10:30 PM
Very nice mate, ---Jelous now--- :D

Hehehehe, to make you more jealous;

Next on the list, PCIe eSATA card to drive my 1TB external with quad interface for data storage and time machine, 4 sticks more of 2 GB RAM, and the penultimate upgrade, the ever elusive QFX 4500.

I would like to pair it in the near future with a decent dv camera.

Man, this machine still kicks ass with the early core 2 duo's. Geekbench numbers might be lower, but it feels faster. Is it just me or is it true? I find it even more responsive than an early MP 1,1.

666sheep
Aug 6, 2011, 02:42 AM
OP, if I can suggest something, consider replacing these 2 cheap SSDs with one decent. Booting from SW RAID 0 with SSDs does not give much speed but decreases reliability :) Even choked with SATA 150 limit decent SSD should be better, and you'll get one SATA port for storage.

Tucom
Aug 6, 2011, 11:07 AM
Man, this machine still kicks ass with the early core 2 duo's. Geekbench numbers might be lower, but it feels faster. Is it just me or is it true? I find it even more responsive than an early MP 1,1.

Yeah I've got my Dual Core 2.3 running with 7Gbs of RAM and it feels just as if not more snappy than my Core 2 Duo Mini w/ 3GBs of (slightly faster) RAM.

These G5's are still work horses and there's still very useable software for them. In fact, there's even current PowerPC software being released!

Serato Scratch LIVE - Still PPC, amazing, and one of the best turntablist/DJ low-latency Digital Vinyl Systems out there, and I use it for my $1,200 Technics DJ battle setup, thus, quite nice to have a PPC version for the expensive hardware :D

Cinema 4D - seems to be excellent rendering software, still PPC support (IIRC)

blender - still PPC support

Lightwave - still PPC support (IIRC)

Mixxx - Still PPC support

....just to name a few

And then there's using the older versions of Apple software that still isn't that far off from current versions, like iLife '09 vs 11 etc.

And then there's the fact too that Apple still supports PPC with software and OS X Leopard updates for the OS, Safari, iTunes, and all that.

Nameci
Aug 6, 2011, 11:27 AM
I agree, this machine is more than enough for my web browsing... :d

barkmonster
Aug 7, 2011, 07:36 AM
I plan on getting exactly that model as a tie over between my Dual 800Mhz G4 and an intel Mac Mini.

I added a SATA 1.5 card and 750Gb Western Digital Caviar Black to my G4 partitioned 90Gb system, the rest for storage and put my iTunes library on the storage partition. It virtually halved booting and app launching times over the drive it replaced.

I use my G4 for Protools LE which even now takes an age to load it's huge score library, iTunes is a beast to open too so when I get a G5, I'm going to use the first partition of the Caviar Black as a recording drive and add an OCZ Vertex 2 SSD as the boot drive.

G5s still only have SATA 1.5 but because that particular model has PCIe slots like the original Mac Pro that replaced them, there's an ACER sata 3 card that's compatible with PCIe based Macs:-

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1053587&page=2

It's not bootable and only the internal ports work but add that with a G5 Jive and a Vertex 3 SATA III SSD (or 2 in a RAID 0 config) and you'd have a hell of a scratch volume if you use photoshop! You could even use 2 SSDs with the onboard SATA in a RAID 0 to boot from and use the G5 Jive and a SATA card to add an ordinary hard drive for general storage and second one for back up.

Tucom
Aug 7, 2011, 09:14 AM
barkmonster, actually the drive I think would be epic for a G5 would be the VelociRaptors by Western Digital: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FBH0HE/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001AQWLTQ&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0AFMKCXPHKK7Q3YZ2JR0

They incredibly well engineered - SERVER GRADE - 10,000RPM SATA II (now III) drives that hit just right around the peak of the SATA 150 interface in the G5's, offer more GB per dollar than SSDs, have a 5 year warranty, and in RAID 0 bootable would probably offer around a 300MB/s solid through put (seriously, these drives are faster than some older SSD's).

Or..then again...SSDs coming down in price would be an even better option IMO, but these VelociRaptors are pretty sweet drives.

Tucom
Aug 7, 2011, 09:28 AM
Just found these: http://www.computerforum.com/188978-spinpoint-f4-omg.html

Now, I've been using a Samsung SpinPoint drive in my Dell XPS 400 for about 6 months and it the QUIETEST, FASTEST, and just most SUPERB HDD I've ever used, and forgot all about the newer models.

This thing, while not even remotely close to SSD's for seek time (which is what matters the most), it still has near SATA-150 early-SSD performance/VelociRaptor performnace, be nearly silent, and, look at the price :cool:

Think I just found one of the best/fastest mechanical drives out there that has yet to be beat.

Nameci
Aug 7, 2011, 10:53 AM
I have opted for the SSD on S/W Raid0 for a couple of reasons; first I already have the first one and I have bought the other one cheap. Second, noise and temperature. SSD's operate cooler than spinning mechanical drives afaik.

I don't worry much about booting time, since the machine is most of the time always on and just sleeps. But loading times for apps takes more time on mechanical drives than on SSD's.

So far my setup has been stable enough. I have an external on FW800 for TM and data which later on will transfer to eSATA. The previous eSATA card that I got did screw up my ethernet. If eSATA card is installed, ethernet will not connect to the network. Seems there is a conflict on the PCIe bus. But read and write speeds via eSATA was a huge improvement from the FW800. External on USB is a shame, imho.

MacSince1990
Aug 7, 2011, 12:44 PM
I'd pass on a velociraptor, they're pretty noisy and hot. A good 7200 RPM HDD should be fine, and a soft RAID will make it faster with another drive or 2.

Soft RAID performance is actually pretty dismal... I'd stay away from it. Check out Barefeats if you want confirmation.

VanneDC
Aug 7, 2011, 05:05 PM
Mate, thats really starting to look like a nice little box mate. and yeah drooling more and more... SSD... I cant do it, luckily enough i have a SSD in my macpro, but dont think the missus would let me shoot for another SSD.. :)

any luck yet with finding a pcie mobo to do the rom swap on the fx4500?

cheers

Nameci
Aug 7, 2011, 06:14 PM
still saving up for the qfx 4500, it will come soon... :D

it's pretty weird, there is this urge for me to get a Quad but instead I went for the dual core. I was a bit apprehensive about the LCS that comes with the quad maintenance wise. It is nice to have something to tinker on the weekends...

VanneDC
Aug 7, 2011, 06:34 PM
The quads are fine, as long as when u get it check the lcs, if it's on the way out, just fix it, lots of guides on the web for replacement o rings and tubing. I recon they have a much worse rap than they should have. It's mostly because peeps don't Check the lcs and continue to run it when it's leaking. General maintenance I call it.

That said, I do just turn my dc pm on without ever checking anything. Lack of maintenance requirements I call it.

There both fine boxes. The quad was a lot quieter though. :D

Nameci
Aug 7, 2011, 06:45 PM
The quad was a lot quieter though.

That makes me think of getting one, more prodding... :D

Nameci
Aug 7, 2011, 11:25 PM
I have an issue that has just popped recently. Right after I have replaced the iogear BT dongle with an apple AE+BT combo, my mouse pointer movement seems to stutter and jerky.

I have searched the forums and it leads me to believe that it is caused by insufficient radio signal for the BT. Battery level indicates still more than half of the capacity for the MM.

There are two wires connected to the antenna, would it be that the antenna is causing it? Will swapping the two wires improve radio reception?

Guess will have to try... wish me luck.

Update: Swapped the wires, improved a little on the range and is useable on any location all across the desk. Guess those were two separate cables for the AE and the BT?

VanneDC
Aug 8, 2011, 01:03 AM
Nameci, i used to use my Quad for Vid encoding and playing games pretty much. Vid encoding was great on it, however held absolutely no candle to the Macpro 1,1 i updated to after selling the Quad.

As CPU power for me isnt really that important, (currently ripping Inception) to my drive on my DCPM, ill have it running in the background. This rip took about 5 hours to complete, so to me it neither matter much if its running in the background. (i could use ffmpeg and complete the rip in excellent quality in about 30 mins)

The real reason i didn't keep the Quad was due to Power use. Its a hungry beast and most of my stuff on the PPC side of things is just cruising mac rumors and general internetting. So as i said, its not about the cpu power for me. Most of the games i play on the PPC could run from my 1.25ghz Imac G4. But i gotta admit, having the extra eye candy on Kotor and Wolf/quake3 is nice. :)

The Quad, loved it, Didnt love the power bill. :)

Glad to hear you got the BT sorted out mate, ive heard before that the wires can be swapped.. :)

Nameci
Aug 8, 2011, 01:21 AM
Good for me I am not paying the bills, my employers are... hehehehe :D

Although I really wanted a quad I am hesitant not because of the energy requirement but rather the maintainability of the LCS.

And besides this 2.3DC serves me well. The more that i use it everyday, the more I am confident that I would know how to fix it if there will be issues.

I have not encountered any issues that is worth to worry about so far...

barkmonster
Aug 9, 2011, 04:01 PM
barkmonster, actually the drive I think would be epic for a G5 would be the VelociRaptors by Western Digital: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FBH0HE/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001AQWLTQ&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0AFMKCXPHKK7Q3YZ2JR0

They incredibly well engineered - SERVER GRADE - 10,000RPM SATA II (now III) drives that hit just right around the peak of the SATA 150 interface in the G5's, offer more GB per dollar than SSDs, have a 5 year warranty, and in RAID 0 bootable would probably offer around a 300MB/s solid through put (seriously, these drives are faster than some older SSD's).

Or..then again...SSDs coming down in price would be an even better option IMO, but these VelociRaptors are pretty sweet drives.

I boot from an 80Gb partition with about 30Gb free and then store all my files on the larger partition of the Caviar Black so I'd be fine with a small SSD of 60Gb or even 2 40Gb drives in a RAID 0 config in one of the ICYDOCK adapters as my boot drive and then using my current boot partition on the Caviar as my recording drive.

SSDs are measured in IOPs and hard drives in MS. IOPs mean a lot more than simply a high Mb/s on sustained files making an SSD the perfect boot drive. Even raptors in a RAID 0 config don't even come close to the 150Mb/s mark and a single SSD can manage that with obvious IOP advantage too.

http://www.barefeats.com/hard63.html

Nameci
Aug 27, 2011, 01:13 AM
Update:

Bought a 2-port eSATA card and 8GB of RAM from OWC recently. Can't wait to be home and install it. Still more than a week to go on the field. :eek:

QFX 4500 is next...

Summary of upgrade/update parts and pheripherals;
2 x 64GB Generic SSD with SF1222 Controller on Software Raid 0 - Boot Drive
16 GB total of PC2 4200 Non ECC DDR2 RAM (Once the 8GB OWC memory is installed)
DAT Optic eSATA PCIe card (I still cannot find the reason I opted for this one over the Sonnet)
Buffalo DriveStation 1TB quad interface - USB/eSATA/FW400/FW800 (TM and Data Disk)
2 - 21.5" 1920x1080 Acer Monitor
Apple Aluminum Wireless keyboard
Apple Magic Mouse
Apple Airport and Bluetooth Card
Apple iSight

Tucom
Aug 27, 2011, 05:09 AM
Just wanted to share that due to the focus being on getting the most useability and power out of the Mac platform for me right now, I'm getting rid of and selling my 2.3Ghz G5, same model as Nameci's, and is in overall excellent condition.

If this is spam, remove, but given this thread is about these excellent dual core models, I'd thought I'd let anyone potentially looking for one know I've got one for sale. Thread in the Marketplace area, or PM for details.

--- Sorry, just a side note please? :o :cool:

Nameci
Aug 27, 2011, 08:26 PM
Update:

QFX 4500 is in the bag, be there in ATL by a week. Can't wait to be home. I'm excited. :D

VanneDC
Aug 27, 2011, 08:43 PM
Nice one mate :)
I am still looking for a damm PC with PCie slot to flash the bios...

Nameci
Aug 27, 2011, 08:45 PM
Do you have the card too?

VanneDC
Aug 27, 2011, 08:53 PM
yeah mate, have had it for over 2 months.. Drak!!! just gotta ask someone nicely if they will let me pull their PC apart and letting me shove this monster in there for a couple o minutes....

what one did you get? authentic apple one or a PC one that you gotta flash? the one i got was a PC one, but had the extended PCB. so its exactly the same as the mac one, just gotta flash it.

the FX4500 i had in my Quad was a PC card, but not the extended length PCB, it was just the same size as the 7800GTX512...

Nameci
Aug 27, 2011, 09:21 PM
The one with the extended PCB, and the seller says it is authentic apple card.

VanneDC
Aug 27, 2011, 10:42 PM
Nice!! *jelous* again!!! When do you get it?

Nameci
Aug 27, 2011, 11:06 PM
I will get my hands on it end of next week. I am almost done with this project. Unless i will get two 30" cinema display, that would be awesome, but the used prices are still way beyond reason.

Probably this project will end with two 23" Cinema display i guess, if time and money permits and i am crazy enough, Lol... it is just fun, building it slowly...

Nameci
Sep 2, 2011, 10:10 PM
Update:

USPS and UPS tracking states that the QFX 4500, 8GB of RAM from OWC as well as the eSATA card has been delivered.

Can't wait to be in Atlanta. My flight is early in the morning tomorrow. I am so excited.

Will update for any improvements. Any suggestions about installing the gfx card? Will I need a driver for it?

Latest Update:

Installed the QFX 4500, installed the 8GB additional RAM, installed the PCIe eSATA Card.

Result:

Video is responsive. I got full 16GB of RAM. Got the eSata card to work, have installed the wrong driver initially, after the installation of the correct driver. It just works.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/SilverS3/Picture3.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/SilverS3/Picture4.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/SilverS3/Picture5.png

Nameci
Sep 21, 2011, 10:36 PM
Update, pulled out the twin 21.5" Acer monitor and replaced with a single Dell SX2210. This monitor is about the same size as the Acer as well as the resolution at 1920x1080. Bought it cheap from ebay almost new with wrapping plastic all over it. The stand is aluminum and the back is white plastic so it compliments the aluminum keyboard and magic mouse. It has built-in webcam and mic and 2 USB ports. The bezel is black and almost resembles an ACD.

Marcush1286
Sep 21, 2011, 11:49 PM
Nameci,

Question for you.. Have you tried to go beyond 16GB on the Dual Core 2.3? I know the Quad can accept also 4GB chips x 8 for a total of 32GB.. I was just wondering if you have a chance to re-evaluate your usage if you should need to go beyond 16GB. Also, what web browser is the best for the G5? Given the latest news on www.lowendmac.com about Apple no longer providing security updates to PowerPC macs running Leopard and intel macs running leopard, was wondering if safari is still worth the time and effort to use since so many loopholes in security have taken hold?

Have you read about the DigiNotar certificate problem? This is why I took my G5 Quad off line until someone can verify for me that I can still use my beloved G5 Quad and not worry about someone breaching my computer's security.

Nameci
Sep 22, 2011, 12:12 AM
Yes, a 32GB can be read in your "About this Mac" but only a max of 16GB will be addressed and used by the system. It is a hardware limit. And besides I don't need that much memory, with the current use that I have right now 16GB is way more than enough. I cannot use them all even with lots of apps running. I have maxed it out for bragging rights... lol.

For browser I am using Camino optimized for G5. It is lightweight and snappier compared to Safari which is a little bloated.

About the DigiNotar certificate, in my browser security it is set in such a way that it would ask me before that certificate is accepted. It is just a matter of how informed we are, I don't worry that much and be paranoid. I am not working in the Government. No password saved on keychains...

Marcush1286
Sep 22, 2011, 12:20 AM
Ok, so this is what I did. I deleted the whole entire certificate and any components it was associated with. My question then is can I still use Safari and be safe where no one would be able to log into my account or even see me go on line to my bank account? I used safari a lot for banking transactions as well as ebay.

If this is the case and everything is fine once I deleted those digiNotar certificates, then I am going to hook up again my G5 as I love that more than my mac pro.

Also, would you recommend since Apple is not providing any more security updates to Leopard, putting safari on PRIVATE BROWSING?

Nameci
Sep 22, 2011, 01:01 AM
When you delete it, it is gone. Don't be much paranoid, just be aware.

Marcush1286
Sep 22, 2011, 10:18 AM
Understood. Yeah, I went ahead and put back up my G5 and still using Safari 5.0.6 but this time with browsing set to PRIVATE.. that way no one will get my information.

Feels good to be back in the G5 lane!

When you delete it, it is gone. Don't be much paranoid, just be aware.

chrismacguy
Sep 23, 2011, 07:31 AM
Understood. Yeah, I went ahead and put back up my G5 and still using Safari 5.0.6 but this time with browsing set to PRIVATE.. that way no one will get my information.

Err Thats not what Private Browsing actually does. All it does is stop your browser from saving most data to your local disk. It wouldn't stop root certificate attacks or someone placing a machine between your computer and the server your connecting too. It also doesn't stop anything that wouldn't require access to your local machine (It also doesn't encrypt your web traffic or similar) - All Private does is stop your browser from saving your history and other cookies locally. It won't stop anything on the network from "watching" you.

Its not a cause to be paranoid, its just not something that needs to be done. Turning on Private Browsing doesn't make what you do online any more secure, or encrypted, it just stops your computer saving where you've been or adding cookies. Not really a "security" step.

Marcush1286
Sep 23, 2011, 11:33 AM
Apple told me something different about this, not saying you are wrong, but you might be right.

Err Thats not what Private Browsing actually does. All it does is stop your browser from saving most data to your local disk. It wouldn't stop root certificate attacks or someone placing a machine between your computer and the server your connecting too. It also doesn't stop anything that wouldn't require access to your local machine (It also doesn't encrypt your web traffic or similar) - All Private does is stop your browser from saving your history and other cookies locally. It won't stop anything on the network from "watching" you.

Its not a cause to be paranoid, its just not something that needs to be done. Turning on Private Browsing doesn't make what you do online any more secure, or encrypted, it just stops your computer saving where you've been or adding cookies. Not really a "security" step.

chrismacguy
Sep 23, 2011, 05:22 PM
Apple told me something different about this, not saying you are wrong, but you might be right.

What exactly did Apple "say about this", because what Ive posted is 100% correct. Safaris help agrees with me also. Nothing your browser does can ensure that there isn't someone at your ISP or somewhere else in the line stepping in between you and your target website. It also can't possibly stop root cert attacks. Don't you think if it could that Apple would have recommended everyone only use Private Browsing while they issue a fix, or surely they would've added the option directly into the Safari Codebase for normal browsing.

Whoever you spoke to at Apple more than likely either misunderstood the question, or is outright incorrect. The only thing Private Browsing stops is someone who has physical access to your local machine getting your internet history and cookies. It sure as heck doesn't stop someone outside of your local network, or even someone on it with a packet sniffer, because Private Browsing doesn't suddenly encrypt all web traffic, it just stops your Mac storing your data locally.

Nameci
Oct 15, 2011, 10:51 PM
Update.

Bought this...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/SilverS3/AV40.jpg

Sound really sweet!

Current setup as of latest;
Boot Drive : 2 x 60GB SSD S/W RAID0 (Generic)
Memory : 8 x 2GB (16GB Total)
Gfx Card : NVidia Quadro FX4500
Display : Dell SX2210 21.5" 1080p with Integrated Webcam and Mic and USB Ports
Wireless : Apple Airport Extreme + Bluetooth
Keyboard : Apple Aluminum Wireless Keyboard
Mouse : Apple magic Mouse
External and TM : Bufallo Drive Station 1TB on eSATA
Expansion Card : DAT Optic 2P eSATA card
Speakers : M-Audio AV40
Printer : HP Laserjet P1102w thru Wifi

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/SilverS3/SAM_0165.jpg

Tucom
Oct 15, 2011, 10:59 PM
Update.

Bought this...

Image (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/SilverS3/AV40.jpg)

Sound really sweet!

Nice score and smart choice going with studio monitors! Bose makes some excellent audio companions, as well - especially their Companion 3 Series II, Companion 5, and MicroMusicMonitors. M-Audio ALSO makes some killer gear - and those'll sound loads better than any "computer speakers" out there - sans the really high end ones that would be better to still get studio monitors or Bose speakers (I know, Bose, but their computer stuff is phenomenal to say the least) in place of.

STILL rocking the dual core G5, eh? I recently traded mine for a huge PS3 bundle - kind of regretted it, but was ultimately the forward thinking and best solution at the time, as now I'm mainly console gaming and using a Core 2 Duo Mini for all computing needs :o :)

Still, glad to see PPC supporters aren't extinct :D :cool:

Nameci
Oct 15, 2011, 11:12 PM
A little out of my topic, yes and recently added a 12" 1.33GHz iBook to my collection.

PPC macs are still much alive. This is my work horse computer for casual graphic design, CAD (electronics and mechanical), documents... and almost everything if I am on my workshop. It is a powerbook 15" if I am travelling. I still cannot justify for an Intel Mac until now, they are still working and working great. Not yet past their prime I guess.

Tucom
Oct 15, 2011, 11:20 PM
Nice, very slick setup! Mind posting a bigger, more detailed pic and I suggest posting over in the "Post Your Setup Past and Present" thread over in the Picture section, too :D

vohdoun
Oct 16, 2011, 07:13 AM

Feels good to be back in the G5 lane!

I assume you use the Google service under Safari preferences? (Warn when visiting a fraudulent website)

Uncheck, "Allow websites to ask for location information"

Since mostly everything has been abandoned including Adobe Reader, uncheck "Enable plug-ins"
Manually download and view your PDF's etc. This will also disable anything to do with Quicktime items embedded into websites.

I assume you already have Safari cookies set to "Only from sites I visit"

Uninstall Flash player since it'll never be updated. http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/909/cpsid_90906.html#main_10.4
This is what I have done and get the Safari extension ClickToFlash for everything you need for HTML5.
(Safari may crash when updating to ClickToFlash 2.5+ on 32-bit Macs. If that happens, re-install version 2.4.1, uninstall it, and then install the latest version.)

Recommended Safari extensions to ease your mind in privacy.

AdBlock
FacebookBlocker
JavaScript Blacklist
WOT
Ghostery
Ultimate Status Bar
Dr.Web Link Checker

https://extensions.apple.com/

Should you wish, set your RSS to Mail.

thorns
Oct 16, 2011, 10:25 AM
Hey Nameci, would you mind doing some benchmarks? ioquake3, ut2004 to name a few. I am curious if the 2.3GHz DC is fast enough to deliver data to the FX4500. I have only seen benchmark results of Quad G5/FX4500/7800GT combinations...

Nameci
Oct 16, 2011, 11:27 AM
I don't have those since I don't do gaming on my powermac. Would you mind pointing me to the direction where I can find resources for those?