Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boatsandstars

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
Hi, first post here. I'm sorry if this has been discussed in length, but I couldn't find an answer through the search.

I am running 2 seperate G4s (G4 Tower, 17" G4 Powerbook) with a 17" studio monitor on the tower.

I am tied to keeping my G4 Tower instead of selling it, and I would like to use the computer together (NOT running two monitors from ONE cpu).

What programs can I get that allows me to run a mouse/keyboard to two computers at the same time. I saw a kid in college do it a year ago with 4 G4s, dragging the cursor to the side of the screen, and onto the next monitor.

No adapters where used, I assume it was a software program that, used in conjuction with networked computers, allowed him to do this.

So, if someone could help me out, I'd appreciate it.
Also, is it possible to drag one window to the other monitor, cut/paste, etc...?

Again, a quick rundown:

17" Powerbook G4 and a G4 Tower
1 Bluetooth Keyboard/Mouse

Want to be able to access both monitors/hard disks with keyboard/mouse.

Thanks.

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2004
When using PC's and Windows... yes... http://www.maxivista.com will do it for you, software if the systems are networked, will make both systems connect together and provide a dual monitor setup...

It is not available for Mac systems, and I do not belive one exists either.

KVM is a Keyboard Video Mouse switch, but that would just allow you to use one keyboard/mouse on one system at a time; with one screen.

EDIT: After further thinking, all he did was one G4 was setup to power all 4 screens... he then was running VNC or Apples Remote Desktop on the other systems to each screen... so from the host system, youd see all 4 screens (3 coming off a remote desktop), when you drug your mouse to the next screen, you essentualy got the next computer.

Did that a while back with a pc... one screen ran windows, the other ran osx.

Tech^salvager

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2005
Portland, TX
andrebsd said:
KVM is a Keyboard Video Mouse switch, but that would just allow you to use one keyboard/mouse on one system at a time; with one screen.
no
if its only hooked up to the keyboard and mouse he can have seperate monitors.

A KVM swtich is a Keyboard, Video, and Mouse switch. Its basicly used for multiple computers but with only one monitor, keyboard, and mouse for all the coputers hooked onto it.

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2004
Tech^salvager said:
no
if its only hooked up to the keyboard and mouse he can have seperate monitors.

A KVM swtich is a Keyboard, Video, and Mouse switch. Its basicly used for multiple computers but with only one monitor, keyboard, and mouse for all the coputers hooked onto it.

Yeah... but he was asking how to make it so he can drag his mouse from one screen to the other and get the next system... So my point was a KVM switch wouldnt work.

It's not like im gonna sit here and say... well you can have two keyboards... then use the KVM for only the video and mouse.... or use the kvm for video and keyboard but still have two mice.

It's called KVM for a reason... So i'll state the intended purpose, not nessisarily every possible combination of what can be done with the hardware. Especially if it would be completely useless information for the question at hand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.