PDA

View Full Version : Free avi to mpeg converter?

acedickson
Mar 20, 2005, 03:07 AM
I'm looking for a program to convert avi files to mpeg. The videos are very choppy when tr ying to view on the computer. I want to convert, and then burn them, so I can watch them.

Versiontracker turned up alot of software that can do it, but I'm broke right now. I need a free solution.

evil_santa
Mar 20, 2005, 05:14 AM
I'm looking for a program to convert avi files to mpeg. The videos are very choppy when tr ying to view on the computer. I want to convert, and then burn them, so I can watch them.

Versiontracker turned up alot of software that can do it, but I'm broke right now. I need a free solution.

You will be wanting to convert them to mpeg1 if you are playing them on a 300mhz G3 as in you sig. The only free mpeg1 converter i know off is Movie2mpg the software give the link http://www.win.ne.jp/~juan/ but its not working right now. If you want the file on cd you could use toast and burn them as VCD, VCDs are mpg1.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Mar 20, 2005, 05:26 AM
You can always try DivX Doctor II, also...

...just do a search, I'm feeling to lazy to do it now... ;)

mad jew
Mar 20, 2005, 05:47 AM
I haven't used it much but heres a link to that doctor program Mitthrawnuruodo mentioned. It looks pretty cool.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14266

Enjoy :)

MisterMe
Mar 20, 2005, 09:11 AM

Versiontracker turned up alot of software that can do it, but I'm broke right now. I need a free solution.I don't get why you want to convert the .avi files. If you install the DivX and 3ivx QuickTime codecs, you can play them in any QuickTime-compatible application as is.

abhishekit
Mar 20, 2005, 10:56 AM
use ffmpegx. Its free and you can convert a variety of sources to a variety of formats.

cheers