Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crushedlizard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
HI,

I just installed an SSD. It crashed during 10.5 install* so I had to hard reset (hold power).

I reset the PRAM but now just get a white screen, no apple logo or chime.

the ONLY command I can get to work so far is the PRAM (cmd + option + P + R). I've tried pretty much every combo I can find (cmd +S, c, option etc etc). I can't even eject the DVD (by holding trackpad)!

Any ideas? It boots no problem if I replace the old HDD. But if the SSD is in there, then that's it. Nothing.

I want to boot from the DVD and try the install again.

Thanks!

*It's a late 2009 13" - so came with 10.5. I'm using the original disc.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
Did you try pluggin the SSD in some desktop PC and put it back to factory settings or maybe run some tests if it works there.
It doesn't really make sense that you can boot from DVD when the HDD is in there but not when the SSD is. Just earse it again and this issue should be gone.

crushedlizard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
Thanks. I've put the SSD in a USB caddy but it doesn't even show up under Disk Utilities. So I can't reformat it etc.

Is there any other way to get it to be recognised? It had no trouble the first time round. But because leopard crashed it seems to have buggered it!

Thanks

crushedlizard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
OK, looks like the drive is dead.

A replacement is on the way. 5 minutes... pretty good lifespan eh! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.