PDA

View Full Version : Widespread Outages Reported for Apple's iOS and Mac App Stores and iTunes Store

MacRumors
Jun 2, 2011, 01:52 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/02/widespread-outages-reported-for-apples-ios-and-mac-app-stores-and-itunes-store/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/itunes_download_errors.jpg

A flood of MacRumors readers have reported in saying that they are having difficulties downloading content from Apple's online download stores, including the App Stores for both iOS and Mac OS X as well as iTunes Store content. The issues appear to be widespread although not universal, as others have reported that they are having no problems downloading content.

The reason for the downtime is not currently known, although speculation has of course centered around potential preparations for Apple's new iCloud service set to be introduced on Monday at the company's Worldwide Developers Conference. Such preparations could involve the company shifting content around such as to its North Carolina data center, moves that could result in some issues with access to the content. Alternatively, Apple could simply be experiencing some sort of network problems unrelated to new product and service launches.

Article Link: Widespread Outages Reported for Apple's iOS and Mac App Stores and iTunes Store (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/02/widespread-outages-reported-for-apples-ios-and-mac-app-stores-and-itunes-store/)

ImNoSuperMan
Jun 2, 2011, 01:53 PM
PSN is up and AppStore is down. What the heck is going on? Is it 2012 already?

diamond.g
Jun 2, 2011, 01:53 PM
No issues on my iPhone...

benhollberg
Jun 2, 2011, 01:55 PM
It is working for me on my iPhone.

Epic Xbox Revie
Jun 2, 2011, 01:55 PM
I can't download anything on my iPhone, iPad 2, or MBP.. Something awesome hopefully...:apple:

ivladster
Jun 2, 2011, 01:56 PM
The new datacenter is online and Apple is transferring Terabytes of data back and forth I guess.

BC2009
Jun 2, 2011, 01:57 PM
I hit this earlier today as well.

Xero910
Jun 2, 2011, 01:57 PM
They are probably switching the iTunes Store so it runs off the new data center. Likely doing it ahead of the announcement in preparation. Can't see them wanting to repeat that whole MobileMe fiasco.

ratzzo
Jun 2, 2011, 01:58 PM
Working here. At most I guess the downtime could be like what, 2h? not something lifechanging :p

dwd3885
Jun 2, 2011, 01:59 PM
this is funny in many ways..

1. People happy the store is down because that means Apple is working on something. Of course it's not Apple's fault.

2. Apple's iTunes Stores are down and this leads to a rock solid iCloud!

ChazUK
It is working for me on my iPhone.

Have you tried downloading something? I can browse fine but nothing will install.

colmaclean
I was just in the Glasgow store hoping to take advantage of the speedy wifi to download some big app updates for my iPad.

Nada download - pah!

macnews
Jun 2, 2011, 02:00 PM
I was at the Apple store purchasing a new iPad and the store rep told me it was down for everyone.

BeSweeet
Jun 2, 2011, 02:02 PM
Still down for me.

Max E Verde
Jun 2, 2011, 02:04 PM
All 3 stores down on my iPad and iPhone. Mac App Store down as well. iTunes for Mac is working though and I just was able to update apps on it.

About an hour ago I bought a book on my iPad and it downloaded successfully, and then tried to download it on my iPhone. After about 10 tries where it would just disappear from the books screen I logged out and could not log back in to iBooks, iTunes or the App Store or through the Store settings. Then I logged out on my iPad and could not log back in.

HobeSoundDarryl
Jun 2, 2011, 02:04 PM
The new datacenter is online and Apple is transferring Terabytes of data back and forth I guess.

Hopefully not through the 3G data plans offered to us consumers. I don't think Apple has enough cash on hand to cover that.;)

diamond.g
Jun 2, 2011, 02:05 PM
Odd, it was working fine earlier, now everything I try downloading just doesn't download...

Blackforge
Jun 2, 2011, 02:05 PM
Just updated 17 apps with no problems on my iPad 2. Just a little slower than usual.

notabadname
Jun 2, 2011, 02:10 PM
Affecting me too. Haven't been able to load updates via iTunes, iPad or iPhone for two hours now. Gives the error 5002 code. I can't even access my account via iTunes (such as to check billing info) even though iTunes recognizes my account in iTunes with my Apple ID displayed in the upper right corner. But if I select it and enter my password, it gives me the same 5002 error as I get when trying to download updates or make a purchase.

drummer914
Jun 2, 2011, 02:11 PM
I fixed it by moving all my apps to my external drive, deleted them out of itunes, reopened itunes and copied all of them back in.

daneoni
Jun 2, 2011, 02:13 PM
Probably back-end re-wiring going on for iCloud.

Dr Mick
Jun 2, 2011, 02:15 PM
I wanted Jennifer Lopez and iTunes would not give her to me
:(

notabadname
Jun 2, 2011, 02:16 PM
Just came back on line with no error for me. No "fix" required. Finally getting my 17 updates after 2 hours of attempts.

spillproof
Jun 2, 2011, 02:17 PM
It's Mdinstall.pkg! It's in the system! Skynet must be stopped!

No problems on iPhone in Florida, US.

ten-oak-druid
Jun 2, 2011, 02:19 PM
Yesterday for about an hour there was difficulty signing into mobileme.

Signing in would take you straight to "find my iphone". Then going to account it would ask to reenter the password. It would then stall out and reload the find my iphone page.

About an hour later it was smooth going between pages in mobileme though.

Max E Verde
Jun 2, 2011, 02:19 PM
Just came back on line with no error for me. No "fix" required. Finally getting my 17 updates after 2 hours of attempts.

Same here. Just redownloaded my book on my iPhone and updated Twitter on my Mac.

ogee
Jun 2, 2011, 02:20 PM
Maybe they got a MacDefender malware infection :D

Bilbo63
Jun 2, 2011, 02:21 PM
Wasn't working for me about an hour ago on my iPad, but it is now.

Jun 2, 2011, 02:21 PM
One should imagine that they could switch to the new datacenter without any outages ....

mac9000
Jun 2, 2011, 02:26 PM
I tried to buy Enigmo on the iPod Touch, and it failed. :(
But it worked on the computer.

andiwm2003
Jun 2, 2011, 02:28 PM
Hopefully not through the 3G data plans offered to us consumers. I don't think Apple has enough cash on hand to cover that.;)

what are you talking about?:confused: it's $30 for data per month. are you saying apple can't afford $30? it just may take a century but it will be cheap.....

JTToft
Jun 2, 2011, 02:28 PM
I couldn't download updates for apps on my iPhone a couple of hours ago. Works now.

Located in Denmark, Europe.

Jun 2, 2011, 02:31 PM
it's clear: please try again LATER! :D

rjohnstone
Jun 2, 2011, 02:33 PM
All of you saying this is probably in prep for iCloud should be pissed if this is the case.
If this is how Apple "preps" for a major launch, they need to fire the project managers and tech team now.
Pre-production launch activities should NEVER impact live systems... ever.

Taking a page offline for a few minutes is Apple's typical MO when they are ready to put new products in the online store, but we all know when it's going to happen.

I suspect they are having deeper issues unrelated to the iCloud launch, or they have an incompetent team doing migrations.

coder12
Jun 2, 2011, 02:39 PM
... this just had to happen right in the middle of our teacher iTunes training session! :D

HobeSoundDarryl
Jun 2, 2011, 02:51 PM
what are you talking about?:confused: it's $30 for data per month. are you saying apple can't afford $30? it just may take a century but it will be cheap.....

No, the comment to which I replied was about moving all of the iTunes content to the NC servers. I made a joke about hoping that Apple wasn't having to pay the AT&T or Verizon broadband rate for moving all of that data (because I doubt Apple has enough cash to cover the move if they have to pay what we pay for each 2GB).

Just a joke though. I'm sure that Apple isn't using 3G for the migration. I'm mostly poking fun at the lunacy of 2GB costing $25 or $30 and lots of people being so excited about wanting to push everything they have to the iCloud and stream everything from there. ONE iTunes movie can exceed 2GB.

The concept of iCloud works a little better with current home broadband limits often at about $30-$60/month for caps (currently at around 250GB). But of course, if you're at home, you already can stream all your media via wifi and not even involve an iCloud or a Comcast, AT&T, etc.

Regardless, I have ZERO expectations that 250GB home broadband for about $45/month will stay there as streaming demands go up. I expect those 250GB caps to work their way down and that $45/month to work its way up. Why? That's very profitable for the broadband gatekeepers with no local competition (who you going to switch to?). The alternative is keeping the price and caps about the same but building out lots of additional infrastructure to handle growing demand (that's tremendously unprofitable). Which do you think the likes of AT&T, Comcast, Verizon, etc will choose?

andiwm2003
Jun 2, 2011, 02:56 PM
No, the comment to which I replied was about moving all of the iTunes content to the NC servers. I made a joke about hoping that Apple wasn't having to pay the AT&T or Verizon broadband rate for moving all of that data (because I doubt Apple has enough cash to cover the move if they have to pay what we pay for each 2GB).

Just a joke though. I'm sure that Apple isn't using 3G for the migration.

i was joking as well. of course apple is not using 3g. i would assume they even transfer several physical hard drives instead of sending the data.

however I still don't understand why it should be more expensive to use 3g. it's $30 per month not more. just slow. very sloooooow.

HobeSoundDarryl
Jun 2, 2011, 03:02 PM
however I still don't understand why it should be more expensive to use 3g. it's $30 per month not more. just slow. very sloooooow.

It's $30/month for up to 2GB, not $30/month for unlimited GB. If you use the 2GB in 1 hour (say for streaming as little as 1 movie from iTunes), you have to pay more for another 2GB.

Or are you joking again? Or maybe one of the few still grandfathered in the unlimited 3G plan that lasted about 3 weeks when the first iPad launched?

sochet
Jun 2, 2011, 03:03 PM
Dammit, I'm restoring my iPad because I thought it was corrupted! I've been waiting for 45 for nothing :rolleyes:

PeterQVenkman
Jun 2, 2011, 03:14 PM
It's the PSN hackerz.

peacenfunk
Jun 2, 2011, 03:54 PM
It's the PSN hackerz.

Lets hope not. Got apps that need updating.

dacreativeguy
Jun 2, 2011, 04:17 PM
Mobileme performance has been really crappy the past few weeks too. My mobileme account in ical deletes itself often and on several different machines. Very annoying. Wondering if Apple will give me a credit for being affected by their system upgrades.

AtrBirkett
Jun 2, 2011, 04:20 PM
I could download an update (Twitter), but not several apps - they were all free mind you.

RalfTheDog
Jun 2, 2011, 05:05 PM

I have heard that the services are running however, due to a routing issue, all traffic into the data center is running through a tethered iPhone. This may cause some slowdown.

On the other hand, as a stock holder, I do recommend that everyone keep purchasing stuff as fast as they can to help check on the system.

twoodcc
Jun 2, 2011, 05:22 PM
Hopefully they are just getting ready for next week

SPEEDwithJJ
Jun 2, 2011, 05:38 PM
It's the PSN hackerz.

Won't ever happen. I doubt they're that smart & capable to be able to hack into the Apple servers. :p

koobcamuk
Jun 2, 2011, 05:57 PM
Won't ever happen. I doubt they're that smart & capable to be able to hack into the Apple servers. :p

Oh, I think they are.

LizKat
Jun 2, 2011, 06:13 PM
One should imagine that they could switch to the new datacenter without any outages ....

Yeah, right. :eek: Once I interviewed in Wall Street eight months after some merger of a couple of brokerage firms. To get to the tech interview I had to step over these thick cables snaking all over the floor, some of which then went out a window (we were on the 18th floor) and across a street to another building on a higher floor. The job was something about "oversight of completion of backoffice operations merge into system ready for migration to new datacenter next year."

Well I understood the pressure to get past the gig of cables hanging across a New York street: the new datacenter was in New Jersey.

But I was curious about prospects for work at the new datacenter after the (consulting) job to finish up the merge, so I asked about it. The guy smiled. He said "I'm sure there'll be plenty of work... have you ever done a datacenter migration? It's a flippin' goldmine for systems admin consultants. All the stuff anyone ever did wrong comes out of the woodwork, module by module by module, line by line by line, call by call by call. And that's after you get past the stuff like electrical overloads and circuits that won't stay closed and outlets in the wrong places and so forth."

Sure that was a long time ago. But on that score, I'd bet not much has changed.

SockRolid
Jun 2, 2011, 07:34 PM
Updated ~750MB of iPhoto 9.1.3 while everyone else was having problems.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused everyone else.

WissMAN
Jun 3, 2011, 12:25 AM
Is this still an issue? I didn't run into it at all today. Sorry for those that did.

michaelcyee
Jun 3, 2011, 12:29 AM

And...a month ago, did you think that Sony was utterly secure and inhackable?

caspersoong
Jun 4, 2011, 02:43 AM
Same here with me.

StevenL
Jun 6, 2011, 01:36 AM
I had the same problem in Denmark - iTunes Store, App store and Gamecenter all locked me out :o But after two resets of my password I was rolling again and I haven't received the error again.