Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JettJaguar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
I got an older white macbook, 2.2ghz, 4gb ram, 120gb SSD in the main slot and a 750gb HDD in the optical drive slot. I want to have OSX only on my SSD, mainly because I don't have enough room on it. I have OSX on my other HDD and I want to dual boot with windows. I used BootCamp to partition the drive so there was 300gb for windows. I put my install CD in an external optical drive, computer rebooted and freaked out. It automatically went to the light gray screen with dark gray apple symbol then the apple symbol flickered between a question mark, folder and back to the apple symbol randomly until I force restarted. Do you guys have any ideas on how to make this work? I wouldn't imagine its any harder than getting a macpro to dual boot on one drive, then have pure OSX on the main drive. I'd imagine a macbook air could utilize an external optical drive to install windows too, so I don't see an issue.

Think it would work if I removed the 2nd hard drive, installed it in the primary slot, installed boot camp windows then put it back into the optidrive slot? The goal is to get windows onto the hard drive partition, so it technically wouldn't matter what hard drive it was on since I would be OPTION starting to select the OS. (Not using boot camp as an app I mean)

Or do I need to use boot camp off my main hard drive? Perhaps I need to change the start up disk to the 2nd hard drive then use the 2nd hard drives "bootcamp" app? (It seems like it is confused on which hard drive made the boot camp command)

Edit: I forgot to mention, I would prefer to use a work around that does not involve opening the computer. The ribbon cable that connects the keyboard to the logic board is on its last leg and I don't feel like shelling out $10 for another one!

Thanks guys

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.