PDA

View Full Version : iMac vs eMac

Goftrey
Jun 2, 2011, 06:26 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Hey guys, I've been looking around for a new PPC as you may know. I've kinda wandered away from the iBooks and PowerBooks and have been amazed at how reasonably priced the iMacs and eMacs are... (suits me to the ground) so, are the worth it? I seen an iMac G4 (1.25ghz, 1gb ram, OS Leopard) go for 50 ($80 across the pond), also an eMac g4 (700mhz, 768mb ram, OS Leopard) go for 40 ($65)... I asked you guys a few days ago on my situation.. And said that my best bet is a PowerBook g4 for 120 ish... My buget it roughly 65-70... So.. There you go... Any suggestions on which one is better value, more stylish, reliable etc. Will be HUGELY appreciated..

Nameci
Jun 2, 2011, 06:30 PM
I would go for the iMac... my two cents.

Riky.loebis
Jun 2, 2011, 10:58 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Hey guys, I've been looking around for a new PPC as you may know. I've kinda wandered away from the iBooks and PowerBooks and have been amazed at how reasonably priced the iMacs and eMacs are... (suits me to the ground) so, are the worth it? I seen an iMac G4 (1.25ghz, 1gb ram, OS Leopard) go for 50 ($80 across the pond), also an eMac g4 (700mhz, 768mb ram, OS Leopard) go for 40 ($65)... I asked you guys a few days ago on my situation.. And said that my best bet is a PowerBook g4 for 120 ish... My buget it roughly 65-70... So.. There you go... Any suggestions on which one is better value, more stylish, reliable etc. Will be HUGELY appreciated..

I would iMac G4 (1.25ghz, 1gb ram, OS Leopard, 20 inch),,,

:eek::eek:iMac G4 the best imac ever,,:eek::eek:

i have iMac G4 700 mhz (2002) at home, using for surf in internet, listen music, watch movie (.avi, .dat, .flv, .mkv etc), iwork 08 (office 04), photo design (adobe photoshop), chatting with adium, play some mini games and etc.

:apple: sorry if any mistake with my words

Bloodstar
Jun 3, 2011, 12:09 AM
Go for that iMac. People love the G4s, and you might eventually be able to sell it for more than you paid for it if it's that cheap! (People do like to mod them after all, as far as I can tell...) Although, admittedly, I don't monitor the PPC iMac market...

Not to mention it's a better machine than the eMac. 10 more expensive, but you'll like the boost.

cocacolakid
Jun 3, 2011, 12:07 PM
If you go for an eMac, only get one of the last two models they made, they are significantly faster than the earlier models. You want either the 1.42 ghz eMac or the 1.25 ghz eMac. They have USB 2.0, faster cpu's, faster gpu's, and a faster system bus.

They should be around your budget.

They're both a bit faster than the iMac you mention, but that's still a nice old Mac.

BTW, if you're not familiar with Everymac.com (http://www.everymac.com/), you should be, it lists the specs for every model of Mac, so it's easy to compare and find which one(s) to look for when buying.

Mobius 1
Jun 3, 2011, 12:41 PM
where do you get one of these cheap macs?

AdrianK
Jun 3, 2011, 02:08 PM
[SIZE=1]I seen an iMac G4 (1.25ghz, 1gb ram, OS Leopard) go for 50 ($80 across the pond), also an eMac g4 (700mhz, 768mb ram, OS Leopard) go for 40 ($65)

Definitely get the iMac. Better specs, LCD instead of CRT and you should be able to up the RAM to 2GB.

Just out of curiosity, where did you find them? iMac G4s are >100 for buy it now on ebay and auctions go for just under 90 from what I've seen.

cocacolakid
Jun 3, 2011, 02:14 PM
Definitely get the iMac. Better specs, LCD instead of CRT and you should be able to up the RAM to 2GB.

BTW, the last two eMac's can also take 2GB of RAM.

The iMac will look nicer, but the eMac's are usually dirt cheap because most people do not want a CRT monitor anymore and bargains can be found everday. However, the eMac's display is very nice, a much higher quality than any CRT monitor I ever owned. I recently picked up a 1.42 eMac and was shocked by how nice it was.

Not trying to talk the OP into one over the other, just inform him of options, especially with his limited budget.