Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tpavur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
when I select this mode it does not seem to be working the way the manual said that it will... could this be a problem with my memory card or do i need to be shooting fast moving action shots? I'm trying to test it out here at the house.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
when I select this mode it does not seem to be working the way the manual said that it will... could this be a problem with my memory card or do i need to be shooting fast moving action shots? I'm trying to test it out here at the house.

What does it do, and what do you expect it to do?

Paul

tpavur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
If I turn the top dial to the "green auto" and select continuous, it takes one picture... I want it to keep snaping pictures, however if I select Hi mode with the dial it works, that is the only mode I can find that actualy works.

TheSVD

macrumors 6502a
I'm a 110% canon user and know nothing about Nikon, but I do believe when I was testing one at a convention, it needs to be on that mode to shoot continuously...

Setting it to Hi doesn't affect anything else does it? If not, then you answered your own question - that's how you make it continuously shoot!

tpavur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
in the owners manual it said: Use with bright scenes to create bright images that seem filled with light. The built-in flash turns off.

seems like I should be able to shoot continuously in other modes...

tpavur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
I just called Nikon and they told me the recycle time of the built in flash is not fast enough to keep up so the continuous mode only works with the flash down.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
If I turn the top dial to the "green auto" and select continuous, it takes one picture... I want it to keep snaping pictures, however if I select Hi mode with the dial it works, that is the only mode I can find that actualy works.

Page 35 of your manual shows the menu option for continuous release mode.

Paul

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I just called Nikon and they told me the recycle time of the built in flash is not fast enough to keep up so the continuous mode only works with the flash down.

Yes, even external flashes tend to have some issues, and some will melt down if you try to over-drive them. Built-in flashes use the camera's own battery and therefore don't have a lot of immediate power.

Paul

tpavur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
I guess this doesnt really cause much of an issue since most often you would be out doors when using this feature. can anyone direct me to a good online guide for learning all the basics of using a DSLR? Hopefully this will help prevent me from asking lots of noob questions in the future. I have looked up several guides however they are very dated and I'm sure there is something better out there, thanks in advance!

macjube

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2011
Great White North
I suggest avoiding generic DSLR resources, as they will never help you with problems like your continuous shooting issue. I do recommend an inexpensive camera-specific guide, such as http://oreilly.com/catalog/9781933952529/ -- although it's for the D5000, your D5100 is almost identical, and the downloadable PDF version only costs $15. I bought the D300s book shortly after buying my D300s a year ago, and it was well worth every penny.

While you're on the O'Reilly site, also check out the Nikon Creative Lighting System book in the same series -- it explains everything you need to know about how Nikon handles flash. You might be very surprised upon reading it.

As for continuous shooting, you really have to understand your camera to get the most out of it. On the D300s, AF-C (continuous autofocus) should be set, and you can choose whether the shutter releases on time (release priority) or when it has re-focussed (focus priority). For some subjects (eg race cars moving towards you) 3D focus tracking should be set also. See why generic DSLR books are useless?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.