PDA

View Full Version : iBook G3//Screen Problems!

ITASOR
Mar 20, 2005, 03:33 PM
iBook G3 Screen DULL/COLOR=BAD

Hello everyone,

I have been meaning to post this for a long time, and today is the day.

I have 2 computers, a PC laptop and my iBook.

Before I start, here's the specs for the ibook:

iBook G3 500Mhz
384MB SDRAM
10GB Hard Drive
CD-ROM Drive
Airport Card
OS X 10.3.8

It's not the newest thing, and it's pretty darn slow, but that shouldn't have to do anything with the screen.

The screen is moderatley dark, not too dark, but dark enough to notice. When I hold it next to my PC, the white is MUCH brighter than on the ibook.
The color is VERY off, too. I know that my PC colors are correct, and they look great, but blues and many other colors look totally different on my ibook.
This combination makes the ibook not the most ideal computer to use, and if it can't be fixed, I'll look into getting another one.

Now before anyone asks, yes the brightness is all the way up. Yes, I tried calibrating the display in the Prefs, but I cannot get it right. When I adjust the colors to look right, the screen appears WAY to dark. When I get screen bright, some places are darker than others and the colors are WAY off again.

I don't think there is a way to fix this, and I don't have applecare anymore, but maybe someone here will have a magical answer for me.

If you need any more information to help me out, just ask!

Thanks,
-Ryan

AstroManLuca
Mar 20, 2005, 03:47 PM
It seems pretty likely that this is just a case of the display getting old and the backlight wearing out. Replacing the backlight might fix the problem but I couldn't say for sure. I think I heard that backlight lamps are fairly cheap and it's the installation that costs a lot, but again I'm not sure.

I've noticed that it usually takes LCDs a minute or so to fully warm up and reach their full brightness. Of course I'm sure this is still a problem long after turning on the display, otherwise you wouldn't be posting.

I'd see what it would cost to get a new backlight. Don't bother getting anyone to install it for you - the cost will be astronomical, and it's old and out of warranty anyway so it won't be a huge loss if you mess something up trying to install it.

ITASOR
Mar 20, 2005, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, I'd like to see what I can do *without* taking it apart first. :)

Is it possible for someone to send me their Calibration Profile and for me to ust it on mine?

Mechcozmo
Mar 20, 2005, 04:19 PM
Is it possible for someone to send me their Calibration Profile and for me to ust it on mine?

It would have to be a profile for the screens in the G3 iBooks and since you are having issues, probably best to make your own.

I suggest SuperCal (http://www.bergdesign.com/supercal/). Very good. My PowerBook's display looks nicer... colors are more vivid and such. Try it out and see.

alexprice
Mar 20, 2005, 04:56 PM
It seems pretty likely that this is just a case of the display getting old and the backlight wearing out. Replacing the backlight might fix the problem but I couldn't say for sure. I think I heard that backlight lamps are fairly cheap and it's the installation that costs a lot, but again I'm not sure.

I've noticed that it usually takes LCDs a minute or so to fully warm up and reach their full brightness. Of course I'm sure this is still a problem long after turning on the display, otherwise you wouldn't be posting.

I'd see what it would cost to get a new backlight. Don't bother getting anyone to install it for you - the cost will be astronomical, and it's old and out of warranty anyway so it won't be a huge loss if you mess something up trying to install it.

Your screen's backlight cannot be changed, the screen is made up with around 11 layers, built into one of those layers are CCFL bulbs... they are sealed in. It sounds to me like the inverter needs renewal, the inverter provides the power to light up the CCFL bulbs.

A inverter change would typically cost you 100

ITASOR
Mar 20, 2005, 05:07 PM
WOW! That SuperCal really helped with the brightness. The color is still slightly noticable off. Thank you so much though!

-Ryan

Mechcozmo
Mar 20, 2005, 05:33 PM
WOW! That SuperCal really helped with the brightness. The color is still slightly noticable off. Thank you so much though!

You might try running it again with your new settings and make sure to look at the warnings! Just to refine everything, yknow?