PDA

View Full Version : New Time Capsules to Run iOS on A4/A5 Processors?

MacRumors
Jun 3, 2011, 12:42 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/03/new-time-capsules-to-run-ios-on-a4a5-processors/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/time_capsule_backup.jpg
Earlier this week, we noted (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/01/apples-retail-stores-running-dry-of-airport-and-time-capsule-stocks/) that a number of Apple's retail stores have run dry of stocks of Time Capsules, AirPort Extremes, and in some cases AirPort Expresses, leading to speculation that a refresh could come at next week's Worldwide Developers Conference. Reports (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/02/apple-testing-new-time-capsules-for-caching-software-updates/) quickly arose claiming that Apple has been known to have at least internally tested new Time Capsules capable of caching software updates for Macs and iOS devices, delivering them quickly to the machines for updating.

In a separate report (http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/06/time-capsule-update-could-cache-software-updates-sync-with-icloud.ars), Ars Technica briefly notes that it has received word that the new Time Capsule may actually follow the pattern of the Apple TV, taking on an A4 or A5 processor from Apple and running iOS to manage the more advanced functions that could appear in the device.Our own source tells Ars that the revised hardware is believed to be built around Apple's own A4 or A5 processor, and will run iOS much like the most recent Apple TV model.Harnessing the power of iOS directly within the Time Capsule device, even if on a scaled-down basis as in the Apple TV, naturally opens the door to further speculation of how Apple could tie together iCloud services with local storage on users' own networks, whether it be caching some iCloud content to the Time Capsule for faster access when on the local network or even pushing some of the Time Machine functions included on the current Time Capsule out to iCloud itself.

Separately, we've heard an unconfirmed tip that iOS 5 may finally be bringing wireless syncing to iOS devices, including the intriguing claim that the wireless syncing could be performed directly with the new Time Capsules, bypassing the need to sync with a specific computer.

Article Link: New Time Capsules to Run iOS on A4/A5 Processors? (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/03/new-time-capsules-to-run-ios-on-a4a5-processors/)

stefmesman
Jun 3, 2011, 12:45 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Cant wait for this :)

osx11
Jun 3, 2011, 12:45 PM
Great. Now we have time capsule rumors! :rolleyes:

Seriously though, next week will be quite interesting.

strwrsfrk
Jun 3, 2011, 12:47 PM
If the Time Capsules run iOS, there will be so much potential for media streaming. Especially once the jailbreak community gets a hold of it. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this is implemented.

Cougarcat
Jun 3, 2011, 12:48 PM
Intriguing. Hopefully they'll drop the price on the darn things as well.

igazza
Jun 3, 2011, 12:49 PM
i hope there black like apple tv2

HelveticaNeue
Jun 3, 2011, 12:50 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Awesome! Now not only do I get to drop $25-$129 on Lion and $25 on iCloud, but I also get to drop $600 for two new Time Capsules. This is turning into an expensive WWDC for me.

igazza
Jun 3, 2011, 12:50 PM
Intriguing. Hopefully they'll drop the price on the darn things as well.

probably not but they might up the storage, to 2TB and 3TB :)

Apple...
Jun 3, 2011, 12:52 PM
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.13548/24.871; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Awesome! Now not only do I get to drop $25-$129 on Lion and $25 on iCloud, but I also get to drop $600 for two new Time Capsules. This is turning into an expensive WWDC for me.

I know, right! :D

I love this time of year. ;)

nwcs
Jun 3, 2011, 12:52 PM

I'd prefer if they offered a mirrored raid option for more data security.

BrianMojo
Jun 3, 2011, 12:53 PM
This is great news! This line was due for something new. Exciting to hear how Apple keeps making inroads to the living room.

Cougarcat
Jun 3, 2011, 12:56 PM

I'd like to see the reverse. Give them the complete AppleTV treatment. Tiny $99 black boxes, no onboard storage. Put a bunch of USB ports on the back, all compatible with external hard drives or printers. Kill the Airport Extreme (or Time Capsule, depending on which name Apple wishes to keep.)

neko girl
Seems clunky. Require a $200 piece of hardware to enable WiFi sync on iOS devices?

virus7

if the TC is going to iOS, then i'd be pretty sure the AE would got the same route (unless for some reason they are getting rid of the AE in favor of the TC).

However I think it makes more sense to just purchase an AE and attach storage, that way you can get your RAID config if you so desire.

stridemat
Jun 3, 2011, 12:57 PM
I love the news articles running up to an Apple event. Bring on Monday.

Nero3000
Jun 3, 2011, 12:59 PM
This is exciting.

If it is anywhere near half as powerful (software wise) as Windows Home Server apple will truly be making the home space more interesting.

synagence
Jun 3, 2011, 12:59 PM
Makes sense to get as much use out of A5 as possible. Return on investment. Unification of kernels too makes development simpler

zin
Jun 3, 2011, 01:00 PM
Great. Time for arn to create a “Time Capsule” section in the Buyer's Guide. :D

iSee
Jun 3, 2011, 01:00 PM
This is interesting, but... maybe not.

What I Hope: Apple is using A4/5 + IOS because it provides a powerful, flexible, extensible environment. The new TC is an extensible media server that can handle 3rd-party services, protocols and content.

What I Expect: Apple is only using A4/5 processor + IOS because it's convenient. The new TC has some really nice but limited media serving capabilities and is not extensible.

MacVault
Jun 3, 2011, 01:01 PM
Maybe they'll match the product to their marketing this time around and REALLY put a server-grade hard drive in the thing.

Oh, and some sort of RAID / mirroring / redundancy option would be nice.

And drop the price a bit.

gramirez2012
Jun 3, 2011, 01:03 PM
YES! I will be selling my current AirPort Extreme when these new ones come out. Trying to decide if I want an Extreme or a Time Capsule, though.

What would be really awesome is if Apple provided an off-site backup option from the Time Machine to iCloud.

blindzero
Jun 3, 2011, 01:04 PM
Hopefully these will operate as a deluxe AppleTV too. No need for two pieces of hardware.

Craiger
Jun 3, 2011, 01:07 PM
All of these rumors are talking about what Apple is going to do with the Time Capsules... What about the Airport Extreme Base Station? Are they going to do away with them entirely and make me buy a Time Capsule if I want these new features? :confused:

Craiger
Jun 3, 2011, 01:07 PM
Hopefully these will operate as a deluxe AppleTV too. No need for two pieces of hardware.

guess which two pieces of hardware I just bought last month? lol

Small White Car
Jun 3, 2011, 01:08 PM
This could be big.

I know at least one person who considered an iPad as her only computer at home but she gave up on that idea because of the need to sync it with a full computer.

If a time-capsule really could sync/update/backup an iPad then I can think of 3 or 4 people I'd suggest an 'iPad-Time Capsule-Bluetooth Keyboard-Apple TV' home system to. *

As iOS grows there will be more and more people who fit that profile.

* These are people who currently own a single Macbook and only use 1/10th of its potential. So yes, that sort of customer does exist.

snberk103
I'd like to see the reverse. Give them the complete AppleTV treatment. Tiny $99 black boxes, no onboard storage. Put a bunch of USB ports on the back, all compatible with external hard drives or printers. Kill the Airport Extreme (or Time Capsule, depending on which name Apple wishes to keep.)

What if they used Thunderbolt instead of (or along with) USB? Or maybe TB enabled units would be an option?

For strictly wireless access, TB doesn't make much sense over USB. More expensive, less options, wireless speeds won't let you take advantage of TB's throughput. But... if you had some systems hooked up via gigabyte ethernet, having a TB attached HDD would make sense.

If download caching was being built in, imagine how fast an update would appear when wired into the TC/AE?

Next week is going to be very interesting indeed, eh?

This could be big.

I know at least one person who considered an iPad as her only computer at home but she gave up on that idea because of the need to sync it with a full computer.

If a time-capsule really could sync/update/backup an iPad then I can think of 3 or 4 people I'd suggest an 'iPad-Time Capsule-Bluetooth Keyboard-Apple TV' home system to. *

* These are people who currently own a single Macbook and only use 1/10th of its potential. So yes, that sort of customer does exist.

I think you are onto something here. I think this is Jobs real dream. That for many many people, an Apple iPad and an Apple "device" that attaches your iPad to the internet is all the computing power you need. Then you just need external storage for all the Apple provided content you are going to buy. I give your comment 3 thumbs up!!

Hellhammer

Apple wants you to buy the storage from them. Considering that the price difference between 1TB and 2TB TC is 200$, it's super easy money for Apple.

morespce54
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.13548/24.871; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

I know, right! :D

I love this time of year. ;)

Your banker (and CC company) too! ;)

Menopause
Wireless iOS device sync: WANT WANT WANT !!!

mmcxiiad
Jun 3, 2011, 01:11 PM
MOST IMPORTANT - i want to be able to administer an airport expresss, base station, and/or time capsule from iOS devices. It is ridiculous that you can't view or edit setting on apple networking devices from apple iOS devices.

Cougarcat
Jun 3, 2011, 01:12 PM
What if they used Thunderbolt instead of (or along with) USB? Or maybe TB enabled units would be an option?

For strictly wireless access, TB doesn't make much sense over USB. More expensive, less options, wireless speeds won't let you take advantage of TB's throughput. But... if you had some systems hooked up via gigabyte ethernet, having a TB attached HDD would make sense.

Yeah, TB is unlikely for these reasons. It would be expensive and not very useful. Maybe in a "Pro" model.

Apple wants you to buy the storage from them. Considering that the price difference between 1TB and 2TB TC is 200$, it's super easy money for Apple.

They killed the "super easy money" AppleTVs, so they could do it here too.

OllyW
Jun 3, 2011, 01:13 PM
What if they used Thunderbolt instead of (or along with) USB?

If they used Thunderbolt instead of USB you would have to wait a long time for affordable storage to become available. :D

kas23
Jun 3, 2011, 01:14 PM
I really don't see how all these devices are going to work together; Airport Express/Extreme, TC, and ATV. Seems like Apple should be consolidating all these devices into one, not adding more bling to existing devices (which Apple will likely throttle anyways).

ten-oak-druid
Jun 3, 2011, 01:14 PM
Apple TV with game coming soon.

Perhaps when Apple buys Nintendo in a few years, this will be the new wii?

BeachChair
Jun 3, 2011, 01:15 PM
All of these rumors are talking about what Apple is going to do with the Time Capsules... What about the Airport Extreme Base Station? Are they going to do away with them entirely and make me buy a Time Capsule if I want these new features? :confused:

Seems like it. A lot of these rumored features requires a fair bit of onboard storage on the router itself. Of course they could offer two models, one with 16 gb of flash memory and one with 16 gb of flash memory + 2 terrabyte spinning drive.

Žalgiris
Jun 3, 2011, 01:16 PM
This could be big.

Price wise it would be just as expensive as having a MacBook. What if this is where iCloud comes in? Would be much less expensive and would inject milions of new iPad users, because they could sync with cloud without need for a computer.

toddybody
Jun 3, 2011, 01:16 PM

Unfortunately thats true.

Personally, Id love to see this A5 driven TC with a unibody enclosure and 1 user accessible SATA III bay...IMHO, it would be a much better storage option than the iCloud rumors.

eroyce
Jun 3, 2011, 01:17 PM
YES! I will be selling my current AirPort Extreme when these new ones come out. Trying to decide if I want an Extreme or a Time Capsule, though.

What would be really awesome is if Apple provided an off-site backup option from the Time Machine to iCloud.

If the products are similar to what they have been, definitely go the AE + hard drive route over time capsule. There are better hard drive options and you don't lose both if one fails (plus you may be able to save money).

Lesser Evets
Jun 3, 2011, 01:17 PM

I wrote yesterday on comments of another TM thread that they should just roll them together and have a Time Machine-Base Station-Apple TV as one device. There's nothing stunningly expensive, unique, or tricky to making a device as such. It would be the perfect thingy for home computer use and bridge computer and TV perfectly. Hope they do it--I'd actually buy that if the ATV part works well with 1080i.

Bring it. I could use all of that stuff in one package.

Cougarcat
Jun 3, 2011, 01:19 PM
If the products are similar to what they have been, definitely go the AE + hard drive route over time capsule. There are better hard drive options and you don't lose both if one fails (plus you may be able to save money).

Does Apple fully support Time Machine over Air Disk in this manner, and does it work just as well as Time Capsule?

Apple...
Jun 3, 2011, 01:19 PM

Seems clunky. Require a $200 piece of hardware to enable WiFi sync on iOS devices?

Yeah. I'm hoping it will be MUCH more cheaper. $200 + is a bit ridiculous.

Dr Kevorkian94
Jun 3, 2011, 01:21 PM
This is cool, ther eare so many possibilities now. I can't wait to see what they come up with.

lazyrighteye

I too would like to see them move to a lone box that handles, tomorrow, what three boxes handles today.
Maybe that is one reason they priced TV2 at $99 so the bitching & moaning would be a tad less when the "one box to rule them all" is released (and priced at $299). :p

fat jez

That was exactly the thought that occurred to me. One of the biggest complaints about ATV is you need a running iTunes to serve up media from your own network. I'd have thought that it would be fairly trivial to stick an HDMI port on that thing and get a nice video out, giving you an ATV with a stonking big local disk for media storage and backups.

Žalgiris
I wrote yesterday on comments of another TM thread that they should just roll them together and have a Time Machine-Base Station-Apple TV as one device. There's nothing stunningly expensive, unique, or tricky to making a device as such. It would be the perfect thingy for home computer use and bridge computer and TV perfectly. Hope they do it--I'd actually buy that if the ATV part works well with 1080i.

Also it would simplify production/packaging and support and so on (all stuff).

Small White Car
Jun 3, 2011, 01:22 PM
Price wise it would be just as expensive as having a MacBook. What if this is where iCloud comes in? Would be much less expensive and would inject milions of new iPad users, because they could sync with cloud without need for a computer.

Yes, but for these people having a tablet computer when they leave home is a big advantage over having a laptop.

That's a plus in their minds and it's $30 cheaper for all that stuff than the Macbook. (Not a lot, no, but cheaper is cheaper.)

And that's based on all those things staying the same price. I susepct there will still be a $99 Apple TV, but I would be surprised if a new Time Capsule doesn't also act as one.

So that's another $100 of the price of the setup if something like that happens.

BeachChair
Jun 3, 2011, 01:22 PM

I would love this. But is the A5 fast enough to do routing, serving iTunes, harddisk I/O and HD movie decoding at the same time?

The NAS space is very interesting, it is what all the geeks rave about. Apple has the vision and ability to bring the power of NAS to the masses.

fat jez
Jun 3, 2011, 01:23 PM
What would also be nice is a Time Capsule with a slot where you could slide in your own storage, i.e. sell it bare, open a flap, slide in your own disk and format it. Every other NAS lets you do that, would be sweet if Apple followed suit.

eroyce
Jun 3, 2011, 01:24 PM
Does Apple fully support Time Machine over Air Disk in this manner, and does it work just as well as Time Capsule?

Yup, I have this running at home now. Wife opens laptop and everything backs up without her every knowing or thinking about it. Very slick. With a USB hub, I have two other drives also connected to the AE that work as media servers.

davidwarren
I'll buy one, I was just thinking about another extreme last month.

WickedStealthy
I doubt it will be for me.

What about a AE+ which has some small SSD in it for caching and where you can hook up some thunderbolt enclosre or attach it via gigabit to a decent NAS system.

Of course full iTunes streaming + syncing ....

I think I'm dreaming :D

diamond.g
Jun 3, 2011, 01:25 PM
That was exactly the thought that occurred to me. One of the biggest complaints about ATV is you need a running iTunes to serve up media from your own network. I'd have thought that it would be fairly trivial to stick an HDMI port on that thing and get a nice video out, giving you an ATV with a stonking big local disk for media storage and backups.

Does anyone else think it is a dumb idea to have your router/firewall serve that purpose (the HDMI bit)? So now instead of having an ATV that can be moved around or turned off, I now have my router/firewall that had to be right where my cable/dsl modem is and can't be turned off serve that purpose. Who has their cable/dsl modem in their living room anyways?

OllyW
Jun 3, 2011, 01:25 PM

I've been using it for a long time and have never had any problems.

hitekalex
Jun 3, 2011, 01:28 PM

Not sure how what you described is different from already existing Airport Extreme.

fat jez
Jun 3, 2011, 01:29 PM
Who has their cable/dsl modem in their living room anyways?

Me for one, right underneath my TV in the same rack.

rajid
Jun 3, 2011, 01:29 PM
I can see it now. If they have the power of iOS in the Time Capsule device, then it wouldn't be hard at all to introduce another level into Time Machine backups. For a set cost/year, you could have automated backups into the iCloud, thus providing not only completely automated backups, but *off-site* automated backups, the gold standard of backups! :)

Benjamins
Jun 3, 2011, 01:30 PM
Bring it on, I knew this is going to happen sooner or later.

Cooler more power efficient Airport Extremes.

gramirez2012
Jun 3, 2011, 01:30 PM

I have tried it several times, but after a couple of weeks the backup image always became corrupt, so it would have create a whole new backup. Apple does not support it as far as I know.

Who has their cable/dsl modem in their living room anyways?I do.

Cougarcat
Jun 3, 2011, 01:32 PM
Not sure how what you described is different from already existing Airport Extreme.

The current AE has a single USB port, and obviously has no A5 processor w/ iOS. Also, it is not aggressively priced like the AppleTV. And as gramirez says, I don't think Apple officially supports time machine over Air Disk.

But you're right, what I described is more similar to a current AE than TC.

diamond.g

Interesting, I keep mine in the theater room. I guess the next question is could iOS handle the load (of being a router and firewall) and be a media server as well?

david77
This could be big.

I fall into this group, and yes it would be huge for the home setup.

Lesser Evets
Jun 3, 2011, 01:33 PM
I would love this. But is the A5 fast enough to do routing, serving iTunes, harddisk I/O and HD movie decoding at the same time?

The NAS space is very interesting, it is what all the geeks rave about. Apple has the vision and ability to bring the power of NAS to the masses.

Not sure, but I'd hope they figured it out and can make it work. It is probably a stretch to hope the A5 can do such function at this time. Besides, you price up the bits and pieces on sale at the moment and you get something that would be $400+ for 1TB disk, a base station, and an AppleTV. That's a chunk of money. If it was $299, and it worked as all three, it'd be a decent piece of tech.

We'll see soon, assuming they are releasing a new TM/ATV/AEBS, etc.

Who has their cable/dsl modem in their living room anyways?

I used to, now it is the kitchen next to the living room door. I'd rather have it in the living room, but there's no reason to move it at this time. A computer component along with all the other home electronics beneath the TV makes perfect sense, especially since the PS3 communicates constantly with my AirPort Base Station.

ebow
Jun 3, 2011, 01:33 PM
I'm struggling to get why Time Capsule would need to run iOS or have any real interface for that matter. You access its functions and capabilities via hardware that runs Mac OS X or iOS, not directly. :confused:

C00rDiNaT0r
Jun 3, 2011, 01:35 PM
Interesting.. If they use it as a cache, that means you get a copy of the data in case the iCloud goes down right?

In the ideal world where wireless internet access is as fast as thunderbolt, and unlimited data plans, we wouldn't need much internal storage if we have one of these time capsules!

Žalgiris
Jun 3, 2011, 01:36 PM
I fall into this group, and yes it would be huge for the home setup.

I think removing a Mac or PC that you currently need for syncing would be great for all of us in general.

jsoto
Great. Now we have time capsule rumors! :rolleyes:

Seriously though, next week will be quite interesting.

I second that!:D

HobeSoundDarryl
Of all of the stuff flying around to be revealed at this event, this one seems the most interesting to me. I think iCloud is a mess regardless of what Apple builds into it because the links to it are controlled by AT&T, Verizon, Comcast, Time Warner, etc. I think Lion continues to look surprisingly thin in "wow" features, including rumored features.

But this is really interesting. I too would love to see that centralized iTunes server (NAS) built to a "just works" Apple spec and also doubling as a "pro" :apple:TV. Centralize the home media library there and stream it from there to all the computers and iDevices in the house. Play that content on your TV without having to have any computers on. Etc.

Maybe even replicate some of the functionality of pogoplug http://www.pogoplug.com/ so you have your own personal cloud stocked with whatever you want to access on the go. Note that this could be a way for non-iTunes-purchased content to be seamlessly merged with iCloud (iTunes purchased content) when you are on the go.

If there was one bit of pseudo-mainstream hardware missing from the Apple lineup (headless minitower excluded), some kind of "it just works" easily expandable home NAS would be it (IMO). I hope to see this announced next week.

TallManNY
Jun 3, 2011, 01:39 PM
Aren't you guys all talking about AppleTV 1 when you say you want the TC hard drive attached to AppleTV 2? I have Apple TV 1 and it looks quite a bit like the AEBS and TC. Except for heat issues, it would be easy to stack them and it would look nice. Seems like a step back for Apple, but it might happen at the $299 price point.

I'm sure these will have Thunderbolt connections as Apple doesn't typically go halfway when it is trying to propagate a standard. There will be no significant price point difference between USB 3 and Thunderbolt by next year in any case.

In any case, the Thunderbolt connection might be able to drive video out (at least if the thing can get jailbroken), so that would give you your back to the future AppleTV1.

mikechan1234
Jun 3, 2011, 01:42 PM
Apple TV with game coming soon.

Perhaps when Apple buys Nintendo in a few years, this will be the new wii?

Can apple even afford nintendo? I don't think so

Laird Knox
Jun 3, 2011, 01:43 PM
I too would like to see them move to a lone box that handles, tomorrow, what three boxes handles today.
Maybe that is one reason they priced TV2 at $99 so the bitching & moaning would be a tad less when the "one box to rule them all" is released (and priced at $299). :p

Except if I want an Apple TV on three screens I don't really need three router/NAS/media center devices.

Cougarcat
Jun 3, 2011, 01:45 PM
Aren't you guys all talking about AppleTV 1 when you say you want the TC hard drive attached to AppleTV 2? I have Apple TV 1 and it looks quite a bit like the AEBS and TC. Except for heat issues, it would be easy to stack them and it would look nice. Seems like a step back for Apple, but it might happen at the $299 price point.

What I meant by an AppleTV (2)-like device was a wireless router similarly priced with no onboard storage, just USB ports, and the AppleTV processor to handle the new stuff. Bring your own HDs.

HobeSoundDarryl
Jun 3, 2011, 01:47 PM
I still have and use :apple:TV 1. I like the local storage. I've always wished for an Apple-endorsed way to significantly increase the storage to hold my entire collection of media (I know there are hacks for the USB port).

It would seem like a step back in terms of box size but it would also be a new product in many ways. And I think if it does becomes a central store of all iTunes media, it makes a lot of sense for it to be stored on a device intended to play that media anytime of day or night. Store it there and let the computers & iDevices access that central library from that one source.

I have been close to laying out pretty good coin for Drobo and I'm on the verge of buying unraid. It would be good for Apple to deliver their version of a NAS.

Nomadski
Jun 3, 2011, 01:48 PM
Making TC compatible with xbox 360 would be a step forward...

Apple *Its Microsofts fault*

Microsoft *Its Apples fault*

6 years (?) after launch of 360 and the two still wont talk.

I returned my TC and went back to the AE, but even that with the latest firmware wont back up without errors via over the air TM from a Macbook to a QNAP NAS, so I have to use an earlier firmware.

Hopefully they will add extra functionality to the AE, in which case Ill upgrade. The TC is a bit redundant to my needs.

HobeSoundDarryl
Jun 3, 2011, 01:50 PM
Except if I want an Apple TV on three screens I don't really need three router/NAS/media center devices.

One "pro" model (as imagined above) and 2 "thin clients" like the $99 version offered now. The clients can stream from the centralized storage in the "pro" model.

Technoguy3
Jun 3, 2011, 01:50 PM
I can't believe everyone here is acting as is the new Time Capsule will have local storage. A couple million iTunes songs does not a 500,000 sq. ft. data center make.

ugahairydawgs
Jun 3, 2011, 01:52 PM
Very, very cool

HobeSoundDarryl
Jun 3, 2011, 01:56 PM
I can't believe everyone here is acting as is the new Time Capsule will have local storage. A couple million iTunes songs does not a 500,000 sq. ft. data center make.

Not everyone here is in love with the iCloud concept as a complete replacement for local storage. The one big benefit would be a truly remote backup, but Apple could give us local TC2 with the option to mirror our time machine backups to the iCloud if we want that benefit.

A pure iCloud-only option has all kinds of issues, but the biggest one (IMO) is the controllers of the pipes that connect us to the iCloud are striving to pinch down our broadband use through tiers, caps and pricing while this iCloud concept is encouraging even more broadband usage. That's not going to end well if we like to keep as much money as we can in our pockets, yet we want to store and stream everything in the iCloud.

toddybody
Jun 3, 2011, 01:58 PM

Without local storage, whats the point of a Time Capsule?

Is this what youre advocating?

iOS Device/Mac <Time Capsule> iCloud Servers

All iCloud services (what we think they will be) can be done without intermediary HW.

hitekalex
The current AE has a single USB port, and obviously has no A5 processor w/ iOS. Also, it is not aggressively priced like the AppleTV. And as gramirez says, I don't think Apple officially supports time machine over Air Disk.

But you're right, what I described is more similar to a current AE than TC.

Time Machine has been perfectly compatible with AirDisk since about 2008 (and in any case that shouldn't require any hardware changes). I am not sure I really care if AEX runs iOS on A5 processor. It's a NAS/router appliance, I don't need to interact with its OS beyond the configuration utility.

Multiple USB ports might be useful, especially if they were UBS 3.0 ports. But not a major deal, as most multi-drive Storage enclosures require a single USB/FW input.

mr.steevo
This could be big.

Yes. I like what you are thinking.

I'm one of those customers. My 7 year old iBook sends emails just as fast as my neighbour's new i7 iMac so I really have no desire to upgrade until the mini upgrades or your idea comes to reality.

tigres
Jun 3, 2011, 02:00 PM
Now this I will buy, day of release.

maroontiger2k9
Jun 3, 2011, 02:04 PM
if apple can pull off the marketing, it would be great to merge :apple:TV into the Airport Express Line..

1. Airport Express (router only)
2. Airport Express with :apple:TV
3. Airport Express with :apple:TV + Time Capsule(500GB, 2TB, 3TB) called the Apple TV Personal Cloud Edition :cool:

its becoming ridiculous to have both an apple tv and a time capsule....from a hardware perspective, but im glad i didnt have to shell out more than 99.99 for the apple tv..

briloronmacrumo
Jun 3, 2011, 02:06 PM
Time machine and AE both show for sale and shipping on the USA Apple Online store.

bergert
Jun 3, 2011, 02:15 PM
Without local storage, whats the point of a Time Capsule?

Is this what youre advocating?

iOS Device/Mac <Time Capsule> iCloud Servers

All iCloud services (what we think they will be) can be done without intermediary HW.

The answer is speed. A Time-Machine Backup of 20GB data takes 10 minutes to a local disk; 30 minutes to a local networked disk (TimeCapsule); 10 hours over the internet (iCloud). Are you gonna wait 10 hours for a backup to complete ? (yes I know, but FiOS is not available where I live).

Another problem is the streaming. I am not willing to keep my MacPro running; so my wife can watch TV. If the TC is running iOS it can act as iTunes (=server) and the aTV can stream from it. That's all I really need.

Chealion
Jun 3, 2011, 02:15 PM
Can anyone list any good reasons to move to iOS from NetBSD for a freaking router?!? It does however already use an ARM processor.

Is the guy behind the Airport products still at Apple? (I can't recall his name - but I seem to remember that he left Apple last year)

diamond.g
Jun 3, 2011, 02:18 PM
The answer is speed. A Time-Machine Backup of 20GB data takes 10 minutes to a local disk; 30 minutes to a local networked disk (TimeCapsule); 10 hours over the internet (iCloud). Are you gonna wait 10 hours for a backup to complete ? (yes I know, but FiOS is not available where I live).

Another problem is the streaming. I am not willing to keep my MacPro running; so my wife can watch TV. If the TC is running iOS it can act as iTunes (=server) and the aTV can stream from it. That's all I really need.

So where does ones iTunes library get backed up to if it resides on the TimeCapsule?

ciTiger
Jun 3, 2011, 02:21 PM
If this is true iOS5 is gonna be big...

Cougarcat

1. Backing up your entire mac to the internet would take ages.
2. The data center is for Apple's complete MobileMe replacement and new syncing services, not just iTunes.

bergert
So where does ones iTunes library get backed up to if it resides on the TimeCapsule?

Onto your MacPro - or the cloud: and then the new data center will sell out quickly.

logandzwon
Jun 3, 2011, 02:23 PM
So, AppleTV hardware plus a USB port or two, (for an external HD,) a whole new OS built on iOS that runs itunes. That should be about $99... Maybe a little more, (software development cost money.) The hardware would be almost exactly the same though.

womble2k2
Jun 3, 2011, 02:24 PM
Wireless synching makes sense, this bodes well against the conversation I overheard, but didn't take too seriously at the time. It would be an extension to the wireless activation piece.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1089193&highlight=
However, it could be only for iPhone 5, iPad 3 and iPod Touch 5. What the article didn't mention, but what I would expect, would be that the Time Caspule and Airport Extremes to be AirPrint servers, so anyting connected to them will be able to AirPrint to a connected printer (with printer connection either wireless or Cabled).

I just had a quick review of the orginal post, and it is interesting as some features have now either been confirmed or are strongly rumoured to happen.

With the recent iMovie update, even though not as big as was suggested, does give me some confidence that a modified iLife package will become part of iOS 5.

Garageband has been released as an iPad app since the original post. Any chance of a universal???

The iTunes Cloud (iCloud) is now confirmed.

Time Capsule backup for iOS devices would make total sense now.

Improved notifications look set to happen.

All quite interesting. I hope everything else comes true!

Phil

conradzoo
Jun 3, 2011, 02:30 PM

Same here.

Anyway, Apple doesn't even sell the AppleTV in The Netherlands, let alone the 'New' combi... or will they?

jeremiah256
Jun 3, 2011, 02:39 PM
Wireless synching makes sense, this bodes well against the conversation I overheard, but didn't take too seriously at the time. It would be an extension to the wireless activation piece.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1089193&highlight=

Phil

+1

Thanks for the link. That's a pretty nice list of improvements. Sure hope they live stream the event.

kbotc
Jun 3, 2011, 02:44 PM
Can anyone list any good reasons to move to iOS from NetBSD for a freaking router?!? It does however already use an ARM processor.

Is the guy behind the Airport products still at Apple? (I can't recall his name - but I seem to remember that he left Apple last year)

Why would it stay with an externally controlled OS? iOS can run ISC dhcpd and BIND quite well already. Apple's programming resources know the ins and outs of iOS much better than they would NetBSD, so it would make business sense to make use of existing resources rather than hiring new talent for a low-profit box.

8CoreWhore
Jun 3, 2011, 03:05 PM
Add an HDMI and miniDisplay Port to it and WOW!!!!

Oh, and a Thunderbolt Port --- add several TB's of HDD's to it. : ) : ) : )

4nNtt
Jun 3, 2011, 03:16 PM
Could be interesting if your iOS device now syncs to iCloud instead of iTunes. Then the time capsule could have a local cache for faster syncing.

macducky
Jun 3, 2011, 03:18 PM
if apple can pull off the marketing, it would be great to merge :apple:TV into the Airport Express Line..

3. Airport Express with :apple:TV + Time Capsule(500GB, 2TB, 3TB) called the Apple TV Personal Cloud Edition :cool:

And let the iPads / iPhones / MacBooks just act as a remote to stream to TV / Speakers!!!!
(minimizes bw usage too!!)

Not a "real" fan of clouding "everything"....

PLEASE!!!!! :)

tripjammer
Jun 3, 2011, 03:29 PM
Damn we might be seeing new AppleTVs also...just think a time capsule with an Apple A5 chip in it or an apple TV 3 with an A5 chip in it?

WOW

Bring Monday on now!

Not everyone here is in love with the iCloud concept as a complete replacement for local storage. The one big benefit would be a truly remote backup, but Apple could give us local TC2 with the option to mirror our time machine backups to the iCloud if we want that benefit.

A pure iCloud-only option has all kinds of issues, but the biggest one (IMO) is the controllers of the pipes that connect us to the iCloud are striving to pinch down our broadband use through tiers, caps and pricing while this iCloud concept is encouraging even more broadband usage. That's not going to end well if we like to keep as much money as we can in our pockets, yet we want to store and stream everything in the iCloud.

Get over it...the Cloud is gonna take over the internet...no matter what...in the next 5 years if you are not in the cloud you are nobody. The ISPs will have to upgrade the bandwidth...and relax on the caps...

And let the iPads / iPhones / MacBooks just act as a remote to stream to TV / Speakers!!!!
(minimizes bw usage too!!)

Not a "real" fan of clouding "everything"....

PLEASE!!!!! :)

Nice but iCloud everything for the win. Why do you need to backup when Apple can back it up for you? Hard drives crash...apple can easily and quickly replace drives in the datacenter, so you never lose your data. But these new Time capsules allow you to at least have a local backup...so it is a good thing.

But full cloud in the future.

hitekalex
Jun 3, 2011, 03:34 PM
the Cloud is gonna take over the internet...

If there was an award for a "MacRumors dumb quote of the day" - I would nominate the above!

ct2k7
Jun 3, 2011, 03:37 PM
I am getting tired of iOS being everyone. iOS on iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad, fine.. but all others.. no thanks. Even if it is an SKU, it is getting fragmented.

BLACKFRIDAY
Jun 3, 2011, 03:38 PM

Exactly. On another note, why cannot a mac do it?

diamond.g
Jun 3, 2011, 03:39 PM
Get over it...the Cloud is gonna take over the internet...no matter what...in the next 5 years if you are not in the cloud you are nobody. The ISPs will have to upgrade the bandwidth...and relax on the caps...

They won't have to upgrade bandwidth, since most municipalities allow a monopoly or a duopoly (at least for cable internet) they have no incentive to upgrade. FIOS had a real chance of upsetting the balance, but Verizon has given up on it, probably due to a lack of ROI.

HobeSoundDarryl
Jun 3, 2011, 03:39 PM

...for higher fees.

You are right about so much of what you wrote above, but you are missing the fee piece. If you are going to connect to this future cloud via 3G/4G/5G (in five years), you'll be paying AT&T or Verizon to do so. They've long been "building out capacity to upgrade the bandwidth" but prices haven't been coming down.

I have little doubt about an abundance of cloud services in the future. I also have little doubt that the connections between us and the cloud- that is, the tolls we have to pay to connect to those clouds- is only going to move in one direction. But you believe what you want.

Laird Knox
Jun 3, 2011, 03:43 PM

its becoming ridiculous to have both an apple tv and a time capsule....from a hardware perspective, but im glad i didnt have to shell out more than 99.99 for the apple tv..

Perhaps I'm missing something... Why would I want a router attached to every TV? There is nothing wrong with the aTV as a stand alone device.

HobeSoundDarryl
Jun 3, 2011, 03:44 PM
They won't have to upgrade bandwidth, since most municipalities allow a monopoly or a duopoly (at least for cable internet) they have no incentive to upgrade. FIOS had a real chance of upsetting the balance, but Verizon has given up on it, probably due to a lack of ROI.

And Apple & Google could have become direct competitors for Verizon & AT&T by simply buying up the spectrum freed up recently by the digital TV transition and putting up their own 3G/4G/5G networks. Yet, who was allowed to grab that spectrum? The same old duopoly players.

Now Comcasts, Time Warner, etc observe that people will pay $25 for 2GB caps yet, their selling around 250GB for about $50/month. It's only a matter of time until 250 becomes 125, and 125 becomes 50, etc. Sure, one is wired and another is wireless, but just watch what happens. It's always the same in duopoly/monopoly scenarios.

"Cloud is the future" or not, the real problem (cost) will be in being able to connect to all that perceived goodness anytime and anywhere... while still keeping some money in your pockets.

hitekalex
Jun 3, 2011, 03:45 PM
Perhaps I'm missing something... Why would I want a router attached to every TV? There is nothing wrong with the aTV as a stand alone device.

You're not missing anything. Apple isn't going to bundle Apple TV into AEX routers / time capsules - that just makes no sense.

People here just hear the word "iOS" and they start running wild with "what if" possibilities.

OllyW
Jun 3, 2011, 03:50 PM

Haven't you heard, we are now in the Post-PC era?

Macs are now officially rubbish and are only used by dinosaurs. :rolleyes:

djrod
Jun 3, 2011, 03:51 PM
I think this is pretty clear.

There is going to be a new iTunes server device, call it time capsule, time cloud capsule or whatever, the thing goes like this.

You have your Mac but your iTunes content is in the time capsule, you plays your music steaming from your time capsule, this way the time capsule syncs with the cloud sending all your stuff so you can play it on your iPhone when you are not home and streaming from the time capsule to your apple tv without needing to have the Mac turned on.

HobeSoundDarryl
Jun 3, 2011, 03:52 PM
You're not missing anything. Apple isn't going to bundle Apple TV into AEX routers / time capsules - that just makes no sense. People here just hear the word "iOS" and they start running wild with "what if" possibilities.

I think the "running wild" part goes like this...

If a new time capsule is going to have big storage (or the option for expandable storage)...
If it's going to be your local bridge to the iCloud...
If it's going to possibly be Apple's crack at a NAS device (particularly a central storage iTunes media server) for the masses...
If it's going to be able to stream your iTunes content to your :apple:TV directly (no computer required)...
If it's going to be built on the same hardware platform as the :apple:TV...

...its only the :apple:TV software "app" and a few HD ports away from being able to double as a next-gen :apple:TV.

Personally, I love the idea and hope to see it prove out next week.

I do imagine there will still be thin client :apple:TVs pretty similar to now which can be hooked to other TVs around the house and stream from this central storage.

BLACKFRIDAY
Jun 3, 2011, 03:52 PM
Haven't you heard, we are now in the Post-PC era?

Macs are now officially rubbish and are only used by dinosaurs. :rolleyes:

The thing is, I have spent a lot of money on Apple desktops and laptops.

Now buying a TC worth $$ for wireless sync and backups, sounds absolutely ridiculous.

Full of Win
Jun 3, 2011, 03:56 PM

I would suspect the routing and other functions, such as firewall protection, QoS, ect... would be done by a dedicated chipset, as is done with routers now. On top of this will be an iOS powered OS.

OllyW
Jun 3, 2011, 03:57 PM

Now buying a TC worth $$ for wireless sync and backups, sounds absolutely ridiculous.

Nothing has been confirmed yet but if they do introduce those new features get ready with your credit card because you'll have to buy the new hardware.

scottsjack
Jun 3, 2011, 03:58 PM
Maybe there are still (a few) people like me. I have an extensive amount of data and I'm not interested in cloud computing, cloud storage, cloud streaming or social network sharing/streaming/whatever.

For we traditionalists I hope Apple doesn't screw up the Time Capsule. My current gen 2TB one works really great. Faster and smarter backup abilities are always appreciated as TCs evolve.

While Apple could probably put 2TB WD RE4 drives in the TC, still charge $499 and still make money I'm not sure that a "real" enterprise drive would be able to keep cool in the TC's pathetically non-cooled case.

The lower spec almost-enterprise drive in mine seems to work fine. For TC's five minutes of operation per hour I'm not sure that a premium grade enterprise drive is really necessary.

hitekalex
Jun 3, 2011, 03:59 PM
I think the "running wild" part goes like this...

If a new time capsule is going to have big storage (or the option for expandable storage)...
If it's going to be your local bridge to the iCloud...
If it's going to possibly be Apple's crack at a NAS device (particularly a central storage iTunes media server) for the masses...
If it's going to be able to stream your iTunes content to your :apple:TV directly (no computer required)...
If it's going to be built on the same hardware platform as the :apple:TV...

...its only the :apple:TV software "app" and a few HD ports away from being able to double as a next-gen :apple:TV.

Doubtful. Apple TV with local storage isn't "next gen" - it's going back to the Apple TV 1st Generation model. Don't see Apple going back to that.

And when you say "no computer required".. an iOS Time Capsule with a few local hard disks IS a computer.. albeit a slightly smaller one. I have Mac Mini for that purpose already, and see no benefit whatsoever in replacing it with iOS Time Capsule ;)

EiriasEmrys
Jun 3, 2011, 04:04 PM

I just had a really expensive RAID drive crash on me, lost both drives. The mirror was useless. Lost the entire online of my film and my post team's weeks of work were lost. Though we had multiple drives for the edit and footage, the online full-rez renders were lost. I have a scarred faith in RAID now. If one does a RAID configuration, i suggest not using a pre-configured RAID in the same housing, as a hardware failure could get both of them, whereas two separate enclosures in RAID configuration should be less vulnerable to that.

BLACKFRIDAY
Jun 3, 2011, 04:09 PM
Nothing has been confirmed yet but if they do introduce those new features get ready with your credit card because you'll have to buy the new hardware.

Well, I'll ignore those features then anyway. :|

scottsjack
Jun 3, 2011, 04:16 PM

Really at this point a Time Capsule only makes sense if you A) need a pretty good quality wireless router B) want some external boot drive or data protection and C) don't mind paying a little too much for a great looking Apple device that puts needs A and B together in a small package.

cmaier
Jun 3, 2011, 04:34 PM
I just had a really expensive RAID drive crash on me, lost both drives. The mirror was useless. Lost the entire online of my film and my post team's weeks of work were lost. Though we had multiple drives for the edit and footage, the online full-rez renders were lost. I have a scarred faith in RAID now. If one does a RAID configuration, i suggest not using a pre-configured RAID in the same housing, as a hardware failure could get both of them, whereas two separate enclosures in RAID configuration should be less vulnerable to that.

RAID isn't, itself, a back-up system. The non-replicated components may crash. But the odds of the system board or power supply giving out are about the same for a RAID box vs. a non-RAID box. RAID merely provides drive redundancy. You should always back up your RAID (unless the RAID is, itself, a backup of something else).

balamw
Jun 3, 2011, 04:42 PM
I expected exactly this, and can't wait for Monday.

I'd love to replace my Airport Express, Time Capsule and Windows Home Server with something along these lines.

B

manu chao
Jun 3, 2011, 04:49 PM
Add an HDMI and miniDisplay Port to it and WOW!!!!

Apple had seven years to add an audio out port to their Airport Extremes and Time Capsules (the audio transmission technology started with the Airport Express in 2004). They didn't, why add an audio port to it when you sell another $99 device that has an audio port?

newfoundglory
Jun 3, 2011, 05:03 PM
A5 is going to be required on the Apple TV for full 1080

But the A5 would appear to be overkill for something like a router, unless Apple has some interesting plans for it. I can think of a number of interesting possibilities this would create, particularly as the time capsule has large amounts of storage.

A time capsule is something which you would usually leave connected to the internet almost all of the time. So perhaps this has closer links to iCloud. You buy music from the 'cloud' and that is streamed to your phone, but is automatically cached or synced with the new time capsule? Maybe you can put content on your TC and make that available to other iOS devices via iCloud?

Mac with iTunes > Time Capsule > iCloud > iPhone running iOS 5?

OllyW
Jun 3, 2011, 05:04 PM
Apple had seven years to add an audio out port to their Airport Extremes and Time Capsules (the audio transmission technology started with the Airport Express in 2004). They didn't, why add an audio port to it when you sell another $99 device that has an audio port?

The Marvell 88F6281 1.2 GHz "Kirkwood" board used in the latest AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule has even got built in audio so there was no reason they couldn't have added it.

joueboy
Jun 3, 2011, 05:17 PM
SJ: Introducing the most powerful and smartest wireless router in the market, powered with dual core A5 processor. Yes! We did it again, we learned from our iPhone and iPad when we developed the the Personal Hotspot on iOS. This is more than just your average wireless router. This is what we put in this device blah blah blah blah blah blah. All these for only $199 for 1TB and $299 for 2TB and it's available starting today in white color.

fpnc
Jun 3, 2011, 05:31 PM
If the Time Capsule becomes a true iTunes server which allows access both from within your local network (to your Macs/PCs/Apple TVs) AND externally over the internet (i.e. the "cloud" to your iPhone/iPad/iPod touch) then it will be the product for which I have been waiting on for the last several years.

True, the existing products (AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule) allowed simple file sharing even over the internet when using MobileMe, but the integration with iTunes (or lack thereof) and the quality of the user experience definitely left something to be desired.

Here's what I said in Dec 2009:Apple's recent purchase of LaLa and their plan to build a one billion dollar server farm in NC are only the beginnings. Streaming media is the future of the entertainment industry and that's where Apple wants to go. Frankly, I think it is a possibility that Apple is looking at ways to reduce the cost of the Apple TV rather than making it multi-functional and even more expensive. What they may offer is a diskless, streaming-only player that will require an always on connection to your computer or an interface to an Apple produced, standalone iTunes server (something like Apple's Time Capsule).

This could be a huge development and it literally boggles the mind that Apple hasn't already introduced an iTunes server that could be accessed from anywhere you had a Mac or iOS device. Integrate this with the rumored iCloud service and you'll have the best of both worlds, Apple-hosted storage for all of your iTunes Store content and your own iTunes server at home for everything else (i.e. CD rips, DVD rips*, etc.).

*converted to H.264 with either iTunes or Handbrake.

redkamel
Jun 3, 2011, 05:31 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I still don't really understand the point of the cloud. I want my data on my hard drive. Streamed or synced is fine... Last thing I need is someone accessing my stuff, or me depending on wifi/3G speed and presence for my stuff.

I've never seen anything the cloud can do that a little foresight, know how and a backup drive cant. And I'm pretty sure everyone should have those three things.

sunspot42
Jun 3, 2011, 05:48 PM
Content you buy from iTunes can be accessed or streamed from Apple's cloud server to any Apple device you own anytime, anywhere, for $25 a year.

Your own local content, including stuff you DIDN'T buy from Apple, can be streamed from your Time Machine to any Apple device anytime, anywhere for free. (Apple's cloud server would probably hold the media catalog, but the media itself would dwell on your Time Machine connected to your network and would stream directly from there - which is great, since there's no need to leave your PC on 24/7.)

That way you cover both scenarios in a way that keeps everyone - record labels, movie studios and end users - reasonably happy.

xappeal
Jun 3, 2011, 06:10 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Any chance the device IS the Apple TV 2. 8gb to hold updates and apps, the rest handled by iCloud.

I does have Ethernet in, wireless N and is already in the hands of a million users.

Just a though.

Awjvail
Jun 3, 2011, 06:21 PM
I'm hoping for an AppleTV style price drop on the Time Capsule... $300 is overpriced, even for an Apple product.

Also, maybe aluminum instead of plastic?

fat jez
Jun 3, 2011, 06:23 PM
I'm hoping for an AppleTV style price drop on the Time Capsule... $300 is overpriced, even for an Apple product.

Especially now the price difference between a 1TB and 2TB drive is minimal

r00fus
Jun 3, 2011, 06:33 PM
This is interesting, but... maybe not.

What I Hope: Apple is using A4/5 + IOS because it provides a powerful, flexible, extensible environment. The new TC is an extensible media server that can handle 3rd-party services, protocols and content.

What I Expect: Apple is only using A4/5 processor + IOS because it's convenient. The new TC has some really nice but limited media serving capabilities and is not extensible.

Don't underestimate the jailbreakers.

This could still be big for those willing to go where Apple was contractually forbidden from going.

Laird Knox
Jun 3, 2011, 06:35 PM

That is because they have been saving it for the iPad. The iPad 3 will combine all the features of the Time Capsule with the aTV. :D

Lukeyy19
Jun 3, 2011, 06:43 PM
i hope they put a modem in the things too, that is my only gripe with the Airport Extreme/Time Capsule, however good they are, they'll only be as good online as the modem attached to it.

AidenShaw
Jun 3, 2011, 07:02 PM
If one does a RAID configuration, i suggest not using a pre-configured RAID in the same housing, as a hardware failure could get both of them, whereas two separate enclosures in RAID configuration should be less vulnerable to that.

Note that running RAID-1 arrays across multiple external drives creates additional failure modes such as operator error in unplugging a cable. You may reduce reliability. (Windows won't allow RAID on USB or 1394 drives at all for this reason.)

It's also surprising that you had physical failures of two drives at the same time. It's quite possible that only one drive failed, but operator error during recovery accidentally wiped the good drive. Many drives have strict procedures that need to be followed to recover after a drive failure.

It's also quite possible that one of the drives had been dead for weeks or months - but the operators didn't notice the failure until the second drive failed.

If you go the external route, consider RAID 1+1 with two RAID enclosures. (Run the internal RAID-1 in each enclosure, and run RAID-1 in software across the enclosures.) You'll be protected from an enclosure failure, and up to 3 drives failing.

And of course, backup.

bearcatrp
Jun 3, 2011, 07:23 PM
Might as well turn it into a ATV with plenty of room for your movies and music. A 2TB drive ATV would work for me.

maclaptop
Jun 3, 2011, 07:26 PM
i've been using it for a long time and have never had any problems.
+1

-LikesMac-
Jun 3, 2011, 07:36 PM
Of course, more space (2TB to 3TB)? They should add tri-band wifi (unless it already has), and Thunderbolt connection. Imagine how fast backups would go to the harddrive with Thunderbolt XD

Cougarcat
Jun 3, 2011, 07:55 PM
Imagine how fast backups would go to the harddrive with Thunderbolt XD

You'd be limited by your wireless connection speed.

-LikesMac-
Jun 3, 2011, 07:59 PM
You'd be limited by your wireless connection speed.

There's no such thing as wired backups? ?_?

Cougarcat
Jun 3, 2011, 08:16 PM
There's no such thing as wired backups? ?_?

Thunderbolt is also ten times faster than gigabit ethernet. So to take advantage of the thunderbolt speed with an external air disk, you would need two thunderbolt connections: one to connect the device to your mac, and the other for the drive. I think it's unlikely that they would do this as it would have limited utility--no affordable thunderbolt drives on the market yet, and none have been announced.

I could potentially see them including a thunderbolt port for Time Capsule, though (along with a couple USB ports). Since the disk is internal, you would need just one port.

bradbootz
Jun 3, 2011, 08:30 PM
Does anyone else think it is a dumb idea to have your router/firewall serve that purpose (the HDMI bit)? So now instead of having an ATV that can be moved around or turned off, I now have my router/firewall that had to be right where my cable/dsl modem is and can't be turned off serve that purpose. Who has their cable/dsl modem in their living room anyways?

I agree. Despite my personal :apple:TV and Time Capsule sitting on the same shelf, not many others I know have their router near their TV (usually on a desk in a different room).

It would work for myself and a few others but I think Apple's recently learned strategy is to price low and go for volume (in markets where price low still earns profits). An :apple:TV or an AirPort Extreme individually for $99 is an easier sell than a combined product for $199.

Cougarcat
Jun 3, 2011, 08:36 PM
It would work for myself and a few others but I think Apple's recently learned strategy is to price low and go for volume (in markets where price low still earns profits). An :apple:TV or an AirPort Extreme individually for $99 is an easier sell than a combined product for $199.

This. I have no use for an AppleTV (I don't even own a TV) and $199 is too much. But in a heartbeat, I'd pick up an iOS-based Airport with a couple USB ports for AirDisk and printing, for $99.

oiler
Jun 3, 2011, 08:38 PM
My 2 Cents/Dream/Guess: (no inside info)

I think we are going to see some incredible things come Monday. I think that
we could see an A5 based home server that will unlock that secret sector discovered on the A5. This will allow for hardware based virtualized versions of Lion apps and or iOS apps. These virtualized apps could be streamed to any
monitor via small thin client :apple:TV like device. iPad could also receive streamed apps. Printer/Scanner could be attached to any thin client anywhere in your house. Storage on home server or iCloud.

We will also see deep integration with Siri/Nuance that has the potential of
blowing us away.

This is why Apple needs the 500k square foot server farm in N.C. :)

AidenShaw
Jun 3, 2011, 08:48 PM
Thunderbolt is also ten times faster than gigabit ethernet. So to take advantage of the thunderbolt speed with an external air disk, you would need two thunderbolt connections: one to connect the device to your mac, and the other for the drive.

TBolt is ePCI, just like eSATA is "external SATA".

It's not a networking protocol. If you want TBolt speeds for networking, then get a TBolt to 10 GbE dongle for both ends, and a 10 GbE switch (which are running in the $700/port range today).

TBolt is for people who need boatloads of bandwidth, and can put the cost of it on their expense accounts.

HobeSoundDarryl
Jun 3, 2011, 09:01 PM
This. I have no use for an AppleTV (I don't even own a TV) and $199 is too much. But in a heartbeat, I'd pick up an iOS-based Airport with a couple USB ports for AirDisk and printing, for $99.

You guys are assuming wrong here. If the guts (hardware) are the same, it won't be adding $99 more to get it to $199. It will be running the :apple:TV software on the same core platform. If a new TC is going to be built on an A5 platform, and it's going to be an iTunes media central storage device (FINALLY!!!!), putting and HDMI & optical audio port on it is not going to add much cost at all (maybe $5). The rest is just software they already have running on the current :apple:TV. This iDevice platform is made to multitask a variety of apps. If they are going to leverage it as the new router update, why should it be limited to just a router app? Why not an iTunes Server app? :apple:TV? Time Capsule app? Maybe a few other surprises?

HobeSoundDarryl
Jun 3, 2011, 09:05 PM
Content you buy from iTunes can be accessed or streamed from Apple's cloud server to any Apple device you own anytime, anywhere, for $25 a year.

Your own local content, including stuff you DIDN'T buy from Apple, can be streamed from your Time Machine to any Apple device anytime, anywhere for free. (Apple's cloud server would probably hold the media catalog, but the media itself would dwell on your Time Machine connected to your network and would stream directly from there - which is great, since there's no need to leave your PC on 24/7.)

That way you cover both scenarios in a way that keeps everyone - record labels, movie studios and end users - reasonably happy.

I believe this is an excellent guess about a way to store iTunes purchased content in iCloud (one copy to feed all buyers) AND store all of your own rips, etc on a local "cloud" and let the software seamlessly blend the two. Then, all of your purchases can stream from North Carolina and all of the your non-purchases can just seem like they're in the same cloud. A little pogoplug-like functionality and this will work (and it resolves a lot of concerns about how long it would take to upload "everything", heavy bandwidth usage for downloads if "everything" is stored in North Carolina, etc).

I bet this is how they handle the personal (not purchased on iTunes) content issues.

HobeSoundDarryl
Jun 3, 2011, 09:13 PM
Doubtful. Apple TV with local storage isn't "next gen" - it's going back to the Apple TV 1st Generation model. Don't see Apple going back to that.

And when you say "no computer required".. an iOS Time Capsule with a few local hard disks IS a computer.. albeit a slightly smaller one. I have Mac Mini for that purpose already, and see no benefit whatsoever in replacing it with iOS Time Capsule ;)

With a Mac Mini being used in that way, YOU wouldn't need this. But then there's the rest of us.

Also as far as going back, look up the second gen nano, then the third, then the fourth. Sometimes, Apple does go from bigger form factor to smaller to bigger.

Besides, I don't imagine it would be pitched as the new :apple:TV. It's the new iTunes Media Server (though you know Apple will spin up some less tech-oriented name) that happens to double as an :apple:TV if you want your centralized media stored next to your TV.

If the A5 platform is used, running an :apple:TV app and a router app is no different than running a variety of apps on any other iDevice. Don't want to set it up next to the TV? No problem, set it up wherever you want to set it up as a router or as a time capsule and ignore the functionality (just like each of us runs some apps on iDevices but not others).

Point being if the rest of the hardware is there, putting an HDMI port and an optical out port on it doesn't make it cost much more (very little actually) yet makes it much more versatile for those that might want to position it next to their TV instead of wherever they store their router now. If it is going to be able to centralize all iTunes media and be an efficient bridge to all iTunes media in the iCloud, it would be a big value add to give it the software option to also double as an :apple:TV for those who are interested.

MagnusVonMagnum
Jun 3, 2011, 11:07 PM
Routers running iOS? That could be sweet for one big reason. The potentials for automation/serving with a hacked device. For example, currently you cannot run AppleTV off an NAS or UPnP device at least without hacking it to run XBMC, which means you must have a full computer running iTunes on 24/7 (or at least one ready to be woken by Lan). But a hacked Airport Extreme might be able to run a full iTunes (at some point anyway; I think the iOS versions are cut-rate) at some point and therefore operate the devices anyway (or maybe Apple will finally set it up themselves since this could easily preclude 3rd party hardware which is probably why they never let them use NAS type devices in the first place; they want your money for a router/NAS, even if they don't have one ready yet).

macdragonfl
Jun 3, 2011, 11:11 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_7; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.21.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.5 Safari/533.21.1)

Yes it is supported and it works exactly the same. I went with this option so I could increase drive size when needed.

caspersoong
Jun 4, 2011, 02:24 AM
Is this the weird device we saw in the Apple Store?

Cougarcat
Jun 4, 2011, 02:32 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_7; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.21.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.5 Safari/533.21.1)

Yes it is supported and it works exactly the same. I went with this option so I could increase drive size when needed.

http://http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.6/en/15139.html (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.6/en/15139.html) Doesn't look like it's supported, but good to know it works.

Kelmon
Jun 4, 2011, 04:02 AM
I'm not sure if this has already been posted (6+ pages of comments is too much for me to wade through) but I do hope that we'll be able to setup and administer an Airport/Time Capsule on an iOS device. I have no intention of giving up my iMac anytime soon but it would be convenient to be able to interact with my Airport Extreme without having to be in my office to do so. It would also be one less thing that would be needed so that giving up the computer itself would be possible.

fpnc
Jun 4, 2011, 05:00 AM
...But then there's the rest of us...Point being if the rest of the hardware is there, putting an HDMI port and an optical out port on it doesn't make it cost much more (very little actually) yet makes it much more versatile for those that might want to position it next to their TV instead of wherever they store their router now...
HobeSoundDarryl, would you like to revisit what you were strongly proclaiming 18 months ago when you insisted that Apple needed to ofter some form of Blu-ray and DVR support in the next Apple TV because you KNEW that was what the mass market really wanted?

Meanwhile, in that same thread (18 months ago) I proposed that the next Apple TV would be a simpler, steaming-only device, and then added that it would sure be nice if Apple also offered a standalone iTunes Server in a Time-Capsule-like format.

In any case, I do NOT expect that the next Time Capsule will offer HDMI and audio outputs (i.e. it won't add Apple-TV-like functions to its main purpose of being a file/media server). Probably the best we can hope for is that the next Time Capsule will have the ability to function as a full-fledged iTunes/media server that can be accessed both locally and over the internet (the latter being a personal cloud for your ripped CDs/DVDs and other files).

Then, beyond that, we could DREAM that they would offer that same iTunes server capability in a newly designed Airport Extreme (using the Extreme's externally attached storage). However, for a number of reasons I don't think Apple will allow that, the Extreme will probably remain a pretty standard wireless basestation and router with basic support for shared printing and storage.

They'll probably add support for AirPrint, so with one of the new Time Capsules or Airport Extremes you'll be able to print from an iPad/iPhone to just about any printer that is attached to either of those devices (i.e. no longer limited to HP's ePrint or needing a Mac to host the AirPrint service).

HobeSoundDarryl
Jun 4, 2011, 05:39 AM
HobeSoundDarryl, would you like to revisit what you were strongly proclaiming 18 months ago when you insisted that Apple needed to ofter some form of Blu-ray and DVR support in the next Apple TV because YOU knew that was what the mass market really wanted?

fpnc, don't be picking fights and very selectively choosing old comments. I have never said they should build in Blu-ray & DVR support. What I have always said CONSISTENTLY is that :apple:TV would be better if it had enough openess in the hardware that should third parties like Elgato want to build add-on OPTIONS for those interested in features like BD and/or DVR, it should have that flexibility.

I ABSOLUTELY think it would be a mistake to force features like those on everyone, but I have always maintained that since there are pockets of people who wished the old (and the new) one had more versatility for their own needs, it should be opened up for software apps (to extend the software beyond where Apple wants to take it) and hardware (to extend the versatility beyond where Apple wants to take it). Both would be OPTIONAL extensions for each user, yet it would make the device much more appealing to anyone and everyone interested, selling more units, which would be good for Apple too.

I'm a believer in giving markets of buyers what they want. If some people would like to buy ONE box and also have the OPTION to add BD and/or DVR functionality, it would be better for Apple to have some way to also get their money instead of having them choose a BD and/or DVR with that money (they're spending) that happens to have some of the other features of :apple:TV. More :apple:TV units entrenched in homes becomes increasingly motivating to Studios to put more and more content on :apple:TV.

I've also always been arguing for a 1080p platform as a somewhat "future proof" version as that is the max standard (and will likely be it for a long time). A 1080p :apple:TV will play 720p iTunes "HD" just fine, but a 720p MAX (Apple capped) platform can't really cover this the other way.

So here's a chance for that to finally be realized as well, as apparently the A5 can output 1080p finally bringing Apple's set top box up to a max standard long in place, and pitting its output quality "head to head" against the "bag of hurt". A 1080p version gives all of that quality crowd what they want while still making it possible for the "720p is good enough" people to squeeze every bit of picture quality out of 720p video like iTunes rentals.

If it doesn't show up next week, then the wait continues for a 1080p platform :apple:TV or a good alternative should one pop up. If they would release the :apple:TV software so that it would run on a Mac Mini (new front row), I'd probably have already gone that way. Whether this box can ever work as a BD and DVR, I personally could care less, but I do think that if there are still sizable pockets of buyers interested in it covering those bases too, having the OPTION for them to get what they want is better than locking it down and locking companies like Elgato out.

I (personally) want a 1080p :apple:TV to replace the 720p-capped version I bought in 2007. Your "uncanny vision" of something close to what was released in version 2 still missed my personal target so Apple didn't get my money. With this batch of new rumors, there appears to be some chance for a third version which, if involving the A5, might finally give me the easy Apple UI running on hardware that can play back 1080 HD video I've been shooting on camcorders since about 2004-5, processing with Apple movie software as 1080 HD video and importing into iTunes at 1080 where it will play back just fine. I STILL need that last link in the chain between iTunes and the 1080p HDTV.

I want to give Apple some money next week if they deliver something great. iCloud? Lion? Rumors of those have not exactly lit me up but maybe reality will exceed rumors. However, THIS rumor... this rumor is something that will open my wallet immediately if it comes with 1080p... or even if we get new boxes exactly the same as the version out now but with 1080p instead of the "you're holding it wrong" type spins on why 720p MAX should be good enough. 720p caps chosen for me doesn't get my money.

fpnc
Jun 4, 2011, 06:33 AM
fpnc, don't be picking fights and very selectively choosing old comments. I have never said they should build in Blu-ray & DVR support...
I said that you had argued for "some form of Blu-ray and DVR support," I didn't quote you as saying that they [Apple] "should build in Blu-ray & DVR support." There's a subtle but notable difference in those two statements which you went on to highlight in the remainder of your post.

In any case, sorry if you were offended. However, I think you may be guilty of calling the "kettle black" here since in one of the previous threads on the future directions of the Apple TV you characterized a "very selectively" extracted portion of one of my post as "a big load of crap." Given that, I took a little guilty pleasure in pointing out that my "crystal ball" on the future of the Apple TV seemed to be working a little better than yours (in this particular case, I'm not claiming to have been 100% correct in all of my ramblings). ;)

Well, case closed, I wasn't trying to pick a fight (as you put it), just recalling contrasts from the past.

Gradivus
Jun 4, 2011, 07:21 AM

Tiny $99 black boxes. Check, though the colour is not important.

no onboard storage. Check

Put a bunch of USB ports on the back. Check, but you need a $10 USB hub

all compatible with external hard drives or printers. Check.

Kill the Airport Extreme. Errm? What you have just described matches the current Airport Extreme spec perfectly.

twoodcc
Jun 4, 2011, 08:35 AM
now this sounds pretty cool. i hope something like this happens

HobeSoundDarryl
Jun 4, 2011, 09:21 AM
Given that, I took a little guilty pleasure in pointing out that my "crystal ball" on the future of the Apple TV seemed to be working a little better than yours (in this particular case, I'm not claiming to have been 100% correct in all of my ramblings). ;)

Great. I never laid claim that the :apple:TV I described in those discussions would be the one I expected Apple to build. Apple builds things as they want their market to like them. If there are issues, we're "holding it wrong" or a format that provides higher resolution HD is a "bag of hurt", etc. If we don't like what they build as the "4th leg of the table" it later becomes a "hobby".

I bow to your brilliance in forecasting the :apple:TV that ended up being version 2. Because it failed to tap into the ONE benefit (1080p capability) that mattered to me personally, Apple did not get my money like it could have easily done "18 months ago". Because it was just as locked down as the first gen version, those wishing for options like BD and DVR functionality probably didn't buy one either as the version provided missed what they were hoping for too. So perhaps you and those who are happy with it as Apple dishes it out bought one and enjoyed it. Congratulations. Apple could have just sold a lot more of them if they had given it the ability to be extended by third parties (like I suggested).

So now, we have 3 working rumors of big things to be announced next week: iCloud, Lion and maybe some kind of Time Capsule-like home cloud device. The rumors surrounding iCloud seem nice but the flaw is in the cost of connecting to that iCloud anytime from anywhere (and this is not about what Apple wants to charge for iCloud). The iCloud begs for lots of streaming right when the owners of the pipes that connect to it are ramping up the tolls for bandwidth. That can't end well.

So far (IMO), Lion seems rather thin on the "gee whiz". I'd be expecting a big leap in features & benefits since Snow was mostly about underpinnings. Apple has had the time between Leopard and Lion to innovate features & benefits for Lion. Yet what has been shown so far seems thin (to me), apparently it's just about ready to be launched and developers are talking about it still having some ways to go to even be ready to launch. If it's about finished and rumors have been sparse about "wow" new features, is Apple doing a fantastic job of pinching off all rumor hints or is what we've already seen the potential lead benefits of what Lion is about?

Now some may be very excited about the above two, but I'm not feeling it myself based on all I've seen and read. However, just the hint of the possibility of a centralized iTunes server and maybe finally getting a 1080p-capable :apple:TV platform is very exciting (to me). Based on all I've seen & read about the big 3 to be rolled out next week, this is the one that has the best chance of getting my money on day 1. Perhaps the other 2 will look more appealing when fully revealed.

I already have an Airport and Time Capsule-like benefits with the attached drive. But I'd gladly pay a Time-Capsule like price premium for a centralized iTunes content server that might also double as a 1080p :apple:TV. Frankly, I'd be happy to pay the current Time Capsule price for the current :apple:TV with only a 1080p replacement chipset. Or I'd even pay up for a Mac Mini if Apple would roll out the :apple:TV interface as a new version of front row.

I'm sure I'll get to Lion and I'll wait to see if there is something truly "must have" with iCloud, but a central iTunes server seems like a great fit for lots of multi-computer households that use iTunes. I would think Apple could sell a lot of them.

roadbloc
Jun 4, 2011, 09:23 AM
Yey. Another thing to Jailbreak. :rolleyes:

frosty001
Jun 4, 2011, 09:26 AM
All this talk of iCloud Music services is fine. However a simple solution for the masses allowing you to stream your own collection from your own server is much more of a game changer.

Much, much more.

For all of iTunes success the majority of music filling up iPods and iTunes library's are not iTunes purchases, so the ability to only have access to those purchases, is a nice little trick, but not game changing in the slightest.

Amazon, Google, Spotify and the rest cannot mimic the home server idea a new Time Capsule could offer. Apple has to do this.

i would happily pay a fee for this service too, but not the ability to just access iTunes purchases. It's less than 1% of my collection.

HobeSoundDarryl
Jun 4, 2011, 09:45 AM
I really think these rumors of a new Time Capsule device almost has to be that (iTunes server). And I bet the solution Apple has developed seamlessly blends home media NOT purchased via iTunes and purchased iTunes media in the iCloud so that one cannot really tell the difference when streaming the media.

That solves so many of the issues of the dream of it all being up in the cloud vs. the reality of how unlikely it would probably be for the music industry to approve potentially pirated media being made as accessible via an iCloud. That's why I think the "scan our libraries of non-purchased content" concept can't really play out. As someone else posted, if there is some kind of "Scan my library" component of iCloud that then fully unlocks access to master copies of everything in libraries, the pirates can somewhat "legitimize" the thievery by apparently paying only $25 for iCloud. I just don't see that happening.

On the other hand, your own local cloud for non-purchased content and the rest in iCloud with software making on-the-go access to both seamless and everybody gets most of what they want in the iTunes-biased cloud concept.

In the end, the biggest winners are probably AT&T and Verizon as Apple's take on a replacement Time Capsule and potentially $25/year probably will be dwarfed by all these "I want to stream everything from the iCloud" people burning through 3G bandwidth like never before.

Awjvail
Jun 4, 2011, 10:08 AM
I hope the current capabilities stay the same as well, though. And at the same or a lower price point.

I've only got one main computer so iTunes streaming isn't really important to me. What I need is the Time Capsule backup solution so that all my stuff isn't lost when my Mac craps out.

And I DON'T want it in the cloud. I don't feel like downloading 500gb of data when I want to restore my Mac.

Lesser Evets
Jun 4, 2011, 10:09 AM
But I'd gladly pay a Time-Capsule like price premium for a centralized iTunes content server that might also double as a 1080p :apple:TV. Frankly, I'd be happy to pay the current Time Capsule price for the current :apple:TV with only a 1080p replacement chipset.

I feel the same. Lack of 1080 on :apple:TV is the major flaw of the thing. I'd buy a new one for $99 if it came out with 1080. I'd buy a TimeMachine-AirPort-ATV for $299 if they get 1080.

Apple's lack of 1080 support shoves them back to 2005 territory. It's embarrassing--almost everyone has TVs that display 1080 high def. these days and soon everyone will have them. Yet Apple is still fooling with 720.

zedsdead
Jun 4, 2011, 10:10 AM
This is interesting. It will be the first iOS device not to use flash storage, or maybe it will have a hybrid setup.

SockRolid
Jun 4, 2011, 11:35 AM
[...]
Separately, we've heard an unconfirmed tip that iOS 5 may finally be bringing wireless syncing to iOS devices, including the intriguing claim that the wireless syncing could be performed directly with the new Time Capsules, bypassing the need to sync with a specific computer. [...]

Two things: first, bypassing the need to sync with a specific computer is the best way to enable iPad to actually replace traditional computers (for consumers.)

Second, Time Capsule running iOS 5 would be more or less like Apple TV with a large amount of storage. It would be perfect for sending video, wirelessly, to multiple devices around the house. From iPhone / iPod touch all the way up to 60"+ HDTV screens.

Maybe that's what Steve Jobs meant when he said that the only way to change the stagnant TV set-top box industry is to "start from scratch, tear up the box, and redesign and get it to the consumer in a way that they want to buy it."

SockRolid
Jun 4, 2011, 11:40 AM
I feel the same. Lack of 1080 on :apple:TV is the major flaw of the thing. [...]

Yes, most 1080p content is better-looking that 720p content. It all depends on how good the signal is.

But do you really want to deal with the 2x data throughput requirement? Because 1080p requires about 2x the data just for that marginal improvement in quality. If your ISP is fast enough, then hey, knock yourself out. Many people's ISPs don't give them that kind of throughput.

tuna
Jun 4, 2011, 12:00 PM
I would just be excited because a router with an ARM Cortex processor in it will be much more powerful than the crap in the status quo linksys and netgear routers. I have owned 5 or more routers and not a single one could handle long term torrenting. They all freeze up sooner or later. Pieces of ****.

HobeSoundDarryl
Jun 4, 2011, 12:05 PM
But do you really want to deal with the 2x data throughput requirement? Because 1080p requires about 2x the data just for that marginal improvement in quality. If your ISP is fast enough, then hey, knock yourself out. Many people's ISPs don't give them that kind of throughput.

This argument has been hashed out 1000 times in other threads. Just because some want a 1080p :apple:TV doesn't automatically require that all ISPs everywhere must upgrade their hardware, nor that 1080p content must be forced on everyone, nor that iTunes must start offering 1080p content, etc, any more than putting the latest quad cores and graphics cards in new computers require all software everywhere be updated to take full advantage, or building combined 3G & 4G tech into iDevices requires 4G to be available everywhere one might go on the planet, etc.

If you are happy with 720p "as is", a 1080p :apple:TV will still be able to play your 720p content at it's fullest. Those of us that want the OPTION for 1080p playback can't make 720p capped hardware cover OUR desires. You lose NOTHING with a 1080p platform. Buyers like myself gets something applicable to our needs. And Apple sells more units to the crowd that doesn't agree that "720p is good enough".

To point though, in my own case, the #1 reason I want 1080p :apple:TV is because I've had >720p HDTVs for about 8 years now and I've been shooting precious home movies in 1080HD on consumer camcorders for about 6 years now. Apple gives us iMovie which can import it at 1080, edit it at 1080 and render a 1080 file. That file will go right into iTunes and play there just fine. It would be so nice if the LAST link between iTunes and my 1080HDTV could be an :apple:TV capable of passing those files along (rather than having to down convert them).

NOTE how I wouldn't even need access to the Internet at all (ZERO bandwidth requirements) for that to work, nor would iTunes have to rent 1080p content, nor would YOU have to deal with 1080p storage issues, etc. But even if Apple decided to allow the addition of 1080 content to iTunes, it would just be an OPTION, much like you can still choose between 720p and SD options for most of the video in the store now. Don't want to download the bigger file? Choose the 720p or SD version. Constrained Internet connection where you live? Choose the 720p or SD option version. Not enough hard drive space for the 1080p version? Ditto. Etc.

sampdoria
Jun 4, 2011, 01:43 PM
If the Time Capsules run iOS, there will be so much potential for media streaming. Especially once the jailbreak community gets a hold of it. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this is implemented.

All this talk of iCloud Music services is fine. However a simple solution for the masses allowing you to stream your own collection from your own server is much more of a game changer.

Much, much more.

For all of iTunes success the majority of music filling up iPods and iTunes library's are not iTunes purchases, so the ability to only have access to those purchases, is a nice little trick, but not game changing in the slightest.

Amazon, Google, Spotify and the rest cannot mimic the home server idea a new Time Capsule could offer. Apple has to do this.

i would happily pay a fee for this service too, but not the ability to just access iTunes purchases. It's less than 1% of my collection.

You can stream movies stored in the Time Capsule to iOS devices without jailbreaking and equally as important without iTunes. It requires an app called "Air Video" (free or paid version) installed on your iOS device and "Air Video Server (beta)" (this is free too) installed on your Mac or PC. I've been doing this for some time and now and it works very nicely with no problems!

Basically it lets you stream movies of any format (m4v, avi, mkv, etc) from wherever it is stored (the Time Capsule in this case) to any iOS device through wifi or remote access! And if you have an ATV, you can AirPlay it from your iOS device to ATV. All of this without intervening iTunes or jailbreaking. You do need to have "Air Video Server" running on your computer though and I do wish it did other media besides video, such as music, photos, PDFs, docs, etc. I've read "Orb" can do this, but it does not AirPlay and seems buggy (it gets bad reviews).

I would welcome from Apple the ability to stream media to iOS devices, locally and remotely, directly from the TC (or AEBS) without the need of iTunes or a Mac or PC running. You can still remote access from a Mac to the TC through afp protocol which I do a lot of as well. In the meantime, I get by with Air Video pretty nicely.

Lesser Evets
Jun 4, 2011, 01:46 PM
If your ISP is fast enough, then hey, knock yourself out. Many people's ISPs don't give them that kind of throughput.

Sure is fast enough. But, that's aside from the point: the tech of ATV is lagging the reality of the TV. Who doesn't want the best available? Apple should cater.

fpnc
Jun 4, 2011, 02:28 PM
We may be running a bit too far with these rumors concerning the changes to the Time Capsule and/or Airport Extreme. Given the range of reports that we've seen so far I don't think that there is any reason to expect a new Apple-TV-like device with attached storage.

At best, Apple may offer a newly redesigned Time Capsule with standalone media streaming capabilities for use within your local network. But, it could be too much to expect for Apple to provide a service that would allow you to stream your locally-hosted content out over the internet. I'd very much like to see such functionality but as with nearly all Apple rumors the reality will probably not meet with the loftier speculation.

HobeSoundDarryl
Jun 4, 2011, 05:05 PM
At best, Apple may offer a newly redesigned Time Capsule with standalone media streaming capabilities for use within your local network. But, it could be too much to expect for Apple to provide a service that would allow you to stream your locally-hosted content out over the internet. I'd very much like to see such functionality but as with nearly all Apple rumors the reality will probably not meet with the loftier speculation.

http://www.pogoplug.com/ I bet Apple could do this better.

New Time Capsules on A5 seem to be a miss-timed rumor if all they are are new TCs. An iTunes-centric iCloud would be a big let down if they can't resolve the non-iTunes-purchased content issue. I almost can't imagine that the music industry would approve any kind of access to one master copy of everything on our computers if there was not some solid way to verify it was purchased media- even if Apple gave them a couple hundred million each and all of the rumored $25/yr.

Apple should easily anticipate the big complaint about iCloud iTunes if it is limited to just iTunes-purchased content. Massive digital lockers for us all to upload our entire libraries don't seem to be the way (besides, then Apple would run the risk of hosting and facilitating pirated music if it's stored on their servers- something that will probably come to bite Amazon & Google's version of this soon). I doubt some "terms of service" could be structured to completely "hold harmless" Apple along these lines.

Now, pull all that together. Deliver an iTunes server option within this new TC replacement. Lots of multi-computer & iDevice households would probably be interested in a Drobo/Unraid simplified by Apple (besides only Apple can do one that can fully cover the protections for media demanded by the owners of the media purchased from the iTunes store). It seems to be a simple solution: a local cloud for non-iTunes purchased media (on a home server each person owns) and a central iCloud (on servers Apple owns) for purchased iTunes media blended seamlessly so that users can't even notice what bits of your media are streaming from each cloud. The legal issue remains "as is" now, with people making their own decisions about putting their non-iTunes-purchased media in their own cloud (Apple would have a literally (very long) arms reach relationship between a central iCloud and each user's local iCloud). Lastly, if this functionality is hardware dependent, it creates a pretty tangible reason for many to BUY NEW HARDWARE to replace AEBS and TCs in place now.

I could see all this next week to make iCloud have much greater appeal.

It is harder to see the :apple:TV possibilities mixed in as well. But then again, if it really is going to centrally store all of a households iTunes media in one place, adding an HDMI and optical audio port out and multitasking some software already running on the very same iOS hardware platform would not be complicated or costly.

Lastly, if A5 can push out 1080p it seems a waste to not leverage it in some kind of updated :apple:TV device. If not next week, then hope should build for the Fall.

Note: your prediction has a much better chance than the above non-prediction of panning out. However, just like that 1080p discussion from 18 months ago, something more like the above will draw money out of my pocket to replace the AEBS w/attached hard drive I use now. If it's just new TCs on different hardware (much like the "new" 720p capped AppleTV relative to its 720p capped predecessor), it seems my money would stay put (again). More simply, my money would be all over a 1080p AppleTV and/or a centralized iTunes server rolled out next week, next month or next year. I fully understand that I alone am not a market, but I doubt on THOSE 1-2 products that a market for them is only 1 person deep.

jonnysods
Jun 4, 2011, 06:08 PM
Pleeeeease let existing users run a software update if this is true.

manu chao
Jun 4, 2011, 06:22 PM
You can stream movies stored in the Time Capsule to iOS devices without jailbreaking and equally as important without iTunes. It requires an app called "Air Video" (free or paid version) installed on your iOS device and "Air Video Server (beta)" (this is free too) installed on your Mac or PC. I've been doing this for some time and now and it works very nicely with no problems!
I have done it myself but the actual streaming (ie, the intelligence, the processing, the actual code running that makes that possible) is done by your computer (which has to be on). Of course, your computer can pull the actual files from anywhere, including a NAS like the TC, and of course, the WiFi router over which your iOS devices connect can be a TC.

This TC as iTunes home server suggested by this rumour has one neat convenience nobody mentioned so far (maybe it is too obvious): If you use your TC already for TM and don't exclude your media library, all the files are already on your TC, ie, no extra space is needed for this.

chercm
Jun 4, 2011, 07:11 PM
Pleeeeease let existing users run a software update if this is true.

same feeling here too ....

Brettatkinson
Jun 4, 2011, 08:28 PM
Man i hope this is true. I just bought a AEBS. I really wanted to get a Time Capsule but was swayed by all the negative reviews. So if they roll out a new line of Time Capsules then i'm stoked and will return my AEBS. :) :apple:

paduck
Jun 4, 2011, 08:49 PM

RAID is about availability, not really security. Also, if the box is closed (which is what Apple does) that would further limit it's utility.

I'd like to see Cloud backup ala Crashpoint and an Apple Home Server so that I don't need all these redundant hard drives.

paduck
Jun 4, 2011, 08:58 PM
Can apple even afford nintendo? I don't think so

They can't quite do it for an all-cash deal, but Apple stock is riding high, so it would be easy to buy it in a stock-swap.

modit
Jun 4, 2011, 11:30 PM
Man i hope this is true. I just bought a AEBS. I really wanted to get a Time Capsule but was swayed by all the negative reviews. So if they roll out a new line of Time Capsules then i'm stoked and will return my AEBS. :) :apple:

+1

I'm doing the exact same thing :D

fpnc
Jun 5, 2011, 02:16 AM
http://www.pogoplug.com/ I bet Apple could do this better...
I have a Pogoplug Pro and while I think the hardware is fairly nice their iOS software is pretty bad. I've struggled for months to get it to work reliably over 3G and day-to-day I never know whether it is going to work or not. It's really ashamed since they had some good ideas but they never seemed to be able to get their service to work well under iOS (YMMV, some have reported that it works well for them). In any case, if Apple introduces some type of home server that can stream content out over the internet then I'm going to give my Pogoplug a quick kick to the side of the road.

Tup
Jun 5, 2011, 04:44 AM
How do you think it'll work if you have multiple accounts throughout the household?

Will the cloud be able to provide streaming from all official media even if it's a combination of two accounts worth or would you need to pay for two?

Sounds interesting though and will check in tomorrow to see what is revealed.

AndyR
Jun 5, 2011, 06:11 AM
The new iCloud logo looks like a brushed aluminum time capsule from the top down....

paduck
Jun 5, 2011, 07:11 AM

I bet the Mac will do it as well. Who knows? We'll find out tomorrow.

zzmd
Jun 5, 2011, 10:50 AM
Really do not want to purchase a time machine unless reduce cost like apple tv 2. I can use 3rd party apps to stream video and music with much less cost.

mozumder
Jun 5, 2011, 06:22 PM
I think this will be the new Apple TV.

Steve Jobs hates excessive devices, and I think he sees both AppleTV and Airports as excessive in one living room - too complicated to wire, set up, etc..

Might as well add Apple TV functionality to Airports, since the hardware is similar anyways, and most people get Airport extremes instead of Apple TVs.

This could really kick-up the sales of the Apple TV concept.

ct2k7
Jun 5, 2011, 06:26 PM
Really do not want to purchase a time machine unless reduce cost like apple tv 2. I can use 3rd party apps to stream video and music with much less cost.

Apple TV costs are horrible in the UK.

$99 => £84.87

£84.87 == $138.41

ok... but still.

cmaier
Jun 5, 2011, 06:37 PM
Apple TV costs are horrible in the UK.

$99 => £84.87

£84.87 == $138.41

ok... but still.

Shouldn't have lost the Revolutionary War.

ct2k7
Jun 5, 2011, 06:45 PM

£ > $. Shouldn't be spending more than there is in the kitty.

cmaier
Jun 5, 2011, 07:26 PM
£ > $. Shouldn't be spending more than there is in the kitty.

What's this have to do with cats? ;-)

ct2k7
Jun 5, 2011, 07:32 PM
What's this have to do with cats? ;-)

kitty = bank. English (Brit.) slang.

Talking of cats... where the heck is my cat? He's usually sitting on me at this time of day.

cmaier
Jun 5, 2011, 07:33 PM
kitty = bank. English (Brit.) slang.

Talking of cats... where the heck is my cat? He's usually sitting on me at this time of day.

Oh. Here in America we call banks "pawn shops."

ct2k7
Jun 5, 2011, 08:22 PM
Oh. Here in America we call banks "pawn shops."

I see where this has come from.

I need to learn some more key phrases before I may move out.

kppolich
Jun 5, 2011, 09:26 PM

literally made me laugh out loud. looks like i'll be watching the patriot tonight. woot!

hitekalex
Jun 6, 2011, 08:29 PM
So I guess no Time Capsule updates whatsoever this time around. Too bad - this was probably the rumor that I found most interesting of all.

Hope they just weren't ready to announce and iOS based iCloud-enabled TC is still in our future!