PDA

View Full Version : Apple Has Hired MobileNotifier Developer Peter Hajas

MacRumors
Jun 3, 2011, 01:18 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/03/apple-has-hired-mobilenotifier-developer-peter-hajas/)

The speculation began last week when iPhoneinCanada posted (http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/jailbreak/peter-hajas-stops-work-on-mobilenotifier-but-cant-say-why-cydia/) that it believes that mobile developer Peter Hajas has started working for Apple. A developer getting a new job at Apple would not be newsworthy in itself, but Hajas was the developer of a popular jailbreak notification add-on for iOS. iPhoneinCanada describes how earlier versions of the MobileNotifier add-on works: Now, there's a hot tweak called MobileNotifier (beta 3 release) via Cydia that makes notifications unobtrusive and allows you to keep using existing apps. An elegant bar appears up top of your homescreen and with one tap you can choose to close or open the notification. Alerts will also appear on your lockscreen. When you double tap the Home button, you'll see a list of your recent alerts via the AlertDashboard.And associated video:

Fpy0IeaQmz8
Peter Hajas doesn't come right out and say that he's now working Apple but did post a cryptic update to his blog (http://www.peterhajas.com/blog/2011/5/27/taking-a-break.html) saying that he will be taking a break from MobileNotifier for a while due to other opportunities.

RedmondPie (http://www.redmondpie.com/developer-behind-jailbreak-tweak-mobile-notifier-takes-indefinite-break-joining-apple/) has since discovered a (now deleted) Tweet posted in early May by Hajas saying that he would be heading off to work in California at a "fruit" company. Meanwhile, we've also independently confirmed that Hajas is now an employee at Apple.

Apple is rumored to be improving iOS's notification system in the next version of iOS to be detailed at WWDC, and a report (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/11/apple-acquiring-ios-developer-to-revamp-notification-system/) from mid-February had indicated that Apple was hiring an unnamed outside developer to revamp notifications, although it is unknown if that person was indeed Hajas. Regardless, Apple has certainly already worked heavily on such a system prior to this hire, but it's still interesting nonetheless.

Article Link: Apple Has Hired MobileNotifier Developer Peter Hajas (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/03/apple-has-hired-mobilenotifier-developer-peter-hajas/)

TheOrioles33
Jun 3, 2011, 01:21 PM
Excellent! Good for him! Heres to iOS5!!

Cougarcat
Jun 3, 2011, 01:22 PM
If this guy was only just hired, I hope that doesn't mean notifications are a no-show in iOS 5.

jap1198
Jun 3, 2011, 01:24 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

I can't wait to see what the new notif. system is like. :D

milamber
Jun 3, 2011, 01:25 PM
It's good that he has been hired because that means what we already have through MobileNotifier will be the MINIMUM and hopefully the revamped notifications will be even better!

cere
Jun 3, 2011, 01:25 PM
This is great news. I've used MobileNotifier for a while. It is a little rough around the edges in someways, but the functionality is awesome. I am holding off on getting to excited though. As Cougarcat says, if he was just hired, he probably won't have time to contribute much to iOS5. They hired the guy that architected the notification system in PalmOS (best around so far) almost 2 years ago, I think, and we haven't seen any improvements since then.

neko girl
Jun 3, 2011, 01:28 PM
Congrats.

Jailbreaking adds usefulness to iOS? Now Apple thinks so too.

chrmjenkins
Jun 3, 2011, 01:30 PM
If this guy was only just hired, I hope that doesn't mean notifications are a no-show in iOS 5.

There has been news of them gobbling up notification gurus for the past year alongside talks of notifications in iOS5. They got Palm's notification UI designer, they got this guy and there's rumors that they were involved with boxcar too. They are serious about getting notifications made over and I'm willing to bet it's for iOS5.

Palm's notification system: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zplVSI0M93o (keep in mind this is two years old)

Pechente
Jun 3, 2011, 01:30 PM
This is a horrible notification system, I hope Apple won't implement this in iOS 5 but comes up with something new.

Having to tap a notification in order for it to disappear is a subpar solution and not any better than Apple's current notification system. Also read this blog post written by a designer: http://blog.cocoia.com/2011/notify/

ChazUK
Jun 3, 2011, 01:31 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-gb; Nexus S Build/GRJ22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Looks like Apple have bagged a great developer with some good ideas there.

Congratulations to Peter too. :)

FriarNurgle
Jun 3, 2011, 01:31 PM
*Golf clap*

lifeinhd
Jun 3, 2011, 01:33 PM
A few weeks ago on this site, there was a story about Apple sending out surveys to some of its customers. I was one of these customers. When they asked me for one thing they could do to improve, I suggested instead of fighting jailbreakers, work with them to see why they jailbreak, and implement those things. That should cut down on jailbreaking, obviously a plus for them. Glad to see they took my suggestion!

Reach9
Jun 3, 2011, 01:34 PM
There has been news of them gobbling up notification gurus for the past year alongside talks of notifications in iOS5. They got Palm's notification UI designer, they got this guy and there's rumors that they were involved with boxcar too. They are serious about getting notifications made over and I'm willing to bet it's for iOS5.

I agree.

I do think that Apple has already worked on a notification system (please god), and Peter Hajas will help "update" it, and nothing else.
Are you telling me Apple couldn't set up a notification system on their own and had to get this developer to do it? What about the designer from WebOS?
The deal-breaker for iOS 5 is a notification system.

Bilbo63
This is great news. I've used MobileNotifier for a while. It is a little rough around the edges in someways, but the functionality is awesome. I am holding off on getting to excited though. As Cougarcat says, if he was just hired, he probably won't have time to contribute much to iOS5. They hired the guy that architected the notification system in PalmOS (best around so far) almost 2 years ago, I think, and we haven't seen any improvements since then.

Just thinking out loud here... If he has already developed this system and it's been working on jail broken devices, would it really be that hard to tweak it a bit if required and get it working on iOS5?

Wouldn't most of the hard work be done already?

I'm willing to bet that we'll see at least some of his efforts in iOS5.

Then again, I could be wrong.

Apple...
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.13548/24.871; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Interesting concept, but it definitely needs work. Here's to hoping iOS 5 is the best update yet! ;)

Sky Blue
Jun 3, 2011, 01:35 PM
It looks better than what is in iOS right now, but it still seems quite intrusive.

alexhasfun28
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

that's horrible! I've seen way better notifications. Like the one you can see all your notifications when awake your phone (before you unlock it) and you're able to swipe across a notification and it'll take you directly to it!

CrAkD
hopefully they already have notifications taken care of and hes just coming in to help maintain cause mobile notifier kind of sucked.

Kentochan
Jun 3, 2011, 01:36 PM
Jailbreaking for the win! iOS 5 sounds like a winner in terms of notifications.

Full of Win
Jun 3, 2011, 01:38 PM
Perhaps Apple will use a little paperclip to give messages. Can't see how anything could be as bad as the modal, focus stealing notification system used now.

hitekalex
Jun 3, 2011, 01:40 PM
So maybe this will make Apple appreciate the value that the Jailbreaking community and "unsanctioned" developers like Mr.Hajas bring to the table?

Perhaps they will even becomea bit less gung-ho about in closing off JB opportunities and make the future iOS devices a bit more "open" to experimental developers? Ah, who am I kidding!

Žalgiris
Jun 3, 2011, 01:44 PM
So basically iOS needs Growl implemented?

Andy-V
Jun 3, 2011, 01:44 PM
That's hardly better than what we have. A notification should pause a game if it pops up for reasons I really don't need to state.

They should follow android on this one and have notifications as a pull down menu from the status bar. So when you're playing a game or something there's actually no interruption at all, literally just a little icon to say "hey, there's something to read over here" and then you can choose to view it rather than have it forced onto the screen.

Apple...
Jun 3, 2011, 01:48 PM
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.13548/24.871; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

that's horrible! I've seen way better notifications. Like the one you can see all your notifications when awake your phone (before you unlock it) and you're able to swipe across a notification and it'll take you directly to it!

Oh yeah! I forgot about that one. That one's super cool, mainly because it makes good use of the lock screen.

Superdrive
Jun 3, 2011, 01:48 PM
Now it takes TWO taps to dismiss the notification instead of one. Hopefully once Apple gets their hands on it, they can do an auto-dismiss after three seconds or so. This is a literal case of one step forward and two steps backward.

grantsdale
Jun 3, 2011, 01:49 PM

Exactly what I thought when I read the article. If he's only been there since mid-May, that means they still need help doing the notifications, and the demo on Monday might not include them.

tfskora
Jun 3, 2011, 01:52 PM
the new version of mobile notifier is much better than what is shown in this video.

Dcuellar
Jun 3, 2011, 01:55 PM
Macrumors should have posted the video for beta 5 which included a better implementation and new features like replying to text messages.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-mP0CCytmoM

I agree, still not top notch, but we're talking about what one developer was able to do without the use of all of Apple's resources.

cosmokanga2
Jun 3, 2011, 01:56 PM
The current version is way better than what is shown in the article. His blog (http://www.peterhajas.com/blog/2011/5/29/mobilenotifier-beta5-ecstatic-eggo.html) has images as well as this video:

YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mP0CCytmoM&feature=player_embedded)

thejadedmonkey
Jun 3, 2011, 02:00 PM
Now it takes TWO taps to dismiss the notification instead of one. Hopefully once Apple gets their hands on it, they can do an auto-dismiss after three seconds or so. This is a literal case of one step forward and two steps backward.

That's what Windows Phone uses, and it works rather well, but I must say I prefer the Android notification system as it doesn't get too distracting if you have a bunch of notifications coming in at once.

Also, this is normal for Apple. They did the same thing for iTunes, buying up the developer of.. I think it was songbird, giving them a position at Apple, and turning their app into an iLife app.

T-Will
Jun 3, 2011, 02:00 PM
A notification revamp should be there Monday.

Apple hires webOS notification UI designer - June 9, 2010
http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/06/09/apple.hints.at.new.ui.for.ios.notifications/

http://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ie=UTF-8&ion=1&nord=1#sclient=psy&hl=en&nord=1&site=webhp&source=hp&q=apple+hires+webos+notification+designer&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=6782d3fc39a1f682&ion=1&biw=1428&bih=373&safe=active

Abyssgh0st
Jun 3, 2011, 02:04 PM
This is really encouraging. I've followed Peter Hajas' blog for awhile, and I'm interested to see what Apple will do with him.

mikejfrd
Jun 3, 2011, 02:07 PM
Having the ability to respond to a text without leaving the ap you're in is a wonderful thing. It may not be as pretty as apple can make it in it's current form, but it works! What's the point of a notification if I can't respond to it without exiting the current ap im in? Without that feature it mine as well just "beep" to inform you that a new message is in.

iFanaddic
Jun 3, 2011, 02:11 PM
At the risk of sounding like Kanye West..

I'm really happy for Mr. Hajas, but David Ashman has the best notification system of all time. imo.

Here's my homescreen, my icons start on screen 2.

clancemasterj
Jun 3, 2011, 02:11 PM
So maybe this will make Apple appreciate the value that the Jailbreaking community and "unsanctioned" developers like Mr.Hajas bring to the table?

Perhaps they will even becomea bit less gung-ho about in closing off JB opportunities and make the future iOS devices a bit more "open" to experimental developers? Ah, who am I kidding!

My thoughts exactly. I'm glad apple is paying attention.

eekcat
Jun 3, 2011, 02:15 PM

I'm really happy for Mr. Hajas, but David Ashman has the best notification system of all time. imo.

Exactly - LockInfo is the primary reason I've jailbroken my iphone/3/3gs/4. It's ridiculous that I have to turn on my phone, unlock, and punch in a passcode (yes, I know I can skip the passcode) then go into an app to see what's on tap.

acslater017
Jun 3, 2011, 02:18 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Bleh this one demoed is just as bad as the existing system. It blocks an entire row of apps! Or a whole strip of screen off your game...

No way iOS 5 will use this. It's neat that you can keep working, but that's about it. webOS and Honeycomb both have way better implementations. Apple's will have to at least match those, if not exceed it.

cere
Jun 3, 2011, 02:19 PM
Just thinking out loud here... If he has already developed this system and it's been working on jail broken devices, would it really be that hard to tweak it a bit if required and get it working on iOS5?

They probably could simply drop it in as a replacement to the existing APN subsystem. But it really would have to be refined a fair bit to fit with Apple's level of polish, in both implementation and UI.

It's definitely not perfect. It does offer Lock Screen notifications, so you can see all of your pending notifications. I am using LockInfo for that functionality, as I like the rest of their LockScreen functionality. Intelliscreen is pretty good for that too.

lemoncrsh
Jun 3, 2011, 02:22 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

NutsNGum
Jun 3, 2011, 02:24 PM
Congratulations to him. I hope he does well from it, mobilenotifier changed the way I use my iPhone, I can't imagine using it without now.

ciTiger
Jun 3, 2011, 02:27 PM
If this is true then a major "flaw" in iOS will get fixed!

LoganT
Jun 3, 2011, 02:28 PM

Apple hired the guy who did the Palm WebOs notifications last year.

iFanaddic
A notification revamp should be there Monday.

Apple hires webOS notification UI designer - June 9, 2010
http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/06/09/apple.hints.at.new.ui.for.ios.notifications/

http://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ie=UTF-8&ion=1&nord=1#sclient=psy&hl=en&nord=1&site=webhp&source=hp&q=apple+hires+webos+notification+designer&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=6782d3fc39a1f682&ion=1&biw=1428&bih=373&safe=active

Apple might announce ios5 monday monday but I highly doubt they'll release it the same day.

Dcuellar
I know I'm setting myself up to be disappointed, but god I love the concepts in this iOS5 concept video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pyg0oTzYeE

iFanaddic
Jun 3, 2011, 02:32 PM
I know I'm setting myself up to be disappointed, but god I love the concepts in this iOS5 concept video...

Wow! Apple hasn't amazed me like this video did in a while

Žalgiris
Jun 3, 2011, 02:35 PM

Most things take too many taps in that video. Settings as apps on screen? Not right.

acslater017
Jun 3, 2011, 02:38 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks for the link. Yea, that first one was as bad as the current system. But that more recent release looks much better. I'm very curious how multitasking, notifications, widgets, etc. will come together.

CherryJello
Jun 3, 2011, 02:38 PM
Obviously if there are new notifications coming next week, they would have been working on them for months, and this guy getting hired at the last minute will probably have no input on what we'll see at the Keynote.

My guess is that Apple's new notification system works/looks exactly like how this guy has done them, so they need to gobble him up because of legal reasons or their impressed by his design and programming skills and want that talent for future iOS updates.

Most likely it's the former. I don't think Apple tends to hire people out of the Jailbreaking community because they like too...more likely out of necessity.

Dcuellar
Jun 3, 2011, 02:42 PM
Most things take too many taps in that video. Settings as apps on screen? Not right.

I would welcome it. I would probably dedicate one of the pages to setting toggles. It's essentially the same thing as sbsettings.

F123D
Jun 3, 2011, 02:43 PM

I agree. I'm using LockInfo for the lockscreen notifications and infoshade (android like drop down to view all notifications on the springboard). Unintrusive icons in the statusbar remind you of missed calls, emails, etc.. without blocking your actual homescreen.

T-Will
Jun 3, 2011, 02:45 PM
Apple might announce ios5 monday monday but I highly doubt they'll release it the same day.

I wasn't saying we will get the update, I posted that to rebut people who were saying that if Apple just hired Hajas then that means we won't see a notification revamp.

F123D
Jun 3, 2011, 02:45 PM
I would welcome it. I would probably dedicate one of the pages to setting toggles. It's essentially the same thing as sbsettings.

Except Sbsettings would still be better. Drop down from any page no matter where you are on the phone is even more convenient than a page dedicated to settings.

Žalgiris
Jun 3, 2011, 02:50 PM

Yes, but the "small" differenceis that sbsettings hides when you don't need it and has all settings in one place where this approach leaves you with a screen full of wannabe settings apps. So if you want to change 3 settings you go through 3 apps? sbsettings one swipe to call it and 3 taps to change settings. Twice as fast.

MacSlut
Jun 3, 2011, 02:53 PM
The best part of this is that Apple hired a jailbreak app developer and the app he developed is still available in Cydia.

That means Apple didn't say, "before we consider hiring you, you need to remove that app, because we hate jailbreakers".

So maybe they're warming up to the community?

GorgonPhone
Jun 3, 2011, 03:07 PM
great for him now they need to hire the folks who made lock info..lol

Drag'nGT
Jun 3, 2011, 03:12 PM
Congrats.

Now we just need Multifl0w and Lock Info's creators to get hired on. :D

andy721
Jun 3, 2011, 03:18 PM
No landscape mode!

tigress666
Jun 3, 2011, 03:18 PM
I almost like that notification except I'd rather it actually pause my game when it pops up (I can imagine it causing me to die cause it pops up over where I need to put my finger right at that moment and the game keeps going and I'm not able to input anything in time). Other than that, it looks like something I'd like (still pops up and notifies me but lets me save it for later).

Here's a question, how does it handle it when you turn on the iphone and you have multiple notifications waiting?

Dcuellar
Jun 3, 2011, 03:22 PM
Except Sbsettings would still be better. Drop down from any page no matter where you are on the phone is even more convenient than a page dedicated to settings.

Yes, but the "small" differenceis that sbsettings hides when you don't need it and has all settings in one place where this approach leaves you with a screen full of wannabe settings apps. So if you want to change 3 settings you go through 3 apps? sbsettings one swipe to call it and 3 taps to change settings. Twice as fast.

Yeah, you guys are right. SBSettings has been the one app I really can't live without. That and BiteSMS.

Lennholm
Jun 3, 2011, 03:23 PM
Obviously if there are new notifications coming next week, they would have been working on them for months, and this guy getting hired at the last minute will probably have no input on what we'll see at the Keynote.

My guess is that Apple's new notification system works/looks exactly like how this guy has done them, so they need to gobble him up because of legal reasons or their impressed by his design and programming skills and want that talent for future iOS updates.

Most likely it's the former. I don't think Apple tends to hire people out of the Jailbreaking community because they like too...more likely out of necessity.

Doesn't make sense, just because they hire the guy doesn't mean they automatically get the rights to things he did before. If Apple intend to more or less copy his work they would still need to make some sort of licensing agreement. Maybe they traded rights for an employment, but I doubt that he (or Apple) would choose that instead of a simple licensing fee.

nitropowered
Jun 3, 2011, 03:26 PM
I've been using MobileNotifier on my iP4 for quite some time now and it is far better than the stock notification system.

I just got my iPad 2 and totally miss the MobileNotifier system.

cere
Jun 3, 2011, 03:30 PM
Here's a question, how does it handle it when you turn on the iphone and you have multiple notifications waiting?

You get a list of pending notifications on the lock screen. I don't use that functionality, so I can't remember if it allows you to go straight to the app that controls that notification, the way it does when the phone is unlocked. For some reason, I think it doesn't.

cere
Jun 3, 2011, 03:31 PM
Yeah, you guys are right. SBSettings has been the one app I really can't live without. That and BiteSMS.

SBSettings, LockInfo and MobileNotifier for me.

DotComName
Jun 3, 2011, 03:33 PM
I sincerally hope this is Apple's LAST Mac OS X release. I want Apple to focus on enhancing iOS and move iOS to the desktop too. I want new touch-enabled desktop form factors to supplement the lineup of mobile iOS devices. And for those 5% of extreme pro users that need precise and meticulous input for professional editing and design, a proper and innovative stylus solution should be implemented and offered! Done deal.

****** you mouse! I hate you!

ct2k7
Jun 3, 2011, 03:38 PM
I sincerally hope this is Apple's LAST Mac OS X release. I want Apple to focus on enhancing iOS and move iOS to the desktop too. I want new touch-enabled desktop form factors to supplement the lineup of mobile iOS devices. And for those 5% of extreme pro users that need precise and meticulous input for professional editing and design, a proper and innovative stylus solution should be implemented and offered! Done deal.

****** you mouse! I hate you!

Soon we’ll look like Cher or Melanie Griffith

OW OW OW OW AGHH

ew...

Jcoz
Jun 3, 2011, 03:43 PM
SBSettings, LockInfo and MobileNotifier for me.

Same plus multiflow....all of which hopefully will just be worked into the system eventually.

inkswamp
Jun 3, 2011, 03:56 PM
Congrats.

Why do people always frame it like this? Apple has never shown one sign that they're anti-jailbreaking or that they think it's useless. They don't sue jailbreakers. They don't shut sites down. They don't even put up much fight with the updates to iOS. They chose to lock things down on the iPhone to streamline the user experience, make it unnecessary for users to do system maintenance or worry about viruses. You can argue the merits of that approach, but regardless, your feelings on that topic one way or the other don't reflect on Apple at all. They've tolerated jailbreaking to a remarkable degree. Why does it surprise anyone that they'd ask one such jailbreaker to join their ranks?

Dcuellar
Jun 3, 2011, 04:06 PM
Why do people always frame it like this? Apple has never shown one sign that they're anti-jailbreaking or that they think it's useless. They don't sue jailbreakers. They don't shut sites down. They don't even put up much fight with the updates to iOS. They chose to lock things down on the iPhone to streamline the user experience, make it unnecessary for users to do system maintenance or worry about viruses. You can argue the merits of that approach, but regardless, your feelings on that topic one way or the other don't reflect on Apple at all. They've tolerated jailbreaking to a remarkable degree. Why does it surprise anyone that they'd ask one such jailbreaker to join their ranks?

I think it's because Apple has never really embraced the idea of jailbreaking. By hiring a developer of a JB app I think it's exciting because it tells me that they are at least paying attention.

Honestly, I think Apple has benefited a lot from the Jailbreak community. Not only are they exposing security holes, but they are coming up with ideas and proving what would be successful on the iPhone OS. In a sense, it's like a big beta program that Apple does not have to pay for.

Piggie
Jun 3, 2011, 04:07 PM
Does Apple employ the most hopeless programmers on the Planet?

I mean, they are "Supposed" to be great programmer at Apple, and have written many flavours of OSX for the Mac, etc etc etc.

But they need to hire someone special and extra so they can work out how to program a half decent pop up notification system?

That kinda sounds a bit pathetic does it not?

Seems very odd to me. Such a task should be simple for a world leading company such as Apple, more so as they only have to look at say Android to see how it should be done well. They don't even have to start from a blank sheet and come up with the idea from nothing.

Lennholm
Jun 3, 2011, 04:09 PM

Eh, they're certainly anti-jailbreaking, they pushed for it to be ruled illegal. Never shown one sign, right...

Does Apple employ the most hopeless programmers on the Planet?

I mean, they are "Supposed" to be great programmer at Apple, and have written many flavours of OSX for the Mac, etc etc etc.

But they need to hire someone special and extra so they can work out how to program a half decent pop up notification system?

That kinda sounds a bit pathetic does it not?

Seems very odd to me. Such a task should be simple for a world leading company such as Apple, more so as they only have to look at say Android to see how it should be done well. They don't even have to start from a blank sheet and come up with the idea from nothing.

Programmers don't design the UI

Alisstar
Jun 3, 2011, 04:10 PM
This is encouraging, and to me, not surprising. From almost the beginning, Apple seems to be influenced by the jailbreak community, and seemingly, absorb the best ideas, and improve upon those ideas.

trunten
Jun 3, 2011, 04:13 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

No offence to the programmer as it must be tough doing this sort of stuff as a one man team, but i hope apple's implementation ends up nothing like this. IMO it's clunky and ugly.

cere
Jun 3, 2011, 04:18 PM

Didn't the go before congress (or some body) and argue that jailbreaking is a danger and a risk to the cellular network?

ghostface147
Jun 3, 2011, 04:20 PM
Eh, it's ok. It's not much better than what iOS has now. Still intrusive, just not as much as now.

Either way, I am excited for Monday.

Piggie
Jun 3, 2011, 04:20 PM
Programmers don't design the UI

But Apple as a company are supposed to be the "Kings" of creating an top notch, excellent UI over decades now.

Why need to pull in a new person for something so simple?

It's not exactly rocket science is it?

http://static2.businessinsider.com/image/4d76569fcadcbbc1730f0000-400-300/notifications-are-much-better-in-honeycomb.jpg

trunten
Jun 3, 2011, 04:31 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally posted by Dcuellar:
I know I'm setting myself up to be disappointed, but god I love the concepts in this iOS5 concept video.

That. Was. Brilliant.

bretm
Jun 3, 2011, 04:31 PM
Apple already has a system similar to palm that they aren't using. Have you ever surfed while on the phone? The whole top of the screen pushes down and the green bar appears saying tap to return to call. It's informAtive, it's obvious, and it doesn't overlay over anything. There's no reason the same concept shouldn't be applied to notifications. Different color for different things. Phone related, green, mail, blue, etc. Of course you'd specify which you care about and maybe change colors. Touching it would bring a popup with greater detail, etc. This doesn't seem like brain surgery.

QuarterSwede
Jun 3, 2011, 04:34 PM
This is a horrible notification system, I hope Apple won't implement this in iOS 5 but comes up with something new.
The video in the article is from beta 3. The newest version is beta 5 which is much, much better and a lot more polished. Instead of covering what you're doing up it pushes the screen down (think Call In Progress green pulsing bars). It also adds quick reply to SMS and notification deletion from the notification itself. It's a CRAP load better than iOS's default notification system.

Having to tap a notification in order for it to disappear is a subpar solution and not any better than Apple's current notification system. Also read this blog post written by a designer: http://blog.cocoia.com/2011/notify/
You don't have to tap on it for it to disappear. Within 3 seconds it goes away on it's own.

The best part of this is that Apple hired a jailbreak app developer and the app he developed is still available in Cydia.

That means Apple didn't say, "before we consider hiring you, you need to remove that app, because we hate jailbreakers".
That's because it's open source. They simply can't.

No offence to the programmer as it must be tough doing this sort of stuff as a one man team, but i hope apple's implementation ends up nothing like this. IMO it's clunky and ugly.
It's not a one man team. It was his idea at first but then several people were added along the way. Check out the newest version, beta 5 before passing judgement. It's pretty well polished and slick. It's missing certain things but it is still a beta and it's definitely the way Apple could do it.

Apple already has a system similar to palm that they aren't using. Have you ever surfed while on the phone? The whole top of the screen pushes down and the green bar appears saying tap to return to call. It's informAtive, it's obvious, and it doesn't overlay over anything. There's no reason the same concept shouldn't be applied to notifications. Different color for different things. Phone related, green, mail, blue, etc. Of course you'd specify which you care about and maybe change colors. Touching it would bring a popup with greater detail, etc. This doesn't seem like brain surgery.
That's exactly how MobileNotifier Beta 5 works. Instead of the notification being overlaid on the screen (yuck) it pushes the screen down. It's freaking brilliant and a lot better than the Android and Growl imitation Notified Pro + GriP.

I've been using beta 5 since it was out (I think two few weeks) and there are a few things missing:

Tapping on a notification that has text should open to where the notification is (think Facebook) because that's what you want to reply to. This idea is probably going to have to be an API though so I would only expect to see it when Apple revamps notifications.
Option to tap on notifications on the lockscreen and have it take you to the app.
Ability to quick reply to Facebook, Twitter and other similar apps. So far it's only SMS. Again, probably going to have to be an API.
Should pause certain apps (games) so it doesn't cover screen (it pushes screen down everywhere else BUT in full screen apps like games) or only show a status bar icon. Again, API needed.
Landscape notifications

I guess the biggest take away from using MobileNotifier is that Apple needs to add an API for intelligent notifications. They are NOT all the same.

You can view any updates to the code on their commits page (http://rcos.rpi.edu/projects/mobilenotifier/commits/). A nice addition to what will most certainly be beta 6 is that you can choose the notification style, light from beta 3 or dark from beta 4 (which I prefer).

[EDIT] Was just reading Hajas' blog (http://www.peterhajas.com/) and realized that MobileNotifier has an API for MobileReply (quick reply). Neat.

rman726
Jun 3, 2011, 04:49 PM
That video is old. MobileNotifier is much improved now. Takes up less space up top, and when you open up a text message or something, it automatically clears the notification, without having to "Clear Pending".

Edit: Oops, I made the mistake of only doing Control F on the first page... QuarterSwede's post above mine is a very accurate post saying how it has improved.

joueboy
Jun 3, 2011, 04:58 PM
How ironic to have an Apple employee distributing app on Cydia. Just a warning for jailbreakers get it while it lasts. Because Apple will force this guy to pull out this app from Cydia and that would be it for a while. You will not be able to see this feature on iOS 5.0 it's very likely that it's still on development stage, they just hired him. Get it now!

Thunderhawks
Jun 3, 2011, 04:59 PM

Are you sure you are not an analyst? :)

inkswamp
Jun 3, 2011, 05:03 PM
Didn't the go before congress (or some body) and argue that jailbreaking is a danger and a risk to the cellular network?

I always thought that was more of a legal thing to clarify their EULA and what rights Apple had when a user causes problems for themselves by jailbreaking. Seems to me that it's in Apple's interest to make sure they aren't held liable for anything a user does to their own data and hardware and their position was more of a legal CYA thing.

Regardless, what have they done to actively discourage or stop jailbreaking? Certainly they could be a lot more devious with the iOS updates. They could probably spend time splitting legals hairs with jailbreak sites and tying them up in court to exhaust their resources and shut them down. My point is that Apple could do a lot more within the bounds of the law to discourage or stop jailbreaking and they don't.

cere
Jun 3, 2011, 05:09 PM
I always thought that was more of a legal thing to clarify their EULA and what rights Apple had when a user causes problems for themselves by jailbreaking. Seems to me that it's in Apple's interest to make sure they aren't held liable for anything a user does to their own data and hardware and their position was more of a legal CYA thing.

Regardless, what have they done to actively discourage or stop jailbreaking? Certainly they could be a lot more devious with the iOS updates. They could probably spend time splitting legals hairs with jailbreak sites and tying them up in court to exhaust their resources and shut them down. My point is that Apple could do a lot more within the bounds of the law to discourage or stop jailbreaking and they don't.
I agree with you. At best, Apple sees JB'ers as a nuisance in their relationship with carriers and developers, but I don't think the actually care that people are jailbreaking. Was just pointing out that they have taken steps to close the holes, technically and at least a little legally.

QuarterSwede
Jun 3, 2011, 05:13 PM
How ironic to have an Apple employee distributing app on Cydia. Just a warning for jailbreakers get it while it lasts. Because Apple will force this guy to pull out this app from Cydia and that would be it for a while. You will not be able to see this feature on iOS 5.0 it's very likely that it's still on development stage, they just hired him. Get it now!
You didn't read my post a few above yours. MobileNotifier is open source and others are continuing work on it.

What I find interesting is that he was also working on Widge and it's API, WidgeKit. Widge was/is supposed to be a widget system for iOS that would live between Spotlight and the first page of apps on the homescreen. It's possible Apple hired him for that. Just speculating.

Lennholm
Jun 3, 2011, 05:28 PM

No, Apple was more aggressive than that

In response to a request by the Electronic Frontier Foundation, the U.S. Copyright Office explicitly recognized an exemption to the DMCA to permit jailbreaking in order to allow iPhone owners to use their phones with applications that are not available from Apple's store, and to unlock their iPhones for use with unapproved carriers. Apple had previously filed comments opposing this exemption and indicated that they did consider jailbreaking to be a violation of copyright (and by implication prosecutable under the DMCA). Apple's request to define copyright law to include jailbreaking as a violation was denied as part of the 2009 DMCA rulemaking. In their ruling, the Library of Congress affirmed on July, 26, 2010 that jailbreaking is exempt from DMCA rules with respect to circumventing digital locks. This exemption must be reviewed and renewed every three years or else it will expire

So, Apple probably would love to be able to sue those jailbreaking sites but they can't since they have been ruled to be perfectly legal. Nice try though to try and keep up the image of Apple as being all customers white knight in shining armour

jzuena
Jun 3, 2011, 05:40 PM
You all do know that Peter Hajas is still an undergrad at RPI, right? He worked in my department where I work last summer, then went back to school. He might do the same thing at Apple this year.

-LikesMac-
Jun 3, 2011, 05:41 PM
See this concept. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqWO6VkJh-0

Which one do you guys like better? :D

QuarterSwede
Jun 3, 2011, 05:47 PM
You all do know that Peter Hajas is still an undergrad at RPI, right? He worked in my department where I work last summer, then went back to school. He might do the same thing at Apple this year.
More than likely Apple will pay for him to finish school (it's probably a requirement). Although, you don't really need a formal education when the work you've done has gotten you jobs in the industry. After all that's usually the end point of an education.

tungry
Jun 3, 2011, 05:48 PM
They just need to perfect LockInfo and call it a day. Tried that mobile notifier since 1st release don't find it awesome in anyway, i find my self clicking home button more than ever with it so if iOS5 notification is based on that I am not too excited.

chrmjenkins
Jun 3, 2011, 06:08 PM
See this concept. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqWO6VkJh-0

Which one do you guys like better? :D

That one looks great although asking a user to swipe in such a vertically cramped area could cause havoc.

Basically it should be growl-like transparent popups that are small and disappear and leave an icon hanging out in the notification/status bar up top. Biggest question is how users quickly access their queued notifications. Double/triple pressing home button is a bit much if you ask me.

YourHerojb
Jun 3, 2011, 06:11 PM
The way the notification jailbreak Hajas designed doesn't work to my liking.
It is unobtrusive but still bothersome.
An interesting alternative would be for the notifications to pop up as a small circle in a corner or visual top center of the screen, and only when this is tapped would it explain a text (for example) and allow you to ignore or reply

Piggie
Jun 3, 2011, 06:24 PM
The way the notification jailbreak Hajas designed doesn't work to my liking.
It is unobtrusive but still bothersome.
An interesting alternative would be for the notifications to pop up as a small circle in a corner or visual top center of the screen, and only when this is tapped would it explain a text (for example) and allow you to ignore or reply

Agree, all you need is some popup in a corner. Perhaps some semi transparent small overlay to let you know what it is, that fades away after a few seconds also.

You need to be told there is something just come in, and perhaps given a quick unobtrusive view of what it is, then, without you touching anything it disappears again, so you know what it is and can select to ignore it without ever touching the screen.

robertsduney
Jun 3, 2011, 06:53 PM
Pointless! The notification is still in the way! People aren't getting it. I think the only way to do notifications correctly is to use the menu bar or as webOS does so. You shouldn't have to click 'Later' or whatever to get the notification out of the way of the screen.

rman726
Jun 3, 2011, 07:03 PM
Pointless! The notification is still in the way! People aren't getting it. I think the only way to do notifications correctly is to use the menu bar or as webOS does so. You shouldn't have to click 'Later' or whatever to get the notification out of the way of the screen.

it automatically goes away after 15 seconds. It pops up and makes the screen you are on slightly smaller, and you can continue doing what you are doing, or just continue reading an article, and it will go away. Maybe it should be an option to select how long it takes to go away..

Piggie
Jun 3, 2011, 07:03 PM

I agree with you.

It's like the hotmail popup in windows.
You get a new email, and in the bottom left of the screen you get a very small window that pops up and says new mail with a just the start of the email text, and after about 3 or 5 seconds the window moves back down again and disappears.

It's just enough to let you know something has arrived, and just a snippet of info so you can decide to open it or ignore it. all without touching anything.

rman726
Jun 3, 2011, 07:06 PM
More than likely Apple will pay for him to finish school (it's probably a requirement). Although, you don't really need a formal education when the work you've done has gotten you jobs in the industry. After all that's usually the end point of an education.

Agreed. He can probably move out to Apple and go to school part time at like Stanford to finish his degree... Or if he really wants to finish at RPI, he can just finish and have a job waiting for him when he's done.

leftywamumonkey
Jun 3, 2011, 07:13 PM
OMG! My boy Peter Hajas did it!!!

-LikesMac-
Jun 3, 2011, 07:23 PM
That one looks great although asking a user to swipe in such a vertically cramped area could cause havoc.

Basically it should be growl-like transparent popups that are small and disappear and leave an icon hanging out in the notification/status bar up top. Biggest question is how users quickly access their queued notifications. Double/triple pressing home button is a bit much if you ask me.

How's it cramped? (we are talking about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqWO6VkJh-0) I think two-swipe could just be replaced with one-swipe, and that would be it (at least for home screen and some simple apps). For apps where swiping down is used for something else, something else would have to be done :apple:

Double/Triple pressing home button is WAY too much, I agree.

-LikesMac-
Jun 3, 2011, 07:25 PM

Refer to this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqWO6VkJh-0

This one doesn't make the screen smaller until you actually want to see the notification. The UI looks absolutely perfect, as if it were designed by apple :cool:

aznbballerno1
Jun 3, 2011, 08:08 PM
hopefully they will final update their ancient notification system and give users what they want!

w00t951
Jun 3, 2011, 08:11 PM
If that guy made such a nice notifications utility with such a small budget, imagine what he can do with Apple funding and R&D behind him... My dreams for iOS are coming true...

darbus69
Jun 3, 2011, 08:15 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

for the life of me I cannot understand why everyone gets their panties in a wad over notifications? if you are one, then u epitomize a spoiled rotten geek. is it so tragic to have to hit view or close?

chrmjenkins
Jun 3, 2011, 08:19 PM

for the life of me I cannot understand why everyone gets their panties in a wad over notifications? if you are one, then u epitomize a spoiled rotten geek. is it so tragic to have to hit view or close?

Cars exist. You must now ride a horse everywhere.

MattInOz
Jun 3, 2011, 08:52 PM

I wouldn't expect it to be exactly as he has it but I think he's close enough and Apple have looked at his source to know that he can drop in to the team, talk the same language and be productive in the first week.

So a bit of a combo of A and B.

Watching his YouTube vidoes I think he brings something else to the team. He's really good at presenting to a group. He really could be up the front of WWDC session on the new notifications and be really clear and passionate about the system.

lfc
Jun 3, 2011, 09:19 PM
MacRumors, I don't know why you showed beta 3 when beta 5 has been out for a week or so now and is a million times better :/ (http://www.peterhajas.com/blog/2011/5/29/mobilenotifier-beta5-ecstatic-eggo.html)

Anyway, Peter is more than just a notification designer/creator, he specialises in the way we interact with computers and their interfaces.

I'm glad Apple got him, can't wait to see what he does with iOS!

Jun 3, 2011, 10:19 PM
I use MIUI which is based on Android on my HTC Desire and the notification system is wonderful. I get the same pull-down notifications menu from Android as well as access to my control switches (Wifi, Bluetooth, 3G, Rotation, GPS, etc.)

This system would eb great for the iPhone.

bwillwall
Jun 3, 2011, 10:26 PM
Do u guys honestly think this is a good design? I mean seriously, this is like the windows 7 superbar. Its purpose is to make maneuvering around the computer and through windows easier but instead it just makes it way harder. (Thats what she said)

cavf88
Jun 4, 2011, 12:19 AM
Let me know if you like it!

http://i.imgur.com/fdt3c.jpg

This is how it works.

1. You're playing Tiny Wings
2. You get a translucent notification that you've got an email from Samantha.
3. Double tap the home button and swipe right until you get to the music controls.
4. Swipe one more time to get to the notifications bars.
5. Swipe up or press the notification bar, to get the notifications table!
6. If you want to go back to the game, swipe down the notification bar and press the home button once and double tap the home button.
7. You can also see the notification in the home screen.

Maven1975
Jun 4, 2011, 01:13 AM
It's better than what we have now, but it's still not fluid like webos or android.

caspersoong
Jun 4, 2011, 02:35 AM
I don't like it covering the screen. The most frequently used apps for me are at the top and bottom of the screen (dock).

Thex1138
Jun 4, 2011, 02:37 AM
I don't think obscuring icons is very functional...
Perhaps multi-touch down swipe to reveal notifications might be better... But not obscuring the content.. Makes no sense.

w00master
Jun 4, 2011, 07:11 AM
Perhaps multi-touch down swipe to reveal notifications might be better... But not obscuring the content.. Makes no sense.

It's still better than Apple's current notification system.

w00master

pmz
Jun 4, 2011, 09:31 AM
I can't imagine why this guy would be worth the hire...surely not based on MobileNotifier because that hack sucks big time.

w00master
Jun 4, 2011, 09:31 AM
I can't imagine why this guy would be worth the hire...surely not based on MobileNotifier because that hack sucks big time.

Still better than Apple's current notification system.

w00master

QuarterSwede
Jun 4, 2011, 09:37 AM
MacRumors, I don't know why you showed beta 3 when beta 5 has been out for a week or so now and is a million times better :/ (http://www.peterhajas.com/blog/2011/5/29/mobilenotifier-beta5-ecstatic-eggo.html)
That's what I've been trying to get people to understand. Everyone keeps commenting on how bad MN is because the video is outdated and MN doesn't even work this way anymore. Kind of pisses me off honestly.

pmz
Jun 4, 2011, 09:40 AM
Still better than Apple's current notification system.

w00master

No it definitely is not.

QuarterSwede
Jun 4, 2011, 09:41 AM
No it definitely is not.
Yeah, beta 5 definitely is. Have you used the current version (not the one in the video)?

w00master
Jun 4, 2011, 09:42 AM
No it definitely does not.

Yes... definitely it is. The fact that the "notification" is inactive rather than active AUTOMATICALLY makes it better.

So... you like it when you're on the phone... get a text... done with the call and then REALIZE THAT THE POPUP NOTIFICATION IS IN THE WAY?

This is better?

Riiiight.

w00master

pmz
Jun 4, 2011, 09:44 AM

Makes no sense whatsoever. Looking forward to seeing Apples take on notifications in iOS 5. Not one concept or mockup has thrilled me at all.

w00master
Jun 4, 2011, 09:45 AM
Makes no sense whatsoever. Looking forward to seeing Apples take on notifications in iOS 5. Not one concept or mockup has thrilled me at all.

So... Apple's popup which covers most of the iphone screen is honestly better than MobileNotifier? Really?

Riiiight.

w00master

ct2k7
Jun 4, 2011, 09:46 AM
New notifications in iOS 6+ ?

pmz
Jun 4, 2011, 09:51 AM
Yes... definitely it is. The fact that the "notification" is inactive rather than active AUTOMATICALLY makes it better.

So... you like it when you're on the phone... get a text... done with the call and then REALIZE THAT THE POPUP NOTIFICATION IS IN THE WAY?

This is better?

Riiiight.

w00master

Yea, I like that better. Why don't you calm down, what you have a vested interest in that free tweak?

MobileNotifier sucks. It's the least intuitive notification system I have ever seen, either in concept, practice, Android phones included.

Blocks icons. Dumb. Lock screen works like @&$@, actually takes longer to preview and respond than normal Apple popups.

It's a matter of opinion whether or not Apple notifications are good or bad. Notifications should be dealt with immediately, or ignored, which is what Apple let's you do. There is NO NEED WHATSOEVER for a notifications section or page or app as some have suggested. That's totally backwards. Notifications should live only in the Apps they originate from. It's amazing how people don't realize that going to a notification app is the exact same as going to the App itself (SMS, Mail), just without the enhanced features of the originating app.

All Apple needs are quick reply features for SMS, and pop ups/quick reply for Mail...and the ability to turn these pop ups on or off in settings (exactly like you can right now for Push notifications).

Dr McKay
Jun 4, 2011, 09:54 AM
Congrats.

Of course they think it does, it isnt a co-incidence that most of the time, the most popular jailbreaking features get added to iOS. :D

Also what this video doesnt show, is if you click "Later" on a notification, when you open the multi-tasking bar, it shows a list of all the notifications in the huge empty space normally wasted that you clicked "Later" on.

QuarterSwede
Jun 4, 2011, 10:01 AM
Yea, I like that better. Why don't you calm down, what you have a vested interest in that free tweak?

MobileNotifier sucks. It's the least intuitive notification system I have ever seen, either in concept, practice, Android phones included.

Blocks icons. Dumb. Lock screen works like @&$@, actually takes longer to preview and respond than normal Apple popups.

It's a matter of opinion whether or not Apple notifications are good or bad. Notifications should be dealt with immediately, or ignored, which is what Apple let's you do. There is NO NEED WHATSOEVER for a notifications section or page or app as some have suggested. That's totally backwards. Notifications should live only in the Apps they originate from. It's amazing how people don't realize that going to a notification app is the exact same as going to the App itself (SMS, Mail), just without the enhanced features of the originating app.

All Apple needs are quick reply features for SMS, and pop ups/quick reply for Mail...and the ability to turn these pop ups on or off in settings (exactly like you can right now for Push notifications).
Beta 5 doesn't block icons. Instead it pushes the screen down (squashes it) just like the native Call-In-Progress green pulsing bars. Stop looking at the video posted and watch at least one video for beta 5 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo2a5LpQG1s) which works differently. Beta 5 also has MobileReply (quick reply) for SMS natively and even an API for app developers.

The CURRENT MobileNotifier Beta 5:
Skip to 1:10 for start of demo

Fo2a5LpQG1s

w00master
Jun 4, 2011, 10:38 AM

Yes it is... but your arguments don't make sense. Block icons? First off ver 5 does not block any icons, but even in ver 3 (the one you saw) at least the icons are available to click. Additionally, the notification still blocks much less of the screen than Apple's "popup" does.

So again... yes.. it's an opinion, and you're entitled to yours, but your arguments (especially in regards to blocking) doesn't hold any water.

w00master

tigress666
Jun 4, 2011, 12:12 PM

You know the reason I want a notifications screen?

Cause sometimes I don't want to go there right away and if I procrastinate I don't remember every single app that sent me a notification. Plus if I get multiple notifications I can only pick one to go to and pay attention to and hope to remember the rest. I would like a list of notifications including which ones I haven't opened the app to since the notification as a reminder of which notifications I haven't paid attention to yet.

That way I don't have to try to sit there and remember to pay attention to some app and I can put my full focus on what I'm doing at the moment knowing I can just go to the notifications screen later and be reminded of what new things I need to pay attention to.

I'd like the notification screen so I can *ignore* a notification at the moment and not worry that I'll forget about it when I want to go and check what's new later on.

And this is from some one who has recently asked why people dislike the notifications as it is right now (I have some pet peeves but never really thought of it as bad enough to be thinking it had to be fixed. But... every handheld I've had had some similar way of doing notifications so I haven't known much different). Even though I don't have much issue with notifications even I've noticed the lack of that and can fully agree that it is better to at least have a screen you can go to to see a history of notifications. It's a small pet peeve of mine that I think would be a vast improvement.

Plus I hate having to keep going through pop up screens when you have multiple notifications, it would be nice if it was all in one pop up rather than them layering over each other so you have to go through a stack of them.

I will say in general I do like the notifications popping up over what I'm doing (maybe in a less intrusive way that would be fine too, kinda like how facebook does it honestly. I like how the guy who is the focus of this article does it with the exception that I'd want the notifications to actually pause what I'm doing cause when playing a game I don't like that it would pop up and my game would still go and not be paused... that could get very annoying as it could easily mess me up in the game doing that).

aristotle
Jun 4, 2011, 12:51 PM

One word. "Yuck".
That reminds me of Winmo 6.5. I would not want anything like that in iOS 5. Anyone who wants that can jailbreak if they want that kind of clutter.

Having too much personal info on a lock screen for example kind of defeats the purpose of a lock screen which is to protect your privacy.

A home screen, IMO, is for launching into apps that you use most and having personal info on it displayed also kind of risks your privacy. I want to be able to hand someone my iPhone so they can make a call without giving them direct access to information about my personal life on the home screen.

You can accomplish the same thing with a PIM app that pulls in information about emails and calendars and having that app open when you lock your phone. Then it will be front and centre when you unlock your phone.

Torrijos
Jun 4, 2011, 01:13 PM
Hope it's way better than MobileNotifier its one ugly tweak.

hidehide
Jun 4, 2011, 01:26 PM
He is a nice guy.. but notified pro is much better than mobilenotifier...
Why Apple didn't hire notified pro developer instead...

Žalgiris
Jun 4, 2011, 01:33 PM
He is a nice guy.. but notified pro is much better than mobilenotifier...
Why Apple didn't hire notified pro developer instead...

Because they like that idea better?

twoodcc
Jun 4, 2011, 02:17 PM
good for him. the notifications need a big upgrade

bushido
Jun 4, 2011, 03:37 PM

dude u got no idea, when ur running in app it doesnt get in the way at all, just a little bar pops up at the top of the screen showing that u got something new, but it doesnt pause or anything what ur currently doing and it goes away by itself after a few seconds

jonnysods
Jun 4, 2011, 06:14 PM
Dunno about that one. Definitely a step in a better direction though.

I tell you what, the lock screen is what is on my radar for this latest update. Check out lockscreeninfo on Cydia.

twilson
Jun 4, 2011, 06:20 PM

As long as we continue to see "nn" apps hosting malware removed from Android Marketplace, I highly doubt it.

Control is still very much needed, and iOS/mac os x malware is on the rise.

twilson
Jun 4, 2011, 06:23 PM
dude u got no idea, when ur running in app it doesnt get in the way at all, just a little bar pops up at the top of the screen showing that u got something new, but it doesnt pause or anything what ur currently doing and it goes away by itself after a few seconds

Yes, a little bar pops up and gets in the way of part of the screen, having used it when my phone was jail broken, I can happily say it's pretty much as annoying as the modal notifications, except iT doesn't pause app/game when content is obscured.

lfc
Jun 4, 2011, 08:04 PM
Yes, a little bar pops up and gets in the way of part of the screen, having used it when my phone was jail broken, I can happily say it's pretty much as annoying as the modal notifications, except iT doesn't pause app/game when content is obscured.

You haven't seen or used beta 5 then. It doesn't obscure the screen at all ;)

insider-man
Jun 4, 2011, 08:38 PM
Well he is certainly employed at Apple that's something I can confirm . . :apple:

erzhik
Jun 4, 2011, 09:24 PM
Apple should fire their in house devs and hire devs from jailbreaking community.

MattInOz
Jun 5, 2011, 04:36 AM
Apple should fire their in house devs and hire devs from jailbreaking community.

Ummm... nothing wrong with the InHouse developer other than being maybe a bit thinly spread. Did does sound like JB community is proving a good training ground.

bushido
Jun 5, 2011, 04:55 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

well ... how else is a "notification" system supposed to inform u when ur running an app?

inkswamp
Jun 5, 2011, 05:03 AM
So, Apple probably would love to be able to sue those jailbreaking sites but they can't since they have been ruled to be perfectly legal. Nice try though to try and keep up the image of Apple as being all customers white knight in shining armour

I have next to no interest in defending Apple or maintaining some image of them. They're a big corporate entity that wants my money. No delusions there.

But you're missing the forest for the trees. Yes, Apple pursued the DMCA route and various other claims of copyright infringement against jailbreaking but that doesn't discount the idea that all of those avenues were pursued more out of a desire to establish a legal boundary where they are not liable for users rendering their devices unusable. That's not so far-fetched. When you read about what Apple was doing, the EULA and their concerns about users damaging the product were part of all that. It struck me as legal CYA, and only an attack on jailbreaking insofar as that activity might come back around to bite Apple financially. If your jailbreaking users eff their iPhones up royally, do they have a right to file class action lawsuits against you when the guy at the genius bar refuses to help? No... not if you've clearly established the legal boundaries, not if you've established that the terms of your EULA can stand.

And you're right. They can't sue those jailbreaking sites for jailbreaking per se but who knows what else might be going on with some of those sites. Surely, not everything going on at every jailbreaking site is 100% legal and Apple could go after those if they chose. And there's a lot they could have done by now with hardware and software updates that would discourage jailbreaking.

I stand by my theory. Apple doesn't give a rip about jailbreaking as long as it's clear it can't harm them financially.

cere
Jun 5, 2011, 06:30 AM

They had years prior to the LoC exceptions were made to sue jailbreakers and never did. They might not like them much, but they also don't seem to really care.

Žalgiris
Jun 5, 2011, 07:12 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

well ... how else is a "notification" system supposed to inform u when ur running an app?

Good point.

Speedracer04
Jun 5, 2011, 08:23 AM
Take a look at the latest update to MobileNotifer that came out a couple week ago. Much better than the version shown in the video.

Notifications now "push down" the rest of your screen, so nothing is obstructed with a slimmer bar (compared to the video) at the top with the notification. It disappears after 3-4 seconds if you do not open or dismiss it.

lucyna
Jun 5, 2011, 08:28 AM
haven't found it yet.

QuarterSwede
Jun 5, 2011, 09:04 AM
Take a look at the latest update to MobileNotifer that came out a couple week ago. Much better than the version shown in the video.

Notifications now "push down" the rest of your screen, so nothing is obstructed with a slimmer bar (compared to the video) at the top with the notification. It disappears after 3-4 seconds if you do not open or dismiss it.
That's what we've been trying to tell people but no one is reading the thread before posting and arn still hasn't updated the video to reflect what is current.

haven't found it yet.
Haven't found what yet?

macrhino
Jun 5, 2011, 02:30 PM
The right way to get hired!

inkswamp
Jun 5, 2011, 06:59 PM
For those of you asking, the new video of the updated notifier is here...

http://www.jailbreakmovies.com/2011/05/29/mobilenotifier-updated-with-quick-reply-functions-video-inside/

robotphood
Jun 5, 2011, 09:05 PM
Being a notified pro user I much prefer it to mobilenotifier (yes the lastest beta). Scrolling statusbar notifications plus lockinfo infoshade for a notifications window comes close to android. Sadly it's not compatible with bitesms quick reply and doesn't seem like the dev will incorporate it any time soon. This is why I use the infoshade over the notified shade: so tapping sms notifications open bitesms quick reply. But it'd be nice if I could tap the notification directly for this function.

As for the hiring, it's nice someone from the JB community is catching apple' attention. But like others have mentioned:

1) hopefully this doesn't mean there isn't a notifications system out yet for ios5

2) the mobilenotifier system isn't what we will see because personally find it clunky. You'd think the webos guy would already have designed something just as good if not better by now (I personally love webos notifications). I guess we'll know tomorrow...

Wolfmore
Jun 5, 2011, 09:07 PM

I like Notified Pro alot better because it keeps a history of all received notification and you can scroll thru. You can adjust how many past notification you want it to display. If Mobilenotifier adds this then I would switch.

cubbie5150
Jun 6, 2011, 12:44 PM

Subliminal messages, duh!!! :D

diamond.g
Jun 6, 2011, 12:50 PM
And the notification system has been revamped!

Acts kinda like Android...

CherryJello
Jun 6, 2011, 12:51 PM
I think this might be worth a repost....

"
Jun 3, 2011, 03:38 PM

Most likely it's the former. I don't think Apple tends to hire people out of the Jailbreaking community because they like too...more likely out of necessity."

chrmjenkins
Jun 6, 2011, 02:57 PM
And the notification system has been revamped!

Acts kinda like Android...

It was pretty much the only way to do it without changing their existing UI. Everyone copies everyone else.

diamond.g
Jun 6, 2011, 03:35 PM
It was pretty much the only way to do it without changing their existing UI. Everyone copies everyone else.

Now we just need a fix for the multitasking interface.

w00master
Jun 6, 2011, 06:59 PM

Guess you hate Apple's implementation of notifications huh? LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE THE JAILBREAK APP.

I wonder how he's gonna run around this?

w00master

chrmjenkins
Jun 6, 2011, 07:12 PM
Now we just need a fix for the multitasking interface.

I agree. They should make it a gesture, say a swipe from the bottom up to complement notification center. I want to use that button as little as possible.

T-Will
Jun 6, 2011, 07:23 PM
I agree. They should make it a gesture, say a swipe from the bottom up to complement notification center. I want to use that button as little as possible.

I think he mentioned there are new multi-touch gestures for sliding between apps on the iPhone (unless I was mistaken).

robotphood
Jun 7, 2011, 01:57 PM
The new notifications center is sort of a fusion of notified pro and mobilenotifier. Not bad. I really wish they added a quick reply of some sort.

That would be nice. I have gestures on my iPad and swiping up has replaced double clicking the button. Swiping left and right to switch between apps is excellent as well. Not sure how well it'd work on a phone. A gesture area on the next iphone like the palm pre would be nice although unlikely.