PDA

View Full Version : More Claims of 'Deep' Twitter Integration in iOS 5

MacRumors
Jun 3, 2011, 02:29 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/03/more-claims-of-deep-twitter-integration-in-ios-5/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/twitter_ios_icon.jpg

(http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/twitter_ios_icon.jpg)Earlier this week, TechCrunch reported that Apple is said be integrating Twitter into iOS 5 (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/31/ios-5-to-include-twitter-integration-for-photos/), offering users the ability to easily share photos and other content via the service. Those claims dovetail nicely with Twitter's announcement (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/01/twitter-debuts-new-photo-sharing-integration-and-improved-search-ahead-of-ios-5-introduction/) the following day that it will launch its own photo-sharing service. Daring Fireball's John Gruber hinted, however, that Apple is planning to take things even further when it comes to Twitter integration, making it a "system-level service" within iOS 5.

Another source has now spoken out on Apple's plans, with the well-connected Robert Scoble now tweeting (http://twitter.com/Scobleizer/status/76618122366431232) that Apple will indeed be building Twitter "deeply" into iOS 5.Next week will be a huge week for those of us who have lived on Twitter for last few years. Apple is building Twitter in deeply into iOS5.In a series of follow-up tweets responding to commenters, Scoble says he's had "actual knowledge" of Apple's plans for several months now, but does not know the details. He does, however, claim that the integration will go well beyond photos and "lame 'send to Twitter buttons'".I know someone who built the Twitter integration into iOS5 and I believe him when he says I'll love it.Apple has announced that Steve Jobs will be providing a preview of iOS 5 at next Monday's keynote presentation at the company's Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco, and we should learn more about the rumored Twitter integration at that time if it is indeed in the works.

Article Link: More Claims of 'Deep' Twitter Integration in iOS 5 (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/03/more-claims-of-deep-twitter-integration-in-ios-5/)

theheadguy
Jun 3, 2011, 02:33 PM
I wish I cared about Twitter.

Donz0r
Meh, nobody I know uses Twitter....
I hope this isn't a focal point of the event

Surely
I wished I cared about Twitter.

I'm glad I don't.

jsadwith
Jun 3, 2011, 02:34 PM
I really hope this isn't going to be another native homescreen icon that we can't delete.

Collected
Jun 3, 2011, 02:35 PM
Why would they need to do this? Hasn't it been fairly easy to write apps that talk to twitter for a long time now.. like several years?

Vol7ron
Jun 3, 2011, 02:36 PM
I really hope this isn't going to be another native homescreen icon that we can't delete.

It would be nice if they gave us the option of hiding icons that we don't want to use. Half of the Apple apps I never use, and as you said, i can't delete them.

ciTiger
Jun 3, 2011, 02:37 PM
I guess Apple didn't like working with Facebook on the "Ping" feature... lol

Apple...
Jun 3, 2011, 02:40 PM
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.13548/24.871; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

What about facebook?

anthdci
Jun 3, 2011, 02:40 PM
I really hope this isn't true. I don't use it, nor does anyone I know, so I don't want it stuffed in my face.

FriarNurgle
Jun 3, 2011, 02:43 PM
I've never use Twitter. Is this really that necessary?

titusm
Jun 3, 2011, 02:44 PM
I do not use twitter but: why should they continue iChat, when we have FaceTime and Twitter?

SmileyBlast!
I really hope this isn't true. I don't use it, nor does anyone I know, so I don't want it stuffed in my face.
I'm sure there will be an option to opt out and switch Twitter API support off in the same way they do for Push Notifications.

LoganT
What's more annoying? People talking about Twitter or people talking about how they don't use Twitter?

Žalgiris
Jun 3, 2011, 02:46 PM
What's more annoying? People talking about Twitter or people talking about how they don't use Twitter?

Both?

cere
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.13548/24.871; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

What about facebook?

Oh please no. One of the great things about iOS has always been how relatively clean and uncluttered everything is (at least first party stuff). Almost everything is an app, even the phone function. Please don't spoil it by making it just another hip and trendy social media device.

Now, if all of this was the ability of apps to advertise their functionality to the OS and then share them to other apps (a la NeXt Services) then I would be all for it.

cere

Twitter being discussed at all...

addicted44
Jun 3, 2011, 02:47 PM
Here's the thing. What if you can create a "private notification feed" based off Twitter, which allows you to see your notifications no matter where you are, as long as you are connected to the internet?

Additionally, you can have third party apps reading this feed, and reacting to the notifications, if you enable them.

If you think about it, Twitter is essentially a widespread notification system.

Norcalchavo
Jun 3, 2011, 02:52 PM
I doubt they'll add an Icon since twitter already has its own. Maybe a native way of sharing photos/videos on twitter. Nevertheless looking forward to this.

mdelvecchio
Jun 3, 2011, 02:53 PM
thats like a mini facebook, right?

Jyby
Jun 3, 2011, 02:53 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

For the many people who don't tweet or socialize with computers. We don't want the keynote to focus on any of this crap. Yea cool mention it once jobs. Don't demo this stupid feature... I want to see some major things Apple has done with Mac OS X. Mac OS X should be their focus!

The Beatles
Jun 3, 2011, 02:54 PM
For the many people who don't tweet or socialize with computers. We don't want the keynote to focus on any of this crap. Yea cool mention it once jobs. Don't demo this stupid feature... I want to see some major things Apple has done with Mac OS X. Mac OS X should be their focus!

Ha Socialize with a computer, that sounds like an oxymoron. I agree I want some focus for hardcore computing.

Apple is so consumer focused these days it leaves little for me to get excited about. I guess there isnt much to do in regards to the pro user. But they could add some nice file management enhancements. Maybe work on their towers.

All this iphone ipad ios5 and now "twitter" talk is a let down. I basically just use my phone for texting, phone calls, and sometimes the web. I dont even use the apps anymore. Havent found any too useful except for the "Daylite" application which is a CM and project management application for the mac and iphone/pad.

ios devices are still very new so i guess they need to commit their resources to that part of their business.

tasset
Jun 3, 2011, 02:54 PM
Some of you people need to think beyond the layer of superfluous garbage people tweet about.
Twitter can be an incredible notification/messaging system that breaks the reliance on carrier ripoff messaging fees. Yes there are other IM apps and Whatsapp, Kik, etc. The trouble is getting your network of contacts to sign up for those. Twitter's backend talks to text messaging though.

Probably just wishful thinking on my part though and Apple won't rock the boat. Google sure backed off that.

Saberon
Jun 3, 2011, 02:55 PM
As long as they don't limit email messages to 140 characters I'll be fine with Twitter integration.

Tom8
Jun 3, 2011, 02:56 PM
Still no news as to whether they'll be video streaming the event?

I thought the only reason the iPad 2 announcement wasn't streamed was because of questions regarding Jobs' health and whether he would present, and if he was going to be able to last the whole conference. This time, we know in advance that Jobs will be there, so he must be fit enough to do it, so i see no reason why the wouldn't stream...

akm3
Jun 3, 2011, 02:57 PM
wow lots of unimpressed folk. I DO use twitter (and not to tell people I had oatmeal for breakfast) and i think it's great.

Saberon
Jun 3, 2011, 02:58 PM
To be honest I only use twitter for getting my news, I NEVER post anything myself.

I just follow a bunch of news sites (MR of course) and get my news that way rather than visiting 30 websites every day.

jayducharme
Jun 3, 2011, 02:59 PM
I don't use Twitter and I don't want it "deeply integrated" into the operating system. I'd rather have the ability to deactivate or delete it.

Jyby
Jun 3, 2011, 03:01 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

We don't want this crap Apple! We want apps and Mac OS X preformance! Sell us another snow leopard! Make your code the best, don't add more worthless code

ricardobeat
Jun 3, 2011, 03:01 PM
I hope it's not deep integration "with Twitter", but with 3rd party apps in general.

The twitter apps we have work fine, maybe something like Android's "share" button would make it a little better, but I don't see how inviting a 3rd party app into the system is a good move in the long-term. What if Facebook revamps statuses and everybody starts using it instead of Twitter? What if twitters's servers go down? If they make some terrible change to their TOS?

twoodcc
Jun 3, 2011, 03:03 PM
Sounds good. I like twitter

Ach111es
Jun 3, 2011, 03:04 PM
This sounds like a cool idea! But when is iOS 5 supposed to release?

GorgonPhone
Jun 3, 2011, 03:05 PM
who cares if it can post to twitter..lol lame focus IMOP

roadbloc
Jun 3, 2011, 03:05 PM
I use Twitter and even I'd hate to see this.

mnemonix
Jun 3, 2011, 03:07 PM
I don't want *any* 3rd party service 'deeply integrated' in iOS.

There's an app for that.

The Beatles
Jun 3, 2011, 03:08 PM
The only think i have against twitter or any of the SM BS is that people who use it or are trying to make a living off of it tend to PUSH the hell out of it. Obnoxious. I suppose this integration will be great for many who use it. I just hope it doesnt get in my way. For instance, i take a picture and automatically a stupid dialog pops up thinking it knows what i want. But it doesnt because this dialog will be asking me "do you want to post this stupid picture to twitter"?.

Annoying.:o:(:o:(

Drag'nGT
Jun 3, 2011, 03:08 PM
I thought twitter was only good for entering contests? :confused:
Twitter seems like the BS your friends think about but know not to post on Facebook.

I got a strange feeling I might have rather the 'twitter effort' been placed on the rest of iOS functionality rather than a feature that an app can solve for me.

Razeus
Jun 3, 2011, 03:09 PM
To be honest I only use twitter for getting my news, I NEVER post anything myself.

I just follow a bunch of news sites (MR of course) and get my news that way rather than visiting 30 websites every day.

...or you can just use an RSS reader like the Reader app. ;)

Full of Win
Jun 3, 2011, 03:10 PM
Makes me sad that some of the creative energy of Apple has been pissed away working on this. Would have preferred to see it spent on something more meaningful.

tasset
Jun 3, 2011, 03:10 PM
Why do people think "deeply integrated" means in your face?
Gmail/Yahoo mail/ etc is "deeply integrated" into the mail client. But you're free to not log in if you don't want to use it.

*LTD*
Jun 3, 2011, 03:12 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Twitter is huge. Smart move by Apple to appeal to an even wider audience.

toddybody
Jun 3, 2011, 03:13 PM
Twitter is retarded, as is Facebook. Why can't people call or email "friends"?

tasset
Jun 3, 2011, 03:14 PM
...or you can just use an RSS reader like the Reader app. ;)

Oh really? So this Reader app you speak of, does it push immediately to your phone once something gets posted? Because Twitter does.
I have used RSS quite a bit. But I have been let down by the reliability/ speed of many clients.

marksman
Jun 3, 2011, 03:19 PM

What about facebook?

Twitter = useful tool, facebook = massive time waste.

mnemonix
Jun 3, 2011, 03:19 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Twitter is huge. Smart move by Apple to appeal to an even wider audience.

While social networking is a valid, potentially useful and rapidly evolving phenomenon, Twitter is a fad, all be it one of the most popular *currently*. Apps are perfect for this stuff, install Twitter this week, Plurk next month, replace them next year when there's something new, but for someone at Apple to decide *Twitter* itself is somehow important enough to 'deeply integrate' into iOS is simply embarassing.

TallManNY
Jun 3, 2011, 03:20 PM
Building in twitter integration into the iOS might be interesting. Twitter is pretty darn powerful communication device. This is somewhat in line with something I've thought for a while, that social media sites (e.g., facebook, linkedin) are vastly over valued because what they do can eventually be integrated into the OS in a way that makes the social media site irrelevant. Why do I need to upload a picture to facebook from my iPhoto library instead of just designating the photo in my iPhoto library? Sure Facebook can make something easy to use (though their programming isn't really all that good), but how can they compete with the actual OS programmer who builds the first layer of interaction that the user sees when they boot their computer?

Another side note, if Twitter gets integrated into iOS better, then people might spend more time on Twitter and less on Facebook. Look out Facebook, Ping might be about to have its revenge.

ufkdo
Jun 3, 2011, 03:20 PM
Apple should buy Twitter, seriously. Social media is really important for people and they care about it. I think Twitter may be a good investment for Apple in terms of both money and advertisement.

lhotka
Jun 3, 2011, 03:22 PM
I've always thought there was a reason it started with "Twit".

No use for social media, but it may be a generational thing.

Ditto on the cloud stuff. Sounds great in practice, as long as you trust the provider with your data (I don't). I just hope it's optional and not the only way to sync/etc. That'd push me back towards a more secure, standalone solution.

Razeus
Jun 3, 2011, 03:25 PM
Oh really? So this Reader app you speak of, does it push immediately to your phone once something gets posted? Because Twitter does.
I have used RSS quite a bit. But I have been let down by the reliability/ speed of many clients.

Yes, in fact, it does.

*LTD*
Jun 3, 2011, 03:26 PM

Twitter is retarded, as is Facebook. Why can't people call or email "friends"?

This could signal some sort of partnership or cross-pollination between Apple and Twitter.

People who think social networks are retarded, are pissing in the wind against a massive and ever-growing social phenomenon. It would be downright stupid for Apple to ignore them. The level of integration that is healthy and profitable, however, is certainly something that can be argued.

Either way, this isn't about your own personal preference. It's about being progressive and current with popular social networking services, which are quite frankly, shaping the very heart of our social interactions. It's a market that needs to be addressed, and Twitter is a fast and easy way to communicate. It's not cumbersome as some full-blown networking mechanisms can be. It's lightweight.

Full disclosure, I don't use them much, aside from business and local grass-roots politics in which I'm involved, but they've been incredibly useful for these particular purposes and I can certainly see their utility in so many other areas.

Force10
Jun 3, 2011, 03:27 PM
Oh, Jeez, No
I just do not want Twitter.

WP7 and WebOS are looking more attractive every day

The Beatles
Jun 3, 2011, 03:27 PM

isnt that annoying? If im busy, the last thing i want is a useless notification about some senseless post of, for example, Adobe "Quarterly" Upgrades. Or some news story thats most likely rubbish and really just link bait so some site can charge more for their advertising.

liavman
Jun 3, 2011, 03:28 PM
>I know someone who built the Twitter integration into iOS5

This kind of stuff can get that Apple engineer in big trouble. It is probably one or two people at Apple who were involved in building it and Robert Scoble is outing them.. For what purpose? Not cool.

PeterQVenkman
Jun 3, 2011, 03:28 PM
Twitter pales in comparison to the release of x-men arcade for iOS.

One of the reasons being it is classic arcade action in the palm of your hand. The other reason is that if you hate x-men arcade, you can delete it from your phone/ipad/touch.

cere
Jun 3, 2011, 03:32 PM
>I know someone who built the Twitter integration into iOS5

This kind of stuff can get that Apple engineer in big trouble. It is probably one or two people at Apple who were involved in building it and Robert Scoble is outing them.. For what purpose? Not cool.

i thought the same thing. Unless it is one of Apple's controlled leaked, someone is going to be hurting soon.

palmerc2
Jun 3, 2011, 03:32 PM
I just wish this service wasnt with such a dumb website such as twitter. Just the name and concept is....well, dumb.

tasset
Jun 3, 2011, 03:33 PM
Yes, in fact, it does.

Serious question - what's the app? Because Reeder makes no mention of push. Searching the AppStore for "Reader" doesn't yield anything.

PS.- it better fetch every minute. Not every 15-30 BS.

The Beatles
Jun 3, 2011, 03:35 PM
It's about being progressive and current with popular social networking services, which are quite frankly, shaping the very heart of our social interactions.

Delete....

Never mind. If you want the heart of your social interactions to be done through a computer, then go for it. :P

Trooperof3
Jun 3, 2011, 03:35 PM
Anxiously await answers...

But i'd trade Deep Twitter.. for Folder icons.. My iphone homescreen looks fugly

tasset
Jun 3, 2011, 03:37 PM
isnt that annoying? If im busy, the last thing i want is a useless notification about some senseless post of, for example, Adobe "Quarterly" Upgrades. Or some news story thats most likely rubbish and really just link bait so some site can charge more for their advertising.

Apple does need to revamp their notifications, hoping to see that next week.
Most twitter updates obviously don't need to be pushed immediately. But you can selectively choose which ones are, and some are pretty important for me to see ASAP. Your head would spin with some of the crazy deals I have scored on Craigslist.

KCMichaelB
Jun 3, 2011, 03:39 PM
I use Twitter and Facebook but I don't want either getting in the way.

addicted44
Jun 3, 2011, 03:40 PM
Oh, Jeez, No

Lol...

I don't want Twitter integrated in iOS. Therefore, I will move to a platform that has Facebook, and Twitter integrated into it...

The commentators here crack me up.

Razeus
Serious question - what's the app? Because Reeder makes no mention of push. Searching the AppStore for "Reader" doesn't yield anything.

PS.- it better fetch every minute. Not every 15-30 BS.

Everytime I look at the Reeder app, my latest RSS feeds are available with the badge. I prefer this than the buzzer on my phone going off every 10 seconds. I just want to look at my phone, see my notifications and I'll attend to it on my own time, not because Apple told me to.

BornAgainMac
It is so people can tweet this message reported from an earlier Macrumors post:

"DEAR STEVE I WANT TO KISS YOU HUGS CHOCK"
"I should write to Steve Jobs more often."

:eek:

InfernoShade
Jun 3, 2011, 03:41 PM
Are you guys nuts. If Apple leaves out something as important as Twitter, it's a fail. 190 million users. I'm sure you can turn it off if you don't want it. But to stay current Apple has to do this. And not teaming up with Facebook is a negative. If you want the iPhone to thrive it has to pick up the newest tech and social tech is where it's at. Wake up.

ct2k7
Jun 3, 2011, 03:42 PM
Even though I use Twitter, I'm not sure I actually want this, let alone looking forward to this, if this is true.

Blakjack
Jun 3, 2011, 03:43 PM
If this doesn't force a Facebook app, I don't what will

tasset
Jun 3, 2011, 03:46 PM
Everytime I look at the Reeder app, my latest RSS feeds are available with the badge. I prefer this than the buzzer on my phone going off every 10 seconds. I just want to look at my phone, see my notifications and I'll attend to it on my own time, not because Apple told me to.

Therein lies the problem then. 90% of the feeds I see can wait til I get around to it. But if someone posts a $500 gift card for 50% face value on craigslist or a $50 Mac mini, that I DO want my buzzer to go off for.
Or, hopefully soon enough, people will text me through Twitter Direct Messages andi can tell AT&T to buzz off with their messaging fees.

8CoreWhore
Jun 3, 2011, 03:46 PM
WAIT! So Scoble is publicly stating that the Apple Employee who built Twitter into iOS 5 is leaking information???? That team cannot be bigger than two people. What an ass.

Žalgiris
Jun 3, 2011, 03:47 PM
Lord forbid! Are you kidding? My apartment building in sunny california a block from the beach is full of young social individuals. Guess how we socialize, face to face! Matter of fact, only a few have a computer and non of us care about twitter or facebook. So i would say, its progressive and shaping the very heart of YOUR social circle. I wouldnt want a computer in the middle of my social circle:confused:

If your using a computer to socialize it isnt really social and twitter is not shaping the very heart of our social interactions:rolleyes: Jeeze, a future where we all communicate through the computer is just soulless.

Amen to that.

Porchland
Jun 3, 2011, 03:49 PM
Why would they need to do this? Hasn't it been fairly easy to write apps that talk to twitter for a long time now.. like several years?

It could be as simple as adding a social networking option in Settings to enter your Twitter account info and making it part of the API for app developers to adopt the setting. So you don't have to re-enter it for every app that uses Twitter.

cadillac1234
Jun 3, 2011, 03:49 PM
I use Twitter to promote our Celtic FC supporters club which has followers all over the world. It's amazing how many followers we have (1000+) and we haven't ever really advertised the fact we are on Twitter

It's good to mass communicate upcoming matches, announcements, etc. but I find it really hard to follow conversations between other users.

I guess I'm an old threaded message or RSS feed kind of guy.

*LTD*
Jun 3, 2011, 03:50 PM
Lord forbid! Are you kidding? My apartment building in sunny california a block from the beach is full of young social individuals. Guess how we socialize, face to face! Matter of fact, only a few have a computer and non of us care about twitter or facebook. So i would say, its progressive and shaping the very heart of YOUR social circle. I wouldnt want a computer in the middle of my social circle:confused:

If your using a computer to socialize it isnt really social and twitter is not shaping the very heart of our social interactions:rolleyes: Jeeze, a future where we all communicate through the computer is so soulless. I know people are bored and want it now but if it really is this "Heart of our social interactions", then they'll be singing a different tune.

It's business. It's a growth industry. A powerful medium is a powerful medium. Communicating via computer and mobile devices - in a variety of ways - is a reality we'll all need to live with. No need to use them if you don't want to, just live with them. No other choice, really.

http://www.jeffbullas.com/2011/03/15/twitter-reveals-its-latest-growth-numbers/

What it means for human beings and physical social interaction isn't the point. That's for sociologists to discuss. This is about growth markets in tech, the opportunities to address them, and the potential to appeal to an even wider audience. If it's done right it could be of mutual benefit. Who knows, Apple might jockey for an even closer partnership with Twitter. Apple might even look into buying them. The possibilities are legion.

toddybody
Jun 3, 2011, 03:53 PM

This could signal some sort of partnership or cross-pollination between Apple and Twitter.

People who think social networks are retarded, are pissing in the wind against a massive and ever-growing social phenomenon. It would be downright stupid for Apple to ignore them. The level of integration that is healthy and profitable, however, is certainly something that can be argued.

Either way, this isn't about your own personal preference. It's about being progressive and current with popular social networking services, which are quite frankly, shaping the very heart of our social interactions. It's a market that needs to be addressed, and Twitter is a fast and easy way to communicate. It's not cumbersome as some full-blown networking mechanisms can be. It's lightweight.

Full disclosure, I don't use them much, aside from business and local grass-roots politics in which I'm involved, but they've been incredibly useful for these particular purposes and I can certainly see their utility in so many other areas.

You're absolutely right, my opinion in question is just...an opinion. That said (and without offense), you are the last person to be subjective in these regards. If Apple were baring Social Network integration, youd be there to hail their decision accordingly; sorry LTD, but your legacy of posts delegitamize any banner of subjectivity...Im sure youre an awesome person though:)

Apple already "addresses" this Social Network oriented market through desired applications...Facebook/Twitter apps already exist for those who want them (with notifications!). This "deeper" integration is analogous to Apple's mandatory inclusion of YouTube on the iPhone; of which I really dont use.

And in case you didnt catch it, my snarky comment earlier was more a moral rebuke on those who have replaced real social interaction and relationships, with social networking. Though tech savy, 24, and very open to discarding the status quo when needed...the best friendships I have are based on things that no Social Network could replace (Time Together). But thats just another one of those weird opinion things;)

Stay well

Les Kern
Jun 3, 2011, 03:53 PM
Better ********* be removable.

elhungarian
Jun 3, 2011, 03:54 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

As long as I can upload pics to Facebook without having to launch the Facebook app. :/

AlexH
Jun 3, 2011, 03:55 PM
Very cool. :cool:

HitchHykr
Jun 3, 2011, 03:55 PM
This reminds me of all the hoopla with the youtube integration in previous presentations. Sometimes Apple tries too hard or tries to get ahead of the game.

toddybody
Jun 3, 2011, 03:56 PM
Oh, Jeez, No

Yeah, but W8 is looking like a nightmare of Social Networking widgets...

dgree03
Jun 3, 2011, 03:56 PM
What about deeply intergrating everything like android does? That would be a great start to getting me back to iOS!

morespce54
Jun 3, 2011, 03:57 PM
Article Link: More Claims of 'Deep' Twitter Integration in iOS 5 (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/03/more-claims-of-deep-twitter-integration-in-ios-5/)

That's it, when iOS 5 will be out, I'll officially be an ol'timer...
Not a PINGer, not a TWEETer, not an ANGRY BIRDer... and I still use emails...

h0mi
Jun 3, 2011, 03:59 PM
I use twitter but rarely tweet. I follow people. I wished this integration was more open... that is let me share whatever platform (twitter, tumblr, facebook, etc.) to "integrate" with instead of only really working well with 1 and forget all the rest. (at least they picked Twitter instead of Ping).

toddybody
Jun 3, 2011, 03:59 PM
That's it, when iOS 5 will be out, I'll officially be an ol'timer...
Not a PINGer, not a TWEETer, not an ANGRY BIRDer... and I still use emails...

Youre OK in my book friend:)

franswa za
Jun 3, 2011, 04:00 PM
You're absolutely right, my opinion in question is just...an opinion. That said (and without offense), you are the last person to be subjective in these regards. If Apple were baring Social Network integration, youd be there to hail their decision accordingly; sorry LTD, but your legacy of posts delegitamize any banner of subjectivity...Im sure youre an awesome person though:)

Apple already "addresses" this Social Network oriented market through desired applications...Facebook/Twitter apps already exist for those who want them (with notifications!). This "deeper" integration is analogous to Apple's mandatory inclusion of YouTube on the iPhone; of which I really dont use.

And in case you didnt catch it, my snarky comment earlier was more a moral rebuke on those who have replaced real social interaction and relationships, with social networking. Though tech savy, 24, and very open to discarding the status quo when needed...the best friendships I have are based on things that no Social Network could replace (Time Together). But thats just another one of those weird opinion things;)

Stay well

wow, your command of "the" grammar is impressive........ :)

what is it with global obsessivenissmissness 'bout wanting to be so part of social media.. being published, quoted, .......contrapunctcus et al?

and what am i doing on this blog, and some of us?

eish papi

;)

let's just ping each udder.............

*LTD*
Jun 3, 2011, 04:01 PM
If Apple were baring Social Network integration, youd be there to hail their decision accordingly

Quite honestly, it wouldn't really affect me. But Id' be left a bit puzzled as to why they adopted that position. But they don't actually bar it, nor would they. Which wouldn't make sense anyway.

Their decision for closer integration, however, is a smart one. It would be smart for any of Apple's competitors to do it as well. Though if they did I wouldn't really care since I have no interest in other platforms aside from natural comparisons with Apple.

toddybody
Jun 3, 2011, 04:05 PM
and what am i doing on this blog, and some of us?

Ha ha ha! Yeah, I guess MR falls into that category a bit:p

Touche my freind touche!

franswa za
Jun 3, 2011, 04:09 PM
ha ha ha! Yeah, i guess mr falls into that category a bit:p

touche my freind touche!

+300

also thinking about my father, but then, i have become him....

DaveDaveDave
Jun 3, 2011, 04:12 PM
99.999% of the power of Twitter has never been recognized let alone tapped. There's a lot more to it than posting what the likes of Sarah Palin and Martin Sheen do. Machine to machine tweets, twitter as a message bus, open auth - you can build a lot with the technology.

I don't think Apple is thinking "Winning".

Dave

miamialley
Jun 3, 2011, 04:12 PM
Who cares about twitter.

kerryb
Jun 3, 2011, 04:13 PM
"Next week will be a huge week for those of us who have lived on Twitter for last few years."

That is not called living that is called wasting time until you die.

hofer
Jun 3, 2011, 04:13 PM
Meh, nobody I know uses Twitter....
I hope this isn't a focal point of the event

I feel the same way. Nobody I know - including myself - really "get" twitter. I have had an account for a couple of years, and have twitter running most of the time, but I rarely look at it. I just can't understand what the big deal is about it and why Apple would want to make it part of IOS.

sblanford
Jun 3, 2011, 04:22 PM
I wish I cared about Twitter.

I don't get how twitter could possibly improve my life. The only thing it could possibly do is suck more time away from me.

iPhonedHome
Jun 3, 2011, 04:23 PM
Hmmm..... kinda like the 'deep' integration facebook was to have in iOS 4?

Uh no and big whoop if true. Steve and Co. are going to have to do MUUUUUUUUCH better than that!

Phooto
Jun 3, 2011, 04:24 PM
More iOS 5 details.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/156277/20110602/iso-5-iphone-5-wwdc-2011-apple.htm#page8

cube
Jun 3, 2011, 04:30 PM
Another waste of time like Ping.

The Beatles
Jun 3, 2011, 04:36 PM
More iOS 5 details.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/156277/20110602/iso-5-iphone-5-wwdc-2011-apple.htm#page8

That home screen does not look like the "info design" apple is capable of. We will see but its my bet that the home screen will not look like that. But i hope it displays all that info some how.

louis Fashion
Jun 3, 2011, 04:45 PM
Twitter OFF BUTTON?

Greg McBride
Jun 3, 2011, 04:49 PM
So many posts about how stupid Twitter is, etc. MacRumors has over 114,000 Twitter followers, so someone here must like it! I happen to be a huge Twitter user. It's a very valuable research and marketing tool if used properly. I think one of Twitter's biggest problems is that figuring out what to do with it is not very intuitive. You have to do a bit of research and trial and error to really find a valuable use. But, once you get over the learning curve, it's very useful. With that said, I realize that it's definitely not for everyone. That's cool. Those of us that use it will like the integration. Those that don't use it will hopefully not find the integration to obtrusive.

Žalgiris
Jun 3, 2011, 04:52 PM
More iOS 5 details.

Fake bs it's what it is.

alectheking
Jun 3, 2011, 04:53 PM
More iOS 5 details.

Thats a joke, right?

Greg McBride
Jun 3, 2011, 04:55 PM
More iOS 5 details.

Yeah, that's got to be fake. The grammar is atrocious on the slides. No way that's an Apple presentation.

Full of Win
Jun 3, 2011, 05:00 PM
99.999% of the power of Twitter has never been recognized let alone tapped. There's a lot more to it than posting what the likes of Sarah Palin and Martin Sheen do. Machine to machine tweets, twitter as a message bus, open auth - you can build a lot with the technology.

I don't think Apple is thinking "Winning".

Dave

99.999...wow I never knew we only have seen 1/100,000 th of the power of twitter. :rolleyes:

ct2k7
Jun 3, 2011, 05:01 PM
More simple than never....

Darwing
Jun 3, 2011, 05:01 PM

WHO CARES ABOUT TWITTER!!!!?????

Honestly if this is what iOS 5 is all about I'm getting rid of my phone, there is so much room for improvement and they are focused on twitter???

Seriously at least go with Facebook if ur going to Intergrate something

Benjamins
Jun 3, 2011, 05:02 PM
now that they twitted about it, twitter integration will be removed this weekend...

cere
Jun 3, 2011, 05:02 PM
More iOS 5 details.

That. was. hilarious.

Some nice ideas, conceptually, but anyone actually buying into those being from Apple is incredibly naive.

Mr. Gates
Jun 3, 2011, 05:04 PM
If it was Facebook we were talking about, I think you would see less complaints.

Full of Win
Jun 3, 2011, 05:07 PM
More iOS 5 details.

If somebody wants to make a fake keynote...do it right

1. Font of iOS and 5 are different
2. Typing on screens is too small
3. Too many words on each slide
4. Too many screenshots - this is usually done with a demo, not screen shots.
5. Steve Jobs does not, generally speaking, write his keynotes in Chinese and then use Google Translate to convert them to English.

Bigdaddyguido
Jun 3, 2011, 05:10 PM
Wirelessly posted (Iphone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Man, all you guys not using twitter are missing out. It's not (just) about following friends, I use it for news. Vastly superior way to stay up on the news, particularly local news. I for oneam curious to hear what these new features could be. Things like automatically using local traffic tweets to improve the maps function or local business tweets to aid yelp search results could be interesting.

Also, it's so boring to read feeds of a bunch of people claiming they don't use x service, clearly many, many people love twitter, if it's not for you, skip this thread and move on.

PeterQVenkman
Jun 3, 2011, 05:10 PM

I must be missing something.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/facebook/id284882215?mt=8

Also, it's so boring to read feeds of a bunch of people claiming they don't use x service, clearly many, many people love twitter, if it's not for you, skip this thread and move on.

Nobody is forcing you to read those posts.

Darwing
Jun 3, 2011, 05:12 PM

Wirelessly posted (Iphone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Man, all you guys not using twitter are missing out. It's not (just) about following friends, I use it for news. Vastly superior way to stay up on the news, particularly local news. I for oneam curious to hear what these new features could be. Things like automatically using local traffic tweets to improve the maps function or local business tweets to aid yelp search results could be interesting.

Wait you said we can get updates on news on there!!!!?????

What on earth have I been missing out on? This need a full keynote all to itself!!!

johneaston
Jun 3, 2011, 05:13 PM
On this thread it took 26 posts for someone to say something positive about Twitter.

I never use Twitter, and don't ever want to. Like Bebo, Myspace, Friends Reunited, Ping etc., I think it's a fad. Apple isn't a fad, it's a long-term commitment to an operating system and I really hope they aren't associating themselves too closely with Twitter.

Bigdaddyguido
Jun 3, 2011, 05:16 PM

What on earth have I been missing out on? This need a full keynote all to itself!!!

Ok... So by your logic, RSS feeds are useless since websites exist? I'm not sure where in my post you thought I acted like twitter is the best thing ever, I'm just saying that I've gotten news through twitter which would never have existed otherwise that really helped me out. Like at a music festival, you can know where the longest lines are to scoid those shows or show up early enough to get in.

Anyway, you seem to just want to be a jerk for the sake of being a jerk. Enjoy that. I'm going to continue to use good services for good purposes.

Carl Sagan
Jun 3, 2011, 05:17 PM

People who talk about not using it. Boring as hell, if you don't like something why do you care if it gets used and other people get to enjoy it?:confused:

Bigdaddyguido
Jun 3, 2011, 05:24 PM

I must be missing something.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/facebook/id284882215?mt=8

Nobody is forcing you to read those posts.

You clearly don't own an iPad. No Facebook app for the iPad, and it's stupid as hell.

Also, I want to read this thread because I'm actually interested, you know, in the thread. Don't defend the jerks highjacking the thread to bitch and moan, and tell me, whose actually posting things relevant to the topic, to go away.

Dr Kevorkian94
Jun 3, 2011, 05:25 PM
I've used twitter once and that is when I made the account, but I'd rather have Facebook. I don't use Facebook that much but it would be welcomed, but good for those who do use it. I don't mind it as long as it doesn't get in the way ie and app I can't delete. But other than that it's fine with me

tadunne
Jun 3, 2011, 05:25 PM
I think they are going To do App services, which will be similar to mac services

Devs can register their app with the system advertising the types of data their app can handle and what methods are available.

This way any app can have "deep" intergation with the os.

for example:

You select some text then select the "service" option this will show a list of app the apps that can deal with text. You select twitter then you can select to post a new tweet based on the text. In the background the twitter app is spun up and a tweet is posted without leaving the app you are in. Same could easily be done for Facebook posts.

Another example you select a picture in the photos app then select service. flickr, face kook, twitter are listed. you select flickr then upload image. Consuming an image service could also be done by selecting an image in an email or on a web page.

If Apple decide to do widgets then the services could easily be consumed by these widgets.. A widget for posting a tweet for example.

Of course the user will have full control on which apps are available as a service.

david77
Jun 3, 2011, 05:28 PM

I'm guessing Apple reached out but Zuckerberg didn't want to play. I have a feeling that Monday Facebook is going to be kicking themselves. It's also kind funny that you would want Facebook integration but not Twitter.

Darwing
Jun 3, 2011, 05:32 PM

Ok... So by your logic, RSS feeds are useless since websites exist? I'm not sure where in my post you thought I acted like twitter is the best thing ever, I'm just saying that I've gotten news through twitter which would never have existed otherwise that really helped me out. Like at a music festival, you can know where the longest lines are to scoid those shows or show up early enough to get in.

Anyway, you seem to just want to be a jerk for the sake of being a jerk. Enjoy that. I'm going to continue to use good services for good purposes.

Listen I'm not being a jerk, I'm being sarcastic. A full integration for a service that is simply merely "app" worthy isn't something to focus on in a developers conference. Android already has mass integration of Facebook and twitter throughout their OS, but you don't see them holding a conference for it.

The shear fact that they are excited to announce this is lowering the value of the operating system.

Yes there is goingto be a new notification system (thank god) and basically everything that jailbreakers work for should be a full integration like better email integration throughout the whole system... NOT TWITTER!!

Twitter is decent for an app or widget but for what the rumors are talking about is outlandish and uncalled for lowering the expectations of a highly anticipated operating upgrade

Bigdaddyguido
Jun 3, 2011, 05:34 PM

I'm guessing Apple reached out but Zuckerberg didn't want to play. I have a feeling that Monday Facebook is going to be kicking themselves. It's also kind funny that you would want Facebook integration but not Twitter.

Possible. Also possible is that Facebook wouldn't really be useful for what they're doing. Facebook is trying to play catch up to twitters live feed, but the lack of a character limit really hampers the valuableness of Facebook for thus kind of thing. Facebook is great for talking to friends you have in real life, twitter is for getting information people you may not actually be friends with.

Funkymonk
Jun 3, 2011, 05:37 PM
I don't see the big deal with twitter. Seems lame and boring as hell

Bigdaddyguido
Jun 3, 2011, 05:38 PM

Listen I'm not being a jerk, I'm being sarcastic. A full integration for a service that is simply merely "app" worthy isn't something to focus on in a developers conference. Android already has mass integration of Facebook and twitter throughout their OS, but you don't see them holding a conference for it.

The shear fact that they are excited to announce this is lowering the value of the operating system.

Yes there is goingto be a new notification system (thank god) and basically everything that jailbreakers work for should be a full integration like better email integration throughout the whole system... NOT TWITTER!!

Twitter is decent for an app or widget but for what the rumors are talking about is outlandish and uncalled for lowering the expectations of a highly anticipated operating upgrade

So you have inside info that they won't actually announce more info on lion or the rest iOS 5 or icloud? Because clearly this one rumor is going to take up the WHOLE presentation. In fact, apple nay just shut down and become s developer for twitter.

See sarcasm has a place, and being a hyperbolic jerk on a forum isn't helpful.

PeterQVenkman
Jun 3, 2011, 05:40 PM
You clearly don't own an iPad.

No Facebook app for the iPad, and it's stupid as hell.

I did not know that, because I do not own an iPad. I assumed you meant the iPhone, since you were posting from one:

Also, I want to read this thread because I'm actually interested, you know, in the thread.

Congratulations. I guess.

Don't defend the jerks highjacking the thread to bitch and moan, and tell me, whose actually posting things relevant to the topic, to go away.

OK, I went back and read my post (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=12679136&postcount=111).

1) I didn't defend them.
2) I didn't tell you to go away.
3) Now you're bitching and moaning.
4) Nothing in your post quoted here was relevant to Twitter in iOS 5.

andrewsd
Jun 3, 2011, 05:41 PM
Who cares. I'd rather have facebook photo integration. I'm not a big FB user but have noticed I do post more photos since I've had the fb app on my iPhone. It's usually just odd/funny type photos I see while out a d abou on my travels. I'm sure some people are salivating over this though!

iphoneZ
Jun 3, 2011, 05:44 PM
is it legally required to refer to him/it as "Daring Fireball's John Gruber?" (Mac Gruber?) extremely annoying blatant self promotion

Darwing
Jun 3, 2011, 05:44 PM

So you have inside info that they won't actually announce more info on lion or the rest iOS 5 or icloud? Because clearly this one rumor is going to take up the WHOLE presentation. In fact, apple nay just shut down and become s developer for twitter.

See sarcasm has a place, and being a hyperbolic jerk on a forum isn't helpful.

Yes doely noted, and I took your sarcasm as humorous and whitty, with an underlying message, stop taking offense where none was given and take the underlying message from it.

Or you could just go back to taking sensitivity classes and we would all be rid of your emo ways towards defending apple and their twitter integration.

Finally, yes they will be announcing quite a lot at this developers conference, but I feel that this rumor isn't worthy of even mentioning at the conference. It should be one of those things that is just a given, and something that u find out about while everyday use is occurring.

maclaptop
Jun 3, 2011, 05:50 PM
I'm sure there will be an option to opt out and switch Twitter API support off in the same way they do for Push Notifications.

No chance.

Apples going to grab more info from it's customers than the US government.

You think you're being watched now?

Crank up the denial fanboys. You're gonna need it.

What else will the nefarious leader pull next?

Damn, so much for Apple

Bigdaddyguido
Jun 3, 2011, 05:51 PM

is it legally required to refer to him/it as "Daring Fireball's John Gruber?" (Mac Gruber?) extremely annoying blatant self promotion

How do I not read posts without going sway?

How was my first post, not the response to you not on topic? It was about how this could be useful.

Look, you're being friendly now and not just being snarky about me being excited about what this announcement could be, but if you re-read my post and your response, maybe you can see how I got the idea that you were just being rude because you don't like twitter, so therefore no one should.

writingdevil
Jun 3, 2011, 05:56 PM
So many posts about how stupid Twitter is, etc. MacRumors has over 114,000 Twitter followers, so someone here must like it! I happen to be a huge Twitter user. It's a very valuable research and marketing tool if used properly. I think one of Twitter's biggest problems is that figuring out what to do with it is not very intuitive. You have to do a bit of research and trial and error to really find a valuable use. But, once you get over the learning curve, it's very useful. With that said, I realize that it's definitely not for everyone. That's cool. Those of us that use it will like the integration. Those that don't use it will hopefully not find the integration to obtrusive.
it may be a generational thing, although i have lots of buds who are very tech savvy, some are programmers, a developer, but would not, in a million years, explore "social" kind of things. when "social" is used all the "got to talk in person or it's not real" people roll their eyes or shrug it off to non-communication, but it's fast and short with lot's of potential. the right people have to manage the uses of it because in some of the poster's hands here it would be a disaster.
i also agree that making the effort is a smart move by apple to keep working a younger market, though some "pros' seem offended, but hopefully nothing will be forced down their pipes and i am quite sure nothing else is being delayed in apple creative labs due to twitter coming on board.
seems a kind of silly thrashing although it is friday and maybe people have free time (or lots of work week pressure to spew at something)

BlindMellon
Jun 3, 2011, 06:03 PM
It would be nice if they gave us the option of hiding icons that we don't want to use. Half of the Apple apps I never use, and as you said, i can't delete them.
That's what folders are for. ;)

How about Apple "deeply integrating" it into iOS5?

NorCalLights
Jun 3, 2011, 06:04 PM
Makes me sad that some of the creative energy of Apple has been pissed away working on this. Would have preferred to see it spent on something more meaningful.

You haven't seen what they've done yet... want to hold off judgement?

stevemiller
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

People can argue for twitters legitimate uses, but they can't argue that it does encourage a lot of annoying narcissistic behavior too, and I'm pretty sure these new iOS features will mainly benefit the latter

Benjamins
Who cares. I'd rather have facebook photo integration. I'm not a big FB user but have noticed I do post more photos since I've had the fb app on my iPhone. It's usually just odd/funny type photos I see while out a d abou on my travels. I'm sure some people are salivating over this though!

I think part of the reason there's no talk about facebook integration's because facebook doesn't allow apple to use ping with facebook.

If true, part of me think Apple invested in Twitter.

PeterQVenkman
Jun 3, 2011, 06:07 PM
How do I not read posts without going away?

1) The same way you stop reading a book without going away.
2) Set the user who posted to ignore in your user CP if they continue to make posts you dislike.

How was my first post, not the response to you not on topic?

I don't know. I never read it nor commented on that specific post.

Look, you're being friendly now and not just being snarky about me being excited about what this announcement could be, but if you re-read my post and your response, maybe you can see how I got the idea that you were just being rude because you don't like twitter, so therefore no one should.

Nobody here is out to pick on you, and one can't read tone of voice in a forum post, so please don't assume people are being rude when they disagree with your point of view. Some of my favorite posters on here are people who have the opposite opinions of me. They keep me thinking.

writingdevil
Jun 3, 2011, 06:09 PM

"Yes doely noted, and I took your sarcasm as humorous and whitty, with an underlying message, stop taking offense where none was given and take the underlying message from it.

Or you could just go back to taking sensitivity classes and we would all be rid of your emo ways towards defending apple and their twitter integration.

Finally, yes they will be announcing quite a lot at this developers conference, but I feel that this rumor isn't worthy of even mentioning at the conference. It should be one of those things that is just a given, and something that u find out about while everyday use is occurring.

well, i guess that some developers will include twitter in their creative thinking. it's on the forefront of a huge market. that may change, but apple's growth hasn't been decided by people sitting on the fence throwing rocks at the guys in the ring working new concepts into existence. i'm a fan of apple's looking at where the puck will be, not where it was, is or where i (somebody) wants it to be. kill the chance to take creative risks, kill creativity. not why i use apple and the film companies i've worked for use it for film editing, feature animation, television production, music videos, news shows and more.

Ed91
Jun 3, 2011, 06:09 PM
I have no idea what this "deep integration" could be, but it's wrong to think of twitter as merely a social networking tool. I have a twitter account, though I rarely tweet.

Twitter can be a beautiful social search engine. If you're looking to see if something has recently happened to everyone and not just just you, or if someone has had, and solved the same issue, you'll find it. This is limited to users of twitter tweeting, but I usually find what I need.

Also, Twitter is so fast paced that it can be hard to control. This is both a positive, where freedoms of speech are concerned, and a negative, when heresay spreads like wildfire.

What I see as the true power of Twitter is that it ISN'T personal unless you make it that way. Until then, it's just a hugely powerful communication tool, for better, for worse.

(marc)
Jun 3, 2011, 06:10 PM
Aw, yet another excuse for Apple users to be annoyingly egotistical...

Bigdaddyguido
Jun 3, 2011, 06:10 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

People can argue for twitters legitimate uses, but they can't argue that it does encourage a lot of annoying narcissistic behavior too, and I'm pretty sure these new iOS features will mainly benefit the latter

Give me proof that a non-narcissist has been converted by twitter to become shallow and self-centered? Do you even use twitter? Are you aware that many people use twitter and NEVER talk about what they're doing? How can you possibly know what these features are and how they'll affect users? Are you posting from the future? (if so, any stock tips???)

It just feels like an awful lot of people who are very clueless about this topic are acting like they're needs are so important that whatever this feature is, it's beneath them, and a waste of everyone's tome for it to exist.

Bigdaddyguido
Jun 3, 2011, 06:13 PM

How do I not read posts without going away?

1) The same way you stop reading a book without going away.
2) Set the user who posted to ignore in your user CP if they continue to make posts you dislike.

How was my first post, not the response to you not on topic?

I don't know. I never read it nor commented on that specific post.

Nobody here is out to pick on you, and one can't read tone of voice in a forum post, so please don't assume people are being rude when they disagree with your point of view. Some of my favorite posters on here are people who have the opposite opinions of me. They keep me thinking.

I understand positive discourse. They didn't actually counter my ideas, or even talk about them, they said that checking the news was nothing new. Ok... Good point, I guess, but I'm not sure if it expanded my knowledge about anything.

writingdevil
Jun 3, 2011, 06:20 PM
I think they are going To do App services, which will be similar to mac services

Devs can register their app with the system advertising the types of data their app can handle and what methods are available.

for example:

You select some text then select the "service" option this will show a list of app the apps that can deal with text. You select twitter then you can select to post a new tweet based on the text. In the background the twitter app is spun up and a tweet is posted without leaving the app you are in. Same could easily be done for Facebook posts.

Another example you select a picture in the photos app then select service. flickr, face kook, twitter are listed. you select flickr then upload image. Consuming an image service could also be done by selecting an image in an email or on a web page.

If Apple decide to do widgets then the services could easily be consumed by these widgets.. A widget for posting a tweet for example.

Of course the user will have full control on which apps are available as a service.

i hope you're a developer. there's a lot of potential in taking creative steps like this, and also a downside, but apple has never been shy about taking risks, which is why i like apple and their products. there is so much negative about the twitter issue, after reading a lot of them i can only chalk it up to people who are more interested in things within their view of creativity, and i'm sure it's a wide view. this just happens to hit some people the wrong way but i think developers who are attracted to it will make it sing, and that's why i like the app store. lot's of different choices for different types of people.

skellener
Jun 3, 2011, 06:26 PM
I think I'd rather have iPhoto Home Sharing to ALL iOS devices instead of "deep Twitter integration". Only the AppleTV2 and another Mac work with that now. I can't access all my photos in iPhoto on the iPad while on the same network.

vincenz
Jun 3, 2011, 06:29 PM
Really really don't care about twitter even the tiniest bit.

Bigdaddyguido
Jun 3, 2011, 06:29 PM

for example:

i hope you're a developer. there's a lot of potential in taking creative steps like this, and also a downside, but apple has never been shy about taking risks, which is why i like apple and their products. there is so much negative about the twitter issue, after reading a lot of them i can only chalk it up to people who are more interested in things within their view of creativity, and i'm sure it's a wide view. this just happens to hit some people the wrong way but i think developers who are attracted to it will make it sing, and that's why i like the app store. lot's of different choices for different types of people.

Great ideas in these posts. Twitter really seems like a better advertising technique for developers than many other resources, but adding more collaborative ways to spread ideas would really help both apple's developers and twitters relevance as a service

ASKendrew
Jun 3, 2011, 06:33 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I really hope this is true! I guess we'll have to wait and see though...

TallManNY
Jun 3, 2011, 06:39 PM
I've started using Twitter this spring while watching NBA playoffs. I set it up to follow a bunch of basketball analysts. It is pretty cool because as watching the game I'm also getting real time analysis that is much much better than the announcers. It is also an upgrade over the normal chatter of the guys at the sports bar. Not a replacement, but definitely a nice addition.

I'm interested to see what Apple does here. They might screw it up but supposedly we are going to love it. Let's wait and see.

LarryC
Jun 3, 2011, 06:41 PM
I've never use Twitter. Is this really that necessary?

Is it even worthy of being a front page headline/story? I really don't think so.

Bigdaddyguido
Jun 3, 2011, 06:49 PM

I've started using Twitter this spring while watching NBA playoffs. I set it up to follow a bunch of basketball analysts. It is pretty cool because as watching the game I'm also getting real time analysis that is much much better than the announcers. It is also an upgrade over the normal chatter of the guys at the sports bar. Not a replacement, but definitely a nice addition.

I'm interested to see what Apple does here. They might screw it up but supposedly we are going to love it. Let's wait and see.

Sports are what finally sold me on twitter as well after being on the fence for a year. Journalist really use the service to the fullest. Heres to hoping apple makes twitter more tech/developer relevant.

Robin4
Jun 3, 2011, 07:00 PM
I have no idea what this "deep integration" could be, but it's wrong to think of twitter as merely a social networking tool. I have a twitter account, though I rarely tweet.

Twitter can be a beautiful social search engine. If you're looking to see if something has recently happened to everyone and not just just you, or if someone has had, and solved the same issue, you'll find it. This is limited to users of twitter tweeting, but I usually find what I need.

Also, Twitter is so fast paced that it can be hard to control. This is both a positive, where freedoms of speech are concerned, and a negative, when heresay spreads like wildfire.

What I see as the true power of Twitter is that it ISN'T personal unless you make it that way. Until then, it's just a hugely powerful communication tool,
for better, for worse.

That's what I was thinking. I hate Facebook, Ping, etc. I don't like to know every little thing about anyone I may know. But, I am interested in reading news as it happens. I would like to read what someone interesting i.e., politician, writer, columnist, geek, etc. is thinking at a time that things are
happening.

I hope socializing is the least important fact about is new tool. It might be interesting. If I don't like it, I'll move it to the last page.

Robin4
Jun 3, 2011, 07:02 PM

What I see as the true power of Twitter is that it ISN'T personal unless you make it that way. Until then, it's just a hugely powerful communication tool,
for better, for worse.

That's what I was thinking. I hate Facebook, Ping, etc. I don't like to know every little thing about anyone I may know. But, I am interested in reading news as it happens. I would like to read what someone interesting i.e.,
politician, writer, columnist, geek, etc. is thinking at a time that things are
happening.

I hope socializing is the least important fact about is new tool. It might be interesting. If I don't like this, I'll move it to the last page.

KnightWRX
Jun 3, 2011, 07:05 PM
I hope it's not like Ping where they shove a "Twitter!" button all over (Camera app, pictures app, e-mail app, stocks app, etc..) with little to not way to disable them. :rolleyes:

brsboarder
Jun 3, 2011, 07:13 PM
glad to see apple wasting their time on this crap instead of something meaningful

NAG
Jun 3, 2011, 07:16 PM
glad to see apple wasting their time on this crap instead of something meaningful

Maybe someday Apple will hire more than one programmer.

The Beatles
Jun 3, 2011, 07:21 PM

The problem is people who use it for marketing and promotion end up just posting BS link bait.

I really don't care as long as it doesn't get in my way. But the pro twitter arguments are old. I've been in the SM mix for four years now and still am not impressed. You inspire and compell audiences with rich experiences. Though if your demographic is on twitter it works for customer service and analysis.

Reach9
Jun 3, 2011, 07:32 PM
Twitter is probably one of the best advancements in social networking, it's so versatile, much more than Facebook.

Don't paint Twitter with a bad colour just because narcissists use it, and tweens speak with celebs and tweet their daily activities online.

SeattleMoose
Jun 3, 2011, 07:42 PM
Apple putting "bloatware for tweens" on their iToys....how thrilling.

Santabean2000
Jun 3, 2011, 07:55 PM
Twitter-Shmitter.Wake me up when there's something interesting.

hexor
Jun 3, 2011, 08:06 PM
How about we wait to see what is actually revealed instead of pooping on the party before it even started.

w00t951
Jun 3, 2011, 08:06 PM
I hope it doesn't get in the way of people like me who don't use Twitter.

Silverfist
Jun 3, 2011, 08:12 PM

As long as I can hide whatever Twitter interface they have, I'm fine; I've never used it, and fairly sure I never will.

Twitters never win.

YourHerojb
Jun 3, 2011, 08:22 PM
I think Apple gets that not many people care about twitter.
They're not about to make some mistake by going to extreme with it, all I'm getting is that photos will have an option to upload to twitter thats accessible with a tap or two.

*LTD*
Jun 3, 2011, 08:26 PM
I think Apple gets that not many people care about twitter.

Negative.

They get that a lot of people do care about Twitter.

http://blog.twitter.com/2010/12/stocking-stuffer.html

You're thinking of *you* and MacRumors folk.

Jyby
Jun 3, 2011, 08:27 PM
God can we get a new rumor? I wouldn't even care if it was fake... I'm sick and tired of seeing this twitter rumor...

The boredom makes me want to create a twitter~

*LTD*
Jun 3, 2011, 08:39 PM
God can we get a new rumor? I wouldn't even care if it was fake... I'm sick and tired of seeing this twitter rumor...

The boredom makes me want to create a twitter~

It would be interesting if you tweeted how sick you are of hearing about Twitter.

DriveByPoster
Jun 3, 2011, 08:47 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

They are combining Ping with Twitter.

It will be called iPitter.

Facebook is in trouble.

k1121j
Jun 3, 2011, 08:53 PM
What do you bet this is payback for FaceBook not playing nice with Ping.

Jyby
Jun 3, 2011, 08:55 PM
It would be interesting if you tweeted how sick you are of hearing about Twitter.

Haha how original :D

I really hope Apple expands PinG!

I'd rather PinG it up than TwiT.

Ping should be more than an iTunes social network

Full of Win
Jun 3, 2011, 09:01 PM
All I ask for is a switch that allows the toggling of twitter integration. The last thing I need is another button to wade through.

Jyby
Jun 3, 2011, 09:09 PM
Yeah, there are already like 4 buttons on the screen for choices...

It would be cool to disable those as well...

Its like useless advertising

newdeal
Jun 3, 2011, 09:19 PM
I dont care about twitter but it must mean notifications will be improved because it would be really annoying to have tweets pop up and need to be hidden evey 10 seconds on your phone

ericinboston
Jun 3, 2011, 09:23 PM
1)Twitter has always been a fad...I'm extremely surprised it's lasted this long

2)Twitter, as a company, is in huge trouble...pick up any trade magazine and you will see how many CEOs and CXOs have walked in/out of Twitter over the past 18 months.

3)Twitter, IMO, is soooooo archaic...using # symbols and so many other crazy things to communicate. What year is it again?

4)Not sure what the value of Twitter is really. Do the majority of humans really need to "follow" someone every minute of the day? Not us working folk!

IMO Twitter will be as dead as MySpace by mid 2012.

LoganT
Jun 3, 2011, 09:25 PM
I've noticed that people have a fundamental misunderstanding of how people use Twitter.

*LTD*
Jun 3, 2011, 09:33 PM
1)Twitter has always been a fad...I'm extremely surprised it's lasted this long

So it's not a fad, then.

Jyby
Jun 3, 2011, 09:34 PM
So it's not a fad, then.

Definitely a trend now

Bear
Jun 3, 2011, 09:51 PM
I wish I cared about Twitter.I don't care how integrated it is as long as it doesn't get in my way.

I've dropped using an app that seems to ask a couple of times a day if I want to log in to twitter. A GAME App at that. I don't care about twitter. And I'd care less about it during a game.

DeathChill
Jun 3, 2011, 09:53 PM
I am just excited I get to learn more about my favorite person, Justin Bee-A-Ber, right from my mobile OS!

I kid, I kid. I am interested to see what this integration means.

stevemiller
Jun 3, 2011, 09:59 PM

So snarky. I do have twitter. I understand it's 'beneficial' uses. But every single person I know uses it to blab about their day or spam self promotion. And they get offended if their friends don't follow them. If you really believe in twitter you should be upset with that nonsense too. It's real and it turns a lot of people off. and making it easier to post photos of your day or 4square your location is catering to the narcissuses waay more that timely journalistic update crowd.

cvaldes
Jun 3, 2011, 10:05 PM
I hope it doesn't get in the way of people like me who don't use Twitter.
It would be opt-in and configurable, just like almost everything else on an iDevice.

You can turn off push notifications, location services, etc. You don't have to configure e-mail on your iDevice. You don't have to use the calendar. You don't have to take pictures. You can turn off 3G data. Heck, you can put your iDevice in Airplane Mode or use it as a nice flashlight.

You're not forced to use anything on an iDevice.

benhollberg
Jun 3, 2011, 10:06 PM
Twitter integration would be the best feature in iOS 5.

localoid
Jun 3, 2011, 10:14 PM
Less bickering about the value of Twitter and more wild speculation about what sort of "deep" integration might entail, please.

Pics (alone) sounds pretty dull, but Pics/Video/Audio/Docs/Maps/Polls/Short-URLs/iCloud/APIs integration could be interesting...

deannnnn
Jun 3, 2011, 10:35 PM

What about facebook?

This guy's post got like 10 thumbs down, which just means this one will too... but I agree. Nobody uses Twitter, everyone uses Facebook, and since the Facebook app is just aweful, I wouldn't mind having full integration on my phone.

JeremyWesley
Jun 3, 2011, 10:42 PM
They are going to use twitter as the back bone for their find friends location services and what feinds said about places you are near. It's lightweight, compared to Facebook. That's why the chose twitter. Facebook could do this as well but they are seen as a compeditor sine they a building their own fb droid phone.
That's my educated guess to what they are doing.

michaelcyee
Jun 3, 2011, 10:47 PM
This guy's post got like 10 thumbs down, which just means this one will too... but I agree. Nobody uses Twitter, everyone uses Facebook, and since the Facebook app is just aweful, I wouldn't mind having full integration on my phone.

Wrong.

Twitter is often where news leaks out because people slipped up. It's much more personal than say, email or Facebook. Such as how Peter Hajas candidly mentioned said that he was going to work for a company in CA that has "fruit" in it (tweet later deleted). Or how that one person was live-blogging the raid on Osama bin Laden's compound. After that, someone tweeted that bin Laden was dead about 2-3 hours before Obama made his speech, generating a bunch of buzz. Or how the whole world found out that Obama thought Kayne West was a "jackass" for what he did to Taylor Swift (tweet later quickly deleted since it was off the record).

Twitter has also been credited for aiding people during the recent Egyptian Revolution.

benhollberg
Jun 3, 2011, 10:50 PM
Twitter also once had a scheduled maintenance time when only certain features would be available for a couple hours. This was during an election I think in the Middle East and that country requested that Twitter change their maintenance time because the government thought it was the best way to spread news.

Chocolatemilty
Jun 3, 2011, 10:56 PM
Too many holier-than-thous on this forum. Ridiculous. Being a college student with a college hip hop radio show, I use Twitter all the time to network with artists for appearances on our show and elsewhere in the community. Don't knock it unless you understand its use. Those who are ignorant will always flame and tarnish what they don't know. It's silly. Come on now, act like adults.

With that said, I'd absolutely love for Twitter to be more deeply rooted in iOS 5, with an option to turn it off for those who don't want to use the feature. To deny a feature that'll improve the interface and functionality of a service for those who don't want to use it is foolhardy and everyone on this forum knows that.

benhollberg
Jun 3, 2011, 10:58 PM
I hope there is a non-removable Twitter app so that you all learn the value of the service.

The Beatles
Jun 3, 2011, 11:17 PM
I hope there is a non-removable Twitter app so that you all learn the value of the service.

well thanks for looking out for the rest of humanity. but we are a versatile race and what you see as value might not be for others. and to be honest, after years of making my living in front of a computer i've grown to dislike them to a degree. Im now enjoying more time away from electronic gizmos than in front of them.

I hope one day you find the value in that :p (take it easy, just messing around...see now if we were face to face i wouldnt have to explain that i was joking. you would intuitively pick up on it. "use the force")

ajohnson253
Jun 3, 2011, 11:20 PM
I actually using twitter.

striven
Jun 3, 2011, 11:49 PM
Twitter to replace the Text app on the iPhone??

ssk2
Jun 4, 2011, 01:14 AM
Too many holier-than-thous on this forum. Ridiculous. Being a college student with a college hip hop radio show, I use Twitter all the time to network with artists for appearances on our show and elsewhere in the community. Don't knock it unless you understand its use. Those who are ignorant will always flame and tarnish what they don't know. It's silly. Come on now, act like adults.

With that said, I'd absolutely love for Twitter to be more deeply rooted in iOS 5, with an option to turn it off for those who don't want to use the feature. To deny a feature that'll improve the interface and functionality of a service for those who don't want to use it is foolhardy and everyone on this forum knows that.

Look, some of us just don't like Twitter. We don't get on it with it, we don't enjoy how it operates and we don't enjoy its content. I've tried twitter, several time, but I just despise it.

Please explain how twitter integration will improve interface? I don't think iOS is perfect, but I don't understand this statement.

caspersoong
Jun 4, 2011, 02:23 AM
I hope it will optional as I don't want to see 'Twitter' almost every few seconds while using my device.

mnemonix
Jun 4, 2011, 03:31 AM
I hope it will optional as I don't want to see 'Twitter' almost every few seconds while using my device.

A Twitter app *is* optional. That's why most of us don't see the need to integrate this crap into the OS, whether we see the value of it as a service or not.

Kelmon
Jun 4, 2011, 03:55 AM
I suspect this is a sign that I'm getting older and basically turning into my dad, but I simply don't understand what Twitter is for. I have a Twitter account and posted a few comments to it but after that I couldn't see the point in it. To be perfectly honest I have a similar issue with Facebook. While in the case of Facebook I do periodically check to see what my friends have been doing, I almost never post an update myself since it seems a bit "look at me". It seems my limit, at the moment, for "social networking" is email and SMS. Blogs are OK (heck, I wrote my Master's dissertation on that subject) but they do need a strong subject to make them work and I don't "get" personal blogs at all.

Actually, while I'm working my way to mild rant, what is with corporate Facebook pages and every company and their dog asking me to become their friend? The whole idea of it is nauseating.

MythicFrost
Jun 4, 2011, 04:28 AM
I don't use twitter, I don't like twitter, and I really don't want twitter stuck in my phone. Hopefully it's non-obtrusive or can be completely disabled.

pixelbart
Jun 4, 2011, 06:34 AM
The good thing about Twitter is that it's exactly what you want it to be. It's only a social network if you follow friends and tweet about the smell of your farts, but it's an rss reader when you only follow news sites. And you can make a private account if you wish. Just because Apple integrates it, doesn't mean you have to engage in the 'twitter-culture' (which may be a fad but only time will tell).

I see twitter as a very generic global human-to-human (either 1-1 or 1-*) API for short messages, capturing the essence of sms, rss, email, instant messaging, facebook walls and every other way of sharing short messages that evolved over the last 20 years, without pretending to be something specific. It's completely up to you what to do with it. Maybe it evolves into something unforeseen when it's integrated in iOS 5.

In short, Twitter is much more than a social network, because it's much less than a social network. It's messages and not much more.

NJMetsHero
Jun 4, 2011, 07:20 AM
This would be cool feature. I'm expected a lot of cool stuff at this conference if they're really not announcing a new iPhone. They must have a lot if they think they have enough to talk about it without the new phone.

Certinfy
Jun 4, 2011, 07:46 AM
I use Twitter very occasionally and only really use it to keep up to date with tennis related stuff. Don't really see the need of 'deep' integration though.

Big D 51
Jun 4, 2011, 08:10 AM
i don't use twitter, i don't like twitter, and i really don't want twitter stuck in my phone. Hopefully it's non-obtrusive or can be completely disabled.

+1

CFreymarc
Jun 4, 2011, 08:13 AM
He he! Hey Bevis! He said, "Deep twitter." He he!

Lesser Evets
Jun 4, 2011, 09:59 AM
Whoopteedoo.

Twitter has never provided anything worthwhile. Sure, some info services might use it well, but for most people it's a lot of "HEY! TAKIN' A HUGE DUMP IN BK BATHROOM. JUST DONE WIPIN'!" type stuff.

Mr. Gates
Jun 4, 2011, 10:02 AM
I suspect this is a sign that I'm getting older and basically turning into my dad, but I simply don't understand what Twitter is for. I have a Twitter account and posted a few comments to it but after that I couldn't see the point in it. To be perfectly honest I have a similar issue with Facebook. While in the case of Facebook I do periodically check to see what my friends have been doing, I almost never post an update myself since it seems a bit "look at me". It seems my limit, at the moment, for "social networking" is email and SMS. Blogs are OK (heck, I wrote my Master's dissertation on that subject) but they do need a strong subject to make them work and I don't "get" personal blogs at all.

Actually, while I'm working my way to mild rant, what is with corporate Facebook pages and every company and their dog asking me to become their friend? The whole idea of it is nauseating.

While I understand your point, I also noticed how you don't seem to have a problem posting here.

Maybe you just need a group of people interested in the same subject.

I can't speak for Twitter (Hate it) but on Facebook I have a lot of fun discussing off the wall topics with my friends or commenting on pictures.

It really depends on how you use it.

Twitter on the other hand,is just a bunch of on the spot inner thoughts not meant for the public and is usually regretted later

e-coli
Jun 4, 2011, 10:27 AM
Once you've gotten to know Twitter, you realize how painfully archaic e-mail is.

This is really promising if true.

To be fair, Twitter is more of an urban feature than other services. I can see why some don't get it.

maclaptop
Jun 4, 2011, 10:33 AM
If Apple owned Twitter I would understand this move.

Even though I and a vast number of others don't use or care about it, at least if it belonged to Apple that would be understandable.

But for Apple to build this in at the system level, makes one believe there is much Apple is not sharing about this development.

I must say this was a true surprise move. No wonder Apple is hiring, they've got their fingers in everything.

mattlol
Jun 4, 2011, 10:46 AM
wow, surprised at all the twitter hate in here :/

ssk2
Jun 4, 2011, 10:46 AM
Once you've gotten to know Twitter, you realize how painfully archaic e-mail is. 1

This is really promising if true.

To be fair, Twitter is more of an urban feature than other services. I can see why some don't get it.2

1) You mean, if I need to send an email that's more than 140 characters, that's archaic? I am WAY out the loop...

2) How massively condescending... I'm so glad you 'urbanites' can tell us plebs what's necessary and what's not.

david77
Jun 4, 2011, 10:52 AM
I keep seeing the same uninformed responses coming up about how useless Twitter is. For those who experienced the recent storms in the South, Twitter and Facebook were essential to have to spread life saving information and coordinate recovery efforts, especially when power was out. To say Twitter is filled with nothing but poop comments clearly shows you haven't used Twitter to its potential (frankly I see more of the poop style comments in my Facebook feed).

e-coli
Jun 4, 2011, 10:55 AM
I must say this was a true surprise move. No wonder Apple is hiring, they've got their fingers in everything.

Everything except Facebook's OpenGraph technology. That's where Microsoft, in the long run, has a huge advantage over Apple and even Google. OpenGraph will be the backbone of your Internet experience in the very near future (for many, it already is). When MS inked an exclusive deal with Facebook to integrate OpenGraph into Bing, few people in the tech community were lost as to the implications. Apple is doing this to play catch-up.

To many that sounds absurd. To those in the know, the Bing / OpenGraph deal changed everything.

e-coli
Jun 4, 2011, 11:10 AM
2) How massively condescending... I'm so glad you 'urbanites' can tell us plebs what's necessary and what's not.

In no way did I denigrate or imply any kind of urban superiority in my comment. Most Twitter users are in urban areas. That is absolute fact. The advanced features of Twitter are much more robust and useful in areas of high population density. Most mobile and social services are. That, too, is fact.

If you're insecure about not living in a city, that's your own issue. But I never implied any type of class stratification (hence the "to be fair" when acknowledging why some don't get the usefulness of Twitter).

You kind of seem a little touchy and angry. Maybe try to relax a bit.

(Sorry for the double post. Ironically MR's new code doesn't play nicely with the iPad.)

ericinboston
Jun 4, 2011, 11:16 AM
So it's not a fad, then.

Fads have a timeframe...I never said it should last 6 weeks or 6 years.

I'm surprised the Twitter fad has lasted this long and as you read in my previous post, it will end soon. In fact, I would argue that people are already sick/bored/unimpressed with Twitter.

mnemonix
Jun 4, 2011, 11:35 AM
I keep seeing the same uninformed responses coming up about how useless Twitter is.

I keep seeing the same childish back-and-forth argument as to whether Twitter is great or rubbish, which is to completely miss the point...

Many of us don't care one way or the other, we just don't want it integrated into iOS anymore than any other 3rd party service, whether it offers one of the many variants of social networking currently available, on-demand porn or anything else we can opt-in with quite satisfactorily with an app. The fact that there's already a 'debate' as to whether Facebook or Twitter would be better, depending on what the user happens to prefer, further illustrates that none of these services have any business being a core iOS service.

maclaptop
Jun 4, 2011, 11:57 AM
I keep seeing the same childish back-and-forth argument as to whether Twitter is great or rubbish, which is to completely miss the point...

Many of us don't care one way or the other, we just don't want it integrated into iOS anymore than any other 3rd party service, whether it offers one of the many variants of social networking currently available, on-demand porn or anything else we can opt-in with quite satisfactorily with an app. The fact that there's already a 'debate' as to whether Facebook or Twitter would be better, depending on what the user happens to prefer, further illustrates that none of these services have any business being a core iOS service.

Great Post!

For clarification, in my earlier post I said I didn't care about it, but wasn't fond of it being integrated at system level.

Also as a long time Apple user, knowing how Apple operates, I seriously doubt there will be a "toggle" so we can turn if off.

To those making generalized statements labeling those of us not embracing it "Haters" ... I NEVER said I hate Twitter!

Nor did I say I haven't tried it.

I am extremely open to any new technology / app / change / or other useful development.

That said only _I decide_ what I like and choose to use.

I don't and will not, have anything forced on me. I am not a fanboy or lemming here to buy into the hype, I'm here to enjoy the GOOD things that Apple does, and they do plenty.

I do "get it", in terms of why so many people like twitter & facebook, but for me there is not enough useful value to spend time on them.

WE DO... share a common situation. That is, there is never enough time in the day to do all we would like to do. Therefore I choose to do only what is of relevance to me. The problem as I see it, is it's really easy to waste time on Facebook and Twitter. Once again I'm not a Hater of Facebook either, however as a tech professional, engineer and scientist, I do know the security risks and I choose not to give up so much personal information.

If you take the time to read both the pros and cons about Facebook for example you will find that it's indeed far worse that Google, Apple, Microsoft, or any other company that collects data on you (read all companies).

Welcome to 2011 and the facts of online life.

Conversely, I DO SEE the benefits to the people that enjoy Facebook.

I Do Not Hate Anything or Anyone. There's too much fun to be had, to waste time hating.

Expressing ones opinion is what this forum is for, not making assumptions that you know what others likes and dislikes are, and labeling them at your every whim, or attacking them just because you're in disagreement or unhappy.

I think this forum is a great place with lots of good conversations, when the personal attacks are left out.

Cheers :)

ct2k7
Jun 4, 2011, 12:28 PM
1) You mean, if I need to send an email that's more than 140 characters, that's archaic? I am WAY out the loop...

Free text messaging....

PlaceofDis
Jun 4, 2011, 12:44 PM
I keep seeing the same uninformed responses coming up about how useless Twitter is. For those who experienced the recent storms in the South, Twitter and Facebook were essential to have to spread life saving information and coordinate recovery efforts, especially when power was out. To say Twitter is filled with nothing but poop comments clearly shows you haven't used Twitter to its potential (frankly I see more of the poop style comments in my Facebook feed).

i've seen more references to poop in this thread than in my Twitter or Facebook feeds.

Xeperu
Jun 4, 2011, 01:14 PM
This reminds me of Futurama with the eyePhone for all the wrong reasons.

hidehide
Jun 4, 2011, 01:28 PM
Facebook integration would be much better!!

pixelbart
Jun 4, 2011, 01:28 PM
MobileMe is pretty integrated in everything Apple makes, but I still don't miss not having an account. From a marketing perspective, that's a failure on Apple's part, but it shows that they won't shove a service down your throat if you don't want to use it, even if it's a major cash cow for them. There is less incentive for them to force us to use Twitter.

newyorksole
Jun 4, 2011, 01:30 PM
it's amazing how some of you hate Twitter so much. I guess that shows the age diversity of this site as well as culture.

Full of Win
Jun 4, 2011, 02:45 PM
it's amazing how some of you hate Twitter so much. I guess that shows the age diversity of this site as well as culture.

Or it could be a matter of preference, not related to age or culture. :rolleyes:

Ugg
Jun 4, 2011, 02:46 PM

What are the demographics of social media users? Are they all young hipsters?

I am actually very interested in knowing. I fall into the category of seeing no point in Twitter and Facebook and am 40+. However, I've heard that a lot of users are elderly as well.

The only point I see in Twitter and FB is that everything you post and read is quickly monetized by someone. I'm not sure that I'm willing to part with all my personal data in exchange for free access to FB and the lack of any true privacy controls is scary.

Full of Win
Jun 4, 2011, 02:50 PM
In no way did I denigrate or imply any kind of urban superiority in my comment. Most Twitter users are in urban areas. That is absolute fact. The advanced features of Twitter are much more robust and useful in areas of high population density. Most mobile and social services are. That, too, is fact.

80% of the US population live in urban areas...so what. Also, name three "advanced features" of twitter that are more useful to an urban population vs a rural population.

Obi-Wan Kubrick
Jun 4, 2011, 06:59 PM
I guess its nice for those who use Twitter but I don't use Twitter nor do I plan on using it. Facebook is more than enough.

NachoGrande
Jun 4, 2011, 07:11 PM

Has nothing to do with age. Some people just don't want everything public on the Internet. No Facebook or twitter for me. I'm ~34

michaelcyee
Jun 4, 2011, 08:12 PM
Has nothing to do with age. Some people just don't want everything public on the Internet. No Facebook or twitter for me. I'm ~34

Out of curiosity, what kind of job do you have? I'm not saying this to be mean or anything, but I think FB/Twitter are important tools to keep in touch and network, for people you might not otherwise talk to regularly or have their phone numbers handy.

For instance, when I shoot events, I find the athletes (if it's a game) or other people on Facebook and drop them a link to my website, say, "Hey, I took some great photos of you, here's the link" and i get a bunch of hits as a result since they tell their friends. That's much harder to do with emails or text messages. Sometimes email is more appropriate if the person is a professional and runs a business and their email is easily available on their website.

A few months ago a professional photographer I had met a couple of years ago hit me up on FB Chat and asked me for help. I found out the info she wanted and then said, "Hey, these are some of the books I made" and she was suddenly all interested in having me do more books. Again, something that came up as a result of FB/Twitter.

mac9000
Jun 4, 2011, 08:39 PM
Oh no, spamware in iOS 5! :rolleyes:

mac9000
Jun 4, 2011, 08:41 PM
80% of the US population live in urban areas...so what. Also, name three "advanced features" of twitter that are more useful to an urban population vs a rural population.

Not really features, but there are more people to connect with who live near you.

I think Twitter is s#$% personally. All spam :confused:

BLACKFRIDAY
Jun 4, 2011, 08:46 PM
i've seen more references to poop in this thread than in my Twitter or Facebook feeds.

Hahaha... lol

gwangung
Jun 5, 2011, 02:23 AM
Whoopteedoo.

Twitter has never provided anything worthwhile. Sure, some info services might use it well, but for most people it's a lot of "HEY! TAKIN' A HUGE DUMP IN BK BATHROOM. JUST DONE WIPIN'!" type stuff.

Egypt disagrees with you.

gwangung
Jun 5, 2011, 02:25 AM
What are the demographics of social media users? Are they all young hipsters?

A lot of them are located in Egypt, Iran and Syria.

Not surprised people bagging on Twitter are ignorant on how it was a tool that was key in the social activism there (it's a decentralized communication tool that is hard to control).

Seidoger
Jun 5, 2011, 02:48 AM
Wow such inexplicable hate.
You know, you can already share a video via YouTube. I don't see how fundamentally more deranging would it be to have the possibility of sharing a picture via Twitter.

You're pretty much all acting the way apple-haters act.
Twitter exists. Live and let live. Besides Apple reaching out like that is great.

ssk2
Jun 5, 2011, 03:07 AM
Wow such inexplicable hate.
You know, you can already share a video via YouTube. I don't see how fundamentally more deranging would it be to have the possibility of sharing a picture via Twitter.

You're pretty much all acting the way apple-haters act.
Twitter exists. Live and let live. Besides Apple reaching out like that is great.

People would be fine it was just something like picture sharing made easier (like Android's 'share' button). However, the way its described as 'deep integration' is worrying to many - we don't want an operating system that Twitter (of all things) is at the core of.

Project
Jun 5, 2011, 06:30 AM
Shame the 70 or so people in this thread who don't see the point of Twitter will miss out. Fortunately the 150m users of Twitter each month will be happy to see the integration.

NachoGrande
Jun 5, 2011, 06:52 AM
Out of curiosity, what kind of job do you have? I'm not saying this to be mean or anything, but I think FB/Twitter are important tools to keep in touch and network, for people you might not otherwise talk to regularly or have their phone numbers handy.

For instance, when I shoot events, I find the athletes (if it's a game) or other people on Facebook and drop them a link to my website, say, "Hey, I took some great photos of you, here's the link" and i get a bunch of hits as a result since they tell their friends. That's much harder to do with emails or text messages. Sometimes email is more appropriate if the person is a professional and runs a business and their email is easily available on their website.

A few months ago a professional photographer I had met a couple of years ago hit me up on FB Chat and asked me for help. I found out the info she wanted and then said, "Hey, these are some of the books I made" and she was suddenly all interested in having me do more books. Again, something that came up as a result of FB/Twitter.

I own a fnancial software interface company. More of the reason I don't like to publicize my personal life.

I absolutely agree there are many types of jobs where twitter and Facebook are invaluable tools. Some people just post the most pointless narcissistic stuff on twitter. As if anyone cares that they are out to dinner or they go a new pair of shoes. I still can't figure out how twitter is making money?

SactoGuy18
Jun 5, 2011, 07:18 AM
While integrating Twitter and possibly Facebook access sounds like a good idea with iOS 5.0, I want to make sure as any iOS-based device (iPhone, iPod touch and iPad) accesses these services it does it through an SSL 3.0 encrypted connection, something you can do with web-based access to these services on a desktop/laptop computer.

This is why I wonder when will Twitter release a new iOS client that uses SSL 3.0 encryption, which prevents things like the Firesheep add-on to Firefox from stealing your login credentials.

ajohnson253
Jun 5, 2011, 07:33 AM
shame the 70 or so people in this thread who don't see the point of twitter will miss out. Fortunately the 150m users of twitter each month will be happy to see the integration.

+1

KnightWRX
Jun 5, 2011, 07:56 AM
Shame the 70 or so people in this thread who don't see the point of Twitter will miss out. Fortunately the 150m users of Twitter each month will be happy to see the integration.

The problem isn't twitter. Use it, like it all you want, it might be beneficial to you and that's fine. The problem is "deep integration". If this is like Ping, where it is shoved in your face in every facet of iOS (like Ping was shoved everywhere in iTunes) and is close to impossible to remove entirely (like Ping is, while you can disable some features using obscure command line settings, you can't remove it) then it is way too invasive.

We'll see on Monday what they did. But if it's another "shove in your face" move, then even the twitter crowd should recognize that that isn't a good move for Apple or Twitter in general. It will simply create more ill will from those who don't like or generally don't care about the service.

BTW, no one is missing out on Twitter. Just like you're not missing out on Slashdot if you don't read it or are interested in that stuff. Different people have different interest. Some 150m might like Lady Gaga, but I sure as heck don't feel I'm missing out on anything and I sure hate how the stuff is shoved into my face in a bid to publicize it even more.

maclaptop
Jun 5, 2011, 09:39 AM

It's this line of thinking that makes my Apple stock soar.

MacNewsFix
Jun 5, 2011, 01:59 PM
Between Gruber and Scoble's comments, especially regarding "system-level service," I wonder if this will be implemented like a Growl notification that can be sent to you on all your Apple devices (be it Mac OS or iOS) regardless of where you are in the world. If so, the trick will be keeping it from becoming an annoyance to your Twitter followers. The only way to avoid this completely is if you set up a second Twitter profile simply for personal notifications.

I hope Apple helps Twitter with the load they are about to unleash on them (maybe via their new data center). Otherwise, prepare to see the Fail Whale a lot once Lion is released.

michaelcyee
Jun 5, 2011, 03:33 PM
The problem isn't twitter. Use it, like it all you want, it might be beneficial to you and that's fine. The problem is "deep integration". If this is like Ping, where it is shoved in your face in every facet of iOS (like Ping was shoved everywhere in iTunes) and is close to impossible to remove entirely (like Ping is, while you can disable some features using obscure command line settings, you can't remove it) then it is way too invasive.

The part I liked the most about Ping was that it was enabled by default in either iOS 4.2 or 4.3 and that every "help with battery problems" guide recommended that you turn it off to improve the battery. ;)