Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jens Engels

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Hey

Today I finally got my macbook pro (early 2011), after almost 3 weeks waiting. i'm very exited, and put my macbook pro on, everthing goes wel through the setup process, so i arrive at the desktop, and i start transferring documents from my external HD to my MBP, so i start up itunes, and then it started, the macbook started to make a lot of noise (weird it's only itunes) so started a song, that went good for half a song and then started to lag unbelievably and suddenly the sound fell off.., vents full speed, no sound, song was just playing, but with the timer from itunes who could not follow it :s. so i put itunes off, and started a little movie from youtube.. the same, one BIG lag, same with skype and all other programs, and very short moments of lagging sound. even after repeatedly restarting, it stayed the same.

so i did a FULL reiinstall, then it died, lagging allready at the intro video, and every five seconds a half a second of sound, had to wait for 5min till i got the setup screen after the video.

so i thought I did not pay this amount of money for a computer like this! as you can understand i just want a new "working" MBP.

So will they try to repair this or will i get a new one? Because you can probably guess that i don't want this MBP, but a new one (problem-less) and not refurbished.

How do i best deal with this?

Thank you
Jens

JamDonut

macrumors member
May 23, 2011
England, UK
no doubt they will replace it straight away. apple are great for doing this. i only ever had one product break on me and that was 6 month old iPhone 3G and they swapped it there and then across the counter. just take it back to the apple store and explain your problem...

2contagious

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2008
UK
I am guessing it's a custom to order model, since you said you've waited for 3 weeks? Contact Apple's customer service and tell them your laptop was DOA and they will send you a new one and pick up the broken one. ;)

tamvly

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2007
Hopefully, you're near an Apple store where you can get instant gratification on their replacement policy. If not, I'm sure Apple Support will take good care of you. A replacement is not far away.

Maybe you can look at the bright side ... the failure might have occurred in a few weeks after you had all of your data transferred.

Jens Engels

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
thanks for the fast responses :)

yes, this is a custom ordered MBP (500GB/7200rpm HDD, anti-reflection screen),

at the moment i live in Paris, near to 2 apple stores.

you think they will swap this configuration of macbook at one of the apple stores?

wow do they really pick up the broken one :). How long will it take to get a new one, as i was prepared for working with it from next week. will they try to do it faster or will it be another 3 weeks wait :(?

clickclickw00t

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
thanks for the fast responses :)

yes, this is a custom ordered MBP (500GB/7200rpm HDD, anti-reflection screen),

at the moment i live in Paris, near to 2 apple stores.

you think they will swap this configuration of macbook at one of the apple stores?

wow do they really pick up the broken one :). How long will it take to get a new one, as i was prepared for working with it from next week. will they try to do it faster or will it be another 3 weeks wait :(?

They might give you a custom one in the store if you tell them you really need it.

Jens Engels

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
usually better to call and make an appointment or do so online...

Problem is, they don't have any appointments free anymore for tomorrow or sunday. but maybe if i explain my situation, they want to help me tomorrow?

Thanks, i'll post how it worked out tomorrow :)!

Last edited:

2contagious

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2008
UK
Problem is, they don't have any appointments free anymore for tomorrow or sunday. but maybe if i explain my situation, they want to help me tomorrow?

Thanks, i'll post how it worked out tomorrow :)!

It is very likely that since it's a custom to order model, they might say that you can only return it to the Apple Online Store (since that's where you ordered it from and usually only the Online Store has custom to order models). They might still be able to help you out though.. or you could possibly exchange it for a stock model if they let you do that.

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
Since this is a custom order call Apple and explain what happened. They may be able to rush along a replacement.

Jens Engels

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
So first thing i did today was calling applecare, they understood the problem, and said they will replace the broken mac with a new one, and made me a casenumber, and they said to call back on monday, as customer relations is not working in the weekend :(.

So then i also tried my luck at the applestore, where they told me, they could change it, but into a stock model (no anti-reflect screen and no 500GB/7200rmp), and i told them i would wait for my custom MBP

they also said i would get a compensation gift for the long delivery and the DOA mac.

What should i expect from the compensation? is it like a gift card or something? or an accessory? or an upgrade for my mac? never had a compensation before..

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Send it back.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
I will be buying mine soon so is it advised to buy the normal one rather than the custom one? Only thing I want is 500GB hard drive on the low end model. If you're curious why, reason is because I am in a bad financial state right now and a MBP purchase is very important for those reasons. That being said, I cannot possibly fish out a couple more hundred to get the 2.7GHz model.

JamDonut

macrumors member
May 23, 2011
England, UK
I will be buying mine soon so is it advised to buy the normal one rather than the custom one? Only thing I want is 500GB hard drive on the low end model. If you're curious why, reason is because I am in a bad financial state right now and a MBP purchase is very important for those reasons. That being said, I cannot possibly fish out a couple more hundred to get the 2.7GHz model.

If you only want the custom 500gb drive get the stock one and compare the upgraded drive price to a custom one you can fit yourself. As you may know it takes about 30 seconds to swap a hard drive, something like a WD scorpio blue/black; just an alternative solution as thats what you seem to be looking for...

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
If you only want the custom 500gb drive get the stock one and compare the upgraded drive price to a custom one you can fit yourself. As you may know it takes about 30 seconds to swap a hard drive, something like a WD scorpio blue/black; just an alternative solution as thats what you seem to be looking for...

Sure, thank you very much. However, AFAIK replacing your own HDD or even opening up the laptop voids the warranty. Is my understanding correct?

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Nope, hard drive and RAM are user replaceable parts.

Okay thank you. BTW I checked the custom HDD price for the 500GB and the cheapest I could find is $54.95 on Amazon. Apple's price is $45.00. I guess I will do that only. Thanks.

acedickson

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2004
ATL
Okay thank you. BTW I checked the custom HDD price for the 500GB and the cheapest I could find is $54.95 on Amazon. Apple's price is $45.00. I guess I will do that only. Thanks.

If that's the way you want to go but that's $45 in addition and you end up with one HDD. If you get the stock you have that to either sell or use as an external.

Lee Adama

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
California
chances are, on a custom order the store will not have that same configuration in stock.

You need to call Apple asap. This will start the return process and the agent can tell you real info, like when it can ship etc.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Why in the world are you replying to this? This thread is 5 months old... pretty sure the OP has figured out the problem by now.

Lee Adama

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
California
Why in the world are you replying to this? This thread is 5 months old... pretty sure the OP has figured out the problem by now.

sorry, it was one those thread you see at the bottom of the page - related threads to whatever thread you're currently looking at.

Didn't pay attention to the date. Sorry for the confusion, hope it didn't ruin your day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.