PDA

View Full Version : iTunes Leaks 'Automatic Download' Over-the-Air Updates in iOS 5

MacRumors
Jun 3, 2011, 10:49 PM
http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/03/itunes-leaks-automatic-download-over-the-air-updates-in-ios-5/)

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/appupdates1.jpg

In the days leading to WWDC, Apple's iTunes seems to have leaked a new feature that must be coming in iOS 5. When asking iTunes to check your app library for updates, the above screen reveals a new feature that must be coming. The following line as been added to the My App Updates screen:Or if your device has Automatic Download enabled for apps, your updates will download to your device without having to sync.Such a setting doesn't exist in iOS at present, which suggests that you will be able to automatically get app updates to your device. Presently, users must either sync or download the updates themselves manually through the App Store app.

It also suggests that there is an Automatic Download setting for other items besides apps. Apple has been rumored to be making a push into over-the-air updates as well as some sort of wireless syncing. Rumors of AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule updates have also hinted at such a feature.

WWDC kicks off on Monday with a keynote from Steve Jobs who will detail Mac OS X Lion, iOS 5 and iCloud.

Article Link: iTunes Leaks 'Automatic Download' Over-the-Air Updates in iOS 5 (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/03/itunes-leaks-automatic-download-over-the-air-updates-in-ios-5/)

ridley182
Jun 3, 2011, 10:53 PM
Sounds like a nice feature, as long as it doesn't impact battery life in a negative way.

Monday seems so far away.

LandOfTech
Jun 3, 2011, 10:53 PM
omg monday will be DA BOMB!

cloroxbleach4
Jun 3, 2011, 10:54 PM
About damn time!

Caliber26
Jun 3, 2011, 10:54 PM
Hell yes!! About freakin time... I hope it doesn't stop with just app updates.

Consultant
Jun 3, 2011, 10:55 PM
Interesting feature.

But what's so hard about pressing "update all" when you are on wifi? No computer needed.

hellomoto4
Jun 3, 2011, 10:55 PM
Sounds like Apple is taking a different approach rather than direct over-the-air syncing, as it likely would have been too hard for the battery to cope. Reminds me of multitasking implementation in iOS 4. Instead of simply implementing backgrounding for applications, Apple did it the best way they saw fit.

HMFIC03
Jun 3, 2011, 10:56 PM
NICE - I've been waiting for this to happen one of these days - now if we could only synch wirelessly too. :D

rorschach
Jun 3, 2011, 10:56 PM
I'm glad it looks like we'll be able to turn this off. I don't want apps downloading in the background and sucking up battery life. On the computer it's great, but not on my phone.

I'm really hoping for wireless syncing.

jkozlow3
Jun 3, 2011, 10:57 PM
Seems interesting that the sentence in the leaked screenshot starts with "Or". Who starts a sentence with "Or"? A hoax perhaps?

Cougarcat
Jun 3, 2011, 10:58 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Kinda weird this is in iTunes already--not because it's before the keynote, but because there's no way iOS 5 will be released to non-developers Monday.

arn
Jun 3, 2011, 10:59 PM
Seems interesting that the sentence in the leaked screenshot starts with "Or". Who starts a sentence with "Or"? A hoax perhaps?

you can verify yourself in itunes. it shows up in mine.

arn

vigilant
Jun 3, 2011, 11:01 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

Could just be referring to AppleTV which is ios and automatically updates over the air

hellomoto4
Jun 3, 2011, 11:01 PM
Can't be seen here in Australia. Maybe it's only been accidentally pushed in the US store at this time.
http://f.cl.ly/items/292q2X143s3Y2t3R423n/Screen%20Shot%202011-06-04%20at%202.00.40%20PM.png

Eric5h5
Jun 3, 2011, 11:02 PM
Who starts a sentence with "Or"?

Writers do.

--Eric

jeremyblevins
Jun 3, 2011, 11:02 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

Could just be referring to AppleTV which is ios and automatically updates over the air

For my app updates?

nunes013
Jun 3, 2011, 11:03 PM
is this going to be a feature att or carriers can charge to have or do people think it will be a wifi only thing. omg these next 3 days will be so slowwwww :eek:

PaulieORF
Jun 3, 2011, 11:03 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Kinda weird this is in iTunes already--not because it's before the keynote, but because there's no way iOS 5 will be released to non-developers Monday.

Perhaps Apple will release iOS 5 beta to devs this week, and this verbiage is in there for devs to also test this feature in addition to their apps.

Michaelgtrusa
Jun 3, 2011, 11:04 PM
Monday.

PBF
Jun 3, 2011, 11:04 PM
I ain't no switching this feature on, no way. I'd go through 25GB in no time. No, thanks.

scarnie
Jun 3, 2011, 11:06 PM
In 4.x you can do OTA updates for Ad Hoc builds, and it works great. Additionally, you have always been able to go in to App Store on your iOS device and download updates directly to your device without syncing (unrestricted on WiFi)…

drewisanapple
Jun 3, 2011, 11:07 PM
iWeb for iPad

QuarterSwede
Jun 3, 2011, 11:08 PM
In 4.x you can do OTA updates for Ad Hoc builds, and it works great. Additionally, you have always been able to go in to App Store on your iOS device and download updates directly to your device without syncing (unrestricted on WiFi)…
The difference is this is automatic.

Cougarcat
Jun 3, 2011, 11:09 PM
I wonder if apple will introduce optional automatic updates for the Mac App Store as well.

drewisanapple
Jun 3, 2011, 11:10 PM
Sounds like a nice feature, as long as it doesn't impact battery life in a negative way.

Monday seems so far away.

I find this humorous, because Apple made sure Multitasking didn't kill battery performance. Apple is all about Batteries, so I'm sure if they have this they won't impact. Besides the App Store already syncs to there serve automatically to find updates periodically, so it may not be much more trouble for them to just go ahead and background this, also might be why they need the high chips and won't be supported on iPhone 3Gs, and early iPod Touches.

zhivkom
Jun 3, 2011, 11:15 PM
Ok, this is cool, but I am worried that the iOS 5 will be only cloud features update... :(((((

kiljoy616
Jun 3, 2011, 11:16 PM
Interesting feature.

But what's so hard about pressing "update all" when you are on wifi? No computer needed.

You can press all you want, the rest of us rather it be in the background and done with it. :D

drewisanapple
Jun 3, 2011, 11:18 PM
Ok, this is cool, but I am worried that the iOS 5 will be only cloud features update... :(((((

Every software update has included '100+' feature updates.
The face Apple isn't including iCloud in iOS 5 as a major feature, should give you some reassurance it's not just a cloud update.

kewlk1d
Jun 3, 2011, 11:19 PM
I hope it only downloads over wifi

Mal
Jun 3, 2011, 11:20 PM
The face Apple isn't including iCloud in iOS 5 as a major feature, should give you some reassurance it's not just a cloud update.

I think from the banners we've seen that iCloud is going to be a major feature in iOS 5. I agree it won't be the only significant change, though.

jW

zhivkom
Jun 3, 2011, 11:20 PM

Yeah ,but regardin hiring Peter Hajas these days maybe we wont see any better notification in this update and that's what I was hoping for...

clibinarius
Jun 3, 2011, 11:21 PM
So since there's no confirmation Apple won't be launching the iPhone Monday from Apple, it appears it will be released Monday, as IOS 5 is ready to go.

They played this one beautifully.

Cougarcat

If it doesn't, there will be an option to restrict it. Apple knows most of us have caps.

Andronicus
It says I have 200 updates, I know this is going to sound stupid, but is it going to put all those on my iPhone? I don't want that, what is it updating exactly? Sorry, it's been a long night, I hope you can decipher my incoherent post.

zorinlynx
Jun 3, 2011, 11:23 PM
Sounds like a feature I'll keep turned off.

App devs have been known to remove features in new versions (*cough* TWITTER) or introduce bugs of death. I like to carefully review apps before I update them, and keep a backup of the previous version just in case.

drewisanapple
Jun 3, 2011, 11:24 PM
Yeah ,but regardin hiring Peter Hajas these days maybe we wont see any better notification in this update and that's what I was hoping for...

You can still have a revamped system. Maybe they hired him looking to develop it even more. It's still very likely to have a Beta phase where we could see many different phases of change in Notifications.

zhivkom
Jun 3, 2011, 11:24 PM
So since there's no confirmation Apple won't be launching the iPhone Monday from Apple, it appears it will be released Monday, as IOS 5 is ready to go.

iOS 5 must be released in September because They will announce it on Monday and then push it to devs.

zhivkom
Jun 3, 2011, 11:27 PM
You can still have a revamped system. Maybe they hired him looking to develop it even more. It's still very likely to have a Beta phase where we could see many different phases of change in Notifications.

Hmmm... i dont think so. It's not Apple-Style. You know how they love to "do things the right way".

cmaier
Jun 3, 2011, 11:29 PM
I ain't no switching this feature on, no way. I'd go through 25GB in no time. No, thanks.

LOL. You have 250,000 apps on your phone or something?

drewisanapple
Jun 3, 2011, 11:30 PM
Hmmm... i dont think so. It's not Apple-Style. You know how they love to "do things the right way".

The right way has been flawed before, example being iTools, .Mac, and MobileMe. They always have a base design and perfect it. Maybe iOS 5.2 will contain that Notification update. But nothing is certain until Monday, with Steve On Stage.

richard.mac
Jun 3, 2011, 11:34 PM
Steve Jobs has MacRumors on his Top Sites page! :D

yeah about time.. good for point updates, but new iOS release downloads are probably faster and more easily done from a computer.

zhivkom
Jun 3, 2011, 11:36 PM
The right way has been flawed before, example being iTools, .Mac, and MobileMe. They always have a base design and perfect it. Mabel iOS 5.2 will contain that Notification update. But nothing is certain until Monday, with Steve On Stage.

Aaaah, you just made my day remembering Steve would be on stage. I love that guy. Nothing would be the same without him.
And as far for the Keynote Event, with Steve on stage I hope for something BIG! I'll probably skip the part with Lion, because I have already seen everything. But I really really hope to be very surprised of what's comming in iOS. Apple must bring the strongest update ever, because android is gaining straight.

Cougarcat
Jun 3, 2011, 11:37 PM
. Mabel iOS 5.2 will contain that Notification update.

Apple hired the notifications guy from WebOS a year ago. They'll have something ready.

skellener
Jun 3, 2011, 11:37 PM
The last thing I want is "automatic" updating with iOS. I lost some great apps to so called "updates". I was luckily able to downgrade back to older versions of the apps because I had a Time Machine back up. If Apple offered a way to go back to previous versions of apps, I wouldn't mind auto updating. But now I am always wary of ANY updates to my iOS apps. Sometimes the developers change things and they really suck. Sometimes, so does Apple >cough<...QuicktimeX...>cough<

iRobby
Jun 3, 2011, 11:38 PM
you can verify yourself in itunes. it shows up in mine.

arn

I do not have "My App Updates" window. All I have is "Check for Updates" and when I click it I get a window stating "There are no updates are available for any of the apps in your iTunes library."

Angmar
Jun 3, 2011, 11:39 PM
Sounds like a feature I'll keep turned off.

App devs have been known to remove features in new versions (*cough* TWITTER) or introduce bugs of death. I like to carefully review apps before I update them, and keep a backup of the previous version just in case.

I read it differently. I see it that you still have to manually give permission to update an app. If you do decide to update, and your device has Automatic Download enabled, the update is pushed to your device and installed without connecting to the computer.

rkmac
The last thing I want is "automatic" updating with iOS. I lost some great apps to so called "updates". I was luckily able to downgrade back to older versions of the apps because I had a Time Machine back up. If Apple offered a way to go back to previous versions of apps, I wouldn't mind auto updating. But now I am always wary of ANY updates to my iOS apps. Sometimes the developers change things and they really suck. Sometimes, so does Apple >cough<...QuicktimeX...>cough<

"Or if your device has Automatic Updates enabled"
IF. Nobody will be forced to only get automatic updates. If you don't want it to happen, don't enable it.

zhivkom
Apple hired the notifications guy from WebOS a year ago. They'll have something ready.

Now that's what I really hope for. But Android guys also have hired design engineer from webOS and they promissed beautiful android look in gingerbread. Is it better- yes, but is it beautiful- i don't think so...

Andronicus
Jun 3, 2011, 11:40 PM

Ok, I'm not gonna push the button. I didn't know if I should or not...

lilcosco08
Jun 3, 2011, 11:41 PM
"Update: Apple has to have removed the page."
Just alerting you of a typo :p
EDIT: fixed. That was fast :D

Cougarcat
I do not have "My App Updates" window. All I have is "Check for Updates" and when I click it I get a window stating "There are no updates are available for any of the apps in your iTunes library."

Apple fixed it already.

drewisanapple

I said that earlier, but someone wasn't happy. I fully expect a new system in place for iOS 5's launch, Which I want to pin point at September 6th or 7th, if not August. Its usually a Two Month and a Week period of Betas before a Golden Master is released, then an announcement, and a two week fan boy out cry (I'm one too), and then in the hands of the consumer. It will likely appear with a new iPhone and iPod Touch.

ridley182
Jun 3, 2011, 11:42 PM
Apple hired the notifications guy from WebOS a year ago. They'll have something ready.True, I had completely forgotten about that.

arn
Jun 3, 2011, 11:46 PM
Apple fixed it already.

Actually, they took down the page completely. I have a lot of updates, but it's telling me 'no updates available'. They must have flipped the global switch off to fix it quickly.

arn

Rodimus Prime
Jun 3, 2011, 11:46 PM
Interesting feature.

Because people forget and on top of that it some times get hung up on some apps when doing that. I know I will get pretty high in the list.

I will say this is a nice feature that took them long enough to copy from Android. You set apps that you know update quite often and you like to keep updated to just do it automatically then there is a notifications in the bar to tell you so and so app was updated. It checks about once a day to see if there is any new updates in the market.

gorgeousninja
Jun 3, 2011, 11:47 PM

About damn time!

Yes, your majesty. And what time will you need someone to wipe your bum?

celticpride678
Jun 3, 2011, 11:51 PM
Actually, they took down the page completely. I have a lot of updates, but it's telling me 'no updates available'. They must have flipped the global switch off to fix it quickly.

arn

Same here. Had 34 updates before...now...0

iRobby
Jun 3, 2011, 11:51 PM
About damn time!

Yes, your majesty. And what time will you need someone to wipe your bum?

judging by his screen name "cloroxbleach4" I assume he doesn't need it wiped since he scrubs it with bleach lol.

Andronicus
Jun 3, 2011, 11:52 PM
Apple fixed it already.

I never navigated away from that screen....so I'm gonna try it now that they took it away.

I pushed the "Download All Free Updates" button...it says accessing itunes store at the top, now it's saying "one or more of these items contains age-restricted material. Click OK to confirm that you are 17 or over. Your content will then begin downloading immediately." So here goes nothin....it's accessing iTunes store again....now it's downloading 200 items...hmm.

I didn't want to do it until Apple said I couldn't.

boss.king
Jun 3, 2011, 11:52 PM
The first word of the quote in the story is wrong. Should be "Or", not "Of".

Auto updates should be cool

admanimal
Jun 3, 2011, 11:55 PM

Ah yes, the good old "not saying no means yes" argument.

Andronicus
Jun 3, 2011, 11:59 PM

arn

I did mine after they hit the switch, but apparently something is happening, I just don't know what exactly :confused:

brock2621
Jun 4, 2011, 12:06 AM

WooHoo!!!!!!

coolfactor
Jun 4, 2011, 12:06 AM

I've noticed a slip of quality with regards to wording and spelling in Apple releases lately... too bad.

drewisanapple
Jun 4, 2011, 12:08 AM
I've noticed a slip of quality with regards to wording and spelling in Apple releases lately... too bad.

Errors when Steve isn't at Apple, Day-to-Day, Operating The Company.
Shame on Tim Cook for the lack of observation of the Minor Details.

drewisanapple
Jun 4, 2011, 12:12 AM

Just was thinking about Beta versions for iOS4, and I thought I'd bring up SWIPE TO CHANGE APPS.

That isn't cloud based, and could be very useful.

MrSmith
Jun 4, 2011, 12:15 AM
Forget the bloody toys. I wish iTunes would download updates automatically.

Full of Win
Jun 4, 2011, 12:20 AM
Sounds like a good idea at first... until you realize it's a terrible idea.

Several times I've seen app updates, that for whatever reason, are half baked piles of dung. Two examples that come to mind is Friendly for the iPad and the This American Life app. Both of these apps had some issues with updates, that made the apps unusable for many. Sure, you can resync and get the discarded .ipa file from the trash, but this is a PITA for most.

Perhaps a rollback feature might be advisable?

Reach9
Jun 4, 2011, 12:27 AM
Wow based off the Update looks like Apple keeps an eye on this site.
This is getting me more hyped up for the 6th!

michaelcyee
Jun 4, 2011, 12:27 AM
Sounds like a good idea at first... until you realize it's a terrible idea.

Several times I've seen app updates, that for whatever reason, are half baked piles of dung. Two examples that come to mind is Friendly for the iPad and the This American Life app. Both of these apps had some issues with updates, that made the apps unusable for many. Sure, you can resync and get the discarded .ipa file from the trash, but this is a PITA for most.

Perhaps a rollback feature might be advisable?

Getting the discarded IPAs doesn't even solve the problem of having to delete the app and lose all the saved data in order to reinstall it. I'm jailbroken so I can save the Documents and Library folders (or use PKGBackup since that comes with a nifty backup data feature), but I know most people probably aren't. Not to mention that I'd like to be able to download earlier versions of some apps (e.g. the music in 0.03 Seconds 1.0 is better than 1.1), but if you didn't get it when it was still there you're pretty much out of luck.

Agent-P
Jun 4, 2011, 12:30 AM
People are complaining that updates sometimes make an app worse (which I totally agree with), however if the developer pushes another update to fix it, then it's not really an issue. I hope it gives the option to create a list of apps that are allowed to automatically update. If that's the case then I'll only put apps on that list with developers that have proven themselves to be reliable with updates and fixing issues.

Funkymonk
Jun 4, 2011, 12:37 AM
Is it Monday yet? Can I freeze myself until then?

Sick of waiting :(

Kiwiboi22
Jun 4, 2011, 12:41 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ahhhhhhh,
I want Tuesday(New Zealand here) to come already.
So looking forward to iOS5,
And seeing steve,

Is it Tuesday now?

jprocha
Jun 4, 2011, 12:53 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sounds awesome! I hate having to go update my apps which I always do through my phone. They should just update to the newest version always. There should be a box for "wifi only" though where the automatic updates begin when you enter a wifi area.

clibinarius
Jun 4, 2011, 12:53 AM
iOS 5 must be released in September because They will announce it on Monday and then push it to devs.

If Apple's going live with IOS 5 features now by accident in descriptions, that means it is probably fully backwards compatible and will come out on Monday, that some developers have already had it, and they will push it forward from here.

That's how I look at it. iPhone comes out Monday. Besides, Apple I'm sure bought all their A9 chips months ago. So a delay NEVER MADE SENSE. And to release a late iphone without 4G doesn't make much sense, even if 4G isn't all its hyped up to be, because it will be a key spec going against a phone that's over a year old. I do not think it'll encourage ANYONE to switch to Apple.

If IOS 5 is being released momentarily (and I suspect it is in June), then iPhone 5 is out in June. And why on earth would Apple delay this product anyway? I can't make any sense out of it, and Apple's earnings guidance suggests a major product launch this quarter, and Macs won't be the driver since they've already been released and I don't see what makes a SB Macbook Air going to sell THAT much better than the current one.

iPhone announced Monday, out this month, period.

swingerofbirch
Jun 4, 2011, 01:01 AM

"Or" is fine with me. It's a coordinating conjunction, so it's fine to start a sentence with it. Even if it weren't kosher, I think grammar should mostly serve to make communication clear.

But one thing that always gets my goat is that Apple never uses direct address commas! Drives me crazy! For example on the first iTunes Store page, it says "Welcome (name)," with no comma after "Welcome." Argggg, drives me crazy! Other sites like Amazon.com get it right. I've written to Apple about this, but writing to Apple is like trying to talk to the Wizard of Oz.

28monkeys
Jun 4, 2011, 01:04 AM

lol, just open the itunes.

Kiwiboi22
Jun 4, 2011, 01:15 AM

My updates are gone, had three to get this morning.
Now gone

akira2501
Jun 4, 2011, 02:03 AM
If you don't need any other device but a ipad and a time capsule (or hopefully an airport extreme), then a lot more people will buy it. Imagine if you could watch your shows over wifi and even stream stuff from your house to your ipad/touch/phone/air practically anywhere. Now I know its already being done, but without any know how just the classic plug and play apple style, people will eat it up. Whatever they announce on Monday it will be awesome just because the masses are already whipped into a frothy batter.

caspersoong
Jun 4, 2011, 02:15 AM
I don't think I will enable it. I want to read update descriptions before updating. Unless they pop up under more awesome notifications with all the update descriptions.

Kiwiboi22
Jun 4, 2011, 02:34 AM

Ok iTunes has removed the update page now.
All there is now, is a pop up window.

Jelite
Jun 4, 2011, 02:36 AM
I don't think I will enable it. I want to read update descriptions before updating. Unless they pop up under more awesome notifications with all the update descriptions.

I agree i like reading update descriptions and reviews as some updates break the apps.

markfc
Jun 4, 2011, 02:40 AM

Here here!

PBF
Jun 4, 2011, 03:07 AM
Here here!
I no, write.

Benjamins
Jun 4, 2011, 03:29 AM
I will say this is a nice feature that took them long enough to copy from Android.

I know, so glad that Mac OS and Windows both copied the OS update mechanism from Android.

Žalgiris
Jun 4, 2011, 03:33 AM
I know, so glad that Mac OS and Windows both copied the OS update mechanism from Android.

I hope this is a joke.

CherryJello
Jun 4, 2011, 03:53 AM
Don't know if it's been mentioned but with this kind of leak in iTunes...it shows that the release of iOS 5 could be very close. Maybe just a couple weeks after WWDC...so developers can alter their apps

Otaviano
Jun 4, 2011, 04:21 AM
Long overdue, really looking forward to iOS 5.

the8thark
Jun 4, 2011, 04:26 AM
Steve Jobs has MacRumors on his Top Sites page! :D

Yes exactly. So Jobs knows exactly when Mac-Rumors infringes on any Apple patents/trademarks/copyrights and can sue at just the right time.

Piggie
Jun 4, 2011, 05:00 AM
I find this humorous, because Apple made sure Multitasking didn't kill battery performance. Apple is all about Batteries, so I'm sure if they have this they won't impact. Besides the App Store already syncs to there serve automatically to find updates periodically, so it may not be much more trouble for them to just go ahead and background this, also might be why they need the high chips and won't be supported on iPhone 3Gs, and early iPod Touches.

Well, having notifications which suck and kill the battery which I think most people have on all the time.

I always set all notifications to off, which is a shame as it means I physically have to check for email. But I go to bed with 100% battery and the following evening I still have 100% battery

If I leave notifications on, then without me even touching the iPad the battery get drained quite a bit.

jonwilson1988
Jun 4, 2011, 05:05 AM
My original thoughts were that iOS5 would be released in September along with the next iPhone but recently some of the rumors have got me thinking.

If the iCloud is going to be that deeply integrated into iOS and Lion, and Lion may get released over the next few weeks along with iCloud, then why would they wait for September for an iOS 5 release when the majority of people can use it to its full potential? Such a gap would also allow their competitors to catch up and create clone services. This leak gives a bit more evidence that iOS 5 is coming sooner rather than later.

I am no software engineering expert, but would it be possible for an early iOS 5 release that focuses on iCloud integration which would not break current apps running on the iPhone? Could it not just use current iDisk and other MobileMe APIs to run a better service?

This would let Apple get the iCloud features out of the gate across all our iOS devices rapidly. They could then announce a further overhaul of API updates, new features and developer versions of iOS 5.1 immediately for a September release with the new iPhone.

MattInOz
Jun 4, 2011, 05:11 AM
Getting the discarded IPAs doesn't even solve the problem of having to delete the app and lose all the saved data in order to reinstall it. I'm jailbroken so I can save the Documents and Library folders (or use PKGBackup since that comes with a nifty backup data feature), but I know most people probably aren't. Not to mention that I'd like to be able to download earlier versions of some apps (e.g. the music in 0.03 Seconds 1.0 is better than 1.1), but if you didn't get it when it was still there you're pretty much out of luck.

They could do something really smart and move the users data out of the app package. Then they'd be freer to swap out the app package without having to move the user data. Both for updates and rollback. Then even allow us to move data between apps freely.

AdeFowler
Jun 4, 2011, 05:18 AM
Yes exactly. So Jobs knows exactly when Mac-Rumors infringes on any Apple patents/trademarks/copyrights and can sue at just the right time.

Or, so that he knows that someone needs firing on the iTunes team ;)

Xenc
Jun 4, 2011, 05:21 AM
This is a useful feature in Android. Will be nice to have in iOS.

jannydisuza
Jun 4, 2011, 05:24 AM
Looks very intresting. It's a great feature of apps & the good thing about an app that without having to sync.; It will download the updates to the device.It sounds really great feature.Apple really surprise with a good feature.

alphaod
Jun 4, 2011, 05:26 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I imagine this would require Push to be enabled in some way.

HelveticaNeue
Jun 4, 2011, 05:33 AM
This will be a nice option, especially if you are giving an iOS device to someone who finds the update process either scary or confusing. Automatic updates will fit very well with Apple's philosophy. There is such simplicity in knowing your app is always up-to-date without ever having to press that update button.

I will be interested to see how this works. Will it use Push or just check once a day? Will you see the update being download and installed or will it happen completely without the user noticing? Will it only work over Wi-Fi or will it still download the small updates over 3G?

Tymmz
Jun 4, 2011, 05:33 AM
Interesting feature.

None of my friends ever checks for updates. This is going to help them to stay up to date with their apps.

Thunderhawks
Jun 4, 2011, 05:45 AM

Or not?

Piggie
Jun 4, 2011, 05:47 AM
None of my friends ever checks for updates. This is going to help them to stay up to date with their apps.

Well, even I hardly ever "check for updates" specifically, but I do often have a look at the App Store just to see if there are any changes to the generally boring top 10 list.
When you do that it automatically pops up a red circle with a number to let you know about updates.

To be honest, there are a million other things I'd like improved on the iPad rather than automatic updates.
This is like having a car with poor tyres meaning you are sliding all over the road, but worrying about the type of fabric used in the roof lining!

Let's fix the BIG stuff 1st please Apple, and then we can deal with little tweaks at a later date.

newdeal
Jun 4, 2011, 05:57 AM
It wont be that good. I am sure it will download updates on your home network to the new time capsule and then sync them to all your devices when you reconnect to the network later. This would make more sense than downloading large updates over limited bandwidth cell plans or having to download to one device and then sync to the rest. The cell providers are holding back progress at this point

pixelbart
Jun 4, 2011, 05:58 AM
What about a "two-stage" update system? New versions appear first in the manual updates list, and after one week (or a couple of days or whatever) they appear in auto update? This gives devs some room to fix bugs before each and every user has the broken version.

Otoh, that would degrade the manual update system to a glorified beta testing programme. They'd better include a feedback & rollback system then...

Piggie
Jun 4, 2011, 06:07 AM
I don't think they dare even do automatic updates.

There have been some apps where the update has ruined the app.
The most recent being the jerky scrolling in 3rd party browsers due to Apples insistence devs stop using a feature that allowed smooth scrolling.

It would cause all sorts of problems if an update was forced upon you and it broke the app for you.

Don Kosak
Jun 4, 2011, 06:09 AM
Good news.

I'm not sure if it's going to totally fix the issue of the handful of people who never check for updates. They probably won't take the time to turn on "auto-update"

There's worse than being on support e-mail #3 with a customer when you discover they're running a version of your App that's 5 months old...

(okay, working through a customer's issue for a good hour then discovering they didn't actually pay for your app, so they can't upgrade to the latest version is worse...)

BruiserB
Jun 4, 2011, 06:12 AM
I'd be happy if they just auto-updated in iTunes on my computer to be synced to my devices when I connect them or by wifi if they have wifi sync. Don't really see a reason to have each of my devices download the same app update.

vincenz
Jun 4, 2011, 06:12 AM

Never thought I'd want a weekend to pass by quicker.

maflynn
Jun 4, 2011, 06:14 AM
I'm one of those control freaks and I like to be the one to determine if I want to update my apps. I'm hoping there be an option to disable this.

I've had my share of app updates that made the app worse, and unstable. I'd rather wait to see how others respond to a given update before taking the plunge

Don Kosak
Jun 4, 2011, 06:25 AM
I don't think they dare even do automatic updates.

There have been some apps where the update has ruined the app.
The most recent being the jerky scrolling in 3rd party browsers due to Apples insistence devs stop using a feature that allowed smooth scrolling.

It would cause all sorts of problems if an update was forced upon you and it broke the app for you.

That's a good point Piggie. Sometimes updates can cause problems.

On the browser issue - it's disappointing that UIWebView doesn't expose more of the WebKit functionality yet. The OS X version of WebView is pretty nice by comparison. Maybe iOS 5 will improve the situation.

Too bad iOS doesn't have a way to "Roll Back" to a previous App version easily. That would make updates less risky.

Piggie
Jun 4, 2011, 06:27 AM
To bad iOS doesn't have a way to "Roll Back" to a previous App version easily. That would make updates less risky.

Oh yes, I 100% agree.

There really should be a way to roll back just 1 revision of an app.
I've read a number of times about Apps that ruin something or break something with an update, and then people are just screwed whilst they home the dev fixes it, and was working perfect before.

Roll Back on an update would be an excellent feature.

Tymmz
Jun 4, 2011, 06:43 AM
Well, even I hardly ever "check for updates" specifically, but I do often have a look at the App Store just to see if there are any changes to the generally boring top 10 list.
When you do that it automatically pops up a red circle with a number to let you know about updates.

To be honest, there are a million other things I'd like improved on the iPad rather than automatic updates.
This is like having a car with poor tyres meaning you are sliding all over the road, but worrying about the type of fabric used in the roof lining!

Let's fix the BIG stuff 1st please Apple, and then we can deal with little tweaks at a later date.

Me too and you would think it's a common thing to do, but my friends never ever go to the app store unless someone tells them to geht a specific app like Whatsapp. I don't understand it either.

tigress666
Jun 4, 2011, 06:46 AM

Seriously. I've only had it happen once but Facebook has made their app useless for me.

I have set up customized friends lists including one that is the people's update that I want to read (I don't mind letting others see my FB page but I'm not interested in their updates). FB in the last few iterations decided I should be forced to read who they thought I should read. Luckily it still works to read custom lists on the webpage but it's nicer reading FB from the app.

YoGramMamma
Jun 4, 2011, 06:54 AM
This sounds promising.

I hope whatever they announce makes my freakin iMac that I ordered on May 3rd that still hasn't shipped yet, actually SHIP. I highly doubt that theres anything that special/top secret about the SSD+HDD versions of the iMac (especially seeing as how they offered that option in the previous model)... but something is off about it taking over a month to ship out... here's to hoping it was worth it all :/

Shasterball
Jun 4, 2011, 07:13 AM

Not with the 25mb limit on carrier downloads, right? I would think most apps would need wifi.

manu chao
Jun 4, 2011, 07:30 AM
I get probably about 30 app updates per week, reviewing all those carefully is just out of the question.
Well, having notifications which suck and kill the battery which I think most people have on all the time.

I always set all notifications to off, which is a shame as it means I physically have to check for email. But I go to bed with 100% battery and the following evening I still have 100% battery

If I leave notifications on, then without me even touching the iPad the battery get drained quite a bit.
New e-mails don't create notifications for me (it is set to check hourly). And overnight, my phone is in airplane mode anyway.

GregA
Jun 4, 2011, 07:31 AM
It is bad english isn't it...

After you've finished downloading, either
1) sync your device to this computer, or
2) if your device has automatic download enabled for apps, your updates will download to your device without having to sync

Then you can begin using your updated apps.

So my iPhone wouldn't be automatically updating or syncing to the cloud in this case - instead it's syncing to my computer automatically when something changes in my iTunes?

manu chao
Jun 4, 2011, 07:35 AM
Consecutive posting.

Piggie
Jun 4, 2011, 07:47 AM
I
New e-mails don't create notifications for me (it is set to check hourly). And over night my phone is in airplane mode anyway.

I may be wrong on that actually.

I wanted to extend my battery life to the fullest so turned off Notifications, which use a lot of battery for doing nothing, and also turned off the email checking as to be honest, I don't desperately need to be aware of emails.

So yes, I was probably wrong to link those together.

twoodcc
Jun 4, 2011, 07:48 AM
sounds good to me. looking forward to it

satcomer
Jun 4, 2011, 07:50 AM
Just maybe this has something to do with the constraining supplies of Time Capsules and Airport Extremes. Just wondering. :rolleyes:

BLACKFRIDAY
Jun 4, 2011, 07:57 AM
sounds good to me. looking forward to it

Yup. Sounds great.

I update most of the maps by clicking update all. This is going to be useful. :)

ct2k7
Jun 4, 2011, 08:21 AM
I welcome this. Now, wireless sync or wireless iOS updates OTA....

kdarling
Jun 4, 2011, 08:23 AM
This is a useful feature in Android. Will be nice to have in iOS.

Yes, although it sounds like iOS is an all-or-nothing setting.

When you look at your apps in Android Market, you can set each one individually to update automatically (or not).

I have disabled some automatic updates because I know they're going to add advertisements or something else I'm not interested in.

Sidenote: a nice thing about Android is that it doesn't make you enter your password all the time. iOS is so annoying when it makes me enter it for free apps or updates, especially when they divert you to some new Apple App Store agreement or credit card verification.

McGiord
Jun 4, 2011, 08:23 AM

This will aid in having faster back ups, as the apps might be already updated in your devices and in your Macs.
I normally update my Apps in my iPhone wirelessly and then making the transfer purchases and back ups makes the back up kind of long.

I agree that this is just one thing, what they should include in iOS is an easy way to turn bluetooth on and off, able to custokiza the function of the mute/vibrate button and landscape screen lock.
The functionality of the Apple TV and air play might get some extra stuff, as the Netflix CEO indicated recently the AppleTv 2 is the way to go? Or somthib like it, all the new prokisin features of Apple wireless stuff might be delivering something else not yet rumored (I wish).

Masquerade
Jun 4, 2011, 08:29 AM
How this Is related to over the air updates?
Is just a shortcut to something that we did previously... Not sustem updates or over the air media syncing

Megagator
Jun 4, 2011, 08:58 AM
"Or" is fine with me. It's a coordinating conjunction, so it's fine to start a sentence with it. Even if it weren't kosher, I think grammar should mostly serve to make communication clear.

But one thing that always gets my goat is that Apple never uses direct address commas! Drives me crazy! For example on the first iTunes Store page, it says "Welcome (name)," with no comma after "Welcome." Argggg, drives me crazy! Other sites like Amazon.com get it right. I've written to Apple about this, but writing to Apple is like trying to talk to the Wizard of Oz.

Sometimes with Apple you have to Think Different ...;)

PCClone
Jun 4, 2011, 09:11 AM
I may be wrong on that actually.

I wanted to extend my battery life to the fullest so turned off Notifications, which use a lot of battery for doing nothing, and also turned off the email checking as to be honest, I don't desperately need to be aware of emails.

So yes, I was probably wrong to link those together.

Sounds like you should just get a dumb phone...

utvols13
Jun 4, 2011, 09:51 AM
If you go to the "Apple Store App" under the iphone 4 it say "Upgrade your iphone right from your phone" So something is going on.

Cougarcat
Jun 4, 2011, 09:59 AM
If you go to the "Apple Store App" under the iphone 4 it say "Upgrade your iphone right from your phone" So something is going on.

What? That's referring to hardware...

Lesser Evets
Jun 4, 2011, 10:00 AM
Why bother spending a cent to take it down? Only 3 days to go.

ciTiger
Jun 4, 2011, 10:02 AM
Can t wait for monday...

Popeye206
Jun 4, 2011, 10:13 AM
Auto updates without iTunes. Cool. Better notifications and a real file system... Perfect!

Dr McKay
Jun 4, 2011, 10:16 AM
Now that's what I really hope for. But Android guys also have hired design engineer from webOS and they promissed beautiful android look in gingerbread. Is it better- yes, but is it beautiful- i don't think so...

They also hired a guy who developed MobileNotifier for Jailbroken Apps.

iOS 5, now 60% more good than iOS 4 ;)

On a side note, I think it would be great if they dropped the word magic for their products, and started using, maybe "Pizazz". I can picture it now,

OS X Lion, now with 80% more pizazz :D

Or maybe thats just me.

Winni
Jun 4, 2011, 10:18 AM

Yes, and that usually means it's either their way or the highway.

Dr McKay
Jun 4, 2011, 10:20 AM

I remember when they first released iOS 4, and their webpage regarding the iPhone had a header above the picture of the iPhone 4 saying,

"Multi-tasking, done the right way"

Cheeky gits :D

QuarterSwede
Jun 4, 2011, 10:22 AM
Apple has never had good grammar. Ex. Think Different.

tkermit
Jun 4, 2011, 10:28 AM
I did mine after they hit the switch, but apparently something is happening, I just don't know what exactly :confused:

Something is happening here
But you don't know what it is
Do you, Mister Jones ?

BLACKFRIDAY
Jun 4, 2011, 10:29 AM
Yes, although it sounds like iOS is an all-or-nothing setting.

When you look at your apps in Android Market, you can set each one individually to update automatically (or not).

I have disabled some automatic updates because I know they're going to add advertisements or something else I'm not interested in.

Sidenote: a nice thing about Android is that it doesn't make you enter your password all the time. iOS is so annoying when it makes me enter it for free apps or updates, especially when they divert you to some new Apple App Store agreement or credit card verification.

That's one of the stupid things Android does.

On iOS, you need the password for two conditions only:

1. First time you update/buy the app after you wake up from sleep. [go past the login screen]

2. The iOS agreement changes.

What's so bad about it?

drewisanapple
Jun 4, 2011, 10:45 AM
That's one of the stupid things Android does.

On iOS, you need the password for two conditions only:

1. First time you update/buy the app after you wake up from sleep. [go past the login screen]

2. The iOS agreement changes.

What's so bad about it?

It saves Apple's legal system money too. Like the "Smurfs Farm App" deal last year, it creates a ban on stupid mistakes and it is an easy monitor system.

Porco
Jun 4, 2011, 10:47 AM
As others have said, personally I think automatic updates sounds quite iffy. It will depend on the implementation.

If you look at the current system for buying Apps over the air (i.e. limited by file size if you are not on WiFi) I would imagine that would extend to over-the-air updates too. That would, to some extent, alleviate some of the battery life and data allowance cap concerns.

Also, if iOS 5 does not solve the maddening issue of 'updates' basically being the whole app downloading again (just as with the OS point updates) it would be a major pain in the backside to have the phone updating huge files in the background, even on your home WiFi, which is also (increasingly in some places!) subject to caps of its own. The answer would be to selectively apply controls on a per-app basis - if an app I use every day has an important update I might want to expressly make sure that is updated (or the opposite - as some have said, updates can be bad as well as good), or I might like to limit updates by file size regardless of whether it's by WiFi or 3G.

Having said all that, I am not sure Apple will give us enough granular control over this feature to make it something I'd be interested in. Personally I have no problem in updating on the computer and syncing. As long as they make this easy to turn off though, I can see it's something others might desire.

palmerc2
Jun 4, 2011, 11:11 AM
someone just got fired....

RoelJuun
Jun 4, 2011, 11:26 AM
Something is happening here
But you don't know what it is
Do you, Mister Jones ?

+1 for you Bob

GenesisST
Jun 4, 2011, 11:47 AM
...Apple is all about Batteries...

I'm sure with all the work required for the coming features, so are most Apple engineers' wives... :D

Kaibelf
Jun 4, 2011, 11:48 AM
Interesting feature.

You're one of those people who complain about getting a free dessert with dinner, I assume. :p

locust76
Jun 4, 2011, 12:38 PM
Interesting feature.

It's actually more like this:

1. Unlock iPhone, put in passcode (if set up)
2. Open App Store
3. Wait
4. Tap on Updates
5. Wait
6. Tap on "Update All"
7. Enter iTunes Password
8. Get kicked out of the App Store
9. Confirm that you are over 17 and can use App XYZ
10. If you only have one iTunes account, stop here.
11. Go to settings
12. Tap Store
13. Enter your other iTunes ID
14. Go to 2

Automatic App Updates would be more like

1. Connect to Wi-Fi
2. Wait for apps to automatically update
3. Done

Dr Kevorkian94
Jun 4, 2011, 12:47 PM
i literally am giddying in excitement over monday. but seriously we are all talking about the big things like notifications etc, but i think there will be alot of small improvements that will be amazing as well.

peterdevries
Jun 4, 2011, 01:26 PM

Number of posts needed to reach Macrumors 68000: more than 1505.

Winnis strategy to get to that level: annoy the entire board 1505 times with useless statements like above.

Dude, sell your Apple stuff or shut up. Your general negative attitude has gone beyond annoying.

jhill89
Jun 4, 2011, 01:30 PM
Fingers crossed they will integrate auto-downloads for podcasts as well

omyard
Jun 4, 2011, 02:45 PM
Nice! I don't have a problem with going into the App Store and hitting "Update All", but I'm a huge fan of background downloads. I wish they would take the same approach with OS X.

Apple is all about Batteries

Apple needs to make an iVib. My girlfriend would love it. Probably wouldn't be as powerful as others, but it would be low on battery usage.

maclaptop
Jun 4, 2011, 02:51 PM
Looks like a new phone will be shown as well. What else would they demo it on.
Especially since it will only run on new hardware. Everyone wins, Apple rakes in the cash & all is well.

Perfect.

drewisanapple
Jun 4, 2011, 03:13 PM
Especially since it will only run on new hardware. Everyone wins, Apple rakes in the cash & all is well.

Perfect.

You have an option to hit "COMPLETE MY PURCHASE"

bushido
Jun 4, 2011, 03:41 PM
Especially since it will only run on new hardware

Perfect.

iOS4 worked on the 3G, 3GS, 4 just as iOS5 will sure as hell run on the 4 and maybe even the 3GS with limitations.

what they will do is having the beta avb. for devs so they can update their apps and then release it around september just in time to push it out with a new iPhone

toddybody
Jun 4, 2011, 03:50 PM
I like the current iOS update method for large apps...but auto update would be great for smaller ones. Thanks :apple: engineers, looking forward to Monday:)

iOS4 worked on the 3G, 3GS, 4 just as iOS5 will sure as hell run on the 4 and maybe even the 3GS with limitations.

what they will do is having the beta avb. for devs so they can update their apps and then release it around september just in time to push it out with a new iPhone

I hope you're right, but there were rumors about the 3GS missing out on iOS 5 completely. IMHO, they'll atleats get some piece of it...maybe not the cool expose views though

Gasu E.
Jun 4, 2011, 03:53 PM
Or not?

And really, who's to say?

KnightWRX
Jun 4, 2011, 03:59 PM

Perfect.

When they demoed iOS 4 last year, it was a full 2 months before they showed off the iPhone 4. Hence, Apple does demoes on the older model. There is no reason to show a new phone if indeed they have moved the new phone to September.

Gasu E.
Jun 4, 2011, 04:04 PM
Apple has never had good grammar. Ex. Think Different.

"Think Different" is acceptable grammar; it just meant something other than what you expected it to mean. In the Apple usage, "Different" describes what you are supposed to think about, not the manner of thinking. As in "I want something Different", not "I want to think in a different manner."

If there is anything to quibble about, it would be the punctuation; "Think 'Different'" would have been clearer. However, this is advertising, and the slight ambiguity was supposed to draw your attention.

rhett7660
Jun 4, 2011, 04:05 PM
About damn time!

Lets hope this function is also for podcasts and the other little goodies!

MCIowaRulz
Jun 4, 2011, 04:47 PM
Forget the bloody toys. I wish iTunes would download updates automatically.

Why oh, WHY can't Apple give us SMALL UPDATES:mad: I hate having to download 100Mb+ (eventually) for the fixes.

toddybody
Jun 4, 2011, 05:51 PM
Why oh, WHY can't Apple give us SMALL UPDATES:mad: I hate having to download 100Mb+ (eventually) for the fixes.

Fall of man: disease, war, famine, hatred, and system file sized updates...

rhett7660
Jun 4, 2011, 05:53 PM
Auto updates without iTunes. Cool. Better notifications and a real file system... Perfect!

The notifications is what I am really after. If they add a real file system. oh lordy! This will be a killer iOS!

tkermit
Jun 4, 2011, 06:14 PM
fall of man: Disease, war, famine, hatred, and system file sized updates...

qft. :)

jonnysods
Jun 4, 2011, 06:16 PM
Monday is looking to be a great day!

SamTheeGeek
Jun 4, 2011, 06:50 PM
Nice ;)

Sounds like Apple is going wireless all the way!

live4mark
Jun 4, 2011, 08:03 PM

What, exactly, do you believe needs to be improved on the iPad?

drichx
Jun 4, 2011, 09:21 PM
Interesting. Just last night I downloaded an app on my iPhone 4 and had my iTunes open on my Mac. As I was browsing the iTunes store, the app that I just added to my phone began to download into my "Apps" section into iTunes, seemingly over-the-air. iPhone wasn't plugged into my Mac either. Thought it could be a glitch but looks like they're testing it out ahead of the launch. Not too stealth, Apple :D

JAT
Jun 4, 2011, 09:33 PM
It's actually more like this:

1. Unlock iPhone, put in passcode (if set up)
2. Open App Store
3. Wait
4. Tap on Updates
5. Wait
6. Tap on "Update All"
7. Enter iTunes Password
8. Get kicked out of the App Store
9. Confirm that you are over 17 and can use App XYZ
10. If you only have one iTunes account, stop here.
11. Go to settings
12. Tap Store
13. Enter your other iTunes ID
14. Go to 2

Automatic App Updates would be more like

1. Connect to Wi-Fi
2. Wait for apps to automatically update
3. Done
I never have #8 happen to me. And 9-14 would have to happen with the new system, too. Assuming it is similar to what people are assuming here.
"Think Different" is acceptable grammar; it just meant something other than what you expected it to mean. In the Apple usage, "Different" describes what you are supposed to think about, not the manner of thinking. As in "I want something Different", not "I want to think in a different manner."

If there is anything to quibble about, it would be the punctuation; "Think 'Different'" would have been clearer. However, this is advertising, and the slight ambiguity was supposed to draw your attention.
Actually, it should have been:
Think: Different.

So, not correct grammar regardless of what meaning was...uh, meant. But see, that is written by marketing people. I'm pretty sure one of the prerequisites of such a job is failure of 2nd-4th grade English classes.

AJ Predictions
Jun 4, 2011, 10:31 PM
Some people will probably really love this, but I like to read the descriptions before I find out I was waiting for some feature to come forever only to find it was updated with me even knowing! However, if Apple would keep a history of updates so you can read the descriptions, and notify you when your apps are updated so I can go and read them, I would gladly enable this feature!

cmaier
Jun 4, 2011, 11:24 PM
I never have #8 happen to me. And 9-14 would have to happen with the new system, too. Assuming it is similar to what people are assuming here.

Actually, it should have been:
Think: Different.

So, not correct grammar regardless of what meaning was...uh, meant. But see, that is written by marketing people. I'm pretty sure one of the prerequisites of such a job is failure of 2nd-4th grade English classes.

#8 simply means that the app store .app exits and you are dumped into springboard. It happens every time.

JAT
Jun 4, 2011, 11:29 PM
#8 simply means that the app store .app exits and you are dumped into springboard. It happens every time.

Ah....well, how is that an issue? Saves manually doing it.

cmaier
Jun 5, 2011, 12:14 AM

Not necessarily an issue. Just another thing that happens. (It is an issue if you are manually approving one update at a time - for each you have to re-load the app.)

bmwhd
Jun 5, 2011, 12:39 AM
If Apple's going live with IOS 5 features now by accident in descriptions, that means it is probably fully backwards compatible and will come out on Monday, that some developers have already had it, and they will push it forward from here.

That's how I look at it. iPhone comes out Monday. Besides, Apple I'm sure bought all their A9 chips months ago. So a delay NEVER MADE SENSE. And to release a late iphone without 4G doesn't make much sense, even if 4G isn't all its hyped up to be, because it will be a key spec going against a phone that's over a year old. I do not think it'll encourage ANYONE to switch to Apple.

If IOS 5 is being released momentarily (and I suspect it is in June), then iPhone 5 is out in June. And why on earth would Apple delay this product anyway? I can't make any sense out of it, and Apple's earnings guidance suggests a major product launch this quarter, and Macs won't be the driver since they've already been released and I don't see what makes a SB Macbook Air going to sell THAT much better than the current one.

iPhone announced Monday, out this month, period.

It's nice to have dreams. Keep having them because in your dreams is the only place you'll see a new device this Monday.

Funkymonk
Jun 5, 2011, 01:19 AM
Does this mean apple mobile devices are finally unplugged and free?

tatonka
Jun 5, 2011, 03:45 AM
Updating apps has always been my least concern when thinking of wireless sync. I want to backup/sync contacts, mails, music, apps. Updating installed apps has worked flawlessly already .. I don't need to download it automatically (on the device .. I wouldn't mind it in iTunes).

T.

k1121j
Jun 5, 2011, 07:32 AM
If iPad automatically checking for downloads is a feature. I would not be to excited how can this improve my experience or save me time from hitting update all :) not to mention I don't want to update apps sometimes I would rather have an option to not update certain apps that would save me more time in some cases

KnightWRX
Jun 5, 2011, 07:57 AM
Nice ;)

Sounds like Apple is going wireless all the way!

Where did you get that from this story ? :confused:

Only sounds like Apple removed the need for the "Update All" button in the App Store app to me.

What if... you want to continue browsing the store after clicking update ? I know, strange concept, not just wanting to do 1 update and wanting to actually do a couple of operations while not necessarily hitting update all...

Why even exit the app ? It is an annoyance. It's not like I want to go back in a hurry to the springboard to look at some scroll bars of apps updating/installing.

Not necessarily an issue. Just another thing that happens. (It is an issue if you are manually approving one update at a time - for each you have to re-load the app.)

Another issue is you should be able to flag an update as something you want to ignore so that it doesn't show up in the updates list anymore. If I don't want the "fix" or "new feature", the app shouldn't sticky in the updates with the red circle on the App Store app all the time.

Porchland
Jun 5, 2011, 09:01 AM
Lets hope this function is also for podcasts and the other little goodies!

If podcast updates on iOS were automatic, I would only need to sync my iPhone and iPad for iOS updates -- from multiple times a week to every few months. I'm hoping iOS 5 will knock out both of those.

It would be a nice little surprise if the next iOS 4 update added automatic podcast updating.

ct2k7
Jun 5, 2011, 09:14 AM
How many countries are 4G capable? The second largest Apple market, UK, doesn't.

maclaptop
Jun 5, 2011, 09:43 AM
It would be a nice little surprise if the next iOS 4 update added automatic podcast updating.
I agree. Tomorrow will tell the tale. It will be interesting to see what the day brings.

skinned66
Jun 5, 2011, 10:01 AM
Come onnnn IOS 5!

bushido
Jun 5, 2011, 11:33 AM
lol this will be helpful to a bunch of ppl i know who dont even know what "update" means and still have a lovely # like 56 next to their appstore app or not ... knowing them they will never get iOS5

ntrigue
Jun 5, 2011, 12:28 PM
This is terrific and long overdue. The user should not HAVE to manage these things. Crossing fingers for 3GS getting this now.

jaredhimself
Jun 5, 2011, 03:38 PM
Check out the pixel differences in the text. This was clearly faked and everyone has fallen for it.

bushido
Jun 5, 2011, 03:41 PM
How many countries are 4G capable? The second largest Apple market, UK, doesn't.

we got LTE but i'm not sure how much influence the german market actually has

Cougarcat
Jun 5, 2011, 03:41 PM
Check out the pixel differences in the text. This was clearly faked and everyone has fallen for it.

It's not fake, we saw it ourselves yesterday. :rolleyes:

cmaier
Jun 5, 2011, 04:02 PM

thousands of people saw it with their own eyes

michaelcyee
Jun 5, 2011, 05:46 PM
If podcast updates on iOS were automatic, I would only need to sync my iPhone and iPad for iOS updates -- from multiple times a week to every few months. I'm hoping iOS 5 will knock out both of those.

There are apps that can do that right now, such as Pocket Casts or Podcaster. I haven't switched to those just yet, because I still insist on using the iTunes way, even though it's a bit cumbersome to have to wit until all podcasts are in before syncing (or have to sync a second time).

CQd44
Jun 6, 2011, 12:41 AM
thousands of people saw it with their own eyes

lol'd at the guy you quoted.

On topic: Android's had this for a while but, at least for me, it doesn't always update as soon as it's available. It seems like it checks every few days.

milo
Jun 6, 2011, 11:22 AM
How do updates work currently? I always assumed it did this already, seems like a no brainer.

Seems like a good idea as long as it does a few things - notify the user of the update and let them confirm updating to the new version, and keeping the previous version archived on the mac with a way to easily revert to the earlier one.