PDA

View Full Version : I need some airport help

wkw
Mar 20, 2005, 10:40 PM
Howdy.

My Linksys 802.11G router has been acting flaky lately so I have connected my G4 tower directly to my cable modem via ethernet. I have an airport card installed in the tower and I have turned on internet sharing. My idea is to share the working connection that my tower has with my powerbook via its airport extreme card. My powerbook's airport menu shows that it is connected to my tower's airport and shows a tiny bit of network activity (I have menu meters installed). I am not able to do anything with the connection with the powerbook though. I cant surf, ichat wont connect, and email doesnt work. The tower is connected to the cable modem just fine, I am able to surf, ichat and email normally. Any help appreciated. I would rather be connected in this way and avoid buying an airport base station. I am currently logged onto msn, ichat/aim and yahoo. Anyone bored this evening and want to help me troubleshoot? :) or just post suggestions.

thanks!
bill

specs:
Powermac G4 FW800 MDD, dual 1.25ghz, 1.25gb ram, OS 10.3.8, Airport Extreme card installed.
Powerbook G4 17", 1.67ghz, 1.5gb ram, OS 10.3.8, Airport Extreme card

Pismo
Mar 20, 2005, 11:02 PM
I think you can broadcast the signal from the PowerMac by opening the System Preference and then clicking on the Sharing tab. When the sharing section is open, click on the Internet tab. You want to share connection from Ethernet to computers using Airport. When you choose the right settings, click the Start button to start sharing. Click on Airport Options and set a password for security purposes. That might do it.

wkw
Mar 20, 2005, 11:18 PM
I think you can broadcast the signal from the PowerMac by opening the System Preference and then clicking on the Sharing tab. When the sharing section is open, click on the Internet tab. You want to share connection from Ethernet to computers using Airport. When you choose the right settings, click the Start button to start sharing. Click on Airport Options and set a password for security purposes. That might do it.

thanks for the suggestion. I have tried that though with no luck.

bill

Pismo
Mar 20, 2005, 11:22 PM
This basically sets up your PowerMac to act like a base station. Using your PowerBook, you need to connect to that "base station". It'll either show up or you'll have to type in the IP address of the PowerMac to connecto it. It should work.

emw
Mar 20, 2005, 11:27 PM
What's been flaky about it? I'm running the Linksys WRT54G router with both my iMac and Powerbook with no problems (well, except those I've caused myself by playing with the settings).

Has anything changed recently? Did you just buy and install a 2.4GHz phone, that could be interfering? You might want to try changing channels, etc., to see if that helps.

Since my iMac is currently down (bad HD) I can't test anything here for you, but I know I've used the internet sharing successfully. Does it appear that the IP address you get on the PB is correct (and that your tower shows up as the router IP address)?

wkw
Mar 20, 2005, 11:34 PM
What's been flaky about it? I'm running the Linksys WRT54G router with both my iMac and Powerbook with no problems (well, except those I've caused myself by playing with the settings).

Has anything changed recently? Did you just buy and install a 2.4GHz phone, that could be interfering? You might want to try changing channels, etc., to see if that helps.

Since my iMac is currently down (bad HD) I can't test anything here for you, but I know I've used the internet sharing successfully. Does it appear that the IP address you get on the PB is correct (and that your tower shows up as the router IP address)?

Its always been kind of flaky. Often I am unable to admin it from my tower. I have to unplug the router to make it reset. I have both 2.4ghz and 5.8ghz cordless phones, as well as a cingular cell phone. With the powerbook, usually I get a good signal from the router but sometimes it won't join the network. I keep getting "error joining network..." I just fuss around with various combinations of network settings on both computers, reset modem and router, restart both computers and just keep trying different things until I get the connection back. It's rather frustrating. If I change channels in the router how do I change the channel setting in my powerbook so It will connect? Is the airport base station more reliable?

thanks for the help

bill