Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tuggy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2005
Hi everyone!

I've been searching for something to allow me to create prolog programs, i need it for school.
Is there something as a prolog ide for mac os? In windows i used WinProlog which is really great... i would prefer to stay away from too many command lines :)

thank you

stevekir

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2009
Micro-Prolog

Is there an implementation of Micro-Prolog for the Mac (PPC)?

I have tried OpenProlog which runs in Classic (OS 9) which I can run, which is a simple implementation of Prolog. But it comes with documentation of about only two pages long and mentions only the "member" clause and absolutely nothing else!! No syntax for rules or facts! So I can't even get started. It is also seems buggy.

I tried a GNU version but every time that I have tried a GNU software, or one that uses X11, I have found that it will not work. It seems that I cannot get on with it.

XGP is a full implementation of Prolog and too complex and unfriendly for my use.

Any ideas please?

Thanks

G5 PPC, OS 10.5.7, also 10.3.9 + Classic

stevekir

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2009
Open Prolog Documentation

There is so little documentation with Open Prolog that it is impossible to get started — the Quickstart simply tells how to consult the member clause (or whatever that sort of thing is called), deal with an error and a few lines on the debugger. I can write Facts — likes(Tom, Mabel) — but nothing more works. I can't even even write Rules, eg. (x likes z) if (x likes y) and (y likes z). This gives no response.

20 lines of documentation for a whole language is hopelessly inadequate. I have emailed Mike Brady who seems to be currently around but no response.

Any ideas about documentation? There must be more.

Thanks.

Bill McEnaney

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2010
GNU Prolog runs on my iMac. So does SWI Prolog, but SWI Prolog's "spy" predicate won't work on that computer. I just don't know why it won't do that. It does work on Solaris platforms and on Windows platforms.

Jan Burse

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2011
Check out Jekejeke Prolog

Hi tuggy

You could try Jekejeke Prolog. It is implemented 100% in Java and runs on macs that have 32-bit and 64-bit Java. It can be downloaded via http://www.jekejeke.ch .

Best Regards

Hi everyone!

I've been searching for something to allow me to create prolog programs, i need it for school.
Is there something as a prolog ide for mac os? In windows i used WinProlog which is really great... i would prefer to stay away from too many command lines :)

thank you

SidBala

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
Yeah he probably graduated, got a job and worked up to the management level now.

He probably does not even have to write code any more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.