Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nhcowboy1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
NH
Okay, here's the situation . . . my son has an an iBook with a 1.33 mHz processor, 80 gb HD, and only half a gb of ram. Needless to say, things are dragging.

I've got a pristine 1.42 mHz iBook with 1.5 gb ram and a 60 gb HD. I'd like to mix-and-match the two to give my son a faster machine while he's waiting to buy a new MBP.

I can switch the 80 gb HD over to the 1.42 . . . but I'm thinking it'd be easier, and almost as effective, to just switch the ram from the 1.42 to the 1.33. (And, that way, the 1.42 stays in pristine condition!)

So, my question is . . . how much would my son benefit from the increase in processor speed? He's not using this for games - just homework, surfing the internet and downloading movies. If the difference is negligible, I'll just switch over the RAM and be done with it. Goodness knows, that's the quickest solution!

Your thoughts?

max¥¥

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Over there....
if your experienced with such things you should switch the hdd's, 60gb dosen't go far these days, until a couple of months ago i had a ibook g3 with a 60gb hdd it normally ran with 500mb - 2gb hdd space, personally i would switch the hdd's.

nhcowboy1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
NH
Yeah, except that all he's using right now is about 20 gb. And all we're talking about is a short-term fix. He should be upgrading to a newer MBP within the next month or two.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
Why don't you just swap computers with him for a month? If you're taking your HD out, it's easier to just swap iBooks.

nhcowboy1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
NH
RAM switched. Dramatic improvement in performance! (And my 1.42 gets to avoid having crumbs and crap spilled all over it!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.