PDA

View Full Version : Base 27" and gaming

Razdom
Jun 4, 2011, 08:26 PM
Hi there,

Been searching around but can't find an answer to what I need to know.

Will hopefully be buying a 27" iMac this week after the back to school promo (hopefully) comes into effect. I don't see myself being able to stretch to the higher end 27" but was hoping to do some light gaming on the machine, mostly under bootcamp.

How will/does the 6770M fare at both native resolution and 1080p resolutions? I know high settings are a no-go at native but what about at lower settings? And is going down to 1080p a big disadvantage?

I'm looking to play games such as Mass Effect 2 and Portal 2 plus other games that will come out over the coming years.

Thank you for any input.

Ubuntu
Jun 4, 2011, 08:37 PM
Hi there,

Been searching around but can't find an answer to what I need to know.

Will hopefully be buying a 27" iMac this week after the back to school promo (hopefully) comes into effect. I don't see myself being able to stretch to the higher end 27" but was hoping to do some light gaming on the machine, mostly under bootcamp.

How will/does the 6770M fare at both native resolution and 1080p resolutions? I know high settings are a no-go at native but what about at lower settings? And is going down to 1080p a big disadvantage?

I'm looking to play games such as Mass Effect 2 and Portal 2 plus other games that will come out over the coming years.

Thank you for any input.

Its pretty good. I've not played either of the games you mentioned on it but hopefully I can give you an idea with other games.

WoW - Running at 2560 x 1440 resolution (not sure why as you gain little in windowed mode imo) at ultra/high settings (except for shadows) getting average of 45fps.

Starcraft 2 - High Settings, 1920 by 1200 resolution (I think, its installed on Windows) runs fine.

Red Alert 3 - Max settings, 1920 by 1200 resolution, plays nicely.

Company of Heroes - Mostly highest settings (again on Windows so I can't check at the moment) runs pretty well, slows down a bit when I'm having big fights with lots of explosions.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 - Runs well at mostly high settings, does slow down a bit when caught up in huge explosions but for the most part runs fine.

I'd probably go for the better graphics card if you wish to have nice settings on future games though.