PDA

View Full Version : bought three PPC macs this week... EEk!!

VanneDC
Jun 4, 2011, 10:05 PM
wow, recon i have a problem, i now own another 2 macs as off today and that makes 3 ppc Macs this week...

just a heads up on what i bought....

3 days ago i bought:

Powermac MDD FW800 1.25ghz/768mb/120gb/crappy GF2 mx2 32..

Then i was thinking about upgrading this baby, however then out the side of my eye on NewZealands version of CL (trademe) i saw 2 other macs...

having owned previously a bunch of PPC macs before, ive always had a soft spot for them.. anyhows, so today i bought...

at 11am.. An Imac G4 1.25ghz 17inch (the last of the V8's... urhmm i mean Imac G4's with USB2.0 250gb hd and 1.5gb ram fx5200 64mb) hehehe

and then i saw the DC PM G5 A117 2.3ghz (air cooled) and includes OS disks and manuals etc. at this stage i have no idea at what vid card is in there, prob the standard 6600le i would think...

so now i have no idea what i am going to keep here. since getting to NZed (thats new zealand for you guys :D) ive bought 4 macs. Only cos the stuff i had in Oz was way to expensive to transport for the 7 months that i (me and the missus) are here. So no Mac Pro here, no Powermac (i still have a dual cpu 2.3 in Oz aswell, not the DC model)

So what to keep :)

1. Imac G4 700mhz (original) 15 inch
2. MDD G4 and crappy 18inch lcd screen
3. Imac G4 1.25ghz (last) 17inch
4. PM G5 DC 2.3ghz and crappy 18inch lcd screen

I think i am going to have to ban myself from the buying sites. cant help myself.. :D

i am leaning towards the PM G5, but the last Imac may also suffice..
any ideas?

I am mostly interested in the older games, so thats why i choose PPC.
It would also be nice to know what box would use the least power?

cheers and thanks for understanding.

"My name is Vanne and I am a Mac-a-Holic!":apple:

Nameci
Jun 4, 2011, 10:22 PM
The PM G5 comes with the 6600, not the LE. The 2.0 DC variant comes with the 6600LE. I would keep them all if I were you. Lol:D

stroked
Jun 5, 2011, 03:02 AM
I agree, keep them all.

SkippyThorson
Jun 5, 2011, 02:04 PM
I would keep the latest iMac G4 for sure, but personally, yeah, I'd keep them all until you can determine what ones are being used most. Then sell the ones whose usefulness is already being duplicated by the others.

Nameci
Jun 5, 2011, 02:13 PM
I have the same problem as well. I just keep them all... see my sig, they keep on growing...

VanneDC
Jun 5, 2011, 03:30 PM
id like to keep them all, but cant afford the space. And as in usefulness.. well i am using the 700mhz Imac atm, but am finding its rather struggling with only 512mb of ram.

So i recon the faster Ilamp will replace this mac. Sfunny how they only cost a little these days yet can be great computers.

Depending when i pick up the PM G5, ill have a look whats inside, and will most proberly keep that as its a lot quieter than the PM G4. and as its living in our living room here in NZ, quiet is a most important factor.

Just wondering btw, sound level wise, how loud is the PMG5 DC? same as the 2.3 Dual CPU? (i have one of them in Sydney) or is it up there with the Quad G5? (I had one of them before refurbing that one to grab my current Mac Pro)

No doubt ill grab a new HardDrive for the PMG5, proberly a WD black, as they go really well. I also still have a flashed X1900GT lying around in my boxes from removals in Sydney, so will have to dig that up on one of my trips over there.

The most important question i have though, is this...

I am absolutely loving the old games that i have on this Ilamp G4, like Wolfenstein, Max Payne and obviously warcraft et al,NWN etc :)and a bunch of others from the Mac garden. Thats why i keep my current crappy LCD as its really low native rez and all those games only look good in their native rez.

Will they still work on the G5? and will they work on Leopard? I guess i could dual boot 10.4 one one drive and 10.5 on the other drive.

Exited to find out what specs its got inside the G5. waiting for pickup info on that one, and picking up the Ilamp today. :)

So i properly will have to off load the PM G4 and the original Ilamp...

666sheep
Jun 5, 2011, 03:36 PM
Hey Vanne,
get rid of iMac 15" and MDD. Keep 2.3 DC and iMac 17".

Why? 700 MHz 15" has weak CPU, small screen, not worth to upgrade. Fw800 is OK in general but 1.25 one has only 1 MB L3. Fish for decent 1.42 DP if you want MDD FW800. It has twice as much L3 than 1.25, and this makes a real difference performance wise.

VanneDC
Jun 5, 2011, 03:53 PM
yeah, i reckon your right Sheepy,

Ill keep the late Imac and the PM G5 and use the funds from the Imac (original) and MDD for upgrades for the G5. Ill need some more ram and hard drives for that puppy. Vid card should already be sorted. (as long as i can get back to Syd to pick up some stuff one of these days)

proberly pick up 4gb of ram for a total of 5.5gig on the PM (2x2gb) from ebay, id say.

not sure if its got Airport or BT on the G5 either.. what airport card will fit in there? the airport extreme? and is that the ****** one that requires an extra Arial? BT isnt really that important to me as i have a wired keyboard, but do have a magic mouse, but dont mind not using that.
Gaming wise, the Razor mouse i have is much, much nicer anyways..

VanneDC
Jun 6, 2011, 01:52 AM
So i picked up the Imac G4 1.25 today and am rather disappointed... the whole unit is in top nick, except the bloody screen has yellowing under the see through plastic bit. So what i mean by that is the white surrounding the 17 inch screen is yellowed.... *sigh*

not happy!

any cure for the yellowing underneath the perspex? if not, ill have to pass on the imac aswell... fark!!!
I hate having stuff thats not in great nick.. even my original imac is years older and is nice and white. :(

still waiting to pick up the DC PM G5...

SkippyThorson
Jun 6, 2011, 02:36 AM
So i picked up the Imac G4 1.25 today and am rather disappointed... the whole unit is in top nick, except the bloody screen has yellowing under the see through plastic bit. So what i mean by that is the white surrounding the 17 inch screen is yellowed.... *sigh*

not happy!

any cure for the yellowing underneath the perspex? if not, ill have to pass on the imac aswell... fark!!!
I hate having stuff thats not in great nick.. even my original imac is years older and is nice and white. :(

still waiting to pick up the DC PM G5...

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser!!! :D

I wouldn't ever use it on glossy surfaces, like a white MacBook or the actual clear plastic of the iMac G4 bezel. However, on the frosted plastics of the dome and the screen housing, it's just perfect. I know because I tried it and achieved great results. Just avoid chrome and glossy plastics, because what it picks up will leave fine scratches all over.

I used it on a G4 dome, and the dirty grey / yellow white plastic became a wonderful shade of bright white. The best part is that the white paint is on the underside of the frosted plastic, so you don't have to worry about damaging the paint. Me and Mr. Clean became they've best of friends that day.

VanneDC
Jun 6, 2011, 04:47 AM
thanks Skip,

yeah, its the bezel... sigh

fhall1
Jun 6, 2011, 05:43 AM
I envy you.....I've been searching for a USB 2.0 iMac G4 with a 17" or larger screen (at a reasonable price) for quite a while now.

SkippyThorson
Jun 6, 2011, 12:01 PM
thanks Skip,

yeah, its the bezel... sigh

Now that I think of it, I want to relate it to cleaning my old white Apple Pro Keyboard. I popped off all of the white keys, put them in a ziplock bag, and swished them around in soapy water. Some required a rub to get grime off, but it worked really well.

Fill a sink with warm, soapy water, and be sure to wash your own hands quite well. Let that bezel sit in the water for a while. Only with the soap on your hands and in the water, just rub it with your fingers. Your soapy wet hands won't leave any marks and it may help it a lot.

My only comments are if the previous owner was a smoker, the nicotine will not come off easily at all. Dealing with cleaning a used car, I learned that quick. I'm a clean freak, and tried all the tricks. Smokers cause nearly irreversible filth damage to alot of things.

brycemason
Jun 6, 2011, 01:15 PM
It's oxidation. Reduce it.

zwodubber
Jun 7, 2011, 01:26 AM
I also picked up some dual 1.25 G4's. Couldn't pass up $120 each. Doing fresh installs and have them sold to friends, I already have two G4 MDD's so no need to hoard :)

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q283/zwodubber/IMG_0222.jpg

My personal MDD's

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q283/zwodubber/IMG_0461-1.jpg