Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Doop

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
I sure hope so...it's definitely time for some new features and functionality!

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
I'd just like to be able to rent movies on it without receiving random "An error occurred loading this content" messages!

The Doop

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
I'd just like to be able to rent movies on it without receiving random "An error occurred loading this content" messages!

Can't say I've had that happen yet. App support and Hulu Plus are on my wishlist.

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
I'm sure the ATV will be getting some love, but probably not today. The only thing that would really make sense to announce at a dev conference would be an upcoming App Store for ATV. Well, in addition to whatever iCloud has for it of course.

For any new features specific to ATV, as in new built in content, I think the usual fall music/media event is a more likely venue. Of course, they might just get added silently at any time.

aduteau

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2007
I'm sure the ATV will be getting some love, but probably not today. The only thing that would really make sense to announce at a dev conference would be an upcoming App Store for ATV. Well, in addition to whatever iCloud has for it of course.

For any new features specific to ATV, as in new built in content, I think the usual fall music/media event is a more likely venue. Of course, they might just get added silently at any time.

Yeah the WWDC would be the best time to announce a SDK for AppleTV
and then open up the store for the fall music event with maybe a new AppleTV with a A5 processor.

Apps on the AppleTV that would let us get access to websites with media content on them would be a blast !!! I guess that would put it in competition with the Boxee Box, Google TV (they already announced an app store in the works).

They need to step it up for apps !

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Being able to have third party applications from the AV companies would be great. I would love AppleTV to have iPlayer, ElGato EyeTV and even a version of mobile safari for loading subscription streaming video sites.

For example I have a motogp subscription but I cannot use AirVideo to send to AppleTV but if I could load the page directly that would sole the problem.

I don't think any of this will be on the keynote but who knows!

Edwin

powerman

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2010
From what I see iOS 5 has a lot to do with notifications. I am wondering if it will do a little twitter/fb stuff for the atv. For me it is not a very big deal, but some may want to have this on there big screen. Maybe a notification bar on the screen but then disapper and you check it on your mac or idevice well still watching your show. Probably not though.

aduteau

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2007
if an SDK finally makes an appearance for AppleTV for iOS5 then this is the future I see:

Apps will be the new channels for TV.
Lets say that you start the PBS App, that will let you watch PBS archived episodes, and maybe with a subscription TV Networks will let you LIVE stream the channel + let you use archived shows.

This will be a sort of "a la carte" TV model, with us subscribing to apps and not being tied down to cable contracts.

The app store will be the new way to hand out TV channels, and having a in app purchase or subscription will keep TV broadcasters happy and a new way of making money and all this helping slow down piracy if the price is right !

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006

Never had that happen with bought or rented content. HAVE Had it happen with some random podcasts though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.