Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kovalchuk71

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

So I have decided to wait until next year for the next MacBook pro overhaul and want something cheap to hold me over. All I do at the moment is word/PowerPoint, iTunes, and web browsing. Would I be okay with something like an old iBook with a hybrid drive or SSD in it? What would you all recommend? Do not want to spend more than $300 and want to stay with an apple product. Thanks.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

So I have decided to wait until next year for the next MacBook pro overhaul and want something cheap to hold me over. All I do at the moment is word/PowerPoint, iTunes, and web browsing. Would I be okay with something like an old iBook with a hybrid drive or SSD in it? What would you all recommend? Do not want to spend more than $300 and want to stay with an apple product. Thanks.

Buy a refurbished MacBook or MBA (it sounds like they have more than enough power for you). Sell it for about 300 dollars less than what you paid for it before the new model comes out.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
If you want something to hold you over, I'd just wait if you're looking for a cheap Mac. There's really no point of buying now and then getting a new Mac next year. Based on your needs, why don't you just by a current Mac? It's not like it's going to be "obsolete" soon. If money is an issue, I would just wait it out.

kovalchuk71

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008

I really don't want to spend that much, that's the problem. I'm leaving the heavy computing to my desktop for now.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011

I really don't want to spend that much, that's the problem. I'm leaving the heavy computing to my desktop for now.

I don't understand. You could spend any amount you want right now. Sell it later for 300 dollars less than purchase price. You've only "spent" 300 dollars.

Frankly, it's difficult to imagine a 300 dollar Mac computer you'd actually enjoy using. Good luck with ebay or Craigslist. Yikes.

Honestly, though, as has already been pointed out, your needs will be more than met by the current Macbook, MBA or MBP models. Why are you waiting for the new model?

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
this is kind of all over the place it seems. you have a desktop that handles heavy computing but you need something that can do word/itunes/browsing? do you need something that is portable? if so, you're not going to get much for $300 if you are looking for strictly an apple product unless you go to an auction/bidding website. if you can wait for the new models and have a desktop, why do you even need something now? and as others have mentioned you, i will second (or third or fourth) it and suggest that you just get a current model now (further suggesting a refurb) as your primary portable if that's what you want to do. you can get something now that can handle so much more than that and just leave the very intensive stuff for your desktop. you can get what you need now for around $800 instead of waiting months and getting a base model for over 1k.

DOUGHNUT

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
how about an iPad. has keynote, pages, web browsing. and its cheap(er), and you can keep it after you get your new MBP next yr

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
how about an iPad. has keynote, pages, web browsing. and its cheap(er), and you can keep it after you get your new MBP next yr

Money is kind of an issue. With your suggestion, he would be forking out price of a iPad + price of a new mac next year, might as well buy something now that will do more than what they're planning to do with it. If anything, OP should just get an iPad and not get a Mac.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
Money is kind of an issue. With your suggestion, he would be forking out price of a iPad + price of a new mac next year, might as well buy something now that will do more than what they're planning to do with it. If anything, OP should just get an iPad and not get a Mac.
how is that any different (money wise) than the OP's original plan to buy a $300 computer and then buy a new MBP next year?

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Desktop does heavy computing, but you need a Macbook to do the light computing? The reason you are waiting does not compute.

I spy a case of future technology envy on the OP's brain. Waiting for new technology is waiting for new technology is you'll always be waiting. As soon as the 2012 models come out, the 2013 ones will be right around the corner... faster, better, and newer.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
So I have decided to wait until next year for the next MacBook pro overhaul and want something cheap to hold me over.
There is no guarantee that Apple will do an overhaul of a product based on the timing of previous overhauls. You may wind up waiting more than than a year for an overhaul.

Truthfully whenever you buy, there is always what Apple might do next year. Battery technology is always evolving. Case design? I don't expect much difference except in what the case is made out of and that might or might not happen that soon.

If your limit is $300 go find a used MacBook that fits your budget. It should get the job done. That presumes you can find a working MacBook for that price.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
how is that any different (money wise) than the OP's original plan to buy a $300 computer and then buy a new MBP next year?

I meant you get one or the other, not to buy one now and get something later. His tasks are very simple and basic and something that a cheap MacBook/Pro (if he chooses to get now) or an iPad can do and could use well into the future. And if OP doesn't want to do that, then save up and get one next year because makes zero sense to buy now and buy later for the things OP is doing.

kovalchuk71

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
I meant you get one or the other, not to buy one now and get something later. His tasks are very simple and basic and something that a cheap MacBook/Pro (if he chooses to get now) or an iPad can do and could use well into the future. And if OP doesn't want to do that, then save up and get one next year because makes zero sense to buy now and buy later for the things OP is doing.

Just to make this clear, I won't be using my future MBP for just the things listed. I do extensive work in Photoshop and Illustrator. The reason I want to wait until next year is because of the new case design and the supposed "great" efficiency/power combo of ivy-bridge. Thanks for all of the suggestions so far. :)

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Just to make this clear, I won't be using my future MBP for just the things listed. I do extensive work in Photoshop and Illustrator. The reason I want to wait until next year is because of the new case design and the supposed "great" efficiency/power combo of ivy-bridge. Thanks for all of the suggestions so far. :)

Yes, which is why multiple people are telling you if you wait for technology to improve you'll always be waiting. And that there is NO guarantee that Apple will redesign the case, it is all speculation per usual based on previous cycles (a cycle the iPhone seems to be breaking this year via the Sept launch!). Go ahead and wait though, buy a "cheap" Mac to fill the gap, and I'm certain you'll be happy.

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011
Get this $350 Lenovo computer. Next year, you'll likely be able to sell it for the same $350 if you take care of it. It'll work fine for Word, web browsing, and iTunes.

If you don't want to spend more than $300 initially, then something like this is your only option.

Also, for $450 you can get a 17" HP with an i3 ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.