PDA

View Full Version : Aperture with PSE 6 as External Editor

kitsap2
Jun 5, 2011, 09:27 AM
I'm dabbling in using PSE 6 as my external editor with Aperture 3. I have noticed that after I've sent an image to PSE 6, made my edits, and saved, the image sent back to Aperture 3 is in .tif, format. It is also about 5 times larger in file size.

Is this normal? I would have thought the image sent to Aperture 3 would have been, jpg. There is no real problem with this arrangement, other than the amount of storage involved. Especially if one starts to edit more and more images, externally.

Curious, more than anything.

Thanks,

Tom

cupcakes2000
Jun 5, 2011, 12:38 PM
I'm dabbling in using PSE 6 as my external editor with Aperture 3. I have noticed that after I've sent an image to PSE 6, made my edits, and saved, the image sent back to Aperture 3 is in .tif, format. It is also about 5 times larger in file size.

Is this normal? I would have thought the image sent to Aperture 3 would have been, jpg. There is no real problem with this arrangement, other than the amount of storage involved. Especially if one starts to edit more and more images, externally.

Curious, more than anything.

Thanks,

Tom

I believe it saves as a Tiff or PSD file so that it can keep the layers and everything intact for possible future editing (so it sort of still acts like a RAW too). Jpegs don't support layers, and would therefore flatten the image.

If you're sure you've finished all possible editing and just want it as a Jpeg, you will probably have to 'save as...' from Photoshop, select Jpeg and save to the desktop or something, then reimport it into Aperture.

This does go against the non destructive editing capabilities of Aperture though.

I have Photoshop CS5, and have no experience in PSE 6. I am presuming the it's same though.

(You can change what sort of file it saves in.. Aperture>Preferences>Export)