PDA

View Full Version : DVD read problems

Pixels
Mar 21, 2005, 09:02 AM
I see from other posts that several people have had the same problem :
Namely my G4 MDD will not recognise the DVDs I burn on my G4 laptop using the Superdrive.
The installed Combo drive on my desktop machine is a Phillips CDD5101 with revision A3.5. I believe it is possible / advisable (?) to update the firmware but can't find a download location.
The only locations I've found are support sites for PCs and I feel the firmware may then cause me more problems than I have already.
Thoughts anyone ??

simie
Mar 21, 2005, 03:27 PM
Its well known that these drive's has read problems, Personally after reading various sites I would upgrade your drive to something more reliable.

Anyway here is the official Philips page for the drive - it does appear that the only way to flash this drive is to use a PC.

Click here (http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/support/cons_product_support_detail.jsp?groupId=MONITORS_PC_PERIPHERALS_GR_GB_CONSUMER&categoryId=PC_STORAGE_CA_GB_CONSUMER&subCategoryId=INTERNAL_CD_REWRITER_SU_GB_CONSUMER&productId=RWDV1610B_00_GB_CONSUMER&language=en&country=GB&catalogType=CONSUMER)

I can't see it making things any worse for you.

Pixels
Mar 22, 2005, 03:55 AM
Well that's a bugger !
Can only upgrade the firmware from a PC ?!
What sort of system is that . . . and what's a PC ;)
Doesn't Apple accept any responsibility for this ?
I have spent the last two days backing up files to DVD, using my Superdrive laptop to find that my desktop machine can't read them !
So what's the best upgrade path for a G4 MDD - do I simply throw out the existing Combo drive and put in something better ie a DVD writer, (which ?) or should I leave the original in place and use the spare bay below ?
If I do that will the computer know what to do when I want to write a DVD or will I need something like - "Patchburn" - about which I know nowt.
More time more money more headache - whay can't life be simple.

I use computers to make my life easier not as an excuse to stop talking to my family for days.

simie
Mar 22, 2005, 03:30 PM
After looking on other MAC forums, it appears the only way to upgrade these drives firmware is on a PC, I suspect Apple never got round to releasing a firmware update for this drive.

Norouzi
Mar 22, 2005, 05:17 PM
Well that's a bugger !
Can only upgrade the firmware from a PC ?!
What sort of system is that . . . and what's a PC ;)
Doesn't Apple accept any responsibility for this ?
I have spent the last two days backing up files to DVD, using my Superdrive laptop to find that my desktop machine can't read them !
So what's the best upgrade path for a G4 MDD - do I simply throw out the existing Combo drive and put in something better ie a DVD writer, (which ?) or should I leave the original in place and use the spare bay below ?
If I do that will the computer know what to do when I want to write a DVD or will I need something like - "Patchburn" - about which I know nowt.
More time more money more headache - whay can't life be simple.

I use computers to make my life easier not as an excuse to stop talking to my family for days.

There are several options for upgrading. If you buy a drive that the OS see's as an Apple Superdrive then you don't need anything. If you buy a drive that is not Apple Supported then you can just use PatchBurn. I use it on my PowerMac and I just bought a DVD burner on sale at WalMart, installed it, installed PatchBurn and it works fine with the finder. I don't have iDVD yet, so I don't know if it works with that, but Toast and the Finder see it just fine. Try Other World Computing (http://www.otherworldcomputing.com) for a drive if you want an actual superdrive.