PDA

View Full Version : WWDC Kicks Off on Monday: Mac OS X Lion, iOS 5 and iCloud

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jun 5, 2011, 12:15 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/05/wwdc-kicks-off-on-monday-mac-os-x-lion-ios-5-and-icloud/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/wwdc1-500x373.jpg

(http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/wwdc1.jpg)

Apple's 2011 Worldwide Developer's Conference kicks off tomorrow with a keynote from Steve Jobs starting at 10am Pacific. Apple has already revealed that they will be talking about Mac OS X Lion, iOS 5 and iCloud at the event. Developer registration began today (photos above and below).

The early speculation about iCloud had primarily focused on Apple's impending deals with music companies and the ability to stream iTunes music to your Macs and iOS devices. But more recently, there's been talk about new iOS-powered Time Capsules that how might serve as some sort of file syncing hub (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/05/new-time-capsules-to-act-as-hub-for-icloud-data-syncing/) or update caching system (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/02/apple-testing-new-time-capsules-for-caching-software-updates/).

iOS seems up for a major update with rumors of revamped notifications and widgets (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/27/ios-5-to-bring-revamped-notification-system-and-widgets/) as well as major twitter integration (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/31/ios-5-to-include-twitter-integration-for-photos/). A new Automatic Downloads (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/03/itunes-leaks-automatic-download-over-the-air-updates-in-ios-5/) feature for Apps also seems certain.

There have been some hints (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/26/mac-os-x-lion-almost-ready/) that Mac OS X Lion may be practically ready to launch with some even pinpointing (http://www.9to5mac.com/70490/apple-to-release-mac-os-x-lion-on-june-14th/) date of June 14th as the targeted released date.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/wwdc21-500x373.jpg

(http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/wwdc21.jpg)

As always, there are usually last minute rumors and leaks on the night prior to the event, so stay tuned.

Unfortunately, there's been no indication that Apple will be video streaming this event, but we'll provide live coverage during the keynote with photos and updates. Follow us @MacRumorsLive (http://twitter.com/macrumorslive) for live updates and @MacRumors (http://twitter.com/macrumors) for ongoing news and updates.
<div style="border-top:1px solid #aaa; padding-top:5px;margin-top:5px;">Follow @macrumors (http://twitter.com/macrumors)
Follow @macrumorslive (http://twitter.com/macrumorslive)<script src="http://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" type="text/javascript"></script></div>

Article Link: WWDC Kicks Off on Monday: Mac OS X Lion, iOS 5 and iCloud (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/05/wwdc-kicks-off-on-monday-mac-os-x-lion-ios-5-and-icloud/)

AbyssImpact
Jun 5, 2011, 12:20 PM
Will there be a live online stream?

gramirez2012
I am freaking out already! :eek:

destroyboredom
I can't wait. Seems they included iCloud in the press release because they had the banners ready to go anyway.

Biscuit411
Jun 5, 2011, 12:21 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I bet the new TC will look just like the iCloud logo. All silver and shiny with a big fat cloud on the top. Count on it! :-)

wordoflife
Jun 5, 2011, 12:22 PM
I can see iPhone 5 hidden into the ceiling with this better view. Can't wait to preorder mine! :p

OneMike
Jun 5, 2011, 12:23 PM
Should be interesting. I'll be tuned in.

rmwebs

Doesn't look like it :( I generally tend to wait now. The last few years MRLive has been painfully slow at getting notices out (I.e 15-20 minutes late) when compared to Ars and Engadget.

You can usually find a few bootlegged streams however they are such poor quality that its not worth bothering.

EricStriffler
I woke up this morning and thought it was Monday and once I rubbed my eyes and stretched I realized it was only Sunday... :'(

destroyboredom

Did you read the entire post?

GeekLawyer
Looking forward to following all the coverage!

Gen
Jun 5, 2011, 12:24 PM
I wish they didn't stop streaming the events live - I know they did a couple.

arn
Jun 5, 2011, 12:24 PM
swag per

http://twitpic.com/photos/GordonHughes

fishmoose
Jun 5, 2011, 12:25 PM

Nothing has been announced yet, usually, Apple offers details about live streams shortly before the event so there's still hope though.

Munnichs
Jun 5, 2011, 12:25 PM
come on apple, live stream please:)

Lyubomir1001
Jun 5, 2011, 12:26 PM
It doesn't look like the Iphone 5 will be released this year :(

adztaylor
Jun 5, 2011, 12:28 PM
Shame there will be no live stream of the event. I will probably head over to Engadget. They are usually good at the coverage.

rmwebs
Just had a thought.

Whats the betting that Google, Microsoft or Samsung will announce something huge either late tonight or early tomorrow. IIRC it happened last year (or the year before) as an attempt to lower focus on WWDC.

davie18
Should we be expecting the new MBA to be revealed as well (even though they haven't said anything about it)?

blow45
Jun 5, 2011, 12:29 PM
No last minute scoops? Ho hum...:rolleyes:

GeekLawyer
Jun 5, 2011, 12:29 PM
It doesn't look like the Iphone 5 will be released this year :(No, not at WWDC. But later in the year, September is the rumor, yes. The fifth iPhone will go on sale in 2011.

Andy-V
Jun 5, 2011, 12:31 PM
I don't think Jun 14th would be giving app developers enough heads-up for the Lion launch, especially as many of them will be at WWDC this week. Most apps of course will run just fine, but there's definitely some that will require some work being done and developers should be given a fair heads-up that they need to actually make their apps start working as Lion reaches release candidate.

So far it's not been sensible to update to make apps work with Lion because it's in beta and things could still change. Dev's need some time with a build that's not going to change much before release.

rmwebs
Jun 5, 2011, 12:31 PM
Should we be expecting the new MBA to be revealed as well (even though they haven't said anything about it)?

No.

Yvan256
Jun 5, 2011, 12:32 PM
I miss the fake elevator photos from a few years ago.

tbobmccoy
Jun 5, 2011, 12:32 PM

I'm hopng for this myself... I'd like to give my MBP to my wife and scoop up a new Air!

OllyW
Jun 5, 2011, 12:33 PM
Shame there will be no live stream of the event. I will probably head over to Engadget. They are usually good at the coverage.

I always enjoy the piss taking comments you get with the Engadget live coverage. :D

rmwebs
Jun 5, 2011, 12:33 PM
I don't think Jun 14th would be giving app developers enough heads-up for the Lion launch, especially as many of them will be at WWDC this week. Most apps of course will run just fine, but there's definitely some that will require some work being done and developers should be given a fair heads-up that they need to actually make their apps start working as Lion reaches release candidate.

So far it's not been sensible to update to make apps work with Lion because it's in beta and things could still change. Dev's need some time with a build that's not going to change much before release.

The whole purpose of the Lion beta is to give developers that chance to see what they need to change. Generally devs will know that WWDC may be the release point so tend to get a fully working copy up on the latest beta before the GM release.

11thIndian
Jun 5, 2011, 12:34 PM

This year, yes. WWDC, no.

WannaGoMac
Jun 5, 2011, 12:36 PM
If in iOS twitter integration is considered a "major" new feature for iOS5 apple is in trouble. Seriously, who the heck cares if twitter is in the OS or not, there are a ton of apps that take care of most of that stupidity.

As a huge fan of iPhone, I hate to say that android is winning. I go to stores there are TONS of Android phones, look around and see a lot of android phones on the street where before it was mostly iPhones. Apple needs to step it up a notch, else I think we're starting to see a repeat of the Windows vs Mac loss.

OllyW
Jun 5, 2011, 12:39 PM
As a huge fan of iPhone, I hate to say that android is winning. I go to stores there are TONS of Android phones, look around and see a lot of android phones on the street where before it was mostly iPhones. Apple needs to step it up a notch, else I think we're starting to see a repeat of the Windows vs Mac loss.

Apple doesn't need to 'win' to continue with their success in the mobile phone business.

peterh988
Jun 5, 2011, 12:44 PM
Any chance Final Cut will become available via this event?

42streetsdown
Jun 5, 2011, 12:44 PM
well i was hoping for a live stream :( oh well.... Can we expect video to be posted afterwards? I hope they talk more about Final Cut Pro

11thIndian
Jun 5, 2011, 12:45 PM
If in iOS twitter integration is considered a "major" new feature for iOS5 apple is in trouble. Seriously, who the heck cares if twitter is in the OS or not, there are a ton of apps that take care of most of that stupidity.

I think by and large the people who are making a big deal about it are those tech pundits who live by/on Twitter. I wouldn't read too much into it.

There are going to be more android devices, that's just the law of numbers. Android is the Windows of mobile OS- and with so many manufacturers building Android devices, and carriers constantly needing something "New" to sell customers, that's just the way it's going to be.

Apple may come out with an alternate iPhone of some dimension to expand their model base, but there will never be a dozen new iPhones a year.

Law of numbers. It might be different if Android completely sucked, but it doesn't. Apple gets 1 shot at jumping ahead of the competition every year, and then they have to sit back and watch as competitors release phone after phone which [on paper] meet or exceed their hardware specs. Then they release a new iPhone and it starts all over. But unless you're freakishly obsessed about having the absolute best phone every month of the year, what's the issue?

WannaGoMac
Jun 5, 2011, 12:45 PM
Apple doesn't need to 'win' to continue with their success in the mobile phone business.

Not talking win, more like they are going to be pushed out of the market and lose. Remember how Apple almost went out of business in 90s? I look at some of the gorgeous Android hardware and wish Apple offered a little more choice in hardware and carriers. Android is still a mess, but give it another year or two and most of the fragmentation and lack of polish will be worked out...

fishmoose
Jun 5, 2011, 12:48 PM
Not talking win, more like they are going to be pushed out of the market and lose. Remember how Apple almost went out of business in 90s? I look at some of the gorgeous Android hardware and wish Apple offered a little more choice in hardware and carriers. Android is still a mess, but give it another year or two and most of the fragmentation and lack of polish will be worked out...

People said the same thing about Android a year ago or two as well, Android is like Ubuntu of the 00’s (in 5 years Ubuntu will be good enough for everyone!).

MacAddict1978
Jun 5, 2011, 12:49 PM
I wish they didn't stop streaming the events live - I know they did a couple.

It was always a nightmare trying to get the feed to work though. They'll have it up within an hour after the keynote, but you still have to fight for bandwidth on the stream.

I try really really hard not to cheat and watch any live blogs and wait to see the keynote.... but you can load any site these days without spoilers screaming at you like you could back in the day.

1 more day :D

11thIndian
Jun 5, 2011, 12:51 PM
well i was hoping for a live stream :( oh well.... Can we expect video to be posted afterwards? I hope they talk more about Final Cut Pro

This is completely the wrong event to be talking about FCPX. There's always the outside chance that Apple may talk about FCPX in relation to the AppStore and announce a release date, but that's long odds.

A room full of developers don't care about Pro Video software.

At this stage I'd be surprised if there is any more info given. It's very likely to just show up on the Mac AppStore, along with a large and detailed info page on apple.com. This will give everyone the information they need as to whether it's a product for them.

WannaGoMac
Jun 5, 2011, 12:51 PM
But unless you're freakishly obsessed about having the absolute best phone every month of the year, what's the issue?

Haha , not at all. I still use a 3GS. Big fan of what Apple has done in the last 6 years, and wish they would start moving a bit faster at improving iOS. Here's hoping we're all pleasantly surprised Monday as based on the rumors I am not impressed with the functionality they are rumoring. For example, cloud music streaming? Yeah with my awful AT&T connection I am not into using the cloud which is why I have a 32gb model! :)

Be great to see 32gb and 64gb for the iphone for example. I wasn't that impressed with the iPhone 4. Retina display was great but frankly in casual use my visual acuity isn't sharp or fast enough to really tell any difference between my current phone. Speedwise the iphone 4 wasn't hugely faster than the 3gs. Guess this is why I like my upgrade cycle, these middle product refreshes seem to last longer than the "major" upgrades...

RawBert
Jun 5, 2011, 12:52 PM
It's unlikely, but I would love it if iOS 5 for iPad released at the same time as for iPhone.

OllyW
Jun 5, 2011, 12:54 PM
I look at some of the gorgeous Android hardware and wish Apple offered a little more choice in hardware and carriers.

The carriers issue is more or less a US problem. The iPhone is already available on multiple networks in other countries and Android still has the highest market share in those markets.

As Apple are still making the highest profits in the industry while only selling two phone models I wouldn't say the alarm bells are ringing just yet.

fishmoose
It's unlikely, but I would love it if iOS 5 for iPad released at the same time as for iPhone.

I think it will be, it's time for Apple to considilate the iOS versions, so it should be released for iPhone 4 GSM and CDMA and iPad at the same time, one would imagine.

MacAddict1978

I'm sure it will, just not at this venue. I'm betting it will be announced at what is normally the iPod refresh (since iPods are not the exciting devices they once were and the iPhone would make that event exciting again.)

I'm not really excited about the next iPhone. It's not looking to be a big leap beyond the iPhone 4 hardware wise (maybe a better camera, tweaked form factor) but that's fine. When version 6 is getting ready to roll, LTE should be ready for prime time.

I'm more excited to see what IOS5 brings to the table. I think we'll find more newness out of the software than the new hardware. I hope!

jb1280
Jun 5, 2011, 12:55 PM

I don't see any reason for iOS 5 to not be released for both devices simultaneously. iOS 4.2 was the unifying release.

HobeSoundDarryl
Jun 5, 2011, 12:56 PM
[SIZE=1]I bet the new TC will look just like the iCloud logo. All silver and shiny with a big fat cloud on the top. Count on it! :-)

Once again, a metal cased router is going to block the wifi signals. Plastic is wifi signal friendly. Maybe silver-colored paint? Else, a metal-encased TC is probably going to need external antennas

ciTiger
Jun 5, 2011, 12:56 PM
Can t wait!

WannaGoMac
Jun 5, 2011, 12:57 PM
When version 6 is getting ready to roll, LTE should be ready for prime time.

haha, yes and welcome data caps, paying even MORE money for "faster" speeds, and even less battery life to support 4g.

MacAddict1978
Jun 5, 2011, 12:58 PM
The whole purpose of the Lion beta is to give developers that chance to see what they need to change. Generally devs will know that WWDC may be the release point so tend to get a fully working copy up on the latest beta before the GM release.

You are correct. Yet, from other threads, it doesn't sound like the most current beta copies are anywhere near ready for prime time. I really hope they don't rush this out the door. Honestly, I was really hoping tomorrow they'd show off a revamped look or something, maybe a few new features, and a September-ish launch. Stability is worth waiting for.

I'm wondering how many more released (if any) we'll see under the OSX branding.

MacAddict1978
Jun 5, 2011, 01:00 PM
I don't see any reason for iOS 5 to not be released for both devices simultaneously. iOS 4.2 was the unifying release.

History perhaps?

Supa_Fly
Jun 5, 2011, 01:03 PM
Space Invaders (ceiling) is STILL attacking ;)

PS: I think they've gone down one level closer :O

BlackMangoTree
Jun 5, 2011, 01:05 PM
It was always a nightmare trying to get the feed to work though. They'll have it up within an hour after the keynote, but you still have to fight for bandwidth on the stream.

No nightmare here. The stream worked perfectly and very good picture quality.

I see no reason why they can't offer the stream for this event.

r23w
Jun 5, 2011, 01:06 PM
wait why are people already inside the building? Did WWDC start today? I thought it started tomorrow

MacAddict1978
Jun 5, 2011, 01:06 PM
People said the same thing about Android a year ago or two as well, Android is like Ubuntu of the 00’s (in 5 years Ubuntu will be good enough for everyone!).

I don't get the comparison. Android is storming the masses and general consumer base. Ubuntu is still a geeks only OS. Walk into a room of 5,000 people and ask them to raise their hands if they know about Android. Almost everyone will raise their hand. Ubuntu.... crickets.

Android is more like Windows of late 1980s. It wasn't there... it came... it was everywhere.... and never went away. Ubuntu has been sitting in obscurity since day 1.

I agree with the OP. Apple is never going to compete. It's a numbers thing. Even if they released 2-3 iPhone models a year, they are going up against 100-300 new android devices per year. A slider iPhone... hey jobs...

11thIndian
Jun 5, 2011, 01:07 PM
Be great to see 32gb and 64gb for the iphone for example. I wasn't that impressed with the iPhone 4. Retina display was great but frankly in casual use my visual acuity isn't sharp or fast enough to really tell any difference between my current phone. Speedwise the iphone 4 wasn't hugely faster than the 3gs. Guess this is why I like my upgrade cycle, these middle product refreshes seem to last longer than the "major" upgrades...

Same here, I moved from 3G right to 4. Every 2 years seems a sensible refresh timeline [for consumers], unless there's a hardware feature you desperately need.

I think the notification system is the big item here, they're definitely behind there. Other than that, who knows, they could surprise with more wide-reaching iOS UI changes, but would it be improvement or just change for change sake?

Not every product Apple releases is for everyone. It doesn't have to be. Would I like access to my entire music library everywhere? Sure. But that's me. If you don't care much about music, or if you don't have guaranteed connection, it may not matter to you.

As one of the guys on Angry Mac Bastards said, people need to develop a bit more selective apathy. Care about the things you care about, and don't expel any thought or energy on things that you don't.

OllyW
Jun 5, 2011, 01:10 PM
wait why are people already inside the building? Did WWDC start today? I thought it started tomorrow

It tells you in the first post.

Developer registration began today

rmwebs
Jun 5, 2011, 01:13 PM
You are correct. Yet, from other threads, it doesn't sound like the most current beta copies are anywhere near ready for prime time. I really hope they don't rush this out the door. Honestly, I was really hoping tomorrow they'd show off a revamped look or something, maybe a few new features, and a September-ish launch. Stability is worth waiting for.

I'm wondering how many more released (if any) we'll see under the OSX branding.

Agreed. IMO I'd like to see a major overhaul of the entire UI...its starting to feel dated and tweaks to gradients and the traffic lights simply aren't enough. It just looks very tired now.

I'd also like to see a new UI tomorrow along with a launch later in the year, heck maybe even in January. I just hope they don't rush this through just go get it up and out for WWDC! The last few OSX releases have been very uninspiring and just provide minor tweaks. Even Leopard didn't really add much in the way of core functionality other than search tweaks and a few select features used by a minority of users.

MacAddict1978
Jun 5, 2011, 01:13 PM
haha, yes and welcome data caps, paying even MORE money for "faster" speeds, and even less battery life to support 4g.

Oh of course there will be the carrier greed. Especially if the idiots that are supposed to regulate monopolies allow the AT&T/T-Mobile merger. The more battery friendly chips coming this fall are already outdated though. Someone is already trying to outdo them.

Does LTE run in concert with GSM? (I know CDMA does not). Could that give AT&T devices better battery life not switching antennas all the time?

fishmoose
Jun 5, 2011, 01:15 PM
I don't get the comparison. Android is storming the masses and general consumer base. Ubuntu is still a geeks only OS. Walk into a room of 5,000 people and ask them to raise their hands if they know about Android. Almost everyone will raise their hand. Ubuntu.... crickets.

Android is more like Windows of late 1980s. It wasn't there... it came... it was everywhere.... and never went away. Ubuntu has been sitting in obscurity since day 1.

I agree with the OP. Apple is never going to compete. It's a numbers thing. Even if they released 2-3 iPhone models a year, they are going up against 100-300 new android devices per year. A slider iPhone... hey jobs...

I was comparing it towards your statement that Android will be polished in a year or two. People said the same thing about Ubuntu - that it would be polished in the future. Never happened. I don't think Android will be polished in one or two years, it usually don't work that way. Either you polish it day one or you don't at all.

You can't cash a check with market share, Apple has the profit in the mobile industry which is what really matters. Android may well be very popular in raw numbers but in mind share and profit it won't be a huge issue for Apple.

rmwebs
Jun 5, 2011, 01:16 PM

I agree. I dont actually think it would even be possible for Apple to attempt to compete.

Heres the thing. Apple may start at the top when they introduce a new product, but once everyone else catches up several years later, Apple gets swept under the carpet. Just like the Mac. Eventually Android will take the face of smart phones and an iPhone will be a Mac of the computer world: A desired device, but not something you 'MUST' have. The only way Apple will change this is with multiple models, releases, etc...which I don't think they would be capable of....its not in their nature.

MacAddict1978
Jun 5, 2011, 01:19 PM
I was comparing it towards your statement that Android will be polished in a year or two. People said the same thing about Ubuntu - that it would be polished in the future. Never happened. I don't think Android will be polished in one or two years, it usually don't work that way. Either you polish it day one or you don't at all.

You can't cash a check with market share, Apple has the profit in the mobile industry which is what really matters. Android may well be very popular in raw numbers but in mind share and profit it won't be a huge issue for Apple.

That wasn't my statement, but now I get it. Sorry misunderstood the comparison. And I completely agree. Though it's funny to me with Honeycomb Google is pushing refinement and consistency, yet still leaving the cluster F(#)%# with mobile phones. Google never polishes anything they do really. For all the tech and offerings they point out, no matter how useful they are, they always come off as clunky. Like Google Docs. Ever upgrade still leaves you saying WTF?

rmwebs
Jun 5, 2011, 01:20 PM

With respect, its Apples and Oranges. They cant be compared in any way at all. It'd be like comparing MS office with StarOffice.

Ubuntu is an OS with very little coverage. It doesn't have the apps people need. It doesn't have the backing of a well known body, etc.

Android has an active marketplace full of apps by known developers. It's backed by a household name, etc.

In addition, how many computers do you see in BestBuy running Ubuntu? Now how many phones in BestBuy do you see with Android on them?

See where I'm going here? They really aren't comparable in the slightest.

GeekLawyer
Jun 5, 2011, 01:20 PM
It tells you in the first post.You, with your fancy reading comprehension!

Dcuellar
Jun 5, 2011, 01:22 PM
I'm really hoping iOS5 brings jailbreak app Auto3G's functionality to increase battery life. If it were worked in with the OS it would operate even better than it does now.

Anyone here tried Auto3G? If so, you know what I mean.

MacAddict1978
Jun 5, 2011, 01:25 PM
I agree. I dont actually think it would even be possible for Apple to attempt to compete.

Heres the thing. Apple may start at the top when they introduce a new product, but once everyone else catches up several years later, Apple gets swept under the carpet. Just like the Mac. Eventually Android will take the face of smart phones and an iPhone will be a Mac of the computer world: A desired device, but not something you 'MUST' have. The only way Apple will change this is with multiple models, releases, etc...which I don't think they would be capable of....its not in their nature.

Agreed!
I think Apple's biggest problem is the minor incremental updates they do, and then tout them as something NEW AND EXCITING. It goes back to basic phone features like MMS and how long it took to include such basic things that should have been there at launch. Same with hardware. I see the marketing strategy in there, but they need to step it up a bit. In the time it takes to get 1 IOS refresh, Google puts out 2-3 with major changes and updates.

This year Widgets are going to be a hot feature (if the rumor is true). Widgets??? Something every other phone already has? Even basic messaging devices? (Face slap.) However, I am holding out hope that IOS5 will leave us with our tongues hanging out, but I'm also a realist that won't be disappointed if it lacks any wow factor.

NAG
Jun 5, 2011, 01:25 PM

Behold, iCloud!

Maverick1337
Jun 5, 2011, 01:26 PM
NEW TWITTER INTEGRATION!!! ZOMG!! I for one cannot wait for iOS 5 to finally have twitter integration!

/end sarcasm

iOS 5 is probably going to fail if out of the top 3 upgrades, twitter integration is one of them...le sigh...

fishmoose
Jun 5, 2011, 01:26 PM
That wasn't my statement, but now I get it. Sorry misunderstood the comparison. And I completely agree. Though it's funny to me with Honeycomb Google is pushing refinement and consistency, yet still leaving the cluster F(#)%# with mobile phones. Google never polishes anything they do really. For all the tech and offerings they point out, no matter how useful they are, they always come off as clunky. Like Google Docs. Ever upgrade still leaves you saying WTF?

Yeah, Google likes to get things out as quickly as possible and they count on people's willingness to use them because they are free, not because they're great which is Apple's approach.

With respect, its Apples and Oranges. They cant be compared in any way at all. It'd be like comparing MS office with StarOffice.

Ubuntu is an OS with very little coverage. It doesn't have the apps people need. It doesn't have the backing of a well known body, etc.

Android has an active marketplace full of apps by known developers. It's backed by a household name, etc.

In addition, how many computers do you see in BestBuy running Ubuntu? Now how many phones in BestBuy do you see with Android on them?

See where I'm going here? They really aren't comparable in the slightest.

Android is well spread but it's not well known, the majority of Android users have no clue they are using Android. As for apps, Linux has apps that match their more well known counterparts but much like Android apps they are not as good as the competition. Android apps are there but no Android app is as polished and functional as iOS apps.

Cougarcat
Jun 5, 2011, 01:32 PM
I'm still vainly praying to the live stream gods. A perfect way to test out the new data center, perhaps? :rolleyes:

I wonder how Apple decides whether to do a stream or not. If they are not confident that their servers can handle it, or they don't want to incur the costs, why not charge a small access fee? I'd totally pay $5 to watch it.

MacNewsFix
Jun 5, 2011, 01:47 PM
swag per

http://twitpic.com/photos/GordonHughes

Snazzy! :D

Behold, iCloud!

I hate when I'm trapped on a crowded elevator, and someone releases their personal iCloud.

GizmoDVD
Jun 5, 2011, 01:51 PM
Anyone know of a place streaming (either audio or audio/video) WWDC tomorrow? I'd like to watch it through my iPhone while at work.

dscuber9000
Jun 5, 2011, 01:52 PM
My job would start tomorrow... :mad:

Stupid "work."

iOS 5 is probably going to fail if out of the top 3 upgrades, twitter integration is one of them...le sigh...
I'll never understand the determined hatred some people have for social networking.

Soura2112
Jun 5, 2011, 01:55 PM
I am very excitedbto hear whats new. Not big on twitter, just not my not my thing. Cloud = very cool, I hope and OS 5. Very excited for Lion. With no date on FCX I would love to just hear a street date. Such as "Lion will cone out June 22nd......and Final Cut X will be the first powerful app to be used day 1 with Lion." something like that. Just please one sentence on FCX all I ask.
This should be a great show, I live near SF, to bad I can't go!

Nielsenius
Jun 5, 2011, 01:58 PM
I'll never understand the determined hatred some people have for social networking.
I believe Maverick's point was not that Twitter integration would make iOS 5 a fail, but that the OS would be a flop if Twitter integration is a top new feature. Most people would hope that after a year Apple would have more to offer than simply the addition of a social network to their mobile operating system. I would agree with this. But, we'll see what tomorrow holds.

saving107
Jun 5, 2011, 01:59 PM
Behold, iCloud!

thats pure awesomeness.

Hueyfreeman
Jun 5, 2011, 02:00 PM
Just had a thought.

Whats the betting that Google, Microsoft or Samsung will announce something huge either late tonight or early tomorrow. IIRC it happened last year (or the year before) as an attempt to lower focus on WWDC.

Im betting Microsoft they did it to google this year with the purchase of Skype right before Google IO.

Nosrettap
Jun 5, 2011, 02:00 PM
Why wouldn't they have a live feed?

HelveticaNeue
Jun 5, 2011, 02:01 PM
Why does the day before WWDC always feel like Christmas Eve?

Cougarcat
Jun 5, 2011, 02:02 PM

Dude, this is better than Christmas Eve! On Christmas Eve, I always know what I'm going to get! :)

saving107
Jun 5, 2011, 02:03 PM
Why wouldn't they have a live feed?

It hasn't been ruled out yet. The last event Apple streamed they announced it like 15-30 minutes before it started.

Nielsenius
Jun 5, 2011, 02:05 PM
Dude, this is better than Christmas Eve! On Christmas Eve, I always know what I'm going to get! :)
Haha, agreed. I, for one, hope that Apple has at least one surprise in store for us tomorrow. A new iPhone or MacBook Air would be cool to see.

unlinked
Jun 5, 2011, 02:06 PM
My job would start tomorrow... :mad:

Stupid "work."

Tomorrow is the June bank holiday. No work for me.

snarkies
Jun 5, 2011, 02:07 PM
The tweet buttons are little ****ed up on the main page post, it offers me to tweet about time capsule when i want to tweet about wwdc. :(
Edit: Yay, buttons got fixed!

Haha, agreed. I, for one, hope that Apple has at least one surprise in store for us tomorrow. A new iPhone or MacBook Air would be cool to see.

I would want iOS5 tomorrow to be available! ;D

Dcuellar
Jun 5, 2011, 02:08 PM

Does that mean you're going to bed early today?

jacollins
Jun 5, 2011, 02:09 PM

I wouldn't bet on it. Apple's been pretty poor (in comparison to a few years ago) at keeping major secrets lately.

Cougarcat
Jun 5, 2011, 02:10 PM
It hasn't been ruled out yet. The last event Apple streamed they announced it like 15-30 minutes before it started.

Wow, really?

Thank you, good sir. You have renewed my hope!

TimTheEnchanter
Jun 5, 2011, 02:11 PM

Biff Tannen.... where are you?! :D

LegendKillerUK
Jun 5, 2011, 02:11 PM
It's usually up on iTunes in the podcast section by the evening anyway.

Cougarcat
Jun 5, 2011, 02:12 PM
It's usually up on iTunes in the podcast section by the evening anyway.

If only I had self-restraint.

Jessica Lares
Jun 5, 2011, 02:14 PM
I'm just hoping that iCloud isn't a huge disappointment and has to do with the Time Capsule. TC was a great idea in the beginning but I don't know. I feel it went the same way as MobileMe.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/3706/lion600.png

I have money on hand in case something good comes along tomorrow though. :D. I'll have to hold off on Lion though as I'm getting a new MBP soon anyway.

macrhino
Jun 5, 2011, 02:24 PM
I can't wait

Azadre
Jun 5, 2011, 02:26 PM
If iCloud requires TC, I will give up on Apple's vision.

Wayfarer
Jun 5, 2011, 02:26 PM
Behold, iCloud!

You win the internets.

DocNYz
Jun 5, 2011, 02:28 PM
where's the countdown clock at the head of the MR webpage!?

DocNYz
Jun 5, 2011, 02:30 PM

Not counting on it but would really love to see both of them, especially both with thunderbolt ... probably way too much to ask for though :/

Jun 5, 2011, 02:35 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Everyone, iOS will lose. Everyone will also own a Zune in two or three years, and Windows will reach 99% market share. *answers phone* What? Yes? Everyone, I'm being told that the Zune had been discontinued and that Mac is the only PC OS that is gaining market share.

Hueyfreeman
Jun 5, 2011, 02:42 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Everyone, iOS will lose. Everyone will also own a Zune in two or three years, and Windows will reach 99% market share. *answers phone* What? Yes? Everyone, I'm being told that the Zune had been discontinued and that Mac is the only PC OS that is gaining market share.

I don't see Apple ever going beyond 15% percent of OSs due to the fact that they do not offer a better variety of hardware. Mac computers are OK but for some people they need more. Plus price does not help.

kultschar
Jun 5, 2011, 02:42 PM
How would one revamp iOS??

I mean you cannot get any better or simpler interface in my opinion - well I cant imagine it anyhow :)

All I can see Apple doing is adding amazing new features such as better notifications and things we never thought was possible, a few wow surprises however cant see a total revamp without making things more complicated in an un-apple way???

The Twitter rumours are prob true however surely not a main feature. One thing I would like to have is the ability to have maps offline for navigation purposes however a lot of things that would improve the iPhone would prob kill of some app developers apps, hence I guess Apple have to draw a line somewhere?

Yamcha
Jun 5, 2011, 02:46 PM
Yay, I love WWDC, I'm really hoping for official Lion release, even though I've been using developer version it'd be nice to use one that all my applications will work on :P

arcite
Jun 5, 2011, 02:47 PM
http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/wwdc21.jpg

What is with the brushed metal?....... :confused:

HelveticaNeue
Jun 5, 2011, 02:49 PM
Does that mean you're going to bed early today?

I'm gonna try, but it's hard to fall asleep if I'm too excited. :(

bushido
Jun 5, 2011, 02:51 PM
How would one revamp iOS??

I mean you cannot get any better or simpler interface in my opinion - well I cant imagine it anyhow :)
?

i hope to god they come up with some awesome stuff, i'm tired of the dated UI after owning 3 iPhones and one iPod Touch. But i guess they won't change much about that unfortunately.

i'm hoping for the revamped notifications which is a given and some freakin widgets that i can place on the lockscreen or something, so i can check the weather etc. fast without having to open the app first (the big lockscreen has been pointless for too many years already)

FOLDERS for pictures, doing it over iPhoto is so annoying. i also would wish for something like "SBSettings" so i can check how much ram i got left etc and switch off wifi without having to go to settings first

there's a lot more i cant think off right now

iRobby
Jun 5, 2011, 02:52 PM
I'm just hoping that iCloud isn't a huge disappointment and has to do with the Time Capsule. TC was a great idea in the beginning but I don't know. I feel it went the same way as MobileMe.

Image (http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/3706/lion600.png)

I have money on hand in case something good comes along tomorrow though. :D. I'll have to hold off on Lion though as I'm getting a new MBP soon anyway.

Well since both MobileMe and Time Capsule are both disappointments maybe NOW it may be an attempt to fix those failures together at the same time and they may just be successful

NAG
Jun 5, 2011, 02:54 PM

Let's party like it is 1999!

Maybe iCloud is iTools brought back and rebranded. :lol:

Oh, and as far as the elevator spy shot, trying to get iCloud into the elevator was really hard. It kept spilling out all over the hall. You cannot contain the awesome magic of iCloud.

WaltFrench
Jun 5, 2011, 02:59 PM

Hmmm… Apple has gone from zero to world's second biggest phone manufacturer in 4 years; their new approach has knocked out Nokia and Palm, while BlackBerry and WinPhone7 are on the ropes. But Apple just doesn't compete.

What would it look like if they DID compete?

Another little factoid from the Windows war that Apple lost because they don't know how to compete: Friday Apple's stock value topped the total of Microsoft + Intel. Every investor has a different reason for buying one stock versus another, but expected growth is near the top of almost all investors' lists. The people who have no reason to get their egos wrapped up in A vs B flamewars are saying that Apple's future growth looks pretty damned impressive — especially considering that 10 years ago, MSFT+INTC was almost 100X AAPL.

WWDC is about what products they're bringing to market in 2011 and beyond. Most posters here are recognizing that a seamless cloud that ties together your phone, your desktop, your music, your files no matter where you want to access them, simply, is one MF big deal. We'll have a better idea in 21 hours!

PBF
Wait, could someone explain the first pic to me, please. It's only Sunday and there are people waiting in line already??? :confused::confused::confused:

Nightarchaon
I am worried that apple , being the poor struggling startup that it is, is going to start expecting us to pay a subscription fee to use features in it's OS that other companies give for free , such as the ability to install your own choice of software (I am expecting apple to go APP store only, if not in lion , then maybe in the next OS "Mountain Lion" or whatever)

OllyW
Jun 5, 2011, 03:00 PM
Wait, could someone explain the first pic to me, please. It's only Sunday and there are people waiting in line already??? :confused::confused::confused:

Read the writing under the picture. :rolleyes:

PBF
Jun 5, 2011, 03:00 PM
Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/wwdc21.jpg)

Obviously, it's the soon-to-be-killed iSync.

blow45
Jun 5, 2011, 03:02 PM
Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/wwdc21.jpg)

The new a la Mac mini time capsules in aluminum, you read it here first.

PBF
Jun 5, 2011, 03:03 PM
Read the writing under the picture. :rolleyes:
Duh! :o

Thanks.

Reach9
Jun 5, 2011, 03:05 PM
There might not be a live feed, we'll know soon. But thankfully there is Twitter :cool:

OllyW
Jun 5, 2011, 03:05 PM
Duh! :o

Thanks.

You're not the first to ask that question. :D

Darlo770
Jun 5, 2011, 03:06 PM
I wonder if the new Time Capsule will be your 'ticket' into the cloud, so to speak?

Perhaps, if you purchase a Time Capsule (knowing it's hefty price tag) Apple will realise that we won't want to pay even more for cloud services on top of that, and allow free full use of iCloud? Perhaps including music streaming?-(Or maybe that's a bit optimistic)

I've just bought a Iomega NAS with the intention of centralising my media (mainly iTunes music) to share between computers. It hasn't gone too smoothly needless to say (1 computer on iTunes at a time). I was hoping Apple would come to the rescue with something like this.

So if Apple introduce this new Time Capsule with a considerably cheaper price-tag (or keep it the same and bundle in free iCloud) i'd have to sell my recently purchased Iomega 1TB NAS and router, in replacement for the new Time Capsule.

So do you think the price of the new Time Capsule will drop, increase, or stay the same?

YourHerojb
Jun 5, 2011, 03:12 PM
The live macrumors feed is the only important thing I'll ever want to use twitter for. Maybe the Twitter integration will be good for that.... once a year :p

RoelJuun
Jun 5, 2011, 03:13 PM
I don't think that the UI of the app-grid is gonna change very much (yeah notifications might change) since Apple just ported the app-grid to Lion… It would be silly to introduce / use the Launchpad on Lion to lure and make Windows+iPhone-users feel comfortable while the grid is suddenly gone in iOS 5.

zedsdead
Jun 5, 2011, 03:13 PM
WWDC Predictions:

(1) iCloud - rebranded MobileMe, with major Sync features. Will finally be as good as Dropbox, but system wide. iTunes features not fully robust yet but will be fully functional in September which will be demoed at the annual iPod Event.

(2) Time Capsule update - related to the iCloud announcement as rumors have suggested. A5 processor, Media + Document Server to Macs and iOS. Automatic updates as well.

(3) iOS 5 - Biggest upgrade to iOS since the app store. New notifications, new swiping gestures, widgets, more multitasking, etc...release for both iPhone/iPad in the fall, BETA available at WWDC.

(4) Mac OSX Lion - same features that have been already demoed. Only new features will be anything related to iCloud. Hopefully there is something else that is new, but I am not holding my breath. Best new feature = price point of $49...on the Mac App Store in two weeks.

(5) Back to School Promo - only news because they will take $200 off an iPad.

(6) One More Thing: Macbook Air Update - mentioned to coincide with the Lion release as it did at the Lion preview last October. Sandybridge + Backlit Keyboard returns.

No iPhone update.
No iWork update.
No Blu-Ray support in OSX.
No Final Cut X info (although this should be coming VERY soon).

Stuipdboy1000
Jun 5, 2011, 03:15 PM
I wonder if the new Time Capsule will be your 'ticket' into the cloud, so to speak?

Perhaps, if you purchase a Time Capsule (knowing it's hefty price tag) Apple will realise that we won't want to pay even more for cloud services on top of that, and allow free full use of iCloud? Perhaps including music streaming?-(Or maybe that's a bit optimistic)

I've just bought a Iomega NAS with the intention of centralising my media (mainly iTunes music) to share between computers. It hasn't gone too smoothly needless to say (1 computer on iTunes at a time). I was hoping Apple would come to the rescue with something like this.

So if Apple introduce this new Time Capsule with a considerably cheaper price-tag (or keep it the same and bundle in free iCloud) i'd have to sell my recently purchased Iomega 1TB NAS and router, in replacement for the new Time Capsule.

So do you think the price of the new Time Capsule will drop, increase, or stay the same?

If it is required and if they want people to jump onboard their cloud bandwagon, they'll seriously need to consider lowering the price. Even if they shave it to sub-£200, they'll probably gain a few more customers.

oliversl
Jun 5, 2011, 03:16 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; es-es) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Looks like the best choice is to wait for the keynote on iTunes, and live under a rock the whole Monday

Gen
Jun 5, 2011, 03:21 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; es-es) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Looks like the best choice is to wait for the keynote on iTunes, and live under a rock the whole Monday

It's what I always do on Apple days.

Popeye206
Jun 5, 2011, 03:21 PM
WWDC Predictions:

(1) iCloud - rebranded MobileMe, with major Sync features. Will finally be as good as Dropbox, but system wide. iTunes features not fully robust yet but will be fully functional in September which will be demoed at the annual iPod Event.

(2) Time Capsule update - related to the iCloud announcement as rumors have suggested. A5 processor, Media + Document Server to Macs and iOS. Automatic updates as well.

(3) iOS 5 - Biggest upgrade to iOS since the app store. New notifications, new swiping gestures, widgets, more multitasking, etc...release for both iPhone/iPad in the fall, BETA available at WWDC.

(4) Mac OSX Lion - same features that have been already demoed. Only new features will be anything related to iCloud. Hopefully there is something else that is new, but I am not holding my breath. Best new feature = price point of $49...on the Mac App Store in two weeks.

(6) One More Thing: Macbook Air Update - mentioned to coincide with the Lion release as it did at the Lion preview last October. Sandybridge + Backlit Keyboard returns.

No iPhone update.
No iWork update.

I'd say no MacBook Air tomorrow... that will come later in the week. Everything tomorrow I think will be Software only.

Only thing I would add to iOS5 is no more docking required for OS updates, and a file system so you can save documents in folders for the iPad. I hope. :D

Otherwise... I think you're dead on... BTW... Blu-Ray? Really? Why bother?

Cougarcat
Jun 5, 2011, 03:23 PM
WWDC Predictions:

I think you are spot-on with everything except the MBA, and I have a feeling the iTunes streaming will be ready to go tomorrow. There's just been too much buzz about it.

I will also add that if Lion is Appstore-only, Apple will announce a free service to obtain it from a retail store: bring a flash drive, and they'll put it on there for you. Or, bring your laptop and let Apple install it for you.

TigerWoodsIV
Jun 5, 2011, 03:23 PM
No.

Why isn't there a possibility of a new MacBook Air? Albeit unlikely, there is certainly a possibility that Apple could have gotten the proper Sandy Bridge chips by now. Won't be a "new" MBA but why not a couple upgrades? I at least think there's a chance that they left something off the list. Apple never even gives us a list, what are the odds that they go from telling us nothing to telling us everything prior to the event. There has to be a "...one more thing."

Cougarcat
Jun 5, 2011, 03:26 PM
Why isn't there a possibility of a new MacBook Air?

Because there would be nothing to show off. Everyone knows what the new MBA will be like: Thunderbolt, intel graphics, Sandybridge, but otherwise identical. Just like the MBP upgrade earlier in the year. Why waste time during the Keynote for it? More likely it'll be a silent update either tomorrow or an upcoming Tuesday.

shompa
Jun 5, 2011, 03:28 PM
I'm sure it will, just not at this venue. I'm betting it will be announced at what is normally the iPod refresh (since iPods are not the exciting devices they once were and the iPhone would make that event exciting again.)

I'm not really excited about the next iPhone. It's not looking to be a big leap beyond the iPhone 4 hardware wise (maybe a better camera, tweaked form factor) but that's fine. When version 6 is getting ready to roll, LTE should be ready for prime time.

I'm more excited to see what IOS5 brings to the table. I think we'll find more newness out of the software than the new hardware. I hope!

It will take many years before LTE is in prime time.
When 3G was released in 2000, it had 384kbit speeds. Today you can get 21 megabit (14 with Iphone4).

It took 5 years for 3G to get "power efficient". 7 years before Apple put it into its hardware. Still today: If I use 3G I get about 18 hours use with my iphone. If I switch to 2G I have over a week on the same phone. I hope LTE does not have the same problem.

Can someone also explain to me why 21megabit on a phone is not enough today? Are you going to download Blu rays to you phone?

hobo.hopkins
Jun 5, 2011, 03:29 PM
(I am expecting apple to go APP store only, if not in lion , then maybe in the next OS "Mountain Lion" or whatever)

What has Apple done that would make you expect that?

rmwebs
Jun 5, 2011, 03:30 PM
Why isn't there a possibility of a new MacBook Air? Albeit unlikely, there is certainly a possibility that Apple could have gotten the proper Sandy Bridge chips by now. Won't be a "new" MBA but why not a couple upgrades? I at least think there's a chance that they left something off the list. Apple never even gives us a list, what are the odds that they go from telling us nothing to telling us everything prior to the event. There has to be a "...one more thing."

There's also a possibility Apple will introduce a headless mac...or a mid-end desktop mac without a screen. Doesn't mean its going to happen ;)

If anything is going to happen on the laptop front it'll be the complete removal of the current MacBook range and a new range of MacBooks with a similar shape and form as the Air...effectively merging the two lines back into one as it used to be.

Apple Mac Tec
Jun 5, 2011, 03:35 PM
I'm hoping they finish WWDC with a release of iTunes 11 minus Ping

OllyW
Jun 5, 2011, 03:36 PM
I'm hoping they finish WWDC with a release of iTunes 11 minus Ping

Just turn it off in iTunes Preferences.

Hueyfreeman
Jun 5, 2011, 03:37 PM
Hmmm… Apple has gone from zero to world's second biggest phone manufacturer in 4 years; their new approach has knocked out Nokia and Palm, while BlackBerry and WinPhone7 are on the ropes. But Apple just doesn't compete.

What would it look like if they DID compete?

Another little factoid from the Windows war that Apple lost because they don't know how to compete: Friday Apple's stock value topped the total of Microsoft + Intel. Every investor has a different reason for buying one stock versus another, but expected growth is near the top of almost all investors' lists. The people who have no reason to get their egos wrapped up in A vs B flamewars are saying that Apple's future growth looks pretty damned impressive — especially considering that 10 years ago, MSFT+INTC was almost 100X AAPL.

WWDC is about what products they're bringing to market in 2011 and beyond. Most posters here are recognizing that a seamless cloud that ties together your phone, your desktop, your music, your files no matter where you want to access them, simply, is one MF big deal. We'll have a better idea in 21 hours!

Apple is 4th with 4.1% of the total share of mobile phones. If it is smart phones then I think its samsung then apple.

http://www.internetekg.com/?p=198

PBF
Jun 5, 2011, 03:40 PM
WWDC Predictions:

No iPhone update.
No iWork update.
There's no way MobileMe will be rebranded as iCloud. Then our @me.com email addresses won't make much sense anymore, think about it.

jonnysods
Jun 5, 2011, 03:43 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

I'll be there - in spirit. Bring on 1pm!

OllyW
Jun 5, 2011, 03:43 PM
There's no way MobileMe will be rebranded as iCloud. Then our @me.com email addresses won't make much sense anymore, think about it.

Some of us have still got our @mac.com addresses after .Mac changed to MobileMe. :)

Cougarcat
Jun 5, 2011, 03:44 PM

Just look at the logo, it's pretty obvious it's being rebranded. Same MobileMe cloud.

New accounts will get @icloud.com. Your @me.com address will still work, just as @mac.com does.

DocNYz
Jun 5, 2011, 03:47 PM
can someone please start a spoiler free thread? Voidness you there?

DocNYz
Jun 5, 2011, 03:48 PM
Some of us have still got our @mac.com addresses after .Mac changed to MobileMe. :)

Yup, still got mine.

Sankersizzle
Jun 5, 2011, 03:49 PM
I know this is probably stated somewhere else, but what times should I tune into @macrumourslive tomorrow?

OllyW
Jun 5, 2011, 03:49 PM

What gets posted in a spoiler free thread?

Cougarcat
Jun 5, 2011, 03:52 PM
i know this is probably stated somewhere else, but what times should i tune into @macrumourslive tomorrow?

10 am pst.

Sankersizzle
Jun 5, 2011, 03:54 PM
10 am pst.

So, 1 PM for me! Thanks bra. If my 3GS gets left in the dust I'm going to be so upset. I hate the form factor of the 4, I might go for whatever fullscreen BB Touch comes out.

shompa
Jun 5, 2011, 03:57 PM
Agreed!
I think Apple's biggest problem is the minor incremental updates they do, and then tout them as something NEW AND EXCITING. It goes back to basic phone features like MMS and how long it took to include such basic things that should have been there at launch. Same with hardware. I see the marketing strategy in there, but they need to step it up a bit. In the time it takes to get 1 IOS refresh, Google puts out 2-3 with major changes and updates.

This year Widgets are going to be a hot feature (if the rumor is true). Widgets??? Something every other phone already has? Even basic messaging devices? (Face slap.) However, I am holding out hope that IOS5 will leave us with our tongues hanging out, but I'm also a realist that won't be disappointed if it lacks any wow factor.

MMS is one of the most stupid things there is. Use email on the phone.

Widgets was innovated to OSX 10.4 and later copied to windows/google. No one I know uses widgets on computers. Why is this so important on phones? Can't apps do the same as widgets?

Google has had an easy ride so far. They bought Android. Copied ideas from Apple including cloning the Iphone on Android prototypes. Android 3.x is Googles first own version of Android. So far they have not been able to make a stable release of 3.x.

The interesting thing is that being best does not matter.

In 1980ish: Steve confronted Bill about Microsoft copied Windows from mac prototypes.
Bill: "You are to late"
Steve: "We are better then you. We have better stuff"
Bill: "You don't get it Steve. That does not matter!"
(from the book Fire in the valley)

The point being. Android does not have to be as good as Ios. Since majority of people who use Android never used or will use Ios, they don't care.
Same with PC. People believe that your computer should crash a couple of times per week, and that virus and malware has to exist. They don't understand that it is a Windows problem.

No *nix has had problem with viruses (it is technically impossible to make viruses on *nix since you need be given Root password by the individual user), and malware/scareware has been very limited. Until now: Google Android has had over 350000 infected phones. It took Google to make *nix insecure.

Users with Android have loads of problems that are unheard of in Ios. All the widgets and in elegant multitasking results in 3hour battery time. Solution: Download power management app, disable widgets and multitasking programs.
There are loads of malware in the Google app store. Solution: install firewall on you phone.

Tech geeks think its normal to have to install apps to make your phone work. I call it an un elegant solution.

DocNYz
Jun 5, 2011, 04:00 PM
What gets posted in a spoiler free thread?

Every time that Apple doesn't post a live stream, a bunch of us who like watching the video that gets posted later like to not know anything about what is and isn't said during the presentation and watch it once it's posted as if it were live so we get surprised during the keynote in stead of by a third party tweet or something. A few people keep checking if it's posted on apple's site or iTunes that don't care and tell us, and Voidness in the past has written a script so that it notifies us automatically when it's up, without us going to the page and seeing like "ipad 2 announced, watch the video" or in this case "iphone 4s, keynote here" or something. Those of us who stay in the thread talk about anything not related to apple that day, tomorrow, usually previous posts or music/film/general thoughts etc. MR usually hosts one every event on page 2 but I haven't seen it yet in the "mac blog" new section ..."

AppleScruff1
Jun 5, 2011, 04:06 PM
Maybe Steve will announce his retirement. That would be newsworthy.

ibjoshua
Jun 5, 2011, 04:09 PM
Obviously, it's the soon-to-be-killed iSync.

Exactly the association I made. The iCloud button is essentially a squared iSync button with new decals.

I doubt very much that this a coincidence or laziness on the part of Apple. Syncing is the whole reason for iCloud. So if it's replacing iSync, is it also possible that we might see it replacing some of the iTunes syncing bloat?

OllyW
Jun 5, 2011, 04:14 PM
Every time that Apple doesn't post a live stream, a bunch of us who like watching the video that gets posted later like to not know anything about what is and isn't said during the presentation and watch it once it's posted as if it were live so we get surprised during the keynote in stead of by a third party tweet or something. A few people keep checking if it's posted on apple's site or iTunes that don't care and tell us, and Voidness in the past has written a script so that it notifies us automatically when it's up, without us going to the page and seeing like "ipad 2 announced, watch the video" or in this case "iphone 4s, keynote here" or something. Those of us who stay in the thread talk about anything not related to apple that day, tomorrow, usually previous posts or music/film/general thoughts etc. MR usually hosts one every event on page 2 but I haven't seen it yet in the "mac blog" new section ..."

Sounds good.

I'd join you there but I'm too impatient. :)

jpg
Jun 5, 2011, 04:17 PM
There already is one.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1163940

Now Macrumors. Highlight it on your Front page...

PBF
Jun 5, 2011, 04:19 PM
Just look at the logo, it's pretty obvious it's being rebranded. Same MobileMe cloud.

New accounts will get @icloud.com. Your @me.com address will still work, just as @mac.com does.
Are you sure about that part?

icloud.com is just too long a word. Also, kinda impractical to buy me.com domain name for millions of dollars only to have it phased out a couple of years later. :confused:

rmwebs
Jun 5, 2011, 04:25 PM

icloud.com is just too long a word. Also, kinda impractical to buy me.com domain name for millions of dollars only to have it phased out a couple of years later. :confused:

I dont think Me will be phased out. Its too....new. Granted its got a very bad reputation for being slow, unreliable and buggy...but Apple will want to keep it there otherwise it'll be almost admitting that they failed.

I think iCloud will have only a minor part in the MobileMe arena, and become its own additional product.

Carl Sagan
Jun 5, 2011, 04:28 PM
Thinking about it, I'd like the One More Thing...to be an updated MBA. Give it HD Facetime, backlit keyboard, sandbridge, better battery and a 3G micro sim bay and dump it into the Macbook space (with similar pricing). The MBA is a an iCloud device in essence due to it's small storage; it should have 3G connectivity...

Cougarcat
Jun 5, 2011, 04:29 PM

No, I'm not sure. me.com is nice and short. It's quite possible they could put everything under the "iCloud" umbrella, but keep the calendar/webmail stuff as "MobileMe." We'll see tomorrow.

Thinking about it, I'd like the One More Thing...to be an updated MBA. Give it HD Facetime, backlit keyboard, sandbridge, better battery and a 3G micro sim bay and dump it into the Macbook space (with similar pricing). The MBA is a an iCloud device in essence due to it's small storage; it should have 3G connectivity...

If the MBA were to warrant a mention, it would need a major new feature--it couldn't be just a speed bump like the new MBP. 3G sounds plausible--there's built-in 3G support in Lion now. It would fit in nicely with the iCloud. $599 MBA with 2-year 3G contract would definitely warrant a "one more thing." I wouldn't hold my breath, though.

I dont think Me will be phased out. Its too....new. Granted its got a very bad reputation for being slow, unreliable and buggy...but Apple will want to keep it there otherwise it'll be almost admitting that they failed.

Apple has no trouble admitting when they failed. Remember the AppleTV 2.0 introduction? I expect when steve introduces iCloud, he will first talk about why MobileMe sucks, and then how iCloud is fixing it.

PolarIced
Jun 5, 2011, 04:30 PM

But MMS doesn't require servers, TCP/IP etc. It has a purpose.

FoxMcCloud
Jun 5, 2011, 04:33 PM
I reckon the mini will be silently refreshed this week, like last year.
Perhaps the MBA will be too or they will wait till october like last year, and when intel have the newer lower power sandy bridge chips for ultra portables.
Safari 6 perchance.....no itunes till September, unless they have magically and secretly re-written it and are going to blow us away with it at WWDC, with immediate availabilty.

iRobby
Jun 5, 2011, 04:33 PM

iCloud is not too long.

@iCloud.com = 11 characters
@hotmail.com = 12 Characters
@yahoo.com = 10 Character
@comcast.net = 12 Characters
@verion.net = 11 Characters

scottparker999
Jun 5, 2011, 04:36 PM
So if it's replacing iSync, is it also possible that we might see it replacing some of the iTunes syncing bloat?

That would be a great idea.

Renverse
Jun 5, 2011, 04:40 PM
If iCloud is to replace MobileMe I hope they keep the @Me.com addresses. I've always wanted one but I resented the $99/year fee for mobileme. I'd gladly pay $25 if iCloud turned out to be good.

abqboy87
Jun 5, 2011, 04:41 PM

I'm with you on this one. Seems like it would be a shock not to have them released at the same time... I hope the beta is out tomorrow.

ehoui
Jun 5, 2011, 04:47 PM
Maybe Steve will announce his retirement. That would be newsworthy.

He'll be announcing his hugs chock (http://twitter.com/#!/chockenberry/status/72733297230364672) before that.

Prynce
Jun 5, 2011, 04:49 PM
What will it take to convince Steve Jobs to stream the EVENT!!!

irwcll94
Jun 5, 2011, 04:51 PM
Really mad I wasn't able to go. I was lucky enough to buy two tickets with money I have earned from making apps (one for me and one for my dad since I am under 18) but Apple still wouldn't let me go. I think this is completely unfair since, although I am 16, I have had over two years of experience in the App Store, which I am sure is longer than some of the people attending... not to mention one of my apps made it to number 2 in the entire store :(

ProwlingTiger
Jun 5, 2011, 04:57 PM
If iCloud is to replace MobileMe I hope they keep the @Me.com addresses. I've always wanted one but I resented the $99/year fee for mobileme. I'd gladly pay $25 if iCloud turned out to be good.

You could've picked up one off eBay. I've been renewing my MobileMe for less than half price by shopping on Amazon and eBay.

spooky2k
Jun 5, 2011, 04:58 PM
People keep saying Android is a house hold name. I just did the 'Mum and Dad' test (really not that into tech. Like their computer and TV but don't talk on forums like us). Result: They had no idea what it is. On the other hand, they're interested in getting an iPad for around the house.

Apple are doing a great job appealing to the every man. The market is growing fast and Android will lap up lots of those consumers, as will Apple, as will other companies (note: talking about Android like it's a company is really silly).

In terms of appeal, I've always seen Apple as the Nintendo of the computing world.

PBF
Jun 5, 2011, 04:59 PM
iCloud is not too long.

It is too long compared to me.com and mac.com.

P.S. I still think MobileMe will not be rebranded as iCloud because Apple would have to change all the associated URLs too. I just can't imagine them going with something long and ugly as this:

gallery.icloud.com/blah-blah-blah
web.icloud.com/blah-blah-blah
blah-blah-blah@icloud.com

jmcrutch
Jun 5, 2011, 05:02 PM
You could've picked up one off eBay. I've been renewing my MobileMe for less than half price by shopping on Amazon and eBay.

Can someone explain to me where an eBay seller would get a copy of MobileMe to sell for less than 1/2 off? Would they have gotten it for free somehow?

QuarterSwede
Jun 5, 2011, 05:02 PM
P.S. I still think MobileMe will not be rebranded as iCloud because Apple would have to change all the associated URLs too.
They did just that when they went from mac.com to me.com. It's possible. Not sure how likely it is though.

fraggot
Jun 5, 2011, 05:07 PM
I'm just waiting for those last minute images to surface that are of some new stuff we don't know about. It happens almost every year, some grainy picture of a device or something surfaces.

bushido
Jun 5, 2011, 05:08 PM
People keep saying Android is a house hold name. I just did the 'Mum and Dad' test (really not that into tech. Like their computer and TV but don't talk on forums like us). Result: They had no idea what it is. On the other hand, they're interested in getting an iPad for around the house.

Apple are doing a great job appealing to the every man. The market is growing fast and Android will lap up lots of those consumers, as will Apple, as will other companies (note: talking about Android like it's a company is really silly).

In terms of appeal, I've always seen Apple as the Nintendo of the computing world.

lol many people i know think android is a phone brand.

Sister: hey i got a new phone
Me: android?
Sister: let me check ... no, its a samsung

xD

PBF
Jun 5, 2011, 05:11 PM
They did just that when they went from mac.com to me.com. It's possible. Not sure how likely it is though.
I'm not saying it's impossible. But going from, say, gallery.me.com to gallery.icloud.com is very unlikely.

Unless Apple have secretly purchased i.com domain name, I don't see this ever happening.

Hueyfreeman
Jun 5, 2011, 05:21 PM

Widgets was innovated to OSX 10.4 and later copied to windows/google. No one I know uses widgets on computers. Why is this so important on phones? Can't apps do the same as widgets?

Google has had an easy ride so far. They bought Android. Copied ideas from Apple including cloning the Iphone on Android prototypes. Android 3.x is Googles first own version of Android. So far they have not been able to make a stable release of 3.x.

In 1980ish: Steve confronted Bill about Microsoft copied Windows from mac prototypes.

The point being. Android does not have to be as good as Ios. Since majority of people who use Android never used or will use Ios, they don't care.
Same with PC. People believe that your computer should crash a couple of times per week, and that virus and malware has to exist. They don't understand that it is a Windows problem.

No *nix has had problem with viruses (it is technically impossible to make viruses on *nix since you need be given Root password by the individual user), and malware/scareware has been very limited. Until now: Google Android has had over 350000 infected phones. It took Google to make *nix insecure.

Users with Android have loads of problems that are unheard of in Ios. All the widgets and in elegant multitasking results in 3hour battery time. Solution: Download power management app, disable widgets and multitasking programs.
There are loads of malware in the Google app store. Solution: install firewall on you phone.

Tech geeks think its normal to have to install apps to make your phone work. I call it an un elegant solution.

Thats odd I get over a day use on my android phone. I even have on my Home screen a giant clock and weather widget, A search widget and a Pandora widget. All my home screens have widgets and i only have five app icons on my home screens all the other stuff I just get to from the app drawer. I don't have a power management app also. I do have task killer. But I rarely use it. Task killer just kills apps you may have left opened. I have also not ran into any viruses on my phone. Those are on the market. People who click them are just not smart enough to read the reviews that say "ITS A TRAP." Google also pulls those ones really fast. Android is different then iOS it is not better it is not worst but different. If one goes into Android expecting it to run like iOS they will be disappointed. If one goes into iOS expecting it to run like Android they will be disappointed. It is that simple they run very different. Stop trying to bash one or the other and be happy that you have a phone. There are billions who don't.

klrobinson999
Jun 5, 2011, 05:25 PM
...so do you think the price of the new time capsule will drop, increase, or stay the same?

$99

jprocha
Jun 5, 2011, 05:33 PM

People don't use email for personal communication as much in my group of friends. Hell, I don't even have anyone's email address. Text messaging is faster and more convenient. Why are you knocking a technology because you don't like it?? :confused:

Widgets and multitasking do not result in low battery life for phones. Who are you to say that widgets aren't useful for someone else?

Google developed Android.... it didn't purchase it. Someone else correct me if I'm wrong. And most people who use Android have and continue to use iOS via iPods and iPads.... Why do you think people are as closed off as you when it comes to diversifying brands? It is good to use many brands to form a better opinion of technology. Obviously you haven't used Windows in the last few years if you think that people assume crashing computers is a major part in their computer usage...

You make some really strange assumptions about millions of people here. Maybe you should step back and try to open your mind a little bit. I don't worship Apple for everything they do, I just recognize when they do a good job. In some instances it is more obvious than others but in some cases other companies are succeeding where Apple fails.

</end rant>

:apple:

Hastings101
Jun 5, 2011, 05:38 PM

It is good enough for everyone now though :), but what's the point of using an Operating System that there's no software for.

acslater017
Jun 5, 2011, 05:53 PM

I'm still holding out for SOME kind of new features. Something headline-y you know? There was so much splash with Tiger, Leopard, etc. So far, they haven't given much polish/excitement to Lion. Hopefully that will change with WWDC. I remember getting so excited just watching the demo videos for Leopard :P

But then again, if it hasn't shown up in the 3 developer previews so far...? :confused:

VenusianSky
Jun 5, 2011, 06:02 PM

Don't they still have the trial? I got the trial and cancelled when it was up. I still have my @me.com account and can even log into it. It's just when I log in, there aren't any services available. It goes to the find my iPhone page, with no devices registered. I have to logon with my Apple ID to access find my iPhone.

adztaylor
Jun 5, 2011, 06:09 PM
Google developed Android.... it didn't purchase it. Someone else correct me if I'm wrong.

Google did buy Android Inc in 2005. A company that was founded in 2003 but Google made it what it is today. However I do agree with the rest of your post +1.

ZipZapRap
Jun 5, 2011, 06:20 PM
iCloud is not too long.

You're right, it's not.

But what it is, is absolutely awful. What a fail name. Keep adding an i to the front of everything Apple. That horse is long dead, it won't feel it anymore.

The name SkyDrive runs circles around it.

acslater017
Jun 5, 2011, 06:25 PM
I don't see Apple ever going beyond 15% percent of OSs due to the fact that they do not offer a better variety of hardware. Mac computers are OK but for some people they need more. Plus price does not help.

PC marketshare is one of those slow-changing things. However, there's an enormous difference between say, 5% and 15%. An outsized growth in influence, especially if the brand is industry-leading and your customers are early adopters and highly enthusiastic/loyal.

newdeal
Jun 5, 2011, 06:27 PM
Once again, a metal cased router is going to block the wifi signals. Plastic is wifi signal friendly. Maybe silver-colored paint? Else, a metal-encased TC is probably going to need external antennas

The case will be the antenna and everyone will complain about the death touch

SnowLeopard2008
Jun 5, 2011, 06:29 PM
People don't use email for personal communication as much in my group of friends. Hell, I don't even have anyone's email address. Text messaging is faster and more convenient. Why are you knocking a technology because you don't like it?? :confused:

Widgets and multitasking do not result in low battery life for phones. Who are you to say that widgets aren't useful for someone else?

Google developed Android.... it didn't purchase it. Someone else correct me if I'm wrong. And most people who use Android have and continue to use iOS via iPods and iPads.... Why do you think people are as closed off as you when it comes to diversifying brands? It is good to use many brands to form a better opinion of technology. Obviously you haven't used Windows in the last few years if you think that people assume crashing computers is a major part in their computer usage...

You make some really strange assumptions about millions of people here. Maybe you should step back and try to open your mind a little bit. I don't worship Apple for everything they do, I just recognize when they do a good job. In some instances it is more obvious than others but in some cases other companies are succeeding where Apple fails.

</end rant>

:apple:

Google bought Android from a company as mentioned above by someone.

Multitasking does result in lower battery life. It's simple math, multiple apps running in background at same time means you consume more power. Just like more cylinders in cars consume more gasoline. Or more shower heads in your house consume more water overall. Idk about widgets because that's more complicated than multitasking in terms of power consumption. Some are just widgets to toggle settings like bluetooth, wifi, etc. Some consume data which requires more power. Apple's multitasking method is not true multitasking. It's very similar to the concept of computer RAM. And only certain services can be multitasked (audio for example) and no more than one app is running at a time.

Also, text messaging IS email. On the front end, it looks and feels different but in the back end, it's the email protocol. Every phone number is an email address (i.e. 123-456-7891@verizon.com). The only difference is that text messaging is email with many features disabled. You can't send certain files (word docs, powerpoint, etc.) through text but you can through email. And text only works through cellphones (albeit there are some websites or smartphone apps that send text messages) versus email working on a multitude of devices (laptop, desktop, etc.).

Email is still used widely for businesses. It's more featured and there are many client software for it. And generally, it's free like Gmail or Yahoo or Hotmail. Text messaging is essentially the same thing but it's more popular for social communication. I wouldn't use email when I ask my friends where they are or if they want to hang out. Not all of them have smartphones or email-enabled phones or even data plans. But every phone made in the last decade or so has text messaging abilities. It's the same technology but tailored to fit different situations.

Oz.
Jun 5, 2011, 06:32 PM
Any chance to see iPhone 4s/5 or whatever? :)

lgneon1234
Jun 5, 2011, 06:40 PM
I heard the promotion should start between june 6th-10th, do you guys think it would be announced tommorow? Thanks.

ibjoshua
Jun 5, 2011, 06:41 PM
Any chance to see iPhone 4s/5 or whatever? :)

No

Sensamic
Jun 5, 2011, 06:43 PM
Im waiting for tomorrow to decide if I continue with my iphone 4 or buy a new android device, maybe the Samsung Galaxy S II.

I love Apple products (I have ipad, iphone 4, mac mini, imac...) and I loooove the look of iOS, but its just ages away from android in terms of system options and other options. iOs is very limited, or thats what I feel.

Besides, I hate the 3.5 inch display. Too small when new android devices come with 4.3 inch displays! Please Apple, bring us widgets, emulators, themes, etc.

The most thing I hate about iOS is that there is no desktop. I mean, as soon as you unblock the device the icons come and theres no space for widgets, not even to see the wallpaper behind.

I hope iOS 5 has a LOT more new stuff than iOS4.

kevingaffney
Jun 5, 2011, 06:46 PM
Ios5 probably another damp squid like the ipad2

SirHaakon
Jun 5, 2011, 06:59 PM
This year, yes. WWDC, no.
Right, because you have exclusive insider information that nobody else does.

saxon48
Jun 5, 2011, 07:11 PM
Very excited for this. Really hoping there's going to be a live feed though...

shompa
Jun 5, 2011, 07:13 PM
Ipod does not run Ios.

I love competition. Android have lot's going for it against Ios. This should force Apple to innovate more.
But I can't respect a company that relies on buying it's software, copy features from other companies and allowing pirated software in its appstore.

It is strange that a huge company like Google don't have to follow the same rules as averge joe: youtube.com. 90% pirated stuff. Google search enginge: the biggest warez tracker in the net. 90% of downloaded Android apps are pirated.

This is a main selling point for Android. It is open. Run every app for free. Run emulators with SNES games/other pirated romz. Google does not care. They make their money from advertising.

If Google cared about its customers, they should fight piracy. Have some control over it's appstore so malware cant be uploaded there. This would also stop the piracy between different App developers.

Malware on Google app store: I should read the review of every single app to see if it is a malware? What stop people to report apps without malware? At least 350K Google phones have so far been infected.

Android was bought by Google. Version 3 is the first totally own Google version. Google still haven't released a stable 3.0 version.

Apple users are often accused of cultism. I have never seen anything like the fanatics of Android followers. They have done huge surveys about this. Most Android users would never buy anything Apple. Most Apple users would buy Android if they would offer something that is better.

SandynJosh
Jun 5, 2011, 07:13 PM
Those are some god awful-looking signage in the photos.

The original iCloud

ct2k7
Jun 5, 2011, 07:14 PM

There's going to be loads of live feeds if Apple don't do it.

GizmoDVD
Jun 5, 2011, 07:23 PM
Phew! I bought a 2TB Western Digital WiFi drive and have 6 more days to return it. Hope Apple announced a new (cheaper) Time Capsule tomorrow

jprocha
Jun 5, 2011, 07:25 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks for letting me know that.

shompa
Jun 5, 2011, 07:27 PM
Right, because you have exclusive insider information that nobody else does.

It is simple logic.
1) Before a hardware release we would get info on production streams like: displays, NAND, camera and so on. This information is "leaked" about 3 month before anything is released.
2) Contrary what tech geeks believe: The hardware specs on the phone is secondary. The important thing is the software/os.

Ios5 is more important then a dual core Iphone with 8 megapixel camera.

Ios5 has to be ready for release, before Iphone4s/5 is released. Apple does tends to test it's software before going live. Ios 2-3-4 had about 3 month of beta testing. This is the reason why Iphone4s/5 has to be released later.

Apple soon has to start educate people about specs vs real world performance. The 5 megapixel camera on Iphone4 is better then many 8+ megapixel cameras that other companies have. In the most reviews Iphone4 is still top 3 in picture quality.

Same with processor speed.
Tegra dual core is barely beating the single core A4 in real world tests.

About 30% of the A4/5 CPU is graphic acceleration. This is something that Apple can do, since they have control over the graphic layer in the phone.

That is the reason why the single core Iphone4 800 mhz still are in the top 3 tests speed wise. The 1.2 ghz dual core Texas instrument powered phones are between 5-15% faster.

5-15% is totally irrelevant in real world usage

jprocha
Jun 5, 2011, 07:34 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

You're right I'm thinking of apple's "multitasking."

I thought people said widgets disn't use much power?

I just see using a phone number as being easier than using an email address because it's one less thing you need to have from a person. Text messaging just seems more instantaneous.

Sensamic
Jun 5, 2011, 07:36 PM
Thats right.

The good thing about iOS is that its VERY STABLE. That was the main reason i bought the iphone 4. Previously I had a symbian phone which was just ****. Nothing worked, I couldnt even check my email... These things are SO EASY to do on iOS, which is its main attractive. Also all of the apps in appstore are stable, or at least 90% of them. Great apps.

But still, its just feels short of options. No themes, no widgets, no choosing icons, font type, keyboard type, etc. I would just like some of these things.

Also, iTunes is a HUGE advantage. Very easy to sync apps, music, videos, podcats, etc. But syncing photos is a PAIN in the ass. Theres no way just to sync different subfolders... I cannot sync subfolders from folder A and folder B, for example. That should be something very easy to do, but no way. I can only sync subfolder from folder A or folder B...

The look of iOS is just beautiful. Apple takes care of this aspect, but improvements are needed now, and BIG ONES.

Where is the innovation????????

I can feel widgets will be inside an icon called "dashboard" and not on a desktop page...

DocNYz
Jun 5, 2011, 07:36 PM
There already is one.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1163940

Now Macrumors. Highlight it on your Front page...

Thanks man, my bad for missing it.

jprocha
Jun 5, 2011, 07:37 PM

I'm going through the same thing. I have a 3G S and my contract is ending this month and I need to see how the new iOS is gonna be and if it's worth the wait for a new iPhone that may or may not come September. I'm really being tempted by the Samsung Galaxy S 2 right now because it looks amazing and is available now.

Supa_Fly
Jun 5, 2011, 07:41 PM
Also, text messaging IS email. On the front end, it looks and feels different but in the back end, it's the email protocol. Every phone number is an email address (i.e. 123-456-7891@verizon.com). The only difference is that text messaging is email with many features disabled. You can't send certain files (word docs, powerpoint, etc.) through text but you can through email. And text only works through cellphones (albeit there are some websites or smartphone apps that send text messages) versus email working on a multitude of devices (laptop, desktop, etc.).

Sorry buddy but you're pulling THAT out of your ASS!!

SMS runs on a VOICE channel protocol developed long long ago - probably from Nortel as Nortel, Nokia (not Nokia-Siemens as that was after), Ericsson LB.A/B, and another I cannot recall - built the SWITCH that controlled voice and SMS.

SMS Originating on the OLD switches allowed for sending SMS
SMS Terminating allowed for receiving SMS.

^ MOBITEX had a specific technology that allowed sending email on a partition of the switch yet isolated from standard voice channels - the same system that RIM perfected some 12-14yrs ago as well with those 857/957 devices.

I worked for a company with access to the switch 15yrs ago provisioning SMS on VOICE channels with TDMA, then to GSM/GPRS/EDGE … Rogers Wireless.

SMS existed for several years BEFORE Glenayre upgrades allowed the switch to SEND SMS to emails … the GGSN or another component handles that.

Let me make this clear to you … SMS is NOT EMAILS … its TEXT! It rides on the VOICE channel and does NOT use the same ports or protocols that EMAIL in ANY SHAPE OR FORM (pop/pop3/IMAP/MAPI etc) rides on. Just before the network backbone was upgraded to handled "yournumber@yourprovider.com" does /= (NOT equal) SMS being emails.

Please research intensely to ensure you understand this.

unlinked
Jun 5, 2011, 07:49 PM
Google bought Android from a company as mentioned above by someone.

Multitasking does result in lower battery life. It's simple math, multiple apps running in background at same time means you consume more power. Just like more cylinders in cars consume more gasoline. Or more shower heads in your house consume more water overall. Idk about widgets because that's more complicated than multitasking in terms of power consumption. Some are just widgets to toggle settings like bluetooth, wifi, etc. Some consume data which requires more power. Apple's multitasking method is not true multitasking. It's very similar to the concept of computer RAM. And only certain services can be multitasked (audio for example) and no more than one app is running at a time.

Email is still used widely for businesses. It's more featured and there are many client software for it. And generally, it's free like Gmail or Yahoo or Hotmail. Text messaging is essentially the same thing but it's more popular for social communication. I wouldn't use email when I ask my friends where they are or if they want to hang out. Not all of them have smartphones or email-enabled phones or even data plans. But every phone made in the last decade or so has text messaging abilities. It's the same technology but tailored to fit different situations.

Sms is no more email than twitter is. They all let you communicate but they are implemented completely differently. If sms was really just email then you could send people premium rate emails and I really hope no one can do that. People construct gateways to thrunk information between mediums but that does NOT make them the same thing.

Thex1138
Jun 5, 2011, 07:49 PM
The secret sauce for iCloud will be Time Capsule...

TC will be the home hub... for everything including media and apps updates.
:rolleyes:

Sensamic
Jun 5, 2011, 07:50 PM
The worst thing about android is that every manufacturer designs the UI different, and then its very hard to get updates in time.

With iOS you get every update in time and they are all stable.

But I need a bigger screen in the iphone. 3,5 is too small nowadays. 4 or 4.3 would be awesome in iphone 5, but this wont happen of course.

godfreyhk
Jun 5, 2011, 07:52 PM
Let's post some bingo boards! I'll start with mine :D
http://wwdc2011.theapplebingo.com/boards/104

unlinked
Jun 5, 2011, 07:53 PM
Ipod does not run Ios.

I love competition. Android have lot's going for it against Ios. This should force Apple to innovate more.
But I can't respect a company that relies on buying it's software, copy features from other companies and allowing pirated software in its appstore.

It is strange that a huge company like Google don't have to follow the same rules as averge joe: youtube.com. 90% pirated stuff. Google search enginge: the biggest warez tracker in the net. 90% of downloaded Android apps are pirated.

This is a main selling point for Android. It is open. Run every app for free. Run emulators with SNES games/other pirated romz. Google does not care. They make their money from advertising.

If Google cared about its customers, they should fight piracy. Have some control over it's appstore so malware cant be uploaded there. This would also stop the piracy between different App developers.

Malware on Google app store: I should read the review of every single app to see if it is a malware? What stop people to report apps without malware? At least 350K Google phones have so far been infected.

Android was bought by Google. Version 3 is the first totally own Google version. Google still haven't released a stable 3.0 version.

Apple users are often accused of cultism. I have never seen anything like the fanatics of Android followers. They have done huge surveys about this. Most Android users would never buy anything Apple. Most Apple users would buy Android if they would offer something that is better.

Most Android users I know have Macbooks. Apple is more than iOS (for a few more years anyway).

Sensamic
Jun 5, 2011, 07:59 PM
iOS needs a system manager, task manager and file browser!!!!!!

godfreyhk
Jun 5, 2011, 08:01 PM

Didn't steve said they "failed" if their multitask implementation requires a task manager? :D

42streetsdown
Jun 5, 2011, 08:02 PM
i wonder if they'll release a thunderbolt 30 pin dock connector soon

42streetsdown
Jun 5, 2011, 08:03 PM
Didn't steve said they "failed" if their multitask implementation requires a task manager? :D

it just needs a file browser and basic networking

jprocha
Jun 5, 2011, 08:04 PM

Yessss. File folders are a must. Better notifications and widgets would be great as well.

KnightWRX
Jun 5, 2011, 08:06 PM
Most Android users I know have Macbooks. Apple is more than iOS (for a few more years anyway).

Android's founder, Andy Rubin, uses a Mac. He often uses it during keynotes.

Azadre
Jun 5, 2011, 08:07 PM
[SIZE=1]
Yessss. File folders are a must. Better notifications and widgets would be great as well.

Overkill.

caspersoong
Jun 5, 2011, 08:16 PM
Wondering about the resolution of the keynote podcast and how fast it will be added.

jprocha
Jun 5, 2011, 08:18 PM

[SIZE=1]

Overkill.

Those three things are overkill?

*LTD*
Jun 5, 2011, 08:19 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

This will be huge. It's one of those watershed WWDCs.

Cougarcat
Let's post some bingo boards! I'll start with mine :D
http://wwdc2011.theapplebingo.com/boards/104

Wow, that was fun! Here's mine.

http://wwdc2011.theapplebingo.com/boards/195

Banking on the 4th column.

drummerdude1390

they have a task manager already. Double tap the home screen + Press and Hold App + hit the red close button. I mean you dont even need to, but incase you want to, you can....and thats all android task managers do...just close apps

Popeye206
Jun 5, 2011, 08:21 PM

Those three things are overkill?

I think some people forget that the same iOS is used for iPhone and iPad. Unlike Android where each device has it's own custom version... so, thinking of it this way, the iPhone does not really need file folders, but the iPad does. Without a file system, the iPad is limited.

So, point being, when they said "overkill" I think they were just thinking iPhone.

klrobinson999
Jun 5, 2011, 08:26 PM
I mentioned it in passing earlier but, for greatest implementation, the sweet spot price wise for a new Time Capsule is $99. They have surely seen that to be the case with Apple TV.

Will it even be called "Time Capsule" anymore? Will the device simply be called "iCloud"?

twoodcc
Jun 5, 2011, 08:27 PM
Can't wait! I sure hope Lion comes soon!

Cougarcat
Jun 5, 2011, 08:35 PM
Will it even be called "Time Capsule" anymore? Will the device simply be called "iCloud"?

"Thunderstorm," with a Thunderbolt port included, of course.

;)

chrono1081
Jun 5, 2011, 08:46 PM
"Thunderstorm," with a Thunderbolt port included, of course.

;)

I'm not going to lie, I'd probably buy it if it was called a thunderstorm :D

maclaptop
Jun 5, 2011, 08:56 PM
iCloud is not too long.

I agree, it's not too long.

Plus it's not filled narcissism like everything else the CEO does.

I have been using MobileMe, but never give it out as my email address. It reeks of poor taste & insecurity.

It is looking quite likely there will not be a new iPhone shown tomorrow, this is a huge mistake as I see it. I hope Apple enjoys the ride now, they're not going to be on top forever.

mac jones
Jun 5, 2011, 09:02 PM
Yes, yes.

Maybe we will get lucky and they will announce Thunderbolt accessories for next year.

It will give us time to save up, because from what i hear they will cost the moon. I'll start thinking about selling my car.

reactions
Jun 5, 2011, 09:03 PM
who cares about thunderbolt.

i mean do u care about usb accessories?! :p

i really hope they bring on the multi gestures across all the products.

anshuvorty
Jun 5, 2011, 09:05 PM

Engadget says that they will be providing one!!!

see here: http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/05/engadget-will-be-broadcasting-live-from-wwdc/

Sensamic
Jun 5, 2011, 09:07 PM
Apple will never add file system brower on iOS because that makes it easier for hackers to do jailbreak and other stuff, or thats my guess...

Also SAFARI needs more options!!!!!! Like adding Top Sites and other stuff. Im guessing this will happen.

anshuvorty
Jun 5, 2011, 09:10 PM
Apple will never add file system brower on iOS because that makes it easier for hackers to do jailbreak and other stuff, or thats my guess...

if you haven't realized, the iDevices have been jailbroken for some time now....

nunes013
Jun 5, 2011, 09:18 PM
looks like apple has their own WWDC wifi for the developers after last years little problem with the iphone 4 :D

http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/news/pre-conference.html

Ironduke
Jun 5, 2011, 09:20 PM
any new products tomorrow

kppolich
Jun 5, 2011, 09:22 PM
hopefully iPhone 5 world phone is tucked away in there somewhere as a surprise with NFC. Also- hopefully iOS 5 has some way to change the text tone notification without requiring a jailbreak. PLEASE!

green94
Jun 5, 2011, 09:24 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

This will be huge. It's one of those watershed WWDCs.

Agreed, can't wait.

MattInOz
Jun 5, 2011, 09:28 PM
WWDC Predictions:

I still think iCloud is a platform in it's own right not a MobileMe rebranded.

I think iCloud is the platform that MobileMe runs on but with a revenue stream that can afford the hosting required to keep it running smooth and expanding.I think they'll be opening up to any developer willing to buy a Mac and a Developer account. The platform which is largely just HTML5 but with Sproutcore that gives native like functionality to the web apps running on any number of devices. Apple will provide a user storage for the apps user data.

This will mean they can move any app that is basically a web app wrapped in a native shell out of the other apps store, but still keep those developers on mac's as they'll build once for the iCloud store and it'll work on any Apple device or any HTML5 device (Android,WebOS,Windows,RIM Playbook). Only truely native apps will be in the app Store and under go the level of review as they'll have the level of access that requires review. (Still no porn).

Apple can make themselves the development platform of choice and use that to sell mac's. Apple can take their current commerce platform and spread it wider offering it up for 3rd party developers to use (Hence why Lodsys are being dicks to 3rd party developers to make sure they get their cut of the new system).

The user data store will add core data like support to the sproutcore apps at the same time Apple will change iOS and Lion CoreData to also work with the same store house of user data and keep all cached copies in sync with each other. Time Capsule will be one of your devices in a cluster but it's main job will be to be a local always on cache of your data and media.

LoganT
Jun 5, 2011, 09:28 PM

see here: http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/05/engadget-will-be-broadcasting-live-from-wwdc/

They're just doing a livestream before and after the show. People want a stream during the show.

Ironduke
Jun 5, 2011, 09:30 PM
So Apple are going to turn the Time Capsule into a proper NAS drive?

Yes Folkes they aint new they have been around for years

senohpoxas88
Jun 5, 2011, 09:31 PM
Zwiffer (http://www.zwiffer.com) is attending WWDC 2011 and camping out to be in the front row watching the keynote LIVE. We will be tweeting via our company Twitter @ZwifferApps (http://www.twitter.com/ZwifferApps). The Keynote is starting at 10am PST. (Noon CST).

Blog Post: http://www.zwiffer.com/2011/06/zwiffer-wwdc-2011/

Follow @ZwifferApps (http://www.twitter.com/ZwifferApps) for the latest info!

Cougarcat
Jun 5, 2011, 09:32 PM

There have always been live feeds, I think he meant video stream.

Michael Scrip
Jun 5, 2011, 09:37 PM
they have a task manager already. Double tap the home screen + Press and Hold App + hit the red close button. I mean you dont even need to, but incase you want to, you can....and thats all android task managers do...just close apps

I don't have an iPhone 4 yet... but I played with one at the Verizon store yesterday.

I double-tapped the Home button... and was greeted by literally every single app that the phone has in the multitasking tray. 50+ apps.

If every app you ever open is sitting in the tray... why have the tray?

Mattsasa
Jun 5, 2011, 09:40 PM
I don't have an iPhone 4 yet... but I played with one at the Verizon store yesterday.

I double-tapped the Home button... and was greeted by literally every single app that the phone has in the multitasking tray. 50+ apps.

it places the apps in order of the ones you have used most recently, So you see the 4 apps you've used most recently, then as you swipe to the right, you travel back in times and see apps in order you used them,

Cougarcat
Jun 5, 2011, 09:41 PM

The tray auto-updates with the most recently used apps moved to the left. You rarely swipe a few times to the right. It's best to think of it as a recently used apps bar. Edit: beaten to it.

Michael Scrip
Jun 5, 2011, 09:52 PM
it places the apps in order of the ones you have used most recently, So you see the 4 apps you've used most recently, then as you swipe to the right, you travel back in times and see apps in order you used them,

But if you don't actively close them... will that tray pile up over time?

I know you don't have to close apps.... but I'm a freak about that kinda stuff. :)

Cougarcat
Jun 5, 2011, 09:54 PM
But if you don't actively close them... will that tray pile up over time?

I know you don't have to close apps.... but I'm a freak about that kinda stuff. :)

Yes, it does, but it's not necessary to worry about it, since what you want is always on the left anyway.

screensaver400
Jun 5, 2011, 09:56 PM

Sorry buddy but you're pulling THAT out of your ASS!!

SMS runs on a VOICE channel protocol developed long long ago - probably from Nortel as Nortel, Nokia (not Nokia-Siemens as that was after), Ericsson LB.A/B, and another I cannot recall - built the SWITCH that controlled voice and SMS.

SMS Originating on the OLD switches allowed for sending SMS
SMS Terminating allowed for receiving SMS.

^ MOBITEX had a specific technology that allowed sending email on a partition of the switch yet isolated from standard voice channels - the same system that RIM perfected some 12-14yrs ago as well with those 857/957 devices.

I worked for a company with access to the switch 15yrs ago provisioning SMS on VOICE channels with TDMA, then to GSM/GPRS/EDGE … Rogers Wireless.

SMS existed for several years BEFORE Glenayre upgrades allowed the switch to SEND SMS to emails … the GGSN or another component handles that.

Let me make this clear to you … SMS is NOT EMAILS … its TEXT! It rides on the VOICE channel and does NOT use the same ports or protocols that EMAIL in ANY SHAPE OR FORM (pop/pop3/IMAP/MAPI etc) rides on. Just before the network backbone was upgraded to handled "yournumber@yourprovider.com" does /= (NOT equal) SMS being emails.

Please research intensely to ensure you understand this.

As I recall, SMS is it's own thing, but MMS is basically email, using the data network and everything.

justinfreid
Jun 5, 2011, 09:58 PM
I still think iCloud is a platform in it's own right not a MobileMe rebranded.

I think iCloud is the platform that MobileMe runs on but with a revenue stream that can afford the hosting required to keep it running smooth and expanding.I think they'll be opening up to any developer willing to buy a Mac and a Developer account. The platform which is largely just HTML5 but with Sproutcore that gives native like functionality to the web apps running on any number of devices. Apple will provide a user storage for the apps user data.

I agree with your reasoning - couple it with the nature of the banner, that is iCloud being roughly equivalent with iOS and OS X, I think it's bigger than MobileMe revamped.

Michael Scrip
Jun 5, 2011, 09:58 PM
Yes, it does, but it's not necessary to worry about it, since what you want is always on the left anyway.

Sweet!

Thanks Cougarcat!

phpmaven
Jun 5, 2011, 10:09 PM
who cares about thunderbolt.

i mean do u care about usb accessories?! :p

i really hope they bring on the multi gestures across all the products.

If USB could transfer data at the speed of Thunderbolt, I'de be very interested.

Cougarcat
Jun 5, 2011, 10:10 PM
hopefully iPhone 5 world phone is tucked away in there somewhere as a surprise with NFC. Also- hopefully iOS 5 has some way to change the text tone notification without requiring a jailbreak. PLEASE!

1. No
2. That would be nice. Add to that: 1) add any song as a ringtone without going through crap on your computer 2) (more important) Let me use any song as an alarm sound. Seriously, why can't I do this yet??

Mattsasa
Jun 5, 2011, 10:28 PM

1. No
2. That would be nice. Add to that: 1) add any song as a ringtone without going through crap on your computer 2) (more important) Let me use any song as an alarm sound. Seriously, why can't I do this yet??

Whats wrong with jailbreaking??

maclaptop
Jun 5, 2011, 10:30 PM

And that's just the beginning. It's very irritating closing them one by one. One wonders what's next in the iToy box...

Looks like Apples set up another scenario sure to demand more money as the faithful all storm the stores for new time capsules. I give Apple credit for running another game on their customers. It never ends. I've never seen adults grow weak at the knees over anything like this.

Even today, a mere mention of iCloud without any specifics at all, and the first fanboy response is "can't wait!" Open and eagerly awaiting the demand for his / her money.

What a brilliant money sucking strategy Apple has created.

Cougarcat
Jun 5, 2011, 10:32 PM
Whats wrong with jailbreaking??

Nothing, but these are basic features that shouldn't require it.

Mattsasa
Jun 5, 2011, 10:34 PM
And that's just the beginning. It's very irritating closing them one by one. One wonders what's next in the iToy box...

Looks like Apples set up another scenario sure to demand more money as the faithful all storm the stores for new time capsules. I give Apple credit for running another game on their customers. It never ends. I've never seen adults grow weak at the knees over anything like this.

Even today, a mere mention of iCloud without any specifics at all, and the first fanboy response is "can't wait!" Open and eagerly awaiting the demand for his / her money.

What a brilliant money sucking strategy Apple has created.

why close them?? All it is... is simply a shortcut to recent applications, no reason to close them, unless if a certain app is having a problem,

Cougarcat
Jun 5, 2011, 10:38 PM

You really aren't supposed to close them. They use no system resources; their state is just saved. They are for all intents and purposes, closed. The app switcher bar is really a list of recently used apps, nothing more. Edit: Beaten to it.

Never? You haven't been on MacRumors very long, I see. ;)

PBF
Jun 5, 2011, 10:48 PM
Hopefully iOS 5 will let you turn off the Spotlight, which I never use. It'd be nice to have a Dashboard in its place.

topmounter
Jun 5, 2011, 10:49 PM
Tomorrow is going to be SO takei!!!

admanimal
Jun 5, 2011, 10:51 PM
Zwiffer (http://www.zwiffer.com) is attending WWDC 2011 and camping out to be in the front row watching the keynote LIVE. We will be tweeting via our company Twitter @ZwifferApps (http://www.twitter.com/ZwifferApps). The Keynote is starting at 10am PST. (Noon CST).

Blog Post: http://www.zwiffer.com/2011/06/zwiffer-wwdc-2011/

Follow @ZwifferApps (http://www.twitter.com/ZwifferApps) for the latest info!

He can line up as early as he wants, but he's not going to be in the front row. At least the first 5 or 6 rows are occupied by VIPs, the media, and other Apple employees.

silentnite
Jun 5, 2011, 10:53 PM
I know my biggest concern at this point is price. I'm liking what I hear as far as the products just concerned about pricing. Hoping Lion retails for $49.00 or less