Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
rumors have it lion will be released in june 14 according to 9to5mac. what do u guys think? possible or not? we'll find out tommorow i guess!!!

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
I go on holiday for 2 weeks on that day. Save me a copy.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
I think they can pull it off, they better be ready to do some serious work in the next week.

Stuipdboy1000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
So they have just over a week to mass produce hundreds of thousands of discs with the software on it (that is if it's coming out on disc)? That'll be a mammoth task.

I can see them launching it on June 14th on the Mac App Store and maybe a week or so later in their retail stores for people without internet/very poor connections.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
So they have just over a week to mass produce hundreds of thousands of discs with the software on it (that is if it's coming out on disc)? That'll be a mammoth task.

I can see them launching it on June 14th on the Mac App Store and maybe a week or so later in their retail stores for people without internet/very poor connections.
The reason a Gold Master is usually done a month before software release is to allow time for Apple to get sample discs back to test and then time to distribute the stuff to vendors. There are enough DVD replication companies that the time to actually replicate the DVDs is not an issue.

I doubt June 14th for various reasons. I'm thinking August as a most likely release date. Of course we don't know what Apple has been able to do quietly this time. Usually there is more information when something is imminent form Apple. A lot of the stuff on the web sites seems to be pure speculation.

TomRadfahrer

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2011

Maybe there is no disk? Maybe no boxes, no shipment, just a download from a big server farm. I remember some rumors that Apple has invested into a server farm.

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM

I think this may be a really good possibility. That would really allow them to push the Mac App store.

mox358

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2002
Indiana
Perhaps two release dates?

Maybe the June 14 release date is for Mac App store only... with a second release date say a month later for physical distribution.

That would help push Mac App store sales, allow them to release sooner on their preferred platform, and would give them better sales forecasts as to how many discs to actually produce, because they would have some statistics as to how many owners they already had.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
So no new groundbreaking features then, huh.
That will be answered tomorrow. So wait and find out.

Maybe the June 14 release date is for Mac App store only... with a second release date say a month later for physical distribution.

That would help push Mac App store sales, allow them to release sooner on their preferred platform, and would give them better sales forecasts as to how many discs to actually produce, because they would have some statistics as to how many owners they already had.
Well, unless the cost difference is too much, I wouldn't mind waiting for the physical copy in a scenario like you suggested. It'll give me time to find out which stuff that I run, will run under Lion without issues. However, I don't think this is a likely scenario nor a likely date.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
well, the thing is that 9to5mac says on their article that there is a apple store visual change is scheduled for june 14 so i dont think they would do that for MacStore release of Lion, i guess we'll see tomorrow.

here i quote from their article:

Apple is said to be planning one of their product launch-indicative “visual updates” for the morning of Tuesday, June 14th. Sources tell 9to5Mac that this particular overnight will feature a new store-front window in addition to other signage-related changes within the retail store.

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
I'd say there's about a 30% likelihood of Lion being released sometime next week. The latest developer preview has a few major kinks in it that need to be resolved, like horrible performance in Safari. It's possible that Apple's internal builds are somewhat more stable with more finishing touches included, but if that's the case, I'll be surprised.

I'm betting that the WWDC will focus heavily on iOS 5 and iCloud, with Lion being mentioned as a status update with possible mention of a projected release date a couple months down the road. Steve will most likely review many of the new features that have come into the latest builds since it was demoed at the Back to Mac event, with some mention as to how it ties into iCloud, but it won't necessarily be the main attraction.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Apple says "this summer". That would mean no sooner than June 21. More likely in September!

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
its literally summer now..

It's literally not. Summer starts on June 20, technically, and June 21st (as the previous poster mentioned) is the first full day of summer. It may feel like summer where you are, but it is not by any official definition. That doesn't mean Apple is bound by their previous statements, but they haven't shown a tendency to release products early.

jW

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
well, the thing is that 9to5mac says on their article that there is a apple store visual change is scheduled for june 14 so i dont think they would do that for MacStore release of Lion,

What? Of course they would. They aren't going to not advertise Lion in their stores just because it's MAS-only. They will probably let you download it in the store, too, if your internet sucks.

hopejr

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2005
New South Wales, Australia
It's literally not. Summer starts on June 20, technically, and June 21st (as the previous poster mentioned) is the first full day of summer. It may feel like summer where you are, but it is not by any official definition. That doesn't mean Apple is bound by their previous statements, but they haven't shown a tendency to release products early.

jW

Well, it's already officially winter in parts of the southern hemisphere, since June 1 (Australia, NZ, etc). It depends on where you are as to when the seasons change, especially when some places only have two seasons (wet/dry, dark/light). So, where lamonsas is, it may be considered summer. :p

That all said, Apple's reckoning of season changes is American/European, so that means June 21 as you said. So that means, a summer release of Lion is not next week.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
That all said, Apple's reckoning of season changes is American/European, so that means June 21 as you said. So that means, a summer release of Lion is not next week.

Not necessarily. Snow Leopard was released a bit early.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I know a good reason of why not June 14th. How many Mac OS X updates were released on a day other than Friday?

well, the thing is that 9to5mac says on their article that there is a apple store visual change is scheduled for june 14 so i dont think they would do that for MacStore release of Lion, i guess we'll see tomorrow.

here i quote from their article:

Apple is said to be planning one of their product launch-indicative “visual updates” for the morning of Tuesday, June 14th. Sources tell 9to5Mac that this particular overnight will feature a new store-front window in addition to other signage-related changes within the retail store.
There are supposed hardware updates coming for some Macs. Maybe June 14th is the day we'll see a hardware update?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.