PDA

View Full Version : WWDC iOS5 for developers

ljg93
Jun 5, 2011, 01:51 PM
hey everyone I was wondering since iOS5 gets announced tomorrow, will developers get the new software update earlier then everyone else?

robbieduncan
Jun 5, 2011, 04:00 PM
Paid-up developers will, most likely, get beta test versions as normal. And again, as normal, you are not recommended to run these betas on your only phone as they can have serious issues.

RodThePlod
Jun 6, 2011, 04:22 AM
And again, as normal, you are not recommended to run these betas on your only phone as they can have serious issues.

Yup - I've heard too many stories of people rushing to put early betas on their business phones and then complaining when things go screwy.

If we get access to 5 this week, I'll be putting it on my iPad for sure but will not be putting it on my iPhone any time soon...

RTP.

ljg93
Jun 6, 2011, 08:48 AM
cool thanks for your guys replies, lets say if i do put it on my phone and things go screwy, can i just reset my phone in itunes and be fine again? also where would we get access to it? this is my first year of being a paid developer!

thanks!

robbieduncan
Jun 6, 2011, 09:32 AM
Apple do not generally provide any support for downgrading to the previous OS.

sth
Jun 6, 2011, 10:26 AM
cool thanks for your guys replies, lets say if i do put it on my phone and things go screwy, can i just reset my phone in itunes and be fine again?
Reflashing to older versions may or may not work. If if doesn't, you'll have to live with the beta version until the final release is out.

Better don't do this on your only phone.

I suggest getting an iPod touch as a development device if you want to keep up with beta versions.

also where would we get access to it? this is my first year of being a paid developer!
http://developer.apple.com/

BMWNEW
Jun 6, 2011, 02:19 PM
Oh, I didn't mean that "help"...
I am a developer. Could anybody tell me how to install iOS 5 on my iPhone?!

robbieduncan
Jun 6, 2011, 02:22 PM
Oh, I didn't mean that "help"...
I am a developer. Could anybody tell me how to install iOS 5 on my iPhone?!

If you are a paid-up developer (free developer accounts do not get betas) then once the iOS dev centre is back up log in and follow the instructions Apple post.

BMWNEW
Jun 6, 2011, 02:24 PM
Of course paid :)
Just follow the instructions...
I thought it is not easy...
And do I need to download any huge files? I have got an xCode 4 already installed.

robbieduncan
Jun 6, 2011, 02:25 PM
You will have to download the new firmware and probably a new version of XCode with the SDK to support the new firmware.

Branskins
Jun 6, 2011, 03:05 PM
I might bite the bullet and install it on my iPhone and iPad. I don't really run a business so I don't know how important my iPhone really is during the summer when I am not in school.

DDustiNN
Jun 6, 2011, 03:17 PM
Hi, I am also a new iOS Developer (paid a couple months ago). I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 running 4.2.6 (Verizon), and an iPad 1 on 4.3... what would be the process for updating them? Do I have to unjailbreak the phone first? Or will updating to iOS 5 automatically get rid of the jailbreak for me?

For the iPad I assume it will be simple, since I did not jailbreak it.

Also, will I have to install iOS 5 through Xcode, or will it be done via iTunes or another method?

Thanks in advance for your replies :D

robbieduncan
Jun 6, 2011, 03:18 PM
Also, will I have to install iOS 5 through Xcode, or will it be done via iTunes or another method?

Thanks in advance for your replies :D

Wait for the developer centre to come back up. We won't know until then.

ljg93
Jun 6, 2011, 04:07 PM
what did apple mean when they said a developer seed will be available today?

robbieduncan
Jun 6, 2011, 04:10 PM
what did apple mean when they said a developer seed will be available today?

They meant that at some point today (today being in their timezone so California) the dev centre will come back up and the beta firmware etc will be posted to download.

ljg93
Jun 6, 2011, 04:18 PM
alright cool thanks for all your help you have helped out a lot!

robbieduncan
Jun 6, 2011, 04:19 PM
alright cool thanks for all your help you have helped out a lot!

If you are in a European timezone (like me) it's almost certainly not worth waiting for it to come up today: the site will be overloaded for a while and downloads will be dog slow anyway!

Phil A.
Jun 6, 2011, 04:22 PM
I've always installed the Betas of iOS on my devices from the get-go and never had any major problems: Some apps don't work very well but the core functionality has always been pretty solid.
Having said that, I will try it on an old 3rd gen iPod touch I've got lying around first though before putting it on my phone...

ljg93
Jun 6, 2011, 04:23 PM
In in the east coast time zone.. so you still think it will be bad?

chrono1081
Jun 6, 2011, 04:23 PM
Dev page is back up but I don't see iOS5. Anyone know where its at?

EDIT: I'm a paid iOS developer. There is a link for it, but no actual download.

robbieduncan
Jun 6, 2011, 04:24 PM
I've always installed the Betas of iOS on my devices from the get-go and never had any major problems: Some apps don't work very well but the core functionality has always been pretty solid.
Having said that, I will try it on an old 3rd gen iPod touch I've got lying around first though before putting it on my phone...

There was a huge bug in one of the iOS 3 betas in the Messages app. If you received a text message from a short number (say 5 digits) and didn't have a name for it in your contacts the Messages crashed on startup ever time from that point on. Pretty annoying when O2, the only iPhone provider in the UK at that time, sent out frequent messages from 5 digit numbers!

robbieduncan
Jun 6, 2011, 04:25 PM
Dev page is back up but I don't see iOS5. Anyone know where its at?

Will only be visible if you are logged in and paid up. I get the non-logged in page up now but as soon as I try and log in I get the "we'll be back soon" again.

chrono1081
Jun 6, 2011, 04:26 PM
Will only be visible if you are logged in and paid up. I get the non-logged in page up now but as soon as I try and log in I get the "we'll be back soon" again.

I'm actually logged in and paid up. My name is there and everything. (Even the "Your iOS membership will expire in 18 days" warning but no download : /

Nevermind its there. I hit refresh and it all appeared.

ANNNND its back down.

EDIT: Ok its back up. iTunes beta and iOS5 beta and soon I will know if the game I'm working on will need tweaked.

Phil A.
Jun 6, 2011, 04:28 PM
There was a huge bug in one of the iOS 3 betas in the Messages app. If you received a text message from a short number (say 5 digits) and didn't have a name for it in your contacts the Messages crashed on startup ever time from that point on. Pretty annoying when O2, the only iPhone provider in the UK at that time, sent out frequent messages from 5 digit numbers!

I must have been lucky enough to have missed that one!
Could you get round it by adding a contact in for the number?

robbieduncan
Jun 6, 2011, 04:30 PM
I must have been lucky enough to have missed that one!
Could you get round it by adding a contact in for the number?

If you knew what the number that was causing the problem. I eventually got round it by browsing a backup to find the number.

chrono1081
Jun 6, 2011, 04:31 PM
Crap. Maybe I won't be testing my game. Apparently you can't downgrade once iOS5 is on your phone. Its my only phone : /

Alex Hobbs
Jun 6, 2011, 04:34 PM
730MB, ouch! It's up but the tab is still called iOS 4.3

Branskins
Jun 6, 2011, 04:42 PM
Anyone installing it on their main device? :D

ljg93
Jun 6, 2011, 04:42 PM
In in the east coast time zone.. so you still think it will be bad?
will the whole 5.0 be available with like the new notifications any everything? or just like bits and pieces?

robbieduncan
Jun 6, 2011, 04:44 PM

Yes. I'm installing it on my only phone right now.

will the whole 5.0 be available with like the new notifications any everything? or just like bits and pieces?

No idea. There may be parts of 5.0 that have not been shown yet so we wouldn't actually know if they're missing. Install it and see.

chrono1081
Jun 6, 2011, 04:44 PM

I really need to to test an app I'm working on, but...Im not sure. Looking through the known issues list nothing crucial seems to be a problem.

DDustiNN
Jun 6, 2011, 04:48 PM
How do you access it? I am logged in, and I am a paid developer (I bought the standard $99 package a couple months ago, and I have uploaded an app to the store), but I get this message:

You must be enrolled in the iOS Developer Standard or Enterprise Program to access the development resources for iOS SDK beta.

when I click on the "iOS SDK Beta" tab (which is also greyed out).

There is also an announcement for and updated license agreement, but when I click it I just get the post-it note saying we'll be right back...

robbieduncan
Jun 6, 2011, 04:50 PM
There is also an announcement for and updated license agreement, but when I click it I just get the post-it note saying we'll be right back...

The servers seem overloaded. You have to accept the new agreement before the 5.0 beta downloads are available. Either just keep going round and rount until it works or wait for a while.

DDustiNN
Jun 6, 2011, 04:51 PM
The servers seem overloaded. You have to accept the new agreement before the 5.0 beta downloads are available. Either just keep going round and rount until it works or wait for a while.

Oh okay, thanks. Just making sure I'm actually looking in the right spot. I'll just check back later :cool:

chrono1081
Jun 6, 2011, 04:53 PM
I can't get into the dev forums to ask this since I keep getting the postit note but has anyone installed and successfully reverted back to iOS4?

I know it may be a bit early to tell but the glaring warning on the dev site said that once your upgraded you can't go back, I just wondered if anyone tried it with success.

I wish I had two iPhones : /

robbieduncan
Jun 6, 2011, 04:57 PM
Just a heads up: if you do install it and want to restore a phone backup to the new OS make sure you download the iTunes beta too otherwise you won't be able to...

chrono1081
Jun 6, 2011, 04:58 PM
Just a heads up: if you do install it and want to restore a phone backup to the new OS make sure you download the iTunes beta too otherwise you won't be able to...

Thanks. I grabbed the iTunes Beta too, I just haven't installed it yet. I'm going to wait to see what the consensus of devs say before I make my move.

I have a third party tool I use for development of one of the apps I'm working on, but the other app is straight code so I'm stuck in the middle at the moment :/

Branskins
Jun 6, 2011, 04:59 PM
Do we know if app data is synced to the cloud?

DDustiNN
Jun 6, 2011, 05:06 PM
A few questions, for you who have already installed:

Do I have to unjailbreak first? I'm on 4.2.6 jailbroken.
If I don't unjailbreak, and just install iOS 5 overtop of my current setup, will all of my standard apps remain, but only the jailbreak stuff will disappear?
Do I have to install it using Xcode, or iTunes? My main PC is Windows 7, which is where my main iTunes stuff is. I have a Mac virtual machine which is where I do my development, so I only connect my iPhone there to test my app, nothing else.
Is a backup/restore required for the update? If so, I assume I can use iTunes on my Windows 7 PC? And will this keep all of my apps and data?
I know that's a bit much to ask, but I'm still new to this and I've never downloaded a beta version of iOS.

ljg93
Jun 6, 2011, 05:09 PM
whats the difference between GSM and CDMA (the avaiable downloads for the iPhone)?

DDustiNN
Jun 6, 2011, 05:10 PM
whats the difference between GSM and CDMA (the avaiable downloads for the iPhone)?

GSM = AT&T
CDMA = Verizon

Or their international equivalents, which I'm not familiar with.

c3m
Jun 6, 2011, 05:11 PM

For the US.
GSM = AT&T
CDMA = Verizon

For the rest of the world:
iPhone is only available for GSM network

ljg93
Jun 6, 2011, 05:13 PM
Am I the only one who is going to be putting it on their main device? theres no way I can wait untill Fall..

Phil A.
Jun 6, 2011, 05:15 PM
A few questions, for you who have already installed:

Do I have to unjailbreak first? I'm on 4.2.6 jailbroken.
If I don't unjailbreak, and just install iOS 5 overtop of my current setup, will all of my standard apps remain, but only the jailbreak stuff will disappear?
Do I have to install it using Xcode, or iTunes? My main PC is Windows 7, which is where my main iTunes stuff is. I have a Mac virtual machine which is where I do my development, so I only connect my iPhone there to test my app, nothing else.
Is a backup/restore required for the update? If so, I assume I can use iTunes on my Windows 7 PC? And will this keep all of my apps and data?
I know that's a bit much to ask, but I'm still new to this and I've never downloaded a beta version of iOS.

I would say it's safest to unjailbreak first, but I couldn't say for certain as I don't jailbreak
You have to install it using iTunes 10.5 beta which is OS X only and available in the dev centre
I would always recommend backup/restore before updating anything

chrono1081
Jun 6, 2011, 05:21 PM
Am I the only one who is going to be putting it on their main device? theres no way I can wait untill Fall..

I'm REALLY on the fence. I want to to test my game but I could be royally screwed if I need to revert to 4 and can't :/

ljg93
Jun 6, 2011, 05:29 PM
I downloaded the beta ios5 from my web browser... what do i do know?

Aduntu
Jun 6, 2011, 05:32 PM
I'm REALLY on the fence. I want to to test my game but I could be royally screwed if I need to revert to 4 and can't :/

Exact same situation here. I'm torn.

sth
Jun 6, 2011, 07:02 PM
If you just want to try if it works at all: Use the simulator.

chrono1081
Jun 6, 2011, 09:25 PM
If you just want to try if it works at all: Use the simulator.

It uses the accellerometer : /

syclonefx
Jun 6, 2011, 09:34 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure about installing on my phone yet, so I am buying an iPod Touch tomorrow to test it out. If it works OK on it for a few then I'll install it on my phone.

sth
Jun 7, 2011, 01:36 AM
It uses the accellerometer : /
Then all you can do is either wait for the GM seed or get an iPod Touch as a test device...

jsnuff1
Jun 7, 2011, 01:44 AM
I want to install iOS 5 as well, but want to be able to revert back to 4 in case something goes wrong.

My current device is jailbroken and have SHSH blobs saved. Shouldnt I be able to revert back to iOS 4 using this downgrade proccess? Or does this downgrade not work with beta releases?