Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattycurtis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
I have fitted a ram upgrade for my flat panel imac. The computer doesn't realise its there, It thinks the slot is still empty! How can I activate the extra memory?! :confused:

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Make sure it is pushed in all the way until the latches lock it in.

You probably do not have it in all the way. Don't be afraid to give some force pushing it in.

Let us know what happens.

mattycurtis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
Have definately pushed it in. Slotted it once, no joy. Then me and a friend went over it again the next day, I know what you mean though! But no, I wasn't timid when pushing it in.

mattycurtis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
uh oh

1ghz power pc g4, 256mb

ram: 256mb pc2100 so - DIMM DDR266

please don't tell me I got the wrong stuff!!!!!

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
mattycurtis said:
1ghz power pc g4, 256mb

ram: 256mb pc2100 so - DIMM DDR266

please don't tell me I got the wrong stuff!!!!!
There are 2 different iMac G4 models. One takes PC2100 and the other takes PC2700. If you look at the System Profiler, it will tell you the speed of the memory that is already there. And that is the speed you need to buy.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Cut corners, choose your own RAM... tears before bedtime.

Always buy from a reputable dealer that actually specifies the RAM for your model of Mac (particularly if you are are unsure what you are doing) -- that puts the responsibility on them to get it right and if it doesn't work you've got that to fall back on.

mattycurtis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
result

Mine is 15 inch not a 17 inch!! :mad:

It's my mistake, but I think that mac should be clearer about this when buying from their website.

I don't suppose that they will have much sympathy for my error; thats £80 down the pan!! :mad:

Any suggestions??? :eek:

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
mattycurtis said:
Mine is 15 inch not a 17 inch!! :mad:

It's my mistake, but I think that mac should be clearer about this when buying from their website.

I don't suppose that they will have much sympathy for my error; thats £80 down the pan!! :mad:

Any suggestions??? :eek:

Two words: Caveat Emptor

Just exactly where did you get it from? You may be able to exchange it if you're lucky.

I thoroughly recommend http://www.crucial.com/uk for UK RAM, we just don't have the choice of suppliers that consumers do in the U.S.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
mattycurtis said:

You are right, Apple could be more clear in that they do not list every possible combination of speed and screen but bundle together a group of machines under one link.

To get to the link you bought from you had to have chosen the "15" & 17" 800 MHz" or the "17" 1 GHz" link, neither of which are accurate for your machine. The link "iMac (flat panel) 15", 17" & 20" (USB2.0 & DDR333)" was the correct one for your machine.

I don't suppose that they will have much sympathy for my error; thats £80 down the pan!!

Any suggestions???

Have you called and asked about an exchange yet?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.