PDA

View Full Version : Last Minute Thoughts on iCloud, iOS 5 as Keynote Line Begins

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jun 6, 2011, 01:22 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/06/last-minute-thoughts-on-icloud-ios-5-as-keynote-line-begins/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/ac-500x354.jpg

(http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/ac.jpg)A likely mockup of iOS 5 posted by TechCrunch
On the night before the 2011 WWDC Keynote, things have been relatively quiet. Those attending WWDC are naturally excited by the prospect of Apple's announcements and everyone is speculating about what Apple could announce. The first person got in line for the WWDC keynote at 1pm Sunday, while everyone else seems to be debating exactly how early to get in line. At present there seem to be about 30 people (http://twitter.com/#!/ravenme/status/77616853534507008) in line (photo (http://yfrog.com/edlr6rj)) as of 11pm Pacific.

The image above is what we believe to simply be a mockup of what iOS 5's notifications may look like. It was posted (http://techcrunch.com/2011/06/05/ios-5-real-or-fake/) by TechCrunch who later said that they've heard it's the "right idea".

DaringFireball's John Gruber has posted his thoughts (http://daringfireball.net/2011/06/wwdc_2011_prelude) about Monday's event but seems to know very little for certain. The most tantalizing quote he offers, but also one that he describes as fourth hand information is as follows:Don’t think of iCloud as the new MobileMe; think of iCloud as the new iTunes.Gruber describes the possibility where instead of taking an iOS device and syncing it to your computer, all the data is synced to iCloud. This would finally relinquish the need for a PC/Mac sync for new iOS devices. He goes on with other wishes for iOS but admits its not based on any inside knowledge.

Interestingly, we've heard that a few Apple employees have been genuinely excited about tomorrow's announcements. The keynote kicks off at 10am Pacific / 1pm Eastern on Monday and we'll provide live coverage here.

Article Link: Last Minute Thoughts on iCloud, iOS 5 as Keynote Line Begins (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/06/last-minute-thoughts-on-icloud-ios-5-as-keynote-line-begins/)

osx11
Jun 6, 2011, 01:27 AM
This image shows basically nothing.

queshy
Jun 6, 2011, 01:27 AM
I am not that excited about this year.

iCloud will likely be extremely buggy at the start, whatever it does (kind of like MobileMe was).

We already know the "main deal" about Lion and just like when they did this with Leopard, nothing much was added at WWDC.

iOS 5 might be interesting, but likely won't be available to the masses for a while.

"meh"

Hopefully they'll be "one more thing"!

This is not to say that I will not watch every second of the keynote as it unfolds :)

Kauai
Jun 6, 2011, 01:29 AM
Revamped iOS plox. Widgets and better notification.

Anything less and I'll seriously be considering a Galaxy Tab (I currently own and love my iPad 2).

fel10
Jun 6, 2011, 01:31 AM
I'm ready. Bring it on Apple!

TheAppleGeek
Jun 6, 2011, 01:32 AM
I'm looking forward to tomorrow, but I am not as excited for it as I was last year. Still, I am highly intrigued for the iCloud and iOS 5 announcements.

42streetsdown
Jun 6, 2011, 01:35 AM
wireless syncing would certainly be a welcomed feature

sennekuyl
Jun 6, 2011, 01:37 AM

Sure it does. They need to charge their phone soon.

Worf
Jun 6, 2011, 01:40 AM

iCloud will likely be extremely buggy at the start, whatever it does (kind of like MobileMe was).

We already know the "main deal" about Lion and just like when they did this with Leopard, nothing much was added at WWDC.

iOS 5 might be interesting, but likely won't be available to the masses for a while.

"meh"

This is not to say that I will not watch every second of the keynote as it unfolds

Of course it'll be buggy because it'll be in beta so only devs will be able to have access to it.

I really hope if Apple does go by the notification mock-up that it's like Android's pull down style and that notifications stack for each app so it doesn't get convoluted and crowded.

Also I find it important to note that John Gruber says MobileMe isn't = iCloud. So they'll be two separate entities? I really want to sign up for MobileMe or whatever it is called this year if they have improved it enough.

On the software end of things, this seems as exciting a year as any for WWDC. Also possibly a new MBA with Sandy Bridge might be released. Tomorrow's gonna be interesting.

Funkymonk
Apple better bring it or I'm done with em.

M. Johansson
Dont think of iCloud as the new MobileMe; think of iCloud as the new iTunes.

Yes, replace iTunes, please!

stridemat
Jun 6, 2011, 01:41 AM
The picture reminds me of the twitter quick bar, which has now been removed from the twitter iPhone app.

Winni
Jun 6, 2011, 01:45 AM
Gruber describes the possibility where instead of taking an iOS device and syncing it to your computer, all the data is synced to iCloud. This would finally relinquish the need for a PC/Mac sync for new iOS devices.

Yes, you wouldn't need a real computer anymore. And yes, you would be 100% dependent on Apple and their terms of use.

The folks who have been asking who would want a Google Chromium tablet should also ask who's going to want an Apple iOS device that is (exclusively) linked to an Apple cloud "service".

I am very, very skeptical of Apple's iCloud. That company enjoys censorship and tight control over the "user experience" way too much.

prospereagle92
Jun 6, 2011, 01:45 AM
I really hope that they start the back to school special tomorrow...I want to get my MBP w/ a free iPod already!

Cougarcat
Jun 6, 2011, 01:48 AM

It shows a new Camera icon, twitter integration, and a new look to the menubar (is it translucent like OS X, or grey?) but other than that, basically nothing!

TechCrunch said "at the very least, we're hearing right idea." I think it might be real. Why would someone bother to update the camera icon? It's weird that the notification text is in Myriad though.

zhivkom
Jun 6, 2011, 01:49 AM
camera.app is different

Žalgiris
Jun 6, 2011, 01:50 AM
Yes, you wouldn't need a real computer anymore. And yes, you would be 100% dependent on Apple and their terms of use.

The folks who have been asking who would want a Google Chromium tablet should also ask who's going to want an Apple iOS device that is (exclusively) linked to an Apple cloud "service".

I am very, very skeptical of Apple's iCloud. That company enjoys censorship and tight control over the "user experience" way too much.

Tell me when weren't you skeptical … Also get a clue for once and stop spreading BS.

NickFalk
Jun 6, 2011, 01:52 AM
iCloud == the new iTunes.

This makes perfect sense! It would mean liberating all the iDevices from the need to ever hook up to a computer. People with modest computing needs could just get an iPad and that's it.

PBF
Jun 6, 2011, 01:53 AM
camera.app is different
It can be had for $1.99 on the App Store:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/camera-flash-zoom/id336356918?mt=8

MrSmith
Jun 6, 2011, 01:53 AM
Tell me when weren't you skeptical … Also get a clue for once and stop spreading BS.
You like telling people to 'get a clue' without ever uttering an intelligent sentence. Strange creature, aren't you.

Žalgiris
Jun 6, 2011, 01:55 AM
People with modest computing needs could just get an iPad and that's it.

Not just these people, but all people i think. If i can just turn my just unboxed iPad on and sync it, well it beats connecting it to the Mac and setting iTunes hands down imho.

mrkramer
Jun 6, 2011, 01:55 AM

I know I wouldn't. Even if I wanted to trust a company like Apple to hold all of my information, I live in a rural area where the Internet is too slow to use any cloud services if I actually wanted them. Maybe in 10 years, but for now not everyone has fast enough Internet. However if they offered wireless syncing over my home wifi network that would be awesome.

MattInOz
Jun 6, 2011, 01:56 AM
I hope the notification reminders replaces the Spotlight screen not the first page of apps.

Leave the search field at the top, but only activate the keyboard if I tap that cell. Or if I tap another cell that allows text replies.

Also really hoping that the notification model changes to let me choose the priority of the App notifications instead of the style. The higher the priority the more intrusive the note is.

zhivkom
Jun 6, 2011, 01:57 AM
It can be had for $1.99 on the App Store:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/camera-flash-zoom/id336356918?mt=8

i don't think it's the same icon

Eso
Jun 6, 2011, 01:59 AM
No kidding, a few Apple employees are excited, huh?

Hueyfreeman
They are in SF and they are in line for an event that they already have tickets for.

YOU ARE IN THE CITY BY THE BAY HAVE SOME DAMN REAL FUN!!! I would kill to be in SF for the night then go to WWDC in the morning.

talkingfuture
Looking forward to this, can't wait to see what iCloud will actually do.

PBF
i don't think it's the same icon
It's the same icon + added blur + some vignetting.

Cougarcat
Jun 6, 2011, 02:00 AM
I hope the notification reminders replaces the Spotlight screen not the first page of apps.

If we get widgets, I think theyd go on the spotlight screen. Maybe notifications will appear in an overlay when you bring up the app switcher, like iOS.

Žalgiris
Jun 6, 2011, 02:01 AM
You like telling people to 'get a clue' without ever uttering an intelligent sentence. Strange creature, aren't you.

First of all there is Spotlight, do you really expect Apple to add such features like QuickSilver? What about 3rd party devs? They need a job right?

Just install QuickSilver or Alfred and stop whining.

Because FYI that thing of yours i replied to isn't exactly a shining beacon of intelligence either.

Xenc
Jun 6, 2011, 02:01 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

They should designate seats so there's no need for a line. The Apple population sure loves its lines.

Arnel
Jun 6, 2011, 02:05 AM
I just saw a picture of Moscone on flickr (here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/morgler/5792353507/)), and it's clear that there are a few covered banners on the top floor. There's also an uncovered banner on the second floor... can anyone make out what it is?

Cougarcat
Jun 6, 2011, 02:08 AM
I just saw a picture of Moscone on flickr (here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/morgler/5792353507/)), and it's clear that there are a few covered banners on the top floor. There's also an uncovered banner on the second floor... can anyone make out what it is?

If it's uncovered, then it's just one of the iCloud/lion/iOS banners.

MrSmith
Jun 6, 2011, 02:09 AM
First of all there is Spotlight, do you really expect Apple to add such features like QuickSilver? What about 3rd party devs? They need a job right?

Just install QuickSilver or Alfred and stop whining.

Because FYI that thing of yours i replied to isn't exactly a shining beacon of intelligence either.
OK. Just another mindless knee-jerk fanboy reaction. I just wondered if your conniption had any substance. Yes, I would like Apple to add a feature like Quicksilver. Or buy it out. You have a problem with that, then I'm not sorry. I suppose I should just go and buy a Dell?

product26
Jun 6, 2011, 02:10 AM
anybody else get the feeling that the openness about the whole "lion + icloud + ios5" stuff is just a distraction for "one more thing..."?

Cougarcat
Jun 6, 2011, 02:11 AM
anybody else get the feeling that the openness about the whole "lion + icloud + ios5" stuff is just a distraction for "one more thing..."?

No.

MattInOz
Jun 6, 2011, 02:12 AM
If we get widgets, I think theyd go on the spotlight screen. Maybe notifications will appear in an overlay when you bring up the app switcher, like iOS.

But then they couldn't change switcher to a full screen Mission Control type experience...

I thought Widgets would be more like Active Icons but a range of icons sizes. so they take up the space of Two or Four normal icons. With say a folder-like expanded info function (which could wait till iOS6).

zhivkom
No.

I don't either. Lion+iOS5+iCloud. This is it!

levitynyc
The picture reminds me of the twitter quick bar, which has now been removed from the twitter iPhone app.

Ahhhh, the infamous D!ck Bar

Popeye206
Jun 6, 2011, 02:17 AM

It's amazing how some seem to be so critical and threatening againt the company that totally changed everything in the last 5 years. :rolleyes:

Looking forward most to iOS 5... It should be like getting a new iPad and iPhone.

OllyW
Jun 6, 2011, 02:18 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

They should designate seats so there's no need for a line. The Apple population sure loves its lines.

It's all about the hype.

Apple get's tons of free publicity from the press when there are long lines so are unlikely to give it up, even if it would benefit their developers (or customers on product launch days).

PBF
Jun 6, 2011, 02:19 AM
My last minute thoughts:

- Lion
- iOS 5
- iCloud
- Revamped MobileMe for $49/year (incl. iCloud)
- Rebranded iDisk as iCloud for $25/year
- No @icloud.com addresses
- Dead iSync
- iCloud syncing taking over most of the iTunes bloat
- iTunes 11 for, um, tunes
- iWork '11
- June 14th, Lion launch via MAS
- Lion physical media launch 2-4 weeks later

rmwebs
Jun 6, 2011, 02:26 AM
If the new notification system turns out to be a silly little black bar then ones got to wonder what the heck they have been doing for the last year...they need to freshen up the interface...its 4 years old!!

zhivkom
Jun 6, 2011, 02:26 AM
My last minute thoughts:

- Lion
- iOS 5
- iCloud
- Revamped MobileMe for $99/year (incl. iCloud)
- No @icloud addresses
- Dead iSync
- iWork '11

I think there won't be new iWork version. 99$ is ok, but there should be a mont trial.

The Mad Mule
Jun 6, 2011, 02:27 AM
Bring on the refreshed Macbook Air line!

Cougarcat
Jun 6, 2011, 02:30 AM
I think there won't be new iWork version. 99$ is ok, but there should be a mont trial.

Indeed, the iWork team has been working on the iPhone versions.

iCloud will be priced much more aggressively than $99. Maybe even a free year with a hardware purchase.

rmwebs
Jun 6, 2011, 02:30 AM

I hope so...its a pretty underwhelming wwdc otherwise.

- Lion doesn't seem to be bringing anything major to the table and almost looks like a maintenance release to get its design tweaked to be more in line with iOS

- iOS 5 from the sounds of things will add a new notifications system and widgets

- iCloud is something many of us wont bother with or will continue to use tried and trusted services such as Dropbox and other S3 based sync services.

lilmisswizzle
Jun 6, 2011, 02:32 AM
My last minute thoughts:

- Lion
- iOS 5
- iCloud
- No @icloud addresses
- Dead iSync
- iWork '11

I dont think that iWork 11 would be there, iSync would still be there because they would have to finalise iCloud..... in saying that though if you could intergrate mobileme and iCloud that would be awesome, which would do away with PC syncing, and possibly lower the price..... and they need to make sure that the currency conversion for australia is alot better cause our dollar is doing alot better than what apple says it is....

We shall find out tomorrow (Brisbane AEST):D

PBF
Jun 6, 2011, 02:33 AM
iCloud will be priced much more aggressively than $99. Maybe even a free year with a hardware purchase.
According to my original post:

iCloud = $25/year
iCloud + MobileMe = $99/year

Cougarcat
Jun 6, 2011, 02:34 AM
iSync would still be there because they would have to finalise iCloud.....

iSync is removed in Lion.

MrSmith
Jun 6, 2011, 02:36 AM
If MM/the cloud thing were free, many more people would use it, get hooked and be locked into the Apple thing. As it is, "no one's" happy with it.

TheReadyPrompt
Jun 6, 2011, 02:36 AM
I hope the people already in line for the keynote understand they're there to hear Steve Jobs speak, not buy him. ;)

Cougarcat
Jun 6, 2011, 02:38 AM
According to my original post:

iCloud = $25/year
iCloud + MobileMe = $99/year

Sorry, I meant "iCloud + MobileMe" will be priced more aggressively. (I think all of Apple's cloud services will be rebranded as iCloud.)

iRobby
Jun 6, 2011, 02:41 AM
I hope the people already in line for the keynote understand they're there to hear Steve Jobs speak, not buy him. ;)

if they want to BUY him all they gotta do is go on iBooks and pre-order his autobiography, "iSteve". i pre-odered mine tonight.

zhivkom
Jun 6, 2011, 02:41 AM
If the new notification system turns out to be a silly little black bar then ones got to wonder what the heck they have been doing for the last year...they need to freshen up the interface...its 4 years old!!

If you are a mac user You know that Apple doesn't change things drastically. They are making improvements and UI changes unobtrusively.
But iOS 5 as a major update, must contain more than just notifications and iCloud support. Otherwise it'll be the year of waiting for nothing. And another year of using a stupid update. But I don't think so.
Remember the other major version updates:

In 2: There were Apps and AppStore.
In 3: Cut, Copy paste, MMS and Push Notifications.
In 4: iBook, iAds, FaceTime and Multitasking.

In 5: twitter integration, Better notifications, iCloud... WTF?

All of those are services, there must be an App. There must be something bigger- let's hope for Widgets

PBF
Jun 6, 2011, 02:44 AM
Sorry, I meant "iCloud + MobileMe" will be priced more aggressively. (I think all of Apple's cloud services will be rebranded as iCloud.)
The only MobileMe service that iCloud is replacing is iDisk.

In other words, one can have either MobileMe + iDisk (now known as iCloud) for $99 or just iDisk (now known as iCloud) for $25. Most people will care solely about iCloud, which is priced aggressively at $25/year.

rmwebs
Jun 6, 2011, 02:48 AM
If you are a mac user You know that Apple doesn't change things drastically. They are making improvements and UI changes unobtrusively.
But iOS 5 as a major update, must contain more than just notifications and iCloud support. Otherwise it'll be the year of waiting for nothing. And another year of using a stupid update. But I don't think so.

All of those are services, there must be an App. There must be something bigger- let's hope for Widgets

My point exactly :)

nutjob
Jun 6, 2011, 02:51 AM
They are in SF and they are in line for an event that they already have tickets for.

YOU ARE IN THE CITY BY THE BAY HAVE SOME DAMN REAL FUN!!! I would kill to be in SF for the night then go to WWDC in the morning.

I know. Sad isn't it. Waiting in line on a cold Sunday night when they could be warming their cockles in any number of nearby bars, eateries, etc. I weep for today's youth.

Cougarcat
Jun 6, 2011, 02:52 AM
The only MobileMe service that iCloud is replacing is iDisk.

Apple called iCloud their "cloud services offering," in the press release, which would suggest what is now mobileme will fit under it. The logo, which has appropriated the MobileMe cloud, suggests this as well.

In other words, one can have either MobileMe + iDisk (now known as iCloud) for $99 or just iDisk (now known as iCloud) for $25. Most people will care solely about iCloud, which is priced aggressively at $25/year.

But what if you want MobileMe's Calendar and Bookmarks sync? You have to pay $99? I don't see that. However you slice it, splitting up iCloud and MobileMe isn't straightforward. I think they will overhaul it all.

Tomorrow will be interesting, that's for sure!

Žalgiris
Jun 6, 2011, 02:55 AM

Tomorrow?

Cougarcat
Jun 6, 2011, 02:57 AM
Tomorrow?

It's 1 AM here and I have yet to go to bed, so for me, it's tomorrow, if not technically.

Awjvail
Jun 6, 2011, 02:58 AM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/original/000/107/708/tumblr_liebpzbCOv1qdkf2k.gif?1300698033

Skika
Jun 6, 2011, 02:59 AM
Tomorrow?

Time zones, how do they work?

randomcontrol
Jun 6, 2011, 02:59 AM
will charge my iPhone Battery ;-) ... wireless

Žalgiris
Jun 6, 2011, 03:00 AM
It's 1 AM here and I have yet to go to bed, so for me, it's tomorrow, if not technically.

11 in the morning here :)

Time zones, how do they work?

Who knows. I have sent many pigeons to find out, but none have returned.

nutjob
Jun 6, 2011, 03:00 AM

BS? Tsk, another Apple zombie: Must... justify... Apple's... attempt at... world... domination... brains!

Žalgiris
Jun 6, 2011, 03:01 AM
BS? Tsk, another Apple zombie: Must... justify... Apple's... attempt at... world... domination... brains!

You forgot the KOOL-AID. Pay attention next time.

saving107
Jun 6, 2011, 03:03 AM

Your type are never satisfied, so I'll say my goodbye to you now.

120+ million iOS users minus 1.

Narrie
Jun 6, 2011, 03:05 AM
My last minute thoughts:

- Lion
- iOS 5
- iCloud
- Dead iSync
- iWork '11

- Spotify competitor in iCloud. I think this would be an awesome idea. It's not often a company get rights to all the big four. Apple could turn this into a music streaming killer. Spotify and other competitors doesn't even have rights to all the big ones.

I'd rather pay $10 monthly and gain access to millions of tracks, rather than buying single songs and albums and sync them to my devices.

maclaptop

There are a lot of people that share your feelings. As a very long time customer I'm sad to say I'm close to feeling as you do. As a software engineer, I'm happy I work in a cross platform environment. I feel as though Apples new direction is forcing us to dumb down or switch platforms. iOS is fine and has it's place. But to compromise OS X in the process, is a decision Apple may regret.

PBF
Apple called iCloud their "cloud services offering," in the press release, which would suggest what is now mobileme will fit under it. The logo, which has appropriated the MobileMe cloud, suggests this as well.

But what if you want MobileMe's Calendar and Bookmarks sync? You have to pay $99? I don't see that. However you slice it, splitting up iCloud and MobileMe isn't straightforward. I think they will overhaul it all.

Obviously, Bookmarks/Calendar/Contacts/Photos/Music/Apps/Settings syncing is going to be part of iCloud, hence services (again, for just $25/year).

RalfTheDog
Jun 6, 2011, 03:08 AM
I think that iCloud will not be an internet service. Think about this, it is about music. I think that iCloud will be a port built into Macbooks that will produce fog when you add dry ice. Next year, they will upgrade this with iLightShow.

PS. iThink iMight be drunk.

Žalgiris
Jun 6, 2011, 03:10 AM
I think that iCloud will not be an internet service. Think about this, it is about music. I think that iCloud will be a port built into Macbooks that will produce fog when you add dry ice. Next year, they will upgrade this with iLightShow.

PS. iThink I might be drunk.

Not drunk enough if you still can think.

Cougarcat
Jun 6, 2011, 03:11 AM
Obviously, Bookmarks/Calendar/Contacts/Photos/Music/Apps/Settings syncing is going to be part of iCloud, hence services (again, for just $25/year).

The MobileMe portion seems overpriced, then. $74 for the Web Calendar and Email? I say $25, too.

maclaptop
Jun 6, 2011, 03:13 AM

That makes sense and sounds good. The problem lies in the fact that common sense is not always applied when Apple makes decisions.

teme
Jun 6, 2011, 03:14 AM
I thought Widgets would be more like Active Icons but a range of icons sizes. so they take up the space of Two or Four normal icons. With say a folder-like expanded info function (which could wait till iOS6).

This is exactly how I have imagined the widgets on iOS.

PBF
Jun 6, 2011, 03:14 AM
The MobileMe portion seems overpriced, then. $74 for the Web Calendar and Email? I say $25, too.
I too think that $99 is going to be reduced to $49/year.

mac jones
Jun 6, 2011, 03:15 AM
"Interestingly, we've heard that a few Apple employees have been genuinely excited about tomorrow's announcements"

I don't know, i've been in an Apple store were the employees will get excited, clap, jump up and down for no reason whatsoever.

OllyW
Jun 6, 2011, 03:17 AM
I too think that $99 is going to be reduced to $49/year.

That's the maximum I've ever paid since I first signed up to .Mac 6 years ago. :D

Cougarcat
Jun 6, 2011, 03:21 AM
That's the maximum I've ever paid since I first signed up to .Mac 6 years ago. :D

And to think, that's still overpriced! :p

jongriff
Jun 6, 2011, 03:24 AM
I for one am actually quite excited about what may get announced today. If its done right the ability to have one central location where all your stuff is stored, music, films, documents etc with the ability to access them from any internet connection on any device (albeit modern apple devices) sounds very cool.

If this was possible on your own iHub or whatever they may call the new timecapsule this would be even better with very fast access when you are at home. It would allow my laptop to stay thethered at home without the need to ever take it with me as i would have all my stuff wherever i went.

One other thing that i would love to see but holding my breath on is a cheap iOS powered airport express that doesnt have an interface but supports HDMI as well as audio that could act as something to "throw" your video or music to. If they were nice and cheap you could have a few around the house and further allow my laptop to stay where it is even when at home. Just a few thoughts but think that this has the potential to be a very exciting set of announcements in my opinion.

4God
I'm hoping for at least some brief info on Final Cut Pro X. ;)

OllyW
And to think, that's still overpriced! :p

The average price I've paid works out at just over £20 per year which I don't think is too bad.

Cinch
Jun 6, 2011, 03:26 AM

What exactly is .Mac. If you have to sell me this service or product, can you do it in a sentence? I'm not trying to be facetious, but just trying to ask an honest question.

SeaFox
Jun 6, 2011, 03:26 AM
re: Pic attached to tweet

And here I thought standing in lines for days for the iPhone was bad, here's standing in line for an event you're already guaranteed admittance to with your ticket and involves you receiving no tangible item. :rolleyes:

I hope those people don't expect their Macbooks to get through the entire night on the battery charge. :D

Michael Scrip
Jun 6, 2011, 03:28 AM
- Spotify competitor in iCloud. I think this would be an awesome idea. It's not often a company get rights to all the big four. Apple could turn this into a music streaming killer. Spotify and other competitors doesn't even have rights to all the big ones.

I'd rather pay $10 monthly and gain access to millions of tracks, rather than buying single songs and albums and sync them to my devices.

Ohhhh... good idea. I forgot that Apple just got all the music labels on-board for a 2nd time...

If that's true... it kinda makes Google's and Amazon's locker service look... well... like a locker service.

iTunes streaming from the cloud... sounds good to me.

Icaras
Jun 6, 2011, 03:29 AM
I feel as though Apples new direction is forcing us to dumb down or switch platforms. iOS is fine and has it's place. But to compromise OS X in the process, is a decision Apple may regret.

Like I said before, you use the term "dumb down", while I'll use the word "simplify." Negative/positive spin.

Your constant negative tone is just way overblown. Try mentioning your opinion to Apple's shareholders on Apple's next fiscal conference. :rolleyes:

iRobby
Jun 6, 2011, 03:30 AM
CNN.com is broadcasting the keynote on a delay starting at 10:30am PST/1:30pm EST

It's gonna be on "Today's" live coverage.
http://live.cnn.com/

BLACKFRIDAY
Jun 6, 2011, 03:31 AM
The average price I've paid works out at just over £20 per year which I don't think is too bad.

£20 for MobileMe?

Where'd you get that?

Cougarcat
Jun 6, 2011, 03:33 AM
Check it out, iOS 5 has been leaked. This guy posted a video. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAhP-yLJJ9s)

CNN.com is broadcasting the keynote on a delay starting at 10:30am PST/1:30pm EST

Hell yes! I think I can wait half an hour...I hope!!

BLACKFRIDAY
Jun 6, 2011, 03:34 AM
@TOPIC:

This obviously fake as Apple would never use 10p.t. Lucida Grande for any system info or otherwise in iOS. They have always used Helvetica and Helvetica derived fonts for anything iOS.

But even if this is true, I'm just sad that the homescreen hasn't changed.

Seriously, iOS needed a UI overhaul in the home screen department. People may live in the apps most of the time, doesn't mean that you're going to keep the same **** forever.

Morod
Jun 6, 2011, 03:38 AM
I feel as though Apples new direction is forcing us to dumb down or switch platforms. iOS is fine and has it's place. But to compromise OS X in the process, is a decision Apple may regret.

I'm totally with you on this one, but I can see why Apple thinks it needs doing.
OS X is as good as it gets (for me), so SL is probably as far as I will go.
For those with multiple Macs, iThis's and iThat's, closer OS integration would be nice. But that's not for me.
It'll be interesting to see what happens today, for sure!

SeaFox
Jun 6, 2011, 03:39 AM

It's gonna be on "Today's" live coverage.

Ah, I might be able to catch it before I go to work, then.

Check it out, iOS 5 has been leaked. This guy posted a video. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAhP-yLJJ9s)

LOL! That was well done.

OllyW
Jun 6, 2011, 03:41 AM
What exactly is .Mac. If you have to sell me this service or product, can you do it in a sentence? I'm not trying to be facetious, but just trying to ask an honest question.

Email, address book & calendar which you can sync between your computers & iDevices and access from a web browser, online storage (which sucks), photo hosting, website hosting and now Find My Phone.

I know you can get free alternatives (some of which will work better) but MobileMe as it is now called is great at keeping your information up to date if you are running several computers and iDevices.

Hopefully iCloud will take the best bits of MobileMe and fix the bad bits while extending the syncing to all of your media.

robertsduney
Jun 6, 2011, 03:42 AM
iOS 5 better be available for download the same day.

Cougarcat
Jun 6, 2011, 03:43 AM

For developers, yes, there will be a beta version. For the public, Aug-Sept.

PBF
Jun 6, 2011, 03:48 AM
LOL

Genius!

OllyW
Jun 6, 2011, 03:48 AM
£20 for MobileMe?

Where'd you get that?

£35 - eBay
£28 - eBay
£20 - Toys R Us !
£0 - Bullring Apple Store after they messed me about during the iPhone 3G launch
£30 - eBay
£15 - eBay (Bought 2 of these, old stock .Mac boxes)

All of them were boxed retail packages. :)

The beta might be available to developers but there's no chance of an official release today.

Icaras
Jun 6, 2011, 03:49 AM
For developers, yes, there will be a beta version. For the public, Aug-Sept.

I agree it won't be on the same day, but no way it will take that long. I'm betting on the next week, or the latest by the end of the month.

PBF
Jun 6, 2011, 03:51 AM
I agree it won't be on the same day, but no way it will take that long. I'm betting on the next week, or the latest by the end of the month.
Well, then you're gonna be disappointed. Aug-Sept is the earliest, which is around the same time as iPhone 4S.

Cougarcat
Jun 6, 2011, 03:51 AM

No way? This is the first preview. Developers will need time with the betas.

There has always been a 3-4 month period between an iOS announcement and the release.

BLACKFRIDAY
Jun 6, 2011, 03:55 AM
£35 - eBay
£28 - eBay
£20 - Toys R Us !
£0 - Bullring Apple Store after they messed me about during the iPhone 3G launch
£30 - eBay
£15 - eBay (Bought 2 of these, old stock .Mac boxes)

All of them were boxed retail packages. :)

The beta might be available to developers but there's no chance of an official release today.

Can't find any. :(

Žalgiris
Jun 6, 2011, 03:57 AM
This is Apple, but even Apple can't swallow a piece that big. Maybe we will see Lion released today or at least in june (i doubt that), but iOS no way we will see a final version, just a dev preview (as it always was before).

Cougarcat
Jun 6, 2011, 03:58 AM

I don't think Apple has been selling boxed copies of MobileMe recently, which is probably why.

OllyW
Jun 6, 2011, 04:00 AM

They have dried up since Apple pulled the boxed retail version.

BLACKFRIDAY
Jun 6, 2011, 04:00 AM

Ah! Ok.

Thanks for the heads up, anyway! :)

Saladinos
Jun 6, 2011, 04:08 AM

"meh"

This is not to say that I will not watch every second of the keynote as it unfolds :)

No way!

This year is one hell of an ass-kicking year. All 3 major Apple lines are getting big technology overhauls:

- Lion is the start of the next phase of the Mac, where it becomes a more nimble OS. It's the start of the OS industry following the PC sales trend over the last decade and moving to concentrate on laptops and mobile devices.

- iOS 5 is the other side of that coin. While OSX is becoming nimbler, iOS is going to be getting a lot smarter IMO. Improved notifications will help your workflow, and since this is such a big issue for iOS at the moment, I'm half-expecting a local documents store (or even something via iCloud, keeping your documents in sync between iOS devices and maybe even your Mac, too).

iOS major version updates always have hundreds of new features. Even if they're not visible, new APIs and such are always welcome as they expand the possible app feature set. I'm expecting a big release today on that front.

- iCloud. Basically a huge unknown. Is it a media or music-only system to replace iTunes? Does it stream from a datacentre or your home TC? Will it take over all functions of MobileMe? Is it mobileme with music bolted on? How much will it cost? Will it do files? etc.

joolze
Jun 6, 2011, 04:13 AM
Just wanted to say that I love the build up to an Apple announcement.

It feels like Christmas Eve when you were a kid & didn't know what Father Christmas was bringing & if you'd been good enough to get what you wanted :rolleyes:

Fingers crossed as I've been a good girl this year...

SeaFox
Jun 6, 2011, 04:15 AM
They were upset people were getting MobileMe for far less than the $99 advertised price. The App Store gave them the perfect excuse to end the box copies and close that loophole that let people renew for less.

Which is why if this new version of Mobi--er I mean iCloud isn't

damn cheap

and/or

has a crapload of new services you don't have to own three different iDevices to get any use out of

I'm not renewing and just getting a real domain and hosting instead. MobileMe, as it is now, is not worth $99/yr. Period.

twilson
Jun 6, 2011, 04:23 AM

Or, maybe the massive new data-centre proves that they've learnt from the previous mistakes and don't want it to happen again. (Especially given Steve's responses about the MobileMe launch, he'll be more than pissed if it happens again).

They have said they're holding back some features to be announced later.

Well, it is a World-Wide Developer Conference, isn't it.

yourstation
Jun 6, 2011, 04:23 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8F190)

"meh"

Lol. How grumpy are you!

I couldn't be more excited. This iCloud philosophy that Steve Jobs has been pushing for nearly 20 years is starting to take shape. It will not always just be about your audio and video but all your content.

baryon
Jun 6, 2011, 04:24 AM
I'm most excited about Lion. Release date, price, and whether there is anything new we don't know yet.

My 2nd Gen iPod Touch won't take iOS 5, but I'm still interested in what it will bring.

As for iCloud, I wish it did wireless syncing or something like that... Though I'm sure it would need iOS 5 anyway so I won't be able to use it.

Jamie0003
Jun 6, 2011, 04:39 AM
This sounds great and all...But I really can't see this service being free, how can Apple afford to let millions of people upload gigs and gigs of data onto their servers for free?

If they can somehow make this free, it will be amazing. I have a Macbook Pro that I use all the time and have loads of movies on it that I would love to send to the cloud so I can play movies and stuff on my Apple TV, as well as free up disc space (I have 80+ gigs of movies, and 6 gigs of music as well as 4 gigs of photos), and only have about 50 gigs of free space left.

It's the way of the future, but will it be free or a paid service? Looking forward to finding out tonight. Unfortunately though i'm predicting you'll need iOS 5 to be able to do this, and I only have a 3GS but don't really have a need for syncing to it anyway.

SiPat
Jun 6, 2011, 04:39 AM
Apple re-defined the market and turned not-so-smart phones into genuine smartphones -- everyone else turned on their photocopiers.

Admittedly, Apple has been slow to add features, but Apple does this for a reason, and it's not just about PR. Apple is all about the user-experience and tries to get things as right as possible and, yes, there will always be bugs that need to be sorted.

People are just greedy -- the more they're given, the more they want. It's like a never-ending thirst. Just imagine how you used your mobile phone only 5 years ago. Most people won't even settle for iPhone 3GS and are already demanding features that may only come with iOS 8/9/10!

Smartphone addiction is becoming as serious as alcoholism and being over sexed.

The dictionary on my Mac defines the word predict as say or estimate that (a specified thing) will happen in the future or will be a consequence of something.

It's amazing that whilst every one is predicting, they do it believing that it's actually going to happen.

BLACKFRIDAY
Jun 6, 2011, 04:40 AM
I don't think Apple has been selling boxed copies of MobileMe recently, which is probably why.

Yeah! Cool.

Thanks for the reply. :)

nstrudwick
Jun 6, 2011, 04:42 AM
I realise that these things mustn't hold back innovation, but I can't help but comment that all these "cloud" concepts are predicated on the existence of fast network connections, which a large part of even technically developed countries doesn't have.

At the core of course, all the developers sit on these wonderful fibre networks and forget those of us out in the sticks where the phone system is little better than a bit of string and two tin cans!

CFreymarc
Jun 6, 2011, 04:44 AM

Yup and here are my predictions / spoilers.

1) Those in line are going to be pissed when they get in and see a few dozen in the auditorium already seated. Those already in the place will not talk with the unwashed third party developers that were in line all night soaking up San Francisco, er, aroma.

2) Everyone gets a WWDC 2011 install DVD of Lion.

3) iOS 5 is not going to be out 'til November at the earliest due to licensing issues.

4) iCloud is going to totally kick ass with an update of iOS 4.5 going out next week for the iPhone 4 only. iPhone 3GS and less will just need to suck it up.

5) The "one more thing" is the iPhone 4G.

See you in the conference hall. A few are getting the brunch with Steve before the keynote!

SirHaakon
Jun 6, 2011, 04:48 AM
5) The "one more thing" is the iPhone 4G.
Nah, it'll be the 4S, not a 4G phone.

SiPat
Jun 6, 2011, 04:51 AM
And here's my prediction:

Real TV -- 32", 37", 42" and 50" LG panels with the 2nd gen TV and Airport Extreme built in along with PVR capability running under iOS5.

Project
Jun 6, 2011, 04:51 AM

I must say I do not understand the clamour for widgets. Haven't used Dashboard for years. And it pretty much amounts to a weather and clock display in Android. For me notifications are much more crucial - glancable information that is timely and pertinent...not just a widget for the sake of it. The notification system on WebOS and to a lesser extent Android makes the phones feel "alive". They're a big deal.

CFreymarc
Jun 6, 2011, 04:52 AM

Bet a dollar it is iPhone 4G. Way to simple of a name to come up with. All this 4G crap, it is an easy way to latch on. The "4S" was just a security leak piece for mole hunting.

SirHaakon
Jun 6, 2011, 04:54 AM
Bet a dollar it is iPhone 4G. Way to simple of a name to come up with. All this 4G crap, it is an easy way to latch on. The "4S" was just a security leak piece for mole hunting.
I'm not going on anything other than the fact that I don't believe it will be a 4G phone, and they'd never give a phone a "4G" model number if it wasn't.

flottenheimer
Jun 6, 2011, 04:55 AM
Really looking forward to this.

On top of all the new exciting OSX, iOS & iCloud features it will be very interesting to see the retail price for Lion. $1... $29... $49... $99... $149.... $199... Whatever it is I predict it will have a huge impact on the adoption rate.

Jamie0003
Jun 6, 2011, 04:56 AM
Something to add to my last post: Unless Apple DOES make iCloud free, I can't see their computers losing their hard drives and CD drives anytime soon (CD drives more likely though).

As seen with the Macbook Air, Apple want to eradicate Hard Drives and CD drives completely for obvious reasons. Better battery life, thinner/lighter macs and faster speeds from the SSD.

The reason I think that Apple needs to make iCloud free is because when a customer goes to buy a mac, notices it only has a small amount of flash memory, they are going to want to know why. After being told how iCloud works, and that it is a paid service, said customer might not buy the mac because of this.

Jamie0003
Jun 6, 2011, 04:58 AM
Really looking forward to this.

On top of all the new exciting OSX, iOS & iCloud features it will be very interesting to see the retail price for Lion. $1... $29... $49... $99... $149.... $199... Whatever it is I predict it will have a huge impact on the adoption rate.

I'm predicting around $50 (around £45 in the UK) because Apple will want everyone to be using their new cloud services and most likely they will require Lion.

ChrisH3677
Jun 6, 2011, 05:00 AM
1) Do away with the need for iOS devices to sync to a computer. Ever.

2) A file system that enables files to be used between apps.

Žalgiris
Jun 6, 2011, 05:02 AM
4) iCloud is going to totally kick ass with an update of iOS 4.5 going out next week for the iPhone 4 only.

Makes no sense.

MacHiavelli
Jun 6, 2011, 05:04 AM
The icloud logo seems to be superimposed over a brushed metal power button (very similar to the power button on the MBP) - something to do with the cloud being always on?

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/wwdc21.jpg

Popeye206
Jun 6, 2011, 05:05 AM

No hardware today.... Unless they announce the new iToaster! :p

sunfast
Jun 6, 2011, 05:07 AM
The icloud logo seems to be superimposed over a brushed metal power button (very similar to the power button on the MBP) - something to do with the cloud being always on?

Looks a bit like the iSync icon

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/ISync_icon.png

Michael Scrip
Jun 6, 2011, 05:18 AM
1) Do away with the need for iOS devices to sync to a computer. Ever.

For many years... you had stuff on your computer that you would sync to your device. That was easy to comprehend.

But where does the computer belong... if you've got a device and the cloud?

You'll eventually end up with 3 copies of your stuff.

Apple better have a big helping of magic to make the general public understand how it will all work.

manu chao
Jun 6, 2011, 05:26 AM

And you are not today? What exactly has changed?

One word: Overflow rooms

hollerz
Jun 6, 2011, 05:30 AM
For many years... you had stuff on your computer that you would sync to your device. That was easy to comprehend.

But where does the computer belong... if you've got a device and the cloud?

You'll eventually end up with 3 copies of your stuff.

Apple better have a big helping of magic to make the general public understand how it will all work.

It's not exactly hard. All your devices have the same stuff on. Change a file on your Mac and it will automatically be updated on your iPhone :confused:

If that's how it's gonna work anyway, we still don't really know.

akarmenia
Jun 6, 2011, 05:34 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

That camera app probably has twitter et al sharing built in. Nothing too controversial there.

MacHiavelli
Jun 6, 2011, 05:38 AM
Looks a bit like the iSync icon

Image (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/ISync_icon.png)

Yep - you're right.

Frosticus
Jun 6, 2011, 05:39 AM
Looking forward to the keynote - lots of unknowns (sort of) for once. I'm keen to know the details of iCloud and iOS5 - glad I held off buying a Time Capsule if they are going to be refreshed with new features. Passive over the air syncing of the iPhone camera roll to iCloud etc would be cool, as well as Twitter integration, although I don't tend to post much myself (tend to use FB for that).

So yeah.. some final clarity on all the rumours flying around the past few weeks will be very welcome!!

Finally - Lion available after the keynote via Mac app store?

Azathoth
Jun 6, 2011, 05:40 AM

And that's what's worrying me - there is some discussion as to whether Apple has effectively been blocking Spotify from the US market due to their (Apple's) dominance within the music industry.

Apple can thereby monopolise the online music market. Right now I have a MBP and an Android phone, so I can listen to music (Spotify) on both. Apple kills Spotify then I lose to mobile music options (and no, Google and Amazon's services are not available outside the US).

Everyone that remembers the monopolistic MS practices of the 90s should be worried about how Apple is applying some of the same approach. Granted, with more style, but still it harms the consumer, who is, IMO, best served with 2-3 high quality platforms - be it OS, mobile, music, HW or whatever.

Otaviano
Jun 6, 2011, 05:43 AM
And that's what's worrying me - there is some discussion as to whether Apple has effectively been blocking Spotify from the US market due to their (Apple's) dominance within the music industry.

The music industry has been blocking Spotify because it would destroy it should it ever become the mainstream and dominant model.

caspersoong
Jun 6, 2011, 05:46 AM
Too bad I have to wait for morning (here) to see the keynote. Hoping for the best.

queshy
Bring on the refreshed Macbook Air line!

That could be a silent upgrade, not important enough for WWDC.

Michael Scrip
It's not exactly hard. All your devices have the same stuff on. Change a file on your Mac and it will automatically be updated on your iPhone :confused:

If that's how it's gonna work anyway, we still don't really know.

If the files are small... it wouldn't be a bother.

But it gets trickier with large files... like photos, for instance. If you dump a couple hundred megabytes of photos onto your Mac... how long will it take to get them to the cloud and then to your iPhone?

sunfast
Jun 6, 2011, 05:54 AM
One word: Overflow rooms

That's two words!

LarryC
Jun 6, 2011, 05:58 AM

Hell yes! I think I can wait half an hour...I hope!!

Really good video. Thanks.

alistairroe
Jun 6, 2011, 06:01 AM
I made an account for the sole purpose of posting this:
If indeed iTunes is to be replaced, and OTA syncing is the way of the future, and no longer is the device tethered to a computer, then it logically follows that the service cannot in fact be a paid one. Therefore, if iCloud is going to be a paid service, there still needs to be wired syncing.

Lesser Evets
Jun 6, 2011, 06:03 AM
People are waiting in line, in the dark? Sheesh. They need hobbies, or women, or something.

Using iCloud to make Apple products autonomous of PCs makes sense. I wonder if it will increase sales: everyone with a PC (almost everyone) doesn't need iCloud.

BLACKFRIDAY
Jun 6, 2011, 06:06 AM
Is there going to be a video stream?

w.t.f apple?

OllyW
Jun 6, 2011, 06:10 AM
People are waiting in line, in the dark? Sheesh. They need hobbies, or women, or something.

Starting to line up 11 hours before an event for which you already have tickets is taking dedication to another level. :eek:

albert421
Jun 6, 2011, 06:11 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

In the last second before WWDC start, what I think about the new iOS 5 is that, it might only support the new iPhone 5 that might have a larger screen, and the extra screen is use by the the iOS system for extra feature, not use by three party apps.

J@ffa
Jun 6, 2011, 06:15 AM
I'm pretty sure that the queueing is to ensure a decent spot for Jobs' speech, rather than simply to gain entry at all.

Cougarcat
Jun 6, 2011, 06:22 AM
Is there going to be a video stream?

w.t.f apple?

Yes, on CNN.com. It'll be slightly delayed though.

Cougarcat
Jun 6, 2011, 06:26 AM
If the files are small... it wouldn't be a bother.

But it gets trickier with large files... like photos, for instance. If you dump a couple hundred megabytes of photos onto your Mac... how long will it take to get them to the cloud and then to your iPhone?

Dropbox will take advantage of your faster local network when it can. Maybe iCloud will work in the same way--your pictures would be uploaded over time to the net, but in the meantime it'll also send it to your phone via wifi, bypassing the cloud.

DennisVR
Jun 6, 2011, 06:28 AM
I'm most curious about this iCloud stuff. When i buy music i want to be able listen to it on any Apple device i have without having to sync. On that note WIFI syncing would be nice.

roadbloc
Jun 6, 2011, 06:29 AM
On that note WIFI syncing would be nice.

Already exists. (http://www.google.co.uk/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=itunes+home+sharing&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&ei=DbrsTePOCY2r8AO6mJCrAQ)

jowie
Jun 6, 2011, 06:31 AM
iCloud == the new iTunes.

This makes perfect sense! It would mean liberating all the iDevices from the need to ever hook up to a computer. People with modest computing needs could just get an iPad and that's it.

This brings us the tantalising prospect that the Apple TV could in theory have access to *all* of your media, through the cloud.

If that happened I'm definitely getting one! :)

tigres
Jun 6, 2011, 06:32 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

iCloud. Set it and forget it.

Cougarcat
Jun 6, 2011, 06:33 AM
Already exists. (http://www.google.co.uk/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=itunes+home+sharing&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&ei=DbrsTePOCY2r8AO6mJCrAQ)

Home Sharing is local streaming, not syncing.

Edit: never mind, I see what you were responding to. I think you just quoted the wrong part.

alistairroe
Jun 6, 2011, 06:38 AM
When iCloud doesn't live up to expectations:

iCloud. Never fails to rain on your parade.

ldellx3
Jun 6, 2011, 06:38 AM
shouldnt the apple store be down

macman312
Jun 6, 2011, 06:45 AM

Agreed I hope it will be

1) a brand new iphone- don't even care if it isn't released till september as long as it is announced

2) support for flash- I am thinking of starting a trust fund for apple to start supporting flash and send apple the money then maybe :P

OllyW
Jun 6, 2011, 06:47 AM

There's 5 hours to go before the keynote starts.

saxon48
Jun 6, 2011, 07:00 AM
Quite excited about this. Called in sick to work just for the occasion.

KnightWRX
Jun 6, 2011, 07:02 AM

Down for what exactly ? If there's no hardware refreshed, there's no reason to bring the store down.

Hattig
Jun 6, 2011, 07:03 AM

Great, now all the orcs are loose. Thanks a bunch.

Sankersizzle
Jun 6, 2011, 07:07 AM
I got strep throat so I stayed home from university class today, hoping this will pass the time before I can swallow without crying again. Although, if they decide to not support 3GS with iOS5, I may begin to cry regardless.

HobeSoundDarryl
Jun 6, 2011, 07:10 AM
And here's my prediction:

Real TV -- 32", 37", 42" and 50" LG panels with the 2nd gen TV and Airport Extreme built in along with PVR capability running under iOS5.

3 things about this recurring rumor...

If Apple ever gets in the business of making televisions, get ready for sticker shock to no end (there is no AT&T or Verizon plan to subsidize the price, you'll just get the full price plus the Apple profit margin and it won't be relatively pretty). I could already foresee a million complaints of how the very same panel in the form of an LG television plus an external :apple:TV is $XXX cheaper, so why pay so much to have it inside? I could also foresee that the next larger size or two plus an external :apple:TV would probably prove to be priced about the same as the Apple-branded set.

What a shame it would be to have a 1080p capable panel yet have the :apple:TV and thus the Apple PVR capped at 720p. If it's based upon the 2nd gen, that's exactly what it would be. If we're going to hope for this, we need to hope for an :apple:TV platform upgrade that finally embraces 1080p.

The best way for this dream to come true would be for Apple to license the :apple:TV platform to TV manufacturers and "encourage" them to build it into their sets.

manu chao
Jun 6, 2011, 07:10 AM
That's two words!
Being very much conditioned by German grammar and spelling, this is to me still 'one word'. I mean it is one single, non-qualified physical object, why should it not be one word? ;)

gorgeousninja
Jun 6, 2011, 07:11 AM
Some people will moan that if Apple introduce X,Y,Z that they didn't do A,B,C.
Some people will moan about price, no matter what that price might be.
Some people will moan because that is all they ever do.

Everybody else will likely be very happy...

Oh and anything Apple does will be regarded by some as 'generic' by the end of Steve's speech.

KnightWRX
Jun 6, 2011, 07:12 AM
Some people will moan about other people being disappointed

Fixed that there for you. Don't be part of the problem.

Personally, I don't give a crap about iCloud, I just hope they don't screw up on iOS 5 (widgets and notifications, Twitter stuff not too "deep integration style", support the 3GS in some fashion so that it gets 2 iOS upgrades like the iPhone and the iPhone 3G before it) and I'd be happy with a release date and price for Lion.

utwarreng
Jun 6, 2011, 07:13 AM

Do you have a link for information to this, or a link to where the stream will be? I can't seem to find one.

Jamie0003
3 things about this recurring rumor...

If Apple ever gets in the business of making televisions, get ready for sticker shock to no end (there is no AT&T or Verizon plan to subsidize the price, you'll just get the full price plus the Apple profit margin and it won't be relatively pretty). I could already foresee a million complaints of how the very same panel in the form of an LG television plus an external :apple:TV is $XXX cheaper, so why pay so much to have it inside? I could also foresee that the next larger size or two plus an external :apple:TV would probably prove to be priced about the same as the Apple-branded set.

What a shame it would be to have a 1080p capable panel yet have the :apple:TV and thus the Apple PVR capped at 720p. If it's based upon the 2nd gen, that's exactly what it would be. If we're going to hope for this, we need to hope for an :apple:TV platform upgrade that finally embraces 1080p.

The best way for this dream to come true would be for Apple to license the :apple:TV platform to TV manufacturers and "encourage" them to build it into their sets.

I really dont think apple will ever go into the television business. As they've said many times, they only consider it a 'hobby'. Besides, who wants to spend that much money on something you can buy in the shops for £100?

dball4

I almost did the same until I realized I need the money and that I can sneak in reading the coverage at work with my iPad over the public wifi at my building. I'm also packing my lunch today which I never do and I will eat it at my desk.

Cougarcat
Jun 6, 2011, 07:14 AM
Do you have a link for information to this, or a link to where the stream will be? I can't seem to find one.

http://live.cnn.com

BLACKFRIDAY
Jun 6, 2011, 07:15 AM

You mean a video stream of some kind? If its delayed, it's delayed by hardly a fraction of a minute which is affordable. :P

Can I have a link for the same please?

KnightWRX
Jun 6, 2011, 07:16 AM
I almost did the same until I realized I need the money

Paid sick days, what a concept. ;)

Žalgiris
Less than 5 hours until the keynote starts and it is extremely quiet in the front of last minute leaks. Strange.

stockscalper
Jailbreak your phone and you will have a wide choice of different notifications. Some show icons on the status bar, others like the one I use show icons with text on the lockscreen. You can even get voice announcements. Regardless of what Apple announces today it will still be behind what's available in the jailbroken universe. I was multitasking with IOS 3 and it was a much much better iteration than what Apple finally came out with.

dball4
Jun 6, 2011, 07:17 AM
Paid sick days, what a concept. ;)

Yep, but I'm just an intern so I don't get those nice luxuries

utwarreng
Jun 6, 2011, 07:17 AM
I almost did the same until I realized I need the money and that I can sneak in reading the coverage at work with my iPad over the public wifi at my building. I'm also packing my lunch today which I never do and I will eat it at my desk.

Between this, and the 3:30 EST Mass Effect 3 preview, I almost did the same. Then I realized that ME3 will be on Spike, so I'm just DVRing it, and I figured I could just download the WWDC stream event later on. Problems solved, and I don't have to use sick or vacation days!

dball4
Jun 6, 2011, 07:20 AM
Between this, and the 3:30 EST Mass Effect 3 preview, I almost did the same. Then I realized that ME3 will be on Spike, so I'm just DVRing it, and I figured I could just download the WWDC stream event later on. Problems solved, and I don't have to use sick or vacation days!

To me it was that and the Xbox keynote today at the same time as WWDC. I'm curious to see what they are offering. But I'd rather be responsible and just work and sneak in the engadget live blog, or listen to twit's audio stream at work.

OllyW
Jun 6, 2011, 07:20 AM
I really dont think apple will ever go into the television business. As they've said many times, they only consider it a 'hobby'. Besides, who wants to spend that much money on something you can buy in the shops for £100?

Nearly all the new TVs coming from Samsung, LG and Sony are now incorporating built in streaming. It's not like a TV with a built in Apple TV would add massive value to the set to justify the high price Apple would demand.

Baumi
Jun 6, 2011, 07:21 AM
There's 5 hours to go before the keynote starts.

B-b-but it's already past 3 PM here! I thought the keynote was like that rapture thing, happening at 10 AM in each time zone, with Steve taking the Mac faithful up with him into the iCloud...

Totalkharnage
Jun 6, 2011, 07:23 AM
My productivity is at an all time low today. Setting myself up for no live stream as per the iPad 2 announcement. back to the old fashioned concept of following a blog.

Can't believe how the hype has ramped up since the iCloud confirmation and fear that most people will be let down regardless of what is announced. The only way the hype could get any greater is if the Apple store went down

Bring on 6pm !! (GMT)

Sackvillenb
Jun 6, 2011, 07:23 AM
Well, soon all of this speculating and debating will come to an end... albeit briefly! I do hope they have some kind of surprise "one more thing"...

Hopefully today's news will include some large changes and improvements... :)

hexor
Jun 6, 2011, 07:25 AM
I hope those guys realize that if they don't fill the "media" section in the front of the keynote room, they start allowing anyone to sit in the media section. So that means all your sacrifice waiting in line to get a good seat could be for naught when someone who was last in line could get a better seat then you. I was in the 2007 WWDC line at about 3AM and waiting with some other guys and got the closest seats possible.. until I saw them open up that media section to everyone.. I decided to stay in my seat anyways for camaraderie sake :)

KnightWRX
Jun 6, 2011, 07:26 AM
Less than 5 hours until the keynote starts and it is extremely quiet in the front of last minute leaks. Strange.

Much easier to control information leaks about software than it is with hardware. Software is done internally at Apple, whereas hardware requires intervention and secrecy from 3rd party partners.

Hence, probably no hardware refreshes this time around at WWDC itself.

Kimbie
Jun 6, 2011, 07:28 AM
I need to know weather ios 5 will work on a 3GS I am rather hoping it wont, meaning I can get my work to upgrade me to a 4

Kimbie

iggypod
Jun 6, 2011, 07:29 AM
This almost feels like Christmas morning. Almost.

I can't decide which I'm more excited about - ios 5, Lion or icloud. Probably ios 5.

BLACKFRIDAY
Jun 6, 2011, 07:30 AM
I need to know weather ios 5 will work on a 3GS I am rather hoping it wont, meaning I can get my work to upgrade me to a 4

Kimbie

Rumours suggest it won't. I think it will [to some extent].

Lets finish this here as there is already a huge thread discussing this on the front page itself.

LarryC
Jun 6, 2011, 07:31 AM
Has anyone heard of a new iPod touch? I went to the Apple home page at around 6:30 AM and saw an ad for the new iPod touch. When I returned there later, it was gone?

gadget123
Jun 6, 2011, 07:31 AM
Sorry but why are people excited here?

If it was hardware I would be but I really don't see anything major in IOS 5. Twitter integration and wickets that all? :rolleyes:

Steelers7510
Jun 6, 2011, 07:33 AM
I'm still hopeful for a new iPhone announcement today and not having to wait until later this fall...:)

BLACKFRIDAY
Jun 6, 2011, 07:33 AM
Sorry but why am I here?

If it was hardware I would be but I really don't see anything major in IOS 5. Twitter integration and wickets that all? :rolleyes:

Fixed.

Popeye206
Jun 6, 2011, 07:35 AM
Has anyone heard of a new iPod touch? I went to the Apple home page at around 6:30 AM and saw an ad for the new iPod touch. When I returned there later, it was gone?

Nope.... That's traditionally in the fall.

KnightWRX
Jun 6, 2011, 07:35 AM
Sorry but why are people excited here?

People get excited for different things because people have different likes, personalities and wants. A strange concept that not everyone in the world is like you, I know, but that's how things are.

Popeye206
Jun 6, 2011, 07:36 AM
I'm still hopeful for a new iPhone announcement today and not having to wait until later this fall...:)

There is a new iPhone for sure going to be announced today. But, just the software, not e hardware. :D

LarryC
Jun 6, 2011, 07:37 AM
Nope.... That's traditionally in the fall.

That is what I thought too. It isn't even due yet according to the MR Buyers Guide? I don't know what to think. It was there.

Popeye206
Jun 6, 2011, 07:40 AM
That is what I thought too. It isn't even due yet according to the MR Buyers Guide? I don't know what to think. It was there.

Today will be the new iOS5. I'm guessing around September will be the iPhone 4s (or whatever) and then the new Touch.

All just in time for Chirstmas... And people who got the iPhone 4 when it first came out from AT&T, will probably get an early upgrade offer.

unlinked
Jun 6, 2011, 07:42 AM
"Interestingly, we've heard that a few Apple employees have been genuinely excited about tomorrow's announcements"

I don't know, i've been in an Apple store were the employees will get excited, clap, jump up and down for no reason whatsoever.

Your thinking of the fake excitement,the excitement is real this time.Trust us.

bbeagle
Jun 6, 2011, 07:42 AM

Everybody else will likely be very happy...

Oh and anything Apple does will be regarded by some as 'generic' by the end of Steve's speech.

Some people will moan because other people are happy, and call those people fanboys.

michael31986
Jun 6, 2011, 07:43 AM
i for one wouldnt mind if the updated the way that music played on the iphone and ipod touch with ios5. they need to have the song titles scroll like they do on the classic and nano. but thats just something extra i would like.

LarryC
Jun 6, 2011, 07:43 AM
Today will be the new iOS5. I'm guessing around September will be the iPhone 4s (or whatever) and then the new Touch.

All just in time for Chirstmas... And people who got the iPhone 4 when it first came out from AT&T, will probably get an early upgrade offer.

You're right, thanks.

jouster
Jun 6, 2011, 07:50 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Agreed I hope it will be

1) a brand new iphone- don't even care if it isn't released till september as long as it is announced

2) support for flash- I am thinking of starting a trust fund for apple to start supporting flash and send apple the money then maybe :P

It's tough to bribe a company with 60bn of cash...

ciTiger
Jun 6, 2011, 07:50 AM
You guys are so mean! :)
Let's wait for the keynote, it isn't far away.

Popeye206
Jun 6, 2011, 07:54 AM
You guys are so mean! :)
Let's wait for the keynote, it isn't far away.

But it's so much fun to bash things before you even know what they are! :p

gorgeousninja
Jun 6, 2011, 07:55 AM
Fixed that there for you. Don't be part of the problem.

Personally, I don't give a crap about iCloud, I just hope they don't screw up on iOS 5 (widgets and notifications, Twitter stuff not too "deep integration style", support the 3GS in some fashion so that it gets 2 iOS upgrades like the iPhone and the iPhone 3G before it) and I'd be happy with a release date and price for Lion.

Suppose the moaning is all down to what expectations you set. Some people demand the earth yet are unwilling to contribute anything to it.
If your mindset is to be in babylike "I want, I want, I want, I want" then there is more chance of ending up with nothing that will ever satisfy.

Sankersizzle
Jun 6, 2011, 07:55 AM
So are we positive that there is no live feed?

Thunderhawks
Jun 6, 2011, 07:57 AM
It's amazing how some seem to be so critical and threatening againt the company that totally changed everything in the last 5 years. :rolleyes:

Looking forward most to iOS 5... It should be like getting a new iPad and iPhone.

Always funny, they complain about Apple products, threaten to leave for DELL, Galaxy etc. , but most likely never do or come back (can't admit it though:-).

Popeye206
Jun 6, 2011, 07:58 AM
So are we positive that there is no live feed?

We are positively sure that there is no live feed at this time.

Makes you think they'd use the new iCloud to stream the presentation to us so we can all check out the performance????

PCClone
Jun 6, 2011, 07:59 AM

Concerned they won't back up your porn to the cloud?

Popeye206
Jun 6, 2011, 08:00 AM
Always funny, they complain about Apple products, threaten to leave for DELL, Galaxy etc. , but most likely never do or come back (can't admit it though:-).

I'm guessing 90% of the people who make those claims don't even have an iPhone or iPad and just like to stir the pot. Why would someone with an iPad 2 or an iPhone 4 really consider making that change.... if they got to have the features they are complaining about, they can jailbreak and get them. Makes no sense.

Hastings101
Jun 6, 2011, 08:02 AM
Image (http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/original/000/107/708/tumblr_liebpzbCOv1qdkf2k.gif?1300698033)

That was scary. Also, I'm more excited about the last Harry Potter movie than about anything Apple is going to do :D

toddybody
Jun 6, 2011, 08:02 AM
"Last Minute Thoughts on iCloud"...

We MR folk are a sad lot:o

Popeye206
Jun 6, 2011, 08:04 AM
"Last Minute Thoughts on iCloud"...

We MR folk are a sad lot:o

Hate the name... can't wait to see what the service actually is going to be.

KnightWRX
Jun 6, 2011, 08:05 AM

I think it's rather funny that Apple is jumping on the whole Cloud marketing bandwagon. Seems sheepish and uninnovative to me, especially considering the "Cloud" thing is not even a new concept, only a new marketing buzzword for a concept that has existed for decades.

Bilbo63
Jun 6, 2011, 08:08 AM
We are positively sure that there is no live feed at this time.

Makes you think they'd use the new iCloud to stream the presentation to us so we can all check out the performance????

Yeah, that thought crossed my mind too. Maybe a surprise live stream right at the last minute? Not likely, but I can hope.

Cheers.

ratzzo
Jun 6, 2011, 08:11 AM
That would be a nice place to put notifications at. It really is simpler than people put it.:rolleyes:

Bilbo63
Jun 6, 2011, 08:12 AM
I think it's rather funny that Apple is jumping on the whole Cloud marketing bandwagon. Seems sheepish and uninnovative to me, especially considering the "Cloud" thing is not even a new concept, only a new marketing buzzword for a concept that has existed for decades.

Yeah, agreed. I'm hoping that whatever they do, they tie things together in a way that might be more seamless. Dropbox works sooo much better than iDisk. I hardly ever use my iDisk anymore. I let my family plan mobile me re-new last week just in case. If there are no improvements, it'll be my last time I think.

TallManNY
If my TC could go download my morning copy of the NYTimes and The Daily so that I could stream them over wi-fi when I wake up, that would be huge. It would really enable daily apps a lot better. Now I have to tell papers every morning to wake up and get the stuff, which is fast enough if I remember to do so early enough before I leave the house, but not nearly as fast as pure wi-fi connection would be.

applefan289
That was scary. Also, I'm more excited about the last Harry Potter movie than about anything Apple is going to do :D

Eww... as a random passerby, I clicked the link....that is some weird stuff. :p

ON TO THE KEYNOTE

jonnysods
Jun 6, 2011, 08:14 AM
Bring it on!!!

kavika411
Jun 6, 2011, 08:17 AM
Like everyone else here, I enjoy trying to guess what the announcements will be. I also enjoy guessing the outline and tricks of the presentation. Nothing necessarily original here. Just want to record my predictions so that when I nail every single one, I am remembered as god-like. ;)

What will be covered today?

50% on iCloud, 25% on iOS 5, and 25% on OSX Lion. These will overlap of course and bleed into each other. The next iPhone won't be mentioned today. Nor will new iPods, new iPads or new Macs.

How will Steve "sell" us on iCloud (and iOS 5 and OSX)?

He will sell us on it by talking about what Amazon and Google have tried - but failed, in his opinion - to deliver in their cloud offerings. He will essentially tell us what we want, expect and need in cloud computing, and explain how Amazon and Google fail to do it despite large ongoing subscription fees (for people with lots of content).

What will Steve say the purpose of "cloud computing" is for the average person?

Access, stream, change, save and protect your data regardless of where you are physically, and regardless of what computing device you are using.

Where - physically - will the cloud be?

A local cloud - Time Capsule - overcomes copyright problems (such as illegally secured music and movies) for Apple. It overcomes uploading problems for users with massive amounts of media. It overcomes frustrating, perpetual subscription fees for cloud services. (Think about how much Apple would charge you for uploading a terabyte of media that you want to be able to stream any time you'd like.) It ends the need to do a wired synch if the local cloud - again, Time Capsule - is able to automatically grab and save for you large downloads, such as operating system updates, until you are ready to have it pushed onto your iOS device. But it means your Time Capsule/Internet must always be on. It means you have to buy hardware. It doesn't get your content off-site, meaning it is more susceptible to loss, such as fire, flooding, drive failure.

If the cloud is hardware in your house - Time Capsule - then what is the purpose of Apple's massive new data center? Perhaps the data center is merely for your off-site backup, such as what Carbonite does; you can upload everything to the data center, but not stream any of it. You'd just have it backed up to there.

What data (documents, photographs, music, movies, TV shows) of yours will be allowed in the cloud?

Everything.

What will be the method for getting your stuff into the cloud?

Automatic backups to your Time Capsule. As long as the device you are computing on has iOS 5 or OSX Lion, and the iCloud "switch" in the 'on' position, as you manipulate it, changes are immediately made to the Time Capsule data.

What will be the method for getting your stuff from the cloud?

Wi-fi and 3G. However, I think you will only be able to access TV shows and movies when you are on wi-fi.

Questions:

Where does this leave MobileMe?

I have no idea. The new cloud renders much of MobileMe unnecessary, such as iDisk, but what about things like your .me or .mac email account, your calendar synching, or your "find my iPhone" features? I have no idea. Maybe the stuff that is not affected by the cloud becomes free.

Where does this leave traditional iTunes?

The iTunes interface allows you to access all kinds of information on your media, and allows you to build playlists ("smart" and regular) based upon a litany of tagging information. It's hard to see this system being changed too dramatically. However, iTunes hasn't been upgraded significantly in years. So, like changes to MobileMe, I really have no idea what changes there will substantively be to iTunes.

Will the keynote have anything "sexy?"

Cloud computing, Time Capsule and an iOS update are cool and all, but hopefully there will be some new sexy gadget of some sort. For example, maybe iOS 5 will work on Apple TV, and allow for apps/gaming on your TV, using your iPhone/iPod Touch as a remote/game controller.

What will be the excitement over iOS 5?

In addition to what is said immediately above, iOS 5 will revamp notifications. iOS 5 apps will work on OSX Lion. iOS 5 devices will be able to seamlessly access OSX Lion devices, like gotomypc.com.

What will be the excitement over Lion?

In addition to what is said immediately above, OSX Lion will allow very easy access to other OSX Lion devices. ("Back to my Mac" will loose its name but be much stronger and more user friendly.) FaceTime/iChat technology will be enhanced and work on both Macs and PCs; it will become more friendly across all platforms and all devices and go after the gotomeeting.com market.

At the end of the day, so to speak, what will Steve Jobs be asking us to buy?

A new Time Capsule. Currently, Time Capsules are $299 for one terabyte and $499 for two terabytes. They want to get an entry price below $200, so either the one-terabyte will drop to $199, or they will introduce a half-terabyte for $199. Every $100 over that doubles in storage. They will also want you to buy Lion, which will be $79. iOS 5 will be free but not go back farther than iPhone 3GS. He will not be asking us to buy into a subscription plan except, perhaps, for an modest annual subscription for simple (only) backup of your stuff to the data center ($20 per 100 gigs of data).

The new time capsules, and iCloud, will be available immediately. IOS 5 will come out in July, and Lion will come out in September.

Who will perform a song at the end of the keynote?

Someone very, very boring.

toddybody
Jun 6, 2011, 08:17 AM

Yeah, but its Apple's MO. Take something that exists and cultivate it into a great consumer product/experience. Im sure it will be popular and useful to some...I just cant find any personal value based on all the rumors. Well see soon enough though:)

samcraig
Jun 6, 2011, 08:23 AM
Yeah, but its Apple's MO. Take something that exists and cultivate it into a great consumer product/experience. Im sure it will be popular and useful to some...I just cant find any personal value based on all the rumors. Well see soon enough though:)

Same. I have all my music stored on a hard drive (and a backup). The tracks I want/most listen to are on my iphone and/or ipad. I don't want or need access to my entire library or desire to pay for the priv. So it will really depends on what Apple offers, the price point and what benefits there truly are (for me) before I remotely get interested.

Of all the things discussed so far - it's a pass for me. The iCloud service that is. We'll see what other announcements await...

KnightWRX
Jun 6, 2011, 08:23 AM

Oh, nevermind the service, I'm just talking about the name. Usually, Apple will at least steer clear of marketing trends and "hip" buzzwords and create their own. In this case, they went with whatever everyone else was renaming their online strategies to: Cloud, which is just another name for thinclient computing.

Of course, Apple OnLine probably didn't work either seeing how you couldn't really call it AOL for short. :D

Personally, I like my "thin client" computing to be done locally, so I don't really care for the service itself.

gnasher729
Jun 6, 2011, 08:27 AM
Like I said before, you use the term "dumb down", while I'll use the word "simplify." Negative/positive spin.

Your constant negative tone is just way overblown. Try mentioning your opinion to Apple's shareholders on Apple's next fiscal conference. :rolleyes:

I prefer "make it accessible to the intended audience". Many software developers fall into the trap thinking because they spent two weeks implementing a feature and know exactly how to use it, some random end user who is not actually that interested in their software at all would be able to figure it out as well. It doesn't work that way.

Now what you call it, "dumb down" or "simplify" or "make it accessible" doesn't make one difference; the effect is that it makes the majority of users happier and therefore improves sales, especially long term.

Thomas2006
Jun 6, 2011, 08:27 AM
My last minute thoughts:

- Lion
- iOS 5
- iCloud
- Revamped MobileMe for $49/year (incl. iCloud)
- Dead iSync
- iWork '11
I think we will not see iTunes 11 until after Lion is released. It will be 64-bit and will require Snow Leopard or Lion. iTunes 10 will get a few more updates before it runs like iTunes 9 does for us Tiger users.

iWork is history because its apps will be released as individual apps in the App Store, so we will not see new versions until after Lion is released, which also means no Tiger nor Leopard support. iLife will get the same treatment so no more iWeb and iDVD, but iPhoto, iMovie, and GarageBand will still be pre-installed on new Macs. The App Store is giving Apple a clean way to drop Leopard support.

iCloud will be a system more than a single service. One part of this will be the new AirPort Extreme which will "know" what devices use it and will periodically check for updates for those devices. If updates are available, they get downloaded and installed at the user's convenience. People who are guests on the wireless network can also take advantage of this because an update is an update. This might work between computers that are within wireless range of each other. If I am using the new iTunes 11 and you still using iTunes 10, iCloud would make it possible for you to get the iTunes package from me. Apple will make it so we can decide what updates others can find and use, just like sharing is done in iTunes now.

legacyb4
Jun 6, 2011, 08:33 AM
Maybe something along the lines of a consumer level Nasuni Filer (http://www.nasuni.com/) which would be pretty slick; all the complexities of managing off-site backup (they've already taken care of local backup with Time Machine) plus the bells and whistles of the myriad of home NAS products.

Where - physically - will the cloud be?

A local cloud - Time Capsule - overcomes copyright problems (such as illegally secured music and movies) for Apple. It overcomes uploading problems for users with massive amounts of media. It overcomes frustrating, perpetual subscription fees for cloud services. (Think about how much Apple would charge you for uploading a terabyte of media that you want to be able to stream any time you'd like.) It ends the need to do a wired synch if the local cloud - again, Time Capsule - is able to automatically grab and save for you large downloads, such as operating system updates, until you are ready to have it pushed onto your iOS device. But it means your Time Capsule/Internet must always be on. It means you have to buy hardware. It doesn't get your content off-site, meaning it is more susceptible to loss, such as fire, flooding, drive failure.

If the cloud is hardware in your house - Time Capsule - then what is the purpose of Apple's massive new data center? Perhaps the data center is merely for your off-site backup, such as what Carbonite does; you can upload everything to the data center, but not stream any of it. You'd just have it backed up to there.

toddybody
Jun 6, 2011, 08:34 AM
Oh, nevermind the service, I'm just talking about the name. Usually, Apple will at least steer clear of marketing trends and "hip" buzzwords and create their own. In this case, they went with whatever everyone else was renaming their online strategies to: Cloud, which is just another name for thinclient computing.

Of course, Apple OnLine probably didn't work either seeing how you couldn't really call it AOL for short. :D

Personally, I like my "thin client" computing to be done locally, so I don't really care for the service itself.

I work in the DoD IT space, and hear "Cloud" thrown around far too much even there.
It could be remote storage and streaming, server computing (thin client relationship), or application pushing (virtualization) to some extent. I totally agree with you that its become a prominent market buzzword...and often used haphazardly.

Im not sure if "thin client" computing is an appropriate term...nobody's heard any rumor that Apple will be performing application hosting (like OnLive or something) , but we'll see.

Anyways, Im one of these 10GB of iTunes Music Library types anyways...32GB iP4 and iPad2 are never really full.

All I know is, I know nothing:)

KnightWRX
Jun 6, 2011, 08:35 AM
Now what you call it, "dumb down" or "simplify" or "make it accessible" doesn't make one difference; the effect is that it makes the majority of users happier and therefore improves sales, especially long term.

There's a difference between simplify and dumbing down. Dumbing down means removing flexibility and features in order to prevent confusion by the common denominator.

Simplify means to make those features usuable and intuitive or at the very least, easy to figure out to new, uneducated users.

There's a problem when you start equating "feature removal" with "simplify" and try to put a positive spin on it.

OptyCT
Jun 6, 2011, 08:36 AM

And everyone hated the name "iPad" when it was introduced. ;)

By naming their service "iCloud", Apple is essentially staking their claim to the "cloud". Although they didn't invent cloud computing, Apple will be forever linked as one of the early innovators of cloud computing (just like they did with the MP3 player). Apple's truly effective at refining the user experience and delivering it to the masses. That's what they do best.

blow45
Jun 6, 2011, 08:37 AM
It was both practical, and fun, when you put on timers guys.

What's with not having one on the main page today?

frankk
Jun 6, 2011, 08:37 AM
I think iCloud is the new iTunes makes sense. My use of iTunes has rather outgrown what it is capable of doing well. The way it deals with photos, Pages documents is unwieldy. I would like to be able to handle any kind of file like it does with podcasts, ie it 'remembers where you were' the last time you listened to the file on a Mac or iPod. At a system level be able to deal with documents and versions of those documents across all devices. I want to be able to tell iCloud that my document is shared, I will then find it on my Mac at work, my Mac at home, my iPad and my iPhone. Any work done on any device is tracked and the document I access is always the latest version regardless of whether I have synced my iDevice, hence the necessity for iCloud over iTunes. If I don't like any changes I've made then I should be able to Time Capsule my way back in time to the version I want regardless of the last device I used. I like the way Pages remembers where you were on a document last time you closed it (I don't think Word does this?), iCloud would take this concept much further.

kavika411
Jun 6, 2011, 08:38 AM
I'm thinking about this a bit more. Apple has to do two things. First, it has to tighten and perfect (as much as possible) the nuts and bolts of the cloud - what it is, and how it works. But, and more importantly to Apple/Jobs, it has to make it understandable. I stick with everything I said on the prior page, but will tweak it this way.

Apple is starting Stage 1 of the cloud today. Turning your home hardware - Time Capsule - into a local cloud for streaming and manipulation and ease of access. Stage 2 - and I don't know when they will actually do it/announce it/maybe today - will be cloud computing at the data center in North Carolina, where you can compute via software lodged in the data center cloud. Heck, I don't know. I just can't figure out what the data center is for if today is going to be a local cloud announcement.

d0minick
Jun 6, 2011, 08:39 AM
Concerned they won't back up your porn to the cloud?

I would love for them to have that feature. If Apple TV gets 1080P playback, boy, the misses and I won't leave the house!

kultschar
Jun 6, 2011, 08:39 AM
Hope im wrong but i have a feeling that Mobile Me is going to be Mobile Me and iCloud nothing to do with it!!

Im hoping that iCloud will introduce Mobile Me features but allow you to use your own email address / domain.

Having a me.com address is utterly useless for my business but I require Mobile Mes syncing across multiple computers and ios devices

samcraig
Jun 6, 2011, 08:40 AM
Based on the quote about thinking of iCloud as iTunes (and not mobile me) - It's very possible that Apple is getting ready to go EOL on the "iTunes" name altogether. Maybe not.

But iTunes is not "tunes" any more and hasn't been for a long time. It's a whole store of apps, movies, book and, of course, music. iCloud is more generic and encompasses it all.

I could see

iCloud Music Store
iCloud App Store
iCloud Movie Store
iCloud Book Store

etc...

bbeagle
Jun 6, 2011, 08:40 AM
There's a difference between simplify and dumbing down. Dumbing down means removing flexibility and features in order to prevent confusion by the common denominator.

Simplify means to make those features usuable and intuitive or at the very least, easy to figure out to new, uneducated users.

There's a problem when you start equating "feature removal" with "simplify" and try to put a positive spin on it.

I disagree completely.

When you simplify anything, you must reduce the steps involved. Therefore, the something must be chosen for you, thus 'removing a feature' according to you.

Please give me ONE instance of something that is 'simplified' without 'removing a feature'. Please. You gave me your definition.

KnightWRX
Jun 6, 2011, 08:41 AM
And everyone hated the name "iPad" when it was introduced. ;)

Yes, and 2 weeks earlier you had Steve Ballmer claiming all these tablet computers were called Slate, and that the industry had standardized on Slate Computing to refer to them. Apple broke the "mold" so to speak. ;)

By naming their service "iCloud", Apple is essentially staking their claim to the "cloud". Although they didn't invent cloud computing, Apple will be forever linked as one of the early innovators of cloud computing (just like they did with the MP3 player). Apple's truly effective at refining the user experience and delivering it to the masses. That's what they do best.

That's my point, Apple is about 30 years late for Cloud computing. ;) Cloud computing is not a new concept, it's a new marketing buzzword. And instead of Apple just naming their service something innovative, they went the iMarketingTerm route, which is quite bland for them, especially since they are usually marketing masters.

jouster
Jun 6, 2011, 08:42 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Which is why they are doing it. They have proved repeatedly that their expertise lies in taking poorly-executed concepts an turning them into colossal money-makers.

KnightWRX
Jun 6, 2011, 08:43 AM
I disagree completely.

When you simplify anything, you must reduce the steps involved. Therefore, the something must be chosen for you, thus 'removing a feature' according to you.

There's no need to remove features to simplify. You can easily just go with sensible defaults.

Simplify, for me, means hiding complexity, not removing it.

Please give me ONE instance of something that is 'simplified' without 'removing a feature'. Please. You gave me your definition.

OS X ? All the complexity and flexibility of Unix, yet, Grandma can use it without blinking.

kultschar
Jun 6, 2011, 08:44 AM
I'm thinking about this a bit more. Apple has to do two things. First, it has to tighten and perfect (as much as possible) the nuts and bolts of the cloud - what it is, and how it works. But, and more importantly to Apple/Jobs, it has to make it understandable. I stick with everything I said on the prior page, but will tweak it this way.

Apple is starting Stage 1 of the cloud today. Turning your home hardware - Time Capsule - into a local cloud for streaming and manipulation and ease of access. Stage 2 - and I don't know when they will actually do it/announce it/maybe today - will be cloud computing at the data center in North Carolina, where you can compute via software lodged in the data center cloud. Heck, I don't know. I just can't figure out what the data center is for if today is going to be a local cloud announcement.

Why local cloud? Just because of the other rumour article?

Cant see it being this personally as it will be a huge disappointment for mot people. Who the hell has Time Capsules? I know people have em but the percentage must be tiny!!

blow45
Jun 6, 2011, 08:46 AM
Yes, and 2 weeks earlier you had Steve Ballmer claiming all these tablet computers were called Slate, and that the industry had standardized on Slate Computing to refer to them. Apple broke the "mold" so to speak. ;)

That's my point, Apple is about 30 years late for Cloud computing. ;) Cloud computing is not a new concept, it's a new marketing buzzword. And instead of Apple just naming their service something innovation, they went the iMarketingTerm route, which is quite bland for them, especially since they are usually marketing masters.

whatever limited infrastructure for networking they had 30 or even 10 or 20 years ago, wasn't the cloud that's for sure. I don't think the cloud is marketing speak, it is a buzzword for sure, but it's not a vapid one, like say web 2.0 (and a silly one for that matter). It means a lot because this cloud, this incarnation of networking with very fast internet servers that aggregate mail too, and sync, is indeed something novel, despite sharing common heritage with other networking technologies.

jclardy
I think the iCloud is going to be more than just off-site backup and "local" streaming from a TimeCapsule.

Apple has the opportunity to create a "continuous client" with their iOS and Mac computing devices.

Think about it...many apps cross over from mac to iPad/iPhone. But to keep these in sync the app has to implement some kind of sync technology, probably local over wifi.

With the iCloud they could release an API that allows a developer to sync a database to the cloud, or sync a users documents directory to the cloud. Work on a Pages document on your mac, put it to sleep and add a few edits on the train all without even thinking about syncing as the system does it automatically.

I could be completely wrong, but this is what I am hoping for.

Now there are a few issues though, one being every carrier moving to tiered data plans which would mean images/videos wouldn't be automatically uploaded. Maybe items of a certain size would wait until you have a wifi connection.

Then there is the music streaming part. Some people are guessing that it will require a time capsule, but I don't think so. If that were the case then they wouldn't have had to make all the deals with the music labels, as people can already stream their music from a local machine to the internet with services like Orb.

But I am pretty excited to see what comes about...

KamuiVII
anyone know if Jobs keynote will be streamed ? :confused:

smc333
Jun 6, 2011, 08:47 AM
MobileMe should be like my American Express card.

I'm happy to pay $25 a year for a superior service, one with a better appearance (See me.com vs live.com or hotmail.com), such as for my Zync card. But $125 a year/$100 a year for MobileMe and a Gold Amex is too much for not enough benefit.

blow45
Jun 6, 2011, 08:48 AM
Why local cloud? Just because of the other rumour article?

Cant see it being this personally as it will be a huge disappointment for mot people. Who the hell has Time Capsules? I know people have em but the percentage must be tiny!!

As we 've said countless times here the time capsules (if they retain the name) will be used as a buffer to the cloud, to preload, to sync later, etc. etc. This is both a very clever and a very simple way to optimize cloud storage when you lack, a. the speed, and b. the ample space.

It will be great if they do this, but few people realize this now so they doth protest too much as per usual before launches.

toddybody
I disagree completely.

This happens all the time. Its called "innovation". Reducing steps doesn't equate to reducing capabilities. UI's are a great example of how computing has been simplified while not removing any features of the preexisting system...I can still navigate Windows via command prompt (If I were a glutton for punishment)

Joshwawilson
I hope iOS 5 is a complete overhaul of iOS, is like to see something like with jailbroken devices where you can completely edit the layout of icons

Madonepro
Jun 6, 2011, 08:52 AM
All these great wifi syncing features, but useless if your cellular and broadband/cable providers cannot provide adequate services.

I'm lucky to be able to get a good enough connection to update address book!

blow45
Jun 6, 2011, 08:53 AM
these last effing hours feel longer than the past months we had to wait, lol.:)

I am very excited about today, not one but two major os releases revealed, as well as the major addition of the cloud, and the wild card of some new hardware too.