Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A likely mockup of iOS 5 posted by TechCrunch​
On the night before the 2011 WWDC Keynote, things have been relatively quiet. Those attending WWDC are naturally excited by the prospect of Apple's announcements and everyone is speculating about what Apple could announce. The first person got in line for the WWDC keynote at 1pm Sunday, while everyone else seems to be debating exactly how early to get in line. At present there seem to be about 30 people in line (photo) as of 11pm Pacific.

The image above is what we believe to simply be a mockup of what iOS 5's notifications may look like. It was posted by TechCrunch who later said that they've heard it's the "right idea".

DaringFireball's John Gruber has posted his thoughts about Monday's event but seems to know very little for certain. The most tantalizing quote he offers, but also one that he describes as fourth hand information is as follows:
Don’t think of iCloud as the new MobileMe; think of iCloud as the new iTunes.
Gruber describes the possibility where instead of taking an iOS device and syncing it to your computer, all the data is synced to iCloud. This would finally relinquish the need for a PC/Mac sync for new iOS devices. He goes on with other wishes for iOS but admits its not based on any inside knowledge.

Interestingly, we've heard that a few Apple employees have been genuinely excited about tomorrow's announcements. The keynote kicks off at 10am Pacific / 1pm Eastern on Monday and we'll provide live coverage here.

Article Link: Last Minute Thoughts on iCloud, iOS 5 as Keynote Line Begins

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
I am not that excited about this year.

iCloud will likely be extremely buggy at the start, whatever it does (kind of like MobileMe was).

We already know the "main deal" about Lion and just like when they did this with Leopard, nothing much was added at WWDC.

iOS 5 might be interesting, but likely won't be available to the masses for a while.

"meh"

Hopefully they'll be "one more thing"!

This is not to say that I will not watch every second of the keynote as it unfolds :)

Kauai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2010
Revamped iOS plox. Widgets and better notification.

Anything less and I'll seriously be considering a Galaxy Tab (I currently own and love my iPad 2).

TheAppleGeek

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2010
St. Louis
I'm looking forward to tomorrow, but I am not as excited for it as I was last year. Still, I am highly intrigued for the iCloud and iOS 5 announcements.

Worf

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Queshy said:
I am not that excited about this year.

iCloud will likely be extremely buggy at the start, whatever it does (kind of like MobileMe was).

We already know the "main deal" about Lion and just like when they did this with Leopard, nothing much was added at WWDC.

iOS 5 might be interesting, but likely won't be available to the masses for a while.

"meh"

Hopefully they'll be "one more thing"!

This is not to say that I will not watch every second of the keynote as it unfolds

Of course it'll be buggy because it'll be in beta so only devs will be able to have access to it.

I really hope if Apple does go by the notification mock-up that it's like Android's pull down style and that notifications stack for each app so it doesn't get convoluted and crowded.

Also I find it important to note that John Gruber says MobileMe isn't = iCloud. So they'll be two separate entities? I really want to sign up for MobileMe or whatever it is called this year if they have improved it enough.

On the software end of things, this seems as exciting a year as any for WWDC. Also possibly a new MBA with Sandy Bridge might be released. Tomorrow's gonna be interesting.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
The picture reminds me of the twitter quick bar, which has now been removed from the twitter iPhone app.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Gruber describes the possibility where instead of taking an iOS device and syncing it to your computer, all the data is synced to iCloud. This would finally relinquish the need for a PC/Mac sync for new iOS devices.

Yes, you wouldn't need a real computer anymore. And yes, you would be 100% dependent on Apple and their terms of use.

The folks who have been asking who would want a Google Chromium tablet should also ask who's going to want an Apple iOS device that is (exclusively) linked to an Apple cloud "service".

I am very, very skeptical of Apple's iCloud. That company enjoys censorship and tight control over the "user experience" way too much.

prospereagle92

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
I really hope that they start the back to school special tomorrow...I want to get my MBP w/ a free iPod already!

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
This image shows basically nothing.

It shows a new Camera icon, twitter integration, and a new look to the menubar (is it translucent like OS X, or grey?) but other than that, basically nothing!

TechCrunch said "at the very least, we're hearing right idea." I think it might be real. Why would someone bother to update the camera icon? It's weird that the notification text is in Myriad though.

Žalgiris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Lithuania
Yes, you wouldn't need a real computer anymore. And yes, you would be 100% dependent on Apple and their terms of use.

The folks who have been asking who would want a Google Chromium tablet should also ask who's going to want an Apple iOS device that is (exclusively) linked to an Apple cloud "service".

I am very, very skeptical of Apple's iCloud. That company enjoys censorship and tight control over the "user experience" way too much.

Tell me when weren't you skeptical … Also get a clue for once and stop spreading BS.

NickFalk

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2004
iCloud == the new iTunes.

This makes perfect sense! It would mean liberating all the iDevices from the need to ever hook up to a computer. People with modest computing needs could just get an iPad and that's it.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Tell me when weren't you skeptical … Also get a clue for once and stop spreading BS.
You like telling people to 'get a clue' without ever uttering an intelligent sentence. Strange creature, aren't you.

Žalgiris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Lithuania
People with modest computing needs could just get an iPad and that's it.

Not just these people, but all people i think. If i can just turn my just unboxed iPad on and sync it, well it beats connecting it to the Mac and setting iTunes hands down imho.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere

I know I wouldn't. Even if I wanted to trust a company like Apple to hold all of my information, I live in a rural area where the Internet is too slow to use any cloud services if I actually wanted them. Maybe in 10 years, but for now not everyone has fast enough Internet. However if they offered wireless syncing over my home wifi network that would be awesome.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
I hope the notification reminders replaces the Spotlight screen not the first page of apps.

Leave the search field at the top, but only activate the keyboard if I tap that cell. Or if I tap another cell that allows text replies.

Also really hoping that the notification model changes to let me choose the priority of the App notifications instead of the style. The higher the priority the more intrusive the note is.

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
No kidding, a few Apple employees are excited, huh?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.