Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
CNET reveals that Apple intends to stop users of the recently released hack PyMusique by now requiring users who wish to access the iTMS to be using version 4.7 of iTunes.

"The security hole in the iTunes Music Store which was recently exploited has been closed, and as a consequence the iTunes Music Store will now sell music only to customers using iTunes version 4.7," the company said in a statement.

According to CNET, users of PyMusique are still able to preview songs in the iTMS, but are no longer able to purchase music. An Apple spokeswoman declined to comment on whether the company is considering legal action on the issue.

MP2

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2005
I'm not surprised.

That seemed very fast of Apple to fix that poblem.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Who saw THAT coming a mile away?

They didn't respond as quickly as I thought they would. Is there any reason for people to use below 4.7, I wonder? If so, sucks for them... they can thank DVD Jon.

LEgregius

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2003
Virginia
I'm a little upset, though, that Apple blocked out older versions of iTunes. That means that people who may have agreed to the old terms but didn't like the newer iTunes terms (7 cds but 5 computers), can now no longer buy music. It also forces an upgrade. It's fairly acceptable since the new terms really are better and the upgrade is free, but it still makes me sad since I would have ended up with no recourse if I accepted the old license but not the new one.

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
DavidLeblond said:

They didn't respond as quickly as I thought they would. Is there any reason for people to use below 4.7, I wonder? If so, sucks for them... they can thank DVD Jon.

Some people just don't care about new versions. According to this article http://playlistmag.com/news/2005/03/21/ituneshole/index.php
15% of all iTunes users still use versions older than 4.7

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
LEgregius said:
I'm a little upset, though, that Apple blocked out older versions of iTunes. That means that people who may have agreed to the old terms but didn't like the newer iTunes terms (7 cds but 5 computers), can now no longer buy music. It also forces an upgrade. It's fairly acceptable since the new terms really are better and the upgrade is free, but it still makes me sad since I would have ended up with no recourse if I accepted the old license but not the new one.

Like I said, thank DVD Jon.

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
DavidLeblond said:

I wondered how aged a version of iTunes one could use and still be able to download from iTMS. If Apple has the technical ability and market-power ability to force iTMS purchasers to use the most recent version, that is a huge boost to the security of downloadable media.

This is the kind of thing Apple can show to financial analyst as a failsafe mechanism that is extremely effective in shutting down hacks and loopholes.

As Mac continues to grow its market share and as OS X becomes a more attractive target for hackers, I hope Apple will be able to expand required updating to OS X. I don't know that I want Apple requiring me to update every application to be able to use it at all, but it would be great for security issues.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Good and quick move by Apple, but I'm afraid it's not a lasting solution. I guess it won't be that big a problem for PyMusique to spoof an iTunes 4.7 identification. So unless Apple actually changes their whole DRM scheme, I guess "PR Jon" and others just gonna crack it again fairly soon...

Well the new "copyright" law, which is soon(?) to be passed here in Norway, will (even if it has its shortcomings) either stop "PR Jon", or send him in exile to China or somewhere else where copyright laws are non-existent...

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
hob said:
It's their #1 source of revenue? (well, that and the iPod...!) isn't it?

Actually, iTMS is just above break-even. It is a vessel to sell iPods, and in turn, Macs. Right now, iPods are the single highest in net sales and I think also pretty good on gross margin.

But I'm glad they closed the hole. I like the iTMS. My only gripe is a small one-- to play protected songs I legally purchased on something not FairPlay enabled I must rip it to CD and re-import. Lame. But, that's the price I pay and it's an acceptable trade off for all the convienience.

jcook793

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
Frobozz said:
My only gripe is a small one-- to play protected songs I legally purchased on something not FairPlay enabled I must rip it to CD and re-import. Lame. But, that's the price I pay and it's an acceptable trade off for all the convienience.
I think I would be more accepting if I could re-download already-purchased tracks in the event of data loss. I still use iTunes some, but I tend to stick with CDs for the built-in backup feature (and the higher quality).

Maestro64

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2005
Philadelphia
LEgregius said:

Hmm, I have multiply versions of iTunes running on my computer depending on what I am trying to do. Since new versions of itunes disable various things like music sharing to all computer. I just use the older version to do what I want. Yes it is pain but as long as the still work.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
limulus said:
What grounds do they have to sue on?

I don't know, that's up to Apple Legal to decide. I'm sure they could come up with something if they felt it was necessary to do so.

Maestro64

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2005
Philadelphia
The real question is what was DVD Jon thinking, did he not think they would close the door on him. Gee, i am doing something that Apple my not like, so lets tell the world about it and see if Apple rolls over and plays dead.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
Aha, so that's why it asked me to upgrade before I could add something to my shopping cart from the PC. I only use the PC when I have to (like when the wife's using the Mac ;)) so I never bothered to upgrade it from iTunes 4.5. Then yesterday I had to, guess it was just as well that I finally got up to date there.

Well, good for Apple. While I don't like DRM, it's a compromise I'm willing to make for the convenience of digital downloads. Exploits such as this always run the risk of the record companies demanding more restrictive DRM or simply pulling out of the digital market entirely. Don't want that! :eek:

katanna

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Frobozz said:
Actually, iTMS is just above break-even...

I don't care what Apple says... you can't sell, what is it now, 3 million songs and just break even.
They have to be making money from it.
(this is my opinion, I know you are not going to agree, but don't try to convince me otherwise)

Matthew

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.