PDA

View Full Version : G5, LED and a click, but no start

ilazria
Jun 6, 2011, 10:51 AM
I have a G5 and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth fixing or should I just sell it for parts? When I press the power button there's a click and the LED on the front flashes on, once, then turns off. That's all that happens. No other noise, no flashing of lights, nada. There is the faintest hint of a smell after trying to turn it on.

I've tried resetting the PRAM, PMU, and a trick I saw in another post about taking out the battery, turning it on, then putting the battery back in. The results are all the same.

Any clue as to what is broken? I imagine it's not the power supply, since I do get the click and the light. I could be wrong about that, though. I'd like to at least figure out what is broken so I can get the most out of it if I sell it.

Also, if I do sell it, what is a reasonable price?

burnout8488
Jun 6, 2011, 11:06 AM
What model G5?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powermac_G5#Product_revision_history

Try removing the video card, then trying to start. Disconnect additional devices to further troubleshoot if the videocard does not change anything. (Hard drives, RAM)

bbh1031
Jun 7, 2011, 01:45 PM
From my experience, this is a power supply failure. Even though you are getting a small light from the front LED, it just does not have enough power to turn on the rest of the computer. I could be wrong but I've replaced about 20 power supplies in these G5's so far, and my small shop has only been open a year :)

Destro1200
Jun 7, 2011, 03:31 PM
@ilazria - did you have any luck? Same thing just happened to my machine on Monday.

Destro1200
Jun 7, 2011, 05:20 PM
I found this thread and I'm going to try it tonight. I'll post results.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=637619&highlight=power+supply

bizzle
Jun 8, 2011, 06:24 AM
I had a single 1.8 (the crappy education model) that would do this. I punched the power supply and it worked fine after that. If you moved it around it would do it again, so I'd punch it again.

burnout8488
Jun 8, 2011, 10:25 AM
I had a single 1.8 (the crappy education model) that would do this. I punched the power supply and it worked fine after that. If you moved it around it would do it again, so I'd punch it again.

:D Has anyone ever determined the exact failure point in these powersupplies? Like, can they be repaired if a cap is replaced?

bizzle
Jun 8, 2011, 02:15 PM
:D Has anyone ever determined the exact failure point in these powersupplies? Like, can they be repaired if a cap is replaced?

I am guessing with my particular issue, its probably a bad solder point on the PCB. I'd imaging you could just reflow all the points on the bottom and it would resolve. I didn't bother because that machine is completely useless, working on not. I use it as a foot stool, doesn't need to work for that purpose.

Destro1200
Jun 8, 2011, 02:41 PM
I found this thread and I'm going to try it tonight. I'll post results.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=637619&highlight=power+supply

None of the above suggestions have worked for me. I think I have a dead PSU.

bbh1031
Jun 10, 2011, 01:33 PM
I have a 450w acbel power supply I ordered off eBay, it should be arriving today. My old power supply was still working but sounded weird so I ordered the new one. I ended up cleaning out the old one and it works fine now. (Not saying that cleaning a dead power supply will revive it :) mine just sounded weird.) I'd sell it to you for $60 total including shipping if you're interested. I put it back on eBay, so I'll give you the listing if you want to get it through there. I'm trying to pay for a new video card I ordered.