PDA

View Full Version : iCloud: Handling different MobileMe and iTunes Accounts

swiftaw
Jun 6, 2011, 02:08 PM
I am sure I'm not the only one who had a MobileMe account and an iTunes account that use different AppleID's. I'm wondering how that is going to be handled by iCloud since iCloud seems to a merging of MobileMe and iTunes features.

RamboRab
Jun 6, 2011, 02:12 PM
Hey

I have 2 apple accounts. 1 for iTunes purchases and 1 for MobileMe.

If MobileMe is to become iCloud and integrate iTunes elements how would this work with the 2 accounts?

Would apple let me merge my iTunes account with my MobileMe (iCloud) account? I need to keep my @me.com email address and I don't want to lose the record of previous iTunes purchases by using MobileMe (iCloud) for iTunes.

Thanks in advance!

RamboRab
Jun 6, 2011, 02:17 PM
I'm really hoping they allow us to merge the 2 accounts. It can't be that hard. After all, you can change your iTunes account name so how hard can it be to merge the 2!

Makes things much easier with the 1 apple ID too! :)

ZGXtreme
Jun 6, 2011, 02:34 PM
I desired this the moment I joined MobileMe, why they "couldn't" do it was beyond me. One would think that meshing the iTunes info with the MM info would be a simple task. Just change the user name on the iTunes account. For some reason they acted as though it was like trying to alter a birth certificate.

RobS-UK
Jun 6, 2011, 02:55 PM
There are two of us in this household in this situation. While this has previously been a minor inconvenience it now seems to become an absolute necessity.

One thing I've noticed about the MobileMe support document that has been put up tonight is the implication that you will have to transition your account somehow (before June 30th next year). Hopefully as part of this transition process Apple will be able to sort this.

There must be lots of people in this position - after all the much discussed halo effect of the iPod means a lot of windows users who would have not had access to .Mac or mobile me coming to Mac who brought an ID with them.

kurzz
Jun 6, 2011, 04:24 PM
I'm in the same boat: 1 itunes account for music and apps, 1 for mobileme. (2 apple ids)

In fact, anyone that had an itunes account and subsequently signed up for mobile me later is in the same boat - which must be a lot of people! So far, Apple won't let us combine our itunes and mobileme accounts.

With iCloud, would I either have to pick one or the other? I'd have to give up my @me account since I certainly don't want to lose all my purchases in iTunes. :confused:

RobS-UK
Jun 6, 2011, 05:34 PM
With iCloud, would I either have to pick one or the other? I'd have to give up my @me account since I certainly don't want to lose all my purchases in iTunes. :confused:

I don't think Apple will be so naive to think that we'll all be happy losing either access to our purchases, or our email accounts (which for many people would be a pain to change). Hopefully there will be an elegant solution by the time "fall" comes around.

aresinferno
Jun 6, 2011, 07:11 PM
I am pretty sure that everyone who started using iTunes or any iDevice before MobileMe has at least two accounts. It was ridiculous that the creation of a MobileMe account automatically created a new iTunes account linked to it.

It would be a nightmare if the two can't be merged somehow. Perhaps the old MobileMe accounts can be reassigned to other iTunes accounts.

Currently I have a firstname.lastname AppleID that I use to download applications and occasionally music. As it does not use an email address as the username, it can't be used for FindMyiPhone. I also have a MobileMe account that is firstname.lastname@me.com, which has set up it's own AppleID with the e-mail as the username. I want to keep the e-mail address but also all of my purchases.

I really do not trust apple with being able to make what I want work. There must be some kind of workaround that we can use.

kurzz
Jun 6, 2011, 07:24 PM
Well considering this has been a known problem for years, I also don't have much hope Apple will let us merge accounts. Otherwise they would've done this a while ago. But who knows...they did have some surprises today.

Beaverman3001
Jun 6, 2011, 07:43 PM
I really hope they allow us to merge our iTunes accounts to our me.com address. This has been bugging me for a long time and I hope the transition period finally brings a solution or this could potentially be very annoying.

Richdmoore
Jun 6, 2011, 07:48 PM
Same here, this needs to finally get fixed.

musicman0725
Jun 6, 2011, 09:43 PM
This seems like a situation many people are in. Also, currently you can have multiple iTunes accounts authorized on one device and can sign in and out of applications (itunes, ibooks, appstore) as you wish. Hopefully iCloud integration will be smoother than the migration from .Mac to MobileMe was. One support article saying transition information will be provided at a later point obviously worries people given the issues with the previous migration. Here's to hoping we can keep popular services like iDisk and Galleries!

sonictonic
Jun 6, 2011, 10:00 PM
Same here, this needs to finally get fixed.

Ditto... Been waiting a long time for this to be addressed. I hope they finally do but I'm not holding my breath either. :rolleyes:

Madvillain
Jun 6, 2011, 11:22 PM
I use my gmail address as my Apple ID. I did this long before I ever signed up for MM. iCloud uses an @me address.

How do I change my Apple ID to my @me address (it's not as simple as just changing the address in iTunes as it's an active account).

Thanks for any help.

ZGXtreme
Jun 6, 2011, 11:27 PM
Not possible at the moment. Something Apple is going to have to address in the coming months. Send them Feedback about the issue to remind them as many others have done.

Madvillain
Jun 6, 2011, 11:30 PM
I will try, though every time I type out "MobileMe" it takes me a few hours to calm down from a complete fit of crap product rage.

:)

Redfanix
Jun 7, 2011, 02:14 AM
i have basicly same problem... i have one apple ID associated with mobileme and Slovakia AppStore and one apple ID associated with US iTunes and AppStore to buy music and apps that are US only, or are cheaper to buy with US gift cards... So, can anyone with iOS5 beta tell me how can i handle 2 itunes account with different coutries in iCloud? Till now i have iTunes on my Mac authorized to ise both iTunes accounts and on my iphone i use a lot switching from one to another account to buy or update apps...

Thanks in advance

G8AMB
Jun 7, 2011, 03:20 AM
Anybody got any ideas on this one?

I have a different account for my itunes/app store purchases than for my Mobile Me.

I started using itunes to buy music initially when I only had a PC and set up an itunes account with my own email address.

Later I bought a Mac and set up a mac.com account. At the time I remember asking if I could merge my existing account - but wasn't able to do this.

My .mac account has now obviously changed to a mobileme one.

But all this talk of icloud has me thinking that I will have to either loose my purchase history (quite a lot of money spent over the years) or loose my me.com email address.

Has anybody got any ideas what they will do?

Is anybody else in the same boat as me?

bLiss
Jun 7, 2011, 03:34 AM
Not possible at the moment. Something Apple is going to have to address in the coming months. Send them Feedback about the issue to remind them as many others have done.

I also have this issue, my gmail is my Apple ID but I have a me.com as well. I believe I read somewhere that you have to call Apple and have them make the switch, but I have procrastinated for a long time. No doubt this will be more confusing now* but considering that many, many people likely use gmail, yahoo, or anything else for their Apple ID, they'll have to have SOME kind of merge solution.

Jsingh
Jun 7, 2011, 03:39 AM
I'm on the same boat, my iTunes account is a gmail address. I have an existing .me address so i'm thinking there will be an option to merge the account names or even keep both as it is done with Facetime.

BK.
Jun 7, 2011, 03:45 AM
I've seen numerous, numerous threads already about this and I'm just a basic lurker!

A lot of people are "complaining" about having a MobileMe account and a separate Apple ID. They use their MobileMe account (name@me.com) for e-mail/contacts/calendar etc. and their separate ID for iTunes and the app store etc. (e.g. name@gmail.com, name@yahoo.com). People asking what happens when they switch to iCloud and they have two separate accounts and won't be able to use them both separately anymore. Well, perhaps I'm just being ridiculously stupid (and honestly, there is a very, very, very high chance of this! But if it helps anyone, then it is worth a shot...) but you can change your Apple ID e-mail address to any e-mail address you wish -- and have been able to for some time :confused: I've done it myself on 2/3 occasions already, months/years apart.

https://appleid.apple.com/

Click "Manage my Apple ID", login with the account you currently use for iTunes/app store etc. and then once logged in, you can change your primary e-mail address from you@aol.com or whatever your Apple ID is currently set to, to be your MobileMe ID i.e. you@me.com. A verification e-mail will be sent to your "new" e-mail address (in this case your @me.com) address and then you should be done.

Relogin to iTunes/app store etc. with your @me.com address, which is also now your Apple ID. Your purchases etc. are linked to your Apple ID account, not the actual address you type to login, so they should work fine. You should just have to relogin to iTunes etc. (It may take a few hours for the chances to propagate).

I'm NOT saying this definitely will work, and offer absolutely NO guarantee whatsoever, but -- it's worth a try. I've changed the e-mail address associated with my Apple ID numerous times and it worked fine. Used to use a @msn.com address for my Apple ID, then I upgraded to @me.com so I changed it to use that for my Apple ID, now I use Gmail so I changed it to use Gmail as my Apple ID. When iCloud comes, I'll switch back to using @me.com.

Like I said, no guarantees it will definitely work, but having changed my 'primary e-mail address' associated with my Apple ID three times in the past, i can't see what the fuss is about :p

G8AMB
Jun 7, 2011, 03:46 AM
Just been looking in the itunes help section of apple.com and it seems there is an option to update your email address for your itunes account now.

Has anybody dones this?

G8AMB
Jun 7, 2011, 03:53 AM
I have this problem too.

I have been looking at itunes help and you can update the email address for your account.

Has anyone tried changing thier itunes account to match thier mobileme email address.

Does this achieve anything?

Apollo1988
Jun 7, 2011, 03:57 AM
You don't think we have tried this?

The problem is that when you create a MobileMe account a new AppleID is made for that MobileMe account, which cannot be closed unless you close MobileMe.

You can not change the email on your other iTunes account to the @me one as it is used by another AppleID.

BK.
Jun 7, 2011, 03:59 AM
You don't think we have tried this?

The problem is that when you create a MobileMe account a new AppleID is made for that MobileMe account, which cannot be closed unless you close MobileMe.

You can not change the email on your other iTunes account to the @me one as it is used by another AppleID.

You can because I did.

I created a MobileMe account and switched my Apple ID from an @msn.com to a @me.com account. Worked just fine. Then went from @me.com to @gmail.com. Again, worked just fine.

This was about two months ago; so perhaos thing changed - try again.

Apollo1988
Jun 7, 2011, 04:00 AM
Just have, didn't work.

BK.
Jun 7, 2011, 04:00 AM
I just have again, and it worked - again.

edit: to anyone has tried it and it didn't work - was your account ever a .Mac account? How old is your account, and when was it first registered?

Apollo1988
Jun 7, 2011, 04:04 AM
I get:

"This domain name is reserved for MobileMe accounts."

You can't even add it as an alternate email as it said "Email address is already verified for another Apple ID".

If you can tell us how you closed the AppleID for your MobileMe that would help.

iammike1
Jun 7, 2011, 04:08 AM
This does not work.
http://i.imgur.com/Xr81o.png

BK.
Jun 7, 2011, 04:09 AM
I get:

"This domain name is reserved for MobileMe accounts."

You can't even add it as an alternate email as it said "Email address is already verified for another Apple ID".

If you can tell us how you closed the AppleID for your MobileMe that would help.

I never did "close" it - I never set up an Apple ID for my MobileMe - everyone says it is automatically an Apple ID, which would make sense but I had zero problems whatsoever.

I registered my @me.com account and as soon as it had registered, went to the Apple ID site and changed my e-mail address before even logging in to anything else. Like I said, it went straight through with no errors or anything!

Although you could try this: login to the Apple ID site with your @me.com address. Change your e-mail address for your @me.com Apple ID to any other address you own that isn't already an Apple ID - make up a new one if you have to. So, login and change your e-mail from @me.com to a @yahoo.com or a @gmail.com one or something for that one Apple ID. Verify that e-mail address.

Your @me.com address should no longer be attached to an Apple ID, so should be 'free' to attach. So try changing your non @me.com Apple ID to your @me.com e-mail address now and see if it works.

Yumunum
Jun 7, 2011, 04:11 AM
Wait... When you make an iCloud account, will it force you to make a NEW Apple ID? I already have an Apple ID with all my purchases. I want to have the Apple ID be connected to the iCloud account. I'm probably missing something here, so if someone could explain that would be great :)

iammike1
Jun 7, 2011, 04:11 AM
When you log in with your @me.com it does not give you an option to change your Apple ID. No Edit to click.

BK.
Jun 7, 2011, 04:22 AM
Well damn, that sucks.

I can't understand why I was able to -- and still can -- change my e-mail address freely from @msn.com, to @me.com, to @gmail.com, and then I just tested again and back to @me.com :confused: Not a single error came up any of the times, only thing I had to do was click a verification link each time.

Really weird.

Although let's try and be kinda clever about it: if you are unable to change your Apple ID to your @me.com address:

How old is your MobileMe account?
How old is your Apple ID you're trying to change?
Have you ever tried logging in to iTunes, the app store or any other things that use your Apple ID, with your @me.com address before?

I'm asking this, because as I said, I can switch to-and-from freely. My iTunes ID is about 4 years old (maybe 5) but I only registered my @me.com address in February of this year - maybe this makes a difference? Also, I have never tried logging in to anything with my @me.com address before I switched my Apple ID over. It was the first thing I did before relogging in to iTunes and app store, etc.

I'm sorry for getting people's hopes up, but it is worth a try - maybe this will work for newer accounts? Like I said, my MobileMe account was only set up in February and seems to be able to be linked to any old Apple ID.

iammike1
Jun 7, 2011, 04:24 AM
MobileMe is about 9 months old.

iTunes account is about 4 years old.

Never used my MobileMe account for anything but the me.com website and my iPhone. Never used it with any of the Apple stores.

I get the errors.

Weaselboy
Jun 7, 2011, 04:34 AM
I just have again, and it worked - again.

edit: to anyone has tried it and it didn't work - was your account ever a .Mac account? How old is your account, and when was it first registered?

It will not work.

http://i.imgur.com/kgNgF.png

This is the page I get to change account settings for the AppleID that was automatically created when I got a .Mac account. Note to the right of the AppleID there is no "edit" selection available.

For discussion let's just say this is jsmith@mac.com

http://i.imgur.com/Ptefi.png

This second screen cap is the same page for the AppleID associated with all my iTunes purchases. Note it does have the "edit" selection available beside the AppleID. Let's call this AppleID plain "jsmith." If I click to edit the AppleID and change it from jsmith to jsmith@mac.com it predictably says I can't use jsmith@mac.com because that ID is in use on another AppleID account.

As you can see there is no way to free up jsmith@mac.com so I can use it on the AppleID associated with all my iTunes purchases.

With the current iOS / MobileMe setup this is only inconvenient, but not a problem. With iCloud it looks like a problem.

Apple needs to figure out a way to fix this.

G8AMB
Jun 7, 2011, 04:53 AM
just looked at this thread an it doesn't seem to be resolved

on live chat with Apple now

the official comment:-

I can understand how you would like to do that. But AppleID's are not able to be merged.

when I asked how will I be able to use icloud I was answered with:-

That info will be released to you when iCloud is officially released. We would not have any info regarding that until it get's closer to that time.

when I asked is it worth changing my itunes account to my mobileme email address I was told:-

I would suggest to leave everything as it is.

You will get to keep both email addresses and purchase history.

RobS-UK
Jun 7, 2011, 04:54 AM
I think people here are confusing the issue.

You can associate your mobile me email address with your itunes account so that email (e.g. store receipts) from iTunes go to your MM account. What you cannot do is merge the two IDs together - they are still different accounts.
----
Example: My original iTunes account ID could have been ROBS@MYISP.COM, and the email address associated with that would also have been ROBS@MYISP.COM.

I then set up a MobileMe account. So lets say I am ****@ME.COM. I now have two AppleIDs, me.com, and the one ending @MYISP.COM.

I then want to change my iTunes account, perhaps because I no longer use MYISP.COM. I can login to iTunes, and change the email address to point to ****@ME.COM. However if I try to change the AppleID, it will throw up the duplication error, because it sees ****@ME.COM already being in use elsewhere.
------

You used to be able to change that iTunes AppleID to anything else, though I believe now you have to use an email address. A few years back I changed it from being ROBS@MYISP.COM to simply being the **** part of my MM account. As I didn't put the @me.com bit at the end, it was happy to accept this. As I say, I don't think you can do this now, and ultimately the only effect of this was to make things look cleaner, and stop my iTunes account being called something related to an email account I no longer had access to.

The issue is caused by Apple automatically making all MM accounts Apple IDs, as opposed to when you sign up to MM asking you if you had an existing AppleID and "upgrading" that (if they did do this I certainly never remember seeing it!).

For those who are confused, the issue now is that at the service level, iTunes and MM are being effectively merged (from the information Apple have given so far). So if I set up my iCloud using my ****@ME.COM then it will work with all my emails, contacts etc. But it won't see my iTunes purchase history as that is stored in a different account, so the iTunes in the cloud won't work. Similarly if I set things up using my iTunes account, then it won't see any of my emails, contacts etc.

In an ideal world Apple will now allow us to merge the two. I worry however that they may not see this as a problem, and tell us to simply stop using the old iTunes account as the iTunes purchasing account, and sync by cable all the purchased content across. Thoguh I'm not sure if iOS lets you have content from more than one AppleID on the same device at once, so that could also get messy.

Either way, it's already an issue that has irked users for quite a few years (just google it and you find threads going back years!), and its something that Apple Support have previously agreed is an issue but have offered no solution to.

The only thing we can really do is wait, though in the meantime it wouldn't hurt to submit feedback to Apple via http://www.apple.com/feedback/mobileme.html and http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html.

BK.
Jun 7, 2011, 05:17 AM
It will not work.

Image (http://i.imgur.com/kgNgF.png)

This is the page I get to change account settings for the AppleID that was automatically created when I got a .Mac account. Note to the right of the AppleID there is no "edit" selection available.

For discussion let's just say this is jsmith@mac.com

Image (http://i.imgur.com/Ptefi.png)

This second screen cap is the same page for the AppleID associated with all my iTunes purchases. Note it does have the "edit" selection available beside the AppleID. Let's call this AppleID plain "jsmith." If I click to edit the AppleID and change it from jsmith to jsmith@mac.com it predictably says I can't use jsmith@mac.com because that ID is in use on another AppleID account.

As you can see there is no way to free up jsmith@mac.com so I can use it on the AppleID associated with all my iTunes purchases.

With the current iOS / MobileMe setup this is only inconvenient, but not a problem. With iCloud it looks like a problem.

Apple needs to figure out a way to fix this.

Except in your second screenshot, not only do I see the edit link too, I can click and change it to my @me.com account -- and have done before -- with no errors. :-/

JLB-UK
Jun 7, 2011, 05:35 AM
I left some feedback on MobileMe so lets hope they resolve this issue or iCloud is going to be a nightmare to use!

RobS-UK
Jun 7, 2011, 05:40 AM
Except in your second screenshot, not only do I see the edit link too, I can click and change it to my @me.com account -- and have done before -- with no errors. :-/

Just to be 100% clear, are you talking about changing the actual Apple ID itself, and not just the email address associated with it? I'm not the person you're replying to above, but I find I can freely change the email address from my non-MobileMe to anything I want (including the @me.com address), but when I try to change the AppleID (which is basically the username) to the same username as the MobileMe (which, confusingly, has to be the email address!), it says no.

If you have managed to change that Apple ID, does this mean that you only have one AppleID? I.e you login to iTunes and Mobile Me with exactly the same details?

Tali
Jun 7, 2011, 05:45 AM
Just chatted with the support. Same answer: not possible. They said the separation would enable me to continue using iTunes whenever I cancelled MobileMe. This makes no sense at all, I can just enter a different eMail address and use that one as my appleID. I can change it from @myisp1.xy to @myisp2@xy, why can't I change it from @me.com to @whatever.com after I cancel MobileMe?

Let's hope this gets worked out, but I'm pretty sure of it. The problem is too obvious to ignore (at least I hope so)

Weaselboy
Jun 7, 2011, 06:19 AM

You are not reading what I said. I see in the second shot the AppleID can be changed. When I click edit and try to change it to jsmith@mac.com for example, it says I can't because jsmith@mac.com is already in use as an AppleID on the first account.

Just to be 100% clear, are you talking about changing the actual Apple ID itself, and not just the email address associated with it?

If you have managed to change that Apple ID, does this mean that you only have one AppleID? I.e you login to iTunes and Mobile Me with exactly the same details?

Yes. We are talking about changing the AppleID itself, not the email address associated with it. The idea being you would have only one AppleID to use for MobileMe and iTunes.

RobS-UK
Jun 7, 2011, 07:28 AM
Yes. We are talking about changing the AppleID itself, not the email address associated with it. The idea being you would have only one AppleID to use for MobileMe and iTunes.

Sorry, my comment was not directed to you - I understand what we are talking about, but I wondered if BK was talking about precisely the same thing.

I worry that this will only cause bigger headaches as we move towards "fall".

aussie_geek
Jun 7, 2011, 08:01 AM
I left some feedback on MobileMe so lets hope they resolve this issue or iCloud is going to be a nightmare to use!

I just made a thread with the feedback link:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1165338

Let Apple know your frustrations. People!!

JLB-UK
Jun 7, 2011, 08:42 AM
Ongoing issue, I guess

A thread on Apple's Support Forum with the same problems

https://discussions.apple.com/message/15356749

Lets hope Apple listens

iggypod
Jun 7, 2011, 08:53 AM
I agree we should voice feedback.

These same questions/issues have been ongoing for YEARS. One would certainly hope this is somehow addressed with iCloud. Hey, even a KB article for now would help.

No matter what :apple: forum I visit, they all seem to be asking about how the apple ids will play together, work with iCloud, transfer from MoMe id etc.

So many questions, so few answers at this point.

jive turkey
Jun 7, 2011, 08:59 AM
Like an idiot, I decided to play around with it. I signed out of my iTunes account and signed in using my MobileMe credentials. A few minutes later my MM account received an email saying, "Your Apple ID has been successfully created." I thought my MobileMe stuff WAS an Apple ID? Now I probably screwed up any chance of merging info. :(

Regardless, I downloaded an app to see if it would sync while I was charging, and it didn't. I also subscribed to a new podcast hoping that would work (since "free" content should sync as well), and it did not. BUT an app I download on my iPhone did go to iTunes and grouped right with all the apps I had gotten with my original ID.

In other words, I have no clue. :confused: :)

Edit: I actually just got a notification telling me to turn on automatic downloads, which were already on. So screw it, I'm going back to my original ID.

RobS-UK
Jun 7, 2011, 09:22 AM
Like an idiot, I decided to play around with it. I signed out of my iTunes account and signed in using my MobileMe credentials. A few minutes later my MM account received an email saying, "Your Apple ID has been successfully created." I thought my MobileMe stuff WAS an Apple ID? Now I probably screwed up any chance of merging info. :(

I wouldn't think so, you're just in the same boat as the rest of us. Although I have never used my MobileMe account for purchasing or downloading anything (even free apps/songs). But I wouldn't think that even that would effect things - one would hope Apple couldn't make this mess even worse! :rolleyes:

I'd stick with my original IDs for the purposes for which I am using them for the time being. Ultimately, it will be Apple's decision as to how they deal with this, and while we can offer feedback, its up to them whether they decide this is a big enough issue to act upon!

DotCom2
Jun 7, 2011, 11:44 AM
PEOPLE! STOP PANICING! Threre are hundreds of thousands of people like me who had Apple ID accounts for years and then one day decided to sign up for MobileMe with a MobileMe email address and have different Apple ID and mobile me accounts. Apple knows this and will come up with a solution. Apple is not gonna let people lose all their purchases. Get real people. It was just announced yesterday and still has months to go before going live. JUST HANG ON A BIT! SHEESH!

VulchR
Jun 7, 2011, 01:48 PM
The iCloud is falling, the iCloud is falling...

http://disney-clipart.com/Chicken-Little/Disney-Chicken-Little-Sky-Falling.jpg

boston04and07
Jun 7, 2011, 02:10 PM
PEOPLE! STOP PANICING! Threre are hundreds of thousands of people like me who had Apple ID accounts for years and then one day decided to sign up for MobileMe with a MobileMe email address and have different Apple ID and mobile me accounts. Apple knows this and will come up with a solution. Apple is not gonna let people lose all their purchases. Get real people. It was just announced yesterday and still has months to go before going live. JUST HANG ON A BIT! SHEESH!

Now that I've thought about it a bit I agree. It'd be so outlandish of them to force people who paid for both iTunes purchases and .me email addresses choose between the two when iCloud comes out of beta. I know MM wasn't the most successful venture by them but they still had enough people sign up in order to make this a widespread issue.

The thing is, most MM users were already the hardcore Mac users to begin with. Why they thought these people wouldn't already have iTunes Apple ID's in the first place, and therefore decided make new iTunes Apple ID's with new MM accounts, is beyond me.

In any event I still think it's a good idea for us all to send feedback to Apple, just in case.

BK.
Jun 7, 2011, 05:37 PM
You are not reading what I said. I see in the second shot the AppleID can be changed. When I click edit and try to change it to jsmith@mac.com for example, it says I can't because jsmith@mac.com is already in use as an AppleID on the first account.

Nope, I read it clear. I just never got that error ever. Nothing about it being in use at all, it let me change it like it did any other e-mail address. And then login and use it, as I would any other Apple ID, - again, with no errors.

I'm not saying it works. I'm saying it worked for me a few months ago.

Seriously - this is petty stuff. I really wouldn't bother lying about something a) so out of the blue and random and b) small/non-major.

Weaselboy
Jun 7, 2011, 06:01 PM
Seriously - this is petty stuff. I really wouldn't bother lying about something a) so out of the blue and random and b) small/non-major.

I never meant to imply you were lying, just saying it won't work for me. :D

Nanker/Phelge
Jun 8, 2011, 07:44 AM

+1...I've got a feeling they'll finally allow you to merge/transfer purchases once iCloud is available. Half the reason I signed up for MM was to reserve my user name for the new service...lets hope I'm right but only time will tell.

Fiesta
Jun 9, 2011, 12:25 AM
+1...I've got a feeling they'll finally allow you to merge/transfer purchases once iCloud is available. Half the reason I signed up for MM was to reserve my user name for the new service...lets hope I'm right but only time will tell.

Fingers crossed...

rowley
Jun 9, 2011, 08:08 AM
Im sure there will be a way to merge in the near future. I've tried several ways, to no joy.

I will wait and see, I'm sure it'll be posted here when it's possible.

Carniphage
Jun 9, 2011, 11:02 AM
Im sure there will be a way to merge in the near future. I've tried several ways, to no joy.

I will wait and see, I'm sure it'll be posted here when it's possible.

Merging is not needed.

We just need some way of transferring a MobileMe email address into the iCloud account. I am hoping Apple will give us a way to do that.

C.

d21mike
Jun 9, 2011, 11:10 AM
Merging is not needed.

We just need some way of transferring a MobileMe email address into the iCloud account. I am hoping Apple will give us a way to do that.

C.
Someone else posted this. I think the current iCloud is for beta testing and you can't use your MobileMe Account ID, but when they are ready you will simply do an upgrade. Of course when you are ready to drop MobileMe which you would have to do it before June 2012.

https://www.me.com/upgrade/

Carniphage
Jun 9, 2011, 11:14 AM
Someone else posted this. I think the current iCloud is for beta testing and you can't use your MobileMe Account ID, but when they are ready you will simply do an upgrade. Of course when you are ready to drop MobileMe which you would have to do it before June 2012.

https://www.me.com/upgrade/

Upgrading is the last thing I want. My paid content is associated with one (non-mobile me) Apple ID. My MobileMe account is just for email and syncing.

So I want to base my iCloud identity on my iTunes ID - and instead of creating a new MobileMe address - use my existing one.

C.

d21mike
Jun 9, 2011, 11:32 AM
Upgrading is the last thing I want. My paid content is associated with one (non-mobile me) Apple ID. My MobileMe account is just for email and syncing.

So I want to base my iCloud identity on my iTunes ID - and instead of creating a new MobileMe address - use my existing one.

C.
I see. Since I share my iTunes ID with my wife for buying music and apps and movies I do not want to use it as my email account as well. For me I want to keep the two separate. Anyway, there is a option for "coping content" out of MobileMe into iCloud. The page that documents this is in the Developer Web Site. There are multiple ways to do it. I.E. From MAC OS LION or from an iOS Device. Not difficult to do but for me I want to keep them separate anyway so I will do the Upgrade.

Carniphage
Jun 9, 2011, 11:41 AM
Since I share my iTunes ID with my wife for buying music and apps and movies I do not want to use it as my email account as well.

As I understand it, iOS permits non iCloud email accounts alongside the iCloud one.

You and your wife could both have the same iCloud logon, and retain different email addresses. But unless you want to share calendars and contacts with your wife, you'll have to find other services.

C.

d21mike
Jun 9, 2011, 12:02 PM
As I understand it, iOS permits non iCloud email accounts alongside the iCloud one.

You and your wife could both have the same iCloud logon, and retain different email addresses. But unless you want to share calendars and contacts with your wife, you'll have to find other services.

C.
Until it is finally released it is hard to be absolutely sure. But I think my iCloud ID will be used for ALL of my personal stuff (not just email). As it is shown in another tread that you can have a Primary iCloud ID and a Secondary iCloud ID but you can only Sync Bookmarks and do Photo Streaming with your Primary iCloud ID. This was the first that I heard of Primary and Secondary. However, I feel these CAN be separate from your iTunes Store ID where your purchased content comes from. This is the only "Shared Account ID" that I would have. My wife and I would want to keep "everything" else separate like we do now with MobileMe. We do Share a Calendar but that was created my me and I added her MobileMe ID as Authorized to update it.

I assume you are already reading this tread but if not I recommend it:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1165858

Carniphage
Jun 9, 2011, 12:10 PM
This was the first that I heard of Primary and Secondary.

Me too. Didn't realise that. So I could have my MobileMe account upgraded to an iCloud account - and retain both my paid content and my email address.

I'm happy now.

But I suspect people who share AppleID identities with others to share paid content might be a bit less happy.

C.

ArmanUV
Jun 9, 2011, 05:07 PM
I'm in the exact same situation as you guys are but I don't understand the obsession of merging the two accounts. it'd definitely be nice if apple allowed merging the accounts but even if they don't, it isn't going to affect anything. iCloud and iTunes in the Cloud are different services for different purposes and can be tied to different apple IDs.
iTunes in the cloud, which is available right now on ios 5 bata and ios 4.3, allows OTA updates for music, apps and books. This is tied to the account you use for itunes store purchases, and it can be configured on the iphone in Settings>Store menu as you can see in this screenshot (my apple ID is for the canadian itunes store which doesn't enable music sync in the beta stage).

http://f.cl.ly/items/0d0R2h1e1m0d2r0k313m/itunes.PNG

iCloud, however, is for mail, contacts, calendars, reminders, find my iphone and mac, photo stream, OTA daily backups and documents. It can be tied to a different apple ID than itunes in the cloud, and will be available in fall. on the iphone, there is a separate section in the Settings app for setting it up:

http://f.cl.ly/items/3N3l0D3T2y2O2H0V1x1H/icloud.PNG

So unless you have an ocd to keep everything nice and clean, stop panicking.

PS: This is the current setup I have on ios 5 beta:

iCloud> Apple ID: email@gmail.com (personal gmail account) > Photostream, Reminders, Backups
Mobileme> Apple ID: mobileme@me.com (mobileme account) > Mail, Contacts, Calanders, Notes, Find my iPhone, Bookmarks
iTunes Store: Apple ID : appleid (shared with my family) > OTA download of purchased apps, musics and books

When iCloud goes official, my mobileme account will switch over to iCloud, which allows me to delete the icloud account tied to my gmail address and use the ported @me.com address for everything except itunes in the cloud and itunes match which I'll be sharing with my family.

MobiusStrip
Jun 22, 2011, 04:50 AM
Talk about amateur hour. Even the lamest bulletin-board site allows users to set up legitimate IDs. You don't see banks or other secure sites using E-mail addresses for user IDs.

More Apple "elegance."

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5272/5859225297_e43442ac7f_b.jpg

I don't understand the obsession of merging the two accounts. it'd definitely be nice if apple allowed merging the accounts but even if they don't, it isn't going to affect anything.

Not true at all. There are numerous defects in iTunes and content management on the phone that occur when items are purchased with multiple accounts.

First, iTunes will tell you that several of your apps have updates, but when you go to the updates page, it'll say that there are no updates available. It also won't show you the accounts under which the various items were purchased.

Second, if you are entitled to a free app update, your phone will claim that you don't own the product in the first place (despite it being right there on your phone). This occurs even if you're just updating from your phone, not iTunes.

Then there's the endless series of dialog boxes and prompts that occur when iTunes terms of service change and you have to re-acknowledge them for every app and every account.

It needs to be fixed.

deefer68
Jun 22, 2011, 07:57 AM
What we really need is a way to transfer purchases to another account.
If I buy a CD i then have the option of selling it as a second hand CD in the future.
With ITunes, there is not this option. Why shouldn't I be allowed to sell / give away items I have purchased?

d21mike
Jun 22, 2011, 09:12 PM
what we really need is a way to transfer purchases to another account.
If i buy a cd i then have the option of selling it as a second hand cd in the future.
With itunes, there is not this option. Why shouldn't i be allowed to sell / give away items i have purchased?
+1

rowley
Jun 23, 2011, 01:19 AM
Resale of apps is not relevant in this conversation.

If icloud needs one username for the PDA aspect, and the iTunes ID for the app/music synching then so be it.

New users to the system will have one account I suspect, but us users who have been on the apple books for years (me since 2004), will just have to add another username and password in. I thought this was going to be a big deal, but it's not anymore.
No kittens have been killed because of this and your family is not being threatened.
Keep calm and carry on.

d21mike
Jun 23, 2011, 09:27 AM
Resale of apps is not relevant in this conversation.

If icloud needs one username for the PDA aspect, and the iTunes ID for the app/music synching then so be it.

New users to the system will have one account I suspect, but us users who have been on the apple books for years (me since 2004), will just have to add another username and password in. I thought this was going to be a big deal, but it's not anymore.
For me it would be a big problem if you could only have 1 for everything. My wife and I share all of out iTunes purchases. We have our own MM AppleId for everything else. If I had to use my iTunes ID for everything then I would have re-purchase everything that my wife wanted from our iTunes Account.

ArmanUV
Jun 24, 2011, 04:32 AM
Not true at all. There are numerous defects in iTunes and content management on the phone that occur when items are purchased with multiple accounts.

First, iTunes will tell you that several of your apps have updates, but when you go to the updates page, it'll say that there are no updates available. It also won't show you the accounts under which the various items were purchased.

Second, if you are entitled to a free app update, your phone will claim that you don't own the product in the first place (despite it being right there on your phone). This occurs even if you're just updating from your phone, not iTunes.

Then there's the endless series of dialog boxes and prompts that occur when iTunes terms of service change and you have to re-acknowledge them for every app and every account.

you are NOT using multiple IDs for itunes store purchases. You are using ONE SINGLE ID for purchasing apps, music and books thru App Store, iTunes and iBooks. All of your purchases are tied to a single ID, the one you had always been using. you will be using ANOTHER SINGLE ID for icloud services such as mail, contacts, calanders, backups and photostream. These two IDs do NOT need to be the same.
I'm sorry but I can't explain it any clearer.

pikeville21
Jun 24, 2011, 02:07 PM
For those of us concerned about music purchased on an old iTunes account, would it be possible to use iTunes Match to migrate that music to our new MobileMe/iCloud account? Of course, this solution would make keeping Apps more difficult, but it could be ideal for those wanting to merge accounts.

kurzz
Jun 24, 2011, 02:11 PM
For those of us concerned about music purchased on an old iTunes account, would it be possible to use iTunes Match to migrate that music to our new MobileMe/iCloud account?

This is only speculation at this point but I would think that no you can't "migrate" it. You can listen to the music you match with iTunes Match as long as you pay the yearly fee. As soon as you stop paying, the songs you purchased under a different iTunes account would not be re-downloadable again. Again, just speculating.

kurzz
Jun 24, 2011, 02:14 PM
And so, it seems for now our question about account merging has been answered.

According to the new, Transition Guide from Apple (http://www.apple.com/mobileme/transition.html),

If I use different accounts for iTunes and MobileMe, can I merge them into a single account and use it with iCloud?
No. You cannot merge two accounts into one. However, you will be able to move your MobileMe account (yourname@me.com) to iCloud and, if you choose, you can continue to use a different iTunes account for store purchases and iTunes in the Cloud.

So, we'll have to live with a separate iCloud account and iTunes account.
Though, apparently we can still use both at the same time on our iDevices (the same way it is done right now on ios 4).

Casiotone
Jun 24, 2011, 09:27 PM
And so, it seems for now our question about account merging has been answered.

According to the new, Transition Guide from Apple (http://www.apple.com/mobileme/transition.html),

If I use different accounts for iTunes and MobileMe, can I merge them into a single account and use it with iCloud?
No. You cannot merge two accounts into one. However, you will be able to move your MobileMe account (yourname@me.com) to iCloud and, if you choose, you can continue to use a different iTunes account for store purchases and iTunes in the Cloud.

----

So, we'll have to live with a separate iCloud account and iTunes account.
Though, apparently we can still use both at the same time on our iDevices (the same way it is done right now on ios 4).

This is good news.

It seems to address the problem people were afraid of. You won't have to choose between your iTunes and mobileMe accounts, you'll be able to use both at the same time for their respective uses. iTunes for media/apps purchases, @me.com for email and other iCloud stuff.

This is only speculation at this point but I would think that no you can't "migrate" it. You can listen to the music you match with iTunes Match as long as you pay the yearly fee. As soon as you stop paying, the songs you purchased under a different iTunes account would not be re-downloadable again. Again, just speculating.

iTunes Match is only about non-iTunes purchased tunes that would be matched and be available as iTunes versions on your iDevices. Purchased iTunes music can now be re-downloaded as much as you want even if you don't pay for iTunes Match (in fact this feature was unlocked after the keynote on iOS 4.3)

MobiusStrip
Jun 25, 2011, 05:54 PM
you are NOT using multiple IDs for itunes store purchases.

WRONG. People ARE using multiple IDs, because Apple has forced them to use E-mail addresses as IDs; and when people change E-mail addresses they set up yet another account.

Apple has allowed this defect to persist and provided no means of merging these MULTIPLE accounts. Jeez, man, read.

seeafish
Jul 4, 2011, 04:30 PM
Right, this post made me sign up to this forum! :D
Thought I'd add to the confusion and see if anyone could answer this.

I never have had MM, and always used my gmail address for my apple ID. When I initially setup the iCloud features on iOS5 beta 1, I thought I'd try and enter my.name@me.com and expected to see some kind of registration screen. Instead, the phone didn't ask for any password or anything, but simply logged me in! :S It appears it somehow setup this NEW me.com address and associated it with my existing gmail apple id.

Now, I can login to my apple id account using my.name@me.com, but it shows as my "Alternate Email"; my apple ID is still my gmail!
This seeeeeems good, but I was planning on getting rid of gmail and using me.com from now on. Doesn't seem like I can do that now, considering it's somehow magically tied them both together.

Also, I get that super frustrating "this domain is reserved for MobileMe domain" when I try to put me @me.com address as my apple ID.

Anyone got this "issue"?

shandyman
Jul 5, 2011, 04:42 PM
WRONG. People ARE using multiple IDs, because Apple has forced them to use E-mail addresses as IDs; and when people change E-mail addresses they set up yet another account.

Apple has allowed this defect to persist and provided no means of merging these MULTIPLE accounts. Jeez, man, read.

well whenever i changed my email address (3 times since the first iPhone) i just changed my apple ID at the same time, not hard.

Apple haven't allowed it to happen, people are just not thinking properly!! lol

shandyman
Jul 5, 2011, 04:49 PM
Right, this post made me sign up to this forum! :D
Thought I'd add to the confusion and see if anyone could answer this.

I never have had MM, and always used my gmail address for my apple ID. When I initially setup the iCloud features on iOS5 beta 1, I thought I'd try and enter my.name@me.com and expected to see some kind of registration screen. Instead, the phone didn't ask for any password or anything, but simply logged me in! :S It appears it somehow setup this NEW me.com address and associated it with my existing gmail apple id.

Now, I can login to my apple id account using my.name@me.com, but it shows as my "Alternate Email"; my apple ID is still my gmail!
This seeeeeems good, but I was planning on getting rid of gmail and using me.com from now on. Doesn't seem like I can do that now, considering it's somehow magically tied them both together.

Also, I get that super frustrating "this domain is reserved for MobileMe domain" when I try to put me @me.com address as my apple ID.

Anyone got this "issue"?

that's cos the iCloud server is still quite hit and miss with a me.com as apple id, leave it as Gmail until launch

seeafish
Jul 5, 2011, 06:20 PM
that's cos the iCloud server is still quite hit and miss with a me.com as apple id, leave it as Gmail until launch

Yeah it's what I was planning to do anyway.
With regards to iTunes and purchases however, I too raised a support call with apple about this. They said you can't merge bla bla bla but you can change your email/apple id to whatever you want....unless its a mobile me account =\

Now my MM account was setup using iCloud so it's not technically a MM account, but iTunes simply validates based on the @me.com and therefore doesn't let me change it. Looks like I'm stuck with using Gmail for iTunes forever! (or at least until they change this stupid way of doing things!)

seer
Jul 6, 2011, 09:23 AM
I played with this last night and it seems like there is not that much to worry about.

I have always used an X@hotmail.com appleID

Yesterday I installed the beta, and signed up using that ID. Worked fine.

Then I changed my email using the apple accounts page to my own domain i.e. X@somethingelse.com. What happened then is I could sign in with the new mail address no problem, and it added the X@hotmail.com as a secondary mail instead. I could still sign in using the hotmail address.

Then when configuring icloud on my mac, I enabled the mail option and it prompted me to pick an @me.com address and I did. Now i could sign into the same account using three different mail addresses!

Then I deleted the X@hotmail.com from the accounts page, and just as expected I can sign into iCloud, appstore, itunes store, whatever using either
X@somethingelse.com or X@me.com (but not X@hotmail.com)

So to me it seems VERY flexible... I dont think people have to worry too much.

seeafish
Jul 6, 2011, 09:30 AM
I played with this last night and it seems like there is not that much to worry about.

Then I changed my email using the apple accounts page to my own domain i.e. X@somethingelse.com. What happened then is I could sign in with the new mail address no problem, and it added the X@hotmail.com as a secondary mail instead. I could still sign in using the hotmail address.

Then when configuring icloud on my mac, I enabled the mail option and it prompted me to pick an @me.com address and I did. Now i could sign into the same account using three different mail addresses!

Then I deleted the X@hotmail.com from the accounts page, and just as expected I can sign into iCloud, appstore, itunes store, whatever using either

That's cool, however, what if you wanted to use the me.com address as your primary apple ID and don't want any secondary e-mail? Say for example you wish to get rid of your non me.com addresses and just have the sigle e-mail/apple ID? That's what I want to achieve, but can't :(

hokiepokie07
Jul 12, 2011, 10:27 AM
How would this work with my wife and me? Right now, I created us an iTunes account on gmail just for app store purchases. I just named it MyFirstName&HerFirstName@gmail.com. Would we still be able to use that to share our app store purchases and have a separate e-mail that syncs all our information separately (bookmarks, contacts, calendar, etc.)?

Thanks

d21mike
Jul 12, 2011, 10:31 AM
How would this work with my wife and me? Right now, I created us an iTunes account on gmail just for app store purchases. I just named it MyFirstName&HerFirstName@gmail.com. Would we still be able to use that to share our app store purchases and have a separate e-mail that syncs all our information separately (bookmarks, contacts, calendar, etc.)?

Thanks
Yes.

hokiepokie07
Jul 12, 2011, 10:45 AM
Yes.

How do I find my old purchases on my old gmail name? My wife just recently got an iPad from her work and I'm trying to set it up so we can share purchases. When I created an App Store only gmail account and go to purchase history, it doesn't show anything. How could I get my old purchases to it?

d21mike
Jul 12, 2011, 10:58 AM
How do I find my old purchases on my old gmail name? My wife just recently got an iPad from her work and I'm trying to set it up so we can share purchases. When I created an App Store only gmail account and go to purchase history, it doesn't show anything. How could I get my old purchases to it?
I did not understand your first post. I did not realize you had multiple accounts for iTunes Purchases. You can not "merge" accounts. Would be best to pick one and maybe rename it. You really only want 1 iTunes Account that you share between the two of you if possible. I assume you could login in to multiple (logout and login and logout and login) but that would be a real hassle. Maybe Apple will allow people to merge accounts in the future but you can't now.

hokiepokie07
Jul 12, 2011, 11:10 AM
I did not understand your first post. I did not realize you had multiple accounts for iTunes Purchases. You can not "merge" accounts. Would be best to pick one and maybe rename it. You really only want 1 iTunes Account that you share between the two of you if possible. I assume you could login in to multiple (logout and login and logout and login) but that would be a real hassle. Maybe Apple will allow people to merge accounts in the future but you can't now.

Could she still use my old apple ID and be able to have her own e-mail to sync her contacts, calendar, etc? That way, she could download all my apps and we could just share our apps, along with having our own e-mail account and still be able to sync contacts, bookmarks, calendar, etc. when iCloud comes out?

I'd just remove the one I recently created for us, and use the one I've always had

d21mike
Jul 12, 2011, 11:20 AM
Could she still use my old apple ID and be able to have her own e-mail to sync her contacts, calendar, etc? That way, she could download all my apps and we could just share our apps, along with having our own e-mail account and still be able to sync contacts, bookmarks, calendar, etc. when iCloud comes out?
Yes. On your iPhone under Settings / Store, login in to iTunes Store Account. Under Settings / iCloud, login to iCloud there. Under Settings / Mail, Contacts, Calendars, create your iCloud Account there. You can have multiple accounts. For Calendar you should create a Shared Calendar (with you normal iCloud Account) for both of you to update (if needed). You can't share Contacts like Calendar but could create a shared iCloud Account for just Contacts and add it and for it only activate Contacts. Pretty powerful options.

Jack of Hearts
Jul 20, 2011, 06:45 AM

So it is possible to change an iCloud @me address to an @gmail address and vice versa as a primary account? If you created an @me address using mobileme, the account name was unable to be changed. Anyone?

MobiusStrip
Jul 20, 2011, 12:43 PM
The problem isn't that you can't change your E-mail address on the account. It's that people have already set up multiple accounts because their E-mail addresses have changed in the past, and Apple says the E-mail address has to be valid. For example, someone switches cable companies or ISPs and realizes a couple weeks later that his iTunes account is now tied to a defunct account. So he thinks they need to set up a new Apple ID using his new E-mail address.

He may not even realize that Apple is about to create an ID from their E-mail address, and that he won't have the chance to set up a legitimate ID.

If people were allowed to use any unique string of characters as their IDs, this wouldn't be an issue. Your E-mail address should be separate from your ID.

You don't go to the bank and identify yourself solely with your street address. Hell, you don't go to a bank Web site and identify yourself with an E-mail address either. In fact, you don't even do that to sign up to post in this forum.

Yet somehow Apple doesn't get it.

ArmanUV
Jul 20, 2011, 03:44 PM

I have, but you obviously have not. If you used multiple IDs to purchase apps and books and etc then that's a completely different problem and always has been. In this topic we're talking about what happens when we add iCloud to the mix and the answer is NOTHING. you can keep using one ID for purchases and another one (like your @me.com account) for iCloud (mail, contacts, ...).

Jack of Hearts
Jul 24, 2011, 09:02 PM
Maybe I need to be more specific so my question can be better answered. I am aware that people have been creating accounts with multiple email address but I'm wondering if the primary email (which is ones username essentially) can be changed from @gmail to the iCloud @me. Originally when someone made a mobileme account, it automatically created a NEW apple id that could not be changed. Any other account is able to have its primary email address (username) changed as many times as they want except to a @me address.

What I'm wondering is if a iCloud @me address is able to be changed to an @gmail address or vice versa. If a developer with a beta build should could go to this:

https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MyAppleId.woa/

...and see if their primary iCloud @me Apple ID is able to be changed to something else, I'd really appreciate it. I think that Apple changed the action of creating a new Apple ID with each @me address with the transition to iCloud.

Plas00
Aug 4, 2011, 05:56 AM
Here, offical FAQ from Apple's iCloud.

MobileMe Accounts

shandyman
Aug 4, 2011, 02:08 PM
Here, offical FAQ from Apple's iCloud.

MobileMe Accounts

yea, we pretty much knew that already :)

livehappy8
Mar 20, 2012, 02:53 PM
So, I've done a LOT of digging into this as my iTunes user name is my old mac.com (pre me.com) address with my OLD married name. Let me tell you, if there was a way to change the user name on my itunes account, I would. Obviously I dumped that email address when I got divorced in 2006. So I have the same problem everyone else is having...now with everything being merged onto icloud, it's becoming a big issue. I have information on both that I would like to keep on my devices. But I have literally over a decade of iTunes purchases under my user ID. But I have the last 6 years of contacts, calendars, etc. on my mobile me.

What I have discovered, and why there seems to be some disagreement on if you can change your ID or not deals with when you set your ID up. We early adopters, are screwed for now. You can't change it...ANYWHERE (yet???!!!) But if you were late to the game or switched, it IS possible to change your user ID (though I was told you can only do it once).

Anyway, I know this doesn't help. Believe me, I'd LOVE to not have to sign in all the time with first.formerlast@mac.com...but unless I'm willing to give up 10s of thousands of tracts, I have to stick to what I have for now.

As a long time Apple user (my whole "tech" life/since I was 9) and a current Apple user (I'm partner at an app firm) I'm disappointed that Apple hasn't addressed this issue.

I know it's not as easy as flipping a switch, my guess is our accounts are locked in some archaic legacy system, but I really wish they would pull it together and bridge the gap here.