PDA

View Full Version : MM to iCloud Notice

ZGXtreme
Jun 6, 2011, 02:29 PM
From MobileMe's account page, covers free extensions, refunds, etc.

"Information about the MobileMe transition
Last Modified: June 06, 2011
Article: HT4597

Summary

What's happening to MobileMe?

Effective June 6, 2011, if you had an active MobileMe account, your service has been automatically extended through June 30, 2012, at no additional charge. After this, the MobileMe service will no longer be available.

Products Affected
MobileMe

What will happen to the content I have on MobileMe?

Apple has announced a new service called iCloud which will be available this fall and free for iOS 5 and OS X Lion users. When you sign up for iCloud, you'll be able to keep your me.com or mac.com email address and move your MobileMe mail, contacts, calendars, and bookmarks to the new service.

When iCloud becomes available this fall, more details and instructions will be provided on how to make the move.

Can I create a new MobileMe account?

You can no longer create a new 60-day trial account or start a new subscription using a code contained in a MobileMe box. However, if you have a Family Pack subscription, you can still create new family member accounts.

Can I upgrade to a Family Pack or purchase additional storage?

Effective June 6, 2011, you can no longer upgrade your Individual account to a Family Pack or purchase additional storage for your MobileMe account.

I purchased a MobileMe box and have not used the activation code inside. Can I get refund for it?

Yes. If you have an unused activation code from a MobileMe box, you can submit a refund request."

EricNau
Jun 6, 2011, 02:33 PM
Here's the link: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4597

Interesting, as I seem to recall that I already had my subscription paid through June 2012. Can't say I'm satisfied with their solution to this.

EDIT: There does appear to be a way to request a refund: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4445

EDITx2: Since my code was never activated, I was able to submit a refund request. Assuming it goes through, I gladly rescind my comment that I'm not satisfied. Although, I will add that my account was set to renew in a matter of days, which would have made this process much more difficult. So I got lucky.

ugahairydawgs
Jun 6, 2011, 02:34 PM
So....I guess that means no refund.

gadgetfreaky
Jun 6, 2011, 02:37 PM
have you guys been able to create your icloud account? i can't get past sign up

iggypod
Jun 6, 2011, 02:38 PM
Thanks for posting that.

So did I miss that iCloud will also include safari bookmark synching?

I know there will be an icloud photo stream but will there be a gallery equivalent (permanent photo album storage), I saw photos delete after 30 days?

Should be interesting.

iggypod
Jun 6, 2011, 02:40 PM
have you guys been able to create your icloud account? i can't get past sign up

I don't think it's available until fall / iOS 5.

whathesaid
Jun 6, 2011, 02:42 PM
yeah, it's not available. icloud.com still goes to cloudme.com

OllyW
Jun 6, 2011, 02:46 PM
EDIT: There does appear to be a way to request a refund: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4445

Needs proof of purchase.

I don't think the code I recently used from an old .Mac retail box which I got off eBay for £15 a couple of years ago will qualify. :D

Trance
Jun 6, 2011, 02:55 PM
we could keep our current @me.com accounts or we would have to create new Id's?

ZGXtreme
Jun 6, 2011, 02:57 PM

Should be able to keep the @me

iggypod
Jun 6, 2011, 02:59 PM

It sounds like you'll be able to keep it with the details on exactly how to do that to be rovided when iCloud arrives.

ChristianJapan
Jun 6, 2011, 03:21 PM
Sounds all quite bumpy at this time ... just hope that those with an existing ID have some days "protected" application time in order to keep their ID ?

Are we getting @icloud.com eMail in addition to @me.com ? Confused ...:confused:

Bear
Jun 6, 2011, 03:28 PM
Sounds all quite bumpy at this time ... just hope that those with an existing ID have some days "protected" application time in order to keep their ID ?

Are we getting @icloud.com eMail in addition to @me.com ? Confused ...:confused:There are many reasons why it would be bad for Apple to allow re-use of old @me.com addresses. As it happens, existing MobileMe accounts now run through June 2012. So yes, your ID is protected.

jlblodgett
Jun 6, 2011, 03:30 PM
There are many reasons why it would be bad for Apple to allow re-use of old @me.com addresses. As it happens, existing MobileMe accounts now run through June 2012. So yes, your ID is protected.

What happens in June 2012?!?

NStocks
Jun 6, 2011, 03:35 PM
Ok, so I signed up for the MobileMe trial about a year ago. I did not pay for the service but the account is still available to 'renew'. Does this mean that I can retain the previous address, but instead of 'renew' where I would currently need to pay, would I get it for free?

Just to double check, comes out with Lion right? And replaces the whole mobileme name etc ?

Thank Youicloud

Bear
Jun 6, 2011, 03:35 PM
What happens in June 2012?!?To quote Information about the MobileMe transition (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4597):Effective June 6, 2011, if you had an active MobileMe account, your service has been automatically extended through June 30, 2012, at no additional charge. After this, the MobileMe service will no longer be available.

diamond.g
Jun 6, 2011, 03:44 PM
So our galleries and idisk content (and iweb for those that use it) are gone in a year, great....

igator210
Jun 6, 2011, 03:53 PM
Does anyone know / speculate how this effects web hosting? I use iWeb to maintain a simple site that is pushed to the web.me.com hosting service.

Nate

paulsalter
Jun 6, 2011, 04:30 PM
A little confused on this

It's says it's free for os 5 and lion users

What's will happen if I am using snow leopard, will I lose my account?

iammike1
Jun 6, 2011, 04:37 PM
A little confused on this

It's says it's free for os 5 and lion users

What's will happen if I am using snow leopard, will I lose my account?

Pay the $30 for Lion....have iCloud for free indefinitely.

paulsalter
Jun 6, 2011, 05:01 PM
Pay the $30 for Lion....have iCloud for free indefinitely.

That's not what I asked

I do not want lion, and want to know what this cloud does if you are on another os

kurzz
Jun 6, 2011, 05:05 PM
Here's info about Mobile Me ALIASES:

As of June 6, 2011, the following changes to MobileMe email aliases are no longer supported:

Adding a new alias
Deleting an existing alias
Changing the active or inactive status of an alias
Changing the color or description of an alias

Currently active email aliases will continue to work for sending and receiving emails.

The ability to add, delete, or change an email alias will be available for MobileMe members that move to iCloud, once it is available this fall.

iammike1
Jun 6, 2011, 08:19 PM
That's not what I asked

I do not want lion, and want to know what this cloud does if you are on another os

Whatever floats your boat.

mrzeigler
Jun 6, 2011, 08:55 PM
Does anyone know / speculate how this effects web hosting? I use iWeb to maintain a simple site that is pushed to the web.me.com hosting service.

Nate

My wife is wondering this as well. She uses iWeb for a simple kindergarten website. I run a drupal-powered website, and I definitely do not want to have to take the time to put together a a cheerful, school-related Drupal-website theme that won't look as good or be as easy to use as the iWeb system she knows so well. Anyone know what will happen to people in the same situation as Nate and my wife?

newagemac
Jun 7, 2011, 08:24 AM
What happens in June 2012?!?

Most people will be in the process of migrating to underground bunkers in June 2012. You'll need to make sure your MobileMe is also migrated to iCloud by that date so you can keep up with what's happening above ground. :D

Dr McKay
Jun 7, 2011, 08:40 AM
I'm deeply confused, so will I get the chance to make benjy91@me.com into benjy91@icloud.com?

If I do that, will any mail that goes to @me.com automatically get send to my account if its @icloud.com?

^^BIGMac
Jun 7, 2011, 08:53 AM
Here is my situation:

I have a MM family pack. It renewed back in May...

I have an iMac running Snow Leopard and a MBP running SL along with my wife's MacBook running SL.

I really don't want to upgrade to Lion on my iMac as it's my understanding that Rosetta (PPC emulation) will no longer be available with Lion. I have accounting software that is PPC so I don't want to mess with it.

I'm fine upgrading my MBP to Lion. So the question is, will iCloud still be available to me FREE for my iMac? Details about how this will work was very sketchy. For once Jobs didn't do a good job at all of explaining any of this. Very big picture stuff yesterday!

Anybody know the answer to this situation. It seems that unless you are running Lion on a machine then iÇloud isn't going to be available or work. This kinda sucks IMO>

ChristianJapan
Jun 7, 2011, 09:10 AM
I'm deeply confused, so will I get the chance to make benjy91@me.com into benjy91@icloud.com?

If I do that, will any mail that goes to @me.com automatically get send to my account if its @icloud.com?

thats exactly what my question is, too. I really dislike to change the mail address from me.com to icloud.com. Looks like Apple doing that frequently every few years. But actually we build a digital identity around our eMails ... like accounts for shopping etc. Sometimes those can't be changed ... not too happy.
Ok, got an eMail from Apple saying that I can take over my .me.com address but then again will there be a second one for icloud. Just not enough information yet.

neko girl
Jun 7, 2011, 09:24 AM
That's not what I asked

I would think Lion is a requirement for iCloud.

paulsalter
Jun 7, 2011, 09:31 AM

sadly thats what i was thinking :(

hopefully mail/calendar will still work as they are now using industry standard protocols

Dr McKay
Jun 7, 2011, 11:33 AM

On the iCloud page, it says "sync files between your Mac or PC"

So it's definitely Windows Compatible. Not a Lion exclusive, they would be foolish to lock iCloud to Lion only, a huge market of their iDevice market are on Windows.

Unless you're asking if it'll be on earlier versions of OS X?

paulsalter
Jun 7, 2011, 12:06 PM
Unless you're asking if it'll be on earlier versions of OS X?

Sorry, yes, when i asked the question earlier i was talking about OS X versions

mail is imap so shouldn't be an issue
calendar is CalDAV so should work

unsure on the other syncing aspects

idrewuk
Jun 7, 2011, 02:57 PM
This may or may not be a dumb question, but what happens when MobileMe 'ceases to exist' at the end of June?

If iCloud isn't available until the fall, what's the score with the gap inbetween those dates?

If MobileMe doesn't exist, yet iCloud hasn't launched, how are we going to keep checking our emails and so on? :confused::eek:

iammike1
Jun 7, 2011, 03:19 PM
This may or may not be a dumb question, but what happens when MobileMe 'ceases to exist' at the end of June?

If iCloud isn't available until the fall, what's the score with the gap inbetween those dates?

If MobileMe doesn't exist, yet iCloud hasn't launched, how are we going to keep checking our emails and so on? :confused::eek:

MobileMe ends June 2012...not 2011.

csjcsj
Jun 7, 2011, 03:27 PM
I hated it when they changed my .mac email to .me - especially since I have so much linked to that account address. So will they continue the redirects from .mac, or are they going to do away with email accounts entirely?

^^BIGMac
Jun 7, 2011, 06:42 PM
Seems to me this whole thing, or at least the explanation given at the Keynote is a cluster ****.

You'd think they would have had this a little more organized so it could be explained in a manner that we wouldn't have 10 threads asking what is going to happen. Well done Apple.

coops108
Jun 7, 2011, 09:33 PM
thats exactly what my question is, too. I really dislike to change the mail address from me.com to icloud.com. Looks like Apple doing that frequently every few years. But actually we build a digital identity around our eMails ... like accounts for shopping etc. Sometimes those can't be changed ... not too happy.
Ok, got an eMail from Apple saying that I can take over my .me.com address but then again will there be a second one for icloud. Just not enough information yet.

what the hell are u going on about. there is no such thing as @icloud.com email
you keep the same @me.com email address. everything will be linked to ur AppleID. Apple have set up a web link https://www.me.com/upgrade/ so when its available you will be able to migrate most of ur mobileme data(contact, @me mail, calender etc) to ur icloud account(which u login using ur apple id and password on your device). if u are new to icloud, u have an option to setup @me.com account but u dont have to use it.

coops108
Jun 7, 2011, 09:37 PM
http://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http%3A%2F%2Ff.cl.ly%2Fitems%2F2k0T211c3L3K0S3q351u%2Fcopying_data_from_mobileme_to_iclou d.pdf

found this after a web search. could be fake

^^BIGMac
Jun 10, 2011, 06:54 PM
Here is my situation:

I have a MM family pack. It renewed back in May...

I have an iMac running Snow Leopard and a MBP running SL along with my wife's MacBook running SL.

I really don't want to upgrade to Lion on my iMac as it's my understanding that Rosetta (PPC emulation) will no longer be available with Lion. I have accounting software that is PPC so I don't want to mess with it.

I'm fine upgrading my MBP to Lion. So the question is, will iCloud still be available to me FREE for my iMac? Details about how this will work was very sketchy. For once Jobs didn't do a good job at all of explaining any of this. Very big picture stuff yesterday!

Anybody know the answer to this situation. It seems that unless you are running Lion on a machine then iÇloud isn't going to be available or work. This kinda sucks IMO>After messing with this for a few days does anybody have an idea about the part that is in bold above? :confused:

diamond.g
Jun 10, 2011, 07:33 PM
After messing with this for a few days does anybody have an idea about the part that is in bold above? :confused:

As far as I can tell it looks like iCloud (backup and syncing) will only be available on Lion.

^^BIGMac
Jun 10, 2011, 07:47 PM
As far as I can tell it looks like iCloud (backup and syncing) will only be available on Lion.Well then I better figure out how to upgrade my accounting software so I can have Lion on all my machines. If they would have just left Rosetta on Lion as an option it wound't be an issue for me at all. :mad:

sanke1
Jun 11, 2011, 06:36 AM
Can I use my iTunes email ID to register with iCloud?

MattiaC28
Jun 11, 2011, 11:01 AM
Just another thing I've just discovered trying to enable one of my mobileme aliases: there is no longer a way to enable/disable or edit any of yours aliases until you upgrade to iCloud this fall. Now, I know that Apple gave us a "free" extension 'till june 2012 (that is in my case just 40 days more of what I already paid) but now we can't manage our mail account! :mad: come on Apple, we paid for mobileme and now we have a sentenced to death service and we can't even fully use it for another 6 months or so...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4632