PDA

View Full Version : Apple Introduces iCloud: Contact, Cal, Docs, Photos, and Music Syncing Free of Charge

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jun 6, 2011, 02:44 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/06/apple-introduces-icloud-contact-cal-docs-photos-and-music-syncing-free-of-charge/)

After giving the stage over to Phil Schiller and Scott Forstall for much of today's WWDC keynote, Steve Jobs himself introduced (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/06/06icloud.html) iCloud to the world.

The PC was the hub for your digital life, with all your media hosted on the computer. That's worked well for 10 years, but we're in a post-PC era now. Devices have changed, and everything now has photos and video. It's a hassle to "acquire" a song, and sync all your devices and get everything on it. "Keeping these devices in sync is driving us crazy," Steve told the crowd.

So, the digital hub, a concept that Apple launched with the iPod 10 years ago, is being moved to the cloud. All devices can talk to the cloud whenever they want, with instant propagation to all other devices. With iCloud, users get 5GB of free storage for mail, documents and backups; purchased music, apps and books don't count.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/f1307384654-500x333.jpg

"Some people think a cloud is just a hard disk in the sky," Steve told the crowd. "We think it's way more than that." iCloud stores content (think contacts, calendar, photos, music), with wireless push to all devices. But the kicker is, it's completely integrated with apps. Everything happens automatically, invisibly. "It just works."

Ah, but, "why should we believe them? They're the ones who brought us MobileMe," Steve said to wild, slightly ironic cheers. MobileMe hasn't been the most reliable service in history -- after a disastrous rollout of MobileMe a few years back, Steve asked a group of executive in charge of the project what the service was supposed to do. After receiving a satisfactory answer, he exclaimed "then why the ******* doesn't it do that?!"

Today, Steve admitted "MobileMe? It wasn't our finest hour, let me say that."

iCloud completely replaces MobileMe. Mail, contacts, and calendar are all free. Contacts and calendars will be updated across devices, just like they currently do, but there are several new components to iCloud.

First is the App Store. Users can see purchase history on all devices. Second, iBooks. Books and progress will be synced across devices. Once daily, "a lot of your important content" will be uploaded to the cloud, making it super easy to buy a new iOS device. Just type in your AppleID and password, and all your information will be automatically loaded up: music, apps, books, camera roll, device settings and app data.

Apple has added documents to iCloud as well. Users can edit a document in iWork on a Mac, and it gets instantly pushed to iCloud, where it can be accessed on an iPad. All data is saved and backed up in the cloud. This functionality is built in to Pages, Numbers and Keynote. File transferring seems totally automatic and effortless.

Tweak an existing document in Pages on a Mac, and it immediately gets saved to iCloud and changes are immediately pushed to an iPad.

Apple has been working for 10 years to get rid of the file-storage system. It started with iOS, and has made its way to the Mac. iCloud entirely removes the concept of file-storage. Apps manage presentation of its own documents. Apps can store documents in iCloud, documents pushed automatically, with automatic updates on all devices when content is changed anywhere.

For developers, Apple has provided iCloud storage API's, giving easy access to iCloud features for developers -- this is a developer's conference after all, and the dev's love it.

Photo Stream, previewed earlier this year (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/01/19/apple-working-on-photo-streaming-and-other-social-features-in-ios/), is part of iCloud too. Photo Stream works just like documents, but your camera roll gets uploaded to the cloud, then sent to everything else. Users can import photos as well, and upload to the cloud. Steve stressed that all these features were built into apps, invisibly, "so there's nothing new to learn."¬*On the Mac, Photo Stream is built in to iPhoto. Apple TV supports Photo Stream as well.

Only the last 1,000 photos are stored in the cloud will be downloaded to iOS devices, but all photos will be stored on the Mac/PC side. Only 30 days of photos are stored on iCloud, so iCloud doesn't save all your data, it just makes sure that everything is synced up properly.

Article Link: Apple Introduces iCloud: Contact, Cal, Docs, Photos, and Music Syncing Free of Charge (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/06/apple-introduces-icloud-contact-cal-docs-photos-and-music-syncing-free-of-charge/)

Mowgli21
Jun 6, 2011, 02:47 PM
Does the icloud documents just sync keynote, numbers and pages? I was hoping for an improvement on idisk like dropbox but would allow me to sync any file types between my macs and work PC.

SumoHamster
Jun 6, 2011, 02:49 PM
I noticed today that when I click the App Store on my iPhone and then Updates, I don't get my normal "No Updates Available". Instead, it is split into All and Not On This iPhone tabs.. so it appears iCloud is in limited play already.

WestonHarvey1
Jun 6, 2011, 02:49 PM
Does the icloud documents just sync keynote, numbers and pages? I was hoping for an improvement on idisk like dropbox but would allow me to sync any file types between my macs and work PC.

With the iCloud API, I'm sure virtually every Mac application of any note will eventually be updated to hook into it.

Depending on what's allowed, it may be the case that a developer could write a replacement for DropBox in a few lines of Objective C in XCode.

UnSainted
Jun 6, 2011, 02:50 PM
I just renewed my mobileme 2 weeks ago.. Since its going away I wonder what I will get in exchange.. More iCloud space? I didnt catch any mention of it but i would be ok with that.

Ygn
This will be really useful, the iPhone+iTunes have never had a solid way of transferring photos (not that I know of anyway, if there is I'll cry) so if this syncs it all to iCloud it will be so much easier.

Greydog

If I read correctly, there are dev APIs for iCloud that can be incorporated into any app. So, if MS chooses they can have Office docs sync automatically to the cloud just like Pages, etc.

snowboarder
How about existing me.com accounts/email addresses?
Of course can't connect to mobileme this morning...
Really don't trust them they can make this work.

Jbaffoh
Family Plan: $149.00. Less than a month ago. Damn. So what did Apple give me? A free extension to June 30, 2012--almost 45 days free! Sigh.

swingerofbirch
Jun 6, 2011, 02:51 PM
I wonder what will happen regarding MobileMe refunds. And what about iDisk? iCloud gives you 5 GB. What if i already have more than that store on iDisk?

gwest
Jun 6, 2011, 02:51 PM
Any ideas on the future of iWeb and the hosting service that Apple has offered? The program has been ignored for a while and there's no indication of an upgrade or replacement.
Also, will the @mac-email addresses continue to function after this free @me-offering is released?
Any speculations on these unanswered issues?

funnyent
Jun 6, 2011, 02:52 PM
Family Plan: $149.00. Less than a month ago. Damn. So what did Apple give me? A free extension to June 30, 2012--almost 45 free!

Me too! Just bought is about a month ago. Oh well...

jav6454
I wonder what happens with accounts with extended stuff (like space or family)

ten-oak-druid
So I wonder what happens with purchased mobileme credits? I had purchased some on sale from amazon and had to wait to enter the code because you were only allowed to add one per year. I have since done this but in the meantime had purchased discounted mobileme credits when I got my iphone. These are sitting around waiting to be used.

I hope there is an offer of a refund or perhaps if there are upgraded storage options for a fee that these credits can be used for that.

Frozone
Jun 6, 2011, 02:53 PM
I'm very curious how our Apple ID will work with iCloud. Everyone who signs up for iCloud gets an @me.com e-mail address. Will this replace the e-mail we currently use as our Apple ID? Or, we will continue to sign-in and download Applications under our old e-mail's, and have the @me.com solely as an extra e-mail. :confused:

MacVault
Jun 6, 2011, 02:54 PM
What!? No Time Capsule? If iCloud only stores my most recent items and the rest has to be stored on my Mac then how can they say the iDevices will now be independent of the Mac / PC?

They even mentioned that many users are stating they want the iPad / iPhone to be their only device. So in this case where the heck will they store their files?

:confused:

strik

Several people reporting that their account for MobileMe that were just purchased recently are just showing as a "Free extension" until June 2012 (http://www.ehmac.ca/anything-mac/95260-apple-introduces-icloud.html#post1101360). Not sure how an extension of a product that is now free is any sort of extension.

peterh988
Any ideas on the future of iWeb and the hosting service that Apple has offered? The program has been ignored for a while and there's no indication of an upgrade or replacement.

Yep I'd like to know about this too.

NightStorm
Jun 6, 2011, 02:56 PM

Same here, was really hoping for a prorated credit or something... not sure what the benefit of extending our accounts for something that is going away is supposed to be.

snowboarder
I'm very curious how our Apple ID will work with iCloud. Everyone who signs up for iCloud gets an @me.com e-mail address. Will this replace the e-mail we currently use as our Apple ID? Or, we will continue to sign-in and download Applications under our old e-mail's, and have the @me.com solely as an extra e-mail. :confused:

Apple created that mess and they have no idea how to deal with it.
Right now we have to id's - apple id and mobileme id, they can't
recognize them and that's why so often I can't log in, I get
"wrong id" message all the time. works on my iPhone, but it's terrible
on my macs...

UndeadDan
Really looking forward to info about:

-iDisk
-Pricing on Additional Storage
-MobileMe refunds
-E-mail addresses

Please Apple, iCloud sounds really cool, but please don't screw over the folks who have grown to love all of the features dating back to .Mac.

yargok
Jun 6, 2011, 02:58 PM

I hope it is this way to allow for families to still share a single account for purchasing apps and music.

Sackvillenb
Not sure how this really gets rid of a file system... not that I personally want that. But, this does seem very convenient. I like how it seems very automated and behind the scenes...

I also wonder if this means I'll be able to sync my ipad to more than one computer (if I own both machines and use the same apple ID on them? That would be awesome...! And many people have a desktop and a laptop, for example...)

And it's free! :)

jennyp
I noticed today that when I click the App Store on my iPhone and then Updates, I don't get my normal "No Updates Available". Instead, it is split into All and Not On This iPhone tabs.. so it appears iCloud is in limited play already.

Yes - and I already see the 'cloud' icons. It's either cloud icon, or "installed"

Fast Shadow
Jun 6, 2011, 02:59 PM
I guess I don't "get" it, what the big deal about this is.

I already have Gmail.

I already have Flickr.

And I already have online storage.

How is this any different?

mmzplanet

On top of that, what about the "family" iTunes account. We all use the same iTunes account to purchase Apps, Music, etc. So how will this work? Certainly having to buy everything 3 times is rather unreasonable. My wife and son would much rather have their own mailboxes and phone backups, etc.

Frozone
Apple created that mess and they have no idea how to deal with it.
Right now we have to id's - apple id and mobileme id, they can't
recognize them and that's why so often I can't log in, I get
"wrong id" message all the time. works on my iPhone, but it's terrible
on my macs...

Yeah, I have two Apple ID's as well, so I'm HOPING there is some way to "merge" accounts. Maybe whenever we create an iCloud account, everything will just be transferred over. I don't see why that would be so hard to do?

hexx
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

Nothing for me, would be a downgrade. All my rips are lossless

Mattie Num Nums
Jun 6, 2011, 03:01 PM
Just got word from a source at Apple that refunds are trickling out as we speak.

w00t!

roland.g
What!? No Time Capsule? If iCloud only stores my most recent items and the rest has to be stored on my Mac then how can they say the iDevices will now be independent of the Mac / PC?

They even mentioned that many users are stating they want the iPad / iPhone to be their only device. So in this case where the heck will they store their files?

On their iPad or iPhone. You do have 16, 32, or 64 GB storage on these devices. Should you not have a computer too, you can save your Photo Stream and Music to the device.

fracai
MobileMe purhcases where the codes haven't been redeemed or for fewer than 45 days can be refunded.
Those with more than 46 days of usage can be prorated.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4445

I haven't seen anything regarding what happens to a returned account until iCloud goes live.

WestonHarvey1

In the cloud. The requirement to have home internet service or 3G to make this all work hasn't gone away quite yet.

Still think that Time Capsule thing might be in the works. Good intermediary between iCloud and your own stuff.

alaris23
Jun 6, 2011, 03:02 PM

-iDisk
-MobileMe refunds
-E-mail addresses

Please Apple, iCloud sounds really cool, but please don't screw over the folks who have grown to love all of the features dating back to .Mac.

I could not agree more with this! iDisk is especially important to me, 5GB is pretty laughable, my mobile me subscription renewed on the 30th May 2011 and I have both a .me and .mac address...this needs cleaned up!

bankshot
Jun 6, 2011, 03:02 PM
I will have to wait until it's released to see for sure, but I suspect Apple hasn't addressed the issue of multiple users sharing some of that data that is synced through iCloud. On the one hand, it sounds like a fantastic service, and what MobileMe should have been from the start. On the other, I suspect it will fall well short of ideal when it comes to my usage patterns, which are probably pretty common.

In our household, we have 2 iPhones and one iPad. We consider all three devices to be owned by the household, and therefore purchase any apps under a "joint" Apple ID so they get downloaded to all devices that want them. Additionally, my wife and I would share calendar and (most) contact data. A shared photo library would make sense for us as well. So iCloud under a joint account sounds about right until you consider...

Music. We have different tastes in music, and don't need or want our iTunes music purchases and "genius" recommendations lumped together. Therefore we keep separate accounts for that. And a joint iCloud account would not work at all. Also, I wouldn't want iCloud setup to automatically download any app that my wife buys - it might be a game I'm not interested in having on my phone, or it might be something useful to both of us. Same thing for apps I buy.

What would work best is a way to sync with different iCloud accounts for different categories. Then we could each sync with the shared account for apps, calendars, photos, etc, while keeping our music syncing separate.

Unfortunately I suspect Apple hasn't implemented anything like this, but I do think our use case is pretty common. Many households have multiple iDevice users and would want to share syncing of some, but not all of the things iCloud handles. It will be interesting to see as details roll in.

Edit: Yeah, basically what mmzplanet said (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=12694752#post12694752). :)

Frozone
Jun 6, 2011, 03:03 PM
On top of that, what about the "family" iTunes account. We all use the same iTunes account to purchase Apps, Music, etc. So how will this work? Certainly having to buy everything 3 times is rather unreasonable. My wife and son would much rather have their own mailboxes and phone backups, etc.

I hadn't even though of how it must be with families. I think that could be easy to remedy by just making the devices "log-in screen" optional. Then, the devices would all have the same Applications, but when it comes to things like mail, bookmarks, etc., each person could have it a bit more individualized.

ten-oak-druid
Jun 6, 2011, 03:04 PM
Ok there is information on mobileme's site already:

It tells you in the account summary section that "Your subscription has been extended until Jun 30, 2012, at no additional charge. "

Clicking the "learn more" button gives a new window with the information:

What's happening to MobileMe?
Effective June 6, 2011, if you had an active MobileMe account, your service has been automatically extended through June 30, 2012, at no additional charge. After this, the MobileMe service will no longer be available.

What will happen to the content I have on MobileMe?
Apple has announced a new service called iCloud which will be available this fall and free for iOS 5 and OS X Lion users. When you sign up for iCloud, you'll be able to keep your me.com or mac.com email address and move your MobileMe mail, contacts, calendars, and bookmarks to the new service.

When iCloud becomes available this fall, more details and instructions will be provided on how to make the move.

Can I create a new MobileMe account?
You can no longer create a new 60-day trial account or start a new subscription using a code contained in a MobileMe box. However, if you have a Family Pack subscription, you can still create new family member accounts.

Can I upgrade to a Family Pack or purchase additional storage?
Effective June 6, 2011, you can no longer upgrade your Individual account to a Family Pack or purchase additional storage for your MobileMe account.

I purchased a MobileMe box and have not used the activation code inside. Can I get refund for it?
Yes. If you have an unused activation code from a MobileMe box, you can submit a refund request.

And the words "refund request" are a link.

Update: I went to the refund link and it looks old. I believe it was instructions from prior to this news. It states that if you apply for a refund and are a current mobile member that your account will be cancelled. So that would be strange now if you go to get credit for a purchase of a mobileme code and based on old protocol they cancelled your account entirely. Hopefully they update what happens when refunds are requested. Well I guess if it is a code you haven't applied yet then you won't have this problem.

I think I'll wait a few weeks and go into an apple store to ask about it.

pol0001
Jun 6, 2011, 03:05 PM
Chat Support

Monday, June 6, 2011 09:33 PM
Duration: 24 minutes 24 seconds

Kimberly:
Hi, welcome to Apple! My name is Kimberly with MobileMe support. Please give me a moment to look over the information you provided.

Kimberly:
Hey Andre, I am happy to assist you with any MobileMe related issues today. While I am reading your pre-chat survey, might I ask if you've contacted us about this issue before?

Andre:
No. It is about the transition to iCloud.

Andre:
I use the MobileMe Gallery, iDisk and iWeb. What will happen to those services?

Andre:
I use iWeb to publish a website on MobileMe.

Kimberly:
I understand you are concerned about your published website. Is that correct?

Andre:
And about my 10GB on my iDisk and my MobileMe Galleries.

Andre:
I use my iDisk to store all kinds of files.

Kimberly:
I can definitely understand your concern for you files. The data you have in you MobileMe account will not be affected.

Andre:
So I will still be able to access my iDisk and upload new files after the migration to iCloud?

Andre:
And I will still be able to upload new Photo Galeries from Aperture?

Andre:
And other people (non iOS/Mac) will be able to see these galeries?

Kimberly:
This information, I don't know. The only changes we are aware of at this point are in this article http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4597.

Andre:
And when does Apple plan to inform it's paying customers about these basic questions?

Andre:
PS: If I try to follow your link, I get a "Page does not exist" error.

Kimberly:
To be honest Andre, I don't know. I will copy and and paste the page.

Kimberly:
Information about the MobileMe transition Author: Artie Nathan III Last Modified: June 06, 2011 Article: HT4597 Views: 0 Security: Public   Summary What's happening to MobileMe? Effective June 6, 2011, if you had an active MobileMe account, your service has been automatically extended through June 30, 2012, at no additional charge. After this, the MobileMe service will no longer be available. Products Affected MobileMe What will happen to the content I have on MobileMe? Apple has announced a new service called iCloud which will be available this fall and free for iOS 5 and OS X Lion users. When you sign up for iCloud, you'll be able to keep your me.com or mac.com email address and move your MobileMe mail, contacts, calendars, and bookmarks to the new service. When iCloud becomes available this fall, more details and instructions will be provided on how to make the move. Can I create a new MobileMe account? You can no longer create a new 60-day trial account or start a new subscription using a code contained in a MobileMe box. However, if you have a Family Pack subscription, you can still create new family member accounts. Can I upgrade to a Family Pack or purchase additional storage? Effective June 6, 2011, you can no longer upgrade your Individual account to a Family Pack or purchase additional storage for your MobileMe account. I purchased a MobileMe box and have not used the activation code inside. Can I get refund for it? Yes. If you have an unused activation code from a MobileMe box, you can submit a refund request.

Andre:
Thank you for the article. I understand that you can only tell me what you've been told by your supervisors. But they should have expected the confusion caused by this iCloud announcement. And judging by what's going on online, I'm not the only confused MobileMe customer.

Kimberly:
You definitely aren't. I found out 30 minutes ago when I walked in. All we have is that article. I'm sorry.

lars666
Jun 6, 2011, 03:05 PM

-iDisk
-MobileMe refunds
-E-mail addresses

+10000, especially point 1 and 4. I'd like to know how to deal with my iDisk and my existing @me-adress (which I don't want to change) when switching from MobileMe to iCloud.

iggypod
Jun 6, 2011, 03:06 PM
There are more details in this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1164567) but I still have far more questions than answers like my MoMe apple ID versus my iTunes ID meshing, what happens to bookmark synching and the gallery?

Mattie Num Nums
Jun 6, 2011, 03:08 PM
Chat Support

Monday, June 6, 2011 09:33 PM
Duration: 24 minutes 24 seconds

Kimberly:
Hi, welcome to Apple! My name is Kimberly with MobileMe support. Please give me a moment to look over the information you provided.

Kimberly:
Hey Andre, I am happy to assist you with any MobileMe related issues today. While I am reading your pre-chat survey, might I ask if you've contacted us about this issue before?

Andre:
No. It is about the transition to iCloud.

Andre:
I use the MobileMe Gallery, iDisk and iWeb. What will happen to those services?

Andre:
I use iWeb to publish a website on MobileMe.

Kimberly:
I understand you are concerned about your published website. Is that correct?

Andre:
And about my 10GB on my iDisk and my MobileMe Galleries.

Andre:
I use my iDisk to store all kinds of files.

Kimberly:
I can definitely understand your concern for you files. The data you have in you MobileMe account will not be affected.

Andre:
So I will still be able to access my iDisk and upload new files after the migration to iCloud?

Andre:
And I will still be able to upload new Photo Galeries from Aperture?

Andre:
And other people (non iOS/Mac) will be able to see these galeries?

Kimberly:
This information, I don't know. The only changes we are aware of at this point are in this article http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4597.

Andre:
And when does Apple plan to inform it's paying customers about these basic questions?

Andre:
PS: If I try to follow your link, I get a "Page does not exist" error.

Kimberly:
To be honest Andre, I don't know. I will copy and and paste the page.

Kimberly:
Information about the MobileMe transition Author: Artie Nathan III Last Modified: June 06, 2011 Article: HT4597 Views: 0 Security: Public   Summary What's happening to MobileMe? Effective June 6, 2011, if you had an active MobileMe account, your service has been automatically extended through June 30, 2012, at no additional charge. After this, the MobileMe service will no longer be available. Products Affected MobileMe What will happen to the content I have on MobileMe? Apple has announced a new service called iCloud which will be available this fall and free for iOS 5 and OS X Lion users. When you sign up for iCloud, you'll be able to keep your me.com or mac.com email address and move your MobileMe mail, contacts, calendars, and bookmarks to the new service. When iCloud becomes available this fall, more details and instructions will be provided on how to make the move. Can I create a new MobileMe account? You can no longer create a new 60-day trial account or start a new subscription using a code contained in a MobileMe box. However, if you have a Family Pack subscription, you can still create new family member accounts. Can I upgrade to a Family Pack or purchase additional storage? Effective June 6, 2011, you can no longer upgrade your Individual account to a Family Pack or purchase additional storage for your MobileMe account. I purchased a MobileMe box and have not used the activation code inside. Can I get refund for it? Yes. If you have an unused activation code from a MobileMe box, you can submit a refund request.

Andre:
Thank you for the article. I understand that you can only tell me what you've been told by your supervisors. But they should have expected the confusion caused by this iCloud announcement. And judging by what's going on online, I'm not the only confused MobileMe customer.

Kimberly:
You definitely aren't. I found out 30 minutes ago when I walked in. All we have is that article. I'm sorry.

Shes telling the truth. Apple employees are usually the last people to find out things.

Jason Beck
Jun 6, 2011, 03:11 PM

I already have Gmail.

I already have Flickr.

It really isn't. Also we are not in a post pc era.

bigjnyc
Jun 6, 2011, 03:12 PM

I already have Gmail.

I already have Flickr.

its not different it just combines all of those different services into one service and integrates it more seamlessly into your iOS and OS devices.

shervieux
Jun 6, 2011, 03:13 PM
I really need time to think about this.

1. If file structure seems to be gone, and we have auto-syncing does that now mean I have to wade through client A, B, C,... while looking for clients X's documents? This seems nice if your a student, your devices are for personal use, or you do not deal with clients. With starting a business that is completely mobile to clients - seems like I could deal with clutter very quickly. May have to resort to iWork for myself and MS OFFICE for my client work?

2. photo sync. Love the idea, but.... On a typical weekend I may take more than 1000 photos. Especially given I am going to start offering photography services. Nice to have an up-to-date-portfolio with me. But as I fill up SD cards, I dump them to my ipad (not sure if ipad can handle raw [.NEF files] - never tried it yet). Does this mean I can start losing pics as I dump more? also, I had major problems with iphoto losing photos on my (even with the last update). I use iphoto as a dumping ground or to order prints/books. Not for storage; ever since I lost 100's of photos only to be left with a 100X300 thumbnail.

3. Ok, if MobileMe is dead and we get Mail, Contacts, and calendar for free - what happens to my website? I use iWeb and have 2 websites. 1 for my business which is hosted with a real domain name; the other is personal and on MobileMe. Will my personal website eventually go away? I like the idea of contact, calendar, and mail sync being instantaneous.

4. Itunes Sync - so this means that since my entire 6000+ song library is ripped; does that mean I must pay $25.00 a year to match? I do not have the original CD's anymore for the most of them; since they got scratched, lost, and some were damaged in a fire. If I do not match - it sounds like I lose my music? What about all those indies or locals who are not on itunes. Also I deal with local artists. I heard something about uploading the song if no match. Working with local artists, copyright would bar me from doing that. Plus Itunes is integrated in many apps.

I would really hate to have to switch back and find Windows Apps for my business, and Linux just is not up to par with what I do.

Like I said; with building a business based on dealing with client documents (writing / documentation services), offering photography, and offering DJ service - I REALLY HAVE TO DIGEST WHAT ALL THIS NOW MEANS.

Especially since I am in a state that is still very rural (lot of edge network - if any connection); and not that much wi-fi.

Also would this mean I now need a mi-fi device?

jennyp
Jun 6, 2011, 03:15 PM
I wonder what will happen to my five MobileMe email aliases? I don't want to lose those.

mrmattmarks
Jun 6, 2011, 03:15 PM
[removed by user]

Popeye206
Jun 6, 2011, 03:17 PM
its not different it just combines all of those different services into one service and integrates it more seamlessly into your iOS and OS devices.

I would say very seamlessly when you can take a picture on your iPhone and have it shared on your Mac or iPad within seconds and you don't have to do anything.

thefourthpope
+10000, especially point 1 and 4. I'd like to know how to deal with my iDisk and my existing @me-adress (which I don't want to change) when switching from MobileMe to iCloud.

I've got 10GB of necessary files sitting in my iDisk. Definitely interested to see what the options are for those of us with more than 5GB of data. And I really hope that Apple gives us warning about the transition so I can make sure I have a backup of all that info!

Darlo770
What happened to the new Time Capsule that was rumoured.
I guess that's the word- 'rumoured'.
But stocks were running low, so do you think it'll be a quiet refresh?

richard4339
I just renewed my mobileme 2 weeks ago.. Since its going away I wonder what I will get in exchange.. More iCloud space? I didnt catch any mention of it but i would be ok with that.

I was wondering too. Engadget said some people have already started getting refunds. I personally haven't.

I'm also confused about what portions are launching today. And I briefly read somewhere its 4.3 only, so are the Verizon customers left out in the cold again on new features?

Edit: Just saw this above.

Several people reporting that their account for MobileMe that were just purchased recently are just showing as a "Free extension" until June 2012 (http://www.ehmac.ca/anything-mac/95260-apple-introduces-icloud.html#post1101360). Not sure how an extension of a product that is now free is any sort of extension.

I went and looked. Mine has been extended until June 30th 2012 and I still have 20gb storage. So, we get 15 extra gigabytes of storage for a year. I'd rather have a refund. I've never made it over 1gb of usage between 5 people on a family account.

thefourthpope
Jun 6, 2011, 03:18 PM
MobileMe and iCloud are two different products. If you bought MobileMe, you are getting what you paid for.

So by your reading of this, the mail/contacts/calendar bit that is currently part of MobileMe will transition to iCloud but iDisk will remain a separate, pay service?

Football Dad
Jun 6, 2011, 03:19 PM
No news on Time Capsule?

Popeye206
Jun 6, 2011, 03:21 PM

1. If file structure seems to be gone, and we have auto-syncing does that now mean I have to wade through client A, B, C,... while looking for clients X's documents? This seems nice if your a student, your devices are for personal use, or you do not deal with clients. With starting a business that is completely mobile to clients - seems like I could deal with clutter very quickly. May have to resort to iWork for myself and MS OFFICE for my client work?

2. photo sync. Love the idea, but.... On a typical weekend I may take more than 1000 photos. Especially given I am going to start offering photography services. Nice to have an up-to-date-portfolio with me. But as I fill up SD cards, I dump them to my ipad (not sure if ipad can handle raw [.NEF files] - never tried it yet). Does this mean I can start losing pics as I dump more? also, I had major problems with iphoto losing photos on my (even with the last update). I use iphoto as a dumping ground or to order prints/books. Not for storage; ever since I lost 100's of photos only to be left with a 100X300 thumbnail.

3. Ok, if MobileMe is dead and we get Mail, Contacts, and calendar for free - what happens to my website? I use iWeb and have 2 websites. 1 for my business which is hosted with a real domain name; the other is personal and on MobileMe. Will my personal website eventually go away? I like the idea of contact, calendar, and mail sync being instantaneous.

4. Itunes Sync - so this means that since my entire 6000+ song library is ripped; does that mean I must pay $25.00 a year to match? I do not have the original CD's anymore for the most of them; since they got scratched, lost, and some were damaged in a fire. If I do not match - it sounds like I lose my music? What about all those indies or locals who are not on itunes. Also I deal with local artists. I heard something about uploading the song if no match. Working with local artists, copyright would bar me from doing that. Plus Itunes is integrated in many apps.

I would really hate to have to switch back and find Windows Apps for my business, and Linux just is not up to par with what I do.

Like I said; with building a business based on dealing with client documents (writing / documentation services), offering photography, and offering DJ service - I REALLY HAVE TO DIGEST WHAT ALL THIS NOW MEANS.

Especially since I am in a state that is still very rural (lot of edge network - if any connection); and not that much wi-fi.

No... it means don't use the service if you have poor network services. No one will force you to use iCloud, but it is useful if you need it.

BTW... the 1000 photo's is all that will be auto-shared to your other devices from your phone to your iPad. But, when going to your desktop, all photos will be saved.

mrmattmarks
[removed by user]

Thunderhawks

I already have Gmail.

I already have Flickr.

None of them sync automatically to all your mobile and other devices.
YOU have to sync them.

thefourthpope
Jun 6, 2011, 03:23 PM

I'm not clear on your other points, but as to the iTunes Match: you would only pay that fee if you want wireless access via the iCloud on your mobile devices. Not matching songs (for your local bands) means you either upload them to iCloud, or just don't get the benefit (whatever the real benefit is) of having wireless access to them.

Dietmar
Jun 6, 2011, 03:24 PM
I found this

Summary
Effective June 6, 2011, if you had an active MobileMe account, your service has been automatically extended through June 30, 2012, at no additional charge. After this, the MobileMe service will no longer be available.

Doesn't say if I we get money back - my account was renewed in January, which means I should get half of it back

tripjammer
Jun 6, 2011, 03:25 PM

ok you folks dont read the web...everybody knew that mobileme was gonna be killed around WWDC time...but......iCloud is not gonna be released till this fall...so you still have use and time on your mobileme...I let mine expire because I new Apple was gonna come correct and bring us a proper Cloud system.

baleensavage
Jun 6, 2011, 03:26 PM
For those of us that haven't bothered with MobileMe, this is a pretty awesome free service. I'd like to see some info on what Apple is doing for security. Can you imagine the fallout if something like happened with Sony's servers happened to these servers? All of a sudden a hacker has all your mail, contacts, every document you've made and your photos. Pretty scary thought. Or imagine Apple getting slammed with a subpoena and divulging all that data to the government. Otherwise though, a great service at a perfect price.

BigDukeSix
I want to find out if there is an 'on/off' swith for photo sharing. I would hate to up or download some adult photos onto my macbook, and then have them show up on my wife's mini/iphone/ipad, since we share the same itunes account. That would not be a good thing....

procksa49er1120
I jsut re-upped my mobile me last November??? Do I get a partial refund for unused services?

nacaseven
Jun 6, 2011, 03:27 PM
Okay... I share my iTunes Account with my girlfriend - does that mean that everytime I take a picture / save a document / write something in my calendar / etc... it gets pushed to her too? And her Mac?

I also have a second iTunes Account from my own country (I use the US-Account for rentals and iOS purchases via Giftcards, the other one for Appstore-Purchases via Credit Card) - which one should I use for the iCloud? Can I connect them?

Or do I just get something completely wrong?

asphalt-proof

If your taking 1000+ pics a weekend then this is not for you. And since it's not a requirement that you do have it, it really doesn't affect you one way or another. The iTunes Match is also something you don't have to have. Just because iTunes doesn't have your songs, it doesn't mean it going to delete them from your library. If this is a business you running, I think your best bet would be to get the OSX Lion server. According to Apple.com, it's going to be $50. It may be the better route for you.

mrjosh
I wonder (and doubt) if you will be able to merge multiple ID's. I have 2 email addresses, plus my wife's iTunes account. It would be nice to have all this stored in one central place. Maybe an iFamily lite account. I'd pay for it.

Of course, if you can now merge itunes accounts and I've missed it, please correct me.

mrmattmarks
[removed by user]

tripjammer
YOU have to sync them.

Now he gets it...plus it built into the OS...Nice apple...you killed the industry.

StrikerObi
Jun 6, 2011, 03:28 PM
My big question is will iCloud sync podcasts.

Obviously, podcasts will sync from iTunes to iOS via the new wifi syncing system. That's great, but I don't want to rely on iTunes to manage my podcasts. I'm hoping all of my podcast subscriptions are listed up in the cloud, and when a new episode comes out it will be automatically sent to all of my devices. And when I listen to an episode and stop half-way through, that point-in-time should be synced so I can resume on another device (a la iBooks). When I delete an episode I am done with, it should be removed from all other devices as well.

I've got Instacast and it does almost all of this, but it can't look for new episodes unless it is running, and I don't think it can sync playback points across devices (haven't tried, though the app does support syncing your list of subscriptions to Dropbox).

alaris23
I hope someone from Apple is reading this thread and sensing the confusion and concern!

mrmattmarks
[removed by user]

Toine
Jun 6, 2011, 03:29 PM
Hey guys,

Appl has posted some info about MobileMe Refunds:

"If you had an active paid or trial MobileMe subscription as of June 6, 2011, your service has been automatically extended through June 30, 2012, at no additional charge. However, if you choose, you can cancel your subscription at any time for a pro-rated refund. For more details, see this article."

So for all those who just paid for their annual subscription (like me), well... Bad for u then. Because you subscribed before June, you won't get the free one-year extension. :mad:

Small White Car
Jun 6, 2011, 03:29 PM
I'm loving it. The API has me more excited than anything. The developers that leverage that well will soon find themselves at the tops of the Mac and iOS stores.

sfsurfer
Jun 6, 2011, 03:31 PM
Apple doesn't charge for storage in the cloud for these things, but no obvious mention that each download outside a WiFi network counting against your AT&T data plan allotment (I realize that this has always been true, but the new iCloud is tempting to be able to download specific music from your library anywhere and at any time).

That being said, how is the AT&T network going to handle this additional load because it's still not great service, at least in the bay area.

It's a concern for me also as I can't get DSL or Cable internet service where I live and rely on my tethered iPhone for internet access. Guess I probably won't be turning the cloud on at home (also, my library is far too big for the iCloud as it stands).

0dev
Jun 6, 2011, 03:31 PM
I don't know about you lot, but if the recent Sony hack(s) have taught me one thing, it's that keeping personal info in "the cloud" is a stupid idea. What I want from this service is a way to turn it the hell off and keep my data in my computer and away from Apple's servers.

rscott505
Jun 6, 2011, 03:34 PM
For what's it's worth, here is a posting I put on Apple's support community as I am concerned about managing the content on all my family's devices. With the exception of calendars and contacts, we like to keep our lives separate for practical reasons, like I hate Josh Groban, and my wife loves him, to parental reasons, my young children don't need to listen to Kanye West. Also, I don't want every device to get every picture I take. Right now I manage my photo library by using my laptop to edit pictures and then import all the finished photos onto the device of whoever wants a particular picture. If every picture automatically gets downloaded onto everyone's computer, then this creates real havoc with disk space.

Here is the post, and I'm curious as to others' thoughts.

My family has used mobileme very efficiently to keep all of our macs, iphone and ipads synced with calender and contact data. It is a nice way to keep us all on the same page. Now, with iCloud, I'm rethinking the value of keep all of the devices synced. I purchase music, movies and some apps that are not necessarily kid friendly. For instance, when I bought Kanye West's "Runaway" I certainly did not want that on my 11 year-old daughter's macbook pro, or my 8 year-old son's iPad.

On another note, I am confused about photos. First, I wouldn't want the photos I import into the photo library to reside on my wife's macbook pro. She is runnig out of hard drive space, and doesn't need to have the photos on her computer. If she wants to view photos, she can view them from a share libary. Plus, when we go away on vacation, we tend to dump all photos off our iPads and iPhones to maximize space for movies and videos. Won't these photos just take away more memory.

Also, this concept of once a photo is imported onto a computer it is on all devices doesn't make sense if you plan to edit photos. I am a lousy photographer, and always need to edit photos. So now everyone on my account not only loses hard drive space because the photos get pushed to the device, they get a lousy picture on their device. This doesn't make sense. I know these are two examples, but I really hope that Apple puts in place a way to manage the content on the devices.

Hyde
Jun 6, 2011, 03:35 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

how come I don't hear anyone complaining or at the very least being highly suspicious of a conglomerate who says that they are trying to get rid of your ability to keep your digital everything PRIVATE? we give them ALL our docs, tastes in music, books, and movies, our private mail and text messages, our family and friends photos and contact info, etc. this is ludicrous. it's a complete invasion of privacy that they would have access to at all time for who-knows-what. these companies are targets for hackers EVERY DAY and get hacked into with valuable data stolen ALL THE TIME.

oh - and let's house everything at your 'secure' server cloud and then when we are in a spotty coverage area or no coverage area - we are just screwed. this makes no sense. I had files on storage with Apple in 1999-2000 and they deleted them all. I dunno guys.

ten-oak-druid
Jun 6, 2011, 03:35 PM
I'm concerned about web site hosting going away and with it the iweb application. It is not clear that this part of mobileme will migrate to the icloud.

Apple may be looking at sharing of pictures and video through the icloud and social networking sites to be the only us most people have. They may consider web sites to be unnecessary now. I hope this is not the case.

rhett7660
Jun 6, 2011, 03:37 PM
My big question is will iCloud sync podcasts.

Obviously, podcasts will sync from iTunes to iOS via the new wifi syncing system. That's great, but I don't want to rely on iTunes to manage my podcasts. I'm hoping all of my podcast subscriptions are listed up in the cloud, and when a new episode comes out it will be automatically sent to all of my devices. And when I listen to an episode and stop half-way through, that point-in-time should be synced so I can resume on another device (a la iBooks). When I delete an episode I am done with, it should be removed from all other devices as well.

I've got Instacast and it does almost all of this, but it can't look for new episodes unless it is running, and I don't think it can sync playback points across devices (haven't tried, though the app does support syncing your list of subscriptions to Dropbox).

This would be nice if it also does podcasts. This would be really nice actually. Interesting they didn't mention podcasts specifically. I am hoping it does. I have been on the fence about Instacast since I first heard of it and then I started to hear rumors about this.

This might be the ticket for me to move away from gmail. Although, I don't think I will do it immediatly. Wait till some of the dust settles.

bushido
Jun 6, 2011, 03:37 PM
its already happening

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/7317/fotoxo.png

0dev
Jun 6, 2011, 03:38 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

how come I don't hear anyone complaining or at the very least being highly suspicious of a conglomerate who says that they are trying to get rid of your ability to keep your digital everything PRIVATE? we give them ALL our docs, tastes in music, books, and movies, our private mail and text messages, our family and friends photos and contact info, etc. this is ludicrous. it's a complete invasion of privacy that they would have access to at all time for who-knows-what. these companies are targets for hackers EVERY DAY and get hacked into with valuable data stolen ALL THE TIME.

oh - and let's house everything at your 'secure' server cloud and then when we are in a spotty coverage area or no coverage area - we are just screwed. this makes no sense. I had files on storage with Apple in 1999-2000 and they deleted them all. I dunno guys.

Exactly right. I'm moving operating systems if they don't put a massive "Off" switch on this. In fact, even if they do, I might purchase LittleSnitch just so I can keep an eye on what's going on.

hellodon
I wonder if there will be a full beta of iCloud for devs?

Toine
Hey guys,

Appl has posted some info about MobileMe Refunds:

"If you had an active paid or trial MobileMe subscription as of June 6, 2011, your service has been automatically extended through June 30, 2012, at no additional charge. However, if you choose, you can cancel your subscription at any time for a pro-rated refund. For more details, see this article."

So for all those who just paid for their annual subscription (like me), well... Bad for u then. Because you subscribed before June, you won't get the free one-year extension.

Only thing left to do, ask for a refund:
https://ssl.apple.com/support/mobileme/cancel/

Hope this helps

kjr39
Jun 6, 2011, 03:39 PM

The question that I have for anything that gets uploaded to a 'cloud' is who owns it? Apple? Me? Someone else?

rhett7660
Jun 6, 2011, 03:40 PM
Exactly right. I'm moving operating systems if they don't put a massive "Off" switch on this. In fact, even if they do, I might purchase LittleSnitch just so I can keep an eye on what's going on.

I thought they mentioned in the keynote this could be turned off and on. I don't know if it is per service or all or nothing type thing thou. Still trying to figure this one out myself.

StrikerObi
Jun 6, 2011, 03:40 PM
This would be nice if it also does podcasts. This would be really nice actually. Interesting they didn't mention podcasts specifically. I am hoping it does. I have been on the fence about Instacast since I first heard of it and then I started to hear rumors about this.

This might be the ticket for me to move away from gmail. Although, I don't think I will do it immediatly. Wait till some of the dust settles.

Instacast is $2 and will save you hours upon hours of frustration.

With iCloud, the cloud copy becomes the master copy and everything (contacts, events, photos, and music if you pay extra) syncs against that. If the master copy of a podcast is still iTunes, it'll be insane. But somehow I think this will be how it shakes out.

If this ends up being the case, I will cross my fingers for an update to Instacast that leverages the iCloud APIs to solve the same problem.

What drives me batty about this is that I know Apple can do this. I have an AppleTV and it lets me keep a list of "favorite" podcasts. They're not quite subscriptions since the AppleTV is streaming only, but that list of "favorites" is tied to my iTunes account. If they are syncing all this other info with my iOS and OS X devices, why not include podcasts? I'm thinking the reason is that syncing podcasts will cost them a whole lot of bandwidth for something that they make no profit from.

baleensavage
Jun 6, 2011, 03:41 PM
I want to find out if there is an 'on/off' swith for photo sharing. I would hate to up or download some adult photos onto my macbook, and then have them show up on my wife's mini/iphone/ipad, since we share the same itunes account. That would not be a good thing....
Do you seriously use iPhoto for your porn? Photo syncing is only going to sync photos in iPhoto, not every photo on your hard drive. Now if you're taking nude pics of your mistress on your iPhone, then yeah, you're screwed. ;)

blehpunk
Jun 6, 2011, 03:41 PM
I think I'm having flashbacks from the .mac to mobileme transition which ate all of my mail. Not to mention the recent mobileme calendar "upgrade" which, again, ate all of my info.

amaxware
Jun 6, 2011, 03:42 PM

What about the other things that you can sync using mobileme, like keychains?
Does that stay? Will there be a keychains app on IOS 5 since I don't "need" a PC?

brezz
Jun 6, 2011, 03:43 PM
I guess I am a little confused. I was hoping iCloud was going to allow me to take music/photos off of my computer and store it in a "locker" in the cloud. That way I could free up some hard drive space and not need to rely on my MacBook as much for storage.

Am I missing something?

Brian

bushido
u can already use that "cloud" feature in iTunes, i just redownloaded songs i didnt even knew i owned lol but as expected it only works on my US account :mad:

phinsup
My mobile me was supposed to renew July 12th it now says extended until June 30 2012 at no additional charge.

joemarioz
Jun 6, 2011, 03:44 PM

#4 It will eventually upload them if it doesn't find any copy on their (18000000 songs)database....and yes you must pay 25$

brezz
Jun 6, 2011, 03:45 PM
I had one more question. Did they say anything about Notes syncing to the cloud? Right now I am using evernote but my wife prefers the Notes application on her iPhone. We have had some issues with her notes not syncing right so it would be nice to have them stored in the Cloud for access.

Brian

baleensavage
I guess I am a little confused. I was hoping iCloud was going to allow me to take music/photos off of my computer and store it in a "locker" in the cloud. That way I could free up some hard drive space and not need to rely on my MacBook as much for storage.

Am I missing something?

Brian
Nope, you're just going to have to find a different service to do that. Photos are still going to take up hard drive space.

davidwes

Am I missing something?

Brian

Yes, you are missing something. Jobs specifically said in his speech that icloud is not a hard drive on the internet.

This of icloud as a free, amazing syncer. All your data stored locally on all your computers, and updated instantly whenever you take a photo, edit a document, etc.

iVoid
Jun 6, 2011, 03:46 PM
"Apple has been working for 10 years to get rid of the file-storage system. It started with iOS, and has made its way to the Mac."

And it's one of the reasons I can't use iPhone/iPad for serious work. The document handling is ridiculous. Maybe iCloud will help this, but only if you trust apple with your data.

mrmattmarks
[removed by user]

stockscalper

I already have Gmail.

I already have Flickr.

Been doing all of this on a Droid phone. From the looks of the new notification center, ie a screen that you pull down alal Android, it looks like all Apple is doing is trying to keep up with Google and Android. It would be nice if they would think outside the box and knock something out of the park for once.

fpnc
Jun 6, 2011, 03:47 PM
Well, no new streaming service from Apple!?!?

These rumors about iTunes-based streaming were really the only thing I was excited about. I already have high-quality rips in iTunes for all of the CDs that I've purchased and I currently do custom syncs to each of my iOS devices using the existing iTunes app. Thus, for me this new wireless syncing capability adds very little over what I can do today.

The free document syncing for iOS devices is nice, but I was really hoping for a cloud-based streaming service for all of my media. I guess my Pogoplug is going to have to remain in service even though it doesn't work very reliably with my iPhone 3GS.

miamialley
Jun 6, 2011, 03:48 PM
Sorry, but a great big YAWN from me. Apple had a head start on the mobile device market, but is now only neck and neck with the competition.

Remember when copy & paste was a 'great' new feature to iOS?

I'm not leaving for Android or anything, but this is a let down.

chaosbunny
Jun 6, 2011, 03:48 PM

Thank you, I couldn't have said it any better. The only thing that interests me about iCloud is, how do I turn it OFF.

legacyb4
Jun 6, 2011, 03:50 PM
You can authorize a device (and iTunes) to use applications from multiple accounts; I do this to allow my son to use my purchased apps on his iPod while he has his own account for downloading free games and music.

In our household, we have 2 iPhones and one iPad. We consider all three devices to be owned by the household, and therefore purchase any apps under a "joint" Apple ID so they get downloaded to all devices that want them. Additionally, my wife and I would share calendar and (most) contact data. A shared photo library would make sense for us as well. So iCloud under a joint account sounds about right until you consider...

DudeDad
Yes - and I already see the 'cloud' icons. It's either cloud icon, or "installed"

Same is true for iTunes on your phone....just downloaded 23 songs I purchased yesterday but had not yet put on my phone...

Robertus
Apple has been working for 10 years to get rid of the file-storage system. It started with iOS, and has made its way to the Mac. iCloud entirely removes the concept of file-storage. Apps manage presentation of its own documents. Apps can store documents in iCloud, documents pushed automatically, with automatic updates on all devices when content is changed anywhere.

Doing away file-storage system from the Mac scares me. I'm not entirely comfortable with the idea of leaving personal information and incomplete data to iCloud from my future Mac system. I wanted to directly access to them from my Mac's HDD (and syncing with iPad or iPhone if I need it) instead of some wireless data-in-the-sky system. Potentially, any hacker can get into iCloud and steal your data.

jayducharme
Jun 6, 2011, 03:51 PM

iCloud has been Steve Jobs' dream for 15 years. Technology has finally caught up with his vision. I'm impressed that it's offered free, but 5 gb is nothing these days. I have 20 gb of photos alone -- and that's just part of my collection. I'm hoping that as storage costs continue to drop, iCloud will become a suitable replacement for my home hard drive.

tomatillo
Jun 6, 2011, 03:52 PM
Maybe I'm just too old. I still can't figure out why anybody thinks that "doing away with the file system" and sandboxing data is even remotely a good idea.

When I'm on the computer, I work on projects. A typical project has three or four word processing documents, two or three spreadsheets, some files of lab instrument output, dozens of images, and a thread of email messages. It all needs to be kept together, not spread around randomly in different sandboxes.

I just can't picture a workflow that could possibly accomplish anything in this brave new wurld.

MacAddict1978

That's funny. They haven't been selling it, and I thought they blacked out renewals? Hopefully you'll be getting a healthy refund...

joemarioz
I had one more question. Did they say anything about Notes syncing to the cloud? Right now I am using evernote but my wife prefers the Notes application on her iPhone. We have had some issues with her notes not syncing right so it would be nice to have them stored in the Cloud for access.

Brian

The new Reminders app probably will.... it's like a simpler 2Do or Things... but it will now come built in on iOS 5...

miografico
Jun 6, 2011, 03:53 PM
Do you seriously use iPhoto for your porn? Photo syncing is only going to sync photos in iPhoto, not every photo on your hard drive. Now if you're taking nude pics of your mistress on your iPhone, then yeah, you're screwed. ;)

Sorry but the original poster's question was a very valid question. It has nothing to do with if you are taking pictures of a sexual nature or not. If you have a family and one main Apple id, Mobile me id et al. who says I want them automatically having access to what photos I take? If there is no option to make it a manual process and not just an off and on switch that's a MAJOR blunder. Who says I want other members of my household to have access to my business documents?

If they do not allow for multiple iCloud accounts under one Apple id the service is worthless for multiple iDevice households.

All that being said I am very interested to see what me and my team can do with the new API's, but if those two issues aren't made clear I don't see myself using it all that much.

Icaras
Jun 6, 2011, 03:54 PM
It really isn't. Also we are not in a post pc era.

If you have less than 5GB of stuff on your iOS device, then yes, some people are in a post pc era, or will be very soon.

mrmattmarks
Jun 6, 2011, 03:55 PM
[removed by user]

ArcaneDevice
Jun 6, 2011, 03:56 PM

iCloud has been Steve Jobs' dream for 15 years. Technology has finally caught up with his vision. I'm impressed that it's offered free

Imagine how impressed you would have been when Steve went on stage ten years and gave away a lot of these features free under iTools!

Before they about faced and started to charge for it. "Free" doesn't mean forever in the Apple world.

Ironduke
Jun 6, 2011, 03:58 PM
so its free to all people who buy an apple product?

what about the 69 quid apple taxed me at christmas to renew my mobile me sub:rolleyes:

3goldens
Jun 6, 2011, 04:01 PM
After reading through 4 pages of repeated posts and questions all I can say is some of you folks should take a big fat chill pill and relax.

am I going to get a refund for my mobil me
What do I do with my codes I bought for the failed mobil me service
Why do I do with my web site
No streaming?
Can I turn it off
How much is more space
What's a cloud
No iDisk
Why about the rumored integration of time capsule
What happens if my wife gets my porn synced to her iPad

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!
:eek:
Then there was the call to the apple representative, and the posted chat session.....

did you really think they were going to have the answer or did you just have some extra time on your hands and wanted to jerk some poor operator off?
Seriously, it's 3 months off, the memo isn't out yet and you'll get it when it is, until, then, just relax, everything will work itself out.

Always does..:)

P.S. Heres a novel idea: Try reading the posts before repeating yet another question already asked and already answered!

Antares
Jun 6, 2011, 04:01 PM
I just hope we don't loose our .me & .mac e-mail aliases. Those are actually more important to me than the main account. My aliases better transition over as well as the main ".me" account.

hampy
Jun 6, 2011, 04:03 PM
Not for the first time, you feel that the loyal customers -- in this instance, those of us who've actually slogged through the choppy MobileMe experience -- are the last thing on Apple's mind as it looks for new business. Instead of simply deleting every reference to MobileMe on the homepage, why not include a link ("MobileMe customers click here for info") and some reassuring information on how we'll transition to iCloud? The dour support document isn't very reassuring, and is mostly about money and rebates rather than services.

I'd like to know about disk storage options, for sure; and about what happens to Back to My Mac, which is the only reason I have MobileMe rather than Dropbox. Guess what pops up when you try to access the old Apple page on that feature?

"Hmm, the page youíre looking for canít be found."

SimplyLKB
Jun 6, 2011, 04:03 PM
You can authorize a device (and iTunes) to use applications from multiple accounts; I do this to allow my son to use my purchased apps on his iPod while he has his own account for downloading free games and music.

How do you do this? I asked at a Genius Bar for a way to do this, and was told I would just have to have both my husband and myself on one account... I've done it, but it's been a total pain. :mad:

intensity9
Jun 6, 2011, 04:04 PM
According to Apple Tech Support, my mobileme account expires June 30th 2012. iDisk will remain in tact as it currently is.

mrboult
Jun 6, 2011, 04:05 PM
Haven't seen any mention of bookmark syncing either? Is that going to disappear after mobile me or is icloud going to do that too? Would hate to losse that function.

h00ligan
Jun 6, 2011, 04:06 PM
How long befor a man and wife share an account and one takes naughty pics for a heated affair...synching to the others phone?

This stuff looks convenient but not for multiuser households, and brings a lot of security concerns.

Also, is it a two way sync? If I delete on one device does it delete in all? Versions and casual snaps could be out of control fast.

Toine
Jun 6, 2011, 04:07 PM

iCloud has been Steve Jobs' dream for 15 years. Technology has finally caught up with his vision. I'm impressed that it's offered free, but 5 gb is nothing these days. I have 20 gb of photos alone -- and that's just part of my collection. I'm hoping that as storage costs continue to drop, iCloud will become a suitable replacement for my home hard drive.

You did not get any of what Jobs told, did u?

Cloud = NOT an online storage system, (like MobielMe was, or tried to be.)

btcutter
Everyone's MobileMe has been automatically renewed till June 2012! You have a year from now to adjust and move data if you want. Or just wait till all the announcements from Apple comes out.

iDisk, Galleries, iWeb etc are all available for another year FREE! We post here because most of us are pretty tech savy. One year to adapt is REALLY long time!

Chill! it'll be fine.

h00ligan
How do you do this? I asked at a Genius Bar for a way to do this, and was told I would just have to have both my husband and myself on one account... I've done it, but it's been a total pain. :mad:

Your initial sync has to be done with a computer. Then for updates you sign into the proper accounts. You can toggle back and forth on the device but with the new system that may sync a whole lot of other stuff.

h00ligan
Jun 6, 2011, 04:08 PM
You did not get any of what Jobs told, did u?

Cloud = NOT an online storage system, (like MobielMe was, or tried to be.)

Helpful and polite! Par for macrumors!

c.galaz1
Jun 6, 2011, 04:09 PM
I just hope we don't loose our .me & .mac e-mail aliases. Those are actually more important to me than the main account. My aliases better transition over as well as the main ".me" account.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4632

Tom359
Jun 6, 2011, 04:13 PM
I have a MMe account, (.mac, actually), so we have our email addresses which I assume will xfer over to iCloud. What if you never had a MMe email address? How are you assigned a new one? What domain name will it use?

:eek::confused:

jennyp
Jun 6, 2011, 04:15 PM

This Apple article implies we won't lose them (I think!) :

"The ability to add, delete, or change an email alias will be available for MobileMe members that move to iCloud, once it is available this fall."

Cougarcat
Anybody understand how the Backup works? Is it a full 64 GB of space (the size of the biggest iOS device) or are there limitations?

And what about backup for the mac...?

H. Flower
And this is easing the burden of syncing? I still have to download. I don't need a cable - but so what?

mrmattmarks
Jun 6, 2011, 04:16 PM
[removed by user]

H. Flower
Jun 6, 2011, 04:17 PM
After reading through 4 pages of repeated posts and questions all I can say is some of you folks should take a big fat chill pill and relax.

am I going to get a refund for my mobil me
What do I do with my codes I bought for the failed mobil me service
Why do I do with my web site
No streaming?
Can I turn it off
How much is more space
What's a cloud
No iDisk
Why about the rumored integration of time capsule
What happens if my wife gets my porn synced to her iPad

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!
:eek:
Then there was the call to the apple representative, and the posted chat session.....

did you really think they were going to have the answer or did you just have some extra time on your hands and wanted to jerk some poor operator off?
Seriously, it's 3 months off, the memo isn't out yet and you'll get it when it is, until, then, just relax, everything will work itself out.

Always does..:)

P.S. Heres a novel idea: Try reading the posts before repeating yet another question already asked and already answered!

Some of the repeated questions are rhetorical.

superfula
Man, too little too late for me. I've already switched over from mac.com to email address under gmail and my own domain. Given their history of putting out such a poor product, I really have no desire switch email addresses again

peanuthead
I currently use Google contacts/mail/calendar to sync all of my info to all of my various devices (PC, Mac, iPhone, Android phone).
I also use dropbox for work files and Picasa/Flickr for pics.

Can anyone point out any advantage iCloud may have over my current setup?

c.galaz1
Jun 6, 2011, 04:18 PM
The actual MobileMe subscribers that have email addresses and aliases are going to work with cloud,

BigDukeSix
Jun 6, 2011, 04:18 PM

LOL...No I don't use IPhoto for that. But, from the way it all sounded, it almost seemed like everything sync's with everything, not just what is in your IPhoto collection.
And, good point about using the IPhone for fun stuff and having it bite a person in the ass....

JustLeft
Jun 6, 2011, 04:19 PM
Update: Just logged into MobileMe and it recognized that I had a pending renewal and provided a link to request a refund. Submitted the request.

Not in my case. I have prepaid for 1 year. That year is pending, and will begin Nov 2011. So I paid through Nov 2012.

Why should you get money back??? You bought the service, and will continue to have that service for longer than you bought (Jan 2011 - June 2012).
Just because I bought an iPhone a month before the iPhone 4 came out doesn't mean I got a refund. You are getting what you paid for.

ILikeTurtles
Shes telling the truth. Apple employees are usually the last people to find out things.

Jesus! You gotta be kidding. iCloud was just announced, and already you people are bitching about a refund/credit/whatever!

Give it a few hours - maybe 24 if you can stand it! Apple isn't going to steal your money if you truly deserve some compensation.

My God. Relax. Take a pill. Bang your ugly wife. ****

LizKat
Great. Now if the United States will just deploy some broadband and cell towers to someplace besides metropolitan-sprawl areas, we'll all actually be cloud-ready.

Meanwhile, the megacorporations are out there still trying to snuff out municipal wireless rollouts and keep things the way they are now, which is monopoly or duopoly net provision via DSL or cable TV in areas where there is little "free market" competition to bring fiber or cellular access. (Not getting all political about how deployment s/b paid for, just SAYIN')

Of course I am excited about this for people with high speed always-on capability, but hoping that the rest of us will not be left in the dust without a way to sync our devices to computers with cables when WiFi is not available. My DSL slows to a stutter just about every night...

So the "weather" for iCloud looks... kinda foggy, at least to me here in the sticks. I await more sunshine on how iCloud will work :)

3goldens
Jun 6, 2011, 04:21 PM
Whiners of the forum world:

Take the time to go watch the video that's up and then wait for the answers, stop calling apple and expecting anyone to tell you something they don't know.

Stop posting silly questions no one here knows the answers to is just silly and redundant. But geez if its making you feel better to whine then fine, whine away.

No one is taking your email address away, or your alias away that has been stated. Wondering if folks are even bothering to read whats out there?

You will get a refund, again, stated. Their will be a transition, all will work out,if it doesn't surely there will be options, always are!

Some of you really need to get a grip and relax and stop asking stupid questions!

caughtintheweb
Jun 6, 2011, 04:21 PM

The reason why no one is complaining is that they are sensible to realize that keeping a copy of your music, pictures and documents is not an invasion of privacy. No one would go to great depths to hack and check out your pictures on iCloud. And if you feel any of your documents are highly sensitive, the simple option is not to put those on iCloud. Someone is providing you an easy way to manage your files for literally free, least you can do is appreciate it and not blame them.

MacMan67
Jun 6, 2011, 04:23 PM
I hope it is this way to allow for families to still share a single account for purchasing apps and music.

You always could, just use the same itunes ID on up to 5 devices and 5 macs or PC's and your golden, you could only download the music once but you could physically transfer to up to 5 computers...

This just makes it easier, 10 devices, auto sync between them...

joemarioz
Jun 6, 2011, 04:25 PM
goddam!! I was tempted to make the 60 day trial mobile me account yesterday... do you think it could've been extended till 2012 even if it was only a trial version?

cav23j
Jun 6, 2011, 04:26 PM
Wrong, it was still available up until today. However, now they will not be accepting new subscribers. Those that are already members, and even those who have renewed in the last week, will receive the full service until June 2012. No refunds. You get what you paid for.

your now paying for a free service unless they throw in iTunes Match in free for every MobileMe user but thats still only $25 compared to the $99 the service cost

mrmattmarks
Jun 6, 2011, 04:37 PM
[removed by user]

montom
Jun 6, 2011, 04:38 PM
Sorry, no deal without full encryption of all private documents sent and stored on the Cloud.

MarsDude
Jun 6, 2011, 04:40 PM
You always could, just use the same itunes ID on up to 5 devices and 5 macs or PC's and your golden, you could only download the music once but you could physically transfer to up to 5 computers...

This just makes it easier, 10 devices, auto sync between them...

That is exactly the thing you DON'T want. You DO want that one account for purchases, but you don't want your wife to see the picture you took of the present you are getting her for her birthday on her phone.

gcmexico
Jun 6, 2011, 04:41 PM
anyone noticed that mirroring iPad screen wirelessly to TV, basically kills google tv...that is absolutely SICK!! no need for other boxes, just need an appletv, iPad...you can run everything Hulu Plus, Netflix, EyeTV, Plex...can't wait for this!!

smdapple
Jun 6, 2011, 04:43 PM
I've been a loyal Apple customer for many years but I'm starting to look for an alternative now.

They screwed us in the transition from mac.com to MobileMe and now they screw us going to iCloud. They screwed my account over so bad for months where I couldn't sync anything so they gave me a free year of MobileMe that lasts well past the 2012 date and that is meaningless now. Of course no money back.

The plethora of technical issues (syncing not working anymore so having to recover from old Mac backups manually and losing data in the process, etc.) and quirks (calendar events disappearing or reappearing after deleting, etc.) plus it taking them months and numerous requests from me to do something about it do not give me any confidence they will be able to handle the larger volume of users with free iCloud. Be forewarned.

We had to manually recreate home pages that we created on mac.com so I'm sure our picture galleries and probably iWeb pages are hosed as well.

MobileMe security was based on hackers not bothering with the small user community much like the Macs of yonder year but with iCloud, Apple's meager security efforts (e.g. iOS encryption) will be hacked in no time. I will not be transitioning to iCloud anytime soon.

Oh, AND they give us little more than what Google already offers!

Kaibelf
Jun 6, 2011, 04:43 PM

I already have Gmail.

I already have Flickr.

Can you name the single website that provides all of those services seamlessly and links to all of your devices? Durr. :rolleyes:

BigDukeSix
Jun 6, 2011, 04:44 PM
Whiners of the forum world:

Take the time to go watch the video that's up and then wait for the answers, stop calling apple and expecting anyone to tell you something they don't know.

Stop posting silly questions no one here knows the answers to is just silly and redundant. But geez if its making you feel better to whine then fine, whine away.

No one is taking your email address away, or your alias away that has been stated. Wondering if folks are even bothering to read whats out there?

You will get a refund, again, stated. Their will be a transition, all will work out,if it doesn't surely there will be options, always are!

Some of you really need to get a grip and relax and stop asking stupid questions!

We are products of the digital age. We want all the answers, immediately, and beamed directly into our brains so we do not have to read and wonder at all.

I just hope Apple folks read all this so they do have the answers to the questions in the next couple of months.

jsjacob
Jun 6, 2011, 04:46 PM
Been doing all of this on a Droid phone. From the looks of the new notification center, ie a screen that you pull down alal Android, it looks like all Apple is doing is trying to keep up with Google and Android. It would be nice if they would think outside the box and knock something out of the park for once.

Yeah, Apple really failed when the first iPhone couldn't even do what Android did in 2007. And then tripped over themselves when the iPad didn't match Honeycomb last year! Fail, fail, fail.

NB: Because I know there are those that don't recognize it, this is sarcasm.

abeg
Jun 6, 2011, 04:48 PM
Information about the MobileMe transition
Last Modified: June 06, 2011
Article: HT4597

Summary

Products Affected
MobileMe
What will happen to the content I have on MobileMe?
Apple has announced a new service called iCloud which will be available this fall and free for iOS 5 and OS X Lion users. When you sign up for iCloud, you'll be able to keep your me.com or mac.com email address and move your MobileMe mail, contacts, calendars, and bookmarks to the new service.

When iCloud becomes available this fall, more details and instructions will be provided on how to make the move.

Can I create a new MobileMe account?
You can no longer create a new 60-day trial account or start a new subscription using a code contained in a MobileMe box. However, if you have a Family Pack subscription, you can still create new family member accounts.

Can I upgrade to a Family Pack or purchase additional storage?
Effective June 6, 2011, you can no longer upgrade your Individual account to a Family Pack or purchase additional storage for your MobileMe account.

I purchased a MobileMe box and have not used the activation code inside. Can I get refund for it?
Yes. If you have an unused activation code from a MobileMe box, you can submit a refund request. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4445

mr. who?
Jun 6, 2011, 04:53 PM
The reason why no one is complaining is that they are sensible to realize that keeping a copy of your music, pictures and documents is not an invasion of privacy. No one would go to great depths to hack and check out your pictures on iCloud. And if you feel any of your documents are highly sensitive, the simple option is not to put those on iCloud. Someone is providing you an easy way to manage your files for literally free, least you can do is appreciate it and not blame them.

Have you seen where it says you can turn this "off", or simply not upload to icloud? Not trying to antagonistic - I have a serious desire to turn the whole thing off. What troubles me already though, is that without my permission, every iDevice in my household can now see what apps I've bought and potentially downloaded on my iphone. Now, that's not a big deal in my house - I have nothing to hide, and don't have anything that my family can't share in. But that's not the point. It's the very concept that apple has turned on something that I didn't elect to turn on. And if I don't have the option to turn it off, then what else is being stored to iCloud that I didn't opt in to?

Will I have the simple option of just indicating "no apple, I want to continue living in the PC era and store things on my computer, not in your cloud"? Not asking you directly - none of us have those answers yet, but that's the question that's important to me and many others at this point.

But anyway, your post infers a simple option of not putting info in iCloud. Is this an option you read about? Would like to know.

mr. who?
Jun 6, 2011, 04:54 PM
That is exactly the thing you DON'T want. You DO want that one account for purchases, but you don't want your wife to see the picture you took of the present you are getting her for her birthday on her phone.

Didn't think of this. And agree 100%. Really not liking this iCloud thing. Hope there is an option to turn it off completely and keep living in the PC era.

vw195
Jun 6, 2011, 04:56 PM
Can you name the single website that provides all of those services seamlessly and links to all of your devices? Durr. :rolleyes:

google.com ?

coachingguy
Jun 6, 2011, 04:58 PM
Not to be an a$$, but I've got no sympathy for anyone who bought or updated their Mobileme in the last 2 months. iCloud has been discussed on CNN, Fox Cnet, Fortune, NYtimes and obviously on the Mac sites. For you to update or buy it in that time, don't be pissed at apple. It's neat to have a @mac.com or @mobileme, but what'd you expect? Also, SJ didn't comment about Mobile Me at all today except to make a joke at his own expense about trusting the guys who did Mobile Me being able to pull iCloud off. My guess, you keep your email and apparently most of the other stuff you were paying for is now free.

Coachingguy

MacFever
Jun 6, 2011, 04:59 PM
just noticed this in my Mobile Me account info...

Information about the MobileMe transition

Last Modified: June 06, 2011
Article: HT4597

Read more:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4597

idunn
Jun 6, 2011, 05:02 PM
'iCloud entirely removes the concept of file-storage.'
- per 'Macrumors'

;) Oh, no, it does not.

Not to dismiss the many obvious benefits of iCloud, as it will obviously prove quite useful and popular. But as one well versed in the limitations of 1.3Mps download speeds (at best) I can also suggest that not everyone will be in a position to use something like iCloud effectively, or even necessarily want to.

At the outset the fact that anything not with you will be unusable if without internet access. If such access is increasingly more of a given in urban America, anyone traveling may be surprised at how easily they can find themselves entirely out of the loop.

Another serious consideration is the penny-pinching of ISP's who seem determined to throttle and cap data amounts. Such behavior is counter productive to schemes such as iCloud which demand unlimited data throughput at the highest possible speeds. Something will have to give, and preferably the 19th century thinking of ISP's and regulators.

Not that there is not a lot of upside to something like iCloud. Even now many of us probably find our data spread between various remote servers (clouds) and those personally owned. But the fuller transition to nebulous clouds will require not only all the greater bandwidth, and decent access prices to go with it, but also proven reliability that 'our' data is really ours. Because always able to access easily, with no technical problem, government entity, or other preventing it.

Until then, some things best kept close at hand.

ryanpfw
Jun 6, 2011, 05:03 PM
Have you seen where it says you can turn this "off", or simply not upload to icloud? Not trying to antagonistic - I have a serious desire to turn the whole thing off. What troubles me already though, is that without my permission, every iDevice in my household can now see what apps I've bought and potentially downloaded on my iphone. Now, that's not a big deal in my house - I have nothing to hide, and don't have anything that my family can't share in. But that's not the point. It's the very concept that apple has turned on something that I didn't elect to turn on. And if I don't have the option to turn it off, then what else is being stored to iCloud that I didn't opt in to?

Will I have the simple option of just indicating "no apple, I want to continue living in the PC era and store things on my computer, not in your cloud"? Not asking you directly - none of us have those answers yet, but that's the question that's important to me and many others at this point.

But anyway, your post infers a simple option of not putting info in iCloud. Is this an option you read about? Would like to know.

You beat me to the punch. From time to time it may be nice to buy a song on my iphone and have it instantly sync to the laptop at home, but that's it. If I can wireless sync my wife's ipad and my iphone, that's more than enough for me. I want to know if I can opt out of iCloud, period, and at most, specify precisely which files I want to share, and no more?

superfula
Jun 6, 2011, 05:05 PM
How many times do I have to say that MobileMe and iCloud are two different products. Seriously?

If Apple announced a new iPhone tomorrow, and decided to give it away free, you guys would be whining and complaining about having to had paid $200 for your iPhone 4 last week. And i'm sure we would be going through this same discussion, you get what you paid for - just because something new comes out doesn't mean you are entitled to a refund.

Listen - Just because they announce a new service that shall replace MobileMe - doesn't mean I am entitled to a refund. At the time of purchase I knew what I was buying, and I knew I was guaranteed that service for the next year.

iCloud is not MobileMe, and MobileMe is not iCloud. You get what you paid for, "at the time of purchase." That is - Mail, Calendar, Gallery, iDisk, and Find My iPhone. iCloud does not include those services AT THIS TIME. And when released, it will only be an alternative to MobileMe until MobileMe expires. MobileMe users are not required to switch to iCloud!! Therefor, I am not paying for a service that is otherwise free.

That's like comparing MobileMe ($99) with Google Apps (Free). I chose MobileMe, I chose to pay, I chose my service.

Wow, drinking a lot of the Apple cool aid there. You can say it once or 50 times, but it's still not true. MobileMe and iCloud are the same thing, just like dot Mac and iTools were before them. Giving it a new name and a couple cool features doesn't make it a brand new product. At most it's an upgrade.

The proper route would be for Apple to prorate refunds to mobileme subs. If I just re-upped my MM sub a couple months ago, I'll be paying for something for the next 10 months that others get for free with iCloud in the fall.

satkin2
Jun 6, 2011, 05:07 PM
Apple will have to introduce a way to consolidate IDs. I've currently got two, a MobileMe ID and an ID I had way before that which I use for my iTunes music and app purchases.

If I understand correctly, iCloud would use either my MobileMe ID, so sync that id with its mail, calendar etc, or my iTunes ID which would allow me to sync my music.

As it stands I don't see how I could sync everything as I am unable to consolidate the two IDs into one.

apolloa
Jun 6, 2011, 05:10 PM
I call this lame to be honest, I have a Mac I WANT to keep all my photo's on and I back it up to Timecapsule, I can use photo bucket or flikr or facebook if I wanted to, and I can upload direct from a phone to these if I wanted to.

I can see some point to it, but Data costs, that will kill this. Plus not a lot of people have the iPad with the monthly subscription on top of the mobile phone they carry in the UK.
I just managed to negotiate a very good deal for my phone but had to limit the data to 250mb to get it, and that's ONLY because it was an iPhone, any other phone I would get more but I was told Apple like to control what the operators can offer, actually I should have paid a lot more...

But upload video and photos and how long will my 250mb last? Plus it's not going to be fast.

This is a confusing service from Apple?

iCrizzo
Jun 6, 2011, 05:11 PM
I am assuming iWeb is a done deal now?? No mention of this.. not that it is great but I use it for my personal site.

ten-oak-druid
Jun 6, 2011, 05:12 PM
Not to be an a$$, but I've got no sympathy for anyone who bought or updated their Mobileme in the last 2 months. iCloud has been discussed on CNN, Fox Cnet, Fortune, NYtimes and obviously on the Mac sites. For you to update or buy it in that time, don't be pissed at apple. It's neat to have a @mac.com or @mobileme, but what'd you expect? Also, SJ didn't comment about Mobile Me at all today except to make a joke at his own expense about trusting the guys who did Mobile Me being able to pull iCloud off. My guess, you keep your email and apparently most of the other stuff you were paying for is not free.

Coachingguy

I explained my situation before. I purchased a cheap mobileme code last year. Couldn't use it until January. Only one per year may be entered. In November last year I had the opportunity to purchase another activation code for cheap when I got my iphone. I figured I was set for 2 years.

Luckily Apple has sympathy and allows a refund. I couldn't care less if you are sympathetic or not.

elsonsmith
Jun 6, 2011, 05:12 PM
MobileMe has been well worth the less than 10 a month!

I am an artist and photographer and I have been using the public gallery space to share with my friends and family. Set up so that those I give the address can actually download the full resolution file of the image they are viewing.

They love being able to have and print / use as desktops my images.
I love that my friends and family requests are no longer in my workflow.
I have been able to focus more on new projects instead of a constant stream of reprints matting framing old images. Sure this can be done other ways but MobileMe made it simple. Just upload directly from iPhoto or Aperture.

That was just my favorite part! The mail is sophisticated intelligent and very clean. The backup application is seamless and runs quite well (better than wireless time machine).

Hopefully by the time Me expires Apple will integrate these features as well as the ability to purchase additional space.

Also would hate to lose my Apple TV's connection to galleries and video files stored on me.com. Sounds like no streaming though!? So could it host and present my movies on Apple TV like me.com can?

A free year sure is welcome! :D Hopefully icloud will match and then exceed my experience with Me.com

:apple:Fingers Crossed.

benthewraith
Jun 6, 2011, 05:13 PM
Andre:

Kimberly:

It's this that makes me think iCloud will be as unreliable as MobileMe.

superfula
Jun 6, 2011, 05:14 PM
Not to be an a$$, but I've got no sympathy for anyone who bought or updated their Mobileme in the last 2 months. iCloud has been discussed on CNN, Fox Cnet, Fortune, NYtimes and obviously on the Mac sites. For you to update or buy it in that time, don't be pissed at apple.

I don't believe anyone thought Apple would screw them over by not handing out refunds. Shoot, no one expected the new service to be free either. Most expected Apple to charge and simply apply any credit from MM to iCloud

djrod
Jun 6, 2011, 05:14 PM

I already have Gmail.

I already have Flickr.

I don't get it.

I already have a CD player

I already have a DVD player

I already have a PDA

Why would I want to have all these things in just only one phone?

I think you get what I mean

Full of Win
Jun 6, 2011, 05:26 PM
I come out of this smelling like a rose. I get to keep my Mac.com email, I don't have to renew my Mobile Me in two months and I don't have to use the .me that the riffraff will be sporting.

gturban
Jun 6, 2011, 05:28 PM
I think this is a very clever move. I have been thinking for a long time that having paid subscriptions only is a huge dissadvantage compared to Google. They are finally going to be able to take on Google and in some extent Facebook. They should have done it when Gmail came, but late is better than never. Apple will get a lot of new subscribers through selling devices! I'm sure all reps will be very helpful setting up your .me address when you buy your iPhone.. And if all your friends have a .me email they can finally make ping work as well. I also think it will be a great boost to make people use facetime. If your device automatically know your potential facetime connections through your emails, people are going to find it more relevant to use!
I wish that they could have a dropbox like feature where you could place documents to share with others, also non .me users! But who knows, that might still be implemented...
I also hope they keep other .me features, and I'm sure they will sell extra space if 5GB is not enough, like google is..
And by extending all .me accounts for 1 year they give themselves time to think a bit more about how to implement the features.

vw195
Jun 6, 2011, 05:32 PM
I think this is a very clever move. I have been thinking for a long time that having paid subscriptions only is a huge dissadvantage compared to Google. They are finally going to be able to take on Google and in some extent Facebook. They should have done it when Gmail came, but late is better than never.

I guarantee you Jobs lost this argument kicking and screaming. It must kill him to give away mobile..i mean icloud for free. Nonetheless I will get an icloud account, although doubt it will ever be my main as gmail serves me nicely.

edit: and I dont know how clever it was. I would submit necessary.

Craiger77
Jun 6, 2011, 05:35 PM
People seem to be pretty confused here.

Apple will give you a prorated refund if you want to cancel...but understand that you are canceling your account and you will no longer have access to it. You will be free to sign up for another account when iCloud becomes active in the Fall, but you will loose everything you have on MobileMe now and the functionality that comes with it for some time.

For people saying others were stupid for renewing recently you should think more clearly. If someone hadn't renewed they would have lost their account and what it gives them until they could sign up again once iCloud becomes active in the Fall.

It seems apparent that MobileMe and iCloud are not equivalent. With no mention of Gallery, iWeb hosting etc, it seems these services are going away. By giving you access to these things for up to an extra year Apple feels it is compensating you enough without giving you a refund. You are paying because you are getting something that won't be available with iCloud. You may not agree this is fair, but I believe that is Apple's thinking.

I am sure with all the drama this is generating Apple will come up with more information sooner rather than later. Apple does a lot of things right, but when it comes to predicting the noise generated by some of their actions they seem to have real blinders.

edwurtle
Jun 6, 2011, 05:40 PM

No, you do not have to pay $25.00 a year to match. You can still use the old traditional syncing method with your pc/mac itunes. If you want to cut the cord and use icloud with your non-itunes-purchased music then this "match" offer is for you.

twoodcc
Jun 6, 2011, 05:42 PM
It seems pretty good. But what if we want more than 5gb?

macadam212
Jun 6, 2011, 05:51 PM
Pure speculation here but I think iDisk will continue as a paid upgrade - which is why we are all getting extensions to our purchased MobileMe services. If they were going away and being replaced by a more basic "free" service - why would we be getting extensions?

The alternative would be that Apple is decommissioning iDisk and we have an extended period of time to get used to it and find alternative services.

I would prefer the idea that Apple is keeping iDisk - because a mountable drive in the sky is still useful to some people and it might be useful to future apps that take advantage of the iCloud API.

ewoods
Jun 6, 2011, 05:56 PM
I don't get it.

I already have a CD player

I already have a DVD player

I already have a PDA

Why would I want to have all these things in just only one phone?

I think you get what I mean

I think the part that you're missing is that, to the average consumer, syncing to various services is already a seamless process on most devices. It's not like I have to sign into Gmail/Flickr/Facebook/etc every time I want to sync something. I set it up once, which takes maybe two minutes, and then the syncing happens automatically. So as far as user experience goes, I might as well be syncing to one service, even though I'm really syncing to five or six.

bilbo--baggins
Jun 6, 2011, 05:56 PM
Apple will have to introduce a way to consolidate IDs. I've currently got two, a MobileMe ID and an ID I had way before that which I use for my iTunes music and app purchases.

If I understand correctly, iCloud would use either my MobileMe ID, so sync that id with its mail, calendar etc, or my iTunes ID which would allow me to sync my music.

As it stands I don't see how I could sync everything as I am unable to consolidate the two IDs into one.

Yes it's about time they did this.

ozlow
Jun 6, 2011, 05:59 PM
This is just great... Now I get the following message when I update anything on my iPad with the Apple Store!

You've already purchased this but it hasn't been downloaded. If you're having trouble downloading it, select Check for Available Downloads from iTunes on your computer, then sync with your device.

Ok - ok - ok - ok - ok - ok! Sigh. Why mess with something that seemed to work fine before? So far not a fan of iCloud.

bilbo--baggins
Jun 6, 2011, 06:00 PM
I'm not yet convinced that I'll be able to do without my 50GB Dropbox account. With bad past experiences with iDisk, I'm not sure I'd entrust it all to Apple anyway.

ZipZapRap
Jun 6, 2011, 06:02 PM
LOL

http://wmpoweruser.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/belfiore2.png

jadot
Jun 6, 2011, 06:05 PM
I can't find any info on galleries. I publish thousands of pictures over the year for individual clients as proofing galleries. At any one time I have probably got anything up to 10,000 photographs online with Aperture and MobileMe.

So what happens there then?

miografico
Jun 6, 2011, 06:05 PM
Pure speculation here but I think iDisk will continue as a paid upgrade - which is why we are all getting extensions to our purchased MobileMe services. If they were going away and being replaced by a more basic "free" service - why would we be getting extensions?

The alternative would be that Apple is decommissioning iDisk and we have an extended period of time to get used to it and find alternative services.

I would prefer the idea that Apple is keeping iDisk - because a mountable drive in the sky is still useful to some people and it might be useful to future apps that take advantage of the iCloud API.

If you use iDisk I would go ahead and find a new service if you need that type of feature. (pure mobile any filetype storage)

I very much doubt it will be a paid upgrade. The reason they are baking all these features for us developers into the SDK is not just to make use of the iCloud service, but to guarantee control of files in the cloud. I have not had a chance as of yet to get ahold of or look at the new SDK, but I would be utterly shocked if there were no filetype restrictions.

pubwvj
Jun 6, 2011, 06:07 PM
"Apple has been working for 10 years to get rid of the file-storage system. It started with iOS, and has made its way to the Mac. iCloud entirely removes the concept of file-storage."

This is so bad. Apps are not what is important. My DATA is what matters. I really don't like the App centric model of the iOS devices. It's fine for games and simple applications but my work is data, not applications. Steve has it all backwards.

pubwvj
Jun 6, 2011, 06:08 PM
Having the data in the cloud means the government can get it. They don't have to get a court order.

Fast Shadow
Jun 6, 2011, 06:11 PM

The photo sync offering is definitely not geared towards pros or semi-pros. I also shoot anywhere from 1,000 - 4,000 photos per week. Once I delete the rejects I'm usually left with somewhere between 500 to 1,000 keepers, each week. I use Lightroom to sort and organize my RAW files and an agent based cloud service (Carbonite) to back them up, along with my Lightroom catalogs. That's all I need, really. I manually sync my Lightroom catalog between my Mac Pro and my Macbook Pro. If I were to ever lose a hard drive I would be able to recover my original RAW files and all of my changes/edits (as stored in the LR catalog) via Carbonite.

ThisIsNotMe
Jun 6, 2011, 06:12 PM
"Apple has been working for 10 years to get rid of the file-storage system. It started with iOS, and has made its way to the Mac. iCloud entirely removes the concept of file-storage."

This is so bad. Apps are not what is important. My DATA is what matters. I really don't like the App centric model of the iOS devices. It's fine for games and simple applications but my work is data, not applications. Steve has it all backwards.

The the hell are you talking about?
Everyone is moving away from the file system for YEARS.

Do you really think that these services (like drop box) actually have "physical" files and folders structure on their servers?

Companies are moving to the "cloud" in one form or another.
Check out Alfresco as a perfect example.
Most medium to large companies are moving to storage via applications.

miografico
Jun 6, 2011, 06:13 PM
I can't find any info on galleries. I publish thousands of pictures over the year for individual clients as proofing galleries. At any one time I have probably got anything up to 10,000 photographs online with Aperture and MobileMe.

Make sure you have hard backups. (hard as in on your machine(s)) Cupertino is great for releasing new products, but even better at killing old ones that still have a decent customer-base and with no ample warning on what will happen when they reach end of life.

Anyone here who relies on galleries from Apple for business purposes needs a reality check, and I am an Apple developer, move to a site whose sole purpose is photo sharing: flickr, Picasa or if you are a photographer by trade SmugMug or DeviantArt.

When money/business is involved you choose a service that specifies in your area - not a jack of all trades like iCloud.

jdbr
Jun 6, 2011, 06:24 PM

Apple cheated its most loyal customers today: mobile me customers; in particular those with a mac.com e-mail address. We have been promised a free extension to service, that we continue to pay for until our subscription runs out. A service that is basically free to every one else. What a reward for sticking with .mac and then MobileMe through all the crap service and broken promises through the years of exciting new features and extra freebies that never ever materialised. Apple should be ashamed, they are just a bunch of shameless
money grabbers!

miografico
Jun 6, 2011, 06:26 PM

Do you really think that these services (like drop box) actually have "physical" files and folders structure on their servers?

You are the one who has absolutely no idea what the hell you are talking about.

Yes, these services like dropbox have physical files and folder structures on their servers. You obviously have a very, very basic understanding of how computers, operating systems and filesystems work in general.

Please don't yell at someone else when you come off as a complete DoDoBird yourself. What is happening is that users such as YOU will eventually be in a world where the filesystem is easier to to access such as through iCloud and storage initiated via Applications. However, no one reinvented the wheel your files will still be stored as files, in directories and on servers: makes no difference whether that filesystem is HSF, NTSF, EXT, ReiserFS, ext3 or whatever.

We are going back to the idea of the 90's except this time its coming true. Power users such as developers, designers, engineers etc. will have workstations (me) and regular users will have dumb terminals (grandma).
This is one of Larry Ellison's dreams coming true. (Get in touch with history)

You can even go back to the 80's and 70's and see the same concept played out in terms of terminals accessing mainframes over LAN and WAN. We are coming full circle.

irish15eagle
Jun 6, 2011, 06:28 PM
anyone noticed that mirroring iPad screen wirelessly to TV, basically kills google tv...that is absolutely SICK!! no need for other boxes, just need an appletv, iPad...you can run everything Hulu Plus, Netflix, EyeTV, Plex...can't wait for this!!

Finally someone said something about AppleTV.
When rumors first started about iCloud, I was very excited. I had just been given an AppleTV as a gift, and my first iPhone will follow soon.
Moving forward, the rumored iCloud seemed to be the perfect idea: I could get a small hd on the iphone and just use cloud technology to stream my media, the same way i do on my AppleTV. Not only this, but I would no longer have to leave my laptop on, open, and in iTunes to use my library on my AppTV.
Perfect, right? Wrong. I'm hoping I don't understand apple because, to me, they seem to have taken a step back. Instead of moving to the cloud where I could more easily integrate my media while reducing the memory space that it takes up, Apple is now pushing technology that pushes EXTRA downloads of files on local memory in the name of faster, automatic syncing.
I hope I'm wrong, but this just seems like a huge disappointment.

mrmattmarks
Jun 6, 2011, 06:28 PM
[removed by user]

Eric S.
Jun 6, 2011, 06:31 PM
With the iCloud API, I'm sure virtually every Mac application of any note will eventually be updated to hook into it.

If I read correctly, there are dev APIs for iCloud that can be incorporated into any app. So, if MS chooses they can have Office docs sync automatically to the cloud just like Pages, etc.

Sorry if this has been asked and answered already, but what about just plain old files? Like if I open a terminal window and create a text file using vi? Can I store that on iCloud like I do on iDisk? Or data files I want to share between my Mac and a PC? Or documents created by existing apps that don't have an iCloud hook?

Of course there's an underlying file system. Jobs just wants to remove the details from users, like in many other areas, but some of us would rather not go that direction.

jmull
Jun 6, 2011, 06:33 PM
Can I use this to listen to my big 16-bit AIFF (CD Audio) files anywhere? If not it's useless for me since I don't listen to lossy music (read: itunes downloads), certainly wouldn't pay for sub-par quality music, and I suggest you do the same. Your ears will thank you.

ZipZapRap
Jun 6, 2011, 06:37 PM
So does this mean Google can sue Apple for copying notifications? :)

Or is only Apple allowed to do that to Samsung?

mofunk
Jun 6, 2011, 06:37 PM

-iDisk
-MobileMe refunds
-E-mail addresses

Yes !!! please

So basically we are loosing 20GB of storage. iCloud won't work for my other 2 Macs. :mad: And besides what happens when you don't wi-fi available?

A lot of musicians and photographers use iDisk. I love it cause of the security and space you have moving your stuff to clients. Heavy users who moved over to Macs, who used .Mac and MobileMe have to find a "Apple" alternative that has to work with all their Apple stuff..

this is so not good. :(

Eric S.
Jun 6, 2011, 06:45 PM
iCloud won't work for my other 2 Macs. :mad:

Hey that's a good question too: did they say there's a minimum required OS version for iCloud? Because I have no intention of updating my two Macbooks from 10.5.8.

andiwm2003
Jun 6, 2011, 06:51 PM
Not to be an a$$, but I've got no sympathy for anyone who bought or updated their Mobileme in the last 2 months. iCloud has been discussed on CNN, Fox Cnet, Fortune, NYtimes and obviously on the Mac sites. For you to update or buy it in that time, don't be pissed at apple. It's neat to have a @mac.com or @mobileme, but what'd you expect? Also, SJ didn't comment about Mobile Me at all today except to make a joke at his own expense about trusting the guys who did Mobile Me being able to pull iCloud off. My guess, you keep your email and apparently most of the other stuff you were paying for is now free.

Coachingguy

Well, people didn't have a choice. They had to renew or they lose their email address for good and they also couldn't let their websites go down.

It's not a big deal anyway because MobileMe was about 60 bucks through amazon and paying it for a few month without need is then only 20-30bucks.

I wonder more about storage. I have now 15 GB on iDisk and will get only 5GB in the future? Others mentioned family accounts. To me this transition starts already as as borked up as the .Mac to .me transition.

thefourthpope
Jun 6, 2011, 07:11 PM
No MobileMe will stay intact until June 2012. Everything will work, mail idisk etc. There was nothing announced today that said MobileMe will cease its services with the launch of iCloud. Yes, the service will expire in June 2012, but that is a long way away. Whether you want to port your information to iCloud when it comes out is your decision. I personally will use the full features of MobileMe for the next year as I have paid for that.

Sure, but that doesn't say anything about iDisk. I'm happy agreeing with you that MobileMe will continue, and though iDisk presumably will as well, there's nothing specific out yet.

thefourthpope
Jun 6, 2011, 07:13 PM
Well, people didn't have a choice. They had to renew or they lose their email address for good and they also couldn't let their websites go down.

It's not a big deal anyway because MobileMe was about 60 bucks through amazon and paying it for a few month without need is then only 20-30bucks.

I wonder more about storage. I have now 15 GB on iDisk and will get only 5GB in the future? Others mentioned family accounts. To me this transition starts already as as borked up as the .Mac to .me transition.

My main wonder as well.

And you're spot on about the effective requirement to renew if you want to maintain consistency.

thefourthpope
Jun 6, 2011, 07:21 PM

I guess I get your point, but--without knowing much about this stuff--I still prefer having a file on my desktop, even if it is linked with Dropbox. That's the main thing I do like about iDisk: my file is still on my HD, and not dependent on Internet access. iDisk/Dropbox might not have that type of visual file system on their end, but I want it on my end.

trixiesirisheye
Jun 6, 2011, 07:29 PM
I am not at all pleased with the little I've heard about Lion and iCloud today. Jobs wants to do away with the file system. This is a work computer. File systems are the equivalent of a filing cabinet. If I need to burn a disk of graphics files for a client, it's all in the clients' file, I burn the disk, I'm good. I don't want to have to look all over my computer for every last one of a client's files. I'm not working on an iPad or iPhone, I'm on a Mac Pro, fer dang sake!! This is no fluffy iPad, this is the big Bertha of working computers.

I have seen the cloud servers go down or get hacked way too many times (especially where Apple is concerned) to trust my info to be kept there! I use DropBox, I use Evernote, but I don't keep anything important on them, and I make sure that my FILES are being backed up to my two external hard drives and my offsite backup, BackBlaze. If one of them gets hosed, I'm still okay. If the cloud server goes down, that's okay. I can still get work done because I'm not counting on a server. Look at what happened recently to Amazon's EC2 servers, to Sony's servers, and heck, the DOD's servers!!! Even Intuit's servers went down recently. Too bad for the people doing their bookkeeping on Intuit's servers.

Did Jobs mention anything about the redundancy of the servers? Um, Cupertino is in earthquake county. BIG earthquake country. No, I much prefer keeping the info resident on my device, backed up to my backup devices, and not trust ANYTHING to the cloud, especially with Apple's penchant for ignoring problems and giving out as little info as possible. It's like saying, "There's been a little accident (no, it was a really big accident), only a few people were hurt (no, thousands of people were hurt), and it shouldn't impact you at all (except all my iCal, address book, and email data is now in the ether). You don't need to know anything more than that." Because that's what Apple would do.

I don't bundle my TV, cable, and phone for the very same reasons. I use different providers. If my TV goes out, I can probably still go online or make a call. If my internet goes down, I can still watch TV or make a call. And so on.

When my MobileMe subscription expires, buh-bye Apple servers for syncing my MBP, MP, and iPhone. Heck, I might as well replace my iPhone with an Android.

Will I be able to back up to Big Bertha and my other backups??

After 28 years of using Apple products, I'm about to defect.

caspersoong
Jun 6, 2011, 07:29 PM
I just love the integration with iWork documents. The importing was really a pain.

freiheit
Jun 6, 2011, 07:34 PM

Doing away file-storage system from the Mac scares me. I'm not entirely comfortable with the idea of leaving personal information and incomplete data to iCloud from my future Mac system. I wanted to directly access to them from my Mac's HDD (and syncing with iPad or iPhone if I need it) instead of some wireless data-in-the-sky system. Potentially, any hacker can get into iCloud and steal your data.

Not just that, but even the fastest internet connection is horrendously slow compared to a SATA connected hard drive. I've used a so-called gigabit NAS device. At best I could push around 25MB/s on it. My internet connection is far slower as 10Mbps (around 1.2MB/s) downstream and a whopping 1Mbps (128KB/s) upstream. There's no way I want to do even a fraction of my work at those speeds when my SATA drive cruises along at over 60MB/s both reading and writing.

strausd
Jun 6, 2011, 07:36 PM
iCloud is not MobileMe, and MobileMe is not iCloud. You get what you paid for, "at the time of purchase." That is - Mail, Calendar, Gallery, iDisk, and Find My iPhone. iCloud does not include those services AT THIS TIME. And when released, it will only be an alternative to MobileMe until MobileMe expires. MobileMe users are not required to switch to iCloud!! Therefor, I am not paying for a service that is otherwise free.

If you want to get all technical about it, you're right, they aren't the same thing. Someone could make the argument that they are not the same because they are spelled differently too. But lets be real, iCloud the update to MobileMe.

MobileMe will not be free. MobileMe gives you 20GB of storage to use in whatever way you want, whether it be 10GB for Mail and 10GB for iDisk, or 3GB for Mail and 17GB for iDisk. With what we know about iCloud right now, that is not an option, thus you are paying for something that has more benefits (in terms of cloud storage at the moment). The 5GB just refers to mail, contacts, and calendars, nothing about normal file storage like iDisk.

Considering they did not mention iDisk at all, I believe there is a good chance they will get rid of the service. Sure, I could be wrong, and I am just making a guess, so who knows. But for those of you who use iDisk all the time, you may want to start looking into some alternatives. And if you are looking at Dropbox, you should take a look at this article to get more space for free (http://lifehacker.com/5796318/the-cheapskates-guide-to-getting-free-dropbox-space).

As of right now, we just have to wait and see what happens.

trixiesirisheye
Jun 6, 2011, 07:40 PM
I just love the integration with iWork documents. The importing was really a pain.

Can't stand iWork. I drank the Apple Kool-Aid a long time ago, but Excel is a FAR better spreadsheet program than Numbers. I don't need pretty, I need uberfunctional.

JohnMacnMiami
Jun 6, 2011, 07:43 PM
So, I have been a faithful Apple fan, MobileMe from the start, new OS every time.
Now, I have just been told my MobileMe is gone next June?
So, the thousands of people, subscriptions, companies etc that have my email @mac.com or @me.com will need to be notified.
Even when ATT bought BellSouth, the BellSouth people got to keep their emails.
Well, at least I have a year!
They screwed me last time when my G5 cannot run Snow LEopard, so cannot get Calendar Synch.
Now, my iPhone 3G cannot get anything, because it does not qualify?
So, I need to buy a new phone and new computer every year to use Apple?
Nope, don't think so.
Too bad Apple, you finally pushed me too far.
I will take my 5 MAC systems in this house, and the ones I was buying for the company, and just use Gmail, Picasa, the old iTunes and move on down the road.
Sad when they offer more to a Win7 machine to one of the Faithful!

SandynJosh
Jun 6, 2011, 07:46 PM
Sorry, but a great big YAWN from me. Apple had a head start on the mobile device market, but is now only neck and neck with the competition.

You're yawning now, so you must have slept through the presentation.

Apple presented one thing, which was composed of three parts. So if you look at any one part you have to hold the other two in mind so you can see the synergism. Lion and iOS5 and the iCloud blasts the Apple user experience way past the competitor's mobile devices.

What Apple has done is improve the Mac and iDevices OS so they sync together totally seamlessly, thus improving the ecosystem multifold over anything any other mobile device OS can do. Now, with Apple you can have desktop and laptop computers of Mac or Microsoft OS, along with any Apple iDevice sync together automatically and effortlessly, instantly and for FREE.

The only kicker is that you must be using Apple branded iPhone, or iPad, or iPod Touch running iOS5. Now when some one is thinking about whether to buy a non-Apple phone or tablet, they are weighing whether to be INSIDE the social network invented by Apple or OUTSIDE the social network.

This social network includes messaging and game play for starters but will go bonkers with networking opportunities once the developers add the new Lion and iOS5 APIs to their existing or new apps.

In addition, people who buy a non-Apple mobile device will be left back in the old PC paradigm that leaves files, songs, data, whatever, on each device to be synced or backed up catch-as-catch-can.

Perhaps any one of the three parts of what was presented today could be a yawner in itself, it is the synergy of all three parts that makes today's message a wake-up call to the competition that their salad days are numbered.

Lion + iOS5 + iCloud = Doom and gloom for Apple's competitors.

mr. who?
Jun 6, 2011, 07:46 PM
So question...

What happens to data usage on your cellular network from pushing all of this data to and from icloud? Seems the carriers will benefit from this tremendously. at&t was rumored to reinstate unlimited data plans (unless they have already), but I can't see them doing that now. And verizon still offers unlimited data? I can see that ending.

coachingguy
Jun 6, 2011, 07:47 PM
I am not at all pleased with the little I've heard about Lion and iCloud today. Jobs wants to do away with the file system. This is a work computer. File systems are the equivalent of a filing cabinet. If I need to burn a disk of graphics files for a client, it's all in the clients' file, I burn the disk, I'm good. I don't want to have to look all over my computer for every last one of a client's files. I'm not working on an iPad or iPhone, I'm on a Mac Pro, fer dang sake!! This is no fluffy iPad, this is the big Bertha of working computers.

I have seen the cloud servers go down or get hacked way too many times (especially where Apple is concerned) to trust my info to be kept there! I use DropBox, I use Evernote, but I don't keep anything important on them, and I make sure that my FILES are being backed up to my two external hard drives and my offsite backup, BackBlaze. If one of them gets hosed, I'm still okay. If the cloud server goes down, that's okay. I can still get work done because I'm not counting on a server. Look at what happened recently to Amazon's EC2 servers, to Sony's servers, and heck, the DOD's servers!!! Even Intuit's servers went down recently. Too bad for the people doing their bookkeeping on Intuit's servers.

Did Jobs mention anything about the redundancy of the servers? Um, Cupertino is in earthquake county. BIG earthquake country. No, I much prefer keeping the info resident on my device, backed up to my backup devices, and not trust ANYTHING to the cloud, especially with Apple's penchant for ignoring problems and giving out as little info as possible. It's like saying, "There's been a little accident (no, it was a really big accident), only a few people were hurt (no, thousands of people were hurt), and it shouldn't impact you at all (except all my iCal, address book, and email data is now in the ether). You don't need to know anything more than that." Because that's what Apple would do.

I don't bundle my TV, cable, and phone for the very same reasons. I use different providers. If my TV goes out, I can probably still go online or make a call. If my internet goes down, I can still watch TV or make a call. And so on.

When my MobileMe subscription expires, buh-bye Apple servers for syncing my MBP, MP, and iPhone. Heck, I might as well replace my iPhone with an Android.

Really? Paranoid much? I bet you've got money in like 5 different banks across multiple states if not continents... See Ya!

Abstract
Jun 6, 2011, 07:50 PM
YOU have to sync them.

With regards to auto-syncing documents, there's Drop Box, which automatically syncs between all my devices. Plus, it's also free, and has been so since it existed. ;) You can get Drop Box for your Mac, iPad, iPhone, or Android device.

Can someone explain to me how this is different from DropBox? The only difference is that music that syncs to my iPhone will be usable in the iTunes software. Not particularly useful to me, since I'm never away from my laptop for long enough that I'm actually bored of 22 GB of music.

Feel free to disagree with me if you want, but I don't see how iCloud is going to change anything. From my vague understanding of it, I don't even feel compelled to start using it.

I don't care about syncing my music, since I have around 50 GB of it on my laptop, and even more photos than that. And does anybody actually look at their photos all the time on their iPhone and iPad? How about people who look at their latest 1000 photos? I'd probably shut that feature off, since my latest 1000 photos probably isn't my best.

gimmesomemo
Jun 6, 2011, 07:53 PM
I find it hilarious, and at the same time, completely predictable that pre wwdc everyone was jumping on the "if it's only purchased music then its a waste of time" bandwagon, and now that they released a completely reasonable, and basically unbeatable solution for having you entire -non itunes purchased- music library on icloud, while at the same time giving us a completely free service for having all our devices effortlessly in-sync via icloud, that everyone still is finding a million different things to bitch aboutÖ

thirteen1031
Jun 6, 2011, 08:00 PM
To answer a few repeating questions:

(1) How do you turn it off? Easy. Don't turn it "On." The Cloud is voluntary folks. You opt to use it. It doesn't automatically start to sync all your stuff whether you want it to or not. It's not going to steal your photos and stream them to your computer and iPad without your permission. You have to say you want it on each and every option. You want it for the calendar, for the music, for the photos, etc.

So if you have nude photos of you fooling around with some other girl, and you don't want them going automatically to your wife's phone, make sure you don't turn the photo stream on (or that you've turned it off if it was on) and whoa-howdy-hey, no embarrassing photos end up in the photo area of your wife's phone.

(2) Encrypted? Yes, indeed. Everything that goes up and comes down from the Cloud will be encrypted. If you still don't trust it, then, again, don't use it.

(3) 5GB do you have to pay? Nope. That comes free along with the rest of the service. That 5GB doesn't include any storage you use for photos, music, calendars or documents.

(4) All sorts of documents?--from what the Keynote said, anything in iWork at least. I don't know about anything else.

All this service does is automatically send whatever you want sent (photos, music, documents) to all your devices. What you create on one will be sent to all...if you want it on all. Which means...

(5) Up to 10 Devices: you buy a song and you can put it on ten devices, no extra charge.

Different from other such services? *shrug* As the Cloud won't be up and running (outside of the music part) till Fall, there is no one here who can say that it will be better, faster, nicer or any service that is similar. You'll have to wait and see if it's different enough from what you've got to switch. But there ARE two things sure to be different: (A) It will be one thing--one place--that will do all these different things (photos, mail, calendar, document and music sync) rather than a dozen different services. That might be worth it in itself, rather than keeping up seven different accounts with seven different services.

(B) No ads. :cool:

ThisIsNotMe
Jun 6, 2011, 08:04 PM
You are the one who has absolutely no idea what the hell you are talking about.

Yes, these services like dropbox have physical files and folder structures on their servers. You obviously have a very, very basic understanding of how computers, operating systems and filesystems work in general.

Please don't yell at someone else when you come off as a complete DoDoBird yourself. What is happening is that users such as YOU will eventually be in a world where the filesystem is easier to to access such as through iCloud and storage initiated via Applications. However, no one reinvented the wheel your files will still be stored as files, in directories and on servers: makes no difference whether that filesystem is HSF, NTSF, EXT, ReiserFS, ext3 or whatever.

We are going back to the idea of the 90's except this time its coming true. Power users such as developers, designers, engineers etc. will have workstations (me) and regular users will have dumb terminals (grandma).
This is one of Larry Ellison's dreams coming true. (Get in touch with history)

You can even go back to the 80's and 70's and see the same concept played out in terms of terminals accessing mainframes over LAN and WAN. We are coming full circle.

Of course these is an underlying file system just like there is with iOS.

The laughable part of your post is that the professionals you mention use the "appification" of the file system already.

Programmers? Nope. They deal with SVN.
Engineers? Nope. They deal with programs like Buzzsaw.

Herdfan
Jun 6, 2011, 08:25 PM
If you have a family and one main Apple id, Mobile me id et al. who says I want them automatically having access to what photos I take? If there is no option to make it a manual process and not just an off and on switch that's a MAJOR blunder.

If they do not allow for multiple iCloud accounts under one Apple id the service is worthless for multiple iDevice households.

Nor do I want the 100's of pictures of the cat my daughter takes show up on MY phone or iPad. I would like to see 2 things:

1) On/Off switch for each function, like we have now. Under my current MobileMe account I have bookmarks and notes turned off. If this continues but adds music and docs, fine. Just let me shut them off individually.

2) A manual option because while I might want some of my wife's music, I don't want it all. Need to be able to delete songs from an iDevice. Otherwise, I will turn music off.

SandynJosh
Jun 6, 2011, 08:28 PM

(1) How do you turn it off? Easy. Don't turn it "On." The Cloud is voluntary folks. You opt to use it. It doesn't automatically start to sync all your stuff whether you want it to or not. It's not going to steal your photos and stream them to your computer and iPad without your permission. You have to say you want it on each and every option. You want it for the calendar, for the music, for the photos, etc.

Just to clarify: the new iOS and Lion will ship with the iCloud share feature turned on. It is easy to shut it off.

So if you have nude photos of you fooling around with some other girl, and you don't want them going automatically to your wife's phone, make sure you don't turn the photo stream on (or that you've turned it off if it was on) and whoa-howdy-hey, no embarrassing photos end up in the photo area of your wife's phone.

Actually the iCloud syncing of photos will only share the photos it finds in the iPhoto library. If you have photos in client files or other locations they will not be shared.

(2) Encrypted? Yes, indeed. Everything that goes up and comes down from the Cloud will be encrypted. If you still don't trust it, then, again, don't use it.

(3) 5GB do you have to pay? Nope. That comes free along with the rest of the service. That 5GB doesn't include any storage you use for photos, music, calendars or documents.

the 5GB also does not include software storage purchased from the Mac or iOS app stores as well as iBooks.

(4) All sorts of documents?--from what the Keynote said, anything in iWork at least. I don't know about anything else.

It will include any document for which the document creator adds the function. Since the developers got their toolkits today, that may take a while for some. Microsoft, for example, can elect to make their documents work with this or not and make that possible on their own schedule.

All this service does is automatically send whatever you want sent (photos, music, documents) to all your devices. What you create on one will be sent to all...if you want it on all. Which means...

(5) Up to 10 Devices: you buy a song and you can put it on ten devices, no extra charge.

the same will apply to software, books, and movies bought through the Mac or iOS stores.

Different from other such services? *shrug* As the Cloud won't be up and running (outside of the music part) till Fall, there is no one here who can say that it will be better, faster, nicer or any service that is similar. You'll have to wait and see if it's different enough from what you've got to switch. But there ARE two things sure to be different: (A) It will be one thing--one place--that will do all these different things (photos, mail, calendar, document and music sync) rather than a dozen different services. That might be worth it in itself, rather than keeping up seven different accounts with seven different services.

(B) No ads.

It will be a boon to the average non-technical user who doesn't want to know "how" his idevices and computers all are instantly synced. He/she doesn't need to download applications and set them up and consciously add files to be be shared... it just works!

Also, one more thing... the iCloud is not meant to replace the time machine. As Jobs said, "it is not a hard disk in the sky."

Abstract
Jun 6, 2011, 08:43 PM

From what I can tell, with iCloud and Lion, only apps with iCloud functionality written into the software itself can sync with iCloud. It's not like Drop Box, where EVERYTHING contained within selected folders will sync between devices, even if that folder contains documents, photos, music, etc. It doesn't require that the files be of a certain type, and it doesn't require iCloud compatibility to be written into any software that wishes to use it.

Sure, software designers now have the ability to integrate with iCloud, but I really wish it would just sync a folder.

But like I said several posts ago, I don't understand enough about it. I don't see why this is better than Drop Box for my uses. :confused:

boing
Jun 6, 2011, 08:43 PM
I have been reading through this thread (which is mostly people going nuts about a service that is not going away until June 2012), and one thing I have not seen anyone talking about is if iCloud has a Web Interface or not. By what I am reading Apple is doing away with the Web Interface of MobileMe, and instead providing application sync. Does anyone know about this?? Does iCloud have a web interface for Mail, Calendar, Contacts, and files?? Seems like Apple only wants their sync to be compatible with their software stack. If their is no web interface, then will iCloud support IMAP/POP, CalDav, and CardDAV to allow sync using open standards?? That is some of the questions I have not seen answered yet when comparing to MobileMe, and the ones I am more interested in seeing be answered.

ryanpfw
Jun 6, 2011, 08:46 PM
Just to clarify: the new iOS and Lion will ship with the iCloud share feature turned on. It is easy to shut it off.

So if I have a Mac Mini with 20 gigs of music and 500 gigs of video (in iTunes but stored on an external) and a 32 gig iphone.

I currently have it set up so that playlists containing 5 gigs of music and 5 gigs worth of video sync to my iphone.

When iOS 5 comes out, I'll be able to wirelessly sync instead of using the USB exclusively with the newest iTunes on the Mini and iOS 5 on the iphone.

If I enable iCloud on the Mini, do I choose which music/videos gets sent to the cloud? If I buy a new song on the Mini, will it be synced to the iphone only if it's in one of those selected playlists?

I understand the concept of the iCloud but I'm curious how it will handle situations like this where there is more content than room in the cloud or on the secondary device.

JimMacFan
Jun 6, 2011, 08:52 PM
Will any song I ever purchased via iTunes automatically be available via iCloud? I've lost some songs over the years on different computers.

Eric S.
Jun 6, 2011, 08:58 PM

I don't believe that will be true for very long. Sure, it will start out that way because it's a pretty big transition in the way a lot of users do things, but Apple is well known now for getting you hooked on their ecosystem slowly and changing the rules for their benefit. For example, I can easily see that the iTunes interface will be pared down and its sync function wholly transferred to iCloud, because 1) why have the sync function in two different places, and 2) Apple will want to encourage (coerce) as many users as possible into signing up for iCloud. So I expect that before long if you want to continue using the latest iTunes version you will be required to sync through iCloud. Once you're at that point they've got you.

The only kicker is that you must be using Apple branded iPhone, or iPad, or iPod Touch running iOS5. Now when some one is thinking about whether to buy a non-Apple phone or tablet, they are weighing whether to be INSIDE the social network invented by Apple or OUTSIDE the social network.

ExACTly. And I have to say that after a quarter century of investment in Apple computer products, if iCloud becomes tightly integrated with the OS I'll put down the kool aid and jump off this bus.

Zaqfalcon
Jun 6, 2011, 08:58 PM
Microsoft Office Documents?

Aperture photos?

Photos imported to an iPad from a camera?

dawnrazor
Jun 6, 2011, 09:04 PM
Does this mean that the service formally known as mobile me and before that as .mac and that now is iCloud no longer has a yearly subscription... because my Wife's and my yearly subscription for mobile me just renewed last week, but presumably if it was to renew next week it would be free???????

iRobby
Jun 6, 2011, 09:07 PM
If you want to get all technical about it, you're right, they aren't the same thing. Someone could make the argument that they are not the same because they are spelled differently too. But lets be real, iCloud the update to MobileMe.

MobileMe will not be free. MobileMe gives you 20GB of storage to use in whatever way you want, whether it be 10GB for Mail and 10GB for iDisk, or 3GB for Mail and 17GB for iDisk. With what we know about iCloud right now, that is not an option, thus you are paying for something that has more benefits (in terms of cloud storage at the moment). The 5GB just refers to mail, contacts, and calendars, nothing about normal file storage like iDisk.

Considering they did not mention iDisk at all, I believe there is a good chance they will get rid of the service. Sure, I could be wrong, and I am just making a guess, so who knows. But for those of you who use iDisk all the time, you may want to start looking into some alternatives. And if you are looking at Dropbox, you should take a look at this article to get more space for free (http://lifehacker.com/5796318/the-cheapskates-guide-to-getting-free-dropbox-space).

As of right now, we just have to wait and see what happens.

if you watch the keynote Steve said MobileMe will be non-existent and the features of Mobile Me the Calendar Mail and Contacts were introduced as the first part of iCloud.

"iCloud simply works. Now you may ask why should I believe them? They are the ones that brought MobileMe. It wasn't our finest hour. Let me just say that but we learned a lot. Now the 3 core applications were Calendar, Contacts and Mail. 3 things we obviously want to keep up to date we've thrown them away rebuilt them from the ground up... Mobile me with these apps cost 99.00 as of today they are free and MobileMe will cease to exist bringing these apps into iCloud" - Steve Jobs 2011 WWDC Keynote

marksman
Jun 6, 2011, 09:21 PM
Maybe I'm just too old. I still can't figure out why anybody thinks that "doing away with the file system" and sandboxing data is even remotely a good idea.

When I'm on the computer, I work on projects. A typical project has three or four word processing documents, two or three spreadsheets, some files of lab instrument output, dozens of images, and a thread of email messages. It all needs to be kept together, not spread around randomly in different sandboxes.

I just can't picture a workflow that could possibly accomplish anything in this brave new wurld.

I don't think "doing away with the file system" and "sandboxing" mean what you think they mean.

They certainly have no relevancy to your "workflow".

tuhoops
Jun 6, 2011, 09:28 PM
So, I have been a faithful Apple fan, MobileMe from the start, new OS every time.
So, the thousands of people, subscriptions, companies etc that have my email @mac.com or @me.com will need to be notified.
They screwed me last time when my G5 cannot run Snow LEopard, so cannot get Calendar Synch.
Nope, don't think so.
I will take my 5 MAC systems in this house, and the ones I was buying for the company, and just use Gmail, Picasa, the old iTunes and move on down the road.

MobileMe is going away, your @me.com address is not. It will be a part of the new iCloud.

BayouTiger
Jun 6, 2011, 09:30 PM
I don't see how this is going to live on a typical ADSL home. My dsl, while fairly quick at download at 6mb is brutally slow at <50k upload, and download dies when uploading. I have to sync all my Dropbox files at the office for it to be useful. It seems that many have overlooked the upload limitations of most home services.

dawnrazor
Jun 6, 2011, 09:52 PM
I don't think anything is happening to your email addresses, they will remain regardless if you are bob@mac.com or bob@me.com - they won't change even if they introduce a new bob@icloud.com say, the previous addrresses will still work, it will be entirely up to you whether you want to change to the @icloud.com part. Simple

Nope, don't think so.

Flake
Jun 6, 2011, 09:57 PM
I already have contacts and calendars synced via Google, how is this going to be affected

BIS2
Jun 6, 2011, 10:18 PM
Not sure what I think about icloud. I agree that dropbox seems like a better option (knowing what little we do now) since you can backup ANY document etc there. I guess it's nice to be able to sync things instantly but honestly, I have to plug my ipod in to charge it so it's not really that much of a pain to sync it then. Now once apple comes up with wireless charging, THAT will be something.

SandynJosh
Jun 6, 2011, 10:23 PM
I don't believe that will be true for very long. Sure, it will start out that way because it's a pretty big transition in the way a lot of users do things, but Apple is well known now for getting you hooked on their ecosystem slowly and changing the rules for their benefit. For example, I can easily see that the iTunes interface will be pared down and its sync function wholly transferred to iCloud, because 1) why have the sync function in two different places, and 2) Apple will want to encourage (coerce) as many users as possible into signing up for iCloud.

Actually one doesn't have to sign up for iCloud, or even know it is there. Your applications, updates, music, books, documents, calendars, alarms, notes, and photos will magically start syncing unless you turn the feature off.

So I expect that before long if you want to continue using the latest iTunes version you will be required to sync through iCloud. Once you're at that point they've got you.

No, you are never required to turn on sharing with iCloud. Let's say you get sick and tired of having your calendars synced. You merely turn off syncing on your calendars and you will be back to June 2011 where all your calendars have no idea what you have on the other device.

ExACTly. And I have to say that after a quarter century of investment in Apple computer products, if iCloud becomes tightly integrated with the OS I'll put down the kool aid and jump off this bus.

Well, welcome to the new and improved ecosystem around Apple products. However, you know, you don't have to use it. Go ahead and use Edura and Dropbox, and whatever you want. Enjoy yourself making fire with flints. It's all up to you. Snow Leopard has features I don't use. I'm not trying to be a Luddite, I just don't need them yet.

Microsoft Office Documents?

As soon as Microsoft decides to add the ability to Office applications. They just got the developer's kit today.

Aperture photos?

Same thing. Every application can be made iCloud aware.

Photos imported to an iPad from a camera?

Yes... movie and still. If the media is on one iDevice or a desktop or laptop, then it's available to all the other computers and iDevices registered to the same Apple account.

Does this mean that the service formally known as mobile me and before that as .mac and that now is iCloud no longer has a yearly subscription... because my Wife's and my yearly subscription for mobile me just renewed last week, but presumably if it was to renew next week it would be free???????

iCloud will be replacing MobileMe next June 2012. However the three core applications within MobileMe have been rewritten and are now free within iCloud. Those are Mail, Calendar, and Contacts. Devices running iOS5 or Lion will automatically have the data within these apps synced on all of your devices and computers.

In addition there will be 6 more major things iCloud will sync. You have several months before this all happens and I'm sure we will be learning a lot more details as time goes on. I really see no downside with these changes.

The ONLY thing you will need to pay for, going forward, will be the iTunes MATCH service, and that is optional. Read about it at Apple.com

Eric S.
Jun 6, 2011, 10:32 PM
No, you are never required to turn on sharing with iCloud.

Like I said, I believe that will change at some point if you want to continue running the latest apps.

SandynJosh
Jun 6, 2011, 10:32 PM
I already have contacts and calendars synced via Google, how is this going to be affected

Today's announcements will not affect what you have set up. However, if you want to use the new features, it will also sync the email, contacts, calendars, books, music, applications, documents and more between all your computers and iDevices automatically and instantly.

Not sure what I think about icloud. I agree that dropbox seems like a better option (knowing what little we do now) since you can backup ANY document etc there. I guess it's nice to be able to sync things instantly but honestly, I have to plug my ipod in to charge it so it's not really that much of a pain to sync it then. Now once apple comes up with wireless charging, THAT will be something.

Don't think of the new services and features have anything to do with doing a backup. Dropbox or Time Machine still have a purpose. As Jobs said, "This is not a hard disk in the sky." Sure, having all the same documents, photos, music, books, emails, contacts, and calendars up to date on all of your computers and devices is really a form of a backup, but its real value comes from having it synced automatically and instantly.

Khryz
Jun 6, 2011, 10:34 PM
I have a question with respect to game saves because I may have missed it from the keynote.

If I have for example Sentinel 3 for my iPhone and iPad .. and only have a game save on my iPhone .. when I open up my iPad will I be able to continue from the iPhone's game save and then back to the iPhone? Or will they still be separate again.

MattInOz
Jun 6, 2011, 10:38 PM

The email from Apple says....
When you sign up for iCloud, you'll be able to keep your mobileMe email address and move your mail, contacts and bookmarks to the new service.

I was of the impression that meant the full address including the @mac.com and @me.com
(oh it seems it won't be iCloud addresses will be @me.com)

Is there any official news of this not being the case?
Also what about other aliases of the same account will they stay working or do we get offered to convert those to separate accounts?

That would be ideal as I'm not convinced by the security of having private information so closely tied to such a public thing as my email address.

It's about as secure as using your birthday as your password.

Cougarcat
Jun 6, 2011, 10:43 PM
I have a question with respect to game saves because I may have missed it from the keynote.

If I have for example Sentinel 3 for my iPhone and iPad .. and only have a game save on my iPhone .. when I open up my iPad will I be able to continue from the iPhone's game save and then back to the iPhone? Or will they still be separate again.

They will sync. So when you move to your iPad you can start where you left off from your iPhone.

Zeos
Jun 6, 2011, 10:53 PM
With regards to auto-syncing documents, there's Drop Box, which automatically syncs between all my devices. Plus, it's also free, and has been so since it existed. ;) You can get Drop Box for your Mac, iPad, iPhone, or Android device.

Can someone explain to me how this is different from dropbox?

Not as secure as iDisk.

strausd
Jun 6, 2011, 11:12 PM
Not as secure as iDisk.

If you really need to hide all your stuff, make an encrypted disk image.

And like someone already said, nothing will happen to your @me.com email address

CyberBob859
Jun 6, 2011, 11:12 PM
I have been reading through this thread (which is mostly people going nuts about a service that is not going away until June 2012), and one thing I have not seen anyone talking about is if iCloud has a Web Interface or not. By what I am reading Apple is doing away with the Web Interface of MobileMe, and instead providing application sync. Does anyone know about this?? Does iCloud have a web interface for Mail, Calendar, Contacts, and files?? Seems like Apple only wants their sync to be compatible with their software stack. If their is no web interface, then will iCloud support IMAP/POP, CalDav, and CardDAV to allow sync using open standards?? That is some of the questions I have not seen answered yet when comparing to MobileMe, and the ones I am more interested in seeing be answered.

This is an excellent question.

I use the web interface almost daily. It was a convenient way to read/send personal mail from my office Windows PC, transfer photos, and move files. Seems like all this will go away, which is a shame.

On another note - will you need Lion to use iCloud? i have a Macbook which cannot be upgraded to Lion and will be stuck on Snow Leopard. When MobileMe gets shut down, can I still use this computer with iCloud and my iPhone, and get my calendar, photos, etc to sync?

castlema
Jun 6, 2011, 11:14 PM
So does all this integration with 10.7 and iOS 5 mean that those of use still using our perfectly serviceable PowerMac G5 and a 2nd gen iPod touch are going to be out of luck when June of 2012 rolls around?

turtlebud
Jun 6, 2011, 11:15 PM
As a result of my experience with Apple online products, I've started to migrate over to google for a lot of things. I had itools when it first came out, and then it went away and became .mac (and wasn't free anymore). Then I was using .mac groups, and that went away when they went to mobileme, so I went to google groups. And now idisk is going away in a year or so because of the migration to icloud. My feeling is that apple online products come and go so regularly that I can't rely on it in the long term. The photo and music syncing will be nice, but I'll have to see it in action. The remainder of the services (email, docs, calendar, contacts) I've already migrated to google.

For email, I still have my .mac/.me account, but I use gmail primarily because apple started charging for the .mac (and the .me account) and I wanted to a email account that would always be free and I've never have to pay for.

For calendar, I migrated to google calendar, but primarily because it was ubiquitous - I like shared calendars with my wife and she doesn't have a mobileme account but does have a google account, so it's easier for her in that sense.

For address book, I've kept the mac address book because I sync it with my ipod touch, but it's also sync'd with my google contacts since I like to have it there as well. Plus, I have an android phone with makes using google contacts that much easier.

joemarioz
Jun 6, 2011, 11:34 PM
HOW THE HECK WILL iMESSAGE WORK? What type of login do you need for the service? A separate email account ( like facetime )??? will it work seamlessly with the iCloud's ID( I hope! )??? Or will it have a BB-like Pin# ??(not!) and what about the iPhone, cause with facetime it uses its own cellphone #!!!

SandynJosh
Jun 7, 2011, 12:04 AM
I'm not yet convinced that I'll be able to do without my 50GB Dropbox account. With bad past experiences with iDisk, I'm not sure I'd entrust it all to Apple anyway.

You don't need to stop using Dropbox. iCloud is not so much a backup but a syncing service. Until all the applications you use to make documents are updated to be iCloud compatible, you won't be able to send them to the cloud anyway. iCloud is not intended to replace Time Machine or other forms of backup.

Good question. iCloud may not meant for your kind of professionals use. I expect it is for more non-commercial sharing. MobileMe is not going away for another year, so there will be ample time to find a solution. BTW, your @me addresses will remain for you to continue to use.

Don't be smoking dope and posting. Nothing will change on your computer except that you will have the ability to go back to earlier versions of your documents and work from there if you desire. Also, auto-saving your documents to the cloud and your HD will be automatic.

Again, nothing has changed with how your Mac or PC data files are stored or filed.

Having the data in the cloud means the government can get it. They don't have to get a court order.

I suppose. You will just need to start operating above board. The upside is that you will sleep better at night.

Apple cheated its most loyal customers today: mobile me customers; in particular those with a mac.com e-mail address. We have been promised a free extension to service, that we continue to pay for until our subscription runs out. A service that is basically free to every one else.

I can't quite figure out if you're peeing and moaning because other people will get a free @me email address, or if you don't understand you will get to keep your @me address free from now on. No more charges.

What a reward for sticking with .mac and then MobileMe through all the crap service and broken promises through the years of exciting new features and extra freebies that never ever materialised. Apple should be ashamed, they are just a bunch of shameless
money grabbers!

Let's see, they give you better core service with iCloud plus more services than ever before, and don't charge you a cent for it, and you call them "money grabbers"? What school of economics did you graduate from?

Finally someone said something about AppleTV.
When rumors first started about iCloud, I was very excited. I had just been given an AppleTV as a gift, and my first iPhone will follow soon.
Moving forward, the rumored iCloud seemed to be the perfect idea: I could get a small hd on the iphone and just use cloud technology to stream my media, the same way i do on my AppleTV. Not only this, but I would no longer have to leave my laptop on, open, and in iTunes to use my library on my AppTV.

So far you have it all correct!

Perfect, right? Wrong. I'm hoping I don't understand apple because, to me, they seem to have taken a step back. Instead of moving to the cloud where I could more easily integrate my media while reducing the memory space that it takes up, Apple is now pushing technology that pushes EXTRA downloads of files on local memory in the name of faster, automatic syncing.
I hope I'm wrong, but this just seems like a huge disappointment.

You're wrong. From what they announced today you will actually be able to stream your photos, and videos direct to your Apple TV from the cloud. Now, today they didn't give out all the details of how to manage your memory while syncing, but that's the nature of presenting with a broad brush and not overdoing it with the details. Go to Apple.com and read up on the details.

Sorry if this has been asked and answered already, but what about just plain old files? Like if I open a terminal window and create a text file using vi? Can I store that on iCloud like I do on iDisk? Or data files I want to share between my Mac and a PC? Or documents created by existing apps that don't have an iCloud hook?

Firstly, don't think of the iCloud as replacing iDisk in function or purpose. In some sense, iCloud is backing up your data by copying it to all the computers and iDevices registered to the same Apple account. There is still a need for a true backup device, such as TimeMachine. Also, in Lion, automatic backing up will go on, so if it is automatically backing up to the TimeMachine you are gaining an automatic iDisk service.

iDisk seems to be going away. If so, Apple has determined that it is not the best solution to the bulk of users. Apple seems to be focusing on having such tasks be automatic and instant.

Regarding the example you quoted: a file format that does not have the iCloud hook will need to have the creating application updated to provide that. Apple has provided that "hook" to all of their applications and may have done so with vi...it was certainly not specifically mentioned during the presentation. Developers got their SDK kits today, so by the time Lion and iOS5 are released, many programs will have been updated.

Of course there's an underlying file system. Jobs just wants to remove the details from users, like in many other areas, but some of us would rather not go that direction.

For the "some of us" there is always an alternative or "classic" view. Not to worry.

Hey that's a good question too: did they say there's a minimum required OS version for iCloud? Because I have no intention of updating my two Macbooks from 10.5.8.

Yes, iCloud will require Lion OS and iOS5 to function. Why do you not want to update? is $29 total for both your MacBooks too much? The new system will automatically install itself, so what's to not like?

I am not at all pleased with the little I've heard about Lion and iCloud today.

You've heard too little.

Jobs wants to do away with the file system. This is a work computer. File systems are the equivalent of a filing cabinet. If I need to burn a disk of graphics files for a client, it's all in the clients' file, I burn the disk, I'm good. I don't want to have to look all over my computer for every last one of a client's files. I'm not working on an iPad or iPhone, I'm on a Mac Pro, fer dang sake!! This is no fluffy iPad, this is the big Bertha of working computers.

So, nothing will change how you work... Except you may enjoy having the OS save your work automatically and create "versions" of your work in case you'd like to go back to an earlier version. The other advantage to LION is that when you open a document it will present it to you EXACTLY as you last left it with all the pallets and associated files laying exactly where you left them.

Apple's iCloud is not designed to be your backup HD. It is designed to sync all your work on computer "A" to computers "B" and "C" and the iDevices as well. So, if you are working on computer "A" and a cloud of black smoke starts pouring out the back, you can move to computer "B" and carry on without losing a moment's work or having to do an involved restore. Continue using whatever backup methods you currently use, however having synced files on all computers will mean you may never have to go to the backup server.

First off the servers are in North Carolina. Secondly, they are not intended to be your HD in the sky. So, if your iCal in the cloud get's toasted you will have an exact completely up-to-date version on all your computers and iDevices. Once the server farm comes back on line your computers will start syncing all their iCals to match the latest one.

Where the iCloud will also help you is that it remembers all the applications, music and books you purchased and supplies free copies to every computer and iDevice (up to 10 at a time). It will also handle software updates.

Where the new software announced today will help you is to have your important data at your fingertips regardless which computer, iPhone or iPad you are using. Your latest calendars, contacts, email, current documents, photos and much more will be with you regardless of which iDevice you have with you.

You don't need to defect, just don't use the new features.

Nothing has changed to stop you from backing up as you always have.

Just as it's getting good. You may want to schedule a senility test, you may have been on the job too long. :rolleyes:

Yeah, right now Apple's programs are the only ones with the ability to sync their documents in the iCloud. Microsoft's developers as well as 5000 others got their SDKs for iOS5, iCloud, and Lion today, so if nothing doesn't happen soon to enable Word, Excel, and PowerPoint to be iCloud compatible, then it's not because Apple isn't making it possible.

SandynJosh
Jun 7, 2011, 12:12 AM
As a result of my experience with Apple online products, I've started to migrate over to google for a lot of things. I had itools when it first came out, and then it went away and became .mac (and wasn't free anymore). Then I was using .mac groups, and that went away when they went to mobileme, so I went to google groups. And now idisk is going away in a year or so because of the migration to icloud. My feeling is that apple online products come and go so regularly that I can't rely on it in the long term. The photo and music syncing will be nice, but I'll have to see it in action. The remainder of the services (email, docs, calendar, contacts) I've already migrated to google.

For email, I still have my .mac/.me account, but I use gmail primarily because apple started charging for the .mac (and the .me account) and I wanted to a email account that would always be free and I've never have to pay for.

For calendar, I migrated to google calendar, but primarily because it was ubiquitous - I like shared calendars with my wife and she doesn't have a mobileme account but does have a google account, so it's easier for her in that sense.

For address book, I've kept the mac address book because I sync it with my ipod touch, but it's also sync'd with my google contacts since I like to have it there as well. Plus, I have an android phone with makes using google contacts that much easier.

You've made some good choices. Apple's past history with the iTools/Mac/MobileMe is one of their worst implementations ever, so I don't blame you for shopping other places, and Google is doing a good job where Apple was stumbling.

Apple needs to earn a lot of people respect back in this area, and I think this time it is well thought out and the infrastructure put into place before announcing.

While you may stay with your current setup, keep your eye on what Apple is doing with their new software in Lion, iOS5 and iCloud because it may be the tightest and most automatic implementation on the planet.

Eric S.
Jun 7, 2011, 12:27 AM
Firstly, don't think of the iCloud as replacing iDisk in function or purpose. In some sense, iCloud is backing up your data by copying it to all the computers and iDevices registered to the same Apple account. There is still a need for a true backup device, such as TimeMachine. Also, in Lion, automatic backing up will go on, so if it is automatically backing up to the TimeMachine you are gaining an automatic iDisk service.

I don't use iDisk as a backup; I do lots of other backups. I use iDisk as a network attached drive to provide access to my files from different machines in different locations.

iDisk seems to be going away. If so, Apple has determined that it is not the best solution to the bulk of users. Apple seems to be focusing on having such tasks be automatic and instant.

Then I need to look for another cloud-based disk solution. At least I apparently have a year to do so.

Yes, iCloud will require Lion OS and iOS5 to function. Why do you not want to update? is $29 total for both your MacBooks too much? The new system will automatically install itself, so what's to not like?

Of course $29 has nothing to do with it. I won't update because 1) there are always problems when an existing system is upgraded, things break; and 2) my systems do everything I need them to do, so why should I go to that trouble.

In any case I see nothing about iCloud that interests me so it doesn't matter.

maclaptop
Jun 7, 2011, 12:31 AM

I already have Gmail.

I already have Flickr.

It's Magical & Revolutionary like every other development that Apple lays claim to.

Nothing to see here.

tigress666
Jun 7, 2011, 12:40 AM
your now paying for a free service unless they throw in iTunes Match in free for every MobileMe user but thats still only $25 compared to the $99 the service cost

Well, actually, icloud won't be free. It looks like it is available to OSX Lion users ;). So you have to pay for the Lion update (of course it's cheaper than mobileme was. Mobileme was overpriced imho, even for the Amazon price).

I'm not sure I want Lion on my computer. So I'm happy they are extending my mobileme. I can take my time and decide if I want to upgrade or not (they might get me with that though once mobileme goes away, it's a small thing but I'm totally addicted to my calendars and contacts updating as I enter them on all my devices. IT's really the only thing I got mobileme for. I get a tiny bit of use out of idisk and find my iphone and I don't even use the email address at all).

btcutter
Jun 7, 2011, 01:01 AM
I currently use Google contacts/mail/calendar to sync all of my info to all of my various devices (PC, Mac, iPhone, Android phone).
I also use dropbox for work files and Picasa/Flickr for pics.

Can anyone point out any advantage iCloud may have over my current setup?

Adds photo stream, music, apps and documents as well.....all free too. Apple is trying to add what worked for android to what worked for Apple so it can keep Apple and eat Android too. :-)

btcutter
Jun 7, 2011, 01:05 AM
You've made some good choices. Apple's past history with the iTools/Mac/MobileMe is one of their worst implementations ever, so I don't blame you for shopping other places, and Google is doing a good job where Apple was stumbling.

Apple needs to earn a lot of people respect back in this area, and I think this time it is well thought out and the infrastructure put into place before announcing.

While you may stay with your current setup, keep your eye on what Apple is doing with their new software in Lion, iOS5 and iCloud because it may be the tightest and most automatic implementation on the planet.

The way Apple is trying to make amends is by making iCloud FREE. Jobs is right. Make them free and people will come. Bet you every Apple sales person is taught now to "help" new buyers get a new Apple ID and email address since it's free now.

SeaFox
Jun 7, 2011, 01:34 AM
It seems pretty good. But what if we want more than 5gb?
^This

It's downright insulting for current MobileMe subscribers. I have 20 GB right now. I guess the price of hard drives must have gone up after all these years since I'm now expected to make do with five. I mean I have that beat with the tiny flash drive on my keychain right now (8 GB, faster read/write than iDisk, doesn't require internet access to use).

pmd
Jun 7, 2011, 01:46 AM
Your initial sync has to be done with a computer. Then for updates you sign into the proper accounts. You can toggle back and forth on the device but with the new system that may sync a whole lot of other stuff.

You can only toggle back and forth on the device (I assume you're talking about the button at the bottom of the iTunes and App Store main views) if the account you're switching to is in the same country. When signing in with an Apple Id of a different country it'll say the credit card isn't valid and also various things like the Postcode/zipcode format.

If you need to switch between accounts at different stores you can only do it my doing the signout-signin dance in iTunes on your Mac/PC. I'd love to be proven wrong on this.

For all the previous posters who are wondering about how iCloud will work for families that share accounts, spare a thought for those families like mine that have multiple accounts in different countries.
:(

marksman
Jun 7, 2011, 01:50 AM

You can back up anything there too...

How do you back up ANY document off your iPhone with Dropbox? With an App right?

With the iCloud API devs of any app will be able to allow access to any kind of document for any program or for other programs to be backed up.

The iCloud solution will be superior to Dropbox.

^This

It's downright insulting for current MobileMe subscribers. I have 20 GB right now. I guess the price of hard drives must have gone up after all these years since I'm now expected to make do with five. I mean I have that beat with the tiny flash drive on my keychain right now (8 GB, faster read/write than iDisk, doesn't require internet access to use).

5 gigs is free in iCloud, 20 gigs is $99 a year in Mobileme.

I am not sure I am following your comparison.

They might make additional space available in iCloud for a price... You don't know that.. but to somehow claim that $99 a year for 20 gigs is somehow a better deal than 5 gigs for free... well it is not working.

Cougarcat
Jun 7, 2011, 01:51 AM
^This

Breathe.

1. Purchased Music, Apps, books, and photos don't go towards your 5 GB.
2. iCloud is free.
3. You can purchase more space if you need it.
4. Your flash drive doesn't sync automatically. This is a syncing service, not a storage service.

Feel better now?