PDA

View Full Version : PC Free: No Computer Needed for iOS 5 Devices

MacRumors
Jun 6, 2011, 03:59 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/06/pc-free-no-computer-needed-for-ios-5-devices/)

Thanks to iCloud (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/06/apple-introduces-icloud-contact-cal-docs-photos-and-music-syncing-free-of-charge/), with the introduction of iOS 5 (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/06/apple-previews-ios-5-with-notification-center-ota-updates-wi-fi-itunes-syncing-and-more/) this fall, iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad users no longer need to connect their devices to a Mac or PC in order to use them.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/features_pcfree-500x287.jpg

(http://www.front.macrumors.com/?attachment_id=313744)

Apple is calling the new feature PC Free (http://www.apple.com/ios/ios5/features.html#pcfree), and it allows users to activate their devices wirelessly, right out of the box. Future iOS updates can be downloaded over-the-air and iCloud will enable backups of photos, music, contacts, calendars and more -- and allow users to simply type in their AppleID and password to restore a new device from an iCloud backup. That should make Genius Bar device swaps much more convenient as well, not to mention easier and quicker Personal Setup on new iOS devices at Apple Stores.

This is a long-needed feature that should further expand the reach of Apple's devices. Tech-savvy youngsters can buy products for their parents and grandparents without needing to teach them about syncing or for them to even need any other device. The vaunted "digital hub (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod#History_and_design)" that Apple introduced with the original iPod nearly 10 years ago, which had the Mac at the center of your digital world with other devices surrounding it, is gone.

Now, Apple's (free!) iCloud service will be the center of everything.

Article Link: PC Free: No Computer Needed for iOS 5 Devices (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/06/pc-free-no-computer-needed-for-ios-5-devices/)

adztaylor
Jun 6, 2011, 04:03 PM
About time! Liking the automatic backups to the iCloud via wifi too.

GeekLawyer
Jun 6, 2011, 04:03 PM
Grandparents of the world: rejoice!!

(And we grandchildren who previously provided tech support: really rejoice!!)

Merthyrboy
Jun 6, 2011, 04:29 PM
Wireless backups. Yay! such a nice feature that is.

kirky29
Jun 6, 2011, 04:29 PM
This will hopefully stop a few people I know coming over to my house to have to update their iPhone/iPad!

res1233
Jun 6, 2011, 04:32 PM
Grandparents of the world: rejoice!!

(And we grandchildren who previously provided tech support: really rejoice!!)

Haha, that's for sure. No longer does my Grandma have to sync with iTunes, or rather, get me to walk her through the steps to sync with iTunes.

pmasters
Jun 6, 2011, 05:07 PM
Okay, maybe I am not getting the whole picture of this. If I understand correctly, all IOS5 devices no longer require a computer or any device for use. Does this render current generation Touch's useless then since no Touch device has any way to connect to the cloud except over Wifi?

From the keynote, they made the statement that some people just want to buy the device and have it be their only device. Then how would they be able to access stuff if there is no over-the-air connection available for this device other than Wifi?

I am sure I am just not understanding exactly what they are doing. Or could this be a hint to the next generation Touch device offering network access plans minus the phone option?

notsofatjames
Jun 6, 2011, 06:50 PM
Okay, maybe I am not getting the whole picture of this. If I understand correctly, all IOS5 devices no longer require a computer or any device for use. Does this render current generation Touch's useless then since no Touch device has any way to connect to the cloud except over Wifi?

From the keynote, they made the statement that some people just want to buy the device and have it be their only device. Then how would they be able to access stuff if there is no over-the-air connection available for this device other than Wifi?

I am sure I am just not understanding exactly what they are doing. Or could this be a hint to the next generation Touch device offering network access plans minus the phone option?

You can have wifi without a computer. Most wifi-routers set up using a browser so all iOS devices could set it up. Apple's wifi routers however do not use a browser for configuration, so the only thing possibly to read from all this is that apple may work on an Airport Utility app for iOS.

And an iPod Touch with the necessary hardware to have cellular network access is an iPhone. You could buy an iPhone and a data only service from a cell-provider.

And most importantly, cable-free is an option. Personally when first setting up a new iDevice, I'm gonna be using USB to do the initial 20GB of music transfer. Downloading 20GB from "the could" would take weeks, not minutes (as was so eloquently put in the keynote). For as you go downloads of apps and stuff though iCloud sounds great!

bradyholt
Jun 6, 2011, 06:54 PM
Did the screen say delta updates? What is delta updates? I thought, and could be wrong that delta updates are smaller updates like 5.0.X and 5.1 would be more than delta and thus would require a wired connection to a computer of choice. Correct me if I am wrong.

Nermal
Jun 6, 2011, 06:57 PM
Delta updates = Only the files that have changed are downloaded (like Android updates). Under the current system you need to download a several hundred MB image, so the delta updates will be much smaller.

superspiffy
Jun 6, 2011, 07:24 PM
If iOS devices can now exist autonomously and be PC Free, does this mean I can create new smart playlists, change meta data, delete music, create photo albums, smart albums, rate photos, etc all in my iOS device? Because that is really the only reason why I still sync my iPad and a iPhone to my Mac.

caspersoong
Jun 6, 2011, 07:39 PM
My backup, etc. are bigger than 5 GB. I wonder what Apple would do.

Vertical
Jun 6, 2011, 08:47 PM
Im most worried about creating photo albums. That has always hendered me from being able to keep my photo's in any sort of organized manner on the phone. They are all in one GIANT "Camera Roll" because I cannot create seperate albums on the phone. Only by creating them on the computer and syncing them. This is SUPER annoying. I hope they add the ability to create albums and allow you to move photo's between albums so that those new albums can sync over the air. Would also be nice to have a "Private" album that you can prevent from syncing over the air to all of your other devices, or at least have it be protected by a password on all of the devices even if it still does sync.

Just my 2 cents.

Mimpd123
Jun 6, 2011, 09:48 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

From http://www.apple.com/ios/ios5/features.html#photos

Turn your snapshots into frame-worthy photos in just a few taps. Crop, rotate, enhance, and remove red-eye without leaving the Photos app. Even organize your photos in albums right on your device.

I can now start migrating my home computers to Linux because I no longer have iTunes teathering me to windows!

Jun 6, 2011, 10:56 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

From http://www.apple.com/ios/ios5/features.html#photos

Turn your snapshots into frame-worthy photos in just a few taps. Crop, rotate, enhance, and remove red-eye without leaving the Photos app. Even organize your photos in albums right on your device.

I can now start migrating my home computers to Linux because I no longer have iTunes teathering me to windows!

this is a major win. finally getting folders to organize our photos and also make basic editing to photos!

TallManNY
Jun 6, 2011, 11:58 PM

Wow, I didn't think of that. Someone at Microsoft just took a crap in their pants though.

On a related note, I was sitting next to a guy on a plan flight a week ago and he was talking about how he used Ubuntu, the linux OS. He seemed pretty sophisticated on some things but not on others. I was impressed that he was running an alternative OS system on his netbook (partitioned with Windows though). I really thought that just total techies used linux. This guy was approaching 60 and worked for the phone company, but in a tech related role. He was impressed by my iPad and asked if OS X was hard to learn to use, if that tells you a little about his sophistication, but still was running a partitioned netbook with Linux.

PeckhamBog
Jun 7, 2011, 05:01 AM
How does the grand parent acquire the Apple ID if they're not already part of the Apple Eco-system?

As previously mentioned, they've got to get WiFi into the dwelling, though here in the UK most ISPs provide a wireless hub in the kit.

Osamede
Jun 7, 2011, 05:50 AM
No computer needed to start or operate a smartphone. Wow, quite an invention to be proud of. Of course, every other brand of smartphone I have used since the beginning of time was able to be used out of the box - no computer needed, no activation. Just put in your SIM and go. But clearly this is some novelty by Apple.

Not to mention the idiocy of calling supposed invention "PC free", as if Apples own tethering was not the problem in the first place. I mean why not call it "Mac Free". At least that would be honest.

Of course this isnt honest as you are still tethered as you must activate the phone by connecting to Apple anyway - just that now you are tethered to a data center in North Carolina. Which I guess means that we these devices are not even free anyway.

Sometimes you just have to give George Orwell his credit - we are surely living in a "1984" world, only difference is thtat it is a commercial one.

kdarling
Jun 7, 2011, 06:44 AM
Haha, that's for sure. No longer does my Grandma have to sync with iTunes, or rather, get me to walk her through the steps to sync with iTunes.

Yes! Finally. Been saying for years that Apple had to cut loose the PC tether or they'd lose out on huge chunks of the world market.

Except...

My mother has an original iPad with no iTunes computer. So I'll still have to make a special trip with a laptop in order to get iOS 5 installed.

Too bad Apple can't put together an OS loader app and put it on their App Store.

GeekLawyer
Jun 7, 2011, 06:53 AM
How does the grand parent acquire the Apple ID if they're not already part of the Apple Eco-system?

As previously mentioned, they've got to get WiFi into the dwelling, though here in the UK most ISPs provide a wireless hub in the kit.It appears you can sign up for an Apple ID directly from the iOS device. If it's an iPhone or iPad with 3G, the data is sorted out through the carrier. There are lots of ways to get internet access at home these days, most of which include a wifi router of some type that can be set up wirelessly using mobile Safari.

iSee
Jun 7, 2011, 07:44 AM
No computer needed to start or operate a smartphone. Wow, quite an invention to be proud of. Of course, every other brand of smartphone I have used since the beginning of time was able to be used out of the box - no computer needed, no activation. Just put in your SIM and go. But clearly this is some novelty by Apple.

Not to mention the idiocy of calling supposed invention "PC free", as if Apples own tethering was not the problem in the first place. I mean why not call it "Mac Free". At least that would be honest.

Of course this isnt honest as you are still tethered as you must activate the phone by connecting to Apple anyway - just that now you are tethered to a data center in North Carolina. Which I guess means that we these devices are not even free anyway.

Sometimes you just have to give George Orwell his credit - we are surely living in a "1984" world, only difference is thtat it is a commercial one.

I think the point is that you get backups, media synching and sharing, data synching and sharing, etc. without a PC.

If you've been using smart phones without a computer you've had to get by without these things.

Also, if you're concerned about Big Brother, activation and an optional iCloud is the least of your worries... You certainly don't want to be carrying around any cell phone, smart, dumb, whatever.

SockRolid
Jun 7, 2011, 12:59 PM
Apple uses free built-in apps and now iCloud to sell hardware. Google uses free software to sell ads to advertisers.

Which approach do you prefer?

Amazing Iceman
Jun 7, 2011, 06:35 PM
Apple uses free built-in apps and now iCloud to sell hardware. Google uses free software to sell ads to advertisers.

Which approach do you prefer?

I'll take Apple's approach any time. I hate being distracted or interrupted by ads. Buying cool and useful hardware every few years is not a problem.

Amazing Iceman
Jun 7, 2011, 06:39 PM
Yes! Finally. Been saying for years that Apple had to cut loose the PC tether or they'd lose out on huge chunks of the world market.

Except...

My mother has an original iPad with no iTunes computer. So I'll still have to make a special trip with a laptop in order to get iOS 5 installed.

Too bad Apple can't put together an OS loader app and put it on their App Store.
Mom says buy her an ipad2 with iOS 5 preinstalled; she wouldn't mind shipping the old one back to you. She wants to be able to use FaceTime.

bman1209
Jun 8, 2011, 12:36 PM
Hi,

I'm wondering if when I get my new iPhone 5 in the fall if iCloud will be able to transfer all - or atleast some of my info - automatically to my new iPhone 5 from my current iPhone 3G?

Thanks,

Brandon

dexdexter
Jun 9, 2011, 08:16 AM
So, does this mean that, come iOS 5, my iPhone will no longer be limited to loading music from just ONE computer?

In other words, can I now put music on my iPhone from the iTunes libraries residing on both my laptop AND my desktop?

gnasher729
Jun 9, 2011, 10:02 AM
So, does this mean that, come iOS 5, my iPhone will no longer be limited to loading music from just ONE computer?

In other words, can I now put music on my iPhone from the iTunes libraries residing on both my laptop AND my desktop?

1. Any music that you bought from iTunes using the same Apple ID.
2. For $24.99 per year, any music on your computers that is available on iTunes, no matter where the music comes from, again as long as your computers use the same Apple ID.

Amazing Iceman
Jun 10, 2011, 12:57 PM
Hi,

I'm wondering if when I get my new iPhone 5 in the fall if iCloud will be able to transfer all - or atleast some of my info - automatically to my new iPhone 5 from my current iPhone 3G?

Thanks,

Brandon

According to what was explained at WWDC's Keynote, I understood that your iPhone 3G cannot be upgraded to iOS5, so you would need to backup to iTunes, then restore to your iPhone 5 via iTunes. Then iCloud should kick in, and any other iOS 5 devices you may have, such as an iPad will automatically sync your data via iCloud.