PDA

View Full Version : Apple Rolls Out First iCloud Features: Automatic Downloads, Purchased Content Listings

MacRumors
Jun 6, 2011, 04:33 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/06/apple-rolls-out-first-icloud-features-automatic-downloads-purchased-content-listings/)

While Apple's new iCloud service doesn't fully launch until the fall alongside iOS 5, the company has already rolled out a few small portions of the service to existing users. Among the additions are automatic downloads and listings of purchased content for easy redownloading.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/ios_automatic_downloads.jpg

Automatic downloads allow users to set preferences to have newly-purchased content such as music, apps, and books automatically pushed to other devices. Users have individual control over the three different media types and can also specify whether or not content pushing should be limited to Wi-Fi connections only in order to save cellular bandwidth. Settings are available within the "Store" menu of the Settings application in iOS 4.3.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/ios_itunes_purchased_tab.jpg

Facilitating the re-download of previously purchased content are new "Purchased" listings found in the iTunes, App Store, and iBooks applications for iOS devices. The new listings provide users with easy access to listings of all items purchased on a given Apple ID, whether or not that content is currently on the device. Users can then easily obtain the previously-purchased content not currently installed.

Apple is also in the process of releasing iTunes 10.3 for Mac OS X and Windows, an update that should bring the new iCloud capabilities to the Mac side of things. The new version is being advertised on Apple's iTunes site, but the actual download page is still showing iTunes 10.2.2 and Software Update is not yet offering the new version.

Article Link: Apple Rolls Out First iCloud Features: Automatic Downloads, Purchased Content Listings (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/06/apple-rolls-out-first-icloud-features-automatic-downloads-purchased-content-listings/)

rorschach
Jun 6, 2011, 04:36 PM
Being able to browse apps you've purchased but haven't installed is nice. As is being able to re-download music. And hey, it's free.

macintoshdaddy
Jun 6, 2011, 04:37 PM
I'm still not seeing this. Any help?

on 4.3.1 JB

DeuceDeuce
Jun 6, 2011, 04:38 PM

Same here. On 4.3.1 JB

smiddlehurst
Jun 6, 2011, 04:38 PM
Hmm, Apps and Books available but no music... I assume the UK is going to have to wait on that for a while longer? Ah well, not a big deal or unexpected and maybe it'll be there in time for iOS 5 launch in the autumn.

alexandero
Jun 6, 2011, 04:39 PM
The option for music sync seems to only show for US accounts.

Sigh.

richard4339
Jun 6, 2011, 04:39 PM
This is great. So, when does the Verizon iPhone get 4.3? We're still waiting on features introduced a few months back.

LastLine
Jun 6, 2011, 04:40 PM

Sigh.

Ditto this. "Licensing issues" I'd put money on it.

KALLT
Jun 6, 2011, 04:40 PM

Sigh.

I hope it's only temporary. Apple did not mention that this would only be available to US customers. It would definitely be a hugh letdown.

diamond.g
Jun 6, 2011, 04:41 PM
Same here. On 4.3.1 JB

I think you need to be on 4.3.3.

cardinalryan
Jun 6, 2011, 04:42 PM
This is great. So, when does the Verizon iPhone get 4.3? We're still waiting on features introduced a few months back.

This.

Man...the Verizon iPhone is not even the same device as the AT&T version. Sucks for those of us who are with VZW.

MCRunning
What about those who share their iTunes account with their family members? Any way to control what gets downloaded?

megsandbytes

Sigh.

I assume you are from Canada? If so, being Canadian myself, I know we are often the last to have access to updates and I don't mean with Apple but just in general.

harleyb
Jun 6, 2011, 04:43 PM
4.3.3 in Canada, option exists for Apps and iBooks but not Music.

topmounter
Jun 6, 2011, 04:44 PM
I can't login to Mobile Me anymore :(

conecode
Jun 6, 2011, 04:45 PM
In the U.S. and I am not seeing any updates. Only an update to Find My iPhone.

Edit: Never mind. I'm on Verizon.

bmms8
Jun 6, 2011, 04:46 PM
i turn on music and apps, but it automatically slides back to off. am i missing something? maybe i need to wait till new itunes comes out?

tkermit
Jun 6, 2011, 04:47 PM
I hope it's only temporary. Apple did not mention that this would only be available to US customers. It would definitely be a hugh letdown.

It says so on their website. But yeah, maybe that will change with time...

iCloud automatically downloads any new music purchase to all your devices over Wi-Fi — or over 3G if you choose. Which means you can buy a song from iTunes on your iPad at home, and find it waiting for you on your iPhone during your morning commute. All without having to sync 1

[...] 1 Available in beta now in the U.S. only

richard4339
Jun 6, 2011, 04:47 PM
This.

Man...the Verizon iPhone is not even the same device as the AT&T version. Sucks for those of us who are with VZW.

I hate to sound like a troll, but it's annoying to me that we still don't have the new airplay stuff or any other new features from 4.3. And now we won't get these updates either until who knows when.

cardinalryan
Jun 6, 2011, 04:49 PM
I hate to sound like a troll, but it's annoying to me that we still don't have the new airplay stuff or any other new features from 4.3. And now we won't get these updates either until who knows when.

That's not trolling...it's a legit complaint.

tdar
Jun 6, 2011, 04:50 PM

we're going to have to wait until "fall" I am afraid, when we get 5.0

historyteacher
Jun 6, 2011, 04:52 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

What about those who share their iTunes account with their family members? Any way to control what gets downloaded?

This was my same thought. Any ideas?

macmedal
Jun 6, 2011, 04:53 PM
No iTunes yet for UK accounts and it only allows ONE account per device for auto downloads. When I logged onto my US account showed iTunes but warned me that if I switched associated accounts it would lock out my other account for 90 days !

lars666
Switching between two Apple IDs not possible without deactivating the download ability for the original activated ID for 90 days ... :(

EDIT: macmedal was faster than me. Also, even switching the account to another and back in the iPhone/iPad iTunes Store disables the toggles for synching, you have to turn them on again.

Aduntu
That's not trolling...it's a legit complaint.

Agreed. I tend to have low expectations when it comes to things like this, but this is probably the first issue that is really irritating me.

Consultant
Jun 6, 2011, 04:54 PM
Haven't been this excited about an iTunes update for a long time. Give it to me, give it to me now Apple!

autrefois
Does anyone know if new podcasts will be automatically synced as well? I'm assuming not, but this would be the most useful one for me.

DanWithams
I do wish they'd a little more specific with their words. When they're releasing new hardware like an iPhone or iPad they ALWAYS take care to explain the difference in release between territories, but so far as the feeds showed iTunes on iCloud was ready for everyone. Sucks to find out in the Ts and Cs it's actually Beta and US only =/

nateo200
Jun 6, 2011, 04:55 PM
I was about to complain on here about not being able to enable this let alone even see it but I see its not available on Verizon yet...sigh why does this have to be carrier specific for a device that seams to be not so tied down by carriers? Today I tried to download an app and it kindly notifed me I had to have 4.3...ugh..

coolfactor
Jun 6, 2011, 04:55 PM

Doubt it. It's per-Apple ID.

Jeaz
Jun 6, 2011, 04:57 PM
Music seems to be US only, meh, disappointing.

saxman
I'm seeing the changes in the U.S. running 4.3.3 and my phone is jailbroken.

I can't believe how many junk apps I've downloaded in the past 3 years that I don't have installed on any device or in iTunes anymore. I wonder if I could scrub those somehow...

Coleman2010
I'm on ATT 4.3.2 on my iPhone and iPad 2. I don't see the options on either.

???

autrefois
Jun 6, 2011, 04:58 PM
Doubt it. It's per-Apple ID.

I would assume that since you don't have to have the syncing on, the options for the family member's device would be:

* have icloud syncing turned on for their device so that it automatically syncs up and downloads all the same things as yours (and yours will get anything they purchase/download if your device is on sync, too)

* have icloud syncing turned off for their device, allowing their device to have different apps/etc. from yours while still sharing the same account. Then they could manually download anything they want to as is the case currently, or use the Past Purchases feature.

coolfactor
Jun 6, 2011, 04:58 PM

You're probably looking for this "feature":

Individually download past purchases. Beta
When you buy a song, app, or book, iTunes lets you access your purchase history so you can download what you want, from any device you want. That way, if you donít want your iPad to automatically download everything you buy on your iPhone, just choose the things you do want to download ó song by song, app by app, or book by book.

daneoni
Jun 6, 2011, 04:59 PM
Am i the only one who can't toggle the App option? It keeps kicking back to OFF after a few seconds when i tap ON.

moseleyite
Does anyone know if new podcasts will be automatically synced as well? I'm assuming not, but this would be the most useful one for me.

Me too.. although, being in the uk, I'm probably getting ahead of myself! :D

kockgunner
This is so exciting! Finally I can download apps again and not be scared of accidentally paying for it. Sometimes I don't use an app for a while and I even delete it from iTunes and there was no way of telling whether I had purchased it before.

It's pretty cool that this feature just appeared too. So basically the settings page for the App Store is an HTML site right?

PorterRocks
Jun 6, 2011, 05:00 PM
Thank you iCloud!

A couple years ago I was in between computers and just had my iPhone 3G. When my phone broke, I lost everything. I was mainly pissed about losing over 150 songs that I paid for and a few music videos. I re-purchased some of them, but I couldn't remember what all I had lost. Now with the "purchase history" I can download all the music that I lost! For free! :D

ten-oak-druid
Jun 6, 2011, 05:01 PM
Its good to know about this and turn it off if you have already maxed out the storage on a device. I like to leave some space on a device. I'd hate to think of a large file downloading to my phone because I purchased it for my computer.

Edit: just check and the default is for these to be off. So that is good.

Also the itunes store has an item called "purchases" under the quick links to the right side. It says "new" beside it. Clicking it however takes you to a page in itunes store that describes the features of itunes 10.3. Clicking "free download" takes you to Apple's itunes web page but only 10.2.2 is offered.

autrefois
Jun 6, 2011, 05:04 PM
Me too.. although, being in the uk, I'm probably getting ahead of myself! :D

I think if it is going to be US only, at least for the beta phase, then they should have made that clear.

I'd be pretty frustrated right now, I wonder is it because they're still working out deals with other record companies/subsidiaries in other countries??

rcorai
Jun 6, 2011, 05:04 PM
Hi,
My MobileMe account had expired few weeks ago. Can I sync my calendar and contact now or I should wait until next fall?

centauratlas
Jun 6, 2011, 05:06 PM
Try 4.3.3

???

WestonHarvey1
Jun 6, 2011, 05:06 PM
Downloading the iOS 5 beta now!

This is the one of the best perks of iPhone development - walking around with the new iOS several months before it comes out.

Eduardo1971
Jun 6, 2011, 05:07 PM
I must say I was taken for surprise. I was expecting this feature in iOS 5. I really stumbled upon it.

autrefois
Jun 6, 2011, 05:07 PM
Its good to know about this and turn it off if you have already maxed out the storage on a device. I like to leave some space on a device. I'd hate to think of a large file downloading to my phone because I purchased it for my computer.

Good point. I was "grandfathered" in to unlimited data with AT&T, for now at least. For people who have limited 3G data, or who have limited bandwidth at home (which I do now), this could eat up data quickly if one isn't careful.

Also the itunes store has an item called "purchases" under the quick links to the right side. It says "new" beside it. Clicking it however takes you to a page in the store telling you the features of itunes 10.3. Clicking "download now" takes you to Apple's itunes web page but only 10.2.2 is offered.

Hopefully they'll have the 10.3 beta up soon, with all this talk of seamless syncing it would be nice if they had seamlessly updated all the information and links...

DrDomVonDoom
Jun 6, 2011, 05:08 PM
The real question is, can you finally delete songs one by one from your phone now? Anyone with the update, can you give me a definitive answer?

tigres
Jun 6, 2011, 05:11 PM
Ok selected apps to auto download on iPad. Now what?

Nothing happens... I thought it just works automajically

lisster
Jun 6, 2011, 05:16 PM
All i want to know is when are we going to be able to do this for movies, i have like 30 songs on my phone / ipad but tons of movies/shows :P

7o7munoz7o7
Jun 6, 2011, 05:18 PM

???

4.3.3 is not equal to 4.3.2

riotpoof
Jun 6, 2011, 05:18 PM
my purchased apps is a friggin mess - I deleted all those apps for a reason. deleted from phone and from my computer so don't go storing them in iCloud. I would like to have a little more control over what stays in iCloud after I've deleted it. I download apps all the time to test them out and then delete after one use.

OSMac
Jun 6, 2011, 05:22 PM
Why auto downloads for all apps?

You download some app and try it, if like most apps never use it again more than 2x, but its now taking up space on every device?

Same thing with pics,
this cloud seems more like a torrential rainfall designed to fill up device storage as quickly as possible :)

lehite
Jun 6, 2011, 05:22 PM
I can't believe how many junk apps I've downloaded in the past 3 years that I don't have installed on any device or in iTunes anymore. I wonder if I could scrub those somehow...

If anyone has an idea of how to edit/clear the list that would be welcome. Too much junk that I'll never want (downloaded for a total of five minutes to try it out, etc).

Pink∆Floyd
Jun 6, 2011, 05:26 PM
Guys, you have to be on 4.3.3 in order to use this and have an American iTunes account

This article fails to state this

KALLT
Jun 6, 2011, 05:28 PM
my purchased apps is a friggin mess - I deleted all those apps for a reason. deleted from phone and from my computer so don't go storing them in iCloud. I would like to have a little more control over what stays in iCloud after I've deleted it. I download apps all the time to test them out and then delete after one use.

The iTunes Store has this new option called 'Purchased' (on the home page under Quick links). It is only available if you use iTunes 10.3. It might solve your problem.

pounce
Jun 6, 2011, 05:30 PM
Am i the only one who can't toggle the App option? It keeps kicking back to OFF after a few seconds when i tap ON.

same question here.

worked fine on my iphone, my ipad doesn't allow those options to be switched on - they just kick back to off after I select on. no idea why.

Coleman2010
Jun 6, 2011, 05:30 PM
Try 4.3.3

I updated my iPad 2 to 4.3.3. Where do I find the options? I do not see them in General preferences on the iPad and I do not see any options in the iTunes store app on the iPad.

???

djrobsd
Jun 6, 2011, 05:31 PM

Wow, I guess I continue to be rewarded for sticking with AT&T's crappy service... ;)

Coleman2010
Jun 6, 2011, 05:31 PM
Ok selected apps to auto download on iPad. Now what?

Nothing happens... I thought it just works automajically
I updated my iPad 2 to 4.3.3. Where do I find the options? I do not see them in General preferences on the iPad and I do not see any options in the iTunes store app on the iPad.

???
Where did you find the options?

nvbrit
Jun 6, 2011, 05:32 PM
I find it interesting that the addition of the Purchased option and the Setting for automatic downloads just 'appeared on our devices today with no syncing or updating. I'm guessing Apple must already have the ability to push small OTA updates to us without us realizing?

twoodcc
Jun 6, 2011, 05:35 PM
Well at least something coming today!

Coleman2010
Jun 6, 2011, 05:36 PM
I find it interesting that the addition of the Purchased option and the Setting for automatic downloads just 'appeared on our devices today with no syncing or updating. I'm guessing Apple must already have the ability to push small OTA updates to us without us realizing?
Nvbrit can you tell me where you are going on your device to see this? Step by step? My iPad 2 is 4.3.3.

bmwhd
Jun 6, 2011, 05:37 PM
WTF? I'm running 4.3.3 JB and now suddenly have this on my phone. How the hell did it get on there?

farleysmaster
Jun 6, 2011, 05:38 PM

No, those apps (itunes/app store/account settings) are just front-ends for a web-based service as far as I can tell.

nvbrit
Jun 6, 2011, 05:42 PM
No, those apps (itunes/app store/account settings) are just front-ends for a web-based service as far as I can tell.

I can see iTunes and the AppStore being web based front ends, but I would think that Settings is hard baked into the OS

nvbrit
Jun 6, 2011, 05:46 PM
Nvbrit can you tell me where you are going on your device to see this? Step by step? My iPad 2 is 4.3.3.

I'm doing this on an Ipod Touch right now, my iPad 2 is at home so won't be trying on that until later but I imagine it's the same.

On your home screen go to the Settings app.
Scroll down to 'Store' and select it
It will initially just show your Apple ID
Give it a few seconds and the 'Automatic Downloads' section will appear with the options for turning Music, Apps and Books on or off for auto downloads.

Coleman2010
Jun 6, 2011, 05:46 PM
I found it and it does not require 4.3.3. My iPhone is 4.3.2.

1. Click settings on the device
2. Click store from the list

The page refreshes and the options are there.

aristotle
Jun 6, 2011, 05:47 PM
I can see iTunes and the AppStore being web based front ends, but I would think that Settings is hard baked into the OS
Yes and no.

You will see some variation in what is available on for example 3G iPads depending on what carrier you are on. The bones of the interface are on the device but some of the content in the settings app can arrive via OTA updates and end up cached on the device.

farleysmaster
Jun 6, 2011, 05:49 PM
Yes and no.

You will see some variation in what is available on for example 3G iPads depending on what carrier you are on. The bones of the interface are on the device but some of the content in the settings app can arrive via OTA updates and end up cached on the device.

That's something else, though isn't it? Carrier updates come through iTunes, I think.

The account settings app did definitely seem to load something up. I'm just guessing, though.

TXiPhone4
Jun 6, 2011, 05:58 PM

Same here..........anyone know how to clear that purchased app list?

12jw77
Jun 6, 2011, 06:04 PM
I redownloaded a song thru icloud on my iphone just to see how it works and it worked great. my question is how do I remove that song from my iphone now. try connecting to itunes and doing it that way but no dice. i synced the rest of that artist and iphone has duplicates of that song. Removed that artist but icloud copy is still there. Anyone found an option to remove redownloaded icloud copies?

DrDomVonDoom
Jun 6, 2011, 06:06 PM
Yet I cannot delete songs on my iPod from my iPod...wtf. Its not that big of a issue Apple, if I can download songs to my iPhone why can't I delete the songs on my iPhone? This contradicts the whole ' post pc mobile digital lifestyle' pitch you were talking about earlier. But the Itunes cloud is very cool! Don't be all negative!:p

Hberg
Jun 6, 2011, 06:07 PM

I agree. It would be nice to have way to delete those apps that provided little value.

Icaras
Jun 6, 2011, 06:13 PM
Yet I cannot delete songs on my iPod from my iPod...wtf. Its not that big of a issue Apple, if I can download songs to my iPhone why can't I delete the songs on my iPhone? This contradicts the whole ' post pc mobile digital lifestyle' pitch you were talking about earlier. But the Itunes cloud is very cool! Don't be all negative!:p

Agreed...Probably in a later update.

J R R
Jun 6, 2011, 06:22 PM
I agree. It would be nice to have way to delete those apps that provided little value.

I've turned on apps and books on my iPad 1 (UK - no iTunes) and it hasn't downloaded the old crap I've deleted - and the text in setting does say new purchases.

Like others, when I try to flick the on sliders on my 3GS it just turns them off again. So sounds like whatever process of updating is going on has not got to all device/carrier combinations yet.

I'm on Vodafone in the UK, latest software on all.

nvbrit
Jun 6, 2011, 06:24 PM

that will come in iOS 5, we don't have the "no PC" features yet, if you notice in the keynote you can also delete photos as well as edit, move to other galleries and create new galleries, also feature we cannot do in iOS 4 yet

cvaldes
Jun 6, 2011, 06:37 PM
Why auto downloads for all apps?

You download some app and try it, if like most apps never use it again more than 2x, but its now taking up space on every device?

Same thing with pics,
this cloud seems more like a torrential rainfall designed to fill up device storage as quickly as possible :)
The assumption is that if you download something, you want it on your devices.

However, if you delete something, it won't force it back onto the device in question (just like syncing with iTunes). If I download an app on my iPod touch, sync with iTunes, the next time I sync my iPad to iTunes, that new app will be copied over to the tablet.

If I delete an app on one device, it will not be recopied over the next time I sync with iTunes. This is basically the same behavior, however it is doing it wirelessly to iCloud.

Same thing with the photos. The iCloud service is designed for syncing, however, you can customize as desired.

Of course, you can turn this feature off. I don't keep music on my iPad so I have music auto downloads turned off on that device. However, I may turn off book auto downloads on my iPod touch (I'd rather read books on the tablet's larger screen).

Again, you are not forced to use any of this stuff.

aznkid25
Jun 6, 2011, 07:12 PM
Is iTunes 10.3 for windows only available for windows right now, or is it available for public? Not seeing the download yet.

SAD*FACED*CLOWN
Jun 6, 2011, 07:17 PM
I was able to redownload all the songs I lost when my computer crashed two years ago!!! Yes!!!....only thing I see missing is the option to download purchased tv shows

Jun 6, 2011, 07:17 PM
Being able to browse apps you've purchased but haven't installed is nice. As is being able to re-download music. And hey, it's free.

Would be nice if I could 'remove' those from the list that I will never ever care about again (because they were too bad)

Jun 6, 2011, 07:24 PM
Thank you iCloud!

A couple years ago I was in between computers and just had my iPhone 3G. When my phone broke, I lost everything. I was mainly pissed about losing over 150 songs that I paid for and a few music videos. I re-purchased some of them, but I couldn't remember what all I had lost. Now with the "purchase history" I can download all the music that I lost! For free! :D

You could have called the apple store / support and they would have enabled the re-download for you. A friend of mine did this when his phone broke and he got everything back. But nice to see that you can do this now without calling and explaining that you just broke your phone ...

motty2307
Jun 6, 2011, 07:28 PM
I've turned on the Automatic Downloads for music and I go into the "Purchased" tab in the iTunes app on my iPhone. When I choose "Not On This iPhone", it's listing songs that I do have on my phone. Not all of them, but a few. Anyone else having this?

EDIT: I guess it could just be that this is a "beta" version at this point...still curious though.

caspersoong
Jun 6, 2011, 07:37 PM
Works with my iPod touch iOS 4.3.2 connected to Wi-Fi.

kgtenacious
Jun 6, 2011, 07:43 PM
nevermind...

djkiddkhameleon
Jun 6, 2011, 07:45 PM
I noticed my active mobile me account has been extended for free.

"Effective June 6, 2011, if you had an active MobileMe account, your service has been automatically extended through June 30, 2012, at no additional charge. After this, the MobileMe service will no longer be available."

SWEET:D

aznkid25
Jun 6, 2011, 07:47 PM
Does any of this work on the 2nd gen ipod touch (4.2.1), or is it only for devices capable of running iOS 5?

nwcs
Jun 6, 2011, 07:50 PM
Anyone else getting a 3002 error trying to update?

Update: option clicking restore seemed to fix it. So it's installing now. Hope I can get all the stuff restored right...

Edit: and oops, thought I was on the general iOS 5 thread and not the download ones. Sorry guys.

FelixDerKater
Jun 6, 2011, 07:51 PM
Brilliant! I can redownload several albums I failed to back up years ago...

kgtenacious
Jun 6, 2011, 07:58 PM
I noticed my active mobile me account has been extended for free.

"Effective June 6, 2011, if you had an active MobileMe account, your service has been automatically extended through June 30, 2012, at no additional charge. After this, the MobileMe service will no longer be available."

SWEET:D

Oh, good! I did read it wrong - I thought it was until June of 2011. :eek:

So, what I read is this will all be free if you have Lion or iOS 5 (but you can't get a bigger iDisk, err.. iCloudius...). So what happens if you have Lion but no iOS 5 device? Does it work on one but not the other?

RossMacca
Jun 6, 2011, 07:59 PM
Anyone in the UK, with an iPad (2), managed to get any of these features working?

I've got automatic downloads for iBooks and the App Store, as well as app purchase history (I've downloaded some amount of crap over the last 3 years) working on my iPhone 4, but nothing shows up in either the settings app or in the App Store of my iPad 2...

iRobby
Jun 6, 2011, 08:01 PM

on 4.3.1 JB
i just went and made my configurations but I have 4.3.3

Psychmike
Jun 6, 2011, 08:08 PM
"Nothing to manage"

Does that mean that all my iWorks documents will automatically be uploaded to the cloud? What if I want to keep some data private?

"No files to manage"

Does that mean that all my Pages documents are going to show up in a long list? Can't I keep related documents together? Sometimes 1 project involves several different kinds of files. Can't I keep them together?

"Syncing through Wi-Fi once per day"

Can't calendars and contacts from iPad and iPhone sync immediately using Bluetooth?

"Updates changes wherever they occur"

What if I change Document A using iPad and someone else changes Document A using their laptop. Which version wins?

Azadre
Jun 6, 2011, 08:22 PM
I am on OS X and I do not see the download link.

woutervan
Jun 6, 2011, 08:27 PM
This service is not working on the Verizonwireless iPhone 4!
Fully functional on the iPad (1st Gen)

benh911f
Jun 6, 2011, 08:27 PM
Can someone please explain something to me? I'm a little confused with them saying both pushed AND downloaded. When the music is stored in iCloud, and then automatically pushed to all devices, does this take up space on the other devices?

zim
Jun 6, 2011, 08:33 PM
So.... before I go cleaning house... does this mean that I can safely no longer store apps on my backup drive because I can re-download anytime? This will free up a bit of room if true.

The one fear that I have is what happens with music... sometimes labels remove and reissue music e.g. I have a few albums that I can't upgrade to iTunes + because the label reissued the music. So if we purchase something does that mean it is there forever and ever or forever and until the label or developer pulls the app/song?

80s Fan
Jun 6, 2011, 08:34 PM
This will likely be a "dah" for many...I wanted to try these new iCloud features tonight but couldn't figure out why I couldn't see what others are. I kept thinking that maybe since I don't have a developer account and/or can not download iTunes 10.3 yet, these weren't available to me. But I finally got it working. Maybe this will help someone else in the same boat as me.

To get it working, after updating my iPhone to iOS 4.3.3, I had to check for updates, which forced my phone to show me and make me agree to the new terms of service. Once I did that, I was able to go into the iTunes app and then I was finally able to see the purchased button that everyone is talking about.

I also thought that all the songs/books/apps would automatically download. Once they did not, I realized it appears only new content purchased does this.

Hope this helps someone.

Zeos
Jun 6, 2011, 08:52 PM
This service is not working on the Verizonwireless iPhone 4!
Fully functional on the iPad (1st Gen)

Verizon iPhones don't have the latest iOS.

Azadre
Jun 6, 2011, 08:54 PM
Verizon iPhones don't have the latest iOS.

Verizon iOS not a real iOS.

Nicksd84
Jun 6, 2011, 09:26 PM
Songs that I had purchased on a previous lap top that crashed and was not backed up showed up on the purchased list. Pretty neat! I know a lot of people kept complaining about the stagnation of iOS, but I'm really liking the proposed implementations. Just sucks I will have to put up with the crappy notifications for a while longer.

diamond.g
Jun 6, 2011, 09:28 PM
Verizon iOS not a real iOS.

VeriOS...

yamaha106
Jun 6, 2011, 09:30 PM
this is very irritating for Verizon customers.

aznkid25
Jun 6, 2011, 10:32 PM
still no download of iTunes 10.3?

bretm
Jun 6, 2011, 11:10 PM
Under the store settings all I have is my apple ID. How do you get the settings?

PNutts
Jun 6, 2011, 11:17 PM
I think you need to be on 4.3.3.

Agreed. Buddy of mine on 4.3.1 no JB, no controls. Me on 4.3.3 no JB and I have the controls.

jeremiah256
Jun 6, 2011, 11:18 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It also gives the option to download any music videos.

Akzel
Jun 6, 2011, 11:18 PM
No iTunes yet for UK accounts and it only allows ONE account per device for auto downloads. When I logged onto my US account showed iTunes but warned me that if I switched associated accounts it would lock out my other account for 90 days !

Argh, when I saw that I cringed. :mad:

skemez1
Jun 6, 2011, 11:34 PM
I can't login to Mobile Me anymore :(

find my iphone hasn't been working for me all day. Has anyone else been experiencing this?

iphone 4 gsm (att) JB ios 4.3.2

pmd
Jun 6, 2011, 11:40 PM
So.... before I go cleaning house... does this mean that I can safely no longer store apps on my backup drive because I can re-download anytime? This will free up a bit of room if true.

You've always been able to re-download apps that you purchased if you deleted them. That hasn't changed.

goobot
Jun 7, 2011, 12:28 AM
my ipad keeps turning it off right when i turn it on but my iphone doesnt....

PCClone
Jun 7, 2011, 12:40 AM
I use the full 20 gig on mobile me to back up my Mac. Not sure 5 if gonna cut it, but we will see, I guess. Looks like iWeb will be history.

rroach3753
Jun 7, 2011, 12:42 AM
Apple has updated the iTunes Download Page with iTunes 10.3!

winterlocked
Jun 7, 2011, 01:07 AM
Uh oh - the option for automatic downloads for music doesn't appear on my phone, only apps and books. I'm on the Rogers network in Canada.... hope this isn't a sign that Apple hit a roadblock on this in Canada for some reason...

Any other Canucks finding this??

mrkramer
Jun 7, 2011, 01:09 AM
So does anyone know if I can use the music redownloading to get DRM free copies of songs I bought a long time ago that still have DRM on them?

Maslink
Jun 7, 2011, 01:21 AM
I changed stores when I moved to the US last year, and songs downloaded from the US store are available, but not songs from the NZ store...not a complete surprise, but curious what will happen when the 'beta' phase ends...

teme
Jun 7, 2011, 01:50 AM
Now that you can see app purchases history in iTunes, is there a way to delete apps from the purchased list? For example, I have lots of Free/Lite apps that I tried and deleted, but now they are just taking space in the purchased apps list and I don't need to download them ever again. "Download All" button is also quite unusable, because I definitely don't want to download those Free/Lite apps.

blehpunk
Jun 7, 2011, 01:52 AM
So does anyone know if I can use the music redownloading to get DRM free copies of songs I bought a long time ago that still have DRM on them?

nope. I just tried, I deleted a song I bought in 2006 and re-downloaded it. From the cloud I got Protected AAC File, Fairplay Version 2, 128 kpbs.

Nightarchaon
Jun 7, 2011, 02:00 AM
Utterly useless "feature" outside the USA it seems

I would really have liked the ability to re-download TV shows and Movies bought via iTunes , and that the need to be able to do so increases as the size of the library grows.

This is not just about drive failure (that's covered by the library being on a five drive drobo with duel disk redundancy) it's about be covered against accidental deletion by iTunes (which has for no reason , moved files and binned files before now on me) and protecting against file corruption due to unforeseen events.

Come on Apple get your act together , the world is bigger than just the Canadian and Mexican Borders you know !

BuddyTronic
Jun 7, 2011, 02:09 AM

Yeah, like lets say I downloaded a Kama Sutra app and after realizing I already had it memorized completely I deleted it off the iPhone, but now the iTouch that is used by guests in the house will show this racy and suggestive app as having already been downloaded (which is bad enough maybe), and then can download it again - and for free! haha!

Can you judge a man by the apps he downloads?

Your guests might!

Apple has to put in a way to permanently remove apps. Also many of the apps that are no longer on my iPhone are not on there for a reason - some apps sucked and I truly wanted them gone forever and ever.

This has been overlooked, so someone pass this over to Apple.

iRobby
Jun 7, 2011, 02:22 AM
I downloaded iTunes 10.3 went to preferences and checked automatic downloads for ibooks apps and Music I also enabled auto on the iPhone then went to iTunes Store on my iPhone to purchase a song and it didn't automatic download on my iTunes PC. i had to manually download it under Purchased. what do I need to do to get the auto?

iRobby
Jun 7, 2011, 02:44 AM
I figured it out iTunes on the PC has to be closed. it automatically downloads when you reopen iTunes

Exodudee
Jun 7, 2011, 02:52 AM
The awkward moment when you have far too many rubbish/boob-apps.

There should be a feature where you can get rid of free-useless apps from your purchase history. I mean, if you pay for it, I can understand, but free knock off lite apps are useless.

You try and delete for a reason, I really don't fancy having them on my cloud purchase area!

lukei4655
Jun 7, 2011, 02:54 AM
I'm a little concerned about all the power consumption that will occur with all the pushing that could possibly occur in a day. I hope Apple did a study concerning this issue on all their devices that will be able to utilize these new features. It would be really unfortunate if your ipod/iphone died while you were showing that interested person your Keynote presentation because your wife has been sending you shopping lists all day long.

pullman
Jun 7, 2011, 03:06 AM
Here in Holland I am only able to activate Automatic Downloads for Apps.

One commenter above said that "licensing issues" are likely behind this. One would have hoped that Apple's agreements with the music industry, which Steve boasted so much about yesterday, would have encompassed music bought by customers all over the globe.

This totally sucks.

/p

theloon
Jun 7, 2011, 03:26 AM
Yep it's that Microsoft feeling. More and more 'features' with less and less reliability.

Last week it was lots of fun removing the 'Anti-virus' patch and now it's time for the latest update to stop the phone from syncing.

I'm not gonna list all the other issues over the last 6 months, including the awesome Mobile Me upgrade that wiped out all the past Calendar entries.

I would not mind if I was pissing about with the Mac's and using dev software, but mine's a pretty clean install, and it seems I'm not alone with increasing problems.

QA seems to be out the window at Apple, and that is a quote from a friend working there....

:mad: FAIL

CoreForce
Jun 7, 2011, 04:17 AM
In Switzerland it's Automatic Downloads for Apps only, no Books neither Music.

iKennett
Jun 7, 2011, 04:27 AM
UK account here with the option for Apps and iBook turned on...

The BIG question for me is how does it handle app updates? Assuming that you still have to manually update them from your phone will it push the update to your other devices?

fpnc
Jun 7, 2011, 04:32 AM
I've found that by using the iCloud downloads feature I could update some of my protected music videos from QVGA (320x240) to the newer and higher quality 640x480 content. It still has DRM, but at least I was able to update to the larger sized video. In a few cases I was even able to update videos that weren't available as an iTunes Plus update.

iKennett
Jun 7, 2011, 04:47 AM
I was just about to have a little moan but figured I should test it first...

Attached to my iTunes account I have two iPhone 4's and one iPad. I like the feature but I don't want my iPad downloading apps that aren't designed for it!

It turns out that if you download a iPhone/iTouch only app it doesn't get sent to your iPad but if it does have an iPhone version it does :D Simple logic but nice to know!

brian3451
Jun 7, 2011, 06:09 AM
When I switch the auto downloads on, a second later it turns the automatic download off.

ComanWilson
Jun 7, 2011, 06:14 AM
I was able to download several albums that I lost in high school when my PC crashed. Man my taste in music was horrible!

rcp27
Jun 7, 2011, 07:05 AM
In Switzerland it's Automatic Downloads for Apps only, no Books neither Music.

Er my Swisscom iPhone is offering me iBooks as well as Apps (although the only books available on iBooks are out-of-copyright classics)

zeppiecr
Jun 7, 2011, 07:06 AM
What about subscribed podcasts will they automatically show up on my phone now?

beany boy
Jun 7, 2011, 07:06 AM
It's going to take me awhile to get a handle on all this. My level of confusion is very high here. Now I.m glad I signed up for Apple Care when I got my Iphone 4. These guys will be getting a few calls from me.

ttianshifu
Jun 7, 2011, 07:40 AM
So it is not possible at the moment as a non developer to create an icloud account to get a @me.com email address, right?

MasterHowl
Jun 7, 2011, 07:43 AM
10.3 is up now :) you have to download it manually from apple.com though!

z3r0
Jun 7, 2011, 07:46 AM
Apple just trumped Chrome OS with iCloud. Google should be freaking out right about now.

jonnysods
Jun 7, 2011, 07:49 AM
I'm excited about these updates - it's going to save a lot of headaches running around to our idevices and try to sync stuff all the time.

UngratefulNinja
Jun 7, 2011, 07:51 AM
So it is not possible at the moment as a non developer to create an icloud account to get a @me.com email address, right?

Right!

Sackvillenb
Jun 7, 2011, 08:14 AM
The purchased apps list is very useful and long overdue... but wonderif they will be improving the app store itself with ios 5? It was some glaring flaws...

Like when you press "more" to look at subsequent portions of the app list, and when you're 100 apps deep in the list and press on an app and then return to the list... it takes you back to the beginning of the list!

The navigation for the store is just plain terrible. Which is ironic, since you would think Apple would want to make navigating (and then buying) 450 000 apps an easy, simple, and enjoyable experience... and not a pain in the butt.

A better app store will make me happier... and will also increase the profits of Apple and developers...! :)

iKaushal
Jun 7, 2011, 08:35 AM
I just purchased an app in my iphone 4 running 4.3.3 with the automatic downloads for apps on.......but it didn't get auto sync with my ipad 2 running the same os with same settings.

am I missing anything here?

citizensweeps
Jun 7, 2011, 08:43 AM
When I switch the auto downloads on, a second later it turns the automatic download off.

I'm having the same problem. Are you jailbroken?

iKaushal
Jun 7, 2011, 08:58 AM
I just purchased an app in my iphone 4 running 4.3.3 with the automatic downloads for apps on.......but it didn't get auto sync with my ipad 2 running the same os with same settings.

am I missing anything here?

My bad...I just realised that only apps made for iPad and iPhone both are auto synced.

medicguy007
Jun 7, 2011, 09:01 AM
Will the iCloud sync with my desktop iCal, Contacts, and Mail or is this purely for iOS devices? In the presentation I did not see a desktop device until the iTunes portion. Any thoughts?

xforce11
Jun 7, 2011, 09:10 AM
Wifi only iPad 2 got the updates pushed automatically yesterday. iPhone 4 on Verizon not all all.

Jacquear
Jun 7, 2011, 09:38 AM
Ditto this. "Licensing issues" I'd put money on it.

Argh Great the iBook store in Australia is still **** whats the bet we won't get half of the new iCloud, iOS 5 stuff
:(

pounce
Jun 7, 2011, 09:58 AM
I'm having the same problem. Are you jailbroken?

SOLUTION:

If you cannot switch those options to on, log out of your account on that device and then log back in. You will be able to have those switches stay toggled to "ON" after that point. Nothing to do with jailbreaks or the like.

4160highvoltage
Jun 7, 2011, 10:40 AM
We verizon folk got left behind...wwaaaahhhhh.

citizensweeps
Jun 7, 2011, 10:47 AM
SOLUTION:

If you cannot switch those options to on, log out of your account on that device and then log back in. You will be able to have those switches stay toggled to "ON" after that point. Nothing to do with jailbreaks or the like.

Brilliant, why didn't I think of that? Thanks.

callme
Jun 7, 2011, 11:09 AM

"Swipe to delete songs and playlists" is coming in iOS 5.
It is listed on the overview slide which shows the new features that are coming during the keynote, upper right of the slide.

callme
Jun 7, 2011, 11:12 AM
The real question is, can you finally delete songs one by one from your phone now? Anyone with the update, can you give me a definitive answer?

"Swipe to delete songs and playlists" is coming in iOS 5.
It is listed on the overview slide which shows the new features that are coming during the keynote, upper right of the slide.

seyh
Jun 7, 2011, 12:45 PM
I have a strange problem on the Purchased list of apps in iPhone app store... It shows all the apps I purchased... but it also show a bunch of numerous crap software that I did not even check out, let alone purchase or download...

Anyone having a similar thing? I more or less know what I got myself and what I did not so I am pretty sure that list is not mine.

Purchase history on iTunes shows the proper list without the crap.

minik
Jun 7, 2011, 12:46 PM
I found it and it does not require 4.3.3. My iPhone is 4.3.2.

1. Click settings on the device
2. Click store from the list

The page refreshes and the options are there.

It works on stock 4.3.2 on both iPhone 4 and iPad 2.

longdogs
Jun 7, 2011, 12:56 PM
UK User, Vodafone, iPhone 4 and iPad, both iOS 4.3.3 jailbroken:

Although I have turned on automatic download for apps and books in iTunes, I don't seem to be able to turn it on on my iPhone or iPad : in both cases the Store option people have referred to only shows my username. I've logged out and in again, and nothing changes.

I understand that the music part isn't working in the UK at the moment, but I haven't heard that apps and books aren't.

So have any UK users got automatic downloading for apps and books working?

cheers

morespce54
Jun 7, 2011, 01:27 PM
I felt something was up yesterday when I went to the App Store to update some app and notice the "Purchased" tab that wasn't there before...

Madam Organ
Jun 7, 2011, 06:47 PM
Anyone notice the new iPod app icon on iPhone durning the keynote?
I noticed it when they were demoing how iCloud works with newly purchased music. The icon just says "music" like on the iPad

Giuly
Jun 7, 2011, 10:40 PM
Anyone notice the new iPod app icon on iPhone durning the keynote?
I noticed it when they were demoing how iCloud works with newly purchased music. The icon just says "music" like on the iPad
Maybe that can be reverted via Cydia :D

ten-oak-druid
Jun 7, 2011, 11:08 PM
Here is something I hope apple adds to the final product if they have not already. I would like the ability to upload the tags I enter or change on my songs. If I purchase some songs and I modify the genre or the year (sometimes this is wrong) then I don't want to do it again if I download a copy later onto another device or to replace lost files.

I imagine this won't be a feature at first but hopefully Apple adds it eventually.

steve knight
Jun 8, 2011, 12:54 AM
I wanted to see app updates download on their own so I don't have to go check then download them.

Nikh
Jun 8, 2011, 02:45 AM
Interesting, this feature should be included in the iOS since 4.3, but nobody discovered it.
Today discovered new tab on iPad's app store.

joemarioz
Jun 8, 2011, 12:59 PM
If you activate iCloud when you update to iOS 5 or buy a new iDevice, how do I activate it on my Mac and/or PC? does it apply to all the features of iCloud? such as.. Photo Stream, iTunes, contacts calendar and mail? Say I have an iPad and a Mac with iCloud, what happens if I buy a Macbook and want to transfer all of my music? how do I authorize the device to do so? (with iCloud)

fanspeed
Jun 8, 2011, 10:48 PM
maybe it's a generation thing. Just not comfortable having all my stuff out there in cyberspace. I know plenty of info is already out there now but I like having physical control over most of my stuff.

amethystjw
Jun 9, 2011, 03:07 PM
nope. I just tried, I deleted a song I bought in 2006 and re-downloaded it. From the cloud I got Protected AAC File, Fairplay Version 2, 128 kpbs.

Same here. I'm a little surprised and obviously disappointed by this. It's not a big deal but I'd hoped to finally have an easy way to convert my legally purchased tunes into a format that's almost as useful as my pirated tunes.

minik
Jun 9, 2011, 06:40 PM
Same here. I'm a little surprised and obviously disappointed by this. It's not a big deal but I'd hoped to finally have an easy way to convert my legally purchased tunes into a format that's almost as useful as my pirated tunes.

Wondering will the $24.99 iTunes Match service get all my Protected music files to 256k non-DRM?

seamuskrat
Jun 9, 2011, 08:04 PM
I must be missing something. My iPhone 4 this works. I download anything to my iPad or phone and it shows up. All my old stuff shows the option.

My iPad is 4.3.3 and anything new, music and books download to the phone but I do not see th elist of purchased apps inn the AppStore. That is what I really wanted. To sync my phone and 2 iPads. I can keep the phone synced but not the iPad.

What am I missing?

yellowballoon
Jun 10, 2011, 11:24 AM
Wondering will the $24.99 iTunes Match service get all my Protected music files to 256k non-DRM?

No, you first have to pay to upgrade those tracks to Itunes Plus. That has not changed.

bobsbarricades
Jun 11, 2011, 12:44 PM
No, you first have to pay to upgrade those tracks to Itunes Plus. That has not changed.
i believe that's incorrect. I mean... on the site it says

And all the music iTunes matches plays back at 256-Kbps iTunes Plus quality — even if your original copy was of lower quality.

but my original question was this - will iTunes match downloaded songs award artists royalties? I mean, if it didn't come up in the purchase history, and it's a track that was 'obtained somewhere else.'

curious because I read a blog that was talking as though artists were getting some kind of compensation for the match program but... I can't figure out how that's possible.

[edit] - answer on tunecore - "How Do TuneCore Artists Get Paid?
As long as your music is available to buy in iTunes, you get paid each time a subscriber re-downloads or streams your music via iTunes Match.

The amount TuneCore Artists get paid is based on a revenue share model similar to other stores we work with.

Each time your music is accessed via iTunes Match, TuneCore will pay you a proportionate share of the total subscription revenue generated by the iTunes Match service. This means you are paid each time a subscriber re-downloads and streams your music. The pay-out rates can fluctuate each month, depending on how much subscription revenue was generated and how often your music was re-downloaded and/or streamed. As always, TuneCore will pay out 100% of the revenue it receives for your music."

pretty awesome by my standards

lokiju
Sep 2, 2011, 07:34 AM
I have a number of songs that got uploaded with iTunes Match that are not in my iCloud account.

I can see them in iTunes and seem to only have the option to download them.

How do I just delete them out so they're not there anymore?