PDA

View Full Version : iMessage Brings Texting to iPod Touch and iPad Users

MacRumors
Jun 6, 2011, 04:38 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/06/imessage-brings-texting-to-ipod-touch-and-ipad-users/)

Apple today announced iMessage (http://www.apple.com/ios/ios5/features.html#imessage), a new messaging service for iOS 5 users called. The service promises unlimited SMS-esque messaging between iOS users on iPod touch devices, iPhones and iPads. iMessages can be text, photos, videos, locations or include contact data.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/f1307384134-500x333.jpg

(http://www.front.macrumors.com/?attachment_id=313769)

If it sounds like BBM, RIM's BlackBerry Messaging service, that's because, well, it sounds a lot like BBM actually -- and increases device lock-in as well. Users of iPads and iPod touch devices will get built-in text and picture messaging, unlimited and free, which is nice for parents who don't want to splurge on an iPhone for little Timmy, but still want him to be able to keep in touch with friends.

For iPhone users, iMessage will be built in to the standard text message window, so using it should be pretty seamless. Other features include group messaging, delivery and read receipts, typing notification and secure encryption. Of course, keeping with the sync via iCloud theme, users will be able to start a conversation on one device and finish it on another. No word yet if iMessage will be included in iChat for OS X Lion as well, but I wouldn't be surprised if it makes an appearance there as well.

Article Link: iMessage Brings Texting to iPod Touch and iPad Users (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/06/imessage-brings-texting-to-ipod-touch-and-ipad-users/)

rorschach
Jun 6, 2011, 04:43 PM
I guess you'd address messages to their Apple ID like with Facetime if you're sending to an iPad or iPod touch?

ChazUK
Jun 6, 2011, 04:57 PM
My favourite bit of news today oddly enough. Could prove useful when my phone isn't handy and I want to text the missus.

Great feature.

awadeee
Jun 6, 2011, 04:57 PM
I guess you'd address messages to their Apple ID like with Facetime if you're sending to an iPad or iPod touch?

Yep.

Apple finally got BBM. :rolleyes:

nateo200
Jun 6, 2011, 04:58 PM
Anyone think this is going to rape/abolish text messaging plans? Not like it matters since the carriers are going to get us with new data plans anyways just a thought. Everyone I know has an iPhone and if they don't they have an iPod touch or an iPad 3G.

jud.stade
Jun 6, 2011, 05:03 PM
Would it be safe to say that this will work to negate international txting fees? At least when you're on wifi?

Merthyrboy
Jun 6, 2011, 05:04 PM
Yep.

Yeah exactly what I thought when I read the announcement but can come in very handy.

Ducky21
Jun 6, 2011, 05:19 PM
i have this already on my iphone, it's called google voice.

$3 jb extension integrates it into messaging app too.

Kwill
Jun 6, 2011, 05:25 PM
iOS device saturation is vast but I doubt iMessage that would supplant Twitter or SMS.

The big news is Twitter integration. I just hope the hashtag symbol will no longer require foraging through three keyboards.

MrSingh
Jun 6, 2011, 05:29 PM
Why didn't they just make iMessage the goto messaging app for everything iOS/OSX...just like they did re: video with FaceTime??? Those who still use iChat can carry-on doing so.

As a non-iChat user it would've been excellent getting all msgs that way...with an option to freeze related iOS or OSX device notifications if I happen to be using both devices at the same time and don't want to hear and see duplicate notifications.

Sometimes Apple really surprise me as to their oversights. What they should really do? Offer even PC-users free @me.com email addresses and let them FaceTime and iMessage with all us iOS-users, via free software. What will that do? Encourage them MASSIVELY to buy an iOS device so that their messaging needs are met nice and tidily, at the desktop or when out and about.

I really don't think that having FaceTime and iMessage available on a non-Apple desktop device will reduce sales of Apple's mobile devices, for obvious reasons. Likewise those who buy a Mac buy one for many reasons - FaceTime and iMessage on Windows systems certainly won't stop them from buying a Mac.

Bertmg
Jun 6, 2011, 05:48 PM
Several of my friends have iPhones or iPads, if I can text them using messaging this instead of SMS it can save me some hard earned cash from ATT :D

aristotle
Jun 6, 2011, 05:57 PM
Yep.

*Sigh* People were ICQing and AIMing years before RIM even existed.

BBM was nothing original.

scott523
Jun 6, 2011, 06:05 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Too bad this would require users to use iOS devices, which chances of getting everyone on the boat are slim. Also, not everyone are able to offload messaging to Wi-Fi everywhere they go. Offloading messaging to 3G could be costly unless an unlimited or sufficient data plan is in place. Hopefully this can lower messaging rates that nearly costs a quarter without a messaging plan.

nateo200
Jun 6, 2011, 06:38 PM
Would it be safe to say that this will work to negate international txting fees? At least when you're on wifi?
I don't think it would distiguish the connection you were sending over unless Apple made an effort to do so which I doubt. I really do think there are no strings attached. I'm just curious how it works though in terms of your number, if you can set it so you only receive through iMessage, etc.
Why didn't they just make iMessage the goto messaging app for everything iOS/OSX...just like they did re: video with FaceTime??? Those who still use iChat can carry-on doing so.

That would be sick. Sometimes when I'm in my house I just want to grab my MacBook pro and sit down. If I could text from my MacBook pro and know my conversation would be synced with my iPhone that would be very nice. However I don't think we need to completely knock out carriers money scheme for texting yet :D

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Too bad this would require users to use iOS devices, which chances of getting everyone on the boat are slim. Also, not everyone are able to offload messaging to Wi-Fi everywhere they go. Offloading messaging to 3G could be costly unless an unlimited or sufficient data plan is in place. Hopefully this can lower messaging rates that nearly costs a quarter without a messaging plan.
All the kewl kidz use iPhonezzzz. No seriously around here if you don't have an iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad its strange....also I was thinking about what you said about offloading messaging to 3G and you have to realize text does not use allot of data though I see where it could add up. My idea would be to put an exception in for iMessage but I don't think carriers are going to have any mercy for a competing messaging standard.

HiRez
Jun 6, 2011, 06:39 PM
And here is where the lack of user accounts is going to hurt, again. If I'm at work on my iPhone, and my wife is somewhere else with the iPad, it would be nice if I could send her a message. But I can't because our iPad is tied to my account, so I'd have to send a message to myself. Yeah, I know, "buy another iPad". Well, that's complete crap. As it stands, I probably will be buying an iPad 2, but I don't want one iPad to be "mine", and one to be "hers", I just want to grab one of them at any time and have it become "mine" while I'm using it. Phones are OK to be single-user because they're generally tied to one person, and carried by one person, anyway. Desktops/laptops already have multi-user accounts. Tablets need them.

Disappointed to not hear anything on this front for iOS5 (let me know if I missed that!).

WannaGoMac
Jun 6, 2011, 06:52 PM
I don't get the appeal of these type of apps. Great, so I have to now figure out which of my friends are currently using an iOS device. Meanwhile, use SMS and I know it reaches them no matter what device they are using.

matthew12
Jun 6, 2011, 06:57 PM
Several of my friends have iPhones or iPads, if I can text them using messaging this instead of SMS it can save me some hard earned cash from ATT :D

Or you can use Textfree on a 4th Gen iPod Touch (or newer, eventually) and do phone calls and texts!

dammyonline
Jun 6, 2011, 07:13 PM
i-messaging
mmm It's pretty much got all the features of Whatsapp messaging (which is a pretty good app). The one difference...I can use whatsapp to chat with my blackberry friends...something I doubt this app will ever accommodate......oh well :D

Xenious
Jun 6, 2011, 07:25 PM
So can you set priority? The unlimited TXT plan is 20$/mo, but you're already paying for the data plan no matter what. That savings of not paying for a TXT plan would add up plus we could all show AT&T for overcharging for TXTs. Ideally it would always try data first when sending to another iOS device (wifi then 3g data) and if neither were acceptable default to SMS or MMS. Or even just let the user set a priority (wifi, SMS, 3g).

caspersoong
Jun 6, 2011, 07:32 PM
Finally. I was starting to feel left out by Apple. Now, Apple is bringing iPod touch users back into the fold.

nateo200
Jun 6, 2011, 07:35 PM
So can you set priority? The unlimited TXT plan is 20$/mo, but you're already paying for the data plan no matter what. That savings of not paying for a TXT plan would add up plus we could all show AT&T for overcharging for TXTs. Ideally it would always try data first when sending to another iOS device (wifi then 3g data) and if neither were acceptable default to SMS or MMS. Or even just let the user set a priority (wifi, SMS, 3g).

User set priority would be god like!

Jjaro
Jun 6, 2011, 08:38 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I just hope that the service will eventually be rolled into standard texting with carriers so I can text any phone from my iPad or computer. That would be cool too.

Vertigo50
Jun 6, 2011, 09:16 PM
Saying that everyone needs to get an iPhone is somewhat correct, but think of it this way:

Your friend is using another phone and paying $20 a month extra for texting.

If they switch to an iPhone, they may pay a little more for the data than their current phone, but they can get by without the extra for texting.

All of a sudden the monthly cost of an iPhone just got a little more justified.

iRobby
Jun 6, 2011, 10:02 PM
I welcome this but will still have to keep WhatsApp for my friend in Germany to get free texting to him

theBB
Jun 6, 2011, 10:19 PM
It sends SMS if no other option is available according to leaked screenshots. The friend without an iPhone can get SMS, so as the one who has turned off 3G. I doubt the data required for these messages are gonna be all that much unless you are sending large images.

rtdunham
Jun 6, 2011, 10:44 PM
...No word yet if iMessage will be included in iChat for OS X Lion as well...

Integrating the service across OSX and iOS is critical, from my POV.

gatearray
Jun 6, 2011, 11:43 PM
Too bad this would require users to use iOS devices, which chances of getting everyone on the boat are slim.

Not so slim with 150 million iOS users out there, and besides, this is akin to BB users only being able to message other BB users via BBM.

Also, not everyone are able to offload messaging to Wi-Fi everywhere they go. Offloading messaging to 3G could be costly unless an unlimited or sufficient data plan is in place. Hopefully this can lower messaging rates that nearly costs a quarter without a messaging plan.

Hmmm, let's see.

AT&T charges $10 for 1,000 text messages. They also charge $10 per gigabyte of data over 3G if you go over your plan. That gigabyte is equivalent to about 100,000 texts weighing in at 10kb each.

Still worried about overages, or are you just naysaying the future and afraid of change? :)

justinfreid
Jun 6, 2011, 11:57 PM
Check out http://google.com/voice, there's also an iOS app.
You get the functionality you want and your conversations are archived just like Gmail. The search isn't perfect, but you can get texts and calls and voicemails, for that matter, anywhere you have internet access, including overseas.

International IP, that is internet, messaging can be done in a variety of ways, of course. iMessages may just make it it easier to setup. If any 2 people on the planet each have a phone with internet access there's no reason to pay carrier fees beyond the cost of data for any communication.

That would be sick. Sometimes when I'm in my house I just want to grab my MacBook pro and sit down. If I could text from my MacBook pro and know my conversation would be synced with my iPhone that would be very nice. However I don't think we need to completely knock out carriers money scheme for texting yet :D

Ulf1103
Jun 7, 2011, 12:51 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I sure hope it will be in OS X Lion.

BC2009
Jun 7, 2011, 02:09 AM
Yep.

So when did RIM finally get ICQ or Yahoo! Messenger or AOL Instant Messenger? For heavens sake, a large majority of the population were using AIM years before BBM ever existed. Folks have been using internet instant messaging clients on iOS since push notifications came out. Apple just decided to roll their own so they could sync the context of the conversation over the cloud.

Maybe I am failing to see something, but what is so special about BBM versus these other services that pre-dated it? How did Apple copy RIM versus Apple copying AOL or Yahoo! or GTalk?

Idgit
Jun 7, 2011, 03:04 AM
Check out http://google.com/voice, there's also an iOS app.

International IP, that is internet, messaging can be done in a variety of ways, of course. iMessages may just make it it easier to setup. If any 2 people on the planet each have a phone with internet access there's no reason to pay carrier fees beyond the cost of data for any communication.

Okay, I'm in Canada. Describe how can I send and receive text messages for free over 3G and WiFi to my friends' phones? I don't want to pay $0.05/text message and $0.75/MMS message that my provider charges.

I haven't been able to find a way to do this. None of the "free" text services/apps work in Canada.

aegisdesign
Jun 7, 2011, 03:19 AM
I imagine the WhatsApp developers are feeling a bit gutted this morning. WhatsApp has the advantage of being cross-platform for now and I'll keep using it for that reason but if Apple ever release this cross platform or even just someone works out the protocol, they're toast.

RIM - already toast surely? I know more Blackberry users using WhatsApp than BBM now because they can talk to iPhone/Nokia/Android users.

It'd be nice if Apple had ONE messaging platform though - iChat, Facetime and now iMessage.

Twizz91
Jun 7, 2011, 05:58 AM
iOS device saturation is vast but I doubt iMessage that would supplant Twitter or SMS.

The big news is Twitter integration. I just hope the hashtag symbol will no longer require foraging through three keyboards.
If you watch the kenynote, you'll notice that there is a new 'twitter' keyboard like there is a keyboard for url's

Madmic23
Jun 7, 2011, 06:09 AM
So when did RIM finally get ICQ or Yahoo! Messenger or AOL Instant Messenger? For heavens sake, a large majority of the population were using AIM years before BBM ever existed. Folks have been using internet instant messaging clients on iOS since push notifications came out. Apple just decided to roll their own so they could sync the context of the conversation over the cloud.

Maybe I am failing to see something, but what is so special about BBM versus these other services that pre-dated it? How did Apple copy RIM versus Apple copying AOL or Yahoo! or GTalk?

True, RIM didn't invent instant messaging, but they were first to do it right on a phone.

BBM is more than just texting. With SMS, you reallydont know if your friend received your text, if they've read it, or if they're replying. With BBM, and now iMessage, you know thatthemessage has been received on there device, you know when it's been read, and you know when they are typing a response. Plus, you get to avoid high texting fees.

BBM is the one thing that I missed about my Blackberry when I switched, but now most of my friends have iPhones, so this will work great.

NightFox
Jun 7, 2011, 06:39 AM
Saying that everyone needs to get an iPhone is somewhat correct, but think of it this way:

Your friend is using another phone and paying $20 a month extra for texting.

If they switch to an iPhone, they may pay a little more for the data than their current phone, but they can get by without the extra for texting.

All of a sudden the monthly cost of an iPhone just got a little more justified.

But do we know for sure that you can message non-iOS devices with iMessage? I've seen some talk of it sending a free SMS to devices that don't support iMessage, but is that confirmed anywhere?

*Edit*

Looks like if the receiving device can't use iMessage then your iPhone justs sends a regular SMS that will come out of your calling plan just like any other SMS, so it's only a free alternative to SMS if all of your contacts have iOS devices.

numlock
Jun 7, 2011, 06:48 AM

i havent really used facetime but what if the devices are using the same apple id?

Blorzoga
Jun 7, 2011, 08:43 AM
i have this already on my iphone, it's called google voice.

$3 jb extension integrates it into messaging app too.

Wow, you're awesome

Blorzoga
Jun 7, 2011, 08:46 AM
But do we know for sure that you can message non-iOS devices with iMessage? I've seen some talk of it sending a free SMS to devices that don't support iMessage, but is that confirmed anywhere?

*Edit*

Looks like if the receiving device can't use iMessage then your iPhone justs sends a regular SMS that will come out of your calling plan just like any other SMS, so it's only a free alternative to SMS if all of your contacts have iOS devices.

There is an option in settings to allow the text to default to your carrier if imessage "is not available"

nburwell
Jun 7, 2011, 10:29 AM
I'm looking forward to this, and the improved notifications system the most. Especially since my girlfriend and I text each other a lot via our iPhone's. Now we can just use iMessage. Which will help me at least since I can downgrade my AT&T texting plan from unlimited to 1,000/month for $10.

justinfreid
Jun 7, 2011, 10:55 AM
Okay, I'm in Canada. Describe how can I send and receive text messages for free over 3G and WiFi to my friends' phones? I don't want to pay $0.05/text message and $0.75/MMS message that my provider charges.

I haven't been able to find a way to do this. None of the "free" text services/apps work in Canada.

Okay, thanks for asking so nicely, I thought Canadians were really polite. Try searching Google for the answer first, and contact me via PM if you can't figure it out.

Yvan256
Jun 7, 2011, 10:57 AM
Hmmm, let's see.

AT&T charges $10 for 1,000 text messages. They also charge $10 per gigabyte of data over 3G if you go over your plan. That gigabyte is equivalent to about 100,000 texts weighing in at 10kb each.

Still worried about overages, or are you just naysaying the future and afraid of change? :)

Actually, text messages are much, much smaller. As an example, your message as quoted above is roughly 320 bytes (if counting the BBCodes), twice the maximum allowed for SMS.

1000 "text" messages (SMS, 160 characters max) for 10$ = 0.01$ per message
6 250 000 "data" messages (one gigabyte diveded by 160 characters messages) for 10$ = 0.0000016$ per message

Via SMS: 1 cent equals one message.
Via data: 1 cent equals 6250 messages.

Idgit
Jun 7, 2011, 12:51 PM
Okay, thanks for asking so nicely, I thought Canadians were really polite. Try searching Google for the answer first, and contact me via PM if you can't figure it out.

Haha, no, it's a myth, spread by our government's Ministry of Information. In truth, Canadians are probably the biggest *******s on the planet.

:)

Anyway, I couldn't get any of the Google suggestions to work in Canada. Then again, maybe I suck at Google. So I'll be sending you a PM.

27iOSDev
Jun 7, 2011, 01:41 PM
Anyone care to speculate if/when Apple will open API's for developer integration to iMessage?

mnemonix
Jun 7, 2011, 02:43 PM
So this works even if I don't have wi-fi, like regular sms?

Maybe I'm missing something, but how is Apple managing to give away for free a service (texting) that is being provided by the carriers for a price? :confused:

Yvan256
Jun 7, 2011, 02:51 PM
So this works even if I don't have wi-fi, like regular sms?

Maybe I'm missing something, but how is Apple managing to give away for free a service (texting) that is being provided by the carriers for a price? :confused:

Because the carriers are selling you something that costs nearly nothing at a markup of over 1000000%.

See reply #41 for the difference between SMS and data, both with costs from the same carrier.

mnemonix
Jun 7, 2011, 02:57 PM
I get that texts are cheap, I guess it's the way the message was presented that confused me:

It's not so much a new messaging app for iOS5 we're talking about here; the real news is the fact that Apple has presumably inked a deal with every phone carrier around the world for free text messages between iOS devices.

Yvan256
Jun 7, 2011, 03:39 PM
I get that texts are cheap, I guess it's the way the message was presented that confused me:

It's not so much a new messaging app for iOS5 we're talking about here; the real news is the fact that Apple has presumably inked a deal with every phone carrier around the world for free text messages between iOS devices.

In this context, "text message" is not equal to "SMS".

iMessage is not SMS, it's regular data. The carriers don't have anything to say about it. Apart from using up your monthly data cap unless you use a free Wi-Fi connection, the carriers don't get a cut when you send an email, when you browse the Web or when you use FaceTime. They also won't get anything when you use iMessage.

radiogoober
Jun 7, 2011, 05:03 PM
I don't get the appeal of these type of apps. Great, so I have to now figure out which of my friends are currently using an iOS device. Meanwhile, use SMS and I know it reaches them no matter what device they are using.

iMessage is for iPad and iPod. iMessage replaces Messages on the iPhone. Your iPhone will automatically send an iMessage if you are texting another iOS user. It puts a little blue bubble next to their name in the contacts list and lets you know you are using an iMessage.

It's pretty dang neat. I've been playing around with it on both iPhone and iPad.

Justinb51
Jun 7, 2011, 05:48 PM
i have a 2 ipads 2 iphones (wife's and mine) and a ipod touch. all on the same apple id!!!

Does this mean that all of our conversations will be the same on all devices? So will my conversations show up on my wifes phone, as well as the other devices. does anyone know if there is a way not to sync this between all the devices. i dont care to switch from my iphone to my ipad to finish the conversation. i would like it to let me text my kids from my iphone to one of my ipads.

This is a great idea in theory, but with people with multiple devices with different users all on the same id, this is gonna be crap.

elizabethjane
Jun 7, 2011, 06:26 PM
so basically, free messaging between iOS 5 users even internationally?

jtara
Jun 7, 2011, 07:52 PM
I don't see this going very far unless Apple makes this an open standard. This is one of those technologies that needs to be universal to be a success. I think this is one of the reasons why Facetime really hasn't taken off. The huge advantage that SMS has is that everybody has it. Sure, Apple is doing a bit of mitigation by transparently routing whichever way works, but if they want to take over the messaging space, they need to open it up.

I think Mark Zuckerberg has been doing some sword-rattling about IM replacing email. But the public seems to have largely abandoned IM. There are too many providers and applications too many of which only partially implement standards, it's too techy for most people to set up, presence and delivery are often unreliable. But I agree there needs to be a new universal infrastructure, and it needs to encompass the current use cases for email, IM, chat rooms (remember those?) and SMS.

I'm reluctantly launching a service and app in an unaddressed niche of this space. Reluctantly, because I realize that my solution isn't going to be universal (though I'm planning iOS and Android apps as well as web access). But I'm going to keep a watch for any universal standard that emerges and adapt as necessary.

KylePowers
Jun 8, 2011, 12:14 AM
While I can see it'd be useful to know if someone has read your message or if they're currently typing one (those are the only technological advances, correct?), I really don't think it's that big of a deal.

I don't think I've ever had the dire need to know if someone's read my text (or at least, not frequently). Typically a response allows me to assume they've read my text (most polite people tend to respond from my experience). And knowing if someone's in the midst of replying? I mean, yeah, I thought that was a great advantage on AIM 4 years ago, but conversations on a computer tend to go much more quickly than texting on a phone. I don't think society is yet to the point where interrupting someone with a text while they're replying to your last one warrants some sort of negative societal judgement. It's not like being in public with someone and consistently interrupting them while they speak to you or another person, ya' know?

I am however delighted about the fact I can use my iPad to text people. Though, it seems as if it only supports iMessages, and not the general Messages app... so this is a moot point for me, seeing as how the top 3 people I text (girlfriend, and two best friends) all have phones that lack the little Apple symbol.

My mom has an iPhone... so I guess I could delightfully text her for free? Despite us being on the same family plan and AT&T-to-AT&T text messages already being free (aren't they? I know Verizon does that).

What I wanted to see most from an upgrade to the Messages app was a quick reply option similar to BiteSMS. I don't believe I saw anything like this, so this probably upsets me the most, as it's definitely the number one thing I use on my iPhone. It's such a hassle to switch apps just to spend 3 seconds replying to a text. Anyone else feel the same way?

lars666
Jun 8, 2011, 09:29 AM
Two quick questions to all the iOS 5 beta testers out there:

1. Does iMessage on the iPod Touch/iPad allow to choose any email address you want as "contact/delivery address" (like Facetime) or are you stuck to the email address which is your Apple ID?

2. Once you've signed in/verified for "iMessage" with your Apple ID, can you change to another account e.g. on the App/Music Store on your iPod Touch/iPad without being "logged out" for iMessages? I guess these two things don't get in each others way, do they? (no problem with Facetime, too)

Thanks a lot in advance for your info!!

EDIT: Already answered in another thread. Seems like everything work fine with other email addresses.

03jcrhr
Jun 8, 2011, 09:41 AM
Hi

This is my first post so go easy on me

My main concern about iMessage is texting people who have iPod touches and iPads. If the phone can recognise these devices as being registered to someone on you contact list who has a non iOS phone surely it will send the message to the iOS device rather than the phone. I can see this leading to many cases of people waiting for text replies on their phone that never come as they do not check their iPad/iPod for texts??

I hope I made that clear

justinfreid
Jun 8, 2011, 01:36 PM
Haha, no, it's a myth, spread by our government's Ministry of Information. In truth, Canadians are probably the biggest *******s on the planet.

:)

Anyway, I couldn't get any of the Google suggestions to work in Canada. Then again, maybe I suck at Google. So I'll be sending you a PM.

No problem.
Canadians are more like eh-holes I think.

jtara
Jun 8, 2011, 02:16 PM
I don't see this going very far unless Apple makes this an open standard.

Aha. Turns out they are using an open standard. (XMPP PubSub). (Same one I'm planning on using.) Apparently they already use this for notifications, iChat, and FaceTime.

So, if they do make it a closed universe, it's only because they've done so administratively.

They certainly haven't emphasized that they are using an open standard under the hood. In fact, they seem to have quite consciously tried to lead the public to believe the opposite.

"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

(I'm a registered iOS developer. I haven't downloaded iOS 5, the development tools, or looked at any of the documentation covered by NDA yet. So, my information is based on blogs I've come across that have discussed the technology is some detail. Had to get that disclaimer out...)

Mr Bigs
Jun 8, 2011, 07:50 PM
Apple keeps missing the mark as far as what I want. I would like to get texts & phone calls on my iPad when the iPhone is charging and be able to reply to all. The HP TouchPad is the only pad that has this feature.:mad:

vmstech24
Jun 8, 2011, 09:45 PM
I am really looking forward to this; where I work this will be an invaluable tool for all the iOS devices that is far superior to the email system that we currently use.

mconk
Jun 8, 2011, 10:30 PM
Actually, iOS does this for you...when sending an SMS it automatically checks to see if the recipient is running iOS 5. If they are, the SMS turns into an iMessage automatically. Pretty clever...you won't have to bother asking for friends Apple ID's.

mconk
Jun 8, 2011, 10:37 PM
Right, you've never had the *need*...neither did I when o bought my BlackBerry and starting using BBM frequently. You don't always NEED to now, but it certainly comes in handy at times, and on the same hand is nice to have delivery confirmation. The bigger picture here, is the character limit: none. Along with the ability to integrate your MMS/txts, location info, across multiple devices, all in one window...instantly...very convenient. If you done like this feature, disable it...however, like most things that people judge before seeing or using, I can almost guarantee you'll find it useful, after trying hands on. It really just simplifies the conversation, drastically.

While I can see it'd be useful to know if someone has read your message or if they're currently typing one (those are the only technological advances, correct?), I really don't think it's that big of a deal.

I don't think I've ever had the dire need to know if someone's read my text (or at least, not frequently). Typically a response allows me to assume they've read my text (most polite people tend to respond from my experience). And knowing if someone's in the midst of replying? I mean, yeah, I thought that was a great advantage on AIM 4 years ago, but conversations on a computer tend to go much more quickly than texting on a phone. I don't think society is yet to the point where interrupting someone with a text while they're replying to your last one warrants some sort of negative societal judgement. It's not like being in public with someone and consistently interrupting them while they speak to you or another person, ya' know?

I am however delighted about the fact I can use my iPad to text people. Though, it seems as if it only supports iMessages, and not the general Messages app... so this is a moot point for me, seeing as how the top 3 people I text (girlfriend, and two best friends) all have phones that lack the little Apple symbol.

My mom has an iPhone... so I guess I could delightfully text her for free? Despite us being on the same family plan and AT&T-to-AT&T text messages already being free (aren't they? I know Verizon does that).

What I wanted to see most from an upgrade to the Messages app was a quick reply option similar to BiteSMS. I don't believe I saw anything like this, so this probably upsets me the most, as it's definitely the number one thing I use on my iPhone. It's such a hassle to switch apps just to spend 3 seconds replying to a text. Anyone else feel the same way?

Jjaro
Sep 23, 2011, 08:40 PM
[QUOTE=Yvan256;12704938]Actually, text messages are much, much smaller. As an example, your message as quoted above is roughly 320 bytes (if counting the BBCodes), twice the maximum allowed for SMS.

1000 "text" messages (SMS, 160 characters max) for 10$ = 0.01$ per message
6 250 000 "data" messages (one gigabyte diveded by 160 characters messages) for 10$ = 0.0000016$ per message

Via SMS: 1 cent equals one message.
Via data: 1 cent equals 6250 messages.[/QUOTE/]

Daaaaaamn! I had no idea. Well I guess I'm not surprised by this, lol. These companies are businesses after all.

Bariwasmypart
Sep 27, 2011, 09:10 AM
My only question remains when I get a text message on say my iphone is it automatically forwarder to my Ipad and Ipod Touch because if so three alerts for one text message would be highly excessive. Though the old I didn't get your text trick would be very hard to side step:p

ballpark1313
Oct 4, 2011, 04:32 PM
So does anyone know how this is going to work with multiple people using the same apple id?

Myself, my wife, and my son all use the same apple id. Will we each be able to have our own imessage or will it all be on one. Does it work similar to FaceTime?

DarthRandom
Oct 6, 2011, 12:38 AM
So does anyone know how this is going to work with multiple people using the same apple id?

Myself, my wife, and my son all use the same apple id. Will we each be able to have our own imessage or will it all be on one. Does it work similar to FaceTime?I would like to know as well, I hope we can use a different email to sync with iCloud and iMessage

toolbox
Oct 6, 2011, 01:05 AM
I welcome this but will still have to keep WhatsApp for my friend in Germany to get free texting to him

Yes! Exactly what i use Whats app for

urbanj
Oct 6, 2011, 01:52 AM

Myself, my wife, and my son all use the same apple id. Will we each be able to have our own imessage or will it all be on one. Does it work similar to FaceTime?

I would like to know as well, I hope we can use a different email to sync with iCloud and iMessage

I haven't tried but when you go under the messages settings you can click "receive at" and then add another email. All this is done under the same apple ID. So I'd assume you can load it up on different devices and then have each person enter their own "receive at" email. I could be wrong though :o