PDA

View Full Version : iOS 5 Beta Available for Devs, First Hands On, and Gallery

Pages : [1] 2 3

MacRumors
Jun 6, 2011, 05:24 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/06/ios-5-beta-available-for-devs-first-hands-on-and-gallery/)

[center]http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/4ded50c31c652110606221219-500x749.jpg

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/4ded50eab1714110606221258-500x749.jpg

• Preference to open pages in Safari in a new page or in background (amazing!).
• More alert choices for emails, calendar, and the ability to buy more.
• Ability to create keyboard shortcuts (autotext) to replace custom phrases. The default entry is “omw” which is replaced with, “On my way!”
• Software update option in settings to check for the latest OS.
• Sync now button to wireless sync to iTunes
&bull; Ability to customize how notifications in Notification Center look — you can customize how many recent ones to show, 1, 5 or 10, if it’s showed in the lock screen, if it’s in Notification Center, and also the alert style, banner or alert style.</blockquote>iOS 5 is due for general release in the fall.

Article Link: iOS 5 Beta Available for Devs, First Hands On, and Gallery (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/06/ios-5-beta-available-for-devs-first-hands-on-and-gallery/)

Meriana
Jun 6, 2011, 05:27 PM
Lion DP4 is avaible as well.

Dimwhit
I'm really curious how this is going to work with multiple users using the same Apple ID and iCloud account.

LastLine
Just downloaded, does anyone know if I can do an update instead of restore? Sure I've done so with past Betas but can't think how...

Branskins
Jun 6, 2011, 05:28 PM
Sounds amazing!

arcite
Jun 6, 2011, 05:28 PM
The future is here! Ubiquitous computing, forever storage, infinite backups!

jasonxneo
Jun 6, 2011, 05:29 PM
wow niceeee

Apple Expert
Jun 6, 2011, 05:30 PM
I'm really curious how this is going to work with multiple users using the same Apple ID and iCloud account.

Me to. My wife and I use the same Apple ID.

BLACKFRIDAY
Jun 6, 2011, 05:31 PM

It's free. Get a different Apple ID. :)

****: What about the Apps and the music? Oops...

kultschar
Hmm I hope the next page of iCloud setup lets you choose what you want to sync

e.g. I would like to sync my contacts and emails etc but not pics, music to the iCloud.

Anybody confirm??

They could of chose better text for the reminders app icon, more business like instead of bread :D

Overall im impressed by what I have seen today, a huge catchup and any future improvements in the future will be awesome as I think they have nailed most here

wozwebs
Has the 'ipod' icon been changed to 'Music' then like on the iPod touch?

algiris
Lion DP4 is avaible as well.

Through SU on DP3 or just MAS?

InuNacho
Jun 6, 2011, 05:32 PM
Sounds like a pretty good way to sell more apps if space is no longer a problem.

outphase

You could always just use separate Apple IDs for stuff like this. Same with stuff like Game Center.

pmz
I bet intelliscreen and lockinfo devs are sighing and saying well, it was a nice run.

kultschar
Can you FINALLY attach a picture within the Mail app to an email???

This was only possible to do via the photo film roll (totally backwards)

excalibur313
Jun 6, 2011, 05:33 PM
It was warning in the download section that once you update you are stuck with it on that phone/ipad until the final version of ios 5 comes out. Is this actually true or can you downgrade if you saved your SHSH blobs?

Mlrollin91
Does this mean that beta updates will also be delta updates through iOS5 directly? If so that would be nice for developers, make it very easy every 2 weeks for them.

Singin Hobo
I've got Xcode... quick, what do I do now?

kultschar
Jun 6, 2011, 05:34 PM
Can you FINALLY attach a picture within the Mail app to an email???

This was only possible to do via the photo film roll (totally backwards)

In fact can you now attach anything from within the mail app e.g. docs, pics instead of the photo / pages app

Phil A.
It was warning in the download section that once you update you are stuck with it on that phone/ipad until the final version of ios 5 comes out. Is this actually true or can you downgrade if you saved your SHSH blobs?
Saving your SHSH blobs won't help - Apple always give this warning on Betas and it's normally around the Baseband update that can't be downgraded. I remember some betas could be downgraded by jumping through hoops, but it's best to assume they can't be...

Just downloaded, does anyone know if I can do an update instead of restore? Sure I've done so with past Betas but can't think how...

No, you'll get a 3002 error if you try to do an update. Best thing is a restore then restore from backup

OSMac
Is the landscape screenshot bug, saving in the wrong orientation, fixed ?

Or can you edit/rotate in the photo app and save over the original?

cmaier
You could always just use separate Apple IDs for stuff like this. Same with stuff like Game Center.

No you can't, at least not if you want to share iTunes purchases (or share an "itunes match" yearly purchase).

Dr Kevorkian94
Jun 6, 2011, 05:36 PM
i cant just update it gives me error 3002 so i guess i must restore

Meriana
Jun 6, 2011, 05:38 PM
Through SU on DP3 or just MAS?

MacAppStore

I think Apple is doing one final test on the distributing process.

jyan2
Jun 6, 2011, 05:38 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm just going to take a guess, but I think Apple is holding out on the release because they want to release both iOS 5 and a new iPhone at about the same time. Of course, along with iCloud too. Mind as well make a nice, seamless transition into it all, the whole package. :-)

kultschar
Jun 6, 2011, 05:39 PM
No you can't, at least not if you want to share iTunes purchases (or share an "itunes match" yearly purchase).

Crap, I have a UK and US iTunes account, guess this is where im gonna have probs

KALLT
Jun 6, 2011, 05:41 PM
Is there a way to disable Newsstand or other default apps (e.g., Stocks)? And is there finally an option to customise message and mail tones?

bushido
Jun 6, 2011, 05:41 PM
ew whats with the Music icon, last time i checked tv shows movies and music videos werent music

CrazyRussian540
Jun 6, 2011, 05:43 PM
Question to someone who has access to iOS5 beta.

Can you disable all that twitter integration? I don't use twitter, I see no need to use twitter, and I won't use twitter. I really down want all those twit buttons cluttering all my screens.

excalibur313
Jun 6, 2011, 05:44 PM
Saving your SHSH blobs won't help - Apple always give this warning on Betas and it's normally around the Baseband update that can't be downgraded. I remember some betas could be downgraded by jumping through hoops, but it's best to assume they can't be...

Good call! I totally forgot about the baseband update. Thanks!

NightFox
Jun 6, 2011, 05:46 PM
Still downloading (10mins left) but just noticed that the iTunes 10.5 beta says it is required to activate iOS5 on dev devices. Anyone know if that's correct, or can I install iOS5 beta from iTunes 10.2.2?

j-a-x
Jun 6, 2011, 05:48 PM
Good call! I totally forgot about the baseband update. Thanks!

But even with the baseband update with previous iOS betas it was possible to downgrade the OS just not the baseband, which I think is only a problem if you want to unlock the baseband. Can anybody confirm?

Phil A.
Jun 6, 2011, 05:48 PM
Still downloading (10mins left) but just noticed that the iTunes 10.5 beta says it is required to activate iOS5 on dev devices. Anyone know if that's correct, or can I install iOS5 beta from iTunes 10.2.2?

I think it's safe to assume that Apple specify 10.5 beta for a reason and it won't work with any other version...

tigres
Jun 6, 2011, 05:49 PM

You need 10.5

kirbyrun
I know RTF was added to Mail - any chance this is systemwide now?

MacMan86
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm just going to take a guess, but I think Apple is holding out on the release because they want to release both iOS 5 and a new iPhone at about the same time. Of course, along with iCloud too. Mind as well make a nice, seamless transition into it all, the whole package. :-)

Apple always 'hold out' on release because developers have to have access to it first to get their apps ready for the new OS. It's followed the same announcement -> wait -> release cycle since the beginning

PlutoPrime
Jun 6, 2011, 05:51 PM

Then it seems you're not much of an Expert after all :)

Tonewheel
Jun 6, 2011, 05:51 PM
Logged in to the iOS dev page. 5.0 isn't there....

Phil A.
Jun 6, 2011, 05:52 PM
Logged in to the iOS dev page. 5.0 isn't there....
It's under 4.3 beta for some reason!

NightFox
Jun 6, 2011, 05:52 PM
I think it's safe to assume that Apple specify 10.5 beta for a reason and it won't work with any other version...

Agree it's fairly obvious, I'm just surprised that I hadn't seen anyone mention a new iTunes beta at all. Guess there's more interesting stuff to talk about!

chowmein
Jun 6, 2011, 05:53 PM
iTunes 10.5 is 64-bit!

whoami
Jun 6, 2011, 05:53 PM

same here! and it's about time they increased the 5 device limit too!

RalfTheDog
Jun 6, 2011, 05:54 PM
iTunes 10.5 is 64-bit!

Sounds like a total rewrite.

irwcll94
Jun 6, 2011, 05:54 PM
Installing now... Can't wait!

Phil A.
Jun 6, 2011, 05:56 PM
iTunes 10.5 is 64-bit!

Still showing as non 64-bit on my machine :confused:

milo
Jun 6, 2011, 05:57 PM
iTunes 10.5 is 64-bit!

Honestly, that's way more exciting to me than any of the other news about iTunes. But they need to get their act together on the beta release, they have links up for the beta but they just lead to the old version, and they all refer to the beta as 10.3 instead of 10.5.

Can anyone provide a working link to the new iTunes?

tigres
iTunes 10.5 is 64-bit!

My helper shows 64bit, but iTunes is not listed as 64bit

ADD: Nice new splash iPad screen on LockScreen

Abyssgh0st
Will someone who has it installed give as status update or maybe post a YT video? I have a friend with a developer account and not sure if I want to have my UDID added onto the account to check it out. I know it's for 'developers' but I have used the system in the past and I'm familiar with it.

eastercat
Jun 6, 2011, 05:59 PM
The on/off buttons are fugly. I don't know why Apple thought the oval was more attractive.

Phil A.
Honestly, that's way more exciting to me than any of the other news about iTunes. But they need to get their act together on the beta release, they have links up for the beta but they just lead to the old version, and they all refer to the beta as 10.3 instead of 10.5.

Can anyone provide a working link to the new iTunes?

The public beta is 10.3, the 10.5 beta is for registered developers only and is needed to activate iOS 5

Goaliegeek
Able to cancel a sending txt message?

e-coli

The last time they released a cloud service and a new iPhone at the same time it was an unmitigated disaster. I don't think they're eager to repeat the most embarrassing moment in Apple history.

RRmalvado
Can someone who has the beta test the "accessory connected" message that locks the iPod.app?

Thanks in advance.

milo
Jun 6, 2011, 06:01 PM
The public beta is 10.3, the 10.5 beta is for registered developers only and is needed to activate iOS 5

Thanks for the clarification. Apple still needs to get their act together and fix the link for the public release - anyone able to get it yet?

RalfTheDog
Jun 6, 2011, 06:02 PM
RE: all the people who are not developers who want to upgrade to the beta,

There is a reason they call it a beta. There will be bugs. it will crash some of your current applications and it will probably make you want to take your phone to the skeet range. If you are going to update your iPhone, don't update the one you use every day. Updates are for testing and development iPhones.

At a minimum, wait for the second or third update.

spazzcat
The last time they released a cloud service and a new iPhone at the same time it was an unmitigated disaster. I don't think they're eager to repeat the most embarrassing moment in Apple history.

Guessing they will slowly roll out parts of iCloud

eliehass
I'm wondering if anything is severely broken, or if it's safe to install.

EricBrian
Jun 6, 2011, 06:03 PM
Redacted!~ :0

Carlanga
I'm still waiting on the ability to delete apple apps from the device. :rolleyes:

tablo13
"Milk eggs bread"... What a horrible icon.

AlphaDogg
Jun 6, 2011, 06:04 PM
I have a developer friend who gave me access to his iConnect.apple account. I need to get my phone replaced under warranty before I can register it, as the power button is broken. With my replacement iPhone, can I jailbreak 4.3.3, save SHSH blobs, go to iOS 5, and if I don't like it, use TU to do the SHSH server thing, and go back to 4.3.3?

Dr Kevorkian94
Jun 6, 2011, 06:04 PM
As soon as the restore was finished the apple boot logo is/was animated and it was amazing

Scott90
Jun 6, 2011, 06:06 PM
Question to someone who has access to iOS5 beta.

Can you disable all that twitter integration? I don't use twitter, I see no need to use twitter, and I won't use twitter. I really down want all those twit buttons cluttering all my screens.

Yep, if Twitter isn't enabled (or rather: downloaded), you won't get the buttons all over the place.

AlphaDogg
Jun 6, 2011, 06:07 PM
RE: all the people who are not developers who want to upgrade to the beta,

There is a reason they call it a beta. There will be bugs. it will crash some of your current applications and it will probably make you want to take your phone to the skeet range. If you are going to update your iPhone, don't update the one you use every day. Updates are for testing and development iPhones.

At a minimum, wait for the second or third update.

This is what I was told about Lion. I still updated to Lion, and I have loved every minute of it (except for Skype not working, Chrome always crashing, and flash getting screwed up).

iFrankie
Jun 6, 2011, 06:10 PM
Ability to create keyboard shortcuts (autotext) to replace custom phrases.

Yay! So awesome to get this feature.

mnhcky911
Jun 6, 2011, 06:10 PM
And so dies Mobile Me.

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/

tomccabe
Jun 6, 2011, 06:11 PM
This is what I was told about Lion. I still updated to Lion, and I have loved every minute of it (except for Skype not working, Chrome always crashing, and flash getting screwed up).

+1. Betas are for anyone who can handle dealing with bugs.

JayDH
Jun 6, 2011, 06:12 PM
I'm not a developer, but am considering installing the beta because I just can't wait until Fall for some non-annoying notifications. A couple questions:

1. Is this a terrible idea?

2. To someone with the beta installed, will I still be able to use my MobileMe account for mail, syncing, etc. or has this been stripped because MobileMe is being replaced?

Many thanks!

huss8585
Jun 6, 2011, 06:15 PM
you can also print stuff to non-airprint printers!! best os EVER

addicted44
Jun 6, 2011, 06:15 PM
Guessing they will slowly roll out parts of iCloud

Is an iCloud Beta available to devs?

irwcll94
Jun 6, 2011, 06:18 PM
I'm not a developer, but am considering installing the beta because I just can't wait until Fall for some non-annoying notifications. A couple questions:

1. Is this a terrible idea?

2. To someone with the beta installed, will I still be able to use my MobileMe account for mail, syncing, etc. or has this been stripped because MobileMe is being replaced?

Many thanks!

1. You can expect a few bugs... If you are okay with that, you should be fine. However, I did have one time a year or two ago that when I installed the beta, it bricked my phone until the public version came out. I would only do it if you have a backup available

2. You can still use mobile me

irwcll94
Jun 6, 2011, 06:18 PM

Yep :cool:

NightFox
Jun 6, 2011, 06:19 PM
Ughhh - that Windows 95-style grey linen effect background is spreading further through iOS with every upgrade... :(

thadoggfather
Jun 6, 2011, 06:19 PM
If I use this with my iPad 2 wifi version can I go back to iOS 4 in case I don't like it?

There's no baseband as far as I know on iPad 2.

7o7munoz7o7
Jun 6, 2011, 06:20 PM
Sooooo does this update the CDMA iPhone 4 as well?

addicted44
Jun 6, 2011, 06:21 PM

This, along with the keyboard shortcuts would have been Presented Features #1 and #2 in any other keynote.

I am really liking iCloud. If the rumors of Time Capsule being able to serve as a host to all your data are also true, then it will be fantastic. I would much rather host my data on my own server.

irwcll94
Jun 6, 2011, 06:21 PM
OH MY GOSH!!!! When you turn the phone on, the Apple logo animates :D It looks SO cool!

gstylez
Jun 6, 2011, 06:22 PM
Hmm I hope the next page of iCloud setup lets you choose what you want to sync

e.g. I would like to sync my contacts and emails etc but not pics, music to the iCloud.

Anybody confirm??

They could of chose better text for the reminders app icon, more business like instead of bread :D

Overall im impressed by what I have seen today, a huge catchup and any future improvements in the future will be awesome as I think they have nailed most here

I'm excited about iCloud and the new OS's but hoping that in the future you can specify what data per App you would like to sync with each device. For example on my iPhone I want all my contacts (family, work, clients, etc..) but maybe I only want family contacts on my iPad and on my Mac I can have all my contacts. The same with Photos... I only want certain photos from my iPhone to sync not ALL.
:apple:

Ashin
Jun 6, 2011, 06:22 PM
All I care about is -

How fast is it, smooth animations etc
Battery life, is it worse or better than iOS4?

NightFox
Jun 6, 2011, 06:24 PM

I was wondering the same. Got to be, surely? I can't see how we can test if the cloud environment isn't available to us.

Dr Kevorkian94
When u sync there is circle arrows in the bar up top. after I resrored from my backup for some reason it says set up STILL and has the iPhone wallpaper, plus it is taking forever to put apps on uhhh

Dias
Is the new Lion beta available for everybody with Lion installed? I keep pressing Software Update but it keeps saying it's up to date... :confused:

CrazyRussian540
Jun 6, 2011, 06:25 PM
Yep, if Twitter isn't enabled (or rather: downloaded), you won't get the buttons all over the place.

Wooo!

Thank you!

MalcolmJID
Jun 6, 2011, 06:25 PM
Has anyone got this installed on a 3GS?

I really, really want to know if this is going to be a iOS4 on 3G type affair or if the 3GS really can handle the notifications etc!

FranksWildYears
Jun 6, 2011, 06:26 PM
I'm not fussed about bugs in iOS 5, but before I update I must ask the following....

Will I be able to keep my app data given that it requires a full install? I mean, can I make a backup of my current device before I do so, install iOS 5 and then restore to retain the data?

irwcll94
Jun 6, 2011, 06:29 PM
Will someone who has it installed give as status update or maybe post a YT video? I have a friend with a developer account and not sure if I want to have my UDID added onto the account to check it out. I know it's for 'developers' but I have used the system in the past and I'm familiar with it.

Can't... Under an NDA

Dr Kevorkian94
I'm not fussed about bugs in iOS 5, but before I update I must ask the following....

Will I be able to keep my app data given that it requires a full install? I mean, can I make a backup of my current device before I do so, install iOS 5 and then restore to retain the data?

Yes it's just like a regular restore, back up restore then restore from backup. You will have ur app data and when u sync everything will be in the same place u left it

budfoot
Good to see that they finally came out with a new, innovative, fresh UI and got rid of that grid crap....^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H

WOOO, notifications like droids!

FranksWildYears
Jun 6, 2011, 06:30 PM
Yes it's just like a regular restore, back up restore then restore from backup. You will have ur app data and when u sync everything will be in the same place u left it

Great stuff, thanks. I look forward to playing around with it tomorrow.

delonh92
Jun 6, 2011, 06:31 PM
Can someone confirm iOS 5 can only be activated on 10.5 only

foobarbaz
Jun 6, 2011, 06:36 PM
OMG. Umlauts keys on the German keyboard.
After all those years...

Plus, no more checkered screen on Safari on my first-gen iPad.

Dr Kevorkian94
Jun 6, 2011, 06:37 PM
Question, I've been downloading the new updates and once I have them I can't keep track of if they are cmda or gsm, will iTunes reject the update if it's wrong. I'm assuming it would but I don't want to mess my iPads up. And for some reason I'm looking in iTunes while my iPhone is syncing and for some reason there is a videos app like on an iPod touch?!??

Bluethree

Is this via a shared printer on a MAC or PC or simply direct to any printer ?

jwillpresents
So they're giving videos it's own app?

Frisco
Apple invented the Cloud!

bartonlynch
Jun 6, 2011, 06:39 PM
What does opening a safari tab in the background mean? I don't understand that part at all
PS I wish i were a developer so I could have iOS 5 :''''''(

Dr Kevorkian94
Jun 6, 2011, 06:39 PM

I noticed this too WTF!?

spazzcat
Jun 6, 2011, 06:40 PM
Apple invented the Cloud!

No, but they seemed to have made it better, can't wait to move everything off of dropbox...

ssdeg7
Jun 6, 2011, 06:41 PM
I noticed this too WTF!?

Can you explain yourself and post some screenshots? So now the Photos app is only for Photos? :S

kdog0126
Jun 6, 2011, 06:43 PM
I see a lot of mention of installs on the iPhone, can it be installed on the iPad?

nora47
Jun 6, 2011, 06:44 PM
anybody install this on original ipad yet? I dont want to be stuck with a buggy beta on my iphone4 so would rather try it out on my ipad, anybody done it yet got opinion on how it is running on first generation ipad?

twoodcc
Jun 6, 2011, 06:46 PM
looks good! can't wait!

Aduntu
Jun 6, 2011, 06:46 PM
anybody install this on original ipad yet? I dont want to be stuck with a buggy beta on my iphone4 so would rather try it out on my ipad, anybody done it yet got opinion on how it is running on first generation ipad?

I'm about to install on the first gen iPad now. I'll report back.

dtmiller
Jun 6, 2011, 06:47 PM
Has the 'ipod' icon been changed to 'Music' then like on the iPod touch?

Yes!

MythicFrost
Jun 6, 2011, 06:49 PM
The Apple developer site is down (for me, at least), how is everyone else getting the seeds? I'm after the one for the iPad, iPhone, and Mac OS X also.

dlewis23
Umm, Did iOS 5 kill anyone else's iPad 2? I was using it, put it down had some dinner. Came back and I can't get the thing to turn on.

Dr Kevorkian94
Can you explain yourself and post some screenshots? So now the Photos app is only for Photos? :S

i cant yet but i can confirm that the music and movies are separate no more iPod app

javaGuru
Jun 6, 2011, 06:50 PM
Has anyone installed this yet? I'm curious how stable it is. I want to try it but I'm going out of town first thing tomorrow morning. I really don't want to get stuck out of town with an iPhone that doesn't work well at all. :)

lewy
The Apple developer site is down (for me, at least), how is everyone else getting the seeds? I'm after the one for the iPad, iPhone, and Mac OS X also.
Same here. Looking for help.

thefourthpope
I'm excited about iCloud and the new OS's but hoping that in the future you can specify what data per App you would like to sync with each device. For example on my iPhone I want all my contacts (family, work, clients, etc..) but maybe I only want family contacts on my iPad and on my Mac I can have all my contacts. The same with Photos... I only want certain photos from my iPhone to sync not ALL.

Agreed. And I'd also appreciate an upstream/downstream option. I've purchased music on my iPad b/c it's what I had accessible at the time, but I don't keep music on it. I'd like my iPhone to get music I purchase on my iPad but not vice versa.

miamialley

You must not have an iPad. It's been that way for a while.

mikeoc
Jun 6, 2011, 06:51 PM
Anyone know if you can finally do a mark all as read yet?

That'd be really useful and something I've been waiting for for ages.

Chad H
Anybody else having trouble getting their activation e-mail? I signed up about 2 hours ago and still haven't gotten mine. I can't download the beta until its finished activating.

bartonlynch
OH MY GOSH!!!! When you turn the phone on, the Apple logo animates :D It looks SO cool!

I want to seeeeeeee ittttt someone post a video or something!!! :D

zorinlynx
Jun 6, 2011, 06:52 PM

I still kind of boggle that people share logins like this. It would drive me nuts!

It's not like an extra login costs anything more, and you can keep your stuff and hers separate. And you can share apps too by authorizing each other's iTunes.

huss8585
Jun 6, 2011, 06:53 PM

Works very well. (wifi + 3g)

Tonewheel
Jun 6, 2011, 06:54 PM
Downloaded and installed iTunes 10.5 from the dev site.

Installed iOS 5 and phone is now syncing music, etc.
My limited observations before actually using the phone are that the music is syncing much faster than with iOS 4.3....think original ipods on firewire instead of USB speed. And the big SYNCING no longer displays on the phone. As another poster mentioned, there's simply a small spinning wheel at the top of the screen (identical to the shutdown wheel.)

More to come....

archdelux
Jun 6, 2011, 06:54 PM
i think i had to register as a developer to install the multitouch gestures on my ipad.. does that mean I can get the ios5 beta? where do i go to find it?

nora47
Jun 6, 2011, 06:56 PM
I'm about to install on the first gen iPad now. I'll report back.

awesome, appreciate it.

nwcs
i think i had to register as a developer to install the multitouch gestures on my ipad.. does that mean I can get the ios5 beta? where do i go to find it?

You can't download it with the free developer account. It has to be a paid one.

Carlson-online
all im gonna say is...

64bit Itunes! cocoa baby :D

MythicFrost
Same here. Looking for help.
Seems to be up now.

Aduntu

You can enable multitouch gestures with Xcode alone. In order to access the iOS 5 betas you need to have a paid developers account.

jwillpresents
Jun 6, 2011, 06:58 PM
You must not have an iPad. It's been that way for a while.

I know, i was moreso talking about that feature on the iphone. i guess it makes sense.

ChrisTX
Jun 6, 2011, 06:58 PM
Wasn't iOS 4 released alongside the new iPhone 4 without a hitch. There must be an underlying issue as to why this won't be coming until fall.

eagandale4114
Jun 6, 2011, 06:59 PM
Downloaded and installed iTunes 10.5 from the dev site.

Installed iOS 5 and phone is now syncing music, etc.
My limited observations before actually using the phone are that the music is syncing much faster than with iOS 4.3....think original ipods on firewire instead of USB speed. And the big SYNCING no longer displays on the phone. As another poster mentioned, there's simply a small spinning wheel at the top of the screen (identical to the shutdown wheel.)

More to come....

And the rest of us are stuck with 10.2.2:D:D:D
Could you provide the link for 10.3 as its not showing up when i try to download it. It says that 10.2.2 s the latest.

Tonewheel
New VIDEO and NEWSSTAND apps are present, and the former IPOD icon in the dock has been replaced with a cool looking orange-red MUSIC icon.

Aduntu
all im gonna say is...

64bit Itunes! cocoa baby :D

Are you running 64 bit kernel? I'm still seeing 32 bit iTunes with 10.5.

Tonewheel
Also, a new REMINDERS app is present.

Tonewheel
Jun 6, 2011, 07:00 PM
And the rest of us are stuck with 10.2.2:D:D:D
Could you provide the link for 10.3 as its not showing up when i try to download it. It says that 10.2.2 s the latest.

I got both iOS5 and iTunes 10.5 (not 10.3) from the iOS dev site.

nateo200
Jun 6, 2011, 07:00 PM
And so dies Mobile Me.

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/
Glad I didn't waste my money on it.

Sooooo does this update the CDMA iPhone 4 as well?

Yes my friend just installed it on his Black 32GB iPhone 4 with Verizon. Bastard won't let me have a look because of this "non-disclosure act". I need to get my hands on this! Ugh!!!:eek::eek::D:apple::rolleyes:

FranksWildYears
Jun 6, 2011, 07:01 PM
Wasn't iOS 4 released alongside the new iPhone 4 without a hitch. There must be an underlying issue as to why this won't be coming until fall.

So it can release without a hitch alongside the new iPhone 5? ;)

WeegieMac
Jun 6, 2011, 07:01 PM
New VIDEO and NEWSSTAND apps are present, and the former IPOD icon in the dock has been replaced with a cool looking orange-red MUSIC icon.

Yeah, it's the iPod touch "music" icon.

Question though.

Currently in the iPod app I can access music (obviously) as well as video files (movies, TV shows, etc). If the iPod app has been replaced with a purely "Music" based app, then where do I go to access my movie/video files? The iPod touch has a Video app/icon.

Tonewheel
Jun 6, 2011, 07:03 PM
Yeah, it's the iPod touch "music" icon.

Question though.

Currently in the iPod app I can access music (obviously) as well as video files (movies, TV shows, etc). If the iPod app has been replaced with a purely "Music" based app, then where do I go to access my movie/video files? The iPod touch has a Video app/icon.

I'll let you know as soon as my iP4 has finished syncing. It, too, has the VIDEO app, and that's where I assume the vids will be.

jwillpresents
Jun 6, 2011, 07:03 PM
Also, a new REMINDERS app is present.

can you check out the custom sms tones?

Prynce
Jun 6, 2011, 07:04 PM

same here! and it's about time they increased the 5 device limit too!

Could have sworn it said something in the keynote about 10 devices on the screen! Not sure if this applies here though.

Tonewheel
Jun 6, 2011, 07:04 PM
can you check out the custom sms tones?

Sure, once my phone has finished syncing.

aconnell
Jun 6, 2011, 07:05 PM
Has anyone tested on a 3GS yet to see if there is lag or if all features are present?

Prynce
Jun 6, 2011, 07:07 PM
Since the prerequisites say IOS 4.3 and the IPhone 3GS runs 4.3.3, does this mean I can upgrade my 3GS to iOS 5? Has anyone installed it on IPhone 3GS? If So, how does it perform?

ugp
Jun 6, 2011, 07:09 PM
Can't wait. I really wanna try the Beta out but have had problems in the past with Betas.

Tonewheel
Jun 6, 2011, 07:09 PM
Guys - a couple of screen grabs showing some of the new icons/apps in iOS 5. Coming momentarily.

Tonewheel
Jun 6, 2011, 07:12 PM
Can't seem to get the pics to load. :mad:

DrDomVonDoom
Jun 6, 2011, 07:15 PM
Can someone confirm if we are able to delete single songs in the iPod or Music app? I like we can finally download songs to our iPhones, but I still cannot stand that we cannot delete the songs from our ipods, how are we gonna create that utopian mobile digital centric life that Steve-O has planned out for us if I can't even delete a freggin song?

MattWylde
Jun 6, 2011, 07:15 PM

I'm not a fan of all-CAPS for the folders

WeegieMac
Jun 6, 2011, 07:16 PM

Are you using an iPhone 4? How does it feel, UI wise, compared to 4.3.3 with the numerous performance complaints there's been regarding stuttering animations from time to time and lag?

huss8585
Has anyone tested on a 3GS yet to see if there is lag or if all features are present?

seems very good. with the new os installed it only gives you 13.4gb (16GB iphone)

QuarterSwede
I still kind of boggle that people share logins like this. It would drive me nuts!

It's not like an extra login costs anything more, and you can keep your stuff and hers separate. And you can share apps too by authorizing each other's iTunes.
You couldn't share calendars though. That's the ONLY reason my wife and I share a MobileMe ID. iCloud handily solves that issue FINALLY.

JReinn
Jun 6, 2011, 07:17 PM
I liked the iPod icon more than the new "Music" icon... But good news with notifications and twitter integration. Overall really happy with iOs 5.

iCloud will be awesome when it becomes 100% available. Lion release in july. How come it only costs 30$? Really cheap and gonna get it as soon as possible - but 4GB download, really? My internet speed i 4mbit, and downloading 4GB is going to take me 4-5 hours... A store DVD-release would also have been appreciated :rolleyes:

Sensamic
Still no way to organize the icons they way one wants?????? I mean leaving spaces and all...

huss8585
Can someone confirm if we are able to delete single songs in the iPod or Music app? I like we can finally download songs to our iPhones, but I still cannot stand that we cannot delete the songs from our ipods, how are we gonna create that utopian mobile digital centric life that Steve-O has planned out for us if I can't even delete a freggin song?

Yep, just slide and delete.

WeegieMac
Jun 6, 2011, 07:18 PM

Eh? It's his phone, who cares what you're a fan of when it comes to his personal choice of set up?

Jesus ...

MacBoy88
Still waiting on my activation email....UGH

andrewsd
Not sure if this has been answered I can go back and look later but I'm busy at work.
Curious how the message app works say if your phone is passcode locked and let me guess still no quick reply or compose such as bite SMS is there.?!?.

If not I'll continue to jailbreak!

Also can you marked mail as read or no?

Thanks!

QuarterSwede
I'm guessing that his custom labels.

QuarterSwede
Jun 6, 2011, 07:20 PM
Yep, just slide and delete.
The question is, will that also delete it on all your devices using iCloud?

Sorry for the double post. I thought someone would get a post in before I posted again. This thread is flyin'!

Prynce
Jun 6, 2011, 07:20 PM
seems very good. with the new os installed it only gives you 13.4gb (16GB iphone)

Was 14.29 GB with IOS 4.3.3, so still not too bad. I'm glad performance seems good for you. I am also glad the rumour that IOS 5 would not run on the IPhone 3GS proved FALSE!!

aconnell
Jun 6, 2011, 07:21 PM

Everything thing is there though feature wise? (notifications and imessage specifically)

I just bought a 3GS off ebay to go with my very first mac that i got last week. I want to make sure its not a 4.0-3G type thing

Dr Kevorkian94
Jun 6, 2011, 07:22 PM
this is amazing just finished sync

bwhitta
Jun 6, 2011, 07:23 PM
Any popular apps not working with the beta?

Chad H
Jun 6, 2011, 07:24 PM
Still waiting on my activation email....UGH Me too. I received my sales receipt about 30 minutes ago but still no activation e-mail.

MattWylde
do the multitasking gestures work for the iphone as well as the ipad in os5?

javaGuru
Any popular apps not working with the beta?

I have the same question. I'm downloading the latest SDK now in order to install it.

WeegieMac
iPhone 4 performance versus iOS 4.3.3 guys?

MacBoy88
Jun 6, 2011, 07:26 PM
Me too. I received my sales receipt about 30 minutes ago but still no activation e-mail.

I have not gotten my sales receipt yet...
I wish I could at least download while I wait

Popeye206
Jun 6, 2011, 07:27 PM
Given there are a lot of us end users here who are dying to get our hands on iOS5...

I'm curious... from the developers standpoint who have it, how would you rate it on a scale from 1-5 with 5 being... well... magical. :)

kdog0126
Jun 6, 2011, 07:29 PM
About to subscribe to developer program. Can I install on multiple devices (iPhone and iPad)?

Aduntu
Jun 6, 2011, 07:31 PM
About to subscribe to developer program. Can I install on multiple devices (iPhone and iPad)?

Yes, you can.

spooky2k
Jun 6, 2011, 07:31 PM

Usually you have to pay for each UDID registration (each device has a different UDID).

ethan028
Jun 6, 2011, 07:32 PM
Can i sync with a usb cable?

kultschar
Jun 6, 2011, 07:33 PM
Can you now attach things in mail e.g. Pics without going into the pic app?

This was a ridiculous flaw before

htpw16
Jun 6, 2011, 07:36 PM
Safe to install on a Factory Unlocked iPhone 4 from Canada? Would suck if this locks the device...

Tonewheel

Yes, you can delete individual songs.

Dr Kevorkian94
it looks like u can set custom tones for everything. there are new ones under text messages and there is an option to buy them so im guessing u can add them from itunes the same way you do with ringtones.

hellodon
Usually you have to pay for each UDID registration (each device has a different UDID).

Nah it includes 30...you shouldnt have more devices than that! ha

bursthead
Jun 6, 2011, 07:37 PM
Can you scroll with the bluetooth keyboard with iOS 5? Also is there support for the mouse?

hellodon
Jun 6, 2011, 07:37 PM
Umm, Did iOS 5 kill anyone else's iPad 2? I was using it, put it down had some dinner. Came back and I can't get the thing to turn on.

If its still not turning on hold in the top button and the circle button for 30 seconds or so..should do a hard restart...unless it really did kill it!

spooky2k
Jun 6, 2011, 07:38 PM

For some reason, I thought you meant subscribing to a developers UDID sign up program. Blame sleep deprivation! Apologies for the misinformation!

Tonewheel

Not so. I have two iP4's and an iPad registered on a single account.

huss8585
The question is, will that also delete it on all your devices using iCloud?

Music doesn't sync with devices..can't seem to find out why.

jwillpresents
it looks like u can set custom tones for everything. there are new ones under text messages and there is an option to buy them so im guessing u can add them from itunes the same way you do with ringtones.

OMG Yes! can you post a pic.

MacMadHatter
Jun 6, 2011, 07:40 PM

Sure he did that, or at least you can still rename them with your preferred method.

huss8585
Jun 6, 2011, 07:41 PM
Everything thing is there though feature wise? (notifications and imessage specifically)

I just bought a 3GS off ebay to go with my very first mac that i got last week. I want to make sure its not a 4.0-3G type thing

notifications are working great. cant find anybody to imessage with...so idk about messages

hellodon
Jun 6, 2011, 07:42 PM
I REALLY want to put iOS5 on my iPhone 4, but I'm a little nervous since it is my primary device. I don't have spare iPhones haha. I know it'll be a little buggy, but usually they're stable enough.

Any MAJOR negative discoveries yet?

Any MOSTLY positive experiences to share yet?

I know once you put 5 on there's no [easy] way to get back to 4 so you're stuck with 5 at that point and have to wait for the next beta upgrade.

I have iOS5 downloading right now, I have iTunes 10.5 downloaded but not yet installed. I just don't know if I'm ready to make the move! Someone help push me over the edge haha.

tigres
Still waiting on my activation email....UGH

For what your dev account?

MacMan86

No, 1 developer membership gets you 100 devices a year.

Can i sync with a usb cable?

Yes

Zeos
What happens the 10gb of files I Sync between my computers via iDisk?

hellodon
Jun 6, 2011, 07:43 PM
For some reason, I thought you meant subscribing to a developers UDID sign up program. Blame sleep deprivation! Apologies for the misinformation!

haha you must be super sleep deprived. I wasnt even the guy you were talking to, I was just passing along the info! haha.

Nap Time! :D

aconnell
notifications are working great. cant find anybody to imessage with...so idk about messages

awesome thanks

Tonewheel
Gang - I've been playing with iOS5 for about 15 minutes. Wow. There is just so much to review that I'd have to start a long list to remember it all.

Some earlier questions from posters....

Animations are fine. One instance to report, though. I do notice that the login screen, which normally morphs nicely into a homepage transition, does not work well. It jumps and stutters.
When I opened mail for the first time (I have 3 mail accounts), I noticed that my MobileMe account had been duplicated. I deleted the account and recreated it. All is fine.
All in all, for the first beta, I give this very high marks. If anyone has specific questions, feel free to post them. I'll be on for a while yet.

caspersoong
Jun 6, 2011, 07:44 PM
I think the options for notifications will be narrowed down really soon. Apple won't have that in the hands of consumers.

spooky2k
Jun 6, 2011, 07:45 PM
haha you must be super sleep deprived. I wasnt even the guy you were talking to, I was just passing along the info! haha.

Nap Time! :D

Ha. You win. I'm watching the Sony keynote to stay awake. I go away tomorrow morning for a few days and am waiting on a dev to register my UDID. I'm too excited!

MUBiomed
Jun 6, 2011, 07:46 PM
I am getting ready to install...this is my only iPhone and of course there are no downgrades. Any crashes for anyone yet?

huss8585
I REALLY want to put iOS5 on my iPhone 4, but I'm a little nervous since it is my primary device. I don't have spare iPhones haha. I know it'll be a little buggy, but usually they're stable enough.

Any MAJOR negative discoveries yet?

Any MOSTLY positive experiences to share yet?

I know once you put 5 on there's no [easy] way to get back to 4 so you're stuck with 5 at that point and have to wait for the next beta upgrade.

I have iOS5 downloading right now, I have iTunes 10.5 downloaded but not yet installed. I just don't know if I'm ready to make the move! Someone help push me over the edge haha.
The only thing i can't figure out it that music can't sync to other devices. go for it . totally worth it

NO crashs or anything else I could find. (however I had to manually feed paper into my printer for wireless printing)

kultschar
Gang - I've been playing with iOS5 for about 15 minutes. Wow. There is just so much to review that I'd have to start a long list to remember it all.

Animations are fine. One instance to report, though. I do notice that the login screen, which normally morphs nicely into a homepage transition, does not work well. It jumps and stutters.
When I opened mail for the first time (I have 3 mail accounts), I noticed that my MobileMe account had been duplicated. I deleted the account and recreated it. All is fine.
All in all, for the first beta, I give this very high marks. If anyone has specific questions, feel free to post them. I'll be on for a while yet.

Does Skype work?

Can you attach pics AFTER composing email (prev had to do it from photo app and then type email after)

MacMan86
Jun 6, 2011, 07:48 PM
I am getting ready to install...this is my only iPhone and of course there are no downgrades. Any crashes for anyone yet?

Yes, many. Safari, Music x2, Settings It's Beta 1 - you're going to have a frustrating couple of weeks if you're installing it on your primary device.

nora47
Jun 6, 2011, 07:49 PM

if you have your shsh saved you can downgrade according to Musclenerd of the jailbreaking community. But you can not for the ipad2 since there still is no jailbreak for that device.

tigres
Anyone know on the messaging app for iPhone if it requires iCloud like iPad, or is it just as before?

ethan028
Yes

Where? I can't find the option to do it through USB.

irwcll94
Jun 6, 2011, 07:50 PM
I'm having some problems with the apps downloading. The top bar says that the phone is syncing, but nothing has downloaded for about an hour...

The Phazer
Jun 6, 2011, 07:51 PM

Does it have one touch updating of all my podcasts inside the iTunes or iPod app? i.e. I don't have to go and find each available podcast in the store and download them one at a time, that's been there since iOS3. I want to be able to press a sync button and they all download.

Does the faster camera startup extend to third party apps that use the API (e.g. Redlaser)?

Any improvements at all to the YouTube app (search by most recent?)

What is the ease of using more than one Twitter account and switching between them?

huss8585
Does Skype work?

Can you attach pics AFTER composing email (prev had to do it from photo app and then type email after)

Can't attach, but you can copy from camera roll and paste into email.

MacMan86
Where? I can't find the option to do it through USB.

Just like you've always done it. Plug it into iTunes and hit the Sync button. Or, you can go to Settings -> General -> iTunes Sync -> 'Sync Now' when plugged in

Dr Kevorkian94
Jun 6, 2011, 07:53 PM
OMG Yes! can you post a pic.

hear u go!

ThunderSkunk
Jun 6, 2011, 07:53 PM

Yeah, been that way on ipad forever, and I was hoping it would eventually get merged back into the iPod app.

It grabs your podcast videos automatically, taking you out of your iPod app if you're going through podcasts, while any videos you shoot are tossed into photos "camera roll" and not in there at all, and any videos you've sync'd over for use in iMovie aren't in there either... kind of screwey having this app fragmenting your video experience all over the place.

I'm hoping that eventually they pay as much attention to video as they did to music. Continuous audio playback, regardless of whether the video is displaying (if your screen is off or you're in another app), or for multitasking, a picture in picture display. Keep & organize video files not in camera roll but in Videos, have iMove actually be able to use the videos in Videos, possibly merge the videos as a tab in iPod as on the iPhone for better playlist play-thru, etc etc etc...

Maybe in iOS 6. Right now, I'm off to buy a dev license to try out 5! Yehaw!

bitfactory
Jun 6, 2011, 07:54 PM
Anyone get wireless sync to work yet?

I'm able to sync with the cable attached, but when it's not it says 'Sync will resume when "Mac Pro" is available.'

Is wireless sync even working in this build?

ThE.MeSsEnGeR
Jun 6, 2011, 07:55 PM
hey guys keep on checking this page! it updates every now and then...

iOS 5 Hands-On (http://www.bgr.com/2011/06/06/apple-ios-5-iphone-ipad-2-hands-on/)

Preference to open pages in Safari in a new page or in background (amazing!).
More alert choices for emails, calendar, and the ability to buy more.
Ability to create keyboard shortcuts (autotext) to replace custom phrases. The default entry is omw which is replaced with, On my way!
Software update option in settings to check for the latest OS.
Sync now button to wireless sync to iTunes
Ability to customize how notifications in Notification Center look you can customize how many recent ones to show, 1, 5 or 10, if its showed in the lock screen, if its in Notification Center, and also the alert style, banner or alert style.
Twitter installs directly from the settings page if its not installed directly, you arent even taken to the App Store.
FaceTime button in iMessage messages at the top now
Tweeting photos is, so so slick. It displays on Twitter as powered by Photobucket, and its from iOS.
Theres a new option to print out from the Maps app hilarious.
You can make new albums right from the device itself in Photos.
You can move and add photos to albums.
Doesnt look iMessage is fully baked in here yet.
You can customize the default alert times. This is so needed so now when you enter a calendar entry, you dont have to set the default alert time you like Im a 15 minute calendar alert type of guy.
Email flagging doesnt look to be enabled in this beta, though S/MIME support is. Never mind, it is. You have to go into the message and tap mark.
It seems that Reminders sync with Exchange (Tasks basically), but you cant set location-based reminders if youre on Exchange, just with iCloud. You can selectively choose where to sync the reminder though, its just not streamlined if you use Exchange.
You can set the caller ID for FaceTime calls, so if you call someone, you can choose it to display your cellular number or email address.
In the weather app, there is a new pane for a current location which will show you weather for wherever you are.
When syncing with iTunes you can use the device normally no more syncing screen!
You can delete individual calls from the call list I know a lot of people that just got super excited.

ethan028
Jun 6, 2011, 07:57 PM
Just like you've always done it. Plug it into iTunes and hit the Sync button. Or, you can go to Settings -> General -> iTunes Sync -> 'Sync Now' when plugged in

It still does wifi sync...I got quite a few items and want a faster sync so can i just cut the wifi for now and just do USB?

WestonHarvey1
Jun 6, 2011, 07:59 PM
Mine's syncing, and it seems to be causing a lot of stuttering and freezing. But it's pretty amazing that I can actually use all the features while it is syncing.

Also, it almost feels like it is transferring songs over the air even though I'm plugged in. I'm sure I'm just imagining that... but it's kind of crawling.

Tonewheel
Jun 6, 2011, 07:59 PM
Does Skype work?

I don't use Skype.

And no, you cannot attach a photo to email after you're in the compose screen. :(

Dr Kevorkian94
Jun 6, 2011, 08:00 PM
how do i turn wifi sync on

kiljoy616

So that swim suit app is out of the question from now on :D get different ID and wait for her eyes ti squint and ask why? :D

Aduntu
Anyone get wireless sync to work yet?

I'm able to sync with the cable attached, but when it's not it says 'Sync will resume when "Mac Pro" is available.'

Is wireless sync even working in this build?

Release notes said wireless syncing is disabled in beta 1.

Jeff Flowerday
Just wondering if Apple was so inclined to add MAP profile support to the bluetooth stack. Sure would be nice if the phone played nice with Ford's Sync system and text messages.

kultschar
Can't attach, but you can copy from camera roll and paste into email.

Wow, I dont believe that aint an option on version 5!!!!

ssdeg7
Jun 6, 2011, 08:01 PM
i cant yet but i can confirm that the music and movies are separate no more iPod app

Can you post a screenshot of how the Homescreen looks right when it starts off? How are the icons located? But the videos you record are still in the photos app, right?

Thanks for the information.

iWonderwhy
Jun 6, 2011, 08:02 PM
Looks awesome, can't wait till Fall.

MacMan86
Jun 6, 2011, 08:03 PM
It still does wifi sync...I got quite a few items and want a faster sync so can i just cut the wifi for now and just do USB?

Are you certain it's syncing over wi-fi? Myself and others aren't finding it possible to sync over wi-fi. If you unplug your device from the computer, does it not say 'Sync will resume when *computer name* is available'?

It's certainly possible to sync over USB so if it really is working for you over wi-fi, just turn it off.

EDIT: As someone's just said, Wi-Fi syncing is disabled in beta 1, I found the mention in the release notes.

Artkin
Jun 6, 2011, 08:04 PM
Question:

Before iOS5, my father and I were planning on splitting the price for a Dev account and learning how to build apps together. Now that 5 is around the corner, developing beforehand would be awesome. The only thing is, would we both be able to run the beta on both of our phones if he registered with his ID and I was using my normal Apple ID?

ethan028
Jun 6, 2011, 08:04 PM
Are you certain it's syncing over wi-fi? Myself and others aren't finding it possible to sync over wi-fi. If you unplug your device from the computer, does it not say 'Sync will resume when *computer name* is available'?

It's certainly possible to sync over USB so if it really is working for you over wi-fi, just turn it off.

Oh, I thought it would just do that just plugged in. But yeah thanks for straightening that out :D i guess it is going over USB

Tonewheel
Jun 6, 2011, 08:07 PM
does it have one touch updating of all my podcasts inside the itunes or ipod app? I.e. I don't have to go and find each available podcast in the store and download them one at a time, that's been there since ios3. I want to be able to press a sync button and they all download. don't listen to podcasts

does the faster camera startup extend to third party apps that use the api (e.g. Redlaser)? i don't notice any speed diff

any improvements at all to the youtube app (search by most recent?) no

what is the ease of using more than one twitter account and switching between them? i don't use twitter

jwillpresents
Jun 6, 2011, 08:10 PM
hear u go!

does it have a spot for the text tones on the itunes 10.5

Dr Kevorkian94
Jun 6, 2011, 08:13 PM
does it have a spot for the text tones on the itunes 10.5

no it doesn't, but u can buy them on the phone and change the tones to other default

MacBoy88
Jun 6, 2011, 08:14 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

I wish my Dev account would activate!!

hellodon
You can make new albums right from the device itself in Photos.
You can move and add photos to albums.

YES!!!! Been SO in need of this!! I can't believe it took this long but finally, some organization without bringing them into iPhoto and doing it all in there then syncing. Its such a pain in the ass that way. This is awesome!

jwillpresents
no it doesn't, but u can buy them on the phone and change the tones to other default

So there's already some available?

irwcll94
Jun 6, 2011, 08:16 PM
Anyone else having any trouble installing apps?

hellodon
Jun 6, 2011, 08:17 PM
I don't use Skype.

And no, you cannot attach a photo to email after you're in the compose screen. :(

Thats always been such a pain. I dunno if you guys knew this but you CAN switch back over to photos real quick, open up the photo you want to attach and hold your finger down on it til the "Copy" button shows up, Copy it, then go back to the email and Paste. Anyone I've told about that was unaware, so maybe it'll be helpful to some of you.

Its still a little bit of a pain in the ass, but its the only current way to do what you want to do.

Dr Kevorkian94
So there's already some available?

yea the same one that are used for ring tones, but like i said there is an option to buy more so it will probably be implemented

huss8585
Question:

Before iOS5, my father and I were planning on splitting the price for a Dev account and learning how to build apps together. Now that 5 is around the corner, developing beforehand would be awesome. The only thing is, would we both be able to run the beta on both of our phones if he registered with his ID and I was using my normal Apple ID?

yeah, you can have up to 100 devices to develop on.

kultschar
Jun 6, 2011, 08:18 PM
What are you guys opinions about Delta updates during beta? Likely to do them in beta? Guess makes sense!!!

Dr Kevorkian94
Jun 6, 2011, 08:18 PM

actually when syncing yes it took a while, updates though were fast and more than one was downloading at a time.

ThE.MeSsEnGeR
Jun 6, 2011, 08:21 PM
iOS 5 is getting more and more amazing by the second!!!!!

http://cultofmac.cultofmaccom.netdna-cdn.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/10.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b192/coupey/photo1.png

kultschar
Jun 6, 2011, 08:23 PM
Thats always been such a pain. I dunno if you guys knew this but you CAN switch back over to photos real quick, open up the photo you want to attach and hold your finger down on it til the "Copy" button shows up, Copy it, then go back to the email and Paste. Anyone I've told about that was unaware, so maybe it'll be helpful to some of you.

Its still a little bit of a pain in the ass, but its the only current way to do what you want to do.

I thought we might finally get the attach option especially with documents now going into the cloud. If I want to send a doc to a client I have to do it from within Pages. Most of the time I like to reply to an exsisting email and then attach doc. Huge oversight, surely to be fixed

mac=saif
Jun 6, 2011, 08:24 PM
Can't wait for both iOS 5 and Lion to come out. Especially, these new features like iMessage are gonna be great. I don't think it will affect WhatsApp a lot, because its cross-platform. While iMessage is limited to iOS. But at least it gives the iPod touch and the iPad greater messaging capability. I hope later it gets integrated into OS X. After all Apple did bring Facetime to the Mac after quite a few requests.
RIM will have to think of something for BBM.

andrewsd
Jun 6, 2011, 08:24 PM
Can you make more then one album on your iOS device itself?

hellodon
Jun 6, 2011, 08:25 PM
I thought we might finally get the attach option especially with documents now going into the cloud. If I want to send a doc to a client I have to do it from within Pages. Most of the time I like to reply to an exsisting email and then attach doc. Huge oversight, surely to be fixed

Yeah I agree...hopefully this is something we'll see added soon. Its kind of ridiculous to not make attachments of any kind easier. Photos for sure, but especially with apps starting to have saved files like Pages.

irwcll94
Jun 6, 2011, 08:26 PM

Yay! It's working now... I was about to make an iPhone size hole in the wall

sennekuyl
Jun 6, 2011, 08:26 PM
<snip>

Backup before you upgrade. If it bombs out, restore and don't upgrade again.

hellodon
Jun 6, 2011, 08:30 PM
Backup before you upgrade. If it bombs out, restore and don't upgrade again.

Well thats the thing - I don't think you can restore back to 4.x.x firmware... once you bump it up to 5, you're there.

kultschar
Jun 6, 2011, 08:31 PM
Are email, phone calls and texts stable?

Might try it out if so, dont care about the rest since iPad 2 is my main device

sennekuyl
Jun 6, 2011, 08:32 PM
Yeah the requests are actually getting kind of annoying...

So filter them... or is that not possible.

Really, you can't downgrade?!

eliehass
Jun 6, 2011, 08:34 PM
I keep getting an error while trying to install on my iPad 2, it says that my device is not eligible for that build. I checked a hundred times, I downloaded the correct build for my iPad and my iPad is registered on my developer account...

Coasterfanryan
Jun 6, 2011, 08:34 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm a fan on the new oval switch buttons!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

irwcll94
Jun 6, 2011, 08:35 PM
Are email, phone calls and texts stable?

Might try it out if so, dont care about the rest since iPad 2 is my main device

I can call people, but it seems like I'm not receiving calls.

Chad H
Jun 6, 2011, 08:41 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

I wish my Dev account would activate!!

Been waiting 4 hours for my email. This is a little much.

javaGuru
Jun 6, 2011, 08:41 PM
I can call people, but it seems like I'm not receiving calls.

Anyone else having problems receiving calls?

kingsmuse
Jun 6, 2011, 08:42 PM
It has been mentioned that Airprint is enabled for any printer in the iOS5 beta.

Is Airprint running through a PC/Mac print server or can it be run through an Airport Express or Extreme?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

:)

bamafever09
Jun 6, 2011, 08:42 PM
Been waiting 4 hours for my email. This is a little much.

Roll tide brother lol

hellodon
Jun 6, 2011, 08:43 PM
So filter them... or is that not possible.

Really, you can't downgrade?!

Nah any major bumps in firmware...2 to 3, 3 to 4, and now 4 to 5 - it updates a full permanent step I think with the baseband. I believe there are ways to get back but its not easy. Its not just a matter of restoring, unfortunately. I know when people were trying to get back to 3 from 4, it took some time for the hackers to come up with a way to do it.