PDA

View Full Version : New drive in 17" Powerbook (Rev.D)

andrewfee
Mar 21, 2005, 06:10 PM
Just got my replacement 17" Powerbook from Apple today, and it seems they're putting different 100gig drives in the machines now.

The old Seagate drive was getting complaints from a few people, as it made a strange noise every 30 seconds or so; to me it sounded like a ball-bearing dropping on metal, but it didn't bother me for some reason.

The drive in this Powerbook is a "Hitachi HTS541010G9AT00"
This drive doesn't make the noise, although I think it might be running a little hotter as the fan on the left-hand-side of the Powerbook has spun up a little, when it didn't at all on the old one. (then again I only had it five days before it went back)

It's only been for a second or two at most when it has spun up though, so isn't an issue.

So for those of you that have been putting off buying a 17" or upgraded 15" due to the hard drive noise complaints, they should be gone by now. (this was from the UK Apple Store and ordered a week or two ago)

As a side note, they completely forgot to install the 2gig of ram in the Powerbook; it was just a standard one I was sent. They're sending it out for me to fit myself though, and say it should only be a couple of days before I get it.

Edit: I just noticed why it was running hotter; by default it wasn't spinning the drive down, and was running in the "highest" processor speed when plugged into the mains. I've changed it to automatic and to spin the drive down, and it's cooled down a fair bit already. (changed it a couple of minutes ago)

Demon Hunter
Mar 21, 2005, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the update, that is good news. I've never had any problems with Hitachi. :)

andrewfee
Mar 21, 2005, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the update, that is good news. I've never had any problems with Hitachi. :)
Neither have I; infact I've still got an old 4gig hitachi drive from my first PC (it was 700mb then we added a 4gig drive a year or so after) and it works perfectly.

Can't say I've had another drive that's lasted that long. (have had seagate, ibm, western digital drives in the past)

Edit: Now that I think about it, that drive must be well over 10 years old now, and was used in a machine as a primary drive until last year.