PDA

View Full Version : Verizon iPhone Owners Left Out of iCloud Fun (For Now)

MacRumors
Jun 6, 2011, 07:01 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/06/verizon-iphone-owners-left-out-of-icloud-fun-for-now/)

When Steve Jobs told the crowd at Moscone that iTunes In The Cloud would be "available today" (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/06/apple-rolls-out-first-icloud-features-automatic-downloads-purchased-content-listings/), lots of iPhone and iPad users were very excited to begin using Automatic Downloads, Purchased Content Listings, iTunes in the Cloud and all the rest.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/Screen-shot-2011-06-06-at-7.56.48-PM.png

(http://www.front.macrumors.com/?attachment_id=313796)

However, one group of users -- those owning a Verizon iPhone, to be precise -- can't participate in the fun, like the losing team at the World Series watching the champagne spray all over the winning pitcher. It's true, CDMA iPhones are stuck at 4.2.8, and iTunes in the Cloud only works on iOS 4.3.3 or later. It's buried in the fine print at the bottom of the iCloud Features page (http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/):
Available in beta now in the U.S. only and requires iOS 4.3.3 on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 (GSM model), iPod touch (3rd and 4th generation), iPad, or iPad 2, or a Mac or PC with iTunes 10.3. Previous purchases may be unavailable if they are no longer in the iTunes Store.
Sorry, Verizon owners. You're still second best.

Article Link: Verizon iPhone Owners Left Out of iCloud Fun (For Now) (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/06/verizon-iphone-owners-left-out-of-icloud-fun-for-now/)

MacGeek50
Jun 6, 2011, 07:03 PM
I'm on iOS5 beta and I'm on Verizon, I have iCloud fully up and running

eddiejsmall
Jun 6, 2011, 07:05 PM
THIS IS SO F-IN BULL! What the hell Apple. I left ATT because of poor service area, but kept an iPhone because I've had one since DAY 1, 2007! Now we can't have what others are getting to experience. This is horrible, and non-apple like.

Intell
Jun 6, 2011, 07:12 PM
... iTunes in the Cloud only works on iOS 4.3.3 or later.

Small correction, the iTunes Cloud beta works on any iOS 4.3.X version.

nagromme
Jun 6, 2011, 07:13 PM
THIS IS SO F-IN BULL! What the hell Apple. I left ATT because of poor service area, but kept an iPhone because I've had one since DAY 1, 2007! Now we can't have what others are getting to experience. This is horrible, and non-apple like.

The iCloud Verizon delay currently is measured in hours. If it becomes weeks, I’d be jealous! Hopefully it will be only days.

You can be sure Apple didn’t WANT anything to be different on the Verizon phones. So they’ll be working to resolve your problem.

reactions
Jun 6, 2011, 07:14 PM
is it really that fun?

Verizon users - u arent missing out

yet

Mac-Addict
Jun 6, 2011, 07:14 PM
Sorry international customers, you are also still, and always will be, second best.

whiteyanderson
Jun 6, 2011, 07:23 PM
What type of forum/ "news site" writes up articles and then declares ANY type of paying customer as "second best"? Tongue in cheek? Maybe. But still...

Steelers7510
Jun 6, 2011, 07:24 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8E401)

I'm not going to lie this really is tarring to piss me off... I didnt buy an iPhone to be left out on all the software updates for no apparent reason. Really unfair apple.

richard4339
Jun 6, 2011, 07:24 PM
What type of forum/ "news site" writes up articles and then declares ANY type of paying customer as "second best"? Tongue in cheek? Maybe. But still...

Agreed. As a user currently frustrated by this, the wording there was actually irritating to me.

jlgolson
Jun 6, 2011, 07:27 PM
Small correction, the iTunes Cloud beta works on any iOS 4.3.X version.
Ah, good to know. Apple's footnote says 4.3.3 though, FWIW. Probably covering their ass.

jlgolson
Jun 6, 2011, 07:37 PM
I'm sorry you feel that way, and it's definitely tongue in cheek. But, honestly, it's Apple you should be upset with, not me.

Bluethree
Jun 6, 2011, 07:42 PM
Agreed. As a user currently frustrated by this, the wording there was actually irritating to me.

Guys seriously...get a life and lighten up. :rolleyes:

tgildred
Jun 6, 2011, 07:44 PM

The tongue-in-cheek, colloquial tone that's been set since the site redesign--particularly the iOS blog--has really rubbed me the wrong way. I mean no offense, but it's not particularly clever, it's slightly amateurish, and definitely not the professional tone I'd come to expect from MacRumors.

(and no, I'm not on Verizon... :) )

tjb1
Jun 6, 2011, 07:54 PM
Sorry international customers, you are also still, and always will be, second best.

Yes, International...Apple in California and you are in London. You are the international one, not Verizon customers.

szark
Jun 6, 2011, 08:01 PM
iTunes in the Cloud only works on iOS 4.3.3 or later. It's buried in the fine print at the bottom of the iCloud Features page (http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/):

Or you could have listened to Steve say "available for iOS 4.3" during the Keynote. I knew instantly that I would not be participating in the "fun" until iOS 5 was released.

The tongue-in-cheek, colloquial tone that's been set since the site redesign--particularly the iOS blog--has really rubbed me the wrong way. I mean no offense, but it's not particularly clever, it's slightly amateurish, and definitely not the professional tone I'd come to expect from MacRumors.

Whenever I see the word "Blog" identifying a particular feed, I automatically assume it will have a friendlier, more casual tone. More professional feeds don't usually use that word.

caspersoong
Jun 6, 2011, 08:06 PM
Yep. It works with JB iOS 4.3.2 as well.

sinbushar
Jun 6, 2011, 08:14 PM
I don't think anybody has the right to be upset over not having access to software in beta (with the exception of developers). Nobody has really been left out...

Also, this isn't the BBC or NYTimes, it's okay to have a little fun. We are just talking about technology here...

vnowarita
Jun 6, 2011, 08:39 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

 funny stuff. Atleast us ATT uses have a little braggin rights for a day.

Cheerwino
Jun 6, 2011, 08:55 PM

Agreed. Today's liveblog was rather snarky, too.

Aduntu
Jun 6, 2011, 09:26 PM
I thought I was reading either Gizmodo or a Full of Win post. Either way, it sucked. Please don't write articles like this in the future.

Vercingetorix
Jun 6, 2011, 09:28 PM
Whenever I see the word "Blog" identifying a particular feed, I automatically assume it will have a friendlier, more casual tone. More professional feeds don't usually use that word.

Except that a "more casual tone" -- if that's what you call pointless snark -- is very different from the authoritative, above-the-fray tone that MacRumors has always cultivated. This sounds like something the rabble of amateurs over at TUAW would post.

Bucharoo1
Jun 6, 2011, 09:41 PM
I hate AT&T and have done so for years based on a litany of cheesy business practices and a flat-out inadequate network. Forced back on them by the iphone, my call drops slowly, systematically got more numerous while the price rose. Verizon is not any better on the economics side, but the iphone actually works as a telephone!!!!!

Now Jobs is planning a deal with China Telecom Corporation Limited and Rostelecom and Svyazinvest in the former Soviet Union. Once those are in the bag (it still takes 5 years to get a new phone number in Moscow) he'll get his folks on the Verizon issue. You heard it here first!

Congodog

Anonymous Freak
Jun 6, 2011, 09:45 PM

Feel entitled much?

DarwinOSX
Jun 6, 2011, 09:53 PM
I thought I was reading either Gizmodo or a Full of Win post. Either way, it sucked. Please don't write articles like this in the future.

Exactly what I thought. Silly inflammatory post in order to get page views and hits. The worst part is they didn't confirm it. Because I am also on Verizon and using the iOS 5 beta and it's working fine with icloud. Just like the very first poster in this thread.
Yet a bunch of people posted their whines without reading that it does actually work.

bibbz
Jun 6, 2011, 09:54 PM
Available in beta now in the U.S. only and requires iOS 4.3.3 on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 (GSM model), iPod touch (3rd and 4th generation), iPad, or iPad 2, or a Mac or PC with iTunes 10.3. Previous purchases may be unavailable if they are no longer in the iTunes Store.

I didnt read this as "iPhone 4 GSM model only" but instead as "Requires 4.3.3 on GSM model" but the CDMA model since it doesnt run 4.3.3 would do the iCloud stuff without 4.3.3.

Maybe i'm wrong, can someone with a CMDA model confirm?

DarwinOSX
Jun 6, 2011, 09:54 PM

Control yourself and read the very first post in this thread which says it does indeed work.

DaGreat01
Jun 6, 2011, 10:06 PM
Come to think of it, I wonder how this whole iCloud thing is going to work with CDMA iPhones. Whats going to happen when you a backing up to the cloud and a phone call comes in. Or you want to stream a picture to your iPad or Mac while on a call.

(I might be wrong though since i think iCloud only works over wifi, but i thought about that after i typed all of the above)

And for those that got rubbed the wrong way by the post, what's the big deal? I would be upset with Apple, if mad at all, and not the post if my AT&T phone didnt work with iCloud currently. Come on, really? :rolleyes:

srf4real
Jun 6, 2011, 10:07 PM

How, then? I'm on Verizon and I'm on iOs 4.2.8 and "my software is up to date."

tk421
Jun 6, 2011, 10:07 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

You guys are entitled to your opinion, but I love the new tone. It's more entertaining to read, and therefore more engaging.

I also see less punctuation and grammar mistakes. Those I found annoying.

qacjared
Jun 6, 2011, 10:08 PM
I didnt read this as "iPhone 4 GSM model only" but instead as "Requires 4.3.3 on GSM model" but the CDMA model since it doesnt run 4.3.3 would do the iCloud stuff without 4.3.3.

Maybe i'm wrong, can someone with a CMDA model confirm?

I image apple is waiting for iOS 5 to merge the two branches of iOS. Just like the iPad ran 3.2 while the iPhone/iPod touch ran 3.1 until 4.2 in November last year.

ten-oak-druid
Jun 6, 2011, 10:29 PM
Sprint iphone owners will have to wait even longer.

adamfilip
Jun 6, 2011, 10:50 PM

spaz

skemez1
Jun 6, 2011, 11:28 PM
Just to note, I have a gsm iphone 4 running ios 4.3.2 not (4.3.3) and the new beta features ARE working on my phone.

jelew1985
Jun 6, 2011, 11:39 PM
Have you guys considered that Verizon might be holding Apple back with iOS 4.3.3?

Euroamerican
Jun 6, 2011, 11:54 PM
What a yawner.

The good thing is that I have really good coverage regarding phone calls on my ViPhone. You've got iCloud a bit sooner. I'm good with that.

iMrNiceGuy0023
Jun 6, 2011, 11:59 PM
Verizon left out as usual

registerednerd
Jun 7, 2011, 12:07 AM
How has everyone managed to miss the first post of the thread? If you have access to the iCloud beta, you also have access to the iOS 5 beta. Everyone (within the confines of the developer program) has access to everything.

TortitudoProbo2
Jun 7, 2011, 12:48 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8E200)

Then I'm going to by really pissed off. Why don't they just update all iOS devices to the same firmware like they did for the iPad? Just because I have a Verizon iPhone doesn't mean that we should be left in the dark

joeshmo2010
Jun 7, 2011, 01:20 AM
Ouch, burn on Verizon

Baf5289
Jun 7, 2011, 03:08 AM
**** y'all haters! We love you Jordan Golson!!!

blackcrayon
Jun 7, 2011, 05:35 AM
How, then? I'm on Verizon and I'm on iOs 4.2.8 and "my software is up to date."

Because he/she installed the iOS 5 beta, which is available for both GSM and CDMA iPhones.

nateo200
Jun 7, 2011, 05:52 AM
Guys seriously...get a life and lighten up. :rolleyes:

You have a 3GB iPhone 4? lol

Aragrist
Jun 7, 2011, 05:53 AM
Not sure why anyone cares about the iCloud beta anyway. I'm more interested in iOS 5 which should be universal when it hits all iPhones turning them into pseudo iPhone 5's. Chances are that an iPhone 4S or 4GS or some other will be announced in september with all the iPod and iPad stuff. Then iPhone will be universal on all carriers and will all have the same version number of 5.0 or 5.3 barring any bug fixes on release day. iPad 3 should be an interesting announcement that I'm guessing will have at least a 5mp camera this time around, same for iPod Touch.

blackcrayon
Jun 7, 2011, 05:59 AM
Not sure why anyone cares about the iCloud beta anyway. I'm more interested in iOS 5 which should be universal when it hits all iPhones turning them into pseudo iPhone 5's. Chances are that an iPhone 4S or 4GS or some other will be announced in september with all the iPod and iPad stuff. Then iPhone will be universal on all carriers and will all have the same version number of 5.0 or 5.3 barring any bug fixes on release day. iPad 3 should be an interesting announcement that I'm guessing will have at least a 5mp camera this time around, same for iPod Touch.

For those of us with more than one device (eg iPhone and iPad), iCloud is awesome, and a long time coming. The photo sync and possibility of "game progress sync" alone is worth the free price ;)

NightFox
Jun 7, 2011, 06:15 AM
It's not so much a matter of Verizon customers being excluded - it's more a matter of only AT&T customers in the US being included. If you don't fall into this group, i.e. you're not on AT&T or you live outside of the US, then it's no play for you. :(

MacBoucher
Jun 7, 2011, 07:19 AM
I switched to Verizon because of the terrible AT&T network... so you may have iOS5 beta and iCloud features, but I have full bars everywhere I go... so at least I'm not without voice/data anymore - that's a win for me. :D

beegee225
Jun 7, 2011, 07:58 AM

Is there anything the rest of us can't do?

tashomamusha
Jun 7, 2011, 08:01 AM
I don't think so. You really not suppose to use once you have fried some thing in it. I have heard old cooking grease contains carcinogens.

TheGraphicMac
Jun 7, 2011, 08:16 AM
We're talking about the BETA only being available to US AT&T, not the final version. Why is everyone getting in a huff about this?

Gasu E.
Jun 7, 2011, 08:16 AM

CLASSIC! How quickly the world owes you something you didn't know existed until 10 seconds ago (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk)! :D

iScott428
Jun 7, 2011, 08:24 AM
Its a Beta people! Seriously your not being left out. When video games do beta releases, every person that has an xbox or ps3 does not just get the beta there is a limit; not to mention it makes some sense that AT&T customers get first shot as they have been around (theoretically) since Day 1. As for the international issue...well I guess this is one of the few times that living in the US is actually better than living in Europe.

The DRis
Jun 7, 2011, 08:48 AM
We're talking about the BETA only being available to US AT&T, not the final version. Why is everyone getting in a huff about this?

Because there is this entitlement that people feel now. I personally don't get it.

NightFox
Jun 7, 2011, 08:51 AM

Its a Beta people! Seriously your not being left out. When video games do beta releases, every person that has an xbox or ps3 does not just get the beta there is a limit; not to mention it makes some sense that AT&T customers get first shot as they have been around (theoretically) since Day 1. As for the international issue...well I guess this is one of the few times that living in the US is actually better than living in Europe.

Because when Jobsy said, without any caveat, that iTunes in the cloud was available now he rather implied that it was available for anyone, not just limited to customers of one telco in just one country. That's why we're not happy.

schwell
Jun 7, 2011, 09:08 AM
Because when Jobsy said, without any caveat, that iTunes in the cloud was available now he rather implied that it was available for anyone, not just limited to customers of one telco in just one country. That's why we're not happy.

So you are not happy because someone else has something and you don't. A vision of toddlers fighting over a toy is stuck in my head.

hathornb
Jun 7, 2011, 10:41 AM
Come to think of it, I wonder how this whole iCloud thing is going to work with CDMA iPhones. Whats going to happen when you a backing up to the cloud and a phone call comes in. Or you want to stream a picture to your iPad or Mac while on a call.

(I might be wrong though since i think iCloud only works over wifi, but i thought about that after i typed all of the above)

And for those that got rubbed the wrong way by the post, what's the big deal? I would be upset with Apple, if mad at all, and not the post if my AT&T phone didnt work with iCloud currently. Come on, really? :rolleyes:

This is a good question...is the iCloud over Wifi only?

richard4339
Jun 7, 2011, 11:00 AM
For me, its not that we're not getting the iCloud beta since we don't have 4.3; I understand that. What I don't understand is why the Verizon iPhone still has not received 4.3 period. The beta plus other features added since 4.3 are still missing on the Verizon iPhone.

Will I live if we never get 4.3 and have to wait until 5? Yes. But to me it's still upsetting because it seems like we're getting the shaft in a way.

AppleFanatic10
Jun 7, 2011, 11:01 AM
For me, its not that we're not getting the iCloud beta since we don't have 4.3; I understand that. What I don't understand is why the Verizon iPhone still has not received 4.3 period. The beta plus other features added since 4.3 are still missing on the Verizon iPhone.

Will I live if we never get 4.3 and have to wait until 5? Yes. But to me it's still upsetting because it seems like we're getting the shaft in a way.

I would like to know that too. 4.3 has been out for months and we're still on 4.2?

cooldaddybeck
Jun 7, 2011, 11:35 AM

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/2/1362599_02bcdea730.jpg

TurnerMan
Jun 7, 2011, 12:55 PM
Your douchebaggery is appalling.

EatSleepMac
Jun 8, 2011, 02:30 AM
I agree that this is a let down but I'm mainly disappointed that us Verizon users are still stuck in 4.2. I'm sure by the time iCloud is even worth using we will have it. For now, I still take my unlimited data plan over at&t users getting iCloud any day..

registerednerd
Jun 8, 2011, 02:36 AM
This is a good question...is the iCloud over Wifi only?
You can re-downlaod apps, music, and books over cellular (you can select in settings whether you want it to happen automatically over cellular, or only WiFi), but backup is WiFi only, while the device is asleep and plugged into power (essentially, while you sleep)

joeshmo2010
Jun 8, 2011, 01:37 PM
I switched to Verizon because of the terrible AT&T network... so you may have iOS5 beta and iCloud features, but I have full bars everywhere I go... so at least I'm not without voice/data anymore - that's a win for me. :D

Ive had service every where with att ever since I signed up in 2004. Even in the middle of nowhere when travelling in Montana. Verizon is not so great....

Afrojedi
Jun 8, 2011, 03:09 PM
Verizon iphone 4 is working just fine with iCloud. Some apps are not working and hopefully Apple deals with this soon.

NightFox
Jun 9, 2011, 04:52 AM
So you are not happy because someone else has something and you don't. A vision of toddlers fighting over a toy is stuck in my head.

Do stop trolling. Disappointment is an emotion shared by adults too. If someone tells me I'm getting something and then I later find I'm not, I'm disappointed. It's nothing to do with anyone else having it.

AppleFanatic10
Jun 10, 2011, 08:59 PM
You can re-downlaod apps, music, and books over cellular (you can select in settings whether you want it to happen automatically over cellular, or only WiFi), but backup is WiFi only, while the device is asleep and plugged into power (essentially, while you sleep)

What about movies/TV shows?

Anonymous Freak
Jun 12, 2011, 01:37 AM
The complaint about Verizon phones not being able to use iCloud right now stems from the fact that the parts of iCloud that are available right now require iOS 4.3, and Verizon iPhones are still on 4.2.

Yes, if you are a registered developer with access to iOS 5, you can use all of iCloud now, even on a Verizon phone.