PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Apple Pro keyboard??

Plymouthbreezer
Mar 21, 2005, 09:13 PM
Crumbs, dust, and other nasties get in our sexy Apple Pro Keyboards... Anyone know of a good way to get it all out and clean?? :confused:

broken_keyboard
Mar 21, 2005, 09:28 PM
Yes just pop the keys out. They are designed to pop in and out, don't worry you won't break them.

homerjward
Mar 21, 2005, 09:38 PM
Yes just pop the keys out. They are designed to pop in and out, don't worry you won't break them.
says the guy with the broken keyboard :p
but seriously, thats how to clean 'em. canned air works ok, but doesnt get stuff that gets under keys. just pop them out and like shake the stuff out lol. liquids, im not so sure about

uaaerospace
Mar 21, 2005, 09:45 PM
I've cleaned mine twice. The first time I just popped off the keys. You can get some of them off with your fingers, but you might need something like a dull knife to help gently pry. Just be gentle and you won't break anything. The second time I cleaned my keyboard, I took the entire thing apart. I had to do this because I had crumbs between the white and clear sections along the bottom edge. If you do this, you will need a small phillips screw driver and a tiny allen wrench (I don't remember the size). It is not too complicated, just don't get in a hurry. It took me about 1.5 hours to take mine apart, clean it, and put it back together. The keyboard will come apart into the clear bottom piece, the white piece above it, and a metal/plastic combo with the key sockets. I would not advise taking this last piece apart, because there is nothing to be gained unless you just spilled something on it. It is a mess to get back together. I used alcohol with paper towels and q-tips. Clean and like new now! Good luck... ~Josh

Plymouthbreezer
Mar 22, 2005, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the ideas, sounds like a nice weekend project. ;)