Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

biggy52

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
Tanzania (East Africa)
Can anyone enlighten me i can sync only selected groups in my contacts per device?. I have groups in my Address Book like WifeContacts, Mine, Mom.

I want my iphone to sync contacts on the cloud with "Mine" Group
Wife with "Wife" and Mom with "Mom" groups.
But i want our home ipad to sync with all the 3 groups.

Is that possible? or will that be possible.

Thanks

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Can anyone enlighten me i can sync only selected groups in my contacts per device?. I have groups in my Address Book like WifeContacts, Mine, Mom.

Thanks

You do know that pretty much everyone here only knows what has been released during WWDC right? I do not think anyone can answer the question of what will be until more details are released.

As far as now, I do not think you can synch just a certain group. I looked and cannot see any option to synch a subset of your address book, it seems to be all contacts or none, but maybe I missed something.

biggy52

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
Tanzania (East Africa)
I know its too early, im just very curious, because i bought MobileMe subscription for this. But it wouldnt allow. I was just hoping really really hard this would be possible. If anyone does find out anything relevant to this, please do enlighten us here!

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
the only way to currently do this is with a wired sync

not possible now via mm, have to wait and see if iCloud allows this

karthik.k

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2011
San Francisco

Thanks

I think this article would help you on this:
http://www.karthikk.net/2011/06/how-to-sync-contacts-with-icloud-on-ios-5/

Otterkop

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2008
Only options to sync selected groups to iCloud is to create more accounts in your Address Book (See prefs / Accounts). To me easiest is to use a free Yahoo account.

Thing is you can open all accounts in your Address Book and you can maintain contact as easy as before. And ... the advantage ... iCloud will only sync contacts within the iCloud account. Fun part: if you would accidentally want your other contact info as well? Just 'open' your secondary account on your iOs device

zambombazo

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2012
Hi, has anyone found a satisfactory answer to the issue?

I am in the same situation. Want to sync selected groups for different devices

Otterkop

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2008
iCloud syncing

https://discussions.apple.com/message/17174791#17174791

iCloud doesn't sync selected groups. Its weird but reality. I posted on the above link some ideas how to solve the problem. Use a Google / Yahoo account to maintain part of your contacts and iCloud to do the others.

You can connect every device to both iCloud or Google / Yahoo. Hence, you would have the possibility to distinguish between groups. In both situations your contacts would stay in sync.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.