PDA

View Full Version : iTunes 10.3 Now Available for Download

MacRumors
Jun 7, 2011, 08:44 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/07/itunes-10-3-now-available-for-download/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/itunes_10_icon_150.jpg

Yesterday, we noted (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/06/apple-rolls-out-first-icloud-features-automatic-downloads-purchased-content-listings/) that Apple had begun promoting availability of iTunes 10.3 on its main iTunes site (http://www.apple.com/itunes/) but that the actual download page was still serving up iTunes 10.2.2 and that Software Update had yet to begin offering the new version to users.

A few hours later, iTunes 10.3 did in fact become available for download, bringing compatibility with some early iCloud features making their way to iOS devices.What's new in iTunes 10.3

Introducing iTunes in the Cloud beta. The music you purchase in iTunes appears automatically on all your devices. You can also download your past iTunes purchases. Where you want, when you want.

- Automatic Downloads. Purchase music from any device or computer and automatically download a copy to your Mac and iOS devices.

- Download Previous Purchases. Download your past music purchases again at no additional cost. Your purchases are available in the iTunes Store on your Mac or in the iTunes app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Previous purchases may be unavailable if they are no longer on the iTunes Store.

iTunes 10.3 also adds Books to the iTunes Store, where you can discover and buy your favorite books on your computer and automatically download them to iBooks on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

This version also allows you to use Automatic Downloads with apps and books or download previously purchased apps and books from your computer or iOS device.iTunes 10.3 is available in a Mac version for systems running Mac OS X Leopard or later, as well as in 32-bit and 64-bit versions for Windows.

A separate iTunes 10.5 release will ultimately bring full support for iCloud and iOS 5 later this year, and an initial beta of that version has been seeded to developers for testing alongside the other forthcoming software offerings.

Article Link: iTunes 10.3 Now Available for Download (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/07/itunes-10-3-now-available-for-download/)

rkmac
Jun 7, 2011, 08:45 AM
Poor 10.4
...forgotten about :(

macbwizard
Jun 7, 2011, 08:49 AM
I love being able to download my old songs that somehow got lost along the way.

Interesting note: If the songs were purchased at 128kbps w/ DRM, they redownload the same way. This shouldn't have surprised me, but it did.

Samuriajackon
Jun 7, 2011, 08:50 AM

Interesting note: If the songs were purchased at 128kbps w/ DRM, they redownload the same way. This shouldn't have surprised me, but it did.

Woot, time to start working for iCloud for DROID....for those of us who can't afford an iPhone.

GreenFreaK
Jun 7, 2011, 08:50 AM
The re-downloading feature is awesome! That way in case something happens or you lose your music, you don't have to pay again! This is also very useful for people that share iTunes accounts - hell the iCloud is perfect for that! Say a friend buys a song, you'd get it instantly on your device as well. :p

RodThePlod
Jun 7, 2011, 08:51 AM
I'm really pleased about Books being made available through iTunes on the Mac/PC. It was kinda clunky only being able to browse/find them on your iPad/iPod/iPhone...

RTP.

OneMike
Cool just updated, I only purchased a couple albums through iTunes, but still nice.

WannaGoMac
Stay away until Dev Team says it's safe to use jailbreakers :)

Full of Win
Woot, time to start working for iCloud for DROID....for those of us who can't afford an iPhone.

Don't hold your breath.

Also, why no viewing of ebooks via iTunes?

dealmaker
Won't show up here in UK???

wonder if its just for the USA at present? :confused: :mad:

roadbloc
Jun 7, 2011, 08:53 AM

Entirely up to the Android developers. Not Apple.

Sky Blue
Jun 7, 2011, 08:53 AM
Be useful if you could actually open the Books on your Mac.

nitro912gr
Jun 7, 2011, 08:54 AM
nothing at the software update yet.

Also I don't understand, iCloud will be available only if I have iDevice or just say my macbook?
I mean the services like me@me.com etc

AtomicEdge
Jun 7, 2011, 08:54 AM

The download is on the UK itunes site. The features only extend as far as Books and Apps for us though sadly. The Music part of all this is US only according to the apple site... :mad:

paulsalter
Jun 7, 2011, 08:55 AM

the way i found it was go into itunes and then the store

at the right is a new option called purchases, click this and it takes you to the download

jyoung96
Jun 7, 2011, 08:56 AM
im running the 10.5 beta build, but I don't see anything with iCloud in it.. only the 10.3 has it?

Bear
Jun 7, 2011, 08:57 AM
Be useful if you could actually open the Books on your Mac.Also, why no viewing of ebooks via iTunes?Because there is no iBooks for OS X. Provide feedback to Apple at OS X Feedback (http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html) asking for an iBooks application and explain why it would be a good idea.

Part of the the suggestion could be how having iBooks on a Mac would make things easier for you.

tgdbowler
Jun 7, 2011, 08:58 AM
Still waiting for the 64-bit version for the Mac...

Bear
Jun 7, 2011, 08:59 AM
Still waiting for the 64-bit version for the Mac...What do you expect from a 64-bit version? Why do you think it's needed?

Coleco
Jun 7, 2011, 08:59 AM
I wonder if you subscribe to the music match if you can get a "free" upgrade of previously DRM'd songs purchased on iTunes.

Kinda bummed that the redownload option still is the old DRM'd files, but as someone else said, not surprised.

Razeus
Jun 7, 2011, 09:00 AM
Cool. They should release iCloud features a little at a time. That way things don't get botched (a la MobileMe) when it really comes out. Next they should let us have the contacts, email, calendar. After than Photostream.

AFPoster
Jun 7, 2011, 09:00 AM
Now they need to give us Lion and iOS 5 now please...=)

MattG
Jun 7, 2011, 09:02 AM

Why bother?? It'll just be another half-assed solution for the Android platform, that's "kinda like, but not really and not nearly as good" as the Apple solution.

You can't afford an iPhone? How much did you pay for your Droid? You can get a 3GS for $49.

Bear
Jun 7, 2011, 09:03 AM
nothing at the software update yet.

Also I don't understand, iCloud will be available only if I have iDevice or just say my macbook?
I mean the services like me@me.com etcI'm not sure what you're actually asking here. iOS 4.3.3 and iTunes 10.3 have the ability to re-download purchased items on all your devices (that meet the version requirements).

Full iCloud features will require iOS 5 and Lion.

As for current MobileMe email users, you should be able to access email as you currently do. Although there is a question of whether webmail will still be there.

cwwilson
Jun 7, 2011, 09:03 AM
Downloaded.

Don't know what good it is for those of us on 4.2 iOS.

kavika411
Jun 7, 2011, 09:04 AM
I'm confused. When I check for updates in iTunes, I get this message.

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/4125/screenshot20110607at902.png

tgdbowler
Jun 7, 2011, 09:05 AM
What do you expect from a 64-bit version? Why do you think it's needed?

Exactly the same thing other 64-bit apps get access to: more than 4GB of RAM.
Which will bring even better performance. I'm not looking for more features, just better performance.

cwwilson
You're going to have to download it from the website.

MattG

Image (http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/4125/screenshot20110607at902.png)

It's still not working through SW update, at least not for a lot of people. You can get it manually from iTunes.com now though.

Bear
Jun 7, 2011, 09:06 AM
Cool. They should release iCloud features a little at a time. That way things don't get botched (a la MobileMe) when it really comes out. Next they should let us have the contacts, email, calendar. After than Photostream.Well, they did do part of it yesterday. And as for "contacts, email, calendar" - I suspect these will be essentially identical to what MobileMe is for those features.

So everything else that is left will probably appear with Lion and iOS5.

redfirebird08
Jun 7, 2011, 09:06 AM

I noticed this too. I'm disappointed in it.

mattburles
Jun 7, 2011, 09:07 AM
im confused if 10.3 is beta or not.. it shows up for me as being available through apple software update on windows. usually they dont push beta software through this.

dealmaker
Jun 7, 2011, 09:08 AM

at the right is a new option called purchases, click this and it takes you to the download

Thanks!!! Sorted!!! :D

frunkis54
Jun 7, 2011, 09:09 AM

It's not supposed to be. It's a beta version so it's only available through www.apple.com/iTunes.

japanime
Jun 7, 2011, 09:09 AM
As a book publisher, I'm THRILLED that our iBookstore titles can now also be browsed in iTunes. Thank you, Apple!

dealmaker
Jun 7, 2011, 09:10 AM

Great - BUT only giving me Apps and Books! :(

We mustn't be getting music yet outside USA!

Bear
Jun 7, 2011, 09:11 AM
Exactly the same thing other 64-bit apps get access to: more than 4GB of RAM.
Which will bring even better performance. I'm not looking for more features, just better performance.How many songs (and videos etc)) do you have that you need iTunes to use more than 4GB of ram?

I'm only using 300 Megs of virtual memory. There might be performance improvements from a Cocoa re-write (which would make it 64 bit), but iTunes going to 64bit in and of itself won't gain you anything really.

Dont get sucked in by buzz words.

winterlocked
Jun 7, 2011, 09:11 AM
The download is on the UK itunes site. The features only extend as far as Books and Apps for us though sadly. The Music part of all this is US only according to the apple site... :mad:

Yep, same in Canada. Booo-urns.

paulsalter
Jun 7, 2011, 09:13 AM
Great - BUT only giving me Apps and Books! :(

We mustn't be getting music yet outside USA!

doesnt look like it, think we have to make do with apps & books

havent turned the syncing on yet, need to read a bit more before trying

eyekyu
Jun 7, 2011, 09:15 AM
just showed up in software update here in australia

DemonBob
Jun 7, 2011, 09:19 AM

When i downloaded older songs. I found a link in the store, labeled "Itunes Plus" it allowed me to re-download all the songs DRM free...

I don't remember which page it was on in the store, but it was a link on the left hand side after I downloaded all my songs. The link showed me all songs which could be upgraded.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1711

Žalgiris
Jun 7, 2011, 09:22 AM

Better performance. It would come not from the 64 bit, but from Cocoa. And yes 10.5 beta when installed on Lion is 64 bit Cocoa and runs way faster than 10.5 beta on Snow Leopard which is 32 bit Carbon.

caviwipes
Jun 7, 2011, 09:22 AM
I only see my last 50 purchases and I have been buying music since the Store was launched!

redfirebird08
Jun 7, 2011, 09:23 AM
When i downloaded older songs. I found a link in the store, labeled "Itunes Plus" it allowed me to re-download all the songs DRM free...

I don't remember which page it was on in the store, but it was a link on the left hand side after I downloaded all my songs. The link showed me all songs which could be upgraded.

30 cents per song (plus tax) to upgrade is a ripoff.

mattburles
Jun 7, 2011, 09:24 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

I assume this program is not beta because it doesn't mention beta anywhere in the file download? Plus there is a 10.5 version already which is in beta?

callme
Jun 7, 2011, 09:30 AM
I hope the absence of the 'Music' element of iCloud outside the USA is only a temporary problem. It may be that they are still working on getting the music labels and publishers to agree outside the US.

If it ends up being a USA only feature (like TV Rentals for Apple TV) then it will be a big failure for 50% of Apple's customers.

Let's hope it is opened up to everyone - SOON!

Full of Win
Jun 7, 2011, 09:30 AM

64 bit apps have a lot more than the amount of memory they can use. In OS X, they are more efficent and they have greater protection from malware / hack attacks. Both of these are "good things", aren't they.

lk09
Jun 7, 2011, 09:31 AM
I only see Purchased Apps & Books but no Music? :mad:

Krazyceltickid
Jun 7, 2011, 09:32 AM
So I got 10.3 (yay!) and want to set up syncing between my MacBook and my iPhone, but I notice something . . . troubling. I deleted old apps on my iPhone, and deleted some more off my mac. But when I went to the App Store on my iPhone, I then navigated to the Purchased tab and in the "Not On This iPhone" section I found every single app that I've downloaded . . . ever. Do we have to wait until iCloud is released before we can delete the crappy apps we don't want off the cloud or have we found a way to do so now? Seems like all that time I was bored and downloaded every free app I found just for kicks is coming back to bite me in the ass . . .

callme
It's not supposed to be. It's a beta version so it's only available through www.apple.com/iTunes.

iTunes 10.3 is not a Beta, the iCloud service is what is in Beta.

throwfar
Would love to be able to create a playlist and have it transfer to iOS devices and vice versa. Does this capability exist?

callme
Jun 7, 2011, 09:33 AM
I only see Purchased Apps & Books but no Music? :mad:

Are you based in the USA?
If not then you will not have access to the Music features.
Apple state clearly on the web site that it is only available in the USA.

Ratatapa
Jun 7, 2011, 09:34 AM
Ok so downloaded a song on iTunes. After upgrading it to 4.3

But the song is not on my iPad or iPhone

Is this feature available now or only with ios5

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

callme
Jun 7, 2011, 09:35 AM

Are you in the USA?

macleod199
Jun 7, 2011, 09:35 AM
Cool. They should release iCloud features a little at a time. That way things don't get botched (a la MobileMe) when it really comes out. Next they should let us have the contacts, email, calendar. After than Photostream.

They're doing that in Canada, it seems. We've only got the auto-download for apps and books, not for music yet.

baleensavage
Jun 7, 2011, 09:37 AM
Bummer. However, we'll have to wait to find out if the same is true with iTunes match. $25 to upgrade all those old songs is a much better deal than the 30˘ per song way they want you to do it now. Whether iTunes match will allow you to upgrade those songs has yet to be seen. It's pretty obvious that Apple wasn't going to do it for free, though it would be nice.

Also, just roundabout thinking here... It sounds like it would be possible to rip a CD of those songs, then reimport to iTunes in a crappy MP3 format and have it treat them like like third party MP3s with iTunes match.

callme
Jun 7, 2011, 09:39 AM

Have you turned it on?
You need to turn on the auto download on your iDevices.
Settings > Store (wait for the screen to refresh and you should see the Automatic Downloads options.
If you don't have the option to turn on Music then you are probable outside the USA which is the only place that has the music option at the moment.

esposimi
Jun 7, 2011, 09:40 AM
I downloaded the beta from Demonoid last night and had this in the 'About' box. Wonder if it's the same version from Apple's site.
http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/3646/screenshot20110607at103.png

Gonna download the one from Apple now and see if it's different.

Stiksi
Jun 7, 2011, 09:40 AM
Mm… okay… So according to the new iTunes I have a total of 1 song in my library. I guess this really IS a beta version.

Anybody know if there's a way to make iTunes detect the library?

kbmb
Jun 7, 2011, 09:41 AM
FYI....Just showed up for me in Software Update.

I have tried all the auto sync with Music and apps and it works great in both directions. FINALLY, if I buy an app on my Mac, I don't have to sync/use app store on the iPad/iPhone to get it! Same goes for the Mac, buy on device, auto downloads to my Mac. Kudos Apple!

-Kevin

d21mike
Jun 7, 2011, 09:42 AM
I downloaded the beta from Demonoid last night and had this in the 'About' box. Wonder if it's the same version from Apple's site.
Image (http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/3646/screenshot20110607at103.png)

You are on 10.5 beta (developer) and this is 10.3 for everyone. It is discussed on that page.

kbmb
Jun 7, 2011, 09:42 AM
Image (http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/3646/screenshot20110607at103.png)

The iTunes 10.5 beta is for Devs only for use with testing iOS5.

-Kevin

Anijake
Jun 7, 2011, 09:43 AM
They need an option to allow iPhone only apps to also go to the iPad, right now only universal apps get transferred over. Sometimes I want the iPhone app on my iPad because there is no iPad version.

joelovesapple
Jun 7, 2011, 09:44 AM
The keynote was excellent...

I know these more exciting things won't be happening until 'Fall' which is UK summertime I guess. I was expecting a few new things to play with before then... and I'm a bit bummed that I cannot redownload previous purchases for free as I'm in the UK...

Time will tell.

paulsalter
Jun 7, 2011, 09:45 AM
FYI....Just showed up for me in Software Update.

I have tried all the auto sync with Music and apps and it works great in both directions. FINALLY, if I buy an app on my Mac, I don't have to sync/use app store on the iPad/iPhone to get it! Same goes for the Mac, buy on device, auto downloads to my Mac. Kudos Apple!

-Kevin

how does it actually sync them

if i buy on my mac, does it wirelessly sync from the mac to an iphone/ipod, or does the ipod/iphone just auto download again from the store

paulsalter
Jun 7, 2011, 09:46 AM

I know these more exciting things won't be happening until 'Fall' which is UK summertime I guess. I was expecting a few new things to play with before then... and I'm a bit bummed that I cannot redownload previous purchases for free as I'm in the UK...

Time will tell.

Fall = Autumn

itsPhil
Jun 7, 2011, 09:48 AM
I bet I know the problem......I have over 1,000 purchases, but was only seeing like 10.....

I've had an Apple ID since my first mac in 2003. The ID was my email address. Somehow along the way I ended up with another ID which was just my email address without the "@hotmail.com."

Then when MobileMe came out I was forced to make yet a third Apple ID. Due to the way that syncing has worked I have been in a situation where my iTunes ID is my mobile me account, but my iPhone was the Apple ID I had been using for my iphone since before MobileMe existed.

The dilemma is now 3 separate Apple IDs, all of which have different iTunes purchase histories. AND THEY CAN'T BE CONSOLIDATE!!!

DEAR APPLE, I HOPE YOU REALIZE THIS IS GOING TO BE A BIG PROBLEM FOR A LOT OF PEOPLE HOPING TO USE iCLOUD!

sishaw
Jun 7, 2011, 09:49 AM

I know these more exciting things won't be happening until 'Fall' which is UK summertime I guess.

You Brits, you always have to be so independent.

John.B
Jun 7, 2011, 09:49 AM

Didn't they say these would be 256kbps and DRM free in the keynote or did I imagine that?

If so, report it as a bug. http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunes.html

sishaw
Jun 7, 2011, 09:50 AM
Didn't they say these would be 256kbps and DRM free in the keynote or did I imagine that?

No, I thought that's what they said also.

mcmlxix
Jun 7, 2011, 09:51 AM
Pardon my ignorance.

At the keynote they said that music previously bought from iTunes will be available to download to all devices at the user's discretion, and that new purchases from iTunes automatically download to all devices.

But what if I only want it on my Mac and not any of my iDevices (space issues)? Currently there’s no way to delete iTunes media from the iDevices from iOS. You have to make the change on the Mac playlist and then resync.

Or am I wrong about this? Will iOS 4.x or 5 allow the user to delete media?

lk09
Jun 7, 2011, 09:54 AM
Are you based in the USA?
If not then you will not have access to the Music features.
Apple state clearly on the web site that it is only available in the USA.

Im in England so that explains that. Do you know when it will be available here?

lk09
Jun 7, 2011, 09:56 AM
Pardon my ignorance.

At the keynote they said that music previously bought from iTunes will be available to download to all devices at the users discretion, and that new purchases from iTunes automatically download to all devices.

But what if I only want it on my Mac and not any of my iDevices (space issues)? Currently there’s no what to delete iTunes media from the iDevices from iOS. You have to make the3 change on the Mac playlist and then resync.

There is probably a setting where you can tell it not to automatically download to your other devices. :cool:

moseleyite
And yes 10.5 beta when installed on Lion is 64 bit Cocoa and runs way faster than 10.5 beta on Snow Leopard which is 32 bit Carbon.

Oh, good news, any performance enhancement to iTunes would be welcome.

callme

Time will tell.

'Fall' is UK Autumn (as in leaves 'fall'ing) not Summer.

goingblue
So let's say I want to share everything like pictures, calendar, tasks with my wife's account? So we can all see the same things. We both have iPhones. Do I just configure them both to use the same account?

callme
Jun 7, 2011, 09:58 AM
There is probably a setting where you can tell it not to automatically download to your other devices. :cool:

There is:

Settings > Store, you can turn on / off Apps, Books and Music (only if you are in the USA).

KCMichaelB
Jun 7, 2011, 09:59 AM

I purchased my refurbished/blemished 3GS for $19 from AT&T in December. They still have some available. Not a scratch on it.

bdkennedy1
Jun 7, 2011, 09:59 AM
No thanks.

caviwipes
Jun 7, 2011, 10:04 AM
Tried on all my devices now and still only see the 50 most recent purchases. I thought you could access everything you had purchased before?

derekjd
Jun 7, 2011, 10:07 AM
Apparently it does not work with podcasts, awesome great have to keep on pluggin my iDevices in every **** **** *** *** (nevermind).... Wish Google would at least give me a Google Listen app for iOS....

Eduardo1971
Jun 7, 2011, 10:10 AM

I would 'lurve' to have this capability on our iMac!

iEvolution
Jun 7, 2011, 10:13 AM
Installed without a problem nice to get some songs back that I have apparently lost but unfortunately if you purchased the DRM versions of songs you still get the DRM version downloaded which really is a bummer.

blueroom
Jun 7, 2011, 10:14 AM
There is:

Settings > Store, you can turn on / off Apps, Books and Music (only if you are in the USA).

Works in Canada too.

vstephenson
Jun 7, 2011, 10:17 AM
So I got 10.3 (yay!) and want to set up syncing between my MacBook and my iPhone, but I notice something . . . troubling. I deleted old apps on my iPhone, and deleted some more off my mac. But when I went to the App Store on my iPhone, I then navigated to the Purchased tab and in the "Not On This iPhone" section I found every single app that I've downloaded . . . ever. Do we have to wait until iCloud is released before we can delete the crappy apps we don't want off the cloud or have we found a way to do so now? Seems like all that time I was bored and downloaded every free app I found just for kicks is coming back to bite me in the ass . . .

Same concern here, sort of...posted this in the wrong forum by mistake

I'm not happy that my app download history has just been shared with my whole family.

I share my iTunes account with mv wife etc and now I have to explain my private download choices because everything I have bought and deleted on my iPhone is available for them to see.

All the apps I may have downloaded at the office messing about with the guys, safe in the knowledge I could just delete them off the phone, can now be seen and scrutinised

Not just "awkward" ones but also the expensive ones etc

I don't see why I have to forced to explain my purchase choices

Why can't these histories be edited?

Anyone else feel the same?

Serious concern!

VulchR
Jun 7, 2011, 10:18 AM
Kinda sucks that you can't synch music outside of the USA. :mad:

And... there'd better not be any hassle because my MobileMe account is different than my iTunes account.

Eduardo1971
Jun 7, 2011, 10:21 AM
You Brits, you always have to be so independent.

Err, it was the colonists in the U.S. who were 'so independent'.:p:D

keruah
Jun 7, 2011, 10:23 AM
Apparently it does not work with podcasts, awesome great have to keep on pluggin my iDevices in every **** **** *** *** (nevermind).... Wish Google would at least give me a Google Listen app for iOS.... Look at Instacast ($1.99)

Darrensk8
Jun 7, 2011, 10:24 AM

fraid so....you can get it through the website but only apps and books are working....at the moment :rolleyes:

pmasters
Jun 7, 2011, 10:24 AM
Okay, I am confused. How the heck do we download previous purchases? I went into my Purchase History but see no links or buttons that allow me to download past purchases.

Some guidance would be greatly appreciated.

redgaz26
Jun 7, 2011, 10:25 AM
i just done it with a book no bother mac> then straight on to the iphone but tried a few apps and nothing???

edit that..... so i just opened the app store on my iphone , it asked me for my password then started downloading the apps i bought on my mac, so is that what you need to do??

Eduardo1971
Jun 7, 2011, 10:25 AM
Same concern here, sort of...posted this in the wrong forum by mistake...I'm not happy that my app download history has just been shared with my whole family...

Given all the security and privacy concerns that has brought attention to Apple-I would not be surprised if Apple comes up with a remedy to this once iOS 5 is released.

In the meantime, you might want to write to Apple and share your concerns.

Cheers.

blueroom
Jun 7, 2011, 10:26 AM
I'm not happy that my app download history has just been shared with my whole family.

Brings up the question...
Is sharing app purchases among your families devices legal? Not sure myself but doesn't seem right. Everyone in my family has their own Apple ID and individual budget for their iOS device.

samcraig
Jun 7, 2011, 10:28 AM
Is sharing app purchases among your families devices legal? Not sure myself but doesn't seem right. Everyone in my family has their own Apple ID and individual budget for their iOS device.

Yes. Apple has said that you can share apps across devices.

pmz
Jun 7, 2011, 10:29 AM
I downloaded the beta from Demonoid last night and had this in the 'About' box. Wonder if it's the same version from Apple's site. Gonna download the one from Apple now and see if it's different.

Developers. Only.

whoami
Jun 7, 2011, 10:29 AM

it's legal as long as you're using the same apple id..

Žalgiris
Jun 7, 2011, 10:31 AM
I share my iTunes account with mv wife etc and now I have to explain my private download choices because everything I have bought and deleted on my iPhone is available for them to see.

Apple ID is a personal thing iDevices are personal things. You have created a problem out of nothing and it's your problem and not Apple's that's for sure.

pmz
Jun 7, 2011, 10:31 AM

It doesn't bring up any question. Any device that you sign into with your Apple ID is your device. So if you trust your wife or your mother or brother with your credit card and account username/password, then they can use your account.

If your family has their own IDs and accounts, then they're not getting anything from you.

blow45
Jun 7, 2011, 10:32 AM

All the apps I may have downloaded at the office messing about with the guys, safe in the knowledge I could just delete them off the phone, can now be seen and scrutinised

Serious concern!

copy past it to their feedback because it is important, and I am sure if enough people mention it it will change.:):apple:

YMark
Jun 7, 2011, 10:32 AM
So let's say I want to share everything like pictures, calendar, tasks with my wife's account? So we can all see the same things. We both have iPhones. Do I just configure them both to use the same account?

Good question that I'd like the answer too as well. My wife and I both have iPod Touches, each have a Mac, and have separate iTunes accounts. However, we DO SHARE libraries.

I'm curious how this "automatic download" to devices will work for both of us. Do we have to use the same iTunes account?

pmz
Jun 7, 2011, 10:35 AM

Serious concern!

If this is an issue, why are you sharing an account in the first place?

Instead of worrying about this, I would work on your relationship and get to the point where you don't have to explain such trivial things.

iPunish901
Jun 7, 2011, 10:36 AM
i just need autocorrect to stop "correcting" icloud when i type it.....

Rodimus Prime
Jun 7, 2011, 10:38 AM
Took them long enough to get the 64 bit windows installer up. It was by far the last one to get up.

It takes time for that to get up and running and on top of that a lot of companies and willing to bet Apple included delay pushing those updates out to the SW update system and sends them out in batches to deal their servers being slammed to hard or more so reduce the servers being slammed.

Right I am downloading iTunes64 bit install and it is going at a crawl as far as I am concerned as I have the bandwidth to do 1+ megs/sand it is going at less than 100kb/s

ivladster
Jun 7, 2011, 10:41 AM

Androids and iPhone costs almost the same.

whoami
Jun 7, 2011, 10:41 AM
If this is an issue, why are you sharing an account in the first place?

Instead of worrying about this, I would work on your relationship and get to the point where you don't have to explain such trivial things.

lol.... if anything i'd like to be able to delete some of the dumb free apps from my history that i downloaded and deleted for a reason.. ie they sucked!

vstephenson
Jun 7, 2011, 10:47 AM
lol.... if anything i'd like to be able to delete some of the dumb free apps from my history that i downloaded and deleted for a reason.. ie they sucked!

:-) also part of my point really, I've got pages of sucky apps to scroll through!

Some poeple don't seem to use an iTunes account and their advices in the same way as we do, that's cool.

Looks like separate accounts will be the way to go to avoid scrolling through pages of apps I'm not interested in as well as the crap ones

But there are benefits to sharing accounts too, depends which is the most important I guess

kbmb
Jun 7, 2011, 10:47 AM

if i buy on my mac, does it wirelessly sync from the mac to an iphone/ipod, or does the ipod/iphone just auto download again from the store

So you have to turn it on, on both your iDevices and your Mac (iTunes 10.3 if you want it to sync back).

So you turn on auto syncing on iDevice through Settings -> Store and you can choose Music, Apps, Books. When you buy an app on your Mac, the minute you enter your password and it starts to download, on your iDevice it will download as well.

Same goes the other way if you set that up with iTunes 10.3. Buy something on your iDevice, and it will auto download on your Mac/PC.

Basically, it's downloading again from the server for each device....it's not syncing between them.

-Kevin

malnar
Jun 7, 2011, 10:49 AM

The latter - from store to device. But BEWARE - I bought an album this morning in iTunes on my iMac, it downloaded, and I'd set up auto-downloading on my Touch. Left for work, went to listen to music in my car and guess what was on my Touch? ONLY that one album! Downloading this ONE album wiped out about 45gb of music on my 64gb Touch.

I'm furious. The only thing that's saving me from going absolutely ape-***** right now is that I can download some of the stuff from iTunes again here at work, but I'm not at ALL happy about this. Luckily I'm not one of the stupid ones who fills up an iPod and then deletes everything out of the computer... but imagine! Am I the only one this happened to?

baleensavage
Jun 7, 2011, 10:51 AM
Are you serious?! If you share an iTunes account, then all she's had to do is go into the account history in iTunes to find that info out. If she really cares, then she likely already knows. And it's not like the iTunes store has porn anyway.

gdeusthewhizkid
Jun 7, 2011, 10:51 AM
this was a great download. I got a ton of my old music that i purchased.. Especially music videos.. How come they dont do this with movies..

lamina
Jun 7, 2011, 10:53 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

This re-downloading thing will take a lot of pressure off of iTunes support agents, god bless their souls.

zombierunner
Jun 7, 2011, 10:54 AM
i downloaded the itunes update .... and when i go into purchased ... it's only showing the apps and ibooks i purchased but no music .. why is that?

caviwipes
Jun 7, 2011, 10:56 AM
this was a great download. I got a ton of my old music that i purchased.. Especially music videos.. How come they dont do this with movies..

How far back of your purchases could you re-download? I can only see about my last month or so!

WestonHarvey1
Jun 7, 2011, 10:57 AM
I lost a bunch of albums years ago and now they're all here! I totally forgot about most of them. It's almost feels like I just got a bunch of free new music.

vstephenson
Jun 7, 2011, 10:57 AM
Are you serious?! If you share an iTunes account, then all she's had to do is go into the account history in iTunes to find that info out. If she really cares, then she likely already knows. And it's not like the iTunes store has porn anyway.

No, I could have worded the original post better

I suppose it would just be neater solution if you could clear out the ones you don't want to reload or share rather than have just one huge list to wade through

PubGuy
Jun 7, 2011, 10:58 AM

You can't afford a $49 3GS ??? :rolleyes:

musio
Jun 7, 2011, 10:59 AM
just synced with iphone and got an error

iphone cannot sync, file cannot be found

:confused::mad:

iEvolution
Jun 7, 2011, 11:01 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

This re-downloading thing will take a lot of pressure off of iTunes support agents, god bless their souls.

x2, and it is about time. I could never figure out why this wasn't implemented in the first place.

baleensavage
Jun 7, 2011, 11:01 AM
No, I could have worded the original post better

I suppose it would just be neater solution if you could clear out the ones you don't want to reload or share rather than have just one huge list to wade through
Yeah. Like others have mentioned, we've all downloaded some crappy apps and deleted them. It would be nice if they'd just go away for good. I tried 2 or 3 netflix apps for example that really sucked before they came out with the official app. I have no interest in every using them again and will be annoyed if they start popping back up on my computer. Not to mention the millions of crappy free games I tried out for my son. :P

Dr McKay
Jun 7, 2011, 11:02 AM

Still waiting for the 64-bit version on Windows...

iEvolution
Jun 7, 2011, 11:03 AM
Still waiting for the 64-bit version on Windows...

There is a 64-bit version its down on the download page in fine text

Here's the direct link
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1047

bushido
Jun 7, 2011, 11:07 AM
i downloaded the itunes update .... and when i go into purchased ... it's only showing the apps and ibooks i purchased but no music .. why is that?

because u'r from england and the music part is US Only, not rly unexpected considering those licensing stuff which needs to be handled for each country seperately

iEvolution
Jun 7, 2011, 11:08 AM
For me personally this has been the best iTunes upgrade since iTunes came to the PC..not even kidding. 7,8,9 and 10 have all essentially just added bloat to the program for me and the only reason I upgraded half the time was to support my new iPod(s).

Darlo770
Jun 7, 2011, 11:12 AM
Why is the fall release versioned as iTunes 10.5? Did they skip 10.4?

Habakuk
Jun 7, 2011, 11:13 AM
10.3 hangs since 15 min on sorting my 4,000+ "bought apps" by name in the new list and my MBP goes hot. I can't access dock for shutdown the app.

rjohnstone
Jun 7, 2011, 11:13 AM
There is a 64-bit version its down on the download page in fine text

Here's the direct link
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1047
It's only a 64bit Installer... the app is still 32bit.

MacNewsFix
Jun 7, 2011, 11:14 AM
Really digging the music and app retrieval process ala the Cloud on both the iPad as well as on my Mac via iTunes 10.3. Managed to retrieve some music and apps I'd forgotten I had lost.

Nicely done, :apple:.

kirk26
Jun 7, 2011, 11:15 AM
Why is the fall release versioned as iTunes 10.5? Did they skip 10.4?

We still have a ways to go before Fall.

iEvolution
Jun 7, 2011, 11:16 AM

Oh I see what you're saying, I just thought you didn't know that it could be installed on Windows 64-bit right now.

Would love to see 64-bit programming start taking over 32-bit personally since 64-bit processors have been around what seems for ages yet very few companies seems to be developing for it.

iEvolution
Jun 7, 2011, 11:18 AM
Really digging the music and app retrieval process ala the Cloud on both the iPad as well as on my Mac via iTunes 10.3. Managed to retrieve some music and apps I'd forgotten I had lost.

Nicely done, :apple:.

me too, definitely one of the best features to ever grace the iTunes program.

milo
Jun 7, 2011, 11:18 AM
Agreed that Apple needs to create a book reader for macs, it's odd they didn't have one from day one.

I also think it's odd that they send out the 128/DRM versions. Sure they can if they want, but it sends a funny message that the guy who bought an iTunes version gets worse treatment than a guy who pirates his whole library and gets the better version for $25 per year. Not to mention that it's that much more work and storage space to maintain two versions - they really are keeping around files that they haven't sold in years? Just dump the low quality versions and be done with it.

Exactly, the MR article gets this wrong.

The 10.5 beta is 64 bit, so we should be seeing it pretty soon. And it's about time.

A bit better performance, just like every other 64 bit app. iTunes needs all the help it can get.

How many songs (and videos etc)) do you have that you need iTunes to use more than 4GB of ram?

64 bit apps generally perform better even when they're not using that much ram, there's a good reason that most of the apps included with OSX are 64 bit (Safari, Mail, etc). It's not just buzzwords, it's actual measurable performance improvements.

iTunes 10.3 is not a Beta, the iCloud service is what is in Beta.

Says BETA right on the page (and others), not sure why they don't have it on the download page as well.
http://www.apple.com/itunes/

At the keynote they said that music previously bought from iTunes will be available to download to all devices at the user's discretion, and that new purchases from iTunes automatically download to all devices.

But what if I only want it on my Mac and not any of my iDevices (space issues)? Currently there’s no way to delete iTunes media from the iDevices from iOS. You have to make the change on the Mac playlist and then resync.

With the update, you can't delete media synced from your computer, but now you can delete media from the cloud. New feature, try it out.

zorinlynx
Jun 7, 2011, 11:21 AM
If Apple has any sense of justice they will offer to upgrade all those blasted 128k DRM-infested files when you subscribe to iTunes Match. It's enough is enough, everyone should be able to rid themselves of this crap by now.

On the same note, is iTunes Match available yet with 10.3? I thought I heard they said it would be, but I haven't heard anyone talk about it yet.

gnasher729
Jun 7, 2011, 11:25 AM

And why exactly would Apple do that?

All this iCloud stuff and iTunes Match is not so that Apple can make money from the cloud (although they won't refuse if you give them your cash), but in order that people buy Macs, iPods, iPhones and iPads instead of products from their competitors.

If Apple has any sense of justice they will offer to upgrade all those blasted 128k DRM-infested files when you subscribe to iTunes Match. It's enough is enough, everyone should be able to rid themselves of this crap by now.

If iTunes Match doesn't do it by itself, then you'll have to burn the music to CD, and reimport it. I never did that because the DRM didn't get in my way so far, but I would obviously do that to upgrade to better sound quality.

redfirebird08
Jun 7, 2011, 11:25 AM

On the same note, is iTunes Match available yet with 10.3? I thought I heard they said it would be, but I haven't heard anyone talk about it yet.

Not available until the fall. I suspect they will nix the idea of downloads and turn it into a streaming service.

xlii
Jun 7, 2011, 11:27 AM
10.3 hangs since 15 min on sorting my 4,000+ "bought apps" by name in the new list and my MBP goes hot. I can't access dock for shutdown the app.

You have 4000+ apps! That has to be a record. What do you use them all for. Even if you used 1 app a minute that would take 66 hours to run through them all.

apple-steve
Jun 7, 2011, 11:33 AM
Damn! Home Sharing does not work now!

Anyone else getting this?

iEvolution
Jun 7, 2011, 11:35 AM

agreed. I'm still mad at the fact they wanted to charge 30 cents per song to upgrade when they were still charging a flat rate of 99 cents for the song, essentially charging the veteran user $1.30 for the same song a newbie could pick up for $1.

I mean really where does that 30 cents go anyway?

I also think it's odd that they send out the 128/DRM versions. Sure they can if they want, but it sends a funny message that the guy who bought an iTunes version gets worse treatment than a guy who pirates his whole library and gets the better version for $25 per year. Not to mention that it's that much more work and storage space to maintain two versions - they really are keeping around files that they haven't sold in years? Just dump the low quality versions and be done with it.
I doubt they have two versions of each song I bet they have some sort of script that converts it when the file is requested from a person that got screwed with the DRM version.

rjohnstone
Jun 7, 2011, 11:36 AM
Damn! Home Sharing does not work now!

Anyone else getting this?
Works fine for me.
Make sure Bonjour service is running.

HobeSoundDarryl
Jun 7, 2011, 11:41 AM
If iTunes Match doesn't do it by itself, then you'll have to burn the music to CD, and reimport it. I never did that because the DRM didn't get in my way so far, but I would obviously do that to upgrade to better sound quality.

Not sure if I'm reading this right, but burning 128Kbps files to CD and then importing them at a higher bit rate doesn't upgrade the sound quality. It's still 128kbps at best because burning it to CD doesn't create a source file that either matches what it would have been native on CD (had you purchased the music on CD) or if you were doing the same with a 256Kbps file. All the burn to CD and then re-import would do is get rid of the DRM in the imported version. You would gain nothing by importing it at anything more than 128Kbps if the original was the same.

spacemanspifff
Jun 7, 2011, 11:43 AM
Kinda sucks that you can't synch music outside of the USA. :mad:

You CAN sync your music outside of the USA - just do it the way you were doing it before, with the cable.

I really cant understand how people are thinking this iTunes in the cloud is soooo great. It's not.

dingus
Jun 7, 2011, 11:47 AM
Jesus christ. There's a reason I delete terrible apps.

Where's the goddamned iCloud edit button?

marlonux
Jun 7, 2011, 11:48 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; es-es) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Still waiting for the 64-bit version for the Mac...What do you expect from a 64-bit version? Why do you think it's needed?

Is already 64 bit support LOL

paulsalter
Jun 7, 2011, 11:50 AM
So you have to turn it on, on both your iDevices and your Mac (iTunes 10.3 if you want it to sync back).

So you turn on auto syncing on iDevice through Settings -> Store and you can choose Music, Apps, Books. When you buy an app on your Mac, the minute you enter your password and it starts to download, on your iDevice it will download as well.

Same goes the other way if you set that up with iTunes 10.3. Buy something on your iDevice, and it will auto download on your Mac/PC.

Basically, it's downloading again from the server for each device....it's not syncing between them.

-Kevin

The latter - from store to device. But BEWARE - I bought an album this morning in iTunes on my iMac, it downloaded, and I'd set up auto-downloading on my Touch. Left for work, went to listen to music in my car and guess what was on my Touch? ONLY that one album! Downloading this ONE album wiped out about 45gb of music on my 64gb Touch.

I'm furious. The only thing that's saving me from going absolutely ape-***** right now is that I can download some of the stuff from iTunes again here at work, but I'm not at ALL happy about this. Luckily I'm not one of the stupid ones who fills up an iPod and then deletes everything out of the computer... but imagine! Am I the only one this happened to?

Thanks for the info, thats a bit disappointing

I assumed with wifi syncing that it would be from one device to the other

not sure if i really want to download all my purchases multiple times

Bigdaddyguido
Jun 7, 2011, 11:50 AM
Wirelessly posted (Iphone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

:-) also part of my point really, I've got pages of sucky apps to scroll through!

Some poeple don't seem to use an iTunes account and their advices in the same way as we do, that's cool.

Looks like separate accounts will be the way to go to avoid scrolling through pages of apps I'm not interested in as well as the crap ones

But there are benefits to sharing accounts too, depends which is the most important I guess

I dunno, I'm personally pleased with the way it rolled out. All my hundreds and hundreds of apps are a tad embarrassing I guess, but I already used it to find some old software I had on previous phones and forgot about, and all the lame stuff is now spelled out in front of me so I don't waste my time re-downloading it. Since it's all in order by when I purchased it, it's easy to jump to where I need to be in the list.

As for people wanting to hide the purchases, how'd your wife not notice them on your credit card bill? If she didn't notice/care then, why would she now?

milo
Jun 7, 2011, 11:52 AM
I doubt they have two versions of each song I bet they have some sort of script that converts it when the file is requested from a person that got screwed with the DRM version.

I doubt it, but that way would still be more work than just handing out the 256 versions. Why even bother to deal with 128 any more, makes zero sense.

Not sure if I'm reading this right, but burning 128Kbps files to CD and then importing them at a higher bit rate doesn't upgrade the sound quality.

I assume they meant burn to CD, rip, then subscribe to iTunes Match and get the 256 file. Which would work but would be a ridiculous pain.

I assume people who pay the $25 will just have the option to get the 256 versions. Or apple will come to their senses then and just make everything 256.

I really cant understand how people are thinking this iTunes in the cloud is soooo great. It's not.

I really can't understand how people would think that being able to redownload songs and being able to pull down songs wirelessly on the go isn't better than not being able to do those things.

Is already 64 bit support LOL

But only in the developer beta, not the public release.

redfirebird08
Jun 7, 2011, 11:55 AM
Not sure if I'm reading this right, but burning 128Kbps files to CD and then importing them at a higher bit rate doesn't upgrade the sound quality. It's still 128kbps at best because burning it to CD doesn't create a source file that either matches what it would have been native on CD (had you purchased the music on CD) or if you were doing the same with a 256Kbps file. All the burn to CD and then re-import would do is get rid of the DRM in the imported version. You would gain nothing by importing it at anything more than 128Kbps if the original was the same.

I think he's referring to the concept of upgrading through iTunes Match. If iTunes Match is even a download service and if it doesn't upgrade 128 kbps DRM tracks, then the person can burn it to CD, rip it back to their library at 128 kbps, and then use iTunes Match to get the 256 kbps version. That is if iTunes Match ends up being a download service. I think they will nix the download idea and turn it into a streaming service by the time it launches in a few months.

iEvolution
Not available until the fall. I suspect they will nix the idea of downloads and turn it into a streaming service.

Not while
a) coverage not being consistent with carriers
b) the outrageous prices for bandwidth..wireless carriers are literally stuck in 1995 where it was on a per hour basis charge only now its GB.

Streaming technologies aren't ready for the limelight in my opinion, this is probably why apple opt for downloading instead.

Besides streaming would completely kill the "PC Free" syncing with the iOS line.

southernpaws

Serious concern!

This should do until Apple comes up with a solution. (http://www.amazon.com/Communication-Marriage-Practical-Fulfilling-Relationship/dp/0830725334)

TheFatWookie
Jun 7, 2011, 11:58 AM

Sadly this costs 30 cents per song to upgrade and even more sadly is that it does not work very well. I have 87 songs in my library that were purchased from iTunes that are "Not Avialable" for the DRM free iTunes Plus upgrade. In a support email I received from Apple, I was told that only song titles that were approved by the record labels were available for upgrade. The funny part, all 87 songs have higher quility DRM free version on iTunes now, but because they are on different albums, etc. they still don't show up as iTunes Plus upgrtade avialable to my account.

Blueline29
Jun 7, 2011, 12:00 PM
So beyond excited for the ability to re-download previously purchased stuff. I had an external hard drive eat itself a few summers ago and lost I don't even know how many episodes of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and The Office, not to mention random songs and videos and albums. I'd re-purchased a few things but not many, so I'm gonna jump all over this!

newagemac
Jun 7, 2011, 12:00 PM

Serious concern!

I don't get it. YOU decided to share an iTunes account with other people. What do you think it meant? You do realize that they could have contacted support to get this kind of information anyway correct? And in the App store they could already go and see what was available to be installed for free.

I have never understood why anyone would share an Apple ID with other people when it is free to create an account and since with the iTunes Home Sharing feature introduced a while ago you can easily share purchases amongst each other anyway without having to make multiple purchases.

HobeSoundDarryl
Jun 7, 2011, 12:01 PM
I think he's referring to the concept of upgrading through iTunes Match. If iTunes Match is even a download service and if it doesn't upgrade 128 kbps DRM tracks, then the person can burn it to CD, rip it back to their library at 128 kbps, and then use iTunes Match to get the 256 kbps version. That is if iTunes Match ends up being a download service. I think they will nix the download idea and turn it into a streaming service by the time it launches in a few months.

I see and yes, I think iTunes Match will prove to be a stream-only service. It is the only option that will keep the $25 coming in if everyone is allowed to upgrade everything they got and then download permanent copies on their local iTunes library.

iEvolution
Jun 7, 2011, 12:02 PM
So beyond excited for the ability to re-download previously purchased stuff. I had an external hard drive eat itself a few summers ago and lost I don't even know how many episodes of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and The Office, not to mention random songs and videos and albums. I'd re-purchased a few things but not many, so I'm gonna jump all over this!

Can't do it with videos sadly...well tv shows and movies..music videos are re-downloadable.

blueroom
Jun 7, 2011, 12:02 PM
I have never understood why anyone would share an Apple ID with other people when it is free to create an account and with Home Sharing you can easily share purchases amongst each other anyway without having to make multiple purchases.

How do you share apps with multiple Apple IDs?

HobeSoundDarryl
Jun 7, 2011, 12:03 PM
Not while
a) coverage not being consistent with carriers
b) the outrageous prices for bandwidth..wireless carriers are literally stuck in 1995 where it was on a per hour basis charge only now its GB.

Streaming technologies aren't ready for the limelight in my opinion, this is probably why apple opt for downloading instead.

Besides streaming would completely kill the "PC Free" syncing with the iOS line.

Those are other reasons why THEY want it to be streaming: there's lots of money in it for Apple partners beyond the $25. As I posted elsewhere, I wouldn't be one bit surprised to find out that part of how iMatch got to $25 is because AT&T and Verizon kicked in some cash. Stream it all from the iCloud is very big money for them. Download updated files once for only $25 and each person might beat the 3G connection toll by continuing to do things as they've always done them (sync and/or only stream via free wifi).

TheFatWookie
Jun 7, 2011, 12:05 PM
Bummer. However, we'll have to wait to find out if the same is true with iTunes match. $25 to upgrade all those old songs is a much better deal than the 30˘ per song way they want you to do it now. Whether iTunes match will allow you to upgrade those songs has yet to be seen. It's pretty obvious that Apple wasn't going to do it for free, though it would be nice.

Also, just roundabout thinking here... It sounds like it would be possible to rip a CD of those songs, then reimport to iTunes in a crappy MP3 format and have it treat them like like third party MP3s with iTunes match.

I see no reason why this would not work. Nice workaround.

WestonHarvey1
Jun 7, 2011, 12:14 PM

You know, it could be just that they've developed this system in a very literal way - it may simply be going out and getting exactly the same item you bought based on a unique identifier. Some translation or upgrade layer on their back end would have added complexity to an elegant solution.

kingsmuse
Jun 7, 2011, 12:15 PM

I don`t believe you have to.

Jobs said in the keynote yesterday these things can be shared trough the cloud by different users.

I`d advise you not to use the same account actually.

John.B
Jun 7, 2011, 12:16 PM

Apple Support: Home Sharing Support
http://www.apple.com/support/homesharing/

iTunes: Setting up Home Sharing on your computer
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4620

Understanding Home Sharing
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3819

Bigdaddyguido
Jun 7, 2011, 12:16 PM
Wirelessly posted (Iphone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have never understood why anyone would share an Apple ID with other people when it is free to create an account and with Home Sharing you can easily share purchases amongst each other anyway without having to make multiple purchases.

In the advanced tab in iTunes, turn on home sharing. Have both machines or iTunes accounts log into the sane home network. From there, you can share anything in your library, music, books, apps etc. If you go to the apps section from the other users iTunes, you can sort the list by apps you don't have on that account. Then you just click to download them.

I may have mistitled a step or two, I'm not near my computer to see the exact names for all of the process.

Edit- John b answered better

edwurtle
Jun 7, 2011, 12:17 PM
Currently there are only 2 options for iPhone:

1. Turn on automatic song downloads
2.Turn off automatic song downloads

With the restrictive storage of an iPhone many people can only use option 2 which defeats the purpose of iCloud (getting away from syncing with a mac).

There needs to be a iCloud app where you can decide which playlists, artists, songs, etc to keep sync with the device. Why force us to sync with mac in order to adjust these settings, if all the music is in the cloud?

iRobby
Jun 7, 2011, 12:19 PM

Because it is BETA iTunes Update doesn't acknowledge it as a regular update you need to download it from Apple.com

edwurtle
Jun 7, 2011, 12:20 PM
I don`t believe you have to.

Jobs said in the keynote yesterday these things can be shared trough the cloud by different users.

I`d advise you not to use the same account actually.

I wish that was true for everything, but Steve only mentioned calendar sharing. There was no indication of sharing any other part of the cloud.

newagemac
Jun 7, 2011, 12:20 PM

You just set up Home Sharing with one Apple ID on everyone's computer or device. But then in iTunes on computers and iDevices you keep everyone on their own Apple ID. Apple does not use the Home Sharing ID for purchases or anything. It is only used to link up multiple computers. Sort of like a master account. You can even create an entirely different Apple ID for Home Sharing if you want to.

The bottom line is each person in your family can have their own iTunes accounts with their own Apple IDs and share purchases (and non purchases) among either other with Home Sharing. You can even set it up to work automatically.

If you have an ATV2, this also allows you to get multiple different iTunes libraries under different accounts to show up at the same time.

DocNYz
Jun 7, 2011, 12:22 PM

With the restrictive storage of an iPhone many people can only use option 2 which defeats the purpose of iCloud (getting away from syncing with a mac).

There needs to be a iCloud app where you can decide which playlists, artists, songs, etc to keep sync with the device. Why force us to sync with mac in order to adjust these settings, if all the music is in the cloud?

A) you're completely wrong.
B) In addition to music, you can also turn on/off auto download for apps and books
C) just go into the iTunes app on your iOS device and through that you can re-download individual songs to save space if you must.

DocNYz
Jun 7, 2011, 12:23 PM
Because it is BETA iTunes Update doesn't acknowledge it as a regular update you need to download it from Apple.com

It worked for me through Software Update (in the US) automatically when I woke up this morning.

Bigdaddyguido
Jun 7, 2011, 12:23 PM

Yeah, this is obviously true. I'm sure apple will hash it out before this comes out of beta.

John.B
Jun 7, 2011, 12:25 PM
30 cents per song (plus tax) to upgrade is a ripoff.

I think that was the peace offering/blood money (depending on who you ask! LOL!) in the "drop the damned DRM already" negotiations with the record labels.

http://images.macworld.com/images/news/graphics/160359-wwdc2011_032_slide.jpg (http://www.macworld.com/article/160341/2011/06/wwdc_keynote_2011.html?lsrc=top_1)

If nothing else, this deserves an Apple tech note to explain the situation.

iRobby
Jun 7, 2011, 12:31 PM

in the Fall release there is a "Share" feature Steve showed it during the keynote he used the calendar as a demo

OddyOh
Jun 7, 2011, 12:33 PM

Well normally you have to pay the 40 cent 'upgrade fee' per song...nothing has changed in this regard.

pbush25
Jun 7, 2011, 12:36 PM
im running the 10.5 beta build, but I don't see anything with iCloud in it.. only the 10.3 has it?

The beta build doesn't have anything with iCloud in it either. It has the same functionality as iTunes 10.3, allowing for apps and music things in the cloud, but the real difference is the ability to wireless sync and set up which you need if you're running iOS 5 on your iDevice.

By the way, let me tell you, it's beautiful guys... I couldn't have asked for a better upgrade. It's still a little slow, and buggy, but it's the first beta build, what else could you expect?

eoin3-
Jun 7, 2011, 12:40 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

I'm so upset. My MacBook died right before The 4.3 updates so I'm stuck in 4.2.1 until I can afford a new computer... Can anyone suggest a way to update my IOS?

DocNYz
Jun 7, 2011, 12:40 PM
The beta build doesn't have anything with iCloud in it either. It has the same functionality as iTunes 10.3, allowing for apps and music things in the cloud, but the real difference is the ability to wireless sync and set up which you need if you're running iOS 5 on your iDevice.

By the way, let me tell you, it's beautiful guys... I couldn't have asked for a better upgrade. It's still a little slow, and buggy, but it's the first beta build, what else could you expect?

That's great to know, hopefully enough devs will point out the bugs and we'll have a snappy, nearly flawless release (download) in less than a month!

kppolich
Jun 7, 2011, 12:43 PM

16GB iphone4 for 147.00 at walmart, stop complaining about the price already.

DocNYz
Jun 7, 2011, 12:45 PM
16GB iphone4 for 147.00 at walmart, stop complaining about the price already.

Haha seriously. Also I'm pretty sure that the like 50 down votes and the fact that he's a newbie means it's not even worth acknowledging his post.

Not to mention the 3gs is like 50 bucks at att.

edwurtle
Jun 7, 2011, 12:47 PM
A) you're completely wrong.
B) In addition to music, you can also turn on/off auto download for apps and books
C) just go into the iTunes app on your iOS device and through that you can re-download individual songs to save space if you must.

A) What did I say was wrong?
B) I know this, but I was only specifically talking about music.
C) I understand, but this solution is not very elegant

You did not understand my point. I rotate my library on and off my iPhone: basically 1/4 of the library is removed and replaced every few weeks. I currently do this by adjusting sync settings in itunes on macbook and re-syncing.

How will I be able to do this with JUST the iPhone and iCloud? From the keynote, iCloud was to replace macbook as the "syncing hub"... but there is no solution if you want to drastically adjust your synced songs. I could use your "C) method" and download song by song by song... but you see how painful that would be?

DocNYz
Jun 7, 2011, 12:52 PM
How will I be able to do this with JUST the iPhone and iCloud? From the keynote, iCloud was to replace macbook as the "syncing hub"... but there is no solution if you want to drastically adjust your synced songs. I could use your "C) method" and download song by song by song... but you see how painful that would be?

I do the same thing as you actually (rotating music every few days), so I'd suggest two things. Keep doing it as you currently do, by connecting to your computer and manually selecting the playlists you want on your phone/iOS device, since I doubt all of your music is only purchased through iTunes (since that's all you redownload at the moment anyway). Second, go to apple.com/feedback and suggest they add support for playlists etc. What they're doing with photos in the cloud is exactly that, doing the most recent photos so they know that concept is a good one, and if enough of us suggest the feedback there's plenty of time between now and the Fall when iOS 5 is out for changes to be made (they clearly listen to us, the new notification system is case in point :)).

Reach
Jun 7, 2011, 01:02 PM

Bummer for sure. Downloaded and was eager to sync some purchases across devices. No such luck...

If this service doesn't become international, I think Apple has really messed up. I've been pretty loyal to iTunes despite not being able to get TV shows and movies etc., but this functionality really has to come here too.. Of course, they could just have iTunes be a US-only service, and I guess I'd finally have to look for good alternatives.

the8thark
Jun 7, 2011, 01:15 PM
http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/
Limit 25,000 songs. iTunes purchases do not count against limit.
Is this 25K per year or 25K forever and no more after that?

bman1209
Jun 7, 2011, 01:21 PM
does anyone know if you need ios 4.3 to make this new feature work?

AjeeB
Jun 7, 2011, 01:23 PM
dudez is this version safe for jailbreakers !! :eek: :p
any confirm !?!

BR

sectime
Jun 7, 2011, 01:37 PM
Bummer for sure. Downloaded and was eager to sync some purchases across devices. No such luck...

If this service doesn't become international, I think Apple has really messed up. I've been pretty loyal to iTunes despite not being able to get TV shows and movies etc., but this functionality really has to come here too.. Of course, they could just have iTunes be a US-only service, and I guess I'd finally have to look for good alternatives.
I'm sure it is nothing to do with different laws in other countries. Enjoy whatever you choose.

Hueyfreeman
Jun 7, 2011, 01:38 PM
Could apple maybe stop pushing updates to itunes and fix on the windows side first. I Mean it is pretty bad on this side of the fence and there is no excuse why it has been running this bad for years. I would really like to see them fix it rather then adding to the problem.

jhwalker
Jun 7, 2011, 01:45 PM
http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/

Is this 25K per year or 25K forever and no more after that?

Definitely a question for me. I have 45k tracks now and probably 400-500 CDs yet to rip :/ Probably only a couple thousand of those purchased via iTunes, several thousand more Amazon MP3s and the rest ripped from my CD collection.

zachkolk
Jun 7, 2011, 01:46 PM
If you have an Apple TV, don’t download the update. After I updated to iTunes 10.3, my Apple TV no longer finds my iMac & my iMac can’t find my Apple TV.

jhwalker
Jun 7, 2011, 01:48 PM
I was just catching up some tracks I'd lost / misplaced over the years on my home "server". Was able easily to download about 100 tracks missing from one account, but when I switched to the other account (my partner's), got an "error" message to the effect that "this machine is already associated with another iTunes ID - you must wait 90 days to download past purchases from another ID". :(

That is going to be a major pain unless they develop a way to pool authorized IDs like they do for home sharing.

hokiepokie07
Jun 7, 2011, 02:20 PM
How do you download the past purchases?

I downloaded iTunes 10.3, but it seems exactly the same.

shuggy1972
Jun 7, 2011, 02:25 PM
I don't get it. YOU decided to share an iTunes account with other people. What do you think it meant? You do realize that they could have contacted support to get this kind of information anyway correct? And in the App store they could already go and see what was available to be installed for free.

I have never understood why anyone would share an Apple ID with other people when it is free to create an account and since with the iTunes Home Sharing feature introduced a while ago you can easily share purchases amongst each other anyway without having to make multiple purchases.

Could be many reasons. Here are a few of mine:

1) Because my wife is a freelance journalist and we can write off her purchases of music, video etc against our JOINT tax return. So we want all purchases made with our JOINT credit card to be tied to an invoice which comes with HER name on it. Only way to do this is for us to share an Apple ID for purchases.

2) Because we've been buying content from Apple for long, long before Home Sharing was introduced.

3) Because we each had Apple IDs for purchases prior to meeting one another (over 7 years ago!), then got a mobile me family pack to synchronize our respective email, calanders etc to our individual devices (ipad in my case, iphone in hers) but wanted to share subsets of an itunes library (music, video) and of an iphoto library which is kept at home on a mac mini which acts as our enterainment server - so we use a shared Apple ID for purchases on the Mac Mini, and on the iphone and ipad, but have our individual mobile me accounts set up to sync email etc on the devices.

My particular concern is with 3). When Mobile Me is discontinued, it is not clear to me if/how we would be able to continue to sync our individual email, contacts etc to our devices while maintaining a shared library of itunes content.

Personally I have no issues with my wife seeing my purchase history (or me seeing hers) from our shared Apple ID. But I DO have an issue with having to merge the separate syncing we currently get from Mobile Me (and which ties to our individual Mobile Me addresses) with a shared sync of itunes content (which appears to have to tie to one Apple ID).

jhwalker
Jun 7, 2011, 02:28 PM
How do you download the past purchases?

I downloaded iTunes 10.3, but it seems exactly the same.

Go to the iTunes Store. On the Home page, see the Quick Links section, select "Purchased (NEW)" link (about half-way down, on the right hand side). Click on that, it will be obvious from there.

Reach
Jun 7, 2011, 02:39 PM
I'm sure it is nothing to do with different laws in other countries. Enjoy whatever you choose.

The wording on the iCloud-page makes it seem reasonable to hope that this US-only thing is only for the beta.

I don't think the tv/movie exclusion is about laws, but about negotiations about rights in different zones etc.? (As in the right-holders being the problem, not laws.)

Forgot about books, also US only when Apple does it, while Amazon seems to be able to sell me books..

satkin2
Jun 7, 2011, 02:46 PM

I'm in the UK and have downloaded it, going to check for updates didn't work, however I was able to download 10.3 from the iTunes site online.

It appears that us UK users don't have the purchased music option at the moment, probably due to licencing agreements, but we can see Apps and iBooks.

Nice addition to browse and download iBooks via iTunes now, it's a shame we can't read them on our Macs though.

chorikawa321
Jun 7, 2011, 02:48 PM
Books was in the iTunes store was in iTunes 10.2.2.

John.B
Jun 7, 2011, 02:52 PM
Could apple maybe stop pushing updates to itunes and fix on the windows side first. I Mean it is pretty bad on this side of the fence and there is no excuse why it has been running this bad for years. I would really like to see them fix it rather then adding to the problem.
Maybe the whole iCloud sync thing could allow them to cut the feature bloat from iTunes and have it go back to be, oh, I don't know, maybe a music player? Just sayin'...

chorikawa321
Jun 7, 2011, 02:53 PM
Could be many reasons. Here are a few of mine:

1) Because my wife is a freelance journalist and we can write off her purchases of music, video etc against our JOINT tax return. So we want all purchases made with our JOINT credit card to be tied to an invoice which comes with HER name on it. Only way to do this is for us to share an Apple ID for purchases.

2) Because we've been buying content from Apple for long, long before Home Sharing was introduced.

3) Because we each had Apple IDs for purchases prior to meeting one another (over 7 years ago!), then got a mobile me family pack to synchronize our respective email, calanders etc to our individual devices (ipad in my case, iphone in hers) but wanted to share subsets of an itunes library (music, video) and of an iphoto library which is kept at home on a mac mini which acts as our enterainment server - so we use a shared Apple ID for purchases on the Mac Mini, and on the iphone and ipad, but have our individual mobile me accounts set up to sync email etc on the devices.

My particular concern is with 3). When Mobile Me is discontinued, it is not clear to me if/how we would be able to continue to sync our individual email, contacts etc to our devices while maintaining a shared library of itunes content.

Personally I have no issues with my wife seeing my purchase history (or me seeing hers) from our shared Apple ID. But I DO have an issue with having to merge the separate syncing we currently get from Mobile Me (and which ties to our individual Mobile Me addresses) with a shared sync of itunes content (which appears to have to tie to one Apple ID).

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/251643_2123530527351_1218481274_2595765_2702061_n.jpg

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4597

shuggy1972
Jun 7, 2011, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the link, chorikawa321. I had read that information previously, and I am pleased that the syncing of email, cals etc which we currently use Mobile Me to perform will be supported under iCloud.

However (and don't get me wrong, I am a big Apple supporter and have enjoyed using their products and services for many years) there are some really important questions which I hope we'll find out the answers to in the coming months:

1) For users with Family Packs on Mobile Me, will sign up to iCloud involve creation of separate accounts, or can accounts somehow be linked in the way they can with MM family pack?

2) If accounts must be separate in order to support individual syncing of email, cal etc, is there a way to nevertheless share itunes content on a single Apple ID? In other words, can I continue to have my and my wife's devices set up as they currently are - with each having an individual Mobile Me ID which will sync email etc, but ALSO with each using a common Apple ID for itunes content? There's nothing in the support doc you posted which gives me any comfort that this will be the case.

Having scanned these threads I can see I am far from being the only long-time Apple user with similar concerns about shared Apple ID's, and multiple/family pack mobile me accounts. I have to hope that means Apple will have some sort of plan to help us make the transition, but at present there appears to be very little information.

satkin2
Jun 7, 2011, 03:17 PM
As a book publisher, I'm THRILLED that our iBookstore titles can now also be browsed in iTunes. Thank you, Apple!

As a publisher, how would you feel about your iBooks being readable on Macs along with iOS devices?

All of the iCloud features are designed to sync with all Apple devices, be it iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad or Mac. The only feature I saw that didn't do this was the iBooks section which did seem a little odd given that Steve referred to even the Macs being treated as just another device now.

MartiNZ
Jun 7, 2011, 03:42 PM
Cool to hear 64-bit iTunes -is- coming, one less thing for people to field complaints about around here! I wonder if they will do the same for other iLife apps through updates post-Lion; else it may be a while with the current '11 moniker. iWork I can definitely see being updated, although Pages was shown working with a lot of the new Lion features at the keynote anyway.

Having apps history in iTunes is really nice - used to always worry when downloading an app again from ages ago, would it remember.... If they could sort out consistency with the 'Buy' vs 'Get' button in the password confirmation dialog that would be nice. Music, well, maybe it will happen here one day; it certainly has more reason to than books - will the iBookStore -ever- go beyond the free classics?

Zimmy68
Jun 7, 2011, 03:51 PM
64 bit iTunes has been coming for 5 years.
I'll believe it when I see it.
They will throw millions at certain problems but won't touch(recode) the bloated mess that is a long in the tooth iTunes program.

BTW, I noticed something interesting in the purchase history in iTunes that I hope is fixed.

If you acquired any songs free via a promotion or special, they don't count as purchased on multiple devices.

I see the "Just Like Starting Over (2010)" on the iTunes I downloaded it from, when Apple offered it for free, but it doesn't show up in my iPad as a prior purchase.

I own the song, shouldn't I be able to download it again if I lose it?

ten-oak-druid
Jun 7, 2011, 04:38 PM
Apple got a little sloppy.

They didn't ask me for my password to install the update.

BTW, I noticed something interesting in the purchase history in iTunes that I hope is fixed.

If you acquired any songs free via a promotion or special, they don't count as purchased on multiple devices.

I see the "Just Like Starting Over (2010)" on the iTunes I downloaded it from, when Apple offered it for free, but it doesn't show up in my iPad as a prior purchase.

I own the song, shouldn't I be able to download it again if I lose it?

^^
You also don't get to "complete the album" for less money with free promotional songs either. That should be changed.

cburton
Jun 7, 2011, 05:02 PM
I downloaded and installed 10.3. When I go to "Purchased" in the store it shows me stuff that I imported from CD as being available for download when I select "Not In My Library". But they are in fact in my library ... what gives?

ten-oak-druid
Jun 7, 2011, 05:14 PM
If you have an Apple TV, don’t download the update. After I updated to iTunes 10.3, my Apple TV no longer finds my iMac & my iMac can’t find my Apple TV.

Oh man really? I will check this to see if it happened to me. I will wait to update the other computer.

Update: I just checked it out. I am able to stream from the computer with ATV after the update.

Try rejoining the ATV to the airport network. It doesn't make sense but sometimes this helps. I had switched cable modems recently and for some reason I couldn't use airplay to my ATV or Airport express until I restarted the express units and rejoined the ATV to the network. I know it makes no sense but I did that and it worked.

outaspaceman
Jun 7, 2011, 05:14 PM
I'm, sort of, glad we can't download past music purchases here in the U.K. yet.
I'd hate to be reminded of all the embarrassing stuff I bought then deleted:o

techy298
Jun 7, 2011, 06:10 PM
Is anyone getting error message -50?

Eduardo1971
Jun 7, 2011, 06:18 PM
I'm, sort of, glad we can't download past music purchases here in the U.K. yet.
I'd hate to be reminded of all the embarrassing stuff I bought then deleted:o

I would love that because I'm wondering how 'Two Become One' by the Spice Girls ended up in my purchased history.
:o

Danoc
Jun 7, 2011, 06:59 PM
On the iPad, I don't see the Purchases tab in iTunes? Is this normal? I have it in the App Store.

iOS 4.3.

Jman6439
Jun 7, 2011, 08:19 PM
I'm not sure if anyone caught onto this, but iTunes 10.5 seems to be running in 64-bit. Even the "about" menu for iTunes indicates 10.5 beta 64-bit.

Does anyone else see this?

TsMkLg068426
Jun 7, 2011, 08:20 PM

Yep fail on Apples part for that, you would think by now they would just let you update to higher quality without DRM for free since you already purchased once but they still are forcing you to repurchase for discounted price which I still find it ridiculous because I already paid 99 cents a song or $9.99 for a album (this was when Record Labels had no control over pricing, miss those days). But I do like that I am able to re-download all my old music but I tested by deleting a song I purchased and it did not work it only worked with the ones I did not have on my iTunes, odd.

DocNYz
Jun 7, 2011, 09:30 PM
Oh man really? I will check this to see if it happened to me. I will wait to update the other computer.

Update: I just checked it out. I am able to stream from the computer with ATV after the update.

Try rejoining the ATV to the airport network. It doesn't make sense but sometimes this helps. I had switched cable modems recently and for some reason I couldn't use airplay to my ATV or Airport express until I restarted the express units and rejoined the ATV to the network. I know it makes no sense but I did that and it worked.

Yeah mine are working fine together with ATV.

c-ker
Jun 7, 2011, 09:52 PM
I still cannot read an iBook I recently bought on my Mac. Only iPh and iPd. Google Books and Kindle ahead of Apple in this regard.

applesith
Jun 7, 2011, 10:11 PM
Downloading and upgrading now!! Excited!

ten-oak-druid
Jun 7, 2011, 10:13 PM
Yeah mine are working fine together with ATV.

I have a macbook and a macbook pro that work with the ATV. The macbook that I just updated itunes on gets buggy. The AppleTV will access itunes on it. But later it stalls out. But I can push stuff to the ATV. So far it looks like after the update of itunes on the macbook that the ATV is repeatedly accessing it better. Well the first attempt it stalled out. But I switched the ATV form the single channel network over to the dual channel and I was able to reach the macbook multiple times and stream from it. I'll see if it continues to be better. It hasn't mattered which network I was on in the past. The problem was with the macbook only and not the MBP.

kjs862
Jun 7, 2011, 10:40 PM
So I need an ePub reader to be able to read books that I downloaded from iTunes. Any suggestions?

kockgunner
Jun 7, 2011, 11:03 PM
I don't get the point of 10.3. The automatic downloading worked with the version before too.

hokiepokie07
Jun 7, 2011, 11:05 PM
Is it possible to delete items from my "purchased" section on iTunes?

For example, many of the apps I have on it I don't want downloaded again, but is there a way to just delete them for good?

ten-oak-druid
Jun 7, 2011, 11:06 PM
I don't get the point of 10.3. The automatic downloading worked with the version before too.

You can access all purchased items and download them again. Remember when it would suggest that you back up all purchased media in case you lose it? You don't have to now as it is available for download again.

I just realized though that I sometimes change tags on my songs from what they originally were. I hope Apple eventually lets you upload the tags you enter so that if you need to download again, all the changes you have made are there.

caspersoong
Jun 8, 2011, 02:15 AM
Too bad no documents on iCloud.

jmull
Jun 8, 2011, 02:55 AM
I have a iTunes library of about 5000 tracks on this computer and a little Mac Mini serving up almost 17000 tracks and downloaded the new iTunes. Nothing happened. They should make something happen next time.

ten-oak-druid
Jun 8, 2011, 12:37 PM
I have a macbook and a macbook pro that work with the ATV. The macbook that I just updated itunes on gets buggy. The AppleTV will access itunes on it. But later it stalls out. But I can push stuff to the ATV. So far it looks like after the update of itunes on the macbook that the ATV is repeatedly accessing it better. Well the first attempt it stalled out. But I switched the ATV form the single channel network over to the dual channel and I was able to reach the macbook multiple times and stream from it. I'll see if it continues to be better. It hasn't mattered which network I was on in the past. The problem was with the macbook only and not the MBP.

Update: The problem is still there with the macbook. I really do not understand it. One computer has no problem. The other gets lost by the appletv. The ATV sees the macbook but it stalls out trying to access the data. Or at times like this morning it tells me there is no content and how to purchase songs or video from the store. Restarting itunes fixes it for a while. I wonder if there is some corrupted file in the user library?