Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

itunes_10_icon_150.jpg

Yesterday, we noted that Apple had begun promoting availability of iTunes 10.3 on its main iTunes site but that the actual download page was still serving up iTunes 10.2.2 and that Software Update had yet to begin offering the new version to users.

A few hours later, iTunes 10.3 did in fact become available for download, bringing compatibility with some early iCloud features making their way to iOS devices.
What's new in iTunes 10.3

Introducing iTunes in the Cloud beta. The music you purchase in iTunes appears automatically on all your devices. You can also download your past iTunes purchases. Where you want, when you want.

- Automatic Downloads. Purchase music from any device or computer and automatically download a copy to your Mac and iOS devices.

- Download Previous Purchases. Download your past music purchases again at no additional cost. Your purchases are available in the iTunes Store on your Mac or in the iTunes app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Previous purchases may be unavailable if they are no longer on the iTunes Store.

iTunes 10.3 also adds Books to the iTunes Store, where you can discover and buy your favorite books on your computer and automatically download them to iBooks on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

This version also allows you to use Automatic Downloads with apps and books or download previously purchased apps and books from your computer or iOS device.
iTunes 10.3 is available in a Mac version for systems running Mac OS X Leopard or later, as well as in 32-bit and 64-bit versions for Windows.

A separate iTunes 10.5 release will ultimately bring full support for iCloud and iOS 5 later this year, and an initial beta of that version has been seeded to developers for testing alongside the other forthcoming software offerings.

Article Link: iTunes 10.3 Now Available for Download

macbwizard

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
I love being able to download my old songs that somehow got lost along the way.

Interesting note: If the songs were purchased at 128kbps w/ DRM, they redownload the same way. This shouldn't have surprised me, but it did.

Samuriajackon

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
I love being able to download my old songs that somehow got lost along the way.

Interesting note: If the songs were purchased at 128kbps w/ DRM, they redownload the same way. This shouldn't have surprised me, but it did.

Woot, time to start working for iCloud for DROID....for those of us who can't afford an iPhone.

GreenFreaK

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Redownloading

The re-downloading feature is awesome! That way in case something happens or you lose your music, you don't have to pay again! This is also very useful for people that share iTunes accounts - hell the iCloud is perfect for that! Say a friend buys a song, you'd get it instantly on your device as well. :p

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
Books in iTunes!

I'm really pleased about Books being made available through iTunes on the Mac/PC. It was kinda clunky only being able to browse/find them on your iPad/iPod/iPhone...

RTP.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Cool just updated, I only purchased a couple albums through iTunes, but still nice.

AtomicEdge

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2009
Won't show up here in UK???

wonder if its just for the USA at present? :confused: :mad:

The download is on the UK itunes site. The features only extend as far as Books and Apps for us though sadly. The Music part of all this is US only according to the apple site... :mad:

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Won't show up here in UK???

wonder if its just for the USA at present? :confused: :mad:

the way i found it was go into itunes and then the store

at the right is a new option called purchases, click this and it takes you to the download

jyoung96

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2010
im running the 10.5 beta build, but I don't see anything with iCloud in it.. only the 10.3 has it?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Be useful if you could actually open the Books on your Mac.
Also, why no viewing of ebooks via iTunes?
Because there is no iBooks for OS X. Provide feedback to Apple at OS X Feedback asking for an iBooks application and explain why it would be a good idea.

Part of the the suggestion could be how having iBooks on a Mac would make things easier for you.

Coleco

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2003
DRM stripping

I wonder if you subscribe to the music match if you can get a "free" upgrade of previously DRM'd songs purchased on iTunes.

Kinda bummed that the redownload option still is the old DRM'd files, but as someone else said, not surprised.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Cool. They should release iCloud features a little at a time. That way things don't get botched (a la MobileMe) when it really comes out. Next they should let us have the contacts, email, calendar. After than Photostream.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Woot, time to start working for iCloud for DROID....for those of us who can't afford an iPhone.

Why bother?? It'll just be another half-assed solution for the Android platform, that's "kinda like, but not really and not nearly as good" as the Apple solution.

You can't afford an iPhone? How much did you pay for your Droid? You can get a 3GS for $49.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
nothing at the software update yet.

Also I don't understand, iCloud will be available only if I have iDevice or just say my macbook?
I mean the services like me@me.com etc
I'm not sure what you're actually asking here. iOS 4.3.3 and iTunes 10.3 have the ability to re-download purchased items on all your devices (that meet the version requirements).

Full iCloud features will require iOS 5 and Lion.

As for current MobileMe email users, you should be able to access email as you currently do. Although there is a question of whether webmail will still be there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.