PDA

View Full Version : upgraded to ten four fox 4.0.2 video problems

kevin242
Jun 7, 2011, 12:16 PM
I could run most streaming videos on my g4 powerbook 1.25ghz without a problem. Now nothing works without tons of skipping. What can I do to maximize video performance? Im having trouble with youtube, ny times, ny post, ign.com.. anywhere there is a streaming video.

stroked
Jun 7, 2011, 12:27 PM
I could run most streaming videos on my g4 powerbook 1.25ghz without a problem. Now nothing works without tons of skipping. What can I do to maximize video performance? Im having trouble with youtube, ny times, ny post, ign.com.. anywhere there is a streaming video.

There are four different versions of tenfourfox. Are you sure you installed the right one?

kevin242
Jun 7, 2011, 10:00 PM
There are four different versions of tenfourfox. Are you sure you installed the right one?

I installed the 7450 one, the one for a g4 1.25mhz in my powerbook.

nickn
Jun 17, 2011, 10:33 AM
I can't help you with the other sites or even ten four fox but I do have a good way to watch YouTube. You need to use safari and have the develop menu enabled. You enable this by going to safari preferences and then the advanced tab and then check Show Develop menu in menu bar. Then open the develop menu on the top right of the screen and click user agent, then iPad. When you open YouTube, videos will play in QuickTime on the YouTube page and you will still be able to see comments and have a nice browsing experience.

kevin242
Jun 22, 2011, 01:23 PM
I can't help you with the other sites or even ten four fox but I do have a good way to watch YouTube. You need to use safari and have the develop menu enabled. You enable this by going to safari preferences and then the advanced tab and then check Show Develop menu in menu bar. Then open the develop menu on the top right of the screen and click user agent, then iPad. When you open YouTube, videos will play in QuickTime on the YouTube page and you will still be able to see comments and have a nice browsing experience.

Thanks I tried your tip and youtube is working in high quality with no issues!

AdrianK
Jun 22, 2011, 03:40 PM

While that works; it will interfere with some sites best displayed as the desktop version. A better approach would be to use the ClickToFlash extension for Safari to force the HTML5 player for YouTube and any site with YouTube videos embedded.

kevin242
Jun 23, 2011, 09:03 PM
While that works; it will interfere with some sites best displayed as the desktop version. A better approach would be to use the ClickToFlash extension for Safari to force the HTML5 player for YouTube and any site with YouTube videos embedded.

Thanks for the tip. Now that I have tried these two work arounds, I am switching back to Safari for my browsing!!! Is there a click to flash for Firefox? Does anyone know if they will make a Firefox 5.0 equivalent ten four fox?

nickn
Jun 23, 2011, 09:10 PM
Tenfour fox 5 has already been released. It seems a bit faster for me at least. You can dowload it from their site.

kevin242
Jun 24, 2011, 01:49 PM
to answer my own question, there is Flashbock which is the click to flash Ten four fox equivalent.

cocacolakid
Jun 24, 2011, 02:11 PM
Camino, which also has a specific build for your CPU, has built in flashblock and ad block in the preferences, but they have to be turned on. It's a very fast browser.

Also, no matter which browser you are using, make sure you've set Youtube to play the HTML version if it's available.

Just opt in at youtube.com/html5

Camino is at http://www.rpm-mozilla.org.uk/builds/camino/

adcx64
Jun 25, 2011, 11:14 PM
Camino is personally my favorite browser.

kevin242
Jun 26, 2011, 09:28 AM
Camino is personally my favorite browser.

It looks like I should give Camino a chance. It seems there is a lot more life left in my Powerbook than I realized.