PDA

View Full Version : OS X Lion Developer Preview 4 Adds 'Find My Mac'

MacRumors
Jun 7, 2011, 01:34 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/07/os-x-lion-developer-preview-4-adds-find-my-mac/)

Alongside yesterday's announcements (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/06/mac-os-x-lion-set-for-july-debut-priced-at-29-99-mac-app-store-exclusive/) related to OS X Lion, Apple pushed out a fourth developer preview version of the next-generation operation system set to make its public launch next month. Among the new features in this build of Lion is "Find My Mac", a feature similar to the one already in use for iOS devices.

Evidence for Find My Mac functionality in Lion had been building (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/31/more-find-my-mac-confirmation-in-mac-os-x-lion/), but the actual service is now finally showing its face. One user has provided screenshots of the system in action, showing first of all how Find My Mac can be enabled in System Preferences, revealing that feature allows users to lock the screen of a lost machine while allowing guest access only to Safari in order to help facilitate recovery of the machine.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/find_my_mac_dialog.jpg

The user also reveals how his MacBook Air could be located using the Find My iPhone app on his iPhone, offering the option to simply to play a sound or send a message to whoever may have found the machine or remotely lock or even wipe the machine.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/find_my_mac_found.jpg

And finally, the user shows what happens to a machine once remote lock has been initiated, displaying a gray screen with boxes to input the security code to unlock the machine.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/find_my_mac_lock_screen-500x317.jpg

(http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/find_my_mac_lock_screen.jpg)
OS X Lion is set to debut sometime next month as a Mac App Store exclusive priced at $29.99. The full suite of iCloud features is not set to debut until this fall alongside iOS 5, but some features such as purchased music/app/book histories are already rolling out and Find My Mac will presumably follow suit next month.

Article Link: OS X Lion Developer Preview 4 Adds 'Find My Mac' (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/07/os-x-lion-developer-preview-4-adds-find-my-mac/)

Jun 7, 2011, 01:38 PM
Can I ask how MR was able to secure exemption from the NDA?

Stevesbodyguard
Jun 7, 2011, 01:41 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's because they have so little info about the goings on at Apple their only chance of telling us anything we care about is to violate their non disclosure agreements. Its sites like this that kept the iPhone 5 out of the developers conference...and earthquakes, bombs, 4G, and Osama bin Laden.

G4er?
Jun 7, 2011, 01:43 PM
"Find My Mac"

I've been looking for my Mac for years but Apple still won't build it! :D

frjonah
Jun 7, 2011, 01:44 PM

...or maybe it's because this article was posted by the MacRumors Bot. Artificial Intelligence can't be bound by an NDA :)

marksman
Jun 7, 2011, 01:44 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why do you think Mac Rumors is a prty to the developers NDA?

jsw
Jun 7, 2011, 01:45 PM
You assume they signed an NDA. Why would they need to?

mikejd1
Jun 7, 2011, 01:45 PM
who loses a mac?

Dr McKay
Jun 7, 2011, 01:47 PM
who loses a mac?

When the thief takes it off you.

j-a-x
Jun 7, 2011, 01:47 PM
Does anybody know if the update was pushed via software update or is is a separate download?

Aduntu
Jun 7, 2011, 01:48 PM
The user providing the screenshots -- assuming they are a registered developer -- is subject to the developer NDA, not MacRumors.

taxiapple
who loses a mac?

Maybe you don't lose it, maybe someone might take it.

I think it is a great feature.

njaremka
how would this work? wouldn't a laptop need either gps, cellular data, or be located within a public wifi area in order to be found? no current mac has gps antennas, do they?

miles01110
Why does remote wipe prevent one from getting data back from the machine? I can understand remote wipe removing that ability, but remote lock is just a lock.

TallGuy1970
Jun 7, 2011, 01:52 PM
Finding my mac is one thing. Actually getting police interested enough is another.

Case in point - http://thisguyhasmymacbook.tumblr.com/

This guy gave the police all the information they needed to find the person who stole his laptop. The police did nothing until this guy's story went viral and was picked up by the national media. One call from Good Morning America and guess what? Police miraculously arrested the laptop thief.

Jun 7, 2011, 01:52 PM
You assume they signed an NDA. Why would they need to?

To get early access to the code to write articles? There are tons of bloggers who have done this. A lot of them are all ignoring the NDA and posting all kinds of stuff all over the internet.

Apple should at least terminate "developer accounts" of those who violate the terms they agreed. In the past Apple would really have made an example of some people.

I'd be very surprised if people on the MR staff don't have access to the developer program.

wackymacky
Jun 7, 2011, 01:54 PM
how would this work? wouldn't a laptop need either gps, cellular data, or be located within a public wifi area in order to be found? no current mac has gps antennas, do they?

I guess that when OSX 10.7 calls home it informs apple of the machines IP address, though, it would be up to the telco to provide it which may need a search warrant?

miles01110
Jun 7, 2011, 01:55 PM
I guess that when OSX 10.7 calls home it informs apple of the machines IP address, though, it would be up to the telco to provide it which may need a search warrant?

You wouldn't need the telco's cooperation to provide the IP; you'd need the telco's cooperation to tie the IP to a geographic location.

Small White Car
Jun 7, 2011, 01:56 PM

Many wifi networks know where they are. My wifi-only iPad can be found using 'find my iPhone' because it knows what network it's on. It's not exact but it's good enough to realize "oh, I accidentally left it at my mom's house when I left."

And really, the map function isn't all that important most of the time. When another family member has been using my iPad I usually have no clue what room it's in. I could wander around the house or I can just use the 'find' feature to make it play a sound.

It's super useful and I'll love it when I can do this with the Macbook too.

Apple should at least terminate "developer accounts" of those who violate the terms they agreed. In the past Apple would really have made an example of some people.

Ok, you figure out who captured those screen-shots and I'm sure Apple would love to hear from you.

Doctor Q
Jun 7, 2011, 01:59 PM
What if my guest thief prefers Firefox or Chrome? :p

Seriously, allowing guest access is a nice feature because sometimes the people who find lost computers are trying to return them, not steal them or their data.

You can already do something similar yourself, by setting up a guest login and putting a file with your "if lost" contact information on that account's desktop.

lighthouse_man
Finding my mac is one thing. Actually getting police interested enough is another.

What the police usually does in such cases is print you a copy of your complaint with which you can get the insurance, if you're covered, to cough up some money. They don't consider investing money and manpower to go after a laptop or phone thief, unless maybe they work in a very small community.

DCJ001
who loses a mac?

http://www.cultofmac.com/this-blogger-is-spying-on-the-creep-who-stole-his-macbook/97730

acslater017
Jun 7, 2011, 02:02 PM
Why does remote wipe prevent one from getting data back from the machine? I can understand remote wipe removing that ability, but remote lock is just a lock.

Wi-Fi networks and IP addresses I would think.

trims
Jun 7, 2011, 02:07 PM
Remote Wipe might be useful - e.g. if you lost (or had stolen) a MacBook which contained sensitive or confidential (financial or medical?) data.

But can't see how Remote Lock helps? The felon could simply wipe the disk and reinstall OS X. Maybe we're counting on villains being too dumb to do this?

O and A
Jun 7, 2011, 02:08 PM
I wonder if they can use a boot disk and use the password reset utility.

austinflynn
Jun 7, 2011, 02:13 PM

No, they don't, but Apple doesn't really need them to. They can use your IP address and reference the giant Skyhook-esque geolocation database they've been building with iPhone/iPad GPS user data.

Dr Kevorkian94
Jun 7, 2011, 02:14 PM
this is cool, i can imagine loosing my imac but if it gets stolen then it would be a good thing to have.

splashnader
Jun 7, 2011, 02:15 PM
who loses a mac?

Macbook Air's are just as susceptible to being left behind as an iPhone or iPad, perhaps more so. I know two friends that left their MBA's in a classroom. The computer is so light that it becomes harder to detect that it's not in your backpack than a normal size and weight laptop.

I would appreciate this feature very much, especially if I owned a MBA.

Ok, you figure out who captured those screen-shots and I'm sure Apple would love to hear from you.

They have no need for my help. If Apple wanted to go after people breaking their NDAs they could easily do it in many cases.

nicroma
It would be really cool if there was a button to retrieve files before doing the remote wipe.

Trouser Cough
Jun 7, 2011, 02:19 PM
I wonder if they can use a boot disk and use the password reset utility.

What boot disk ;)

goobot
Jun 7, 2011, 02:19 PM
will the tracker still work even if the lid is down?

neuropsychguy
Jun 7, 2011, 02:20 PM
It would be really cool if there was a button to retrieve files before doing the remote wipe.

That's the idea behind iCloud (or, at least it's going that way) and other backups (Time Machine). Ideally you shouldn't lose very much.

nicroma
Jun 7, 2011, 02:21 PM
That's the idea behind iCloud (or, at least it's going that way) and other backups (Time Machine). Ideally you shouldn't lose very much.

Good point. ;)

Pentad
Jun 7, 2011, 02:25 PM
Anybody else think it will be a slow download to get Lion the day it's released? That will be a great test to see how big Apple's pipes are. :-)

-P

twarner776
Jun 7, 2011, 02:27 PM
maybe a dumb question but if someone stole a mac i assume they could just insert OSX disc and reload. And speaking of reloading can I download 10.7 and then create a disk image so I can do a fresh install instead up update the os?

z3r0
Jun 7, 2011, 02:31 PM
I'm pretty sure a lier (I mean lawyer) could turn this around and paint MR as an accomplice for posting information that is not meant to be disclosed.

Wikileaks comes to mind.

The user providing the screenshots -- assuming they are a registered developer -- is subject to the developer NDA, not MacRumors.

Flaxxx
Jun 7, 2011, 02:37 PM
Does anybody know what happens to Back To My Mac?

robeddie
Jun 7, 2011, 02:42 PM
Because of this, now the first thing I would do after stealing a mac laptop will be to boot from a OS install disk, wipe the hard drive and do a completely fresh install.

John.B
Jun 7, 2011, 02:49 PM
If it helps me find my Sandy Bridge MBA with Thunderbolt port then I'm in. ;)

kwikdeth
Jun 7, 2011, 02:50 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Im curious how practical this would be without a GPS receiver in the laptop.

jonnysods
Jun 7, 2011, 02:52 PM
This is a great new feature.

logandzwon
Jun 7, 2011, 02:55 PM
Guys, that gray screen looks like the EFI screen. I imagine this feature locks the EFI, similar to the "firmware password" feature. The machine will not do anything without the passcode. Period. Even replacing the boot disk and resetting the PRAM/NVRAM will not convince it otherwise.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2391

Phil A.
Jun 7, 2011, 02:59 PM
What makes you think MacRumors have signed an NDA?

It's because they have so little info about the goings on at Apple their only chance of telling us anything we care about is to violate their non disclosure agreements. Its sites like this that kept the iPhone 5 out of the developers conference...and earthquakes, bombs, 4G, and Osama bin Laden.

Quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on MacRumors (and I've read some ridiculous things over the years...)

alent1234
Jun 7, 2011, 03:01 PM
Guys, that gray screen looks like the EFI screen. I imagine this feature locks the EFI, similar to the "firmware password" feature. The machine will not do anything without the passcode. Period. Even replacing the boot disk and resetting the PRAM/NVRAM will not convince it otherwise.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2391

is resetting EFI harder than doing it on a PC by flipping a jumper, taking out a battery or something like that? i only ask because Mac's are the easiest computers to steal now

Valdemar
Jun 7, 2011, 03:03 PM

Maybe, but pulling some ram might coax it into cooperating.

Phil A.
Jun 7, 2011, 03:09 PM

I guess that makes MBAs ultra secure then :)

mrkeithy
Jun 7, 2011, 03:11 PM
who loses a mac?

I never have, but it goes with me everywhere, my life is on it, i use it for work and play, this feature make me feel that little bit more secure

Atlantico
Jun 7, 2011, 03:13 PM
Call me crazy and all, but I don't like to have an OS with a built in remote wipe feature - besides, wiped data can be recovered (at least on HDs) if you really want to, so it isn't much of a crucial protection against data theft.

Perhaps this is marginally more useful on SSDs, but still.. I just don't like the fact that someone potentially could activate the remote wipe on my Mac.

logandzwon
Jun 7, 2011, 03:13 PM

well, true.

iPunish901
Jun 7, 2011, 03:19 PM
so many questions in this thread, not nearly enough answers :confused:

DTphonehome
Jun 7, 2011, 03:22 PM

Very smart feature. It'll definitely make Macs less attractive to thieves, and more attractive to corporate/medical customers.

pondosinatra
Jun 7, 2011, 03:26 PM
I don't really care as my Core 2 Duo iMac isn't supported.

And as Apple stopped selling matte displays for the iMac line I'll be on SL until the system craters - at which point I'll move to Linux or Windows.

Žalgiris
Jun 7, 2011, 03:27 PM
I don't really care as my Core 2 Duo iMac isn't supported.

And as Apple stopped selling matte displays for the iMac line I'll be on SL until the system craters - at which point I'll move to Linux or Windows.

Good luck.

RedReplicant
Jun 7, 2011, 03:30 PM

Im curious how practical this would be without a GPS receiver in the laptop.

http://samy.pl/mapxss/
Very accurate. I'm not talking about the exploit discussed in the page, just the mapping of a WAP mac address.

sicn
Jun 7, 2011, 03:31 PM
Good luck.

And on another note: Both spaces (as we knew it) and "Tap to drag" is gone... Lovely.

sclawis300
Jun 7, 2011, 03:36 PM

This guy gave the police all the information they needed to find the person who stole his laptop. The police did nothing until this guy's story went viral and was picked up by the national media. One call from Good Morning America and guess what? Police miraculously arrested the laptop thief.

If he knew anyone with any influence he could have gotten his computer back. Call the mayors office and put a little pressure on. The key is calling an elected official that will need your vote next election.

jeremiah256
Jun 7, 2011, 03:42 PM
Remote Wipe might be useful - e.g. if you lost (or had stolen) a MacBook which contained sensitive or confidential (financial or medical?) data.

But can't see how Remote Lock helps? The felon could simply wipe the disk and reinstall OS X. Maybe we're counting on villains being too dumb to do this?

Once locked I think your data is encrypted. You might not get your Mac or iOS device back but at least the thief can't access your data. Plus hopefully, while they're trying to figure out how to download a copy of Mac OS X and wipe the computer, the cops will tracking them down.

jeremiah256
Jun 7, 2011, 03:49 PM
If he knew anyone with any influence he could have gotten his computer back. Call the mayors office and put a little pressure on. The key is calling an elected official that will need your vote next election.

Might be missing something but you'd think the cops would rather take these kinds of calls. What's the normal success rate of tracking down a thief vs being handed an easy bust where the criminal is actually located for you on Google Maps and who's bust might lead to the solution of other crimes?

taxiapple
Jun 7, 2011, 03:57 PM
[QUOTE=pondosinatra;12707817]I don't really care as my Core 2 Duo iMac isn't supported."

Umm.....I thought Core 2 Duo was supported (or will be)

Le Big Mac
Jun 7, 2011, 04:14 PM
Maybe you don't lose it, maybe someone might take it.

I think it is a great feature.

Agree. Would be good if the lock screen included contact information so in case some thief sells it or ditches it there's some chance it ends up back in your hands.

Le Big Mac
Jun 7, 2011, 04:15 PM

Yeah--perhaps a "backup now and wipe" feature would finish this off nicely.

okboy
Jun 7, 2011, 04:20 PM
Great, so when the FBI raid my place looking for incriminating documents, I can wipe the computer even after they've taken it :)

trims
Jun 7, 2011, 04:22 PM
Once locked I think your data is encrypted. You might not get your Mac or iOS device back but at least the thief can't access your data. Plus hopefully, while they're trying to figure out how to download a copy of Mac OS X and wipe the computer, the cops will tracking them down.

I think you've been watching too much telly! Our local cops don't get too excited about stolen computers. You might get a 'crime number' for insurance purposes, if you're lucky.

Being able to deny access to sensitive data remotely is undoubtedly useful. But 'locking' the computer will not render it unusable to its 'new owner', sadly.

gorgeousninja
Jun 7, 2011, 04:32 PM
It's called iCloud... or have you not been paying attention?

Le Big Mac
Jun 7, 2011, 04:36 PM
Being able to deny access to sensitive data remotely is undoubtedly useful. But 'locking' the computer will not render it unusable to its 'new owner', sadly.

What it really needs is an "remote meltdown" option that leads to the computer's becoming physically inoperable.

AidenShaw
Jun 7, 2011, 04:43 PM
Agree. Would be good if the lock screen included contact information so in case some thief sells it or ditches it there's some chance it ends up back in your hands.

...to bring it to parity with my three year old Windows Phone....

cms2
Jun 7, 2011, 05:05 PM
it's odd that the laptop icon in the screenshot shows Tiger's default wallpaper... maybe because they haven't decided (or chosen to reveal what they've decided) on Lion's default wallpaper.

pondosinatra
Jun 7, 2011, 05:38 PM
[QUOTE=pondosinatra;12707817]I don't really care as my Core 2 Duo iMac isn't supported."

Umm.....I thought Core 2 Duo was supported (or will be)

I thought that too.....but then I read today on Anandtech that it's not. :(

Besides, even if it is supported, my system while definitely useable is far from snappy. Lion will only slow it down even more.

taxiapple
Jun 7, 2011, 05:48 PM
From Apple's page referring to Lion.....To upgrade on day one:
Step 1:
Make sure your Mac can run Lion.
Your Mac must have an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor to run Lion. Find out if your current Mac has one of these processors by clicking the Apple icon at the top left of your screen, then choosing About This Mac.

ethan028
Jun 7, 2011, 05:55 PM
How do i enable this? I just enabled it on iCloud but it doesn't show up on my MobileMe.

DaffyDuck
Jun 7, 2011, 06:12 PM

Why? If you don't have a backup OR you aren't using Dropbox for important documents OR you aren't using the new iCloud features then there's really no helping you.

ten-oak-druid
Jun 7, 2011, 06:30 PM
This needs to be part of the firmware to work. You want something that even a wipe of the OS won't affect and any reinstall will recognize.

On the other hand this sort of thing is creepy when you consider schools offering laptops to students. Did you hear about the school that was spying on kids at home through the camera? I think an administrator watching kids at home decided to suspend a kid over some activities he observed. Unbelievable. Make sure to tell your kids to cover cameras if they get a take home computer from school. And generally they should not use it for personal correspondence at all.

hellomoto4
Jun 7, 2011, 06:45 PM
How can I go about activating this?

Yes - I'm running DP4.

Supa_Fly
Jun 7, 2011, 06:48 PM
Wi-Fi networks and IP addresses I would think.

would it be so hard to implement a GPS chip like smartphones have in future MacBooks (all models)?!

Apple Big Mac
Jun 7, 2011, 07:56 PM
Will there soon be cases of Macs getting remotely wiped by hackers who have been able to get into people's iCloud accounts?

Also, the person who said the grey lock screen looks like EFI is wrong. It's a variation of the new Lion login screen (http://www.cultofmac.com/here-is-lions-new-login-screen/).

taxiapple
Jun 7, 2011, 07:59 PM
Will there soon be cases of Macs getting remotely wiped by hackers who have been able to get into people's iCloud account?

Tell us what you think.

Apple Big Mac
Jun 7, 2011, 08:24 PM
I think having that amount of power over iDevices and now Macs in this single area makes for a very tempting target. A target that uses single factor authentication and which most people probably don't use the greatest passwords on. I could see iCloud being phished and people getting their Macs remotely wiped very easily.

HydroMan
Jun 7, 2011, 08:41 PM
I got burgled last month and they stole my iMac :( I want to try this out, only problem is I will have to buy another Mac ...

luci216
Jun 7, 2011, 08:48 PM
This reminds me of an article I read on USA Today about a kid that had such a software (3rd party) on his stolen MBP and was able to take photos of his thief and eventually caught him despite the police's lack of cooperation.

Do macs have GPSs in them in order to be able to locate them in the same manner as the iphone?

Apple Big Mac
Jun 7, 2011, 09:02 PM
No. It's not using GPS. It's based on the network the Mac is on.

AidenShaw
Jun 7, 2011, 09:18 PM
Will there soon be cases of Macs getting remotely wiped by hackers who have been able to get into people's iCloud accounts?

Oh, that sounds like fun!

ten-oak-druid
Jun 7, 2011, 10:08 PM
This reminds me of an article I read on USA Today about a kid that had such a software (3rd party) on his stolen MBP and was able to take photos of his thief and eventually caught him despite the police's lack of cooperation.

Probably this story:

Stolen Macbook Recovered via Tweets, Photos of Thief (http://www.pcworld.com/article/229410/stolen_macbook_recovered_via_tweets_photos_of_thief.html)

The pay service is called "hidden".

Mal
Jun 7, 2011, 11:19 PM
What the police usually does in such cases is print you a copy of your complaint with which you can get the insurance, if you're covered, to cough up some money. They don't consider investing money and manpower to go after a laptop or phone thief, unless maybe they work in a very small community.

Commonly true. I will say that where I work, we've had a total of about 15 laptops stolen (fortunately not recently), including 3 by fraud. One of those stolen by fraud was turned into a pawn shop, and they reported the serial numbers to the police during the holding period (they are required by law to report the serial numbers of all electronics and not sell them for I think 14 days until the police have a chance to check if they were reported stolen). We never heard anything about the others, including the other two taken by the same people, even though we were able to identify the people who had the one that was found with great detail and pictures.

jW

DocNYz
Jun 7, 2011, 11:22 PM

Hahah I haven't heard anyone use the word "villains" in a while.

maybe a dumb question but if someone stole a mac i assume they could just insert OSX disc and reload. And speaking of reloading can I download 10.7 and then create a disk image so I can do a fresh install instead up update the os?

Has anyone in the Dev program tried this? I'd really like to know if making a disk image and/or physical disk to boot from is possible, it would make life a lot easier for me and many people.

And on another note: Both spaces (as we knew it) and "Tap to drag" is gone... Lovely.

This better not be ****ing true.

Might be missing something but you'd think the cops would rather take these kinds of calls. What's the normal success rate of tracking down a thief vs being handed an easy bust where the criminal is actually located for you on Google Maps and who's bust might lead to the solution of other crimes?

Yeah I don't know where you live but cops don't give a **** about things like this, or major crime, or pretty much anything except staying out of danger and resenting the people they're supposed to be "protecting and serving."

Great, so when the FBI raid my place looking for incriminating documents, I can wipe the computer even after they've taken it :)

Hahah seriously.

sicn
Jun 7, 2011, 11:39 PM
This better not be ****ing true.

Check it for yourself (if you have a dev account), it's gone.

caspersoong
Jun 8, 2011, 02:19 AM
Nice. It needs more security so that people can't just bypass the lock after using Find My Mac.

Heilage
Jun 8, 2011, 02:41 AM
Check it for yourself (if you have a dev account), it's gone.

So, they changed Spaces, and now they have removed it?

sicn
Jun 8, 2011, 03:24 AM
So, they changed Spaces, and now they have removed it?

Well, Spaces is gone from the Preferences, the only way to make use of additional virtual desktops is by clicking applications to full screen mode (so it doesn't seem like you can arrange the additional virtual desktops as you like any more).

What's worse is the missing "tap to hold"...... !!!!!

Heilage
Jun 8, 2011, 03:28 AM
No. No. No. Full screen mode isn't a remotely usable equivalent of Spaces. Full screen mode means no productivity and difficult multitasking. What utter crap.

I'll look into this.

sicn
Jun 8, 2011, 05:27 AM
No. No. No. Full screen mode isn't a remotely usable equivalent of Spaces.

If you send this by e-mail to Steve, you will get an: "We don't agree"... I don't think they are going to change it considering Lion is coming in a month.

Heilage
Jun 8, 2011, 05:49 AM
If you send this by e-mail to Steve, you will get an: "We don't agree"... I don't think they are going to change it considering Lion is coming in a month.

It's kinda sad that they are removing features that directly lowers my productivity, but I guess I have to adapt or move to a different platform.

EDIT: Just watched the keynote, it turns out that Spaces is still there, you can still make desktops and assign apps to them, it's just the approach to doing it that is different.

mijail
Jun 8, 2011, 05:52 AM
No. No. No. Full screen mode isn't a remotely usable equivalent of Spaces. Full screen mode means no productivity and difficult multitasking. What utter crap.

I'll look into this.

There are and always have been, well before Lion, a number of apps that do offer full screen mode precisely for better productivity.

KnightWRX
Jun 8, 2011, 06:33 AM
There are and always have been, well before Lion, a number of apps that do offer full screen mode precisely for better productivity.

Depends on the tasks to accomplish. If you're concentrating on a single task in a single application with a lot of information flow, a full screen window will enhance productivity (less scrolling and searching around). If you're concentrating on a or multiple tasks that require interaction between many different applications, that's where multiple smaller windows overlapping or in a mosaic will be superior (less tabbing around windows to get information).

And yet again, a 3rd scenario : A single task or multiple task that requires interacting with multiple applications that have a lot information flow. What solves this ? Something Microsoft never got : Virtual Desktops. Hey look at that, Apple's Spaces (of course, Apple was quite late to the game on that one, but they got there and better late than never).

That's the beauty of choice and I don't see how Apple implementing a better "full screen" mode in this day of Windowing systems is a negative. It's now up to developers to make the best use of it and for users to use it at the proper times depending on their workflow and habits.

jacksonbloggg
Jun 8, 2011, 07:33 AM
Overall, despite the removed parts, Lions definitely a step forward and will be much better/easier/more efficient to use, and maybe you'll learn to live without spaces eventually. Hopefully! :L

Heilage
Jun 8, 2011, 07:36 AM
Depends on the tasks to accomplish. If you're concentrating on a single task in a single application with a lot of information flow, a full screen window will enhance productivity (less scrolling and searching around). If you're concentrating on a or multiple tasks that require interaction between many different applications, that's where multiple smaller windows overlapping or in a mosaic will be superior (less tabbing around windows to get information).

And yet again, a 3rd scenario : A single task or multiple task that requires interacting with multiple applications that have a lot information flow. What solves this ? Something Microsoft never got : Virtual Desktops. Hey look at that, Apple's Spaces (of course, Apple was quite late to the game on that one, but they got there and better late than never).

That's the beauty of choice and I don't see how Apple implementing a better "full screen" mode in this day of Windowing systems is a negative. It's now up to developers to make the best use of it and for users to use it at the proper times depending on their workflow and habits.

Updates on this, Lion doesn't remember (at least not right in the Beta) where you put an app, so you need to allocate it to a space (or make new spaces) every time you reboot your computer. It takes a while to get back into the flow then, which is ironic considering the keynote where they talk about getting right back to work.

mengel02
Jun 8, 2011, 09:44 AM
Any news or references to iMacs/Macbooks mirroring wirelessly via AirPlay?

sicn
Jun 8, 2011, 10:04 AM
Overall, despite the removed parts, Lions definitely a step forward and will be much better/easier/more efficient to use, and maybe you'll learn to live without spaces eventually. Hopefully! :L

Jacksongbloggg: http://jacksonbloggg.blogspot.com/

I agree that Lion is much faster than Snow Leopard, but REMOVING features aiding productivity and ergonomics is not acceptable (I know I will get bashed by people telling me I should move to Windows and so on).

I am a definite power-user. I use my computer almost exclusively to build software (Java, C/C++ and Objective C) and to run my business, hence, I use my Mac on average 12 hours every day. Being a developer and a business owner, I usually have at the very least 10-15 windows open at any time, having to physically push down the Trackpad is a killer from an ergonomic point of view. I don't even see the reason why they would remove it. The spaces thing I can live with, but the Trackpad thing is a reason enough for me to be very suspicious about the promised delightfulness of Lion.

pondosinatra
Jun 8, 2011, 10:08 AM
I like how in the presentation the one guy at several points had to repeat his pinching gestures for it to work properly....:rolleyes:

frjonah
Jun 8, 2011, 10:54 AM

This is awesome!

Omniblast
Jun 8, 2011, 11:04 AM
Where is the Post humiliating picture of the a$$ho** that stole my mac button? Every tracking program type needs this. It's priceless.

sicn
Jun 8, 2011, 11:39 AM
I agree that Lion is much faster than Snow Leopard, but REMOVING features aiding productivity and ergonomics is not acceptable (I know I will get bashed by people telling me I should move to Windows and so on).

I am a definite power-user. I use my computer almost exclusively to build software (Java, C/C++ and Objective C) and to run my business, hence, I use my Mac on average 12 hours every day. Being a developer and a business owner, I usually have at the very least 10-15 windows open at any time, having to physically push down the Trackpad is a killer from an ergonomic point of view. I don't even see the reason why they would remove it. The spaces thing I can live with, but the Trackpad thing is a reason enough for me to be very suspicious about the promised delightfulness of Lion.

Just adding: Found out that dragging can now be done with three fingers... at least something :-/

macman312
Jun 8, 2011, 08:01 PM
Could this mean in future macs you get a sim tray for 3G access? Apple PLEASE build that in to future macs because this feature will only work if your mac is connected to a wifi if it has 3G built in then it can connect all the time

CodeBreaker
Jun 9, 2011, 09:16 AM
In Mission Control you can create/delete spaces. Watch the keynote!

naix
Jun 13, 2011, 12:12 AM
How can I go about activating this?

Yes - I'm running DP4.

same for me. How do you use this?

pjhamill
Jun 14, 2011, 01:12 PM
same for me. How do you use this?

Download the iCloud beta for Lion, either can be downloaded from the the dev center or elsewhere.

fbartram
Jul 21, 2011, 05:48 AM
When will this feature become available to the public?