PDA

View Full Version : iOS 5 Contains References to Two Next-Generation iPad Models

MacRumors
Jun 7, 2011, 03:34 PM
http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/07/ios-5-contains-references-to-two-next-generation-ipad-models/)

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/ios5_icon.jpg

TUAW reports (http://www.tuaw.com/2011/06/07/ios-5-hints-at-iphone-ipad-updates/) that references to two new iPad models have been discovered in the just-released iOS 5 beta: "iPad3,1" and "iPad3,2". Given that there are currently three iPad 2 models internally identified as "iPad2,1" (Wi-Fi), "iPad2,2" (GSM), and "iPad2,3" (CDMA), the appearance of only two models in iOS 5 lends credence to rumors that the next-generation cellular-capable iPad may come as a world-mode device able to run on either CDMA or GSM networks.

The report does note, however, that these indications of new models do not always lead to new product releases, as a previously-discovered "iPhone3,2" has yet to see the light of day following the release of the GSM (iPhone3,1) and CDMA (iPhone3,3) iPhone 4 models. The missing model may have been destined for a carrier running on a different standard such as T-Mobile's slightly-different GSM 3G network, but a deal with such a carrier may simply have fallen through.

Today's report also cites the presence of "iPhone4,1" and "iPhone4,2" references pointing to the next-generation iPhone. These references are not new, however, as they appeared in iOS 4.3 betas (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/01/13/next-generation-iphones-referenced-in-ios-4-2/) as far back as early January.

Interestingly, iOS 5 currently makes no reference to any unreleased iPod touch models, maxing out at the current "iPod4,1" fourth-generation iPod touch. This of course does not mean that no new iPod touch is in the works, but it is curious that device identifiers for models presumably set for introduction in just a few months are not included.

Article Link: iOS 5 Contains References to Two Next-Generation iPad Models (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/07/ios-5-contains-references-to-two-next-generation-ipad-models/)

wordoflife
Jun 7, 2011, 03:38 PM
iPhone 5... yeah!

Reach9
Jun 7, 2011, 03:42 PM
Yeah bring on the iPhone 5 rumors!

Hairball
Jun 7, 2011, 03:43 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

Getting close to finally upgrading my 3GS.

Yvan256
Jun 7, 2011, 03:43 PM
Forget iPhones and their stupidly high monthly fees. Bring on the 5th generation iPod touch!

squeeks
Jun 7, 2011, 03:44 PM
iPhone 5... yeah!

Yeah bring out the iPhone 5 rumors!

These references are not new, however, as they appeared in iOS 4.3 betas as far back as early January.

JANUARY

doesnt mean they will be releasing them next week...

bring on the ipod touch 5

Interestingly, iOS 5 currently makes no reference to any unreleased iPod touch models, maxing out at the current "iPod4,1" fourth-generation iPod touch. This of course does not mean that no new iPod touch is in the works, but it is curious that device identifiers for models presumably set for introduction in just a few months are not included.

Might not be a new model this year...Or it might be late.

emvath
Jun 7, 2011, 03:46 PM
Hmmm....no mention of iPod Touch eh? Quite curious indeed.

Eduardo1971
Jun 7, 2011, 03:49 PM
iPad 2 's' anyone?

:p;)

ThunderSkunk
Jun 7, 2011, 03:50 PM
As far as I know, based on only a couple friends that work there who are unsurprisingly tight-lipped about it & what I've read here, there are two teams in the design group each working independently on the next versions of the hardware. Meaning, if the iPad 2 is out, then one team is working on the 3, and the team that worked on the 2 is beginning on the 4.

Similarly, the team working on the iPhone 5 will begin working on the 7 once the 5 wraps, while the 6 makes its way into testing.

I thought this was fairly common knowledge.

na1577
Jun 7, 2011, 03:51 PM
Since the fifth iPhone has been pushed to September, the next iPod touch has likely been pushed back further. The firmware probably doesn't reference it because it's still far away.

Biolizard
Jun 7, 2011, 03:57 PM
Since the fifth iPhone has been pushed to September, the next iPod touch has likely been pushed back further. The firmware probably doesn't reference it because it's still far away.

I'm skeptical that they'd push too far back. Christmas is probably the peak season for the iPod Touch; indeed, iPods in general. But that's logic talking, and logic != business.

juicedropsdeuce
Jun 7, 2011, 03:59 PM
I've heard a few rumors stating the next iPhone will replace the Touch, and they will EOL the Touch this fall.

James Enright
Jun 7, 2011, 04:05 PM
I'm skeptical that they'd push too far back. Christmas is probably the peak season for the iPod Touch; indeed, iPods in general. But that's logic talking, and logic != business.

I agree, its unlikely that apple would push back the ipod touch and the iphone 5. Since we've been hearing rumors that the iphone 5 will be a speed upgrade just like the iphone 3Gs was for the iPhone 3G I think that all there going to change about the ipod touch is a similar speed bump. That would mean that there would be a lot less work involved as there would be no form factor change. It would also be unlike apple to miss the holiday season. Last year there was a new :apple:TV and all the ipods were spruced up for christmas time, there was also the macbook air.

James Enright
Jun 7, 2011, 04:08 PM
I've heard a few rumors stating the next iPhone will replace the Touch, and they will EOL the Touch this fall.

There going to stay as rumors. The iphone couldn't replace the touch, lots of the children I know got ipod touches for christmas. An iphone would be a little over the top for a 7 year old.

theelysium
Jun 7, 2011, 04:14 PM
I think they read too much into those model number things. They are just for testing purposes. How do we know the ipad ones aren't for the current iPads?

It seems like a bunch of hot air to blab about.

ravenvii
Jun 7, 2011, 04:15 PM
There going to stay as rumors. The iphone couldn't replace the touch, lots of the children I know got ipod touches for christmas. An iphone would be a little over the top for a 7 year old.

If the rumors are to be believed, it would be similar to the iPad's situation - an iPhone 3G+WiFi and iPhone WiFi if you will.

theelysium
Jun 7, 2011, 04:16 PM
I think it will be a small upgrade. iPhone4S.

It's in their $$$ interest to go with the smaller upgrade.

James Enright
Jun 7, 2011, 04:19 PM
If the rumors are to be believed, it would be similar to the iPad's situation - an iPhone 3G+WiFi and iPhone WiFi if you will.

Then the iPhone WiFi would just be an iPod touch with a different name and form factor. It could be a possibility, but it would just make for a thicker iPod touch.

ivladster
Jun 7, 2011, 04:20 PM
What if Apple drops iPod Classic and calls iPod touch just an iPod. This might finally make a family. iPod, iPod nano and iPod shuffle. But, they would also have to bump up the storage to 256GBs while making iPhone 64GBs.

cav23j
Jun 7, 2011, 04:20 PM

that wouldn't make sense
the carriers would never go for that
they want to charge data plans for all smartphones so the iPhone WiFi would be extremely high-priced to make up for no data plans

drummerdude1390
Jun 7, 2011, 04:21 PM
I think it will be a small upgrade. iPhone4S.

It's in their $$$ interest to go with the smaller upgrade.

no its not....they want to give people a reason to upgrade to iphone5

SpinThis!
Jun 7, 2011, 04:21 PM
It seems like a bunch of hot air to blab about.
Pretty much. It's all about the hype. Apple knows blogs like this report on just about any potential new product string in some plist somewhere. They're controlled leaks.

Anyone who thinks these strings are for public "testing" purposes is seriously fooling themselves. Why even build for the public at all? It'd be all to easy to generate separate builds without those strings inside if they wanted to keep things tight lipped but the hype is much better so they do it.

manu chao
Jun 7, 2011, 04:22 PM
Forget iPhones and their stupidly high monthly fees. Bring on the 5th generation iPod touch!
You mean the stupidly high price of an iPhone?
iPhone 4 32 GB: £612 (pre-VAT: $839)
iPod touch 32 GB: £254 (pre-VAT: $348)
http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone?mco=MTAyNTQzMjI
http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/ipod_touch?mco=MTAyNTQzMDY

gwest
Jun 7, 2011, 04:24 PM
Interesting about no mention of the iPod Touch. By this time each year Apple has started their Educational Incentive offering college students a free iPod Touch when they by a Mac. That hasn't happened and it's pretty late. I wonder if no revision is in the works, meaning no reason to dump inventory.

Spock
Jun 7, 2011, 04:25 PM

Im not so sure, I know a 9 year old with an iPhone 3GS. It would make sense to get rid of the iPod Touch if Apple could lower the price of the iPhone. The iPod Touch is pretty much a skinny iPhone 4 with a bad camera w/o flash or without a headset speaker and cellular capabilities, these things could easily be added at a low cost to Apple, don't want it to be a phone? don't include a sim card. Unlocked 8GB iPhones starting at $259 ;)

ravenvii
Jun 7, 2011, 04:27 PM
that wouldn't make sense
they want to charge data plans for all smartphones so the iPhone WiFi would be extremely high-priced to make up for no data plans

Um, they seem to be just fine with the iPad WiFi and the iPod touch.

You do know that the iPod touch is basically an iPhone WiFi, right?

juicedropsdeuce
Jun 7, 2011, 04:33 PM
Then the iPhone WiFi would just be an iPod touch with a different name and form factor. It could be a possibility, but it would just make for a thicker iPod touch.

This is what will happen. Jobs is unhappy with the rapidly growing number of SKUs in the iOS family. Too clunky.

baleensavage
Jun 7, 2011, 04:39 PM
I'd be fine with that if it doesn't mean iPhone pricing and it means the end of that awful shiny metal back. But if they EOL the iPod touch without a suitable replacement, many people will be very irate, myself included. I've got no need for overpriced data plans or the huge bulkiness of an iPad. But you can pry my iPod touch from my cold dead hands.

James Enright
Jun 7, 2011, 04:41 PM
This is what will happen. Jobs is unhappy with the rapidly growing number of SKUs in the iOS family. Too clunky.

How do you know that? Not being critical just inquiring:confused:

8CoreWhore
Jun 7, 2011, 04:43 PM
Cool!

iPhone 5 will debut when iOS5 does - double whiz bang bam!

bpeeps
Jun 7, 2011, 05:13 PM

S/he doesn't, they're just speculating like everyone else.

Reach9
Jun 7, 2011, 05:13 PM
Kids should not get the iPhone, a iPod touch is fine for them. They just need those $0 phones that parents can use to keep in touch with. I think anything more, especially a smartphone is inappropriate for a kid.

There will most probably be an iPod Touch during the September iPod event when the iPhone will be announced.

juicedropsdeuce
Jun 7, 2011, 05:15 PM

Jobs said he was unhappy with the growing number of SKUs. They'll be able to combine data plan iPads, but that's not enough. Jonny Ive has significantly reduced the thickness of the next iPhone due in September (thanks to liquidmetal) such that there is no longer any reason to distinguish the iPod touch as a separate product based on form factor.

dal20402
Jun 7, 2011, 05:21 PM
Kids should not get the iPhone, a iPod touch is fine for them. They just need those $0 phones that parents can use to keep in touch with. I think anything more, especially a smartphone is inappropriate for a kid.

:confused:

How is the functionality of an iPod touch + $0 phone any different for a kid than the functionality of an iPhone, other than making it twice as likely that the kid will lose one of them?

res1233
Jun 7, 2011, 05:25 PM
that wouldn't make sense

Last I checked, the price is REDUCED due to the contract, so an iPhone with no contract would be at the regular price, which the majority of us never have to pay. You seem to be thinking about it backwards.

Benjamins
Jun 7, 2011, 05:41 PM
I think it makes sense to rename the iPod touch as iPad.

Harpoon Spoon
Jun 7, 2011, 06:24 PM
You mean to tell me that there's going to be another ipad and iphone?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!! I thought apple was stopping at ipad 2 and iphone 4.

cav23j
Jun 7, 2011, 07:30 PM
Um, they seem to be just fine with the iPad WiFi and the iPod touch.

You do know that the iPod touch is basically an iPhone WiFi, right?

missing the phone
the ability to text without needing Wi-Fi
huge difference
and camera quality is a huge difference

mccldwll
Jun 7, 2011, 07:44 PM
Jobs said he was unhappy with the growing number of SKUs. They'll be able to combine data plan iPads, but that's not enough. Jonny Ive has significantly reduced the thickness of the next iPhone due in September (thanks to liquidmetal) such that there is no longer any reason to distinguish the iPod touch as a separate product based on form factor.

Yet another steaming pile. Please quit trolling while you're behind.

catracho
Jun 7, 2011, 10:15 PM
They will not add more GBs to iPhones or iPods. Less costs, more money with iCloud...

Tigger11
Jun 7, 2011, 10:22 PM
S/he doesn't, they're just speculating like everyone else.

No actually that was stated during Apples quarterly call in, though I honestly dont recall if Steve is the one who said it. There are 18 Ipad SKUs, its a nightmare for supply/production/etc. Thats why they are going to unify the ATT/Verizon IPads and I honestly wouldnt be surprised if the Wifi only unit doesnt become a thing of the past, it doesnt cost them $170 to add the radio and 6 SKUs (1 of each color and size) would be much more easy to manage. As for the other comment about the Ipod Touch being replace by a phone without a chip, parts wise the current generation Ipod Touch and Iphone are within $20 or $30 in parts, it might make alot of sense to go that way since the Iphone is a superior product except for space (ie no 64 GB phone at this time). Camera is better, more ram, GPS, etc, and that is coming from someone who doesnt have an Iphone but has 3 Ipod Touches.

KingCrimson
Jun 7, 2011, 10:42 PM
It's insanity to give a smartphone to a child.

cvaldes
Jun 7, 2011, 10:42 PM
Last I checked, the price is REDUCED due to the contract, so an iPhone with no contract would be at the regular price, which the majority of us never have to pay. You seem to be thinking about it backwards.
Correct.

The iPhone is quite spendy in countries where cellular contracts and subsidized hardware don't exist.

cav23j doesn't seem to be familiar with cellular pricing outside the United States of Amerika.

ten-oak-druid
Jun 8, 2011, 01:30 AM
Will there ever be an ipad from which you can make a phone call?

I think for those people who want an iphone and an ipad, it would be nice to be able to move the SIM card back and forth and enable phone service on the one you choose at the moment. No need to carry both at once. Without the card, each device becomes wifi only.

For myself I find the iphone and kindle a nice combination that compliment one another and at a good price. I prefer kindle to ibooks and I like the E-ink. The other features on the ipad are duplicated on my iphone so it seems silly to get both and carry them around together. But if you could use the ipad as a phone too and leave the smaller device behind on a given day then I see owning an ipad + iphone to be more useful. Just carry the one you plan to use most that day.

caspersoong
Jun 8, 2011, 02:22 AM
Hopefully the next iPod touch is not delayed...

jonnysods
Jun 8, 2011, 08:06 AM
The CDMA iPad won't run 4.3 though.

kcwookie
Jun 8, 2011, 09:01 AM
It would make more sense to make the next iPhone the same way they make the iPad. Make one that is WiFi only that could make Skype and Facetime calls and the other one that would have 3G/4G service. The phone could be used for any provider and could be used with a contract or month to month. This device would render the iPod Touch useless and return the iPods to the music devices they currently are. The new iPhone would give consumers a lot of choice. I'm one of those who uses Skype more than I do my cell phone. It's time to start the post cell phone world.

kcwookie
Jun 8, 2011, 09:04 AM
Will there ever be an ipad from which you can make a phone call?

I use Skype IN and OUT with my iPad. It has become my main telephone, replacing my Android. Yes, the iPad is not a handset, but it does work fairly well.:)

nicky89
Jun 8, 2011, 09:11 AM
It would make more sense to make the next iPhone the same way they make the iPad. Make one that is WiFi only that could make Skype and Facetime calls and the other one that would have 3G/4G service. The phone could be used for any provider and could be used with a contract or month to month. This device would render the iPod Touch useless and return the iPods to the music devices they currently are. The new iPhone would give consumers a lot of choice. I'm one of those who uses Skype more than I do my cell phone. It's time to start the post cell phone world.

Would really like to see that, too, but I think most people aren´t ready for this, yet;-).

stelligent
Jun 8, 2011, 10:16 AM
I wouldn't worry about the iPhone and iPad version #'s. Clearly Apple can't count (as in ICANTCOUNT). Scott Forstall said he was going to describe a list 10 iOS 5 features and then talked about like 15 of them: http://bit.ly/l49OYL

zergy
Jun 8, 2011, 12:43 PM
This indication would seem to jive with the failure of the rumor of a new Student Promotion being announced at WWDC. These were (I think) to clear out old iPod stock prior to the introduction of new models in Sept.

Still, I can't believe Apple won't update the iPod Touch this year, but maybe they are shifting to a Sept iPhone update and May iPad/iPod update schedule?...this might give them time to finally acquire enough chips to move to 128GB capacity and/or new ARM cpus given the current supply disruptions in Asia.

Personally, I (and many others I think) will be simply going to an iPhone/iPad combo when our wireless contracts expire, now that the iPhone is so widely available and with iCloud on the horizon, so maybe Apple sees the wifi-only iPods as decreasing in importance as they move to always-connected iCloud (Sony, etc seem to be moving this way with 3G 'Vita'). Personally (and I know this is just my opinion) I would absolutely go for a 1st gen iPad or an iPhone over an iPod touch at this point, and I see less and less iPods and waaay more iPhone 4's/iPads in the wild on campuses.

brunozs
Jun 8, 2011, 04:25 PM
What if Apple drops iPod Classic and calls iPod touch just an iPod. This might finally make a family. iPod, iPod nano and iPod shuffle. But, they would also have to bump up the storage to 256GBs while making iPhone 64GBs.

I think the classic is on it's way out. They dropped the iPod icon on iOS 5, the classic hasn't been upgraded in years, and it's been awhile since i've seen anyone buying this model.

I think there's a great chance they'll drop de iconic iPod Classic on the next line refresh, among with a 128gb iPod touch release.

Similarly, the team working on the iPhone 5 will begin working on the 7 once the 5 wraps, while the 6 makes its way into testing.

Well this theory may explain why iPhone 1st Gen and iPhone 4 are metal and glass top notch phones and the iPhone 3G is made from plastic sh* :p