Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NotMyCupOfTea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
New Mexico
I'm transferred all of my iTunes library (iTunes folder) from my PC to Mac via Ethernet. After the the transfer I noticed I have 457 GB of data in iTunes PC and 491 GB in my iTunes Mac. More data on the mac? What's up with that??

50wyldeman

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2011
Northern California
A couple of things come to mind here. I dont know what the disc sizes are, meaning, if say the windows machine was an old xp machine with like a 30 gig drive and the mac is newer and thus has a significantly larger drive (1tb or so) you will get a difference because of the way the file system allocates data.
Also the file systems are different so each file system will write the data differently ( hope I'm saying that right)size will be different this will add up more than you think.

Kinda think of this like when u make a backup onto cd the cd file system is much more efficient, so the file is "tighter" normally than off of your hard drive.

However it does seem like a large gap I would def question it myself if I were in your shoes. Have you compared the two to make certain there are the same number of files in each?

I have seen that there are many people here significantly "smarter" than I hopefully one of them will chime in.

good luck

NotMyCupOfTea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
New Mexico
Thanks for the response! Exactly, what's even more weird is I get about 32,000 files on my PC and about 41,000 on my Mac!? I mean I guess it's safer to have more than less, but doesn't make much sense..

A couple of things come to mind here. I dont know what the disc sizes are, meaning, if say the windows machine was an old xp machine with like a 30 gig drive and the mac is newer and thus has a significantly larger drive (1tb or so) you will get a difference because of the way the file system allocates data.
Also the file systems are different so each file system will write the data differently ( hope I'm saying that right)size will be different this will add up more than you think.

Kinda think of this like when u make a backup onto cd the cd file system is much more efficient, so the file is "tighter" normally than off of your hard drive.

However it does seem like a large gap I would def question it myself if I were in your shoes. Have you compared the two to make certain there are the same number of files in each?

I have seen that there are many people here significantly "smarter" than I hopefully one of them will chime in.

good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.